IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

John Lennon, my Inspiration

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I havven't liked any since their black album. Funny how they changed so much. I was listening to Ride The Lightning the other day. They were really good once - shame. Luckily there are lots of other good bands around.

Jo

-

peter VV

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:06 PM

Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

Yeah too right, have they sued anyone lately for downloads? Lars has a lovely art collection apparently. I thought their last album sucked like a hoover.............

The Valley Vegan.......fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

of course metallic also went from being into the music into being businessmen as well

Peter Jun 9, 2006 1:35 PM Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

Hi Peter

>Strange thing is, a lot of musicians I have listened to produced/played better when on something or other, e.g. Clapton, the

> guy was awsome.....now he dresses like a banker, plays white mans blues as though he couldnt care less, and supports the

> countryside alliance?

I have to say that I reckon Clapton is about the most overrated guitarist ever. I've never heard anything particularly special in the way he plays, unlike a whole load of other guitarists who play in a similar style.

About the only musician I can think of who played particularly well while high is Jimi Hendrix - but I have no idea what he'd have been like when clean.

Just look at what happened to Metallica when they started getting high on stage - their shows plummeted in quality...

BB

Peter I don't wanna be no war hero Don't want a movie made about me I don't wanna be no war hero Just get away from the madness I see

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

I think Gary Moore is rather good. Probably said the wrong thing now. I used to like blues when I was young and don't mind it now, but prefer other music.

Jo

-

peter VV

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:13 PM

I agree about Hendrix, who wouldnt? Clapton is so pedestrian, maybe its an age thing, he was a lot better when he was younger though, maybe it was because he was trying hard to mimic his electric idols ( Freddy King/ BB King etc ), and he was rubbing shoulders with some great guitarists at the time ( Page/ Hendrix ) so maybe he was trying harder in those days..........?????

The Valley Vegan............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

>Strange thing is, a lot of musicians I have listened to produced/played better when on something or other, e.g. Clapton, the

> guy was awsome.....now he dresses like a banker, plays white mans blues as though he couldnt care less, and supports the

> countryside alliance?

I have to say that I reckon Clapton is about the most overrated guitarist ever. I've never heard anything particularly special in the way he plays, unlike a whole load of other guitarists who play in a similar style.

About the only musician I can think of who played particularly well while high is Jimi Hendrix - but I have no idea what he'd have been like when clean.

Just look at what happened to Metallica when they started getting high on stage - their shows plummeted in quality...

BB

Peter

Peter H

Guest guest

I'll bring some vegan cream if Nikki could bring strawberries.

Jo

-

" earthstrm " <earthstorm

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:37 PM

Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

Perhaps we should pack some supplies then just in case. I will bring

Vegan cookies. :)

Nikki

, " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> Well I'll join in too - cos it sounds like fun.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

> -

> " earthstrm " <earthstorm

>

> Friday, June 09, 2006 5:57 PM

> Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

>

>

> > LOL - lights lighter and sways with Fraggle

> >

> > Nikki :)

> >

> >

> > RE: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

> >

> >

> > all we are saying...

> > is give me some beer....

> > *rocks from side to side*

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Peter

>Sorry, I must have misinterperated his tone when he said "I WAS WRITING STUFF LIKE THAT WHEN i WAS 12"

Well, I didn't shout, but in terms of the basic music, it's true. It's not intended as a boast - just pointing out that anyone with some basic musical ability can write songs like that.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

>I agree about Hendrix, who wouldnt? Clapton is so pedestrian, maybe its an age thing, he was a lot better when he was

> younger though, maybe it was because he was trying hard to mimic his electric idols ( Freddy King/ BB King etc ), and he

> was rubbing shoulders with some great guitarists at the time ( Page/ Hendrix ) so maybe he was trying harder in those

> days..........?????

For me that's the problem with Clapton... he was trying too hard. People like Page, BB King, Gary Moore, Wotsisname Gallagher all have a talent for putting all their emotion into their music. Clapton seemed to want to emulate them, but IMHO never understood the emotional thing, so just ended up playing the notes....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I agree to a certain extent, maybe the drugs heitened his emotions thats why he was better in days of old, but he sure is goin thru the motions now. Rory was Gallaghers name RIP. The Valley Vegan..............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >I agree about Hendrix, who wouldnt? Clapton is so pedestrian, maybe its an age thing, he was a lot better when he was > younger though, maybe it was because he was trying hard to mimic his electric idols ( Freddy King/ BB King etc ), and he > was rubbing shoulders with some great guitarists at the time ( Page/ Hendrix ) so maybe he

was trying harder in those > days..........????? For me that's the problem with Clapton... he was trying too hard. People like Page, BB King, Gary Moore, Wotsisname Gallagher all have a talent for putting all their emotion into their music. Clapton seemed to want to emulate them, but IMHO never understood the emotional thing, so just ended up playing the notes.... BB Peter Peter H

Guest guest

Yes Gary is a good player.. The Valley Vegan..........jo <jo.heartwork wrote: I think Gary Moore is rather good. Probably said the wrong thing now. I used to like blues when I was young and don't mind it now, but prefer other music. Jo - peter VV Friday, June 09, 2006 9:13 PM Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration I agree about Hendrix, who wouldnt? Clapton is so pedestrian, maybe its an age thing, he was a lot better when he was younger though, maybe it was because he was trying hard to mimic his electric idols ( Freddy King/ BB King etc ), and he was rubbing shoulders with some great guitarists at the time ( Page/ Hendrix ) so maybe he was trying harder in those days..........????? The Valley Vegan............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >Strange thing is, a lot of musicians I have listened to produced/played better when on something or other, e.g. Clapton, the > guy was awsome.....now he dresses like a banker, plays white mans blues as though he couldnt care less, and supports the > countryside alliance? I have to say that I reckon Clapton is about the most overrated guitarist ever. I've never heard anything particularly special in the way he plays, unlike a whole load of other guitarists who play in a similar style. About the only musician I can think of who played particularly well while high is Jimi Hendrix - but I

have no idea what he'd have been like when clean. Just look at what happened to Metallica when they started getting high on stage - their shows plummeted in quality... BB Peter Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H

Guest guest

I`m with you on that one. The Valley Vegan.............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: I havven't liked any since their black album. Funny how they changed so much. I was listening to Ride The Lightning the other day. They were really good once - shame. Luckily there are lots of other good bands around. Jo - peter VV Friday, June 09, 2006 9:06 PM Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration Yeah too right, have they sued anyone lately for downloads? Lars has a lovely art collection apparently. I thought their last album sucked like a hoover............. The Valley Vegan.......fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: of course metallic also went from being

into the music into being businessmen as well Peter Jun 9, 2006 1:35 PM Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration Hi Peter >Strange thing is, a lot of musicians I have listened to produced/played better when on something or other, e.g. Clapton, the > guy was awsome.....now he dresses like a banker, plays white mans blues as though he couldnt care less, and supports the > countryside alliance? I have to say that I reckon Clapton is about the most overrated guitarist ever. I've never heard anything particularly special in the way he plays, unlike a whole load of other guitarists who play in a similar style. About the only musician I can think of who played particularly well while high is Jimi Hendrix - but I have no idea what he'd have been like when clean. Just look at what happened to Metallica when they started getting high on stage - their shows plummeted in quality... BB Peter I don't wanna be no war hero Don't want a movie made about me I don't wanna be no war hero Just get away from the madness I see Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H

Guest guest

I bet every one of the bands in those formats has recorded or at least played one song with only 3 chords?Shirley?there may be riffs but they will based on 3 chords? Maybe I`m wrong.gettin old.......... You needent feel oblidged to me dear Peter. Blessed Doodads to you. The Valley Vegan..............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >Every genre has 3 chord songs... Y'know, I'd completely missed this statement before, and I do feel obliged to point out that progressive rock / metal does not have three chord songs! :-) BB Peter Peter H

Guest guest

sorry , didnt mean to shout, just an imbecile at his keyboard. I understand what you were saying about writing 3 chord songs, did the same meeself, although never had a hit record with any.......... The Valley Vegan............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >Sorry, I must have misinterperated his tone when he said "I WAS WRITING STUFF LIKE THAT WHEN i WAS 12" Well, I didn't shout, but in terms of the basic music, it's true. It's not intended as a boast - just pointing out that anyone with some basic musical ability can write songs like that. BB Peter Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I think you should go just to take notes for the rest of us. :)

Nikki

, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> If they need a referee, I have a garden hose, a piece of 4 x 2,

and can shout loudly.

>

> The Valley Vegan............

>

> earthstrm <earthstorm wrote:

> Hi Michael,

>

> > PPS If you're ever over in the UK, look me up.

>

> Well that is perfect, he is! Perhaps you two could meet for coffee

> sometime and get it all done at once. :)

>

> Nikki

Guest guest

Hi Jo

I agree, I didn't really like the black album but thought that they

were great in everything before that.

BB

Nikki

>

> I havven't liked any since their black album. Funny how they

changed so much. I was listening to Ride The Lightning the other

day. They were really good once - shame. Luckily there are lots of

other good bands around.

>

> Jo

Guest guest

Hi Jo

ABSOLUTELY! I have tons of Everberries and some good Juneberries going

crazy in the backyard. I have to pick them twice a day. Some are being

eaten, some frozen. So I have plenty to share!

BB

Nikki :)

>

> I'll bring some vegan cream if Nikki could bring strawberries.

>

> Jo

>

> -

> " earthstrm " <earthstorm

>

> Friday, June 09, 2006 9:37 PM

> Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

>

>

> Perhaps we should pack some supplies then just in case. I will bring

> Vegan cookies. :)

>

> Nikki

Guest guest

hi peter.

poppycock.

peace

colin.

-

Peter Kebbell

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:05 PM

Hi Colin

> jealous guy could'n't have been written by an average song writer only by a musical genius

> with fantastic depth.

Most of Lennon's material is three chord songs. I was writing that sort of stuff when I was 12. As someone once said, Tony Clarkin could have knocked out a whole Beatles album in his lunch hour...

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

>I bet every one of the bands in those formats has recorded or at least played one song with only 3 chords?Shirley?there

> may be riffs but they will based on 3 chords? Maybe I`m wrong.gettin old..........

It would somewhat defeat the point of the "progressive" bit of the genre....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

>sorry , didnt mean to shout, just an imbecile at his keyboard. I understand what you were saying about writing 3 chord

> songs, did the same meeself, although never had a hit record with any..........

Nah - I've never had a hit record either (well, unless you include being in the audience on a couple of number one hits....). Although one band I was in was described by Herbie Flowers (of Walk on The Wildside fame) as the best in the south of England :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Nikki

I think the black album was the turning point for most people - they either

like before or after - not many people like both. The black album seems to

be accepted by either side.

BB

Jo

-

" earthstrm " <earthstorm

Saturday, June 10, 2006 12:31 AM

Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

> Hi Jo

>

> I agree, I didn't really like the black album but thought that they

> were great in everything before that.

>

> BB

> Nikki

>

> , " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

> >

> > I havven't liked any since their black album. Funny how they

> changed so much. I was listening to Ride The Lightning the other

> day. They were really good once - shame. Luckily there are lots of

> other good bands around.

> >

> > Jo

>

To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Hi Colin

>poppycock.

Congratulations on a well reasoned argument there ;-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Colin

Rubbish

Peace

Jo

-

Colin Sky

Saturday, June 10, 2006 3:12 AM

hi peter.

poppycock.

peace

colin.

-

Peter Kebbell

Hi Colin

> jealous guy could'n't have been written by an average song writer only by a musical genius

> with fantastic depth.

Most of Lennon's material is three chord songs. I was writing that sort of stuff when I was 12. As someone once said, Tony Clarkin could have knocked out a whole Beatles album in his lunch hour...

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Yo peace out The Valley Vegan..........dont make me get off my beat box!jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Colin Rubbish Peace Jo - Colin Sky Saturday, June 10, 2006 3:12 AM Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration hi peter. poppycock. peace colin. - Peter Kebbell Friday, June 09, 2006 9:05 PM Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration Hi Colin > jealous guy could'n't have been written by an average song writer only by a musical genius > with fantastic depth. Most of Lennon's material is three chord songs. I was writing that sort of stuff when I was 12. As someone once said, Tony Clarkin could have knocked out a whole Beatles album in his lunch hour... BB Peter Peter H

Guest guest

O.K. I give in, how many points do you get for that? tripple word score? wot am I on about? The Valley Vegan..........Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >I bet every one of the bands in those formats has recorded or at least played one song with only 3 chords?Shirley?there > may be riffs but they will based on 3 chords? Maybe I`m wrong.gettin old.......... It would somewhat defeat the point of the "progressive" bit of the genre.... BB Peter Peter H

Guest guest

Coiln, a fine-sounding expletive, but hardly heard on anybody’s lips these days, and with a dated feel. It seems eminently English: think of elderly ex-Indian-Army colonels in retirement in Tunbridge Wells exploding in wrath over some supposed mismanagement of the country’s affairs and writing disgusted letters to The Times about it. And most of the citations for it in the big Oxford English Dictionary are from British sources. But, as the OED reminds us, the word is actually American in origin, first turning up there about 1865. The OED is silent on its origin, but most modern dictionaries know well where it comes from: the Dutch word pappekak for soft faeces. The word was presumably taken to the USA by Dutch settlers; the scatological associations were lost when the word moved into the English-language community. The first half of the word is closely related to our pap for infants’ soft

food; the second half is essentially the same as the old English cack for excrement; the verb form of this word is older than the noun, and has been recorded as far back as the fifteenth century. So there’s no link with the vulgar meaning of cock. Nor is it linked to the sense of cock for rubbish (as in phrases like that’s a load of old cock), as that’s a shortened form of cock and bull story, which comes from a fable concerning a bull and a cockerel. So wash your mouth out.......... The Valley Vegan............Colin Sky <colinsky wrote: hi peter.

poppycock. peace colin. - Peter Kebbell Friday, June 09, 2006 9:05 PM Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration Hi Colin > jealous guy could'n't have been written by an average song writer only by a musical genius > with fantastic depth. Most of Lennon's material is three chord songs. I was writing that sort of stuff when I was 12. As someone once said, Tony Clarkin could have knocked out a whole Beatles album in his lunch hour... BB Peter Peter H

Guest guest

In Welsh? The Valley Vegan.........earthstrm <earthstorm wrote: Hi PeterI think you should go just to take notes for the rest of us. :)Nikki , peter VV wrote:>> If they need a referee, I have a garden hose, a piece of 4 x 2, and can shout loudly.> > The Valley Vegan............> > earthstrm wrote:> Hi Michael,> > > PPS If you're ever over in the UK, look me up.> > Well that is perfect, he is! Perhaps you two could meet for coffee > sometime and get it all done at once. :)> > Nikki

Guest guest

Hi Peter

So, you feeling a bit stuck for something to do this evening? ;-)

But interesting stuff, nonetheless :-)

BB

Peter

On 10/06/06, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Coiln,

a fine-sounding expletive, but hardly heard on anybody's lips these days, and with a dated feel. It seems eminently English: think of elderly ex-Indian-Army colonels in retirement in Tunbridge Wells exploding in wrath over some supposed mismanagement of the country's affairs and writing disgusted letters to The Times about it. And most of the citations for it in the big Oxford English Dictionary are from British sources. But, as the OED reminds us, the word is actually American in origin, first turning up there about 1865. The OED is silent on its origin, but most modern dictionaries know well where it comes from: the Dutch word pappekak for soft faeces. The word was presumably taken to the USA by Dutch settlers; the scatological associations were lost when the word moved into the English-language community. The first half of the word is closely related to our pap for infants' soft food; the second half is essentially the same as the old English cack for excrement; the verb form of this word is older than the noun, and has been recorded as far back as the fifteenth century. So there's no link with the vulgar meaning of cock. Nor is it linked to the sense of cock for rubbish (as in phrases like that's a load of old cock), as that's a shortened form of cock and bull story, which comes from a fable concerning a bull and a cockerel.

So wash your mouth out..........

The Valley Vegan............

Colin Sky <colinsky wrote:

hi peter.

poppycock.

peace

colin.

-

Peter Kebbell

Hi Colin

> with fantastic depth.

BB

Peter

Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Peter

>In Welsh?

Allow me to translate:

Llan llewyllen derwydd lladdell... how's that?

(BTW, just in case I've said anything rude in Welsh, I don't speak the language, and just strung together a few words that have lots of lls and dds)...

BB

Peter

The Valley Vegan.........earthstrm <earthstorm wrote:

Hi PeterI think you should go just to take notes for the rest of us. :)Nikki

, peter VV wrote:>> If they need a referee, I have a garden hose, a piece of 4 x 2, and can shout loudly.> > The Valley Vegan............> > earthstrm wrote:

> Hi Michael,> > > PPS If you're ever over in the UK, look me up.> > Well that is perfect, he is! Perhaps you two could meet for coffee > sometime and get it all done at once. :)

> > Nikki