IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

John Lennon, my Inspiration

Rate this topic

Guest guest

i find it sad they signed to RCA/sony...

not when there is such a large alternative system already set up

but..wotever

peter VV Jun 13, 2006 2:54 PM Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

I doubt it, certainly not in America, wont get airplay, not much chance over here either. I cant see the major label changing them much. The new album still has all their political views, and they havent been asked ( yet ) to tone it down.

The Valley Vegan.............

(Stand Up! Resist!) Monsanto are killers, k-k-k-k-killers (Stand Up! Resist!) Syngenta are killers, k-k-k-k-killers (Stand Up! Resist!) The World Bank are killers, k-k-k-k-killers (Stand Up! Resist!) (Stand Up! Resist!) The WTO are killers, k-k-k-k-killers (Stand Up! Resist!) jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

We'll look out for them in the charts then :-)

Jo

-

peter VV

Monday, June 12, 2006 6:59 PM

Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

" and what makes most money is people who will do whatever the record companies tell them to do - not people who are politically active, and write protest songs.... "

Well Anti Flag just signed with a major label................yahhh!

The Valley Vegan.................Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Anouk

>you must think about how this sounds,

>when you say to someone,

>"I was writting that stuff at 12 and my friends can write

>better songs than Imagine."

>if, they were, then they better Run, not walk...

>to the nearest record executive, with their demos.

I'm afraid that the music industry never works on the quality of music - it works on how marketable the band / individual are. To the extent where the majority of songs which get into the charts aren't even written by the performers. Imagine would probably never have been heard by anyone except John's closest friends if he hadn't already been one of the most popular performers in the Western world - that occurred because he and the Beatles found themselves an excellent manager in their early days, who shaped the band into a marketable commodity.

Personally, I have no desire to become famous, and most of the people who write the songs I know do it as an act of service for their communities - they do not wish to make money from their songs, but wish to share them, and do so by making them "copy-left".

>they are sitting on a million dollars>and we need more songs like Imagine.

Then just go along to peace activist gatherings, and listen out :-)

>by the way, if this guy Tony Clarskin was writing

>beatles albums in his lunch hour..

>how come I've never heard of him?

Because the Beatles had a far better manager than Magnum. There are many bands you've probably never heard of, doesn't mean that they aren't any good - it just means that they don't get played on the radio... When I worked in a recording studio I used to record a guy called "Paco".... every time he released a new album, he'd sell over quarter of a million in the first weekend of release, but because he did it all himself, and wasn't connected to a major record label, he's never been played on the radio, and you've almost certainly never heard of him. A few years back, the new Dream Theater album sold out in the entirity of the UK within 4 hours of release, while the number one album of the week still had hundreds of copies sat in the shelves - yet DT never even got into the top 200... and you've probably never heard of them either.

Sadly, the music industry doesn't work on what people want to hear, it works on who the music industry can make the most money from, and then these tracks flood the radio stations so that they are all most people get to hear... and what makes most money is people who will do whatever the record companies tell them to do - not people who are politically active, and write protest songs....

BB

Peter

, "Peter Kebbell" <metalscarabwrote:>> Hi Colin>> > jealous guy could'n't have been written by an average song writer only by> a musical genius> > with fantastic depth.>> Most of Lennon's material is three chord songs. I was writing thatsort of> stuff when I was 12. As someone once said, Tony Clarkin could have knocked> out a whole Beatles album in his lunch hour...>> BB> Peter>

Guest guest

Hi Anouk

Hey, are you calling me a lump? ;)

just kidding!

I never heard that one, but I like it. The two that I know from the

bible along the same lines is:

Look into thine own heart and be true

and

Judge not least ye be judged yourself

But I do understand what you are saying.

I have no issues with Lennon and I do like the song Imagine. I just

do not think as much of him as others do. Which is no big deal. :)

My issue was the tearing apart going on and the statements that he

did things he did not. But that is all gone now because I am no

longer reading all of the lonnnnggg posts. LOL

Thx Anouk!

((hugz))

Nikki :)

, " Anouk Sickler " <zurumato

wrote:

>

> hi nikki,

>

> it's just that there is a quote from the bible

> that I have in my head, (too many years of bible school)

>

> that says " do not look at the speck in your neighbor's eye

> before you look in the mirror and remove your own speck "

>

> or something like that.

>

> since you guys are always talking/admiring heavy metal bands,

> and you are always cheering Peter and Jo.. I lumped you all

> together. Sorry.

>

> it seems that no one was looking at the speck in heavy metal,

> just the speck in John Lennons eye. :)

>

>

>

Guest guest

hi peter,

what I understood from that quote is

that people should look around them first

before commenting on other people.

this is something I am trying to do. Instrospection,

admiting when I am wrong, etc.

It has been a long time, since I read the bible,

that would explain why I didn't get the quote perfect.

but that is one, i remember that I like, it is similar to

Pot calling the kettle Black.

, " Peter " <metalscarab wrote:

But I wouldn't put any of these people on a

> pedestal, and I wouldn't generally make any comment about what I

thought of

> them as people, since I don't know!

>

> Of course, you do seem to have somewhat misunderstood the suggested

course

> of action from the Bible... it is suggesting that you should treat

yourself

> before you treat others (in either a good or a bad way).... since

none of us

> on here have control of heavy metal, it would be impossible for us to

> " remove the speck " from its eye... besides which, you can find a

line in the

> bible to support any argument you want if you can be bothered to look.

>

> And while I don't particularly think the ten commandments are the best

> method of living life, it does seem rather ironic to use the bible to

> support someone who blatantly and repeatedly broke the 7th one ;-)

>

> BB

> Peter

>

Guest guest

thanku anouk.

-

Anouk Sickler

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:22 AM

Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

hi peter, it was colin that saidthat John Lennon was "the voice of many people"That still is not idolizing. what I understood from that is that JL had access to a microphone. acess to the media.and said what was already in the minds of many people. common people on the street could not go on Television shows and voice their opinion. It is no different from Cindy Shehaan being the "voice" of many, many mothers. and does not mean that people do not have their own unique voice as well. Just a matter of access to the media. , "Peter Kebbell" <metalscarabwrote:>> Hi Michael> > >I'm not at all sure that idolisation is what anyone was discussing.> > I've heard phrases like "Lennon was my voice". That's a touch more than> admiration.> > No-one would even have commented if the comments on Lennon hadmerely been> "I thought he wrote great music", or "I appreciated that he wasinvolved in> peace activism" - it was the fact that the comments went muchfurther than> this that got some of us pointing out that he wasn't perfect....which now> seems to have been agreed by everyone, so it seems rather odd that this> thread is still going....> > BB> Peter>

Guest guest

jo

if this is 'their' clone that is about... no. and wouldn't want to... ;)

col

-

jo

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:09 AM

Colin

Have you heard Australian Pink Floyd?

Jo

-

Colin Sky

Monday, June 12, 2006 11:08 PM

great story. u r legendary character too. :-)

my greatest dissapointed btw about john was he never embraced pink floyd who were my real musical heros...

peace

colin

-

Anouk Sickler

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:13 PM

hi michael, I'd be curious to know how many of us were vegetariansback in the 1970's certainly it was much harder. I am one of the rare onesand was born a vegetarianin that sense I have never tasted meat or fish. however, I know for sure that itwas damn hard, my mom and I walked for milestrying to find a health food storewhen I was a kid. and when they feed me soya milk it tasted gross. back then, it tasted nothing like it does today. so who are we to judge someone for not being vegetarian in the 1970's?Vegetarianism/veganism is something that is progressing with people'sgrowing awareness everyday.any naturally evolving person would reach it, and it's ok to stumble. , "Michael Benis" <michaelbeniswrote:>> He was never really big on vegetarianism ever and never claimed to be.> > His most dangerous drug part from heroin was booze and he largelystopped> it. > > Learning and changing doesn't mean becoming perfect.> > > > > On> Behalf Of jo> 08 June 2006 20:45> > Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration> > He didn't learn though. He kept going back to drugs - just like he kept> having a go at pretending to be vegetarian and deviating from it.> > Jo> >

Guest guest

Hi Jo

> Black Sabbath, for instance, have a vegan and a vegetarian amongst them.

As do Judas Priest... who always wear pleather on stage... I'll never forget the rather amusing incident where PETA made such a big thing about Judas Priest and leather, and got a rather stern letter from Glenn Tipton telling them they should check their facts before casting aspurtions! :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Anouk

>what I understood from that quote is

>that people should look around them first

>before commenting on other people.

>but that is one, i remember that I like, it is similar to

>Pot calling the kettle Black.

These are perfectly valid quotes, but since I've never cheated on anyone, I don't quite see how they relate to me commenting on someone else who has!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Maybe it's not a matter of "cheating" on someone.

Maybe it's a matter of a wider perspective - an insightful, detailed and compassionate perspective - in this case about troubles in a relationship.

Maybe it's a matter of judgement.

On Behalf Of Peter Kebbell14 June 2006 09:26 Subject: Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

Hi Anouk

These are perfectly valid quotes, but since I've never cheated on anyone, I don't quite see how they relate to me commenting on someone else who has!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Michael

>Maybe it's not a matter of " cheating " on someone.

>Maybe it's a matter of a wider perspective - an insightful, detailed and compassionate

>perspective - in this case about troubles in a relationship.

>Maybe it's a matter of judgement.

Maybe it would be better to let Anouk explain what she meant, rather than try to speak for her.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Maybe I was just speaking for myself.

On Behalf Of Peter Kebbell14 June 2006 11:16 Subject: Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

Hi Michael

>Maybe it's not a matter of "cheating" on someone.

>Maybe it's a matter of a wider perspective - an insightful, detailed and compassionate

>perspective - in this case about troubles in a relationship.

>Maybe it's a matter of judgement.

Maybe it would be better to let Anouk explain what she meant, rather than try to speak for her.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Michael

>Maybe I was just speaking for myself.

Maybe you were just continuing your unrelenting attack on me by once again twisting what someone else has said....

You know, I really am getting a little bit fed up with this. There we are having a decent discussion, and you just drag it down again to this level once again. Just grow up.

Peter

Guest guest

Dear Peter,

I'm afraid that was as imprecise as it was violent and uncalled for. I also thought we had achieved a slightly more mature understanding of one another.

I will, however, be quite happy not to answer any of your posts in the future.

I hope you do not judge yourself as harshly as you find it necessary to judge others.

Best wishes

Michael

On Behalf Of Peter Kebbell14 June 2006 11:34 Subject: Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

Hi Michael

Maybe you were just continuing your unrelenting attack on me by once again twisting what someone else has said....

You know, I really am getting a little bit fed up with this. There we are having a decent discussion, and you just drag it down again to this level once again. Just grow up.

Peter

Guest guest

Michael

How very magnanimous of you - I would think that it was just me, but since at least three other people have e-mailed me off list complaining that they're getting fed up with seeing you constantly attacking, and won't I please do something about it, I am confident that it is not merely my perception.

What I would point out is, that as list owner, I do have a responsibility to the list to stop people dragging the tone of the conversation to the level that you have repeatedly done over the past few days, and I am therefore required to make judgements. I am not prepared to put up with your snide, condescending and immature behaviour any longer. If you can't contribute to the list without taking every opportunity to attack other members, then please do not contribute at all.

I apologise to the rest of the list for allowing this to go on so long, and I assure everyone that normal service will now be resumed.

Peter

On 14/06/06, Michael Benis <michaelbenis wrote:

Dear Peter,

I'm afraid that was as imprecise as it was violent and uncalled for. I also thought we had achieved a slightly more mature understanding of one an

other.

I will, however, be quite happy not to answer any of your posts in the future.

I hope you do not judge yourself as harshly as you find it necessary to judge others.

Best wishes

Michael

[

] On Behalf Of Peter Kebbell14 June 2006 11:34

Subject: Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

Hi Michael

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Jo

VERY witty pun! :)

BB

Nikki

, " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> That hopped in too.

>

> Jo

> -

> Michael Benis

>

> Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:29 PM

> RE: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

>

>

> I thought it had turned into a beer thread!

>

Guest guest

I know a pink floyd fan who went to see them and swears that to listen to, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. So why not if they are that good, and they are a tribute? The Valley Vegan................Colin Sky <colinsky wrote: jo if this is 'their' clone that is about... no. and wouldn't want to... ;) col - jo Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:09 AM Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration Colin Have you heard Australian Pink Floyd? Jo - Colin Sky Monday, June 12, 2006 11:08 PM Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration great story. u r legendary character too. :-) my greatest dissapointed btw about john was he never embraced pink floyd who were my real musical heros... peace colin - Anouk Sickler Monday, June 12, 2006 2:13 PM Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration hi michael, I'd be curious to know how many of us were vegetariansback in the 1970's certainly it was much harder. I am one of the rare onesand

was born a vegetarianin that sense I have never tasted meat or fish. however, I know for sure that itwas damn hard, my mom and I walked for milestrying to find a health food storewhen I was a kid. and when they feed me soya milk it tasted gross. back then, it tasted nothing like it does today. so who are we to judge someone for not being vegetarian in the 1970's?Vegetarianism/veganism is something that is progressing with people'sgrowing awareness everyday.any naturally evolving person would reach it, and it's ok to stumble. , "Michael Benis" <michaelbeniswrote:>> He was never really big on vegetarianism ever and never claimed to be.> > His most dangerous drug part from heroin was booze and he largelystopped> it. > >

Learning and changing doesn't mean becoming perfect.> > > > > On> Behalf Of jo> 08 June 2006 20:45> > Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration> > He didn't learn though. He kept going back to drugs - just like he kept> having a go at pretending to be vegetarian and deviating from it.> > Jo> > Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

Colin

They are very good - my husband, who is a Floyd fan, reckons they are just as good if not better. I enjoyed them when we saw them the year before last.

Jo

-

Colin Sky

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:45 AM

jo

col

-

jo

Colin

Jo

-

Colin Sky

my greatest dissapointed btw about john was he never embraced pink floyd who were my real musical heros...

peace

colin

-

Anouk Sickler

hi michael, I'd be curious to know how many of us were vegetariansback in the 1970's certainly it was much harder. I am one of the rare onesand was born a vegetarianin that sense I have never tasted meat or fish. however, I know for sure that itwas damn hard, my mom and I walked for milestrying to find a health food storewhen I was a kid. and when they feed me soya milk it tasted gross. back then, it tasted nothing like it does today. so who are we to judge someone for not being vegetarian in the 1970's?Vegetarianism/veganism is something that is progressing with people'sgrowing awareness everyday.any naturally evolving person would reach it, and it's ok to stumble. , "Michael Benis" <michaelbeniswrote:>> He was never really big on vegetarianism ever and never claimed to be.> > His most dangerous drug part from heroin was booze and he largelystopped> it. > > Learning and changing doesn't mean becoming perfect.> > > > > On> Behalf Of jo> 08 June 2006 20:45> > Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration> > He didn't learn though. He kept going back to drugs - just like he kept> having a go at pretending to be vegetarian and deviating from it.> > Jo> >

Guest guest

Could not compassion also be given to the person who has been the victim of cheating? rather than the one who caused the hurt.

I am aware that people may fall out of love with another person. If that is the case they should end their relationship with them, before starting a relationship with someone else. It seems quite simple to me.

So, my judgement is that people shouldn't cheat on other people.

Jo

-

Michael Benis

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:05 AM

RE: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

Maybe it's not a matter of "cheating" on someone.

Maybe it's a matter of a wider perspective - an insightful, detailed and compassionate perspective - in this case about troubles in a relationship.

Maybe it's a matter of judgement.

On Behalf Of Peter Kebbell14 June 2006 09:26 Subject: Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

Hi Anouk

BB

Peter

Guest guest

jo i know, my mate loves 'em, they clone the music perfectly. i like pink floyd though because they are original and can write their own tunes... ofcourse the john lennon amongst them is roger waters. his' wall is the film and music masterpiece of the twentieth century...

peace

colin

-

jo

Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:22 AM

Colin

They are very good - my husband, who is a Floyd fan, reckons they are just as good if not better. I enjoyed them when we saw them the year before last.

Jo

-

Colin Sky

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:45 AM

jo

col

-

jo

Colin

Jo

-

Colin Sky

peace

colin

-

Anouk Sickler

Guest guest

Hi Colin

I can understand what you are saying.

My choice for concept album of the 21st century (so far) would be the

Dream Theater 'Scenes From a Memory' which followed through from a 20

minute track on one of their earlier albums.

Jo

, " Colin Sky " <colinsky wrote:

>

> jo i know, my mate loves 'em, they clone the music perfectly. i

like pink floyd though because they are original and can write their

own tunes... ofcourse the john lennon amongst them is roger waters.

his' wall is the film and music masterpiece of the twentieth

century...

>

> peace

>

> colin

> -

> jo

>

> Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:22 AM

> Re: Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

>

>

>

> Colin

>

> They are very good - my husband, who is a Floyd fan, reckons they

are just as good if not better. I enjoyed them when we saw them the

year before last.

>

> Jo

> -

> Colin Sky

>

> Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:45 AM

>

>

> jo

>

> if this is 'their' clone that is about... no. and wouldn't

want to... ;)

>

> col

>

>

> -

> jo

>

> Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:09 AM

>

>

>

> Colin

>

> Have you heard Australian Pink Floyd?

>

> Jo

>

> -

> Colin Sky

>

> Monday, June 12, 2006 11:08 PM

>

>

> great story. u r legendary character too. :-)

>

> my greatest dissapointed btw about john was he never

embraced pink floyd who were my real musical heros...

>

> peace

>

> colin

>

>

> -

> Anouk Sickler

>

> Monday, June 12, 2006 2:13 PM

> Re: John Lennon, my Inspiration

>

>

> hi michael,

>

> I'd be curious

> to know how

> many of us were

> vegetarians

> back in the 1970's

>

> certainly it was much harder.

> I am one of the rare ones

> and was born a vegetarian

> in that sense I have never tasted

> meat or fish.

>

> however, I know for sure that it

> was damn hard,

> my mom and I walked for miles

> trying to find a health food store

> when I was a kid.

>

> and when they feed me soya milk

> it tasted gross.

> back then, it tasted nothing like it does

> today.

>

> so who are we to judge someone for not being

> vegetarian in the 1970's?

>

> Vegetarianism/veganism is something that is progressing

with people's

> growing awareness everyday.

> any naturally evolving person would reach it, and it's ok

to

> stumble.

>

> , " Michael Benis "

<michaelbenis@>

> wrote:

> >

> > He was never really big on vegetarianism ever and never

claimed to be.

> >

> > His most dangerous drug part from heroin was booze and

he largely

> stopped

> > it.

> >

> > Learning and changing doesn't mean becoming perfect.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

On

> > Behalf Of jo

> > 08 June 2006 20:45

> >

> > Re: Re: John Lennon, my

Inspiration

> >

> > He didn't learn though. He kept going back to drugs -

just like he kept

> > having a go at pretending to be vegetarian and

deviating from it.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi Jo

>My choice for concept album of the 21st century (so far) would be the

>Dream Theater 'Scenes From a Memory' which followed through from a 20

>minute track on one of their earlier albums.

I'm with you on that one... although the album was actually a prequel to the track, and I think it was actually at the end of the 20th century (I know it doesn't seem that long ago, but they've done 4 albums since!) :-)

Although of other concept albums I do rather like Tobias Sammet's Avantasia albums, and Gary Hughes' Once & Future King albums....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

The other albums you mention are excellent - can I borrow them again sometime :-)

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:40 AM

Hi Jo

>My choice for concept album of the 21st century (so far) would be the

>Dream Theater 'Scenes From a Memory' which followed through from a 20

>minute track on one of their earlier albums.

I'm with you on that one... although the album was actually a prequel to the track, and I think it was actually at the end of the 20th century (I know it doesn't seem that long ago, but they've done 4 albums since!) :-)

Although of other concept albums I do rather like Tobias Sammet's Avantasia albums, and Gary Hughes' Once & Future King albums....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Jo

>The other albums you mention are excellent - can I borrow them again sometime :-)

You mean you don't have any illicit copies of them anywhere? That's rather remiss!

BB

Peter