IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
indulekhadasi

Mahabharata Test

Rate this topic

What Gaudiya Vaishnava acharya has commented on or translated the Maha-Bharata?

Hridayanando Goswami?:eek2:

Hare Krishna. Whatever it is, you can learn a lot from Mahabharata. Vedavyasa didn't write it for nothing. Many pure devotees show how to lead an ideal character by their example in the Mahabharata. Here are some examples: Bhismadeva, Vidura, Yudhisthira, and Arjuna. Besides in the Mahabharata comes the cream of the cream: Bhagavat Gita. Although Gaudiya Vaishnavas may not have commented on it, they never disregarded it.

Hare Krishna. Whatever it is, you can learn a lot from Mahabharata. Vedavyasa didn't write it for nothing. Many pure devotees show how to lead an ideal character by their example in the Mahabharata. Here are some examples: Bhismadeva, Vidura, Yudhisthira, and Arjuna. Besides in the Mahabharata comes the cream of the cream: Bhagavat Gita. Although Gaudiya Vaishnavas may not have commented on it, they never disregarded it.

Nice.

But, I am looking for your test on Srila Prabhupada's Bhagavad-gita or Srimad Bhagavatam.

I would like to test myself on that if you have a test for those books.:pray:

Nice.

But, I am looking for your test on Srila Prabhupada's Bhagavad-gita or Srimad Bhagavatam.

I would like to test myself on that if you have a test for those books.:pray:

Good idea, I will do those.;) But for now you can take the Nityananda Test. It is based on Nityananda Charitamrita. Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur said that one should study Nityananda Charitamrita, just like they would Chaitanya Bhagavata. Nityananda Prabhu ki Jaya!

Mahabharata and Ramayana are the most magnificent literature, ever. A vaisnava is completely absorbed by everything about these. Especially disciples of Srila Prabhupada.

Srila Prabhupada gives the Sri Isopanisad as the complete guideline and by understanding the Sri Isopanisad, the full meaning and transcendental emotion of Mahabharata and Ramayana is made available.

No. Srila Prabhupada did not directly teach of King Guha, the hunter. He did not elaborate on the discussion between Duryodhana and Sri Sanjaya in the crystal lake refuge of the defeated Kuru King. However, he turned western hippies raised on Archie and Superman into devotees who can get true nectar in understanding the very sweet relationship between Sri Chandala Guhaka and Srimati Sitadevi, can understand that a pure uncontaminated devotee like Sri Sanjaya can give devotional service to one who was overcome all his life by the mode of passion and in the last stages of life, can actually make someone like duryodhana regret the horrors inflicted on his enemies.

I have nothing but great affection to those who want to remember and discuss the stories of these great epics. These books were produced by Srila Vyasadeva and Sri Valmiki specifically for our times (kali Yuga). While we suffer through these horrific events surrounding every endeavor of humanity, and promise to descend rapidly into a hell-like atmosphere, to have a source of entertainment like Mahabharata and Ramayana, books describing human problems and ultimate solutions being full surrender to the Supreme Lord, there is no other book, movie, radio show, CD, DVD, that can even compare. Like a match lit to the sun globe.

Some may argue that it is not the high vaisnava theology of the Goswamis, but these arguements are not from high vaisnava theologians. They come from the very group that Vyasa and Valmiki were thinking of when these great masterpieces were produced. Us.

All glories to the great epics, hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

1.) Who is the real mother of Karna?

a. Radha

b. Gandhari

c. Kunti

d. Satyavati

2.) What is the name of Karna’s foster mother?

a. Radha

b. Gandhari

c. Kunti

d. Satyavati

3.) How many children did Gandhari have?

a. 50

b. 75

c. 100

d. 101

4.) Where does Dronacharya go after he is insulted by King Drupada?

a. Indraprastha

b. Hastinapura

c. Dwaitavana forest

d. The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Himalayas</st1:place>

5.) Where was the palace in which Duryodhana wanted to burn the Pandavas?

a. Virat

b. Hastinapura

c. Varanavata

d. Khandavaprastha

6.) What was the name of Nakula’s mother?

a. Kunti

b. Madri

c. Dushala

d. Gandhari

7.) Who was the father of Bheeshma?

a. Santanu

b. Bahlika

c. Kripacharya

d. Dronacharya

8.) What is the name of the word Bheeshma?

a. the son of a mighty king

b. the valiant one

c. one who has done the impossible

d. one who has taken a great/terrible oath

9.) Whom did Ekalavya consider as his guru?

a. Kripacharya

b. Parshurama

c. Dronacharya

d. Maitreya Rsi

10.) Who crowns Karna as the King of Anga?

a. King Dhritarastra

b. Duryodhana

c. Lord Surya, Karna’s worshipable Lord ordered Karna to rule over the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceType w:st="on">kingdom</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Anga</st1:PlaceName></st1:place> in a dream

d. King Drupada

11.) Who was the husband of Dushala?

a. Jayadratha

b. Sishupala

c. Yudisthira

d. Bhima

12.) Who offered poisoned sweets to Bhima when he was young?

a. Dushashana

b. Vikarna

c. Duryodhana

d. Shakuni

13.) Who sends the man to dig a tunnel in the shellac palace at Varanavata fearing that something unwanted may happen to the Pandavas?

a. Karna

b. Vikarna

c. Duryodhana

d. Vidura

14.) Who is the brother of Draupadi?

a. Duryodhana

b. Dhristadhyumna

c. Kripacharya

d. Kritavarma

15.) Who came to Draupadi’s rescue when she was being disrobed in the Kaurava court?

a. Lord Rama

b. Lord Surya

c. Lord Krishna

d. Lord Agni

16.) Why is Arjuna called Partha?

a. Because he is the son of Pritha or Kunti

b. Because he is handsome therefore the word pretty has been derived from Pritha

c. His chariot had a unique partition therefore today we know the word pretty has been derived from Partha

d. That was <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>’s favorite name for him

17.) For how many days was Dronacharya the commander of the Kaurava army?

a. 2

b. 7

c. 3

d. 5

18.) Who was the charioteer of Karna when he assumed command of the Kaurava army?

a. Adiratha, his father

b. <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>

c. Shalya

d. Bhurisrava

19.) With what instrument does Dronacharya take out the ring in the well?

a. blades of grass

b. an arrow

c. a Bramastra

d. a mace

20.) Once, when the Pandavas had gone on a hunting expedition, who stopped their barking of their dog and how?

a. Bhima, by roaring so loudly that the dog stopped in his tracks and fainted on the ground

b. Arjuna, by killing the dog

c. Ekalavya, by sealing the dog’s mouth shut by arrows

d. <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>, by touching the dog with his flute

21.) What disguise did the Pandavas wear when they went to the Swayamvara of Draupadi?

a. Brahmanas

b. Sanyasis

c. Snatakas

d. Potters

22.) What was the real name (not nickname or epithet) of Bheeshma?

a. Gangeya

b. Brahmacari

c. Devavrata

d. Satyeya

23.) Who killed Jayadratha in the Mahabharata War?

a. Bhima

b. Karna

c. Satyaki

d. Arjuna

24.) Why did Gandhari keep her eyes covered with a piece of cloth?

a. she hated to see the bad sights of the world and to prevent that from happening at any moment, she always kept her eyes covered

b. her husband, Dhritarastra, was blind and she did not want to place herself in a superior position than him

c. to show she was not lusty

d. she did not want to look upon the beautiful sights of the world which would make her uninterested in spiritual life

25.) Who was the charioteer of Arjuna in the Mahabharata war?

a. Satyaki

b. Dhristadhyumna

c. <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>

d. Abhimanyu

1.) With whom did Kunti stay when the Pandavas were exiled?

a. Vidura

b. Dhritarastra

c. Dushashana

d. The Pandavas themselves

2.) To whom does Yudisthira offer first worship at the Rajasuya Yajna?

a. Bheeshma

b. Dronacharya

c. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>

d. Kripacharya

3.) With what weapon does <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> kill Sishupala?

a. arrow

b. mystical energy

c. his club, Kaumodaki

d. his discus, Sudarsana

4.) For how many days was the Mahabharata war fought?

a. 365

b. 11

c. 1,000,000,000

d. 18

5.) For how many days did Bheeshma fight as the commander of the Kaurava army?

a. 10

b. 76

c. 5

d. 3

6.) Who kills Jarasandha in a wrestling challenge?

a. Duryodhana

c. Bhima

d. Ghatotkacha

7.) What was the name of the kingdom ruled by Jarasandha?

a. Chedi

b. <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Magadha</st1:place></st1:country-region>

c. Nishada

d. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Madras</st1:place></st1:City>

8.) Who takes Drupada prisoner at the command of Dronacharya?

a. Arjuna

b. Duryodhana

c. Yudisthira

d. Aswathama

9.) Who suggests that the Pandavas be sent to Varanavata to Dhritarastra, and how did he make the real plot sound unsuspicious?

a. Shakuni, saying there is a very proud dice player who could teach the Pandavas how to play dice there

b. Vidura, saying that they should go on pilgrimage for their father’s sake and that on the way they could stop at Varanavata because his mother’s relative had recently moved there and Vidura needed someone to take a letter from him to her anyway

c. Duryodhana, saying that Dhritarastra should invite them to the fun fair there which would take place soon

d. Purochan, saying that the Pandavas needed to live in a temporary palace of their own and Varanavata would be the best place for them to stay a while and enjoy their new palace

10.) What was Draupadi’s real name (not nickname or epithet)?

a. Krishnaa

b. Panchali

c. Savitri

d. Kurumaraa

11.) For whom was the epithet Vasudeva used?

a. Balarama

c. Satyaki

d. Sini

12.) Among the sons of Pandu who were the twins?

a. Nalakuvera and Manigriva

b. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Nara</st1:place></st1:City> and Narayana

c. Nakula and Sahadeva

d. Ashwin and Ashwini

13.) Who was the son of Hidimbi and Bhima?

a. Iravan

b. Ghatotkacha

c. Babhruvahana

d. Abhimanyu

14.) What was the name of Dronacharya son?

a. Kripacharya

b. Bahlika

c. Yuyutsu

d. Aswathama

15.) What was the name of the kingdom ruled by Drupada?

a. Panchala

b. Matsya

c. Draupad

d. Nishada

16.) For how many years did King Janamejaya’s snake sacrifice last?

a. 2

b. 4

c. 12

d. 8

17.) Who killed the rakshasa Kirmira?

a. <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>

b. Bhima

c. Arjuna

d. Sahadeva

18.) Who first recited the Mahabharata in public?

a. Vyasadeva

b. Vaishampayana

c. Dhaumya

d. Valmiki

19.) Who was the husband of Dushala?

a. Sishupala

b. Karna

c. Duryodhana

d. Jayadratha

20.) Who curses Nahusha and turns him into a python?

a. Agastya Rsi

b. Dhaumya Rsi

c. Jamadagni Rsi

d. Parvata Rsi

21.) How has the Kauravas arranged their army on the 13<SUP>th</SUP> day of the battle?

a. Crow formation

b. Circle formation

c. Needle formation

d. Eagle formation

22.) Who was the mother of Vedavyasa?

a. <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> devi

b. Saraswati devi

c. Satyavati

d. Ambalika

23.) What was the color of the flag of Bheeshma?

a. red

b. green

c. yellow

d. white

24.) How does Duryodhana win Shalya over to his side?

a. He uses Shakuni to play a dice game with him and the wager was that Shakuni come over to his side. Duryodhana then won the dice game

b. He prepares lavish hospitality to Shalya without revealing his identity

c. He glorifies Madri to him

d. He uses his knowledge of illusions to make Shalya think the Kauravas were the Pandavas

25.) What made Duryodhana want to give up his life after the fight with the gandharvas?

a. The shame that the Pandavas had saved his life and he was eternally indebted to them

b. He was suffering from too much pain from the Gandharva’s arrows

c. He felt embarrassed that he had put the Pandavas in danger

d. He was to scared to ask forgiveness from the Pandavas

I tried it, but it seems that Nityananda charitamrta has more detailed info than I have studied. I probably got half of them right, the others were educated guesses.

I await Ramayana =;-)

I tried it, but it seems that Nityananda charitamrta has more detailed info than I have studied. I probably got half of them right, the others were educated guesses.

I await Ramayana =;-)

You can give me you answers, I can grade it and then if you have any answers that were either wrong or you didn't know then I can answer them for you. That is, if you are interested.

Good idea for Ramayan. Guruvani Prabhuji is also awaiting Srimad Bhagavatam and Bhagavad Gita.

I am with Mahaksadas. What a wonderful idea and I also thank you for offering it on this forum.

Just compiling these tests must have been a great way for you to study and now you are sharing it which will solidify that knowledge further.

I only got 4 or 5 correct on the Mahabharata test myself which is embarassing because I am sure I could get 90% correct on a Sopranos test. :o

I think i need to adjust my priorities.

I am with Mahaksadas. What a wonderful idea and I also thank you for offering it on this forum.

Just compiling these tests must have been a great way for you to study and now you are sharing it which will solidify that knowledge further.

I only got 4 or 5 correct on the Mahabharata test myself which is embarassing because I am sure I could get 90% correct on a Sopranos test. :o

I think i need to adjust my priorities.

Thanks for all the encouragement. But how did you know you only got 4 or 5 correct?

So. We can test reading retention and name recollection. How do we test whether the reader has *understood* what he/she has read and has taken it to heart?

Are we playing Trivial Pursuit, or are we seeking the Sublime? Perhaps the two activities are not mutually exclusive, but it would be a shame to get mired in the trivia.

Thanks for all the encouragement. But how did you know you only got 4 or 5 correct?

Well some things I remembered from my all too long ago reading of a highly condenscended version and the rest I had no idea of what the answer was. The scary thing of those 4 or 5 some could be wrong so I am afraid to check further. ;)

So. We can test reading retention and name recollection. How do we test whether the reader has *understood* what he/she has read and has taken it to heart?

Are we playing Trivial Pursuit, or are we seeking the Sublime? Perhaps the two activities are not mutually exclusive, but it would be a shame to get mired in the trivia.

True. But I believe these books were written in such a way that the "triva" would attract our kali-yuga minds and absorb some of the deeper level concepts in the process.

True. But I believe these books were written in such a way that the "triva" would attract our kali-yuga minds and absorb some of the deeper level concepts in the process.

I suppose it's better to remember trivia about the Lord's divine pastimes than to memorize sports statistics or the Billboard charts.

:)