Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Donna, thanks for the nice welcome! Sharita

, Donnalilacflower

<thelilacflower wrote:

>

> Hi Sharita,

> We are very happy you have joined us. Better watch out, you might

get addicted to our recipes and become a vegetarian in no time.

Please have fun browsing through our recipe files. Let us know if you

have any questions.

> Donna

>

Guest guest

Hi! Where are you in PA? I'm in Johnstown. You can't be far away! Great that

you're going all the way vegan! I think soy cheese actually tastes better

than milk cheese. :)

Jillian

In a message dated 6/22/2008 8:57:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

zazosmom writes:

Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Michelle and I

live in south central PA. I am married and have two kids ages 3 & 6. I have

been a vegetarian for 10 years and have just started trying to go vegan.

It's been two weeks without cheese, milk and eggs.

**************Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for

fuel-efficient used cars.

(http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

Guest guest

Really? Can you tell me the brand(s) you buy and where you get them

from? I'm slowly working towards being vegan. I've already dropped

eggs (they always grossed me out thinking about what would happen

with them if we just left them alone) but have had trouble giving up

cheese. I find it's a nice snack with crackers or pita to give you a

protein lift. Thanks, sunloverpam

, Jilly34689 wrote:

>

> Hi! Where are you in PA? I'm in Johnstown. You can't be far away!

Great that

> you're going all the way vegan! I think soy cheese actually tastes

better

> than milk cheese. :)

> Jillian

>

>

>

>

> In a message dated 6/22/2008 8:57:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

> zazosmom writes:

>

>

>

>

> Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Michelle

and I

> live in south central PA. I am married and have two kids ages 3 &

6. I have

> been a vegetarian for 10 years and have just started trying to go

vegan.

> It's been two weeks without cheese, milk and eggs.

>

**************Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for

> fuel-efficient used cars. (http://autos.aol.com/used?

ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

>

>

>

Guest guest

Way to go, Rose!!! Congrats on the health improvements!

I just finished reading Race For Life, about a woman who had stage 4

breast cancer -- it had metastasized to her bones. She switched to a

whole foods, vegan diet and fully recovered. She also became a

triathlete and she was in her 50s, I think. That was over 20 years ago

and she's still running.

Then I was reading Christina Pirello's book, Christina Cooks. In there,

she describes how she had acute leukemia and was told she had 9 months

to live. She switched to a macrobiotic diet and fully recovered. That

was in the 70s, I think.

I was reading these books in particular because two doctors told me I

had cancer and I was trying to give myself the best shot possible while

waiting all those weeks to find out for sure.

I am very impressed by your oncologist!

Best of luck and welcome to the group!!

Sharon

Rose Wilhelm wrote:

> Hello everyone!

>

> My name is Rose and I'm from Delaware. My oncologist put me on an

alkalyzing/vegetarian diet a month ago. I've been doing fairly well keeping to

it.

>

Guest guest

hello andf welcome shelley

hope you enjoy it here and can take away some good info, and friendships

cheers

fraggle

Shelley Jun 28, 2008 9:06 AM New member

Hello, I am a new member and have just glanced at some of your posts. I went Vegan on March 19 and have lost 30 pounds. I need to lose another 30 and doing very well. I LOVE eating Vegan! I make the most wonderful recipes! I look with disgust now at the meat and dairy aisles of the stores and can't imagine eating a pastry or boxed item anymore.

My reason for changing was to fight the breast cancer I have, knowing obesity significantly increases my risk of it coming back. I also have bilateral pulmonary embolisms, infarction damage to my right lung, and sleep apnea and 3 other sleep disorders.

My goal is to get healthy and fight these diseases and I am well along that road. I take a B12 supplement daily.

There is controversy about eating or drinking soy when you have already had breast cancer so I appreciate any information on that. I look forward to hearing any comments or help for a new Vegan.

Shelley H

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

Hi Shelley

Welcome to the group. I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, but like your positive attitude, and feel that you will succeed in being healthy. You've done really well to lose that much weight. I would suggest that if possible you consult a naturopathic nutritionist to find out about the soy. Do let us know what you find out and what progress you make.

Jo

-

Shelley

Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:06 PM

Hello, I am a new member and have just glanced at some of your posts. I went Vegan on March 19 and have lost 30 pounds. I need to lose another 30 and doing very well. I LOVE eating Vegan! I make the most wonderful recipes! I look with disgust now at the meat and dairy aisles of the stores and can't imagine eating a pastry or boxed item anymore.

My reason for changing was to fight the breast cancer I have, knowing obesity significantly increases my risk of it coming back. I also have bilateral pulmonary embolisms, infarction damage to my right lung, and sleep apnea and 3 other sleep disorders.

My goal is to get healthy and fight these diseases and I am well along that road. I take a B12 supplement daily.

There is controversy about eating or drinking soy when you have already had breast cancer so I appreciate any information on that. I look forward to hearing any comments or help for a new Vegan.

Shelley H

Guest guest

Hi Rose and Welcome,

Amazing the changes that have occurred in your bloodwork and the way you feel in

such a short time. My son-in-law decided to try a vegan diet some months ago.

He has been on high blood pressure and chloresterol medication for a long time.

Now he takes neither and his readings are normal. He just loves the way he

feels too. I joined this group to try to learn things to cook for him and it

has been really fun. We are a multigenerational household and I do some of the

cooking and it gives me great pleasure to make him good food he enjoys. His

favorite is TOONA, a recipe I got here for a sandwich spread made from chick

peas. I suppose it is in the files, but if not, let me know and I will send it

to you. It is really delicious and now we all eat it - even the 16 month old

granddaughter (LOL)

Wishing you luck with your battle with cancer. I have worked with many cancer

patients over the last seven years and it is amazing how many have beat the

odds.

Zelda

Guest guest

It's nice to meet you, Rose! I'm new myself. I'm glad to hear you're

feeling better! I hadn't heard of this treatment before. It sounds

encouraging!

Bess McBride

www.bessmcbride.com

www.rvromance.com

, Rose Wilhelm

<cracklin_rose74 wrote:

>

> Hello everyone!

>

> My name is Rose and I'm from Delaware. My oncologist put me on an

alkalyzing/vegetarian diet a month ago. I've been doing fairly well

keeping to it.

Guest guest

Getting in shape must be helpfull to whatever ailments you have, you will be able to take more exercise as you will have more enrgy. Just make sure you get a good varied diet. And........................Welcome!

Peter vv

Shelley <moondrop000 Sent: Saturday, 28 June, 2008 5:06:17 PM New member

Shelley H

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

Jo-a naturopathic nutritionist? I am not sure where one would be. What I did was spend 1 1/2 hours with the director of my local hospital's Lifestyle Medicine department who is vegan. I will call him about the soy. Thanks for the idea.

Shelley H

Guest guest

Hi Shelley

It is an alternative practitioner - sorts out your health problems

using diet and natural therapies.

Jo

, Shelley <moondrop000 wrote:

>

> Jo-a naturopathic nutritionist?   I am not sure where one would

be.   What I did was spend 1 1/2 hours with the director of my local

hospital's Lifestyle Medicine department who is vegan.   I will call

him about the soy.   Thanks for the idea.

>  

> Shelley H

>

Guest guest

bonjour et bienvenue!

i mean, greetings and welcome

hope you enjoy the group!

(oh, and i barely speak/write english very well anyways, and it's my born to language, so i'm sure you are in great company)

montreal eh? i was supposed to be in Montreal last month. alas, lack of funds scuttled that plan.

Mondial! maybe in two years

cheers

fraggle

bi_vegan_freak Jul 2, 2008 4:27 PM New member

I live in Montreal and I'm a french speaker. Well, that's gonna be a really good thing for me to practice my english by reading all of you of vegan chat :) But sorry for the mistakes I'm gonna do (because I'm really not good).I'm really into poetry, literature, third wave and queer feminism and, since 4 months, veganism. Since I'm the only vegan I know, I find it cool to read other vegans and not thinking I'm not he only cool person on Earth (joke!).I'm proud of every vegans in the world and I'm so happy of my decision to be vegan! Plus, I found a super amazing vegan brownies recipe (on veg web.com), so there's no more reason to be omnivore or vegetarian :)

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

I had an exchange student from Bordaux, I know thats France and not Canada.. but its still cool lol Welcome !

Rene' Toro

--- On Wed, 7/2/08, bi_vegan_freak <bi_vegan_freak wrote:

bi_vegan_freak <bi_vegan_freak New member Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 8:27 PM

I live in Montreal and I'm a french speaker. Well, that's gonna be a really good thing for me to practice my english by reading all of you of vegan chat :) But sorry for the mistakes I'm gonna do (because I'm really not good).I'm really into poetry, literature, third wave and queer feminism and, since 4 months, veganism. Since I'm the only vegan I know, I find it cool to read other vegans and not thinking I'm not he only cool person on Earth (joke!).I'm proud of every vegans in the world and I'm so happy of my decision to be vegan! Plus, I found a super amazing vegan brownies recipe (on veg web.com), so there's no more reason to be omnivore or vegetarian :)

Guest guest

Bonjour, Je ma apelle Peter. Je suis Galoise.

Your english, cant be any worse than my French!

No name?

Peter vv

bi_vegan_freak <bi_vegan_freak Sent: Wednesday, 2 July, 2008 9:27:41 PM New member

Guest guest

i can say the F word

cucumber

apple

and do you want to sleep with me

LOL thats all ! LOL ha ha

Rene' Toro

--- On Wed, 7/2/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01Re: New member Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 8:42 PM

No name?

Peter vv

bi_vegan_freak <bi_vegan_freak@ .ca>@gro ups.comWednesday, 2 July, 2008 9:27:41 PM New member

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

Well, you know thats real sweet, but sorry I`m married!..................he,he.

Peter vv

Rene From Cali <californiafairy24 Sent: Wednesday, 2 July, 2008 9:57:03 PMRe: New member

i can say the F word

cucumber

apple

Rene' Toro

--- On Wed, 7/2/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Re: New member@gro ups.comWednesday, July 2, 2008, 8:42 PM

No name?

Peter vv

bi_vegan_freak <bi_vegan_freak@ .ca>@gro ups.comWednesday, 2 July, 2008 9:27:41 PM New member

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

haha... yea my frenchie only taught me the cool stuff.. lol i have a book called 'hide this french book' that she had... and left.. lol has all the awesome phrases in it.. but i havent learned them yet..

Rene' Toro

--- On Wed, 7/2/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01Re: New member Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 9:28 PM

Well, you know thats real sweet, but sorry I`m married!.... ......... .....he,he.

Peter vv

Rene From Cali <californiafairy24@ >@gro ups.comWednesday, 2 July, 2008 9:57:03 PMRe: New member

i can say the F word

cucumber

apple

Rene' Toro

--- On Wed, 7/2/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Re: New member@gro ups.comWednesday, July 2, 2008, 8:42 PM

No name?

Peter vv

Guest guest

Hi , and welcome. All recipes gratefully received here :-)

Jo

-

bi_vegan_freak

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:27 PM

Guest guest

Hi!

My name is Edith. Thanks everybody for your warm welcome :)

I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed yesterday, and it's pretty painful

end I have such ai big face today haha. I can't go flirting tonight,

that's for sure :)

So I was happy to have your nice messages.

Edith

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Bonjour, Je ma apelle Peter. Je suis Galoise.

> Your english, cant be any worse than my French!

> No name?

>

>  

> Peter vv

>

>

>

>

> bi_vegan_freak <bi_vegan_freak

>

> Wednesday, 2 July, 2008 9:27:41 PM

> New member

>

>

> I live in Montreal and I'm a french speaker. Well, that's gonna be

a

> really good thing for me to practice my english by reading all of

you

> of vegan chat :) But sorry for the mistakes I'm gonna do (because

I'm

> really not good).

>

> I'm really into poetry, literature, third wave and queer feminism

and,

> since 4 months, veganism. Since I'm the only vegan I know, I find

it

> cool to read other vegans and not thinking I'm not he only cool

person

> on Earth (joke!).

>

> I'm proud of every vegans in the world and I'm so happy of my

decision

> to be vegan! Plus, I found a super amazing vegan brownies recipe

(on

> veg web.com), so there's no more reason to be omnivore or

vegetarian :)

>

>

>

>

> ________

> Not happy with your email address?.

> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses

available now at http://uk.docs./ymail/new.html

>

Guest guest

HI Edith

I hope your face recovers soon. Luckily I have never had any wisdom

teeth out, but I do know that it's very painful and you can end up

with a lot of bruising.

Take care

Jo

, " bi_vegan_freak "

<bi_vegan_freak wrote:

>

> Hi!

>

> My name is Edith. Thanks everybody for your warm welcome :)

>

> I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed yesterday, and it's pretty painful

> end I have such ai big face today haha. I can't go flirting

tonight,

> that's for sure :)

>

> So I was happy to have your nice messages.

>

> Edith

>

> , Peter VV <swpgh01@> wrote:

> >

> > Bonjour, Je ma apelle Peter. Je suis Galoise.

> > Your english, cant be any worse than my French!

> > No name?

> >

> >  

> > Peter vv

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > bi_vegan_freak <bi_vegan_freak@>

> >

> > Wednesday, 2 July, 2008 9:27:41 PM

> > New member

> >

> >

> > I live in Montreal and I'm a french speaker. Well, that's gonna

be

> a

> > really good thing for me to practice my english by reading all of

> you

> > of vegan chat :) But sorry for the mistakes I'm gonna do (because

> I'm

> > really not good).

> >

> > I'm really into poetry, literature, third wave and queer feminism

> and,

> > since 4 months, veganism. Since I'm the only vegan I know, I find

> it

> > cool to read other vegans and not thinking I'm not he only cool

> person

> > on Earth (joke!).

> >

> > I'm proud of every vegans in the world and I'm so happy of my

> decision

> > to be vegan! Plus, I found a super amazing vegan brownies recipe

> (on

> > veg web.com), so there's no more reason to be omnivore or

> vegetarian :)

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ________

> > Not happy with your email address?.

> > Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses

> available now at http://uk.docs./ymail/new.html

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi EdithI know what you are going through with wisdom teeth.And you were smart enough to get them out all at once.I had all kinds of health issues, all due to them.I have still one left (upper right), but it's hanging in there quietly, so letting it be :DWishing You speedy recovery.Cheers,Beatriz--- On Thu, 7/3/08, bi_vegan_freak <bi_vegan_freak wrote:bi_vegan_freak <bi_vegan_freak Re: New member Date: Thursday, July 3, 2008, 8:53 PM

Hi!

My name is Edith. Thanks everybody for your warm welcome :)

I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed yesterday, and it's pretty painful

end I have such ai big face today haha. I can't go flirting tonight,

that's for sure :)

So I was happy to have your nice messages.

Edith

@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:

>

> Bonjour, Je ma apelle Peter. Je suis Galoise.

> Your english, cant be any worse than my French!

> No name?

>

> Â

> Peter vv

>

>

>

>

> bi_vegan_freak <bi_vegan_freak@ ...>

> @gro ups.com

> Wednesday, 2 July, 2008 9:27:41 PM

> New member

>

>

> I live in Montreal and I'm a french speaker. Well, that's gonna be

a

> really good thing for me to practice my english by reading all of

you

> of vegan chat :) But sorry for the mistakes I'm gonna do (because

I'm

> really not good).

>

> I'm really into poetry, literature, third wave and queer feminism

and,

> since 4 months, veganism. Since I'm the only vegan I know, I find

it

> cool to read other vegans and not thinking I'm not he only cool

person

> on Earth (joke!).

>

> I'm proud of every vegans in the world and I'm so happy of my

decision

> to be vegan! Plus, I found a super amazing vegan brownies recipe

(on

> veg web.com), so there's no more reason to be omnivore or

vegetarian :)

>

>

>

>

> ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

> Not happy with your email address?.

> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses

available now at http://uk.docs. / ymail/new. html

>

Guest guest

Hi Lucy and welcome!

First, congradulations on supporting your son in his choice to not eat meat. 

Second, your life will be so much simpler if you cook for the whole family,

rather than just your son.

Being vegetarian should be about what we eat, not what we don't eat (I pulled

that from a magazine, but it is so true!). There are tons and tons of recipes in

the message archives; start with foods similar to family favorites. 

Regarding nutrition (this is true for everyone, not just vegetarians), if you

eat whole grains, avoid processed foods (esp. high fructose corn syrup and white

flour), and eat a rainbow of fruits and veggies, you will find that you all feel

better and are healthier; during your transition, you may feel lousy and your

body works to get rid of toxins, but this will pass quickly.

Some foods that I always have on hand (spouse and I work part time, so meals

need to be speedy): whole wheat bread and tortillas, dehydrated refried beans,

brown rice, whole wheat pastas, tofu, hommous, frozen mixed veggies, frozen

broccoli, frozen blueberries, frozen chopped spinach, carrots, sweet potatoes,

lettuce, onion, garlic, ginger, jarred pasta sauce, assorted jarred cooking

sauces (Indian, Japanese, etc.), shredded and sliced cheeses (some dairy, some

veg).  I cook rice on the weekends and freeze in wax bags in a big zipper bag. 

A quick weeknight dinner:  cook sliced garlic and ginger in a bit of olive oil,

take out and fry cubed tofu, stir fry and take out, throw in frozen mixed

veggies (I love one called " eat your greens " ) and jarred sauce, throw in

veggies, serve over rice (that has been thawed in the microwave), and you have

dinner in 20 minutes.

Give us an idea of what your family likes to eat, and we can suggest

recipes/alternatives/etc.

Robin

--- On Wed, 7/30/08, Lucy <lucy.sams wrote:

Lucy <lucy.sams

Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 3:55 PM

Hello,

I am so happy I found this group. My son is 6 years old and refuses to

eat any meat. He went without meat for two months last year, but I am

sure jelly sandwiches and fruit were not meeting all of his nutritional

needs. I would like to support his decision and make sure all of his

nutritional needs are being met. I am prepared to learn all I can to

attempt to support his choice. Where do I begin? What are some easy

and economical recipes for beginners? He has the following food

allergies: eggs, dairy, peanuts, shellfish. Thank you guys for

creating this group!

Guest guest

If he likes hot cereal, my little ones love Cream of Wheat (they would eat it

every meal) and oatmeal.  Also, beans are a great source of protein and are

economical, my kids eat black beans the best and of course baked beans (I use

brown sugar, ketchup, and mustard to make mine but Bush has canned vegetarian

baked beans) that my kids love with cut up soy dogs.  We find Morningstar brand

in the freezer section at Wal-Mart.  We do not have much to choose from here

because I live in rural Southern Indiana but my kids like whatever I have fixed

so far, such as veggie burgers and veggie " chicken " patties from Morningstar. 

We also make tacos, enchiladas, and chili with Morningstar or Boca crumbles. 

Also,  " sausage " patties on biscuits have been a big hit for my little ones who

are 2 and 4.5.  Hope this helps.

Dessica 

--- On Wed, 7/30/08, Lucy <lucy.sams wrote:

Lucy <lucy.sams

Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 4:55 PM

Hello,

I am so happy I found this group. My son is 6 years old and refuses to

eat any meat. He went without meat for two months last year, but I am

sure jelly sandwiches and fruit were not meeting all of his nutritional

needs. I would like to support his decision and make sure all of his

nutritional needs are being met. I am prepared to learn all I can to

attempt to support his choice. Where do I begin? What are some easy

and economical recipes for beginners? He has the following food

allergies: eggs, dairy, peanuts, shellfish. Thank you guys for

creating this group!

Guest guest

Hi Lucy! My 10yo doesn't want to eat meat anymore either--which is

great, as far as I'm concerned! I also can't use peanuts or dairy

here. I also limit eggs, and don't make any seafood. So it sounds as

though we have a similar diet here. First of all, let me reassure you

that you are NOT alone, and your son WILL thrive!

There are so many resources for vegan families out there it's hard to

know where to start! I know I've seen, but I don't have, at least one

book about " when your child wants to be a vegetarian " . Probably

someone else here can direct you to that one.

Here are my " top picks " for you, from my own library:

Raising Vegan Children in a Non-Vegan World by Erin Pavlina--comes

from the point of already being a vegan parent, but still lots of

helpful information for you on dealing with the " world " and your

son's choice, and some nice recipes.

Raw Kids by Cheryl Stoycoff--Short, readable book about raising a

vegan child. Again from the standpoint of already being a vegan

parent, but that really doesn't matter. Nutritional information,

resources, and recipes.

Disease-Proof Your Child by Joel Fuhrman, MD--Excellent book about

how and why to transition your child to a mostly vegan diet, for

health reasons. Great nutritional information and recipes. My husband

and I actually just went to see Dr. F, and were VERY impressed with

his knowledge and caring for people's health. He's got more books and

DVD's out as well, about the diet/health connection. I have most of

them and they are really informative.

The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook--Quick, easy, family friendly

vegan recipes. Dr.McD has a LOT of books and DVD's out about the

diet/health connection, and I have most of them. This book is the one

I go to the most.

The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak--If you miss

macaroni and cheese, Cheez Whiz, fettucine alfredo, or Velveeta, this

recipe book is for you! Vegan alternatives to cheese that are really

tasty!

Any book by Julie Wandling--She has written several easy to read

books about the vegan diet and the family. Written from a Christian

viewpoint, but recipes are not " religious " , nor is health

information. :) These books are full of resources, health

information, and family friendly mostly raw (uncooked) vegan recipes,

as well as practical advice about raising a vegan child.

The websites of the Vegetarian Resource Group and the Physician's

Committee for Responsible Medicine should really be of help to you.

There are also some nice mostly raw vegan recipes on the Hallelujah

Acres website, and a lot more (cooked and raw) at fatfreevegan.com.

Good luck! Marilyn