IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Skydancer

Mahamrityunjaya intro translation

Rate this topic

Hari Om,

I have acquired a CD Mahamrityunjay Mantra Jaap Mala by Anuradha Paudwal. It's one of the most beautiful versions of Mahamrityunjaya Mantra I've heard. Before the actual mantra chanting begins there is a short "intro" where they chant:

Om Mrityunjay Mahadev Trahima Sharnagatam

Janma Mrityu Jara Piditam Karmbandhanaiha

Can anyone, please, explain the meaning and usage of the above?

Regards!

It was quite nice. Because I live in Europe, where we don't have any annual Hindu festivals or temples, I had to improvise a bit. I took an early-hour ritual bath in my bath tube, set up an altar with traditional offerings and began chanting Shiva mantras throughout the entire day (and night). It was a very beautiful experience. When I finally did get some sleep I experienced ajapa japa, so I was chanting mantras even in my sleep.:)

aum mṛtyuñjaya mahādeva trāhi māṁ śaraṇāgatam |<O:P</O:P

janmamṛtyujarāvyādhi pīḍitaṁ karmabandhanaiḥ ||<O:P

</O:P

Aum, O Great Lord Mṛtyuñjaya, I take refuge in You, pray protect me; <O:P</O:P

And relieve me of the painful experiences of birth, death, old-age and disease.

Hari Om,

I have acquired a CD Mahamrityunjay Mantra Jaap Mala by Anuradha Paudwal. It's one of the most beautiful versions of Mahamrityunjaya Mantra I've heard. Before the actual mantra chanting begins there is a short "intro" where they chant:

Can anyone, please, explain the meaning and usage of the above?

Regards!

ॐ मृत्युंजयमहादेव त्राहि मां शरणागतम्‌।

जन्ममृत्युजरापीडितं कर्मबंधनैः॥

This is a literal word to word translation:

OM O Lord Mahadew, the one who has conquered death,

Protect me who has suffered birth, death & old age due to the bonds of actions(I did in my life) & has surrendered(to you).

Now let us get on with rendering the main mantra itself.

Introduction to Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra

The great mantra dedicated to Shiva as Mrityunjaya is found in the Rig Veda. It is called the Maha Mrityunjaya mantra, the Great Death-Conquering mantra. It is a mantra that has many names and forms. It is called the Rudra mantra, referring to the furious aspect of Shiva; the Tryambakam mantra, alluding to Shiva's three eyes; and its is sometimes known as the Mrita-Sanjivini mantra because it is a component of the "life-restoring" practice given to the primordial sage Shukra after he had completed an exhausting period of austerity. The Maha Mrityunjaya mantra is hailed by the sages as the heart of the Veda. Along with the Gayatri mantra it holds the highest place among the many mantras used for contemplation and meditation.

aum tryambakaṁ yajāmahe sugandhiṁ puṣṭi vardhanam

urvārukamiva bandhanān mṛtyormukṣīya māmṛtāt

OM. We worship and adore you, O three-eyed one, O Shiva. You are sweet gladness, the fragrance of life, who nourishes us, restores our health, and causes us to thrive. As, in due time, the stem of the cucumber weakens, and the gourd is freed from the vine, so free us from attachment and death, and do not withhold immortality.

I'm so glad that this discussion is developing so well.

In the article The Shield of Mahamrityunjaya mantra I've read that one can perform the mantra not only for himself, but also for other people who need help.

If it is difficult for you to pronounce the above mantra then you can chant the short form of the above mantra. It will also bring about the desired results. The laghu Mahamriyutnjaya(short form) also known as the pandashakshri mantra goes like this:

"Om Joom Sah (Mam) palay palay sah joom om"

If you are doing the mantra not for yourself but for your loved one or your loved ones then replace the word mam with the person who is having the disease. For e.g. if you are chanting the mantra for an individual named as john the mantra will be: "Om joom Sah John Palay Palay sah joom Om".

So what is the correct way to chant Mahamrityunjaya mantra for another individual, using the original (long) form? Let's say the person's name is Sarah.

It was quite nice. Because I live in Europe, where we don't have any annual Hindu festivals or temples, I had to improvise a bit. I took an early-hour ritual bath in my bath tube, set up an altar with traditional offerings and began chanting Shiva mantras throughout the entire day (and night). It was a very beautiful experience. When I finally did get some sleep I experienced ajapa japa, so I was chanting mantras even in my sleep.:)

Wonderful!

Keep going like this and Lord Shiva will bestow his unlimited mercy upon you.