IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guruvani

Jesus is the reason for the season

Rate this topic

I sing the glories of all my gurus, they ARE the repository of all truth. What I say is perfect if I speak on their behalf, errors are my own.

The humble endorsement of prospective disciples glorifying their gurus is the basis of this movement. It is the humble words of DISCIPLES that constitute the Parampara, called by my spiritual master a DISCIPLIC succession.

Had I not had the benefit of such endorsement by disciples toward their masters, be it Lord Jesus, Prabhupada, et al, I would surely remain less advanced, less knowledgable, less qualified, etc.

We spend our lives seeking out the association of masters, yet the vaisnava always advizes that we seek out the servants. Masters have no access to God, but servants live with him in intimate relationship always.

nuff said. hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

I don't hear a lot of references to anybody really. I like what you say a lot of times, but I don't see you quoting anybody 'guru' very often.

Can you point out where I said that? One thing which I do not appreciate having words put into my mouth.

Of course you're not going to accuse yourself of that. But you lord over your belief that you have the direct absolute knowledge and by implication anybody who doesn't accept this guru of yours is ignorant.

It's not just your attitude. It's the attitude of most proselytizing disciples.

You are quite correct you don't call yourself a devotee. You have only aggressively proselytized for your guru , imposing him as the repository of all truth over which of course you now have a monopoly.

Without that absolute endorsement others are less advanced , less knowledgeable, less qualified...etc.

My purpose is not to defend Murali, he is big enough to speak for himself. However, you seem to be the only one to surmise the above from his words. It is plainly evident to most who have been here long enough that my above-named pal (with whom I have had quite a few virulent exchanges by the way) is not here to proselytize anyone nor sell his guru or param-guru. Arguably, he quotes your own guru, A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami, just as much if not more than he does either Sridhara Maharaja or Govinda Maharaja. Perhaps your obvious revulsion at him even mentioning his line preceptors is a reflection of your own prejudice, fanaticism or small-mindedness (take your pick) in action, i.e. an insane, pathological inability to regard anybody other than your own teacher as being worth the title.

My purpose is not to defend Murali, he is big enough to speak for himself. However, you seem to be the only one to surmise the above from his words. It is plainly evident to most who have been here long enough that my above-named pal (with whom I have had quite a few virulent exchanges by the way) is not here to proselytize anyone nor sell his guru or param-guru. Arguably, he quotes your own guru, A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami, just as much if not more than he does either Sridhara Maharaja or Govinda Maharaja. Perhaps your obvious revulsion at him even mentioning his line preceptors is a reflection of your own prejudice, fanaticism or small-mindedness (take your pick) in action, i.e. an insane, pathological inability to regard anybody other than your own teacher as being worth the title.

Speaking of ...Speaking on the behalf of. Who authorized you to speak on the behalf of the whole forum? That is a political strategy that isn't very persuasive. I haven't even tried to push gurus on anybody. I haven't sampled statistics on how much he quotes from whom.

He certainly hasn't proselytized on Prabhupada's behalf as much as others Math gurus. It's more the sanctimonious tone he has taken in the past as though he had it 'made in the shade'. Of course he's not the only one.

Noting this hardly makes me a fanatic. You can't so easily turn the tables on that one. I always make a conscious effort to be reasonable and objective and not use the standard attacks - you don't agree therefore you are offensive- or you are offensive therefore you don't agree...and all the permutations on this 'win all arguments' ad hominem.

Of course you're not going to accuse yourself of that. But you lord over your belief that you have the direct absolute knowledge and by implication anybody who doesn't accept this guru of yours is ignorant.

It's not just your attitude. It's the attitude of most proselytizing disciples.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't feel that way.

I have stated a number of times that we each get the guru we deserve (or better, given the mercy of the Lord).

One of my best friends was poised to take initiation from an ISCKON sannyasi who was popular in L.A. in the late 90's when that Maharaja "fell down". While I felt sorry for that sannyasi and his disciples, and for my friend, I wished none of them ill.

Rather, I find it enlivening to see that former sannyasi at San Francisco Ratha Yatra every year in his jeans and (fake?) leather happily engaging in Hari Nama sankirttan.

What I find lamentable and somewhat infuriating is when *you* complain that there are no qualified gurus and then stubbornly refuse to at least take darshan of a person in whom so many of Srila Prabhupada's senior disciples have found nourishment and shelter--someone who displays no envy towards Srila Prabhupada or his disciples, but, rather, who praises the inconceivable spiritual achievements of Srila Prabhupada at every opportunity.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't feel that way.

I have stated a number of times that we each get the guru we deserve (or better, given the mercy of the Lord).

That's exactly my point. Lord your guru over others as proof of your superiority. :sleep: Couldn't be more sanctimonious. Especially if somebody doesn't even have an official guru.

As Saint Bob Dylan said: You're going to have to serve *somebody*.

Why simply serve your own mind?

That's exactly my point. Lord your guru over others as proof of your superiority. :sleep: Couldn't be more sanctimonious. Especially if somebody doesn't even have an official guru.

I appreciate Vikram's "sanity check". I am filled with self-doubt, though, for the sake of discussion, I might try to assume an authoritative tone. It's nice to know I'm not *completely* crazy.

While Vikram cannot claim to speak for the entire membership of the forum, he obviously feels strongly enough to comment. If others feel strongly enough that his comment does not represent their views, they too, of course, are free to comment.

It must be lonely where you are.

Speaking of ...Speaking on the behalf of. Who authorized you to speak on the behalf of the whole forum? That is a political strategy that isn't very persuasive. I haven't even tried to push gurus on anybody. I haven't sampled statistics on how much he quotes from whom.

He certainly hasn't proselytized on Prabhupada's behalf as much as others Math gurus. It's more the sanctimonious tone he has taken in the past as though he had it 'made in the shade'. Of course he's not the only one.

Noting this hardly makes me a fanatic. You can't so easily turn the tables on that one. I always make a conscious effort to be reasonable and objective and not use the standard attacks - you don't agree therefore you are offensive- or you are offensive therefore you don't agree...and all the permutations on this 'win all arguments' ad hominem.

Well nice try Guruvani. You opened the thread with a gracious post showing appreciation for the devotional sentiments of others. Unfortunately instead of picking up on that theme and progressing on the same track the tone of the thread was quickly taken to hell.

Who's your guru?

http://www.scsmath.com

Look in the upper left-hand corner (among other places).

While he has accepted me as his disciple, I don't feel comfortable calling him "my guru", though. I don't have even the smallest fraction of his good qualities, nor do I follow his teachings very faithfully. I simply have some small appreciation for his humility and sincerity.

Because I'm still foolishly trying to serve two masters. Why do *you*?

Of course, unless I have the guru I'm in illusion. No doubt. But I'd rather listen to my inner voice than slavishly serve the mindless.