IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Is Ashwathama still alive?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

"I heard one devotee saying that Prabhupada says the so called abominable snowman which is frequently sighted (in himyalayas?)is Ashwathama....! "

I heard this story when living in Bhaktivedanda Manor in the mid-1980's.

The devotee who told me says he heard it from another who was there at the time when Prabhupada said it.

Seems Prabhupada gave some talk and at the end a devotee asked if the 'Yeti' was Ashwathama. Prabhupada was silent for a moment then replied "yes" but never said more than that.

I believe this because of the way i heard it.

Yeti in Greek means WHY?

Seems like Krishna's arrangement to me.

some yeti stories from Himalayas involve seeing more than one yeti at the same time (with females and young reported as well). that would blow a big hole in the theory Aswatthama is yeti (wookie? /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

yeti are probably some stray Kimpurushas visiting our world.

Its ridiculous to imagine that someone who fought an epic war 5000 years back is still alive. Wonder what his heart and disgestive systems are composed of? Maybe he has cold blood

in his body as no warm blooded animal can survive for sooo long!!!

Guest guest

In swami Rama's Living with the Himalayan Masters, he discusses the idea of the "abominable snowman" and the word yeti, and he says that there is no such abominable snowman, it is just ascetics, who are called yeti in sanskrit. Yeti does not mean abominable snowman, at least according to him.

Guest guest

[After my intensive reaserach o the subject, I was finally able to figure out the Village where he can be located.

chandola_cv@rediffmail.com

so you'll tell us only if we email? don't leave us hanging like that?

This is so funny. In the west the word yeti is taken to mean some Big Foot creature that lives in the high mountains and snow. LOLOL Like a snow Wookie or something.

Well another case of us taking the word and changing the meaning. But this one is particularly funny.:D

In sanskrit ascetics are called yati, which is very similar to yeti, though it is not a commonly used word today. I doubt anyone actually uses the word, as there are so many more common words that are used (santa, sadhu, rishi, etc.)

Also, I don't see how people would mistake this for big hairy animals though, so it doesn't seem very likely to me.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">omg no he isnt. Of course not!!!!! His bad spirit roams earth within people</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I've heard that Krishna cursed Ashwathama with immortality. Is that true? If so, where is he now? Is he somewhere in present-day India? How to find the great man? Or is it all a big lie?

Only intelligent people need respond. Thanks.

Guest guest

In sanskrit ascetics are called yati, which is very similar to yeti, though it is not a commonly used word today. I doubt anyone actually uses the word, as there are so many more common words that are used (santa, sadhu, rishi, etc.)

Also, I don't see how people would mistake this for big hairy animals though, so it doesn't seem very likely to me.

Well, yati is very similar to yeti. Sounds almost the same. I don't know what the origins of the belief in abominable snowmen are, but if they are suspected to live in the Himalayas and are covered in snow and such, it's probably just foolishness where people just decided it must be an abominable snowman when it really was just an ascetic.

Guest guest

omg no he isnt. Of course not!!!!! His bad spirit roams earth within people.

so his spirit possesses people? and he is not physically incarnate?

Aswattama wanders around aimlessly, covered with wet sores, in the himalayas. Yeti is stated to be eight feet tall, which is quite a bit shorter than the Dwarap Yuga Ksatriya types (12 to 14 feet).

hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

they used to be 12 to 14 feet tall????

twice the size of normal tall people/? so all population was bigger in general

Guest guest

they used to be 12 to 14 feet tall????

twice the size of normal tall people/? so all population was bigger in general

Just wondering, but why is it believed that people were so much taller in ancient times? I don't think there's a single skeleton that has been unearthed to indicate this, so it can't be true.

Maybe in other realms, the entities living there are much bigger, but on Earth, most people don't grow beyond 8 feet (incredibly rare too, but there are a few "giants" like that, such as a few basketball players like Yao Ming).

Guest guest

Just wondering, but why is it believed that people were so much taller in ancient times? I don't think there's a single skeleton that has been unearthed to indicate this, so it can't be true.

Maybe in other realms, the entities living there are much bigger, but on Earth, most people don't grow beyond 8 feet (incredibly rare too, but there are a few "giants" like that, such as a few basketball players like Yao Ming).

I believe there use to be giants on earth. This is not just confirmed in vedic literature, but in legends of many ancient cultures around the world, such as the Greeks. It even mentions giant race in the Old Testament of the Bible. The most famous, Goliath, was said to be 9 and a half feet.

Guest guest

I believe there use to be giants on earth. This is not just confirmed in vedic literature, but in legends of many ancient cultures around the world, such as the Greeks. It even mentions giant race in the Old Testament of the Bible. The most famous, Goliath, was said to be 9 and a half feet.

According to what scale of measurement????

Also, as I've said, there's not a single fossil to indicate the existence of such a thing. And there are a lot of similarities between cultures in their "myths" or "legends". I put them in quotes, because I don't believe all are myths or legends or at least don't want to believe that they all are, but there are some things that there should be physical evidence of. And gigantic people is one of them, of which we have not seen at all.

As for the similarities in cultures saying giant people exist, it could be that each culture has been influenced by the other or stems from myths and legends from a older culture that all had in common at one point or another.

so his spirit possesses people? and he is not physically incarnate?

It is a kind of lust and badness of his that lives on. He cannot posses people his his soul is in another human like all souls shed their body. Idoubt that he is physically incarnate. When people saw the curse, i expect they read it blindly, not thinking about what really Krishna was trying to say.:rolleyes:

Guest guest

i expect they read it blindly, not thinking about what really Krishna was trying to say.:rolleyes:

Perhaps you are right. I have not seen the curse myself. It seems pretty unmerciful/cruel to damn a person to LITERAL suffering for that long?