IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Is A Physically Present Spiritual Master Required?

Rate this topic

"Don't Take Krishna Lightly"

Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.25.42

Bombay, December 10, 1974

It is because of My supremacy that the wind blows, out of fear of Me; the sun shines out of fear of Me, and the lord of the clouds, Indra, sends forth showers out of fear of Me. Fire burns out of fear of Me, and death goes about taking its toll out of fear of Me.

Srila Prabhupada:

mad-bhayad vati vato 'yam

suryas tapati mad-bhayat

varsatindro dahaty agnir

mrtyus carati mad-bhayat

[sB 3.25.42]

The ultimate, mrtyus carati mad-bhayat . So bhaya, bhaya means fearfulness. Bhayam dvitiyabhinivesatah syat. In the previous verse the Lord Kapiladeva said that "If anyone wants to get out of this fearful situation..." Bhayam tivram nivartate. Atmanah sarva-bhutanam bhayam tivram nivartate. We are always fearful. Material life is not very happy life because we are always fearful. That's a fact.

Nobody can say, "No, I am not afraid of anything." That is false. Everyone is afraid of something, everyone -- bird, beast, human being, everyone, bhayam dvitiyabhinivesatah syat -- because we have got absorption in the second category of life. Second category means this bodily conception of life, dvitiya abhinivesa.

I am thinking at the present moment that "I am this body." Everyone is thinking. Therefore, when there is fear of destruction of this body, we become very much afraid, perplexed. We have seen in Los Angeles. There was earthquake, and all the neighborhood, women especially, began to scream, fearful, "Now death is coming."

So everyone is afraid. This is the material nature, ahara-nidra-bhaya-maithuna, four things, material wants: eating, sleeping, fearing, and defending.

So Krsna said that if you want... Kapiladeva and Krsna the same. Krsna has many form. Kapiladeva is one of the form, avesavatara. There are many incarnation. Krsna is the original Personality of Godhead. In the Srimad-Bhagavatam there is a list of different avataras, and the conclusion... Lord Buddha's also name is there. Kikatesu bhavisyati, sura-dvisam.

So Lord Buddha's name is there, and Jayadeva has also given his poem Dasa-vidha, Dasavatara-stotra. In that Dasavatara also, Lord Buddha's name is there: kesava dhrta-buddha-sarira jaya jagadisa hare.

So Vaisnavas, they know, by the grace of Krsna, how many avataras are there. They do not accept therefore any bogus avatara. Some rascal will say that "I am avatara." The Vaisnava will not accept. Tasmat sastra-vidhanoktam.

In the Bhagavad-gita it is said that sastra-vidhanoktam, karyakarya. We have to accept and reject according to the sastra, not that any bogus man comes and says that "I am avatara." That is not acceptable. The Vaisnava will not accept. A foolish man may accept; that is a different thing.

So certainly, the Supreme Personality has got many avatara, but each avatara has, has been mentioned in the sastras, different avataras. So Kapiladeva is avatara. Therefore He is saying, "Me," mad-bhayat . Mad-bhayat.

So mad-bhayad vati vato 'yam. These are the very strong sources of fearfulness. If there is cyclone, it is very fearful. It is going on very nicely, but if it is a big cyclone, then it is fearful. So there is necessity of cyclone also. There is necessity of scorching heat. There is necessity of rainfall. So there are different directors and officers, and they are all servant of Krsna.

Therefore Caitanya-caritamrta says, ekale isvara krsna ara saba bhrtya [Cc. Adi 5.142]. The only master, supreme master, is Krsna, and all others, they are bhrtya, servant. The demigods, the demigods, they are all servants of Krsna. Demigods there are: Surya, Candra, Vayu, Varuna, and Brhaspati, so many, thirty-three crores of demigods. They have got different planets. But all of them are servants of Krsna.

Mayadhyaksena prakrtih suyate sa-caracaram [bg. 9.10]. The modern so-called scientists, they say, "There is no demigod. There is no God. This is all natural function." That's all right. Nature is working. But nature is matter. Matter cannot work without the direction of the living being. You cannot say matter works independently. That is not possible. Everything is...

Just like here it is said... Now we have got experience in the beach. There is always big, big waves. That water is also dull matter, and the air pushing the dull matter, water, and there is big, big waves, and it is dashing on the earth. These things are going on. So they say it is nature's work. But nature is not independent. We get this information from authoritative sastra.

Here Kapiladeva says that... There is high wind. That is due to the command, mad-bhayat vati vatah. High wind is there. Sometimes there is breezy, very nice, sometimes very high wind. So there is direction. You cannot say that it is automatically happening, no. There is direction. Krsna says that mayadhyaksena prakrtih suyate sa-caracaram: [bg. 9.10] "Under My superintendence, prakrti, nature..."

The scientists, they say nature is working wonderfully, but after all, nature is not under your control. That you have to accept. You may defy Krsna, or God, but you cannot defy the natural, nature's activities. You are subordinate. But because we do not know the background of nature, therefore we think that "Nature is working. There is no God."

But that is not fact. Nature is working under the direction. This is theism.

One who knows. Krsna says in the Bhagavad-gita that these natural, I mean to say, ingredients, prakrti, jada-prakrti, or material nature, five elements, ksitih, apam, tejas, marut, vyoma, this marut, vayu, and tejas, this sunshine, ksitih, apam, tejas, and water, the seas and oceans, the land, vast land, ksitih, apam, tejas, marut, vyoma, then sky -- they are different manifestation of Krsna's external energy. They are not independent.

There are many sastras. Therefore one has to consult the sastras. In the Brahma-samhita it is also said, "The material nature is very powerful." Srsti-sthiti-pralaya-sadhana-saktir eka: [bs. 5.44] "The material nature is so powerful that it can create, srsti, sthiti, it can maintain, and it can destroy also." Srsti-sthiti-pralaya-sadhana: "It is so powerful, it can do that."

Srsti-sthiti-pralaya-sadhana-saktir eka.

But how the material nature is working? Chayeva yasya bhuvanani bibharti durga [bs. 5.44]. The material nature is working just like shadow. Shadow. If you have got this real hand and there is shadow, if you move your hand, the shadow of the hand also moves. Similarly, this material nature is working in touch with the spirit soul.

Just like big pilot is flying in the sky -- we have got experience -- but it is not independently flying. There is the pilot. He is pushing the button, and it is flying. A big car, big machine, big factory -- without touch of spiritual touch, there is no question of moving. We have got this practical experience. Where is the evidence that, without the touch of spirit soul, that machine is moving? Is there any evidence? Then how you can say that without God, the whole universe is moving? There is no evidence. We have no such experience. Then how you can say that without the direction of God, the material nature can move? There is no such experience. And from the evidences of sastra...

Here it is said, "The wind is blowing, the water is moving, the sun is giving scorching heat, everything, all under the direction of the Supreme Personality of Godhead." Not only that, direction, but it is said, bhayat . Bhayat . Bhayat means if the respective directors or agent of different material elements, if they do not work properly, then he is punished as the master punishes the servant. Mayadhyaksena [bg. 9.10].

When Krsna was present, there was Giridhari. Giridhari, He lifted the mountain, Govardhana Hill. Govardhana-dhari. So Nanda Maharaja was arranging to worship the Indra, Indra-yajna. There are different kinds of yajna. But Indradeva was little proud that he is all in all. Everyone thinks... If he is in power, then he tries to give some trouble to others.

Similarly, all the demigods, they are, if they are not satisfied, they will give you trouble. Similarly, the Indra-yajna was there, but Krsna said to His father, "My dear father, there is no need of Indra-yajna. You better worship Govardhana Hill. He is symbolic representation of God because the cows, they get their food, grasses. So better you make this Govardhana-yajna." So first of all, Nanda Maharaja was not willing, but out of the affection of Krsna... That is devotee, that Krsna...

Devotees of Krsna, they are acting always in love for Krsna. So Nanda Maharaja changed his idea of worshiping Indra. Rather, on the contrary, all the ingredients he collected, he worshiped the Govardhana Hill and stopped Indra-yajna. So Indra became very much angry, and he sent the vicious cloud, and whole Vrndavana was inundated by flood. And Krsna showed that "Your power is not even competent to compare with the finger of My hand." Therefore He lifted the Govardhana Hill with the finger of His left hand and saved all the people of Vrndavana. Then Indra came to worship Him. These things are there in the Srimad-Bhagavatam.

So everyone is servant. Everyone is servant. You do not... You, you can perform yajnas for ordinarily, but if you keeps, if you be simply under the shelter of Krsna, you do not require to perform different demigod yajnas, deva-yajna. That is not required.

The example is given that if you pour water in the root of the tree, you do not require to pour water in the branches, in the twigs, in the flowers, in the fruits. It is automatically done. If you supply food to the stomach, then you do not require to feed the eyes, hands, legs, separately. There is no need; neither it is possible to give separate, I mean to say, food, materials for nourishing the different parts of the body. One place is sufficient. Similarly, if we worship Krsna, the source of everything, the root of everything... Aham adir hi yajnanam, devanam, deva-yajna.

So Krsna says that you don't require to perform different yajnas. That is not possible in this age especially. It requires large amount of wealth to perform such yajnas. Nowadays people are suffering for want of sufficient food grains, and in the yajna tons and thousands of mounds of food grains are offered in the fire. That is good. But there is no food grains; there is no ghee. That is not possible in this age. Therefore yajna is not possible. The...

You can perform very easily the sankirtana-yajna. Then everything will be performed. Yajnaih sankirtana-prayair yajanti hi sumedhasah [sB 11.5.32]. Those who are intelligent person, they can perform yajna, sankirtana-yajna.

This is recommended in this age. Other yajnas is not possible. Krte yad dhyayato visnum tretayam yajato makhaih [sB 12.3.52]. Tretayam. Yajna performance was very prominent in the Treta-yuga, at that time. But at present moment it is not possible. Dhyana-yajna, dravya-yajna, jnana-yajna, and sankirtana-yajna.

So in this age, sankirtana-yajna is recommended. Yajnaih sankirtana-prayair yajanti hi sumedhasah [sB 11.5.32]. Sumedhasah means those who have got good brain. And it is so easy, anywhere you can perform. Any part of the world, you assemble together. Sankirtana means bahubhir militva, by intermingling various persons. Just like we are doing here sankirtana-kirtana and sankirtana. Kirtana means alone, and sankirtana means in the assembly of many others. That is called sankirtana.

So that is recommended, that many persons, you sit together. There is no need of even instrument, but because Lord Caitanya introduced this khol, karatala. Otherwise this clapping is sufficient. So it is very easy, sankirtana-yajna. You sit down familywise, all the family members. If you perform sankirtana, Hare Krsna maha-mantra, with the clapping of hands, that is sankirtana-yajna, very easy to perform. But people will not do that.

Instead of performing sankirtana-yajna in the evening to become free from all fears of life, they will go to the restaurant, to the cinema and other places, talking unnecessarily in clubs, societies, waste their time. This is going on. This is modern education. This is modern civilization. They are not aware of the tivram bhayam, the most fierceful situation of birth, death, old age, and disease.

This is the opportunity, the human life, how to get out of it. The means are there. But we are so fools. We are so foolishly educated in the name of modern civilization that we neglect all these things and we place ourself in the waves of the material nature. Mayar bose, jaccho bhese', Khaccho habudubu bhai. We are being carried away by the waves of this material nature, and we have submitted to the laws of material nature. And therefore we are subjected to birth, death, old age, and disease. And not only birth -- there is no guarantee what kind of birth next life.

So we should not misuse this... Labdhva sudurlabham idam bahu-sambhavante manusyam [sB 11.9.29]. We should not waste our this valuable life, human form of life. We begin our this evolution.

First of all, the world is covered with water. Pralaya-payodhi-jale dhrtavan asi vedam **. Now, still, three-fourth of this earthly planet is covered with water. In the beginning, the whole earthly planet was covered with water. Gradually, the water is drying up, and the land is coming. Then we are calculating, "This is Asia. This is America. This is Europe." Land is coming out. And gradually land, land, land, land -- there will be only land, no water. That means destruction.

When there will be no water and scorching heat, the whole earthly planet will be ablaze and everything will be burned into ashes. Then again there will be rainfall, and everything will be mixed up, and then again there will destruction. This is going on. Bhutva bhutva praliyate [bg. 8.19].

And similarly, our position with this body. This will be also dissolved again. This nice form you have got, I have got, but when it will be finished, this is finished forever. We are not going to get any more. You will get different body, not exactly this body. It is bubble. One bubble lost, that is lost forever. That is lost forever. But we are so foolish, we are thinking, "This is permanent settlement, permanent settlement." This is called ignorance. There is no question of permanent settlement. Temporary under the... Prakrteh kriyamanani gunaih karmani sarvasah [bg. 3.27]. Under the laws of nature we are getting different types of bodies, different types of opportunities. And it is going on. But we are spirit soul; we are not this material body.

So we must have sense and take shelter of the Supreme Personality of Godhead to save ourself from this material condition of life, repetition of birth, death, old age, and disease. And if you think, when Krsna says that "You surrender unto Me. I will give you protection"...

So because we are foolish, we think Krsna as ordinary human being. Avajananti mam mudha manusim tanum asritam [bg. 9.11]. Because we are mudhas, rascals, we think that Krsna is a person like us. Manusim. Krsna is very kind. He comes to be visible by us exactly in the same way as we are. Manusim tanum. But we think, when Krsna comes, "Oh, He is a man. He is a man like us. God is different." Avajananti mam mudhah. Because we are mudhas. Param bhavam ajanantah.

So they do not know what is Krsna. Therefore when Krsna demands, sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [bg. 18.66], we foolish people, we think, "Oh, it is too much. Krsna is so proud that He is commanding us that 'You surrender unto Me.' Oh, I am not so fool. I am not going to do that." This is the position. Mudha. Because mudha, they are taking Krsna as ordinary human being. Because He is so kind He comes as human being and gives you the right information, right instruction. But we are so rascal that we do not accept it, do not accept it. That is our misfortune.

Those who are fortunate enough, they accept Krsna. Bahunam janmanam ante jnanavan mam prapadyate [bg. 7.19]. That fortune comes not so easily -- after struggling, after associating with Vaisnavas, with devotees, after cultivating knowledge for many, many births.

So we should take this chance. We should not be foolish. Don't be foolish, mudha. Just surrender to Krsna and execute Krsna's service, what Krsna says. Do that; you will be saved. You will be saved from these clutches of maya, repetition of birth and death. Even if you fall down, if you do not be able to execute devotional service fully, still, you will get next change as a human being. Sucinam srimatam gehe yoga-bhrasto 'bhijayate [bg. 6.41]. You will get again chance of this human body. But if you don't take Krsna consciousness, then there is no guarantee. You can become next life a cat, dog, tree, or anything, according to the infection and quality.

But if you become Krsna conscious and if you give even little service to Krsna, your next life as human being is guaranteed. And that is not ordinary human life, but sucinam srimatam gehe. Tyaktva sva-dharmam caranambujam harer bhajann apakvo 'tha patet tato yadi [sB 1.5.17]. Narada Muni said that "If one engages himself in devotional service out of sentiment, it doesn't matter. Still, if he does some service to Krsna, then he is gainer. And one who is very practical, does not take to Krsna consciousness and take to material activities and thinks that he is very advanced, there is no gain." He is under karma.

According karma, he will get body.

But a Krsna conscious human being, even though he is unable to execute properly, even if he falls down, his human life is guaranteed. His human life is guaranteed. And that life in a rich family and in very nice purified family, sucinam. Sucinam means purified family, nice brahmana, Vaisnava family. Or srimatam. Sri means opulence, those who are possessing opulence, means big mercantile family, big rich family, or big nice brahmana Vaisnava family. You get again chance.

Just like the children of these Krsna conscious members, from childhood they are getting. Our this boy, Mr. West, he is getting chance to worship Krsna. So this is sucinam srimatam gehe [bg. 6.41]. And how he is satisfied. There are so many children in our Krsna consciousness movement. From the very beginning of life they have got chance for chanting Hare Krsna, attending mangala-aratrika, taking prasadam, and reading the Srimad-Bhagavatam, Bhagavad-gita. Life is successful. Just see.

So we are after giving chance to the bewildered persons, mislead person, materialistic person, to take up this Krsna consciousness movement, and their success is guaranteed. Because Krsna says, aham tvam sarva-papebhyo moksayisyami [bg. 18.66]. If you think Krsna is ordinary person, how? Therefore Krsna says that "Don't think Me that I am ordinary person. Under My direction the wind is blowing, the sea is working, the sun it heating, and the so many things are going on." Mayadhyaksena prakrtih [bg. 9.10]. "Don't take Me so slightly." Everything is explained. Now it is our business to accept it or not accept it.

Thank you very much. (end)

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.25.42 -- Bombay, December 10, 1974

<!-- </hs:element16> --><!-- <hs:element20> -->

www.prabhupadaconnect.comprabupada_logo.jpg

<!-- </hs:element20> --><!-- <hs:element21> -->

Srila Prabhupada's

Middle East Preaching Program

(1978 - 1984)

(ISKCON Middle East logo and stamp designed by Tribhuvanatha Prabhu)

_

<!-- </hs:element3> --><!-- <hs:element4> -->

In early 1978, Tribhuvanatha Prabhu gathered together a small group of devotees with the aim of spreading Krishna consciousness in the Middle East for the pleasure of Srila Prabhupada. The group traveled overland from London to Beirut, where 5,000 Arabic Bhagavad-gitas and thousands of Arabic Isopanisads were distributed in the midst of civil war. Some devotees were imprisoned by the PLO, risking limes and limb, but were eventually released.

Over the next four-and-a-half years, books were distributed and programs were held in Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, Egypt, Kuwait, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates and the Sultanate of Oman. Eventually a preaching center was established in Cairo (see photos below), where a dedicated congregation was gradually cultivated over the years. Some prominent members of Egyptian society (including a well-known journalist, yoga teacher, and movie star) attended classes regularly, and a core group of serious followers took up the chanting of Hare Krishna on a daily basis.

A number of devotees came and went over the years, and the program met with both success and failure. Nonetheless, Srila Prabhupada's books were distributed in the thousands and many Islamic people received prasadam and chanted the holy names of Krishna. Despite the risks involved, the devotees there took great comfort in remembering Srila Prabhupada's words (from a lecture at London's Conway Hall in 1969):

"Since we have started this movement in the Western countries, Europeans, Americans, Africans, Egyptians, and Japanese are all chanting. There is no difficulty. They are chanting very gladly and they are getting the results. What is the difficulty?" (Science of Self-Realization, Chapter 5)

<!-- </hs:element4> --><!-- <hs:element5> -->www.prabhupadaconnect.comcairo_03.jpg

Bhakta Moustafa (sincere local devotee)

<!-- </hs:element5> --><!-- <hs:element6> -->www.prabhupadaconnect.comcairo_01.jpg

Bhakta Ahmed in daily meditation on the Holy Names of Krishna

<!-- </hs:element6> --><!-- <hs:element11> -->www.prabhupadaconnect.comcaironews.jpg

<!-- </hs:element11> --><!-- <hs:element12> -->

Distributing prasadam at American University Campus

(student newspaper photo)

<!-- </hs:element12> --><!-- <hs:element16> -->

Egypt was the first country in which Srila Prabhupada set foot outside India en route to America. He stopped in Port Said in 1965, and visited the town with the captain of the Jaladuta steamship. Therefore it was Srila Prabhupada himself who first initiated the preaching of Krishna consciousness in Egypt and the Middle East. He obviously struck a great interest in spreading Lord Caitanya's transcendental message here, despite the obviously unsurmountable challenges during wartime and yet he vowed that Lord Caitanya Himself would deliver these souls back home, back to Godhead, no matter what. It was only "a question of time" in Srila Prabhupada's mind.

There were many harrowing stories which occurred during these wonderful sankirtana pastimes in the flegling years begn in the very ealy 70's, and they will be published one by one in the future. But in the end, our legal and registered society ISKCON, with sole intention to win over the hearts and minds of the local Egyptian inhabitants -- especially in the poorest areas of Cairo and the ruthless campaign to cripple the simplest and most defenseless population was finally and compassionately accepted and encouraged by all the appropriate governmental agencies, and was eventually sanctioned and eagerly promoted by the various local authoities who risked their lives to ensure that the madness finally stopped. Somehow a new task force was gradually created (which took many years), but which eventually and finally saw the outcastes and devotees treated respectually and finally not opposed as aggressors and enemies. This, in itself, was truly a function and blessing of our dearmost spiritural master, Srila Prabhupada, and His beloved, Sri Giridharilal, all of Whom provided undying, selfless protection to the devotees, and transcendental impetus to Prabhupada's international and unprecedented preaching efforts worldwide.

<!-- </hs:element21> --><!-- <hs:element22> -->www.prabhupadaconnect.comegyptian_journalist.jpg

Famous Egyptian journalist reading Arabic Bhagavad-gita As It Is

www.prabhupadaconnect.comcairo_02.jpg

<!-- </hs:element30> --><!-- <hs:element31> -->

Bhakta Mohammed daily absorbed in chanting Hare Krishna

<!-- </hs:element33> --><!-- <hs:element36> -->

<!-- </hs:element36> --><!-- <hs:element24> -->www.prabhupadaconnect.comcairo_04.jpg

Students enjoying prasadam<!-- </hs:element24> --><!-- <hs:element13> --><!-- </hs:element13> --><!-- <hs:element37> --><!-- </hs:element37> --><!-- <hs:element40> --><!-- </hs:element40> --><!-- <hs:realtracker> --></NOSCRIPT><!-- </hs:realtracker> -->

Digging for "oil"...... in the Vedabase

oil.pump.500.jpg

Message To The Leaders Of IRAN

Prabhupäda: Well, scientific advancement, all this nonsense you can say. Just like Iran. God has given the oil underneath the ground, you are so proud. But if God would not give you the oil, then you starve in the desert. Then talk of improvement, nonsense. You're dependent on the oil. That is given by God. By God's grace, you have got some stock of oil, and there is good demand of oil. Then you are proud of making advancement. You are depending on the oil. The oil is supplied by God. You're dependent. Where is your independence? When the oil is finished, then your all pride is finished. Where is your independence?

-August 1976 Tehran, IRAN

oil-on-water.jpg

Ocean of Oil

Prabhupäda: Yes. In this universe only Brahmä has got four hands. Nobody within this universe. And Visnu also. In this brahmäëòa, in this universe, there is a planet where the ocean is of milk. Here, just like salted water. There are many oceans. Ocean of oil, ocean of ghee, ocean of milk. The ocean of oil, you have got experience in this planet. Within the earth you are getting some... Your civilization depending, your motor car civilization is depending on that ocean of oil.You are getting oil and lavishly spending it. Stock is supplied by God. Your material advancement will be finished if the stock is not supplied by the Lord. So these foolish men, they do not know. They think that "Without God we can live." Who has created the ocean of petroleum within the earth? Is it possible for human being? (laughter)

-1969 N.Y April

test%20tube.jpg

This contemporary civilization is so proud of its independence, but actually it is so much dependent on oil. If the oil supply is stopped, then what will these rascal scientists do? They cannot do anything. Let them try to manufacture oil in their test tubes, enough oil to run their civilization on. BTG 1974

Ugra-karma, horrible work

Srila Prabhupäda: The Western civilization is a nasty civilization, artificially increasing the necessities of life. For example,take the electric light. The electric light requires a generator, and to run the generator you need petroleum. As soon as the petroleum supply is stopped, everything will stop. But to get petroleum you have to painstakingly search it out and bore deep into the earth, sometimes in the middle of the ocean. This is ugra-karma, horrible work. The same purpose can be served by growing some castor seeds, pressing out the oil, and putting the oil into a pot with a wick.

We admit that you have improved the lighting system with electricity, but to improve from the castor-oil lamp to the electric lamp you have to work very hard. You have to go to the middle of the ocean and drill and then draw out the petroleum, and in this way the real goal of your life is missed. You are in a precarious position, constantly dying and taking birth in various species of life. How to get free of this cycle of birth and death—this is your problem. And this problem is meant to be solved in the human life. You have advanced intelligence for self-realization, but instead of using your advanced intelligence for self-realization, you are utilizing it to improve from the castor-oil lamp to the electric lamp. That's all.

Kulasekhara däsa: People would say that your suggestion is impractical. Besides, electricity does many other things besides produce light. Most of our modern comforts depend more or less on electricity.

Srila Prabhupäda: In this life you may be living very comfortably, but in the next life you might become a dog.-BTG 1981

Radha.jpg?imgmax=512

Vishnujana Swami: We're given a hint here into the nature of spiritual love. That even the dress of the spiritual body is of the nature of ever-increasing ecstasy for the Supreme Lord. Radharani is seated in the swing there with Krishna, and it's

described that Her dress is not made of cotton, it's not made of silk, it's not made of oil, like the modern, today all these fabrics are made from oil, isn't it? They take oil and they turn in into dacron and this ron and that ron, you see, so it's not

oil, it's not cotton, it's not this, it's not that, what is it? Her dress in made of ever-increasing love for Krishna. Now just imagine—what is the spiritual world. You see, that we cannot imagine, we're always used to making things out of dull matter, but in the spiritual world things are made out of ever-increasing ecstasy. So we're given a little hint.-

Visnujana Swami purport to Radhe Jaya Jaya Madhava Dayite

Formerly there was barter exchange. That was very good thing. Still in Indian villages, the remote villages, there is barter.Yes. He has produced some grains, paddy. He will bring to the storekeeper. And the storekeeper will take, "For so much

oil, you have to give me so much paddy." So he will weigh and keep it and give him oil. So he will arrange to sell the paddy. But for the villagers, he brings the paddy and he takes. They require little salt, little oil, some spices. That's all.Otherwise they have got their own thing. They have got däl, their rice, wheat, everything. They have produced. In this way, still there are, Indian villages. There is no question of scarcity.

Bhagavän: The easiest way to manage, then, is to have everything more or less in small villages.

rice.jpg

Prabhupäda: Yes, that was Gandhi's philosophy, village organization. These people, they are attracting villagers to work in the factory, and they are exploiting them. Instead of producing food, they are attracted by so-called high salaries, to the factory, and they are producing bolts and nuts, motor parts. But food is produced somewhere else. But the food producers, they are working in the factory. Therefore scarcity of foodstuff. But this factory owner, he has got more money. He doesn't care. The poor public, they are suffering.Our philosophy is that you produce your food anywhere. You stay, and keep cows, take milk, produce vegetables, food grains, and chant Hare Krsna. That's all. This is our philosophy. Make your life successful. By becoming Krsna conscious, you become free from all these troubles of material condition. This is our education. Don't be after these motorcars,television, and all nonsense things, sporting, wine, women. Don't be after these. Simply eat sufficiently, keep your health nicely, chant Hare Krsna, realize Krsna, and go back to home. This is our philosophy.

Satsvarüpa: But sometimes, because this materialistic society is so far advanced, you say we cannot actually hope to change it.

Prabhupäda: No, no. That is a fact. We cannot hope to change. But we request everyone to chant Hare Krsna.

Yogeçvara: In their factory or wherever they are.

Prabhupäda: Yes. Because it is very difficult to close the factory. That is not possible. So whatever you have done, it is all

right. But you chant Hare Krsna. Then things will be adjusted. May 1974 Rome

[url="http://www.vrindavan-dham.com/download/prabhupada_2_s.jpg"]

The initiating guru</I> is the external manifestation of God

"When we are sincere, Krishna helps us, either in external direction by the spiritual master or internally by His (God's) Paramatma expansion." -

Letter to: Pradyumna--Vrindaban 25 August, 1967

"Spiritual master is external manifestation of God. God is within and without . . . helping from within and without. Within as Paramatma and without as spiritual master. Both ways. So we have to take both ways--from inside, from outside." -

Conversation Including Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.2.1-34 Recitation & Explanation--April 1, 1969, San Francisco

Teaching two ways: from inside and outside

"Krishna is so merciful, He's trying to educate from within and outside. He sends His representative to teach. So He's trying to bring all these living entities back to home, back to Godhead. Two ways: from inside and outside."

- Morning Walk--December 10, 1973, Los Angeles

KRSNA Personally Instructs Through Guru

Guru's Instructions = KRSNA's Instructions

"The instruction given in my books is supposed to be personal instruction. When we read the

Bhagavad-gita As It Is, it is understood that we are receiving personal instructions of Krsna.

No physical barrier is there in the case of spiritual affairs.":pray:

(Letter to Dhrstaketu, 14th October, 1973)

Prabhupada_in_New_Vrindaban.JPG

Remain very humble and you should hear from the realized soul

<!-- </hs:element168> --><!-- <hs:element13> --><!-- </hs:element13> --><!-- <hs:element60> --><!-- </hs:element60> --><!-- <hs:element72> -->

"So these puffed-up persons cannot understand Krishna. One has to become very humble. Christ also says, 'The kingdom of God is for the humble and the meek.' That is actually...

And Krishna also says, sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [bg. 18.66]. This is the beginning of humbleness: 'Yes, I have nothing, insignificant.' Bahunam janmanam ante jnanavan mam [bg. 7.19]. This is real knowledge, to remain always insignificant before guru -- Krishna. Then it is profit.

If somebody thinks that 'I have become more than my guru, more than Krishna,' then he is finished. So one should become very humble and meek. It doesn't matter where he is situated, either this institutionally, brahmacari, grhastha, vanaprastha, sannyasa. Even one has taken sannyasa, he should remain always humble.

So never we should think that 'I have become very big personality.' That was the instruction of my Guru Maharaja, that bada vaisnava -- 'I am very big Vaisnava. Everyone should come and obey my orders' -- this is condemned position. The real position is one should be very humble and meek. Jnane prayasam udapasya namanta eva. Namanta means humble. One should be prepared to learn from... Namanta eva san-mukhari... Those who are pure devotee. From them one should be very much anxious to hear.

That, the same thing, anyabhilasita-sunyam [brs. 1.1.11]. Who has no other desire in the material world except to serve Krishna, he is pure devotee. So one should be anxious in humbleness to hear from such personality.

Sthane... It doesn't require to change. There are so many questions sometimes: whether it is necessary to take sannyasa and it is... By the routine work, it is necessary.

But if one is serious, so for him it is not necessary -- ahaituky apratihata -- because for a serious student of devotion, Krishna is in his hand. So anyway, even if you are a sannyasi or grhastha or vanaprastha, it doesn't matter. You should remain very humble. That is required. Sthane sthitah. And you should hear from the realized soul in humbleness. Then the Krishna, the great, He will be conquered by you."

(Srila Prabhupada lecture, Mayapur, February 10, 1976)

Nasty things called anarthas.

Below are two very nice conversations with Srila Prabhupada about how to get rid of those nasty things called anarthas and how to become and recognize a liberated person.

Dhrstaketu: ...that one is making progress by how he feels, or should he just simply execute the order of the spiritual master and not worry about how he feels? How should... In other words...

Prabhupada: If he is making progress, he must feel. If he is not making progress, then he will not feel.

Dhrstaketu: And that feeling is a willingness to serve Krsna or...

Prabhupada: No, that is always. Whether he is actually serving Krsna... That is devotion. So if he is actually serving Krsna, then anartha-nivrttih syat bhajana-kriya. Bhajana-kriya means anartha-nivrttih syat. This is the result. If his anartha is not decreasing, or becoming zero, then he is not making bhajana. He is doing something else.

Dhrstaketu: And if he's not feeling increased ecstasy, then he should try to change his position or try to perform...

Prabhupada: No. There is no change of position. Position is the same.

Dhrstaketu: Because once this question was asked that... In class a devotee asked that 'I'm losing my taste for serving the Deity, and I don't know what to do,' and so they asked this question. So...

Prabhupada: He can chant. There is no question of 'I am losing interest.' If he is actually following the rules and regulations, there is no question of losing interest.

Hari-sauri: There is never any decrease.

Dhrstaketu: You mean if one simply follows everything that is outlined in the temple schedule and...

Prabhupada: Yes. That should be strictly followed

Dhrstaketu: Then his feeling will gradually develop. He'll gradually develop love then.

Prabhupada: Yes. Anartha-nivrttih syat tato nistha. If his anartha is decreased, then he becomes firmly fixed up. There is no question of decreasing. (end)

-----------------------

Prabhupada: So, if he's trying for becoming liberated, it is understood that he was not liberated.

Dr. Patel: He must have been disillusioned by all this. He has really done work in this way that anybody would be disillusioned.

Prabhupada: Now, our point is that if you are not liberated, how you can become leader? That is cheating.

Dr. Patel: This is the (indistinct). The political, socio-political... I don't know the sort of...

Prabhupada: Our point is that if you do not get knowledge from liberated person, that knowledge is useless. That is cheating. (break) It is very easy. Just like a child. If he takes your direction, he liberated, and if he acts according to his childish nature, then he's conditioned. If you take Krsna's instruction, then you are liberated. If you manufacture your own idea, then you are conditioned. Two things. Child is not actually liberated. He is child. But because he takes blindly the direction of the father, he's liberated. That is mam eva ye prapadyante. Anyone who has surrendered to Krsna and strictly follows what Krsna says, then he is liberated. Otherwise not. If he manufactures idea, then he's conditioned.

Dr. Patel: It is what? Sarva-dharman parityajya?

Prabhupada: Yes, and it is very easy: 'Henceforward I shall simply follow what Krsna says.' That's all. You become liberated immediately. It is one minute's task, simply to decide that 'No more my concoction, my imagination.' Then he is liberated.

Dr. Patel: But this decision, all these things is done by the mind which has got all the vartmas of the past births.

Prabhupada: Mind may be, but if I ask the mind that 'You cannot do anything except what Krsna says,' then you are liberated. Very easy. You see? We are doing the same thing. We are not liberated. I am not liberated. But I am presenting Bhagavad-gita as it is. That's all. That's my doing.

Dr. Patel: You mean sve sve karmany abhiratah samsiddhim labhate narah. That is your duty you have. That is what ...

Prabhupada: So that verse is very important. That mam eva ye prapadyante mayam etam taranti te. As soon as you become fully surrendered to Krsna, you are liberated, not that liberated means one has to grow four hands and eight legs. No. Simply you have to change the consciousness, that 'Henceforward I shall act only as directed by Krsna.' That's all. You are liberated. It is one minute....

Dr. Patel: How do you get that direction moment by moment, hour by hour?

Prabhupada: By His representative, by His words, they are present. Where is the difficulty to get His direction? Tad viddhi pranipatena pariprasnena. One who has seen, one who has understood Krsna, take direction from him. 'He's my representative.' Yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasadah. If you get right guru, then you are liberated. If you follow the direction, if you want to please him, yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasadah, then you are liberated. Otherwise, what is the meaning of this? Mam eva ye prapadyante. There is no need of waiting for liberation. 'As soon as one surrenders to Me, he is immediately above the platform of maya.' Aham tvam sarva-papebhyo moksayisyami. Hare Krsna. So what was the Vinoda Bhave's statement published in the paper?

Giriraja: That he's not going to give any more public lectures and he's not going to give any more advice to any institutions.

Prabhupada: But, now he's thinking that it is useless. Otherwise why he would say like that? And moksa? He's going to try for moksa?

Giriraja: Yes. He's saying that by reducing these activities he wants to get moksa.

Prabhupada: So, our point is that if he was not on the platform of moksa, liberation, why did he waste his time by spoiling himself and for spoiling others? Now he has come to his senses, it is good, but it is to be understood that he simply spoiled his time and spoiled others' career by misleading them. Thus, without being liberated, nobody can guide anyone. That is useless. That is andha yathandhair upaniyamanah. If you have no eyes, then how can you lead others? If you are blind and they are blind, then what is the use of becoming their leaders? Actually all the so-called leaders and scholars, they are blind themselves and they have become big, big leader.

That is the misfortune of the present life. And, therefore, our proposition is you take direction from Krsna and His representative. That's all. That will help you. Try to understand this point.

Our system, parampara system, is that I am just like disciple of Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati. I don't say that l am liberated. I am conditioned. But because I am following the instruction of Bhaktisiddhanta, I'm liberated. This is the distinction between conditioned and liberated. When one is under the direction of a liberated person... The same thing: Electricity. The copper is not electricity, but when it is charged with electricity, if it is touched, that is electricity.

And, similarly, this parampara system, the electricity is going. If you cut the parampara system, then there is no electricity. Therefore it is stressed so much. Sa kaleneha mahata yogo nastah parantapa. The electricity is lost. These people, they do not know.

Now at the fag end of life, they are thinking, if intelligent person, that 'What I have done actually?' If one has sense, he should come to this understanding. By cutting some, what is that? Dead trees? The civil disobedience began by cutting dead trees. Is it not?

Vinoda Bhave, he began his leadership forty years ago by cutting... Gandhi also, civil disobedience. So this kind of leadership might have been little enthusiasm for the time being, but actually what people gain by that, such leadership?

Dr. Patel: Anta-kale 'pi brahma-nirananda. He thinks that way, that in last moment he is, come to that stage, he will be ...

Prabhupada: That is very good, but we should know also that so long, whatever he has done, that is from the blind platform, so nobody has gained anything.

And if it was on the real platform, then svalpam apy asya dharmasya trayate mahato bhayat. So krsna-bhakti is such nice thing that even a little... The more he advances in sevonmukha, by service, God becomes revealed to him. And then buddhi-yogam dadami tam.

Then as he becomes more confidential, then he is imparted buddhi-yogam, means bhakti-yoga. What is that bhakti-yoga? Yena mam upayanti te. 'That bhakti-yoga, by which he can come back to Me.' Not that bhakti-yoga means you remain here in this rotten place. Yena mam upayanti te. Tesam satata-yuktanam bhajatam priti-purvakam, buddhi-yogam dadami tam.

He can receive that buddhi-yoga. What is that buddhi-yoga? Yena mam upayanti. So this is required. This is the ultimate goal of life.

Dr. Patel: But that buddhi-yoga which we have left undone in the previous birth, God with His mercy gives you that buddhi...

Prabhupada: Buddhi-yoga continues, continues. If it is unfinished... Unless that buddhi-yoga is complete, one is not allowed. One is not allowed. He remains within this material world, very opulent position. Position like Indra, Candra, Brahma. They are devotees, but not pure devotees. They have got some tinge of material enjoyment. Therefore they are given big, big post. One has become Brahma, one has become the king of heaven; one has become the king of moon planet, sun planet. They are not ordinary living being.

Srila Prabhupada, is the Authority.

032.jpg

Prabhupada: No, why you bring religion at all? It is science. Religion is a kind of faith. But science is not faith. You may have faith or may not have faith. Science, "Two plus two equal to four," everywhere.

Why they forget this? This is a science, vijnana. Jnanam te 'ham sa-vijnanam idam vaksyamy asesatah. It is vijnana. And they are interpreting in different way, "Two plus two equal five." Big, big men, they are doing that. Two plus two equal five because somebody, some big man has said? This is going on. Somebody said, "Two plus two equal to three"; somebody says "Two plus two equal five.In my opinion it is five." And somebody: "In my opinion it is three." What is this nonsense? This is going on. And they are big men. They are leaders, mudha. This is the position of India.

D. Desai: But Swamiji, you are just... (Hindi) on Hindu...

Prabhupada: I'm not (Hindi). My jnana is Bhagavad-gita. That's all. Neither (Hindi). But what Krsna says, I accept. That's all. They say, "Swamiji, you have done wonderful." I do not know what is magic, wonderful. But one thing wonderful I have done, that I have not adulterated on the words of Krsna. That I have not. And therefore the effect is very good. I have not adulterated. I don't say, "Two plus two equal to five" or "three." I say "Four." Krsna has said. That's all.

770107ed.bom 461033/530501

Prabhupada:.So if you think that Indira Gandhi... I think so also because I have heard so many times. Why not...? Her position is very nice. If she actually follows the instruction of Krsna, her position will be more secure. That is sure. Let her take this.

Guest (1): But who will advise her, sir?

Prabhupada: I will advise!

Guest (1): Ah, that is it. That is the...

Prabhupada: You arrange, I will advise her. I am not proud, but I am the authority at the present moment. It is not pride. It is the fact! So let her take! Let her understand. The authority is there. And what is understanding? It is simple truth. Everyone can understand. Any child can understand. There is no difficulty. We make it difficult by our rascal interpretation...

How would you understand the purpose?

Prof. Hopkins: It's difficult for people outside the society of Krsna consciousness to see what the purpose is. How would you understand the purpose? Simply to make God known? How would you state...

Prabhupada: Our purpose is how to become happy. Everyone is struggling how to become happy. Somebody is thinking that 'If I can get money then I'll be happy.' Somebody is thinking that 'If we become one with the Supreme, then I'll be happy.' And somebody thinks that 'If I can get material power, then I'll be happy.' So those who are thinking in terms of money, they are karmis. And those who are thinking in terms of becoming one, they are jnanis. And those who are thinking in terms of getting material power, they are yogis. But the bhaktas, they don't want any such perfection. They, bhaktis, 'Let me worship the Supreme, that's all.' Therefore he has already (indistinct) and they are all in want. Bhakta is satisfied simply by worshiping the Lord. Svamin krtartho 'smi. And all others, karmis, jnanis, yogis, they want something so they cannot be happy. So if happiness is my aim, then I must become a bhakta, otherwise there is no happiness. You are always in want. Somebody is in want of money, somebody is in want to becoming one with the Supreme, and somebody wants to show some jugglery, mysticism. So they want something. And a devotee, he doesn't want all these things. He wants to serve Krsna, that's all. No demand. And he serves Krsna without any motive. Ahaituky apratihata. That is bhakta.

Prof. Hopkins: So what you are doing is simply showing people how to be happy.

Prabhupada: Yes.

Prof. Hopkins: I like that.

Prabhupada: Thank you. That is the real want, how to become happy.

Prof. Hopkins: It's remarkable how complicated simple things get.

Prabhupada: The example is also very simple. Just like a child is crying and somebody is offering some milk, somebody is offering something but he is still crying. Could not find any cause. Then when the child goes to the mother's lap, immediately (claps)--stops. He understands immediately, 'Now I am on the lap of my mother, then everything is all right.' Yam labdhva caparam labham manyate nadhikam tatah. Everyone is hankering after making some profit, this way, that way, this way, that way. But when one becomes, gets that supreme thing then he thinks, 'Oh, I don't want anything.' That is happiness. Unhappiness due to want. So the karmis, jnanis, yogis, they are all in want. They want something. Bhaktas are also sometimes in want. They want Krsna. And in absence of Krsna they are very unhappy, but that unhappiness ia greater than (material) happiness....

--------------------

SB 5.5.35 Purport

Lord Rsabhadeva' s Teachings to His Sons

krsna-bhakta----niskama, ataeva 'santa'

bhukti-mukti-siddhi-kami----sakali 'asanta'

The word santa means completely peaceful. Unless all one's desires are fulfilled, one cannot be peaceful. Everyone is trying to fulfill his aspirations and desires, be they material or spiritual. Those in the material world are asanta (without peace) because they have so many desires to fulfill. The pure devotee, however, is without desire. Anyabhilasita-sunya: a pure devotee is completely free from all kinds of material desire. Karmis, on the other hand, are simply full of desires because they try to enjoy sense gratification. They are not peaceful in this life, nor the next, during the past, present or future. Similarly. jnanis are always aspiring after liberation and trying to become one with the Supreme. Yogis are aspiring after many siddhis (powers)--anima, laghima, prapti, etc. However, a devotee is not at all interested in these things because he is fully dependent on the mercy of Krsna. Krsna is yogesvara, the possessor of all mystic powers (siddhis), and He is atmarama, fully self-satisfied.

74-01-07.Mal Letter: Malati 296558/530501

You write that things are in a crises in England, with oil shortage and IRA bombing. Therefore, we have to take shelter of Krsna. If Krsna wants to kill us that is not wrong, if it is His desire. Our business should just to be to follow the regulative schedule, deity worship, distributing prasadam, chanting, book distribution and never mind the material danger. Krsna Consciousness means to be on the platform of deathlessness. Every sloka in Bhagavad-gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam is informing us of this.

If you read these books carefully you will understand this platform of deathlessness as opposed to the material condition in which no one wants to die but no one can check death.

God will give us a spiritual master

MR. O'GRADY: I am very confused.

SRILA PRABHUPADA: So you must approach a spiritual master.

MR. O'GRADY: And he makes a decision on how to help me stop this confusion?

SRILA PRABHUPADA: Yes, the spiritual master is one who solves all confusion. If the spiritual master cannot save his disciple from confusion, he is not a spiritual master. That is the test.

samsara-davanala-lidha-loka-

tranaya karunya-ghanaghanatvam

praptasya kalyana-gunarnavasya

vande guroh sri-caranaravindam

This whole confused world is just like a blazing forest fire. In a forest fire all the animals are confused. They do not know where to go to save their lives. In the blazing fire of the material world, everyone is confused. How can that blazing forest fire be extinguished? It is not possible to utilize your man-made fire brigade, nor is it possible to simply pour buckets of water. The solution comes when rain from the clouds falls on the forest fire. Only then can the fire be extinguished. That ability is not in your hands, but is in the mercy of God.

So, human society is in a confused state, and it cannot find a solution. The spiritual master is one who has received the mercy of God, and he can deliver the solution to the confused man. One who has received the mercy of God can become a spiritual master and deliver that mercy to others.

MR. O'GRADY: The problem is to find this spiritual master.

SRILA PRABHUPADA: That is not a problem. The problem is whether you are sincere. You have problems, but God is within your heart. Isvarah sarva-bhutanam. God is not far away. If you are sincere, God sends you a spiritual master. Therefore God is also called caitya-guru, the spiritual master within the heart. God helps from within and from without. Everything is thus described in Bhagavad-gita.

This material body is like a machine, but within the heart is the soul, and with the soul is the Supersoul, Krsna, who gives directions. The Lord says, "You wanted to do this; now here is the chance. Go and do it." If you are sincere, you say, "Now, God, I want You." Then He will give you directions. "Yes, now you come and get Me like this."

This is His kindness. However, if we want something else, that is all right. We can have it. God is very kind. When I want something, He is in my heart directing me and telling me how to have it. So why should He not give directions on how to have a spiritual master? First of all we must again be eager to revive our God consciousness. Then God will give us a spiritual master.

MR. O'GRADY: Thank you very much.

SRI KRISHNA BHAJANAMRTA

By Srila NARAHARI SARKARA THAKUR

"Narahari was the fortieth (branch of the Caitanya tree)."

PURPORT

By Srila Prabhupada

"Narahari das Sarkara was a very famous devotee.

Locan das Thakur, the elaborated author of

Caitanya-mangala, was his disciple.

In Caitanya-mangala it is stated that

Sri Gadadhara das and Narahari Sarkara

were extremely dear to Sri Caitanya Mahparabhu."

Sri Caitanya-Caritamrta - Adi-Lila Chapter 10

INTRODUCTION

The Sri Krsna Bhajanamrta is the original work of Sri Narahari

Sarkara Thakur, the famous devotee who offered Lord Caitanya the

personal service of fanning with camara. The Sri Krsna Bhajanamrtam

is possibly the only known book which deals with practical aspects of

dealings between disciples and guru including when the guru falls down.

Therefore Sri Krsna Bhajanamrta is very timely for better understanding...

...the authorized manner in which to deal with sensitive issues regarding initiating gurus and siksa gurus. The Sri Krsna Bhajanamrta was only printed once as far as is known in the Bengali year 1309, which brings it to the late 19th century.

Verse 1

I offer my respectful obeisances to that incarnation of Godhead who

has distributed more unlimited causeless mercy than any other Avatara.

He is the total Lord of my life--Sri Krishna Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

Verse 2

I offer my respectful obeisances to Sri Sukadeva Goswami who is like

the ripened fruit of the trees of devotional service. He is eternally

relishing in the transcendental mellows in devotional service.

Verse 3 & 4

During this Kali Yuga, when the time of Lord Sri Krishna Caitanya

Mahaprabhu and Lord Sri Nitayananda Prabhu's transcendental pastimes

become unmanifest. Their Lordships become the object of

transcendental research and discussion. At that time all level of

devotees including uttama adhikary, madhhyama adhikary, and kanistha

adhikary shall always be in anxiety and it will be at all times. They

shall almost feel uncertainty in their hearts regarding the correct

understanding of the eternal truths of devotional service.

Verse 5 & 6

I offer my respectful obeisances in full surrender to the thousands

and thousands of previous Vaisnavas and particularly to those

paramahamsas, perfect souls, who meditate constantly in pure loving

devotion on the lotus feet of Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and by

His mercy are studying all of the Vedic literature in regard to

devotional service. Following in the footsteps of these great

spiritual authorities I shall explain the clear transparent conclusions

of the scriptures in their concise, condensed form, with some detailed explanations.

Verse 7

I, Narahari Das, consider myself to be a fool. Therefore, how will

I be able to explain this most difficult subject matter on the

absolute conclusions of the sastra?

Will the learned Vaisnavas bless

my deliberations that they may not be false or deviate from the

authorized conclusions of the sastra in any respect.

Verse 8

In any case, whether someone has all good qualities or whether one

has no good qualities, whether one is a fool or whether one is a great

pandit; who is there in this material world who is able to completely

understand pure devotional service to Krsna?

Verse 9

In my sleep while dreaming I said the above words. While dreaming

I was meditating upon the words of previous authorities and great

Vaisnava acaryas and their conclusions on the authorized sastra in

regard to pure devotional service. While thus engaged in my dream

suddenly my heart became filled with spiritual bliss as if I had

entered and taken shelter of an ocean of transcendental nectar.

Verse 10 & 11

Just at that time Lord Sri Krishna Caitanya Mahaprabhu appeared

holding the hand of Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya.

Lord Caitanya said,

"sadhu, sadhu." As Lord Caitanya said these words he was laughing

and he came and stood before me saying, "What he has said is

certainly true. Now awaken and arise." Saying these words again

and again Lord Caitanya disappeared from my vision.

Verse 12

Thereafter, meditating on the lotus feet of Lord Sri Krishna Caitanya

Mahaprabhu who is known as Gaurahari, I got up from my bed and I was

feeling great separation being deprived of his transcendental

association, I considered my unqualified self blessed by Lord

Caitanya's causeless mercy upon me.

Verse 13

Feeling myself blessed by the mercy of Lord Sri Krsna Caitanya

Mahaprabhu and remembering His merciful words, while being absorbed

in the remembrance if His transcendental glories I was immersed in

an ocean of transcendental bliss. At that time I could not understand

my actual condition.

Verse 14

On the strength of the mercy of Lord Sri Krsna Caitanya Mahaprabhu I

have decided to write something. Using my intelligence I have

considered the truth of devotional service and although considering

myself a fool I have written in my own hand, sometimes in verse and

sometimes in prose, this supremely auspicious "Bhajanamrta."

Verse 15

In this Kali Yuga the great paramahamsa perfect devotees who have

descended to this universe in order to purify it have blessed me

with their remnants which I have accepted. As I am strictly following

in the footsteps of these liberated souls this work is completely

purified with their blessings.

Verse 16

At the outset of this work my humble prayer is that all pure,

non-envious devotees of Lord Sri Krsna, the Supreme Personality of

Godhead may listen to these authorized words as I have heard them from

the great Vaisnava authorities of the disciplic succession.

Verse 17

It is well known from the authorized Vedic literatures that in this

Kali Yuga, through the power of the holy name of Lord Sri Krishna,

all Vaisnavas are equal and qualitatively non-different from Lord

Krsna. However, it is seen that amongst the Vaisnavas that sometimes

in some places some Vaisnavas appear greater or lesser. In such cases, how is it to be understood?

Verse 18

Amongst all of the assembled Vaisnavas there is the initiating guru

and the instructing guru. In regard to them what type of behavior is authorized?

Verse 19-27

Verse 28

Now listen to the authorized conclusions of the previous authorities.

Verse 29

It is certainly true that all Vaisnavas are on the same transcendental

platform. However, although amongst Vaisnavas there may be a difference in spiritual strength, how will the less intelligent materially attached sense-gratifiers, who become afraid just by seeing

the horrifying appearance of beggar mendicants, ascertain the actual strength of a saintly person?

Since they cannot distinguish between

a lesser spiritual force and a greater spiritual force, they do not know how to deal appropriately with different saintly persons.

Therefore they treat every one the same. Since they don't know how to

distinguish between the specific character of greater spiritual personalities

from lesser spiritual personalities; rather than risk their destruction

by neglecting a potentially spiritual personality: they treat everyone on the same level.

Verse 30

However all those practicing Vaisnavas progressing on the path of devotional service, who have heard and understood the conclusion of

the revealed sastras and are therefore endowed with special intelligence are able to recognize who is more spiritually powerful and who is less spiritually powerful. Those who are expert in the

science of devotional service can understand in whose body what quantity of Krsna's spiritual potency is present. Being able to

understand who has less spiritual potency and who has more spiritual

potency, they offer special treatment considering the scriptural injunctions in this regard.

Verse 31

If one can distinguish between the greater or lesser spiritual strength

of a person but does not accordingly offer respect, then that person shall be held guilty for that offense.

Verse 32

For the reason mentioned before, if two Vaisnavas come at the same time, one of greater strength, one of lesser spiritual strength, first

one has to offer respect to the Vaisnava of greater strength then offer to the Vaisnava of lesser strength.

Verse 33

Should the respect due to a Vaisnava of greater strength or to a Vaisnava of lesser strength be offered at the same level if they come at a different time? Equal respect should not be offered to

both even if they are not present at the same time.

Verse 34

If a volcano type of fire is burning, the wise man will extinguish the volcano fire then

a candle light can easily be extinguished. Similarly if one is able to appropriately receive and respect Vaisnavas possessed of great

spiritual force to their satisfaction, then on shall easily be able to

satisfy those Vaisnavas of lesser potency.

Verse 35

If a person of small spiritual advancement sees a great devotee endowed with considerable spiritual potency being worshipped and

given respect, should the less advanced person become angry upon seeing this? For this offence against the more advanced person's spiritual position the foolish offender will ruin whatever spiritual

potency he possesses. Subsequently, in the future, such angry persons simply plan how they can punish those who have participated in such worship.

Verse 36

Those who are well-versed in all of these matters, having heard properly from authorities, those Vaisnavas who are enthusiastically

engaged in worshipping the Supreme Personality of Godhead and all those transcendentalists who are practicing the spiritual path, know

the truths in regard to these matters. However, in spite of knowing these truths, if they do not appropriately offer worship, then they will be spiritually ruined. However, if they consider the respective

spiritual strength or lack of strength and accordingly and offer respect,

then they will certainly advance in Krsna Consciousness.

Verse 37

For those who take shelter of the great Sumeru mountain what canothers do to harm them? Others should offer them worship as devotees

with respect and service.

Verse 38

One should never engage in criticizing a Vaisnava or neglecting a Vaisnava even in joking. For Vaisnavas are so glorious that there is nothing to regret even if one sacrifices ones life for their benefit.

Verse 39

No one should find fault with a Vaisnava for his activities or behavior. What person is free from the influence of Kali Yuga or has perfect pure behavior and action?

Verse 40

Because the Vaisnava devotees of the Lord are always meditating on Lord Sri Krsna the contamination of sinful activities cannot come upon them.

Because a Vaisnava's body has the fire of Krsna Consciousness within it, even if they are fallen, this fire of Krsna Consciousness will burn up to ashes any material contamination.

Verse 41

However, those who are not able to understand the respective levels of spiritual potency may take shelter of this example.

As in the Ganges there are many waves, and some of these waves are larger then other waves but all of the waves are considered to be sacred, one wave

being not considered more holy than another wave, similarly, all types of Vaisnavas, those who are spiritually strong and those who are not so strong, can be offered equal worship.

Considering this perspective in such circumstances that can be accepted as perfect worship.

Here completes the conclusion in this regard.

Verse 42

All Vaisnavas are considered as guru or spiritual master.

Verse 43

Amongst all of the Vaisnavas the initiating guru (diksa-guru) and instructing guru (siksa-guru) are special.

Verse 44

It is proper to offer these two special respect.

Verse 45

Amongst all of the other spiritual masters these two (diksa-guru and siksa-guru) spiritual masters' orders are to be followed.

Verse 46

If one's initiating spiritual master and instructing spiritual master are of small spiritual potency, or in other words, if they do not posess a special power to give spiritual instruction on worship for

devotional service, then one may listen from the mouth of other great advanced Vaisnavas and understand the special instructions.

However, thereafter, the disciple must go to his spiritual master for his confirmation or instructions.

Verse 47

One should not disobey the order of the spiritual master.

Verse 48

Just as a faithful son may go out for earning money and subsequently brings to his father the wealth gained, later the son may ask for some

allowance from the father and whatever he receives from the father he is entitled to spend of his own enjoyment.

Similarly, a disciple may hear fome instructions from another advanced Vaisnava, but after

gaining that good instruction he must bring it and present it to his own spiritual master. After presenting them, he should hear the same teachings again from his spiritual master with appropriate instructions.

Verse 49

If the son earns money but does not give it to the father and instead,directly enjoys the wealth, he is considered to be a fallen son and a sinful person. Similarly a disciple who listens to the words of

other Vaisnavas, even if their instructions are proper and true, but does not re-confirm these teachings with his own spiritual master and instead directly personally accepts these instructions, is considered

a bad disciple and a sinner.

Vers 50

For this reason, in all circumstances all Vaisnavas are offered respect unlike one offers respect to one's spiritual master. However, with body,

mind and words one serves one's own spiritual master.

Verse 51

Even if the performance of ones's devotional activities one has disobeyed the spiritual master, still one should not give him up, but should remain faithful to him, because all authorities say

that the shelter of one's own spiritual master is best and perfect

(even if another spiritual master is more powerful).

Verse 52

Kindly understand this example:

Just as one respects one's father as a guru, his (the father's) older and younger brothers are also similarly respected, but

nonetheless, the father is worthy of the utmost respect. Notwithstanding the above, if the father's guru, even if he is family related, comes, one should double the respect, as he is the spiritual father of the father, or the guru of the guru. He is offered twice the puja or respect.

This behavior is recognized as appropriate by all authorities.

Verse 53

Just as if, during daily life, the brothers (older or younger) of the father criticize him, still one takes shelter of one's father,

similarly, one remains under the shelter of one's own spiritual master, even if he is criticized by his older or younger godbrothers.

Just as one depends upon one's father for one's livelihood, one must depend upon the strength of the spiritual master for advancing in devotional service.

Verse 54

If a father or spiritual master or husband are not possessed of outstanding qualities even then they are always worshipable.

Verse 55

Taking shelter of the above-mentioned persons one may even disagree with those senior to oneself.

Verse 56

In this world, what kind of person is there who can remain alive at the expense of his father's or guru's defamation or disgrace?

Verse 57

Everyone considers that if their spiritual master is very powerful then he himself is powerful but that if his spiritual master is less powerful, then he is, therefore weaker, and according to the attitude

of the spiritual master the disciple gains the same attributes.

Those disciples who are intelligent can understand the desires of the spiritual master directly through their intelligence. Other disciples, who are less intelligent understand by directly hearing instructions

from the spiritual master. These activities are being practiced since time immemorial.

Verse 58

Learned Vaisnava authorities say that these instructions are the perfection of religiosity.

Verse 59

If the spiritual master commits a wrongful act breaking Vaisnava relative principles then in that case one should in a solitary place, confront him for his rectification using logic and appropriate conclusions from sadhu, sastra and guru references, but one is not to give him up.

Verse 60

One should not be hesitant or fearful because one is confronting or challenging a spiritual master.

"For it has been prescribed that one must appropriately discipline even a spiritual master who is:

*bewildered about what he should or shouldn't do;

*who is inexperienced or ignorant:

*who has deviated from the Krsna conscious path;

*or if he is bewildered by false pride."

Verse 61

This statement of the revealed scriptures is applicable at all times and under all circumstances.

Verse 62

The natural behavior of the Vaisnava devotees is to take complete refuge of Lord Sri Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, accepting Him as their principal and real shelter.

The very life of the Vaisnava devotees of the Lord is singing the glories or Lord Sri Krsna, describing and expanding the fame of Lord Sri Krsna, and

discussing the nectar of His transcendental pastimes.

Verse 63

The authorized course of action is to continue, as before, with one's prescribed devotional service. One may take guidance through or instructions from the Vaisnavas, as all Vaisnavas are considered

guru or "spiritual master", or one may use one's own intelligence, duly considering the relevant instructions from sadhu, sastra and guru.

In all cases one should continue in one's devotional service.

Verse 64

However, if the spiritual master:

*acts enviously towards 'isvarebrantah', that which is

connected with the Supreme;

*is bewildered regarding the Supreme Personality of

Godhead;

*is averse to expanding the fame of Lord Krsna;

*personally refuses to accept hearing or chanting about

the glorious pastimes of Lord Sri Krsna;

*has become totally bewildered, listening to the false

praise of ignorant persons and day by day is more

materially contaminated and fallen;

then the spiritual master must be renounced.

Verse 65

Under those circumstances one should not doubt,

"How can I give up my spiritual master?"

With a strong desire for achieving spontaneous

devotional service and attaining the lotus feet of Lord Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, a devotee accepts the shelter of a spiritual master, if that spiritual master takes on "asuric" qualities or a demoniac mentality then it is one's duty to reject such a demon

"asura" guru and in his place accept a Krsna conscious spiritual master and worship him.

Verse 66

By taking shelter of the strength of the Krsna conscious spiritual master's devotional service the ill effects or contamination of the demoniac previous spiritual master is counteracted and destroyed.

These activities are recommended by all Vaisnava authorities as the authorized conclusions of the sastra.

Verse 67

During the pastimes of Lord Sri Krsna Caitanya Mahaprabhu there have been many practical examples of the above.

This concludes the deliberation and final conclusions of sadhu, sastra on guru on the spiritual master and related matters.

END ---

Translated by Bhanu Swami

Sanskrit/Bengali Editing by: Subhag Swami

In a talk given in England in 1973:

"Get Out Of The Darkness; Come To The Light!"

om ajnana-timirandhasya

jnananjana-salakaya

caksur unmilitam yena

tasmai sri-gurave namah

"I was born in the darkest ignorance, and my guru, my spiritual master, opened my eyes with the torch of knowledge. I offer my respectful obeisances unto him."

The word ajnana means "ignorance" or "darkness." If all the lights in this room immediately went out, we would not be able to tell where we or others are sitting. Everything would become confused. Similarly, we are all in darkness in this material world, which is a world of tamas. Tamas or timira means "darkness."

This material world is dark, and therefore it needs sunlight or moonlight for illumination. However, there is another world, a spiritual world, that is beyond this darkness. That world is described by Sri Krsna in the Bhagavad-gita [15.6]:

na tad bhasayate suryo

na sasanko na pavakah

yad gatva na nivartante

tad dhama paramam mama

"That abode of Mine is not illumined by the sun or moon, nor by electricity. One who reaches it never returns to this material world."

The guru's business is to bring his disciples from darkness to light. At present everyone is suffering due to ignorance, just as one contracts a disease out of ignorance. If one does not know hygienic principles, he will not know what will contaminate him. Therefore due to ignorance there is infection and we suffer from disease.

A criminal may say, "I did not know the law," but he will not be excused if he commits a crime. Ignorance is no excuse. Similarly, a child, not knowing that fire will burn, will tough the fire. The fire does not think, "This is a child, and he does not know I will burn." No, there is no excuse.

Just as there are state laws, there are also stringent laws of nature, and these laws will act despite our ignorance of them. If we do something wrong out of ignorance, we must suffer. This is the law. Whether the law is a state law or a law of nature, we risk suffering if we break it.

The guru's business is to see that no human being suffers in this material world. No one can claim that he is not suffering. That is not possible. In this material world, there are three kinds of suffering: adyatmika, adhibhautika, and adhidaivika. These are miseries arising from the material body and mind, from other living entities, and from the forces of nature.

We may suffer mental anguish, or we may suffer from other living entities-from ants or mosquitoes or flies - or we may suffer due to some superior power. There may be no rain, or there may be flood. There may be excessive heat or excessive cold.

So many types of suffering are imposed by nature. Thus there are three types of miseries within the material world, and everyone is suffering from one, two, or three of them. No one can say that he is completely free from suffering.

We may then ask why the living entity is suffering. The answer is: out of ignorance. He does not think, "I am committing mistakes and am leading a sinful life; that is why I am suffering." Therefore the guru's first business is to rescue his disciple from this ignorance.

We send our children to school to save them from suffering. If our children do not receive an education, we fear that they will suffer in the future. The guru sees that suffering is due to ignorance, which is compared to darkness. How can one in darkness be saved ? By light.

The guru takes the torchlight of knowledge and presents it before the living entity enveloped in darkness. That knowledge relieves him from the sufferings of the darkness of ignorance.

One may ask whether the guru is absolutely necessary. The Vedas inform us that he is:

tad-vijnanartham sa gurum evabhigacchet samit-panih srotriyam brahma-nistham [Mundaka Upanishad 1.2.12]</PRE>The Vedas enjoin us to seek out a guru; actually, they say to seek out the guru, not just a guru. The guru is one because he comes in disciplic succession. What Vyasadeva and Krsna taught five thousand years ago is also being taught now. There is no difference between the two instructions.

Although hundreds and thousands of acaryas have come and gone, the message is one. The real guru cannot be two, for the real guru does not speak differently from his predecessors.

Some spiritual teachers say, "In my opinion you should do this," but this is not a guru. Such so-called gurus are simply rascals. The genuine guru has only one opinion, and that is the opinion expressed by Krsna, Vyasadeva, Narada, Arjuna, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and the Gosvamis. Five thousand years ago Lord Sri Krsna spoke the Bhagavad-gita, and Vyasadeva recorded it.

Srila Vyasadeva did not say, "This is my opinion." Rather, he wrote, sri-bhagavan uvaca, that is, "The Supreme Personality of Godhead says." Whatever Vyasadeva wrote was originally spoken by the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Srila Vyasadeva did not give his own opinion.

Consequently, Srila Vyasadeva is a guru. He does not misintrepret the words of Krsna, but transmits them exactly as they were spoken. If we send a telegram, the person who delivers the telegram does not have to correct it, edit it, or add to it. He simply presents it. That is the guru's business. The guru may be this person or that, but the message is the same; therefore it is said that guru is one.

In the disciplic succession we simply find repetition of the same subject. In the Bhagavad-gita [9.34] Sri Krsna says:

man-mana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji mam namaskuru mam evaisyasi yuktvaivam atmanam mat-parayanah</PRE>"Engage your mind always in thinking of Me, become My devotee, offer obeisances, and worship Me. Being completely absorbed in Me, surely you will come to Me."

These very instructions were reiterated by all the acaryas, such as Ramanujacarya, Madhvacarya, and Caitanya Mahaprabhu. The six Gosvamis also transmitted the same message, and we are simply following in their footsteps. There is no difference.

We do not interpret the words of Krsna by saying , "In my opinion, the Battlefield of Kuruksetra represents the human body." Such interpretations are set forth by rascals. In the world there are many rascal gurus who give their own opinion, but we can challenge any rascal.

A rascal guru may say, "I am God," or, "We are all God." That is all right, but we should find out from the dictionary what the meaning of God is. Generally, a dictionary will tell us that the word God indicates the Supreme Being. Thus we may ask such a guru, "Are you the Supreme Being ?" If he cannot understand this, then we should give the meaning of supreme. Any dictionary will inform us that supreme means "the greatest authority."

We may then ask, "Are you the greatest authority?" Such a rascal guru, even though proclaiming himself to be God, cannot answer such a question. God is the Supreme Being and the highest authority. No one is equal to Him or greater than Him. Yet there are many guru-gods, many rascals who claim to be the Supreme. Such rascals cannot help us escape the darkness of material existence. They cannot illumine our darkness with the torchlight of spiritual knowledge.

The bona fide guru will simply present what the supreme guru, God, says in bona fide scripture. A guru cannot change the message of the disciplic succession.

We must understand that we cannot carry out research to find the Absolute Truth. Caitanya Mahaprabhu Himself said, "My Guru Maharaja, My spiritual master, considered Me a great fool." He who remains a great fool before his guru is a guru himself. However, if one says, "I am so advanced that I can speak better than my guru," he is simply a rascal.

In the Bhagavad-gita [4.2] Sri Krsna says:

evam parampara-praptam imam rajarsayo viduh sa kaleneha mahata yogo nastah parantapa</PRE>"This supreme science was thus received through the chain of disciplic succession, and the saintly kings understood it in that way. But in course of time the succession was broken, and therefore the science as it is appears to be lost."

Taking on a guru is not simply a fashion. One who is serious about understanding spiritual life requires a guru.

A guru is a question of necessity, for one must be very serious to understand spiritual life, God, proper action, and one's relationship with God. When we are very serious about understanding these subjects, we need a guru.

We shouldn't go to a guru simply because a guru may be fashionable at the moment. Surrender must be there, for without surrender we cannot learn anything. If we go to a guru simply to challenge him, we will learn nothing. We must accept the guru just as Arjuna accepted his guru, Sri Krsna Himself:

karpanya-dosopahata-svabhavah prcchami tvam dharma-sammudha-cetah yac chreyah syan niscitam bruhi tan me sisyas te 'ham sadhi mam tvam prapannam</PRE>"Now I am confused about my duty and have lost all composure because of weakness. In this condition I am asking You to tell me clearly what is best for me. Now I am Your disciple and a soul surrendered unto You. Please instruct me." [Bhagavad-gita 2.7]

This is the process for accepting a guru. The guru is Krsna's representative, the former acaryas representative. Krsna says that all acaryas are His representatives; therefore the guru should be offered the same respect one would offer to God. As Visvanatha Cakravarthi Thakura says in his prayers to the spiritual master, yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasadah: "By the mercy of the spiritual master, one receives the benediction of Krsna." Thus, if we surrender to the bona fide guru, we surrender to God. God accepts our surrender to the guru.

In the Bhagavad-gita [18.66] Krsna instructs:

sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja aham tvam sarva-papebhyo moksayisyami ma sucah</PRE>"Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reaction. Do not fear."

Someone may argue, "Where is Krsna " I shall surrender to Him." But no, the process is that we first surrender to Krsna's representative; then we surrender to Krsna. There it is said, saksad-dharitvena samasta-sastraih: the guru is as good as God.

When we offer respects to the guru we are offering respects to God. Because we are trying to be God conscious, it is required that we learn how to offer respects to God through God's representative. In all the sastras the guru is described to be as good as God, but the guru never says, "I am God." The disciple's duty is to offer respect to the guru just as he offers respect to God, but the guru never thinks, "My disciples are offering me the same respect they offer to God; therefore I have become God." As soon as he thinks like this, he becomes a dog instead of God.

Therefore Visvanatha Cakravarti says, kintu prabhor yah priya eva tasya. Because he is the most confidential servitor of God, the guru is offered the same respect that we offer God. God is always God, guru is always guru. As a matter of etiquette, God is the worshipable God, and guru is the worshiper God (sevaka-bhagavan). Therefore the guru is addressed as prabhupada. The word prabhu means "lord," and pada means "position." Thus prabhupada means "he who has taken the position of the Lord." This is the same as saksad-dharitvena samasta-sastraih.

Only if we are very serious about understanding the science of God is a guru required. We should not try to keep a guru as a matter of fashion. One who has accepted a guru speaks intelligently. He never speaks nonsense. That is the sign of having accepted a bona fide guru. We should certainly offer all respect to the spiritual master, but we should also remember how to carry out his orders.

In the Bhagavad-gita [4.34] Sri Krsna Himself tells us the method of seeking out and approaching the guru:

tad viddhi pranipatena pariprasnena sevaya upadeksyanti te jnanam jnaninas tattva-darsinah</PRE>"Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized soul can impart knowledge unto you because he has seen the truth."

The first process is that of surrender. We have to find an exalted person and willingly surrender before him. The sastras enjoin that before we take a guru we study him carefully to find out whether we can surrender to him.

We should not accept a guru suddenly, out of fanaticism. That is very dangerous. The guru should also study the person who wants to become a disciple to see if he is fit. That is the way a relationship is established between the guru and disciple. Everything is provided, but we must take up the process seriously. Then we can be trained to become a bona fide disciple.

First we must find a bona fide guru, establish our relationship with him, and act accordingly. Then our life will be successful, for the guru can enlighten the sincere disciple who is in darkness.

Everyone is born a rascal and a fool. If we are born learned, why do we need to go to school ? If we do not cultivate knowledge, we are not better than animals. An animal may say that there is no need of books and that he has become a guru, but how can anyone obtain knowledge without the study of authoritative books on science and philosophy ? Rascal gurus try to avoid these things.

We must understand that we are all born rascals and fools and that we have to be enlightened. We have to receive knowledge to make our lives perfect. If we do not perfect our lives, we are defeated. What is this defeat ? The struggle for existence. We are trying to obtain a better life, to attain a superior position, and for this we are struggling very hard. But we do not know what a superior position actually is.

Whatever position we have in this material world must be given up. We may have a good position or a bad position; in any case, we cannot remain here. We may earn millions of dollars and think, "Now I am in a good position, " but a little dysentery or cholera will finish our position. If the bank fails, our position is gone.

So actually there is no good position in this material world. It is a farce. those who try to attain a better position in the material world are ultimately defeated, because there is no better position. The Bhagavad-gita [14.26] says what the better position is:

mam ca yo 'vyabhicarena bhakti-yogena sevate sa gunan samatityaitan brahma-bhuyaya kalpate</PRE>"One who engages in the spiritual activities of unalloyed devotional service at once transcends the modes of mateiral nature and is elevated to the spiritual platform."

Is there any science that gives us the knowledge by which we may become immortal ? Yes, we may become immortal, but not in the material sense. We cannot receive this knowledge in so-called universities. However, there is knowledge contained in the Vedic scriptures by which we may become immortal. That immortality is our better position. No more birth, no more death, no more old age, no more disease.

Thus the guru takes on a very great responsibility. He must guide his disciple and enable him to become an eligible candidate for the perfect position - immortality. The guru must be competent to lead his disciple back home, back to Godhead. :pray:

Prabhupada said.

035.jpg

…just like in our ISKCON there are so many false things:

“Prabhupāda said this, Prabhupāda said that.”

(Letter to: Krsna dāsa—Vrndāvana 7 November, 1972)

Prabhupāda: Yes, preaching, preaching, you will become perfect preacher. Preach only what you have heard from Krsna and guru, that’s all. Don’t add and subtract. Then you are secure. And if you add some concoction just like somebody says that “I may do whatever I like independently. If I chant, then everything is all right,” this is nonsense addition. It is not the fact. That is the danger. Some inexperienced man, he introduces some concoction. Sometimes they say, “Prabhupāda said it.” More misleading. Yes. (Morning Walk—February 3, 1975, Hawaii)

Prabhupāda: So, when you change, then the authority is lost. Just like in our society, sometimes they do something nonsense and they say, “Prabhupāda said.” (laughter) They are doing that. We know that. It is deteriorated like that. Therefore Krsna said, sa kaleneha mahata yogo nastah kaunteya: “And in due course of time, this yoga was lost. Therefore I am repeating the same thing, old philosophy to you.” So it requires like that.

(Room Conversation with Carol Cameron—May 9, 1975, Perth)

“Unless it is there from me in writing, there are so many things that ‘Prabhupāda said.’”

(Letter to: Okāra—Vndāvana 2 September, 1975)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=800 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=18></TD><TD vAlign=top width=4 height=></TD><TD vAlign=top width=9></TD><TD vAlign=top width=130><!--more_stories.gif--></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=136 height=3></TD><TD vAlign=top width=17 height=3></TD><TD vAlign=top width=20 height=3></TD><TD vAlign=top width=383 height=3></TD><TD vAlign=top width=18 height=3></TD><TD vAlign=top width=4 height=3></TD><TD vAlign=top width=9 height=3></TD><TD vAlign=top width=130 height=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=800 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=136 bgColor=#cc3333><CENTER><!-- SiteSearch Google --><FORM action=http://www.google.com/custom method=get target=google_window></FORM><!-- SiteSearch Google --></CENTER>

Spiritualize yourself; otherwise it is useless

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=17></TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Srimad-Bhagavatam 2.1.1

--

New York, April 10, 1969

Prabhupada: This is confirming the statement of Caitanya-caritamrta, that guru-krsna-krpaya paya bhakti-lata-bija [Cc. Madhya 19.151]. Two things required, Guru and Krsna, to advance in the spiritual realization or Krsna consciousness.

So here it is, Krsna is pleased in the family of the Pandavas. So Pariksit Maharaja was going to die. Pariksit Maharaja was grandson of Arjuna, and he was also a devotee. So therefore by the mercy of Krsna, a bona fide spiritual master is sent to Pariksit Maharaja. Guru-Krsna.

When one is sincere, then Krsna is sitting within everyone. As soon as He sees that,

“Here is a sincere soul. He’s seeking after Me,” so He manifests Himself out externally as spiritual master. The spiritual master is therefore representative of Krsna. Guru-krsna-krpaya paya bhakti-lata-bija [Cc. Madhya 19.151]. Two things.

Without being representative of Krsna, nobody can become spiritual master. Krsna-sakti vina nahe tara pravartana. Without being empowered by Krsna, nobody can preach, nobody can become a spiritual master.

So here Sukadeva Gosvami sent by Krsna on the verge of his death. Guru-krsna-krpaya paya bhakti-lata-bija [Cc. Madhya 19.151]. Ei rupe brahmanda bhramite kona bhagyavan jiva [Cc. Madhya 19.151]. This opportunity is obtained by a very fortunate person. Because the living entities are wandering within this universe, packed up, from one planet to another, from one species life to another species of life. In this way, he is wandering. He is not fixed up.

Today I am American or Indian, tomorrow or next birth, I do not know what is going to happen to me. But this body for good will be finished. I’ll never get this body. I’ll get another body. Maybe a demigod’s body or a tree’s body or a plant’s body or animal’s body—I must get another body.

So the living entity is wandering in this way, vasamsi jirnani. Just like we change our dress from one dress to another, similarly we are changing different positions by the influence of maya. Maya is forcing me. Prakrteh kriyamanani gunaih karmani [bg. 3.27]. As soon as I am desiring something, immediately my body is formed. Immediately a particular type of body begins to form, and as soon as I am mature to change, my next body I get according to my desire. Therefore we should always desire Krsna. Then from this life, the Krsna-approaching body or the spiritual body will be formed.

The more you become sincere servant of Krsna, the more your body becomes Krsna-ized, electrified. Therefore advanced Krsna conscious person is considered to have a spiritual body.

The same example, as I have given several times: just like iron rod. You put into the fire, it becomes warmer, warmer. The more it is connected with fire, it becomes warm, warm, warm. And at last it becomes red hot, so that at that time, if that iron is touched to any other thing, it burns. It does not act as iron; it acts as fire.

Similarly, by this Krsna consciousness, continuous chanting, you will make your body spiritualized. At that time, wherever you go, wherever you touch, he’ll be spiritualized. Similarly, the iron... Without being spiritualized, without being red hot, if you touch, it will not act.

So every one of us, those who have come to this Krsna consciousness movement, expected to preach in the future and to become a spiritual master also in the future. But first of all you must spiritualize yourself; otherwise it is useless.

So krsna-sakti vina nahe. Without... Just like without being red hot, you cannot burn any other thing. Similarly, without being fully spiritualized, you cannot make others spiritualized. Therefore we have to follow the parampara system. The disciplic succession, as we get the knowledge, as we get the power, as we get the instruction, so we have to follow. That will help me to spiritualize myself. And when you are spiritualized... You’ll have to wait for that time. Then, wherever you will preach, the result will be there.

So by the grace of Lord Krsna, Sukadeva Gosvami has reached Pariksit Maharaja. Therefore at the verge of Maharaja Pariksit’s death, Sukadeva Gosvami was sent to help him in the process of self-realization. Without spiritual master’s help, nobody can become self-realized. Our Vaisnava philosophy does not allow that you shall become self-realized by your own endeavor.

Just like other schools, they think, Buddha school, that by meditation... I do not know whether in Buddha school the spiritual master is accepted. But our Vaisnava school, without acceptance of spiritual master, there is no possibility of self-realization.

Guru-krsna-krpaya paya bhakti-lata-bija [Cc. Madhya 19.151].

Then, (reading) “Maharaja Pariksit was a devotee of Lord Krsna from his childhood, so he had natural affection for Krsna, and Sukadeva Gosvami could understand his devotion to Lord Krsna. Therefore he welcomed the question about his duty because the king hinted that worship of Lord Krsna is the ultimate function of every living entity. Sukadeva Gosvami welcomed this suggestion and said, ‘Because you have raised the question about Krsna, your question is most glorious.’ ”

The next sloka is variyan esa te prasnah [sB 2.1.1]. Sukadeva Gosvami welcomed the prasna, the question about Krsna, and that we shall discuss next day.

Thank you very much. (end)

"Why pretend there is some mystery that one needs an embodied guru to explain it to you."

O My God!:pray: What a statement from our dear old friend Theist! :eek2:

Isn't this throwing out the baby with the bath water?:confused:

Have we bought into this becasuse we live in the so-called modern era that we can dismiss the eternal sad-guru who appears in front of our eyes and senses as conditioned souls to impart tattva-jnana?:confused:

Is not the knowledge of KRSNA confidential, mystical and hence a mystery to the conditioned soul who needs a embodied (spiritualized body) Guru to reveal the truth of KRSNA to him?:confused:

there have been systematic attempts of the Vaishnavas influenced by the Judeo-Christian tradition, to strip Vaishnavism of all it's mysticism and unique character, and to reduce it to yet another Christianity-type belief system. The mantras have become 'prayers', the dikisa initiation became 'baptism', the senior Vaishnava gurus became 'priests'. They claim that all you need is the books (which became 'the Bible') of one and only true 'savior', Srila Prabhupada.

It is all bogus, however well intentioned.

<table><tbody><tr><td>Canto 4: Creation of the Fourth Order

</td><td class="m">Chapter 20: Lord Viṣṇu's Appearance in the Sacrificial Arena of Mahārāja Pṛthu

</td></tr></tbody></table>Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 4.20.25

sa uttamaśloka mahan-mukha-cyuto

bhavat-padāmbhoja-sudhā kaṇānilaḥ

smṛtiḿ punar vismṛta-tattva-vartmanāḿ

kuyogināḿ no vitaraty alaḿ varaiḥ

SYNONYMS

saḥ — that; uttama-ślokaO Lord, who are praised by selected verses; mahat — of great devotees; mukha-cyutaḥ — delivered from the mouths; bhavat — Your; pada-ambhoja — from the lotus feet; sudhā — of nectar; kaṇa — particles; anilaḥ — soothing breeze; smṛtim — remembrance; punaḥ — again; vismṛta — forgotten; tattvato the truth; vartmanām — of persons whose path; ku-yoginām — of persons not in the line of devotional service; naḥ — of us; vitarati — restores; alam — unnecessary; varaiḥ — other benedictions.

TRANSLATION

My dear Lord, You are glorified by the selected verses uttered by great personalities. Such glorification of Your lotus feet is just like saffron particles. When the transcendental vibration from the mouths of great devotees carries the aroma of the saffron dust of Your lotus feet, the forgetful living entity gradually remembers his eternal relationship with You. Devotees thus gradually come to the right conclusion about the value of life. My dear Lord, I therefore do not need any other benediction but the opportunity to hear from the mouth of Your pure devotee.

PURPORT

It is explained in the previous verse that one has to hear glorification of the Lord from the mouth of a pure devotee. This is further explained here. The transcendental vibration from the mouth of a pure devotee is so powerful that it can revive the living entity's memory of his eternal relationship with the Supreme Personality of Godhead. In our material existence, under the influence of illusory māyā, we have almost forgotten our eternal relationship with the Lord, exactly like a man sleeping very deeply who forgets his duties. In the Vedas it is said that every one of us is sleeping under the influence of māyā. We must get up from this slumber and engage in the right service, for thus we can properly utilize the facility of this human form of life. As expressed in a song by Ṭhākura Bhaktivinoda, jīva jāgo, jīva jāgo. The Lord asks every sleeping living entity to get up and engage in devotional service so that his mission in this human form of life may be fulfilled. This awakening voice comes through the mouth of a pure devotee.

A pure devotee always engages in the service of the Lord, taking shelter of His lotus feet, and therefore he has a direct connection with the saffron mercy-particles that are strewn over the lotus feet of the Lord. Although when a pure devotee speaks the articulation of his voice may resemble the sound of this material sky, the voice is spiritually very powerful because it touches the particles of saffron dust on the lotus feet of the Lord. As soon as a sleeping living entity hears the powerful voice emanating from the mouth of a pure devotee, he immediately remembers his eternal relationship with the Lord, although up until that moment he had forgotten everything.

For a conditioned soul, therefore, it is very important to hear from the mouth of a pure devotee, who is fully surrendered to the lotus feet of the Lord without any material desire, speculative knowledge or contamination of the modes of material nature. Every one of us is kuyogī because we have engaged in the service of this material world, forgetting our eternal relationship with the Lord as His eternal loving servants. It is our duty to rise from the kuyoga platform to become suyogīs, perfect mystics. The process of hearing from a pure devotee is recommended in all Vedic scriptures, especially by Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu. One may stay in his position of life — it does not matter what it is — but if one hears from the mouth of a pure devotee, he gradually comes to the understanding of his relationship with the Lord and thus engages in His loving service, and his life becomes completely perfect. Therefore, this process of hearing from the mouth of a pure devotee is very important for making progress in the line of spiritual understanding.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>Canto 4: Creation of the Fourth Order

</TD><TD class=m>Chapter 20: Lord Viṣṇu's Appearance in the Sacrificial Arena of Mahārāja Pṛthu

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 4.20.25

This is the nectar of life! More, please give me more. Only such words of hope of everlasting freshness possible by the holy utterances coming from the lotus lips of pure bhaktas of Lord Sri KRSNA can we know of anything coming from KRSNA's spiritual realm.