IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Is A Physically Present Spiritual Master Required?

Rate this topic

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid" bgColor=#e0e0e0>Originally Posted by indulekhadasi

Why are highly confidential letters posted out for everyone to read?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->

Some were highlly confidential when they were wriiten 30 or so years ago but now they are historical writings that historians can study. There is even a letter to me that is very confidential and personal, where Prabhupada chastises me, but I see that letter now as an historical statement about what being a disciple of Guru actually mean.

What does it actually mean to become a disciple of a bona-fide Guru?

It means the disciple must become bona-fide himself by surrender, inquiry and service. And especially the disciple must willingly accept being reprimanded by the guru in order to become purified, rectified and free from all anarthas ( ie.,unwanted material desires).:pray:

Originally Posted by Sarva gattah

Letters, 1975

Melbourne

My Dear Madhudvisa Swami:

If one does not follow the regulative principles, then he will leave. That is a fact. This is the function of the GBC, to see that one may not be taken away by maya. The GBC should all be the instructor gurus. I am in the initiator guru, and you should be the instructor guru by teaching what I am teaching and doing what I am doing. This is not a title, but you must actually come to this platform. This I want.

I hope this meets you in good health.

Your ever well wisher,

A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

ACBS/bs

-

Nice letter. ***** Come to the platform of practical devotional service, act on the platform of the soul, theory becomes practice. Intruct by practicing youself, become guru by showing how it is done.:deal:

<CENTER></CENTER><CENTER>
Transcendental Sound Vibrations
</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER>
musicbars.gif
</CENTER><CENTER>Govinda Jaya Jaya
</CENTER>

<CENTER>Siksastakam Listen English Translation</CENTER>

<CENTER>
Lalasamayi Prarthana

Jaya Radha Madhava

Hare Krishna Mantra

Bhoga Arati

Guruvastakam

Vrindavan Kirtan

Nama Sankirtan

Vande Ham

Srila AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada speaks about his Sannyas Guru

Srila Bhakitsiddhanta Prabhupada Video

Hare Krsna

Sweet Video ( God Brothers )

Bhajahu Re Mana

Sri Rupa Manjari Pada

Krsna Kirtan and Video of Morning Walk

Govinda Gopala Murari

Narada Muni Bhajaya Vina

Sri Krsna Caitanya Prabhu

Anupamamadhuri

Vrindavana Vilasini

Radhe Syama

real.JPGmusicbars.gifquick.JPG

</CENTER>

Thanks I'm listening to all this nectar now - WONDERFUL

"Eager to Talk with Krishna" Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.25.35

Bombay, December 4, 1974

listen

<HR width="60%" color=#ff0000 SIZE=1>

"O My mother,

My devotees always see the smiling face of My form,

with eyes like the rising morning sun. :)

They like to see My various transcendental forms,

which are all benevolent,

and they also talk favorably with Me.":pray:

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: navbar_link -->Is A Physically Present Spiritual Master Required?

Yes, Absolutely. Physically means Spiritually!:pray:

Yes, in the Present means eternally Present, Here And Now Forever!:pray:

Yes, Spiritual Master means Guru who Krsna has sent to you personally, as His means of delivering you according to your desire to want to know, reciprocate with and love Krsna!:pray:

Yes, Guru is an absolute requirement without which Krsna will never be pleased. It is His way of manifesting before you, a fallen conditioned soul in need of causelesss mercy and hence revealing his very self in the form of the spiritual master. :pray:

Krsna will not look at your face otherwise; insubordanation or trying to reach Krsna without the help of Guru is not allowed.:deal:

The way, the truth and the life to Krsna is through Guru, there is no other method of approaching the divinity except and save through the via medium of His Divine Grace, the spiritual master!:pray:

"Softness of the heart is compared with honey, with butter and with nectar. And the condition of the mind is compared with sunshine. As honey and butter become melted even in slight sunshine, so soft-hearted persons become easily melted. Nectar, however, is by its nature always liquid. And the hearts of those who are in pure ecstatic love with Krsna are by nature always liquified, just like nectar."

-- Nectar of Devotion

Vow of chanting attentively, on each bead, made to Guru impresses Krsna

Devotee: Can you give some practical advice as far as chanting kirtan and japa?

Vishnujana Swami: Kirtan is to be executed constantly. Lord Chaitanya went through the streets and He invited everyone to join in the sankirtan movement, constantly chanting the holy names of the Lord. So arrangements should be made for the chanting of the holy names of the Lord to go on in every town and village, constantly. In every media -- radio, television, etc. -- chanting should be going on, along with nice dancing and feasting. That's the program.

Then, as far as japa is concerned, one has to chant personally for his advancement in Krishna Consciousness, 16 rounds daily on his beads. There are helps in chanting attentively. One of these helps obviously is simply the beads. The beads are given to you by the Spiritual Master, and you chant Hare Krishna, paying attention to each bead. And this vow of chanting attentively, on each bead, this vow impresses the Supreme Lord.

He sees that you are serious, and He gives you realization. It's that simple. You chant in regulation and vow; the Supreme Lord sees,

"Oh, he is serious. He's keeping his vow,"

and then He gives you realization.

If you don't chant attentively, if you don't, you're thinking of making the 10 kinds of offenses while chanting, then the Lord will see that you're desiring something else. After all, you can't fool Him -- He's living right there within your heart. He knows your desire before you even speak or think.

So, if while you're chanting you're committing offenses, thinking of sense gratification, being attached to material objects, then the Lord will know what you really want, and therefore you won't feel the bliss of chanting offenselessly. The Lord won't allow you to feel that, because you are desiring other things. See, the main thing is to realize that

"I'm dealing with Krishna."

That's the main thing.

That this chanting --

"I'm being with Krishna; therefore I have to be very careful."

Krishna can't be fooled like you can fool me. You can easily fool me, that you are chanting attentively, you see. That's easy to fool me because my senses are imperfect... [break] ...Actually, if you see me come in the room and you are thinking something nonsense and doing something nonsense, and immediately you feel ashamed, actually you should feel that way twenty-four hours a day, because Krishna is always there, witnessing. You know how it is that you'll be doing some nonsense and you're thinking that no one is watching.

"No one knows what I am thinking."

But as soon as your godbrother comes in and suspects you, then immediately you feel ashamed,

"Oh, I'm doing something which is not good."

You're hurting yourself for not realizing that you're dealing with Krishna

Now, the difficulty here is that you don't realize that it's not good for you. It's not that you're offending me; you're hurting yourself -- this is what they don't understand, you see. This means that he doesn't understand that he's hurting himself.

So herein lies a great difficulty: there's a blind spot in our consciousness, that we don't know that our actions are directly harming our development in Krishna Consciousness, if we're not humble in dealing with Krishna at every moment. We don't understand that. We don't give that value, you see, we think we're simply socially existing. That if I do some offense, then my godbrother will criticize me and I have to bear his criticism.

No. You're hurting yourself for not realizing that you're dealing with Krishna. That is the worse suffering. That's the worst illusion, you see. Therefore japa is meant as an individual practice of Krishna Consciousness. So that for some time, at least two hours during the day, you stop socially dealing. You understand?

You stop socially dealing and you realize that,

"I am dealing with Krishna."

If I make offense in thought, well here's the holy name right on my lips; the Lord is right there, and He is witnessing. You can easily fool me as we're going through the day's activities, if you're looking lustfully on a girl or this or that. That's easy, you see, and if I catch you, you can feel that,

"Oh, Vishnujana has caught me,"

or this or that.

But the difficulty is that you don't realize that you're dealing with Krishna. Therefore one of the beautiful aspects of japa is it forces you to realize that

"When no one else is around, and I'm chanting Hare Krishna, I'm dealing with Krishna."

And,

"Unless I do it properly, then I'm being offensive to the Lord."

There's no one else to hurt but me. I can't hurt Vishnujana, I can't hurt this one, I can't hurt that one, you see. I can't offend them, all I can do is offend God and myself. Therefore, this solitary chanting of japa is also recommended. Japa is done individually.

Sometimes I see devotees, they have a collective japa class. No, japa means individually, we are chanting, for two hours. So try to utilize that time, scrutinizingly... :pray:

VSN: Bhagavad-gita Class 4.36 - St. Louis, Missouri -- March 27, 1973 >>> Ref. VedaBase => VSN: Bhagavad-gita

You can ask through the spiritual master about Krsna

Prabhupada:

To glorify Srimati Radharani. So if Radharani's pleased, he'll be able to approach Krsna very easily. And that is the goal of our life. That is the goal of life. Vita-raga-bhaya-krodha man-maya mam upasritah [bg. 4.10]. Mam upasritah means you have to take... You cannot take shelter of Krsna directly. You have to take shelter of His potency.

Krsna is therefore trying to help us. Guru-krsna-krpaya paya bhakti-lata-bija

[Cc. Madhya 19.151]. He is within. He is called caitya-guru. If you are purified... Krsna...

Buddhi-yogam dadami tam. He'll directly speak you. And so long you cannot, then He sends His representative, the spiritual master, the guru. You can ask through the spiritual master about Krsna. Yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasadah **.

So in this way we have to be absorbed in the thought of Krsna. We have to take shelter of Krsna. Then... If you take shelter of Krsna, this jnana...

vasudeve bhagavati

bhakti-yogah prayojitah

janayaty asu vairagyam

jnanam ca yad ahaitukam

[sB 1.2.7]

The same thing. Krsna will speak. Krsna is within you. Simply you have to take shelter of Krsna, always thinking of Krsna, chant

Hare Krsna Hare Krsna

Krsna Krsna Hare Hare,

Hare Rama Hare Rama...

Guests: Rama Rama Hare Hare.

Prabhupada: Thank you very much. That's all.

(end)

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Bhagavad-gita 4.10 -- Calcutta, September 23,

A Sweet Explanation Of The Maha Mantra

Oh Radha, please attract my mind, and free me from this material world.

Oh Krishna, please attract my mind.

Oh Radha, please attract my heart by showing your sweetness.

Oh Krishna, purify my mind by giving knowledge of how to perform worship of you through your pure devotee.

Oh Krishna, give me steadiness to appreciate your name, qualities and pastimes.

Oh Krishna, may I develop a taste for serving you.

Oh Radha, please make me qualified for your service.

Oh Radha, please instruct me on how I can serve you.

Oh Radha let me hear you’re intimate pastimes with your beloved.

Oh Rama (Krishna), let me hear your intimate pastimes with your beloved.

Oh Radha, reveal to me your pastimes with your beloved.

Oh Rama, reveal to me your pastimes with your beloved.

Oh Rama, engage me in remembering your name, form, qualities and pastimes.

Oh Rama, please make me qualified for your service.

Oh Radha, be pleased with me.

Oh Radha, be pleased with me.

***Note: This is from the pen of a disciple of Srila Svarupa Damodara Goswami the intimate personal secretary of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.

Do you really need help? If so, Krsna will send Guru to help you without a doubt!

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>

Whatever you are instructed by the Caitya Guru internally may be confirmed by the instructor or initiator externally

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

"Regarding your question of Paramatma: you are fortunate enough for your sincere service, Krishna as Paramatma Who is sitting within your heart is now dictating. Krishna is so kind that He wants to help us as Spiritual Master in two ways. He helps us from within as Caitya Guru and He expands Himself externally as Siksa Guru (as instructor) and diksa Guru (initiator). So the principle is that whatever you are instructed by the Caitya Guru internally may be confirmed by the instructor or initiator externally. Then your progress will be complete."

Srila Prabhupada Letter to Sivananda, 05-21-69

<CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex">drop.gif</CENTER><CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex"> </CENTER><CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex">First thing is knowledge</CENTER>

"Well initiation or no initiation, first thing is knowledge... knowledge. Initiation is formality. Just like you go to a school for knowledge, and admission is formality. That is not very important thing."

Srila Prabhupada Press Interview, 10-16-76, Chandigarh

<CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex">drop.gif</CENTER><CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex"> </CENTER><CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex">Diksa Guru points disciples in the direction of the truths pertaining to Sri Krsna</CENTER>

"The initiating spiritual master (diksa-guru) shows his cause-less mercy by giving his disciples instructions in chanting the mantra. By so doing, he points the disciples in the direction of the truths pertaining to the Supreme Lord, Sri Krsna. I consider the numerous instructing spiritual masters (siksa-gurus) to be more important, for they show more mercy by training the sadhakas in all the essential aspects of sadhana-bhakti."

Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakur, Kalyana-kalpataru

<CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex">drop.gif</CENTER><CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex"> </CENTER><CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex">Siksa and diksa-guru</CENTER>

"Prabhupada: "Then so siksa and diksa-guru... A siksa-guru who instructs against the instruction of spiritual, he is not a siksa guru. He is a demon. Siksa-guru, diksa-guru means... Sometimes a diksa-guru is not present always. Therefore one can take learning, instruction, from an advanced devotee. That is called the siksa-guru. Siksa-guru does not mean he is speaking something against the teachings of the diksa-guru/Acarya. He is not a siksa-guru. He is a rascal."

Srila Prabhupada Lecture on Bhagavad-gita 17:1-3, 07-04-74, Honolulu

<CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex">drop.gif</CENTER><CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex"> </CENTER><CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex">It is imperative that a serious person accept a bona fide spiritual master in terms of the sastric injunctions</CENTER>

"If one develops love for Krsna by Krsna conscious activities, one can know the Supreme Absolute Truth, but he who tries to understand God simply by logical arguments will not succeed, nor will he get a taste for unalloyed devotion. The secret is that one must submissively listen to those who know perfectly the science of God, and one must begin the mode of service regulated by the preceptor. A devotee already attracted by the name, form, qualities, etc., of the Supreme Lord may be directed to his specific manner of devotional service; he need not waste time in approaching the Lord through logic. The expert spiritual master knows well how to engage his disciple's energy in the transcendental loving service of the Lord, and thus he engages a devotee in a specific devotional service according to his special tendency. A devotee must have only one initiating spiritual master because in the scriptures acceptance of more than one is always forbidden. There is no limit, however, to the number of instructing spiritual masters one may accept. Generally a spiritual master who constantly instructs a disciple in spiritual science becomes his initiating spiritual master later on.

One should always remember that a person who is reluctant to accept a spiritual master and be initiated is sure to be baffled in his endeavor to go back to Godhead. One who is not properly initiated may present himself as a great devotee, but in fact he is sure to encounter many stumbling blocks on his path of progress toward spiritual realization, with the result that he must continue his term of material existence without relief. Such a helpless person is compared to a ship without a rudder, for such a ship can never reach its destination. It is imperative, therefore, that one accept a spiritual master if he at all desires to gain the favor of the Lord. The service of the spiritual master is essential. If there is no chance to serve the spiritual master directly, a devotee should serve him by remembering his instructions. There is no difference between the spiritual master's instructions and the spiritual master himself. In his absence, therefore, his words of direction should be the pride of the disciple. If one thinks that he is above consulting anyone else, including a spiritual master, he is at once an offender at the lotus feet of the Lord. Such an offender can never go back to Godhead. It is imperative that a serious person accept a bona fide spiritual master in terms of the sastric injunctions. Sri Jiva Gosvami advises that one not accept a spiritual master in terms of hereditary or customary social and ecclesiastical conventions. One should simply try to find a genuinely qualified spiritual master for actual advancement in spiritual understanding."

Caitanya-caritamrta, Adi lila 1:35

<CENTER style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex">drop.gif</CENTER>

Accept an Uttama-Adhikari as a spiritual master

"One should not become a spiritual master unless he has attained the platform of Uttama-Adhikari. A neophyte Vaisnava, or a Vaisnava situated on the intermediate platform, can also accept disciples, but such disciples must be on the same platform and it should be understood that they cannot advance very well toward the ultimate goal of life under his insufficient guidance. Therefore, a disciple should be careful to accept an Uttama-Adhikari as a spiritual master."

Nectar of Instruction, Chapter 5 c.gifBhaktivedanta Book Trust. HDG A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada.

In the Caitanya-caritamrta it is said,

nitya-siddha krsna-prema sadhya kabhu naya

sravanadi-suddha-citte karaye udaya

[Cc. Madhya 22.107]

The meaning is that our love for Krishna is eternal.

:pray:

(Srila Prabhupada lecture, Geneva, June 1, 1974)

Click here to listen to Srila Prabhupada's lectures and bhajans.

Just as by digging the ground with a shovel (spade) one obtains water, so by serving a bona-fide spiritual master the serious disciple attains realized knowledge.( vijana):pray:

Manu-smrti 2.218

" Try to Vibrate the Mantra "

Devotee: Jaya Sri Guru.:pray:

Prabhupada: Have kirtana.:)

Devotees: All glories to Srila Prabhupada. (devotees offer obeisances):namaskar: :namaskar: :namaskar:

Prabhupada: Vibration of this mantra will purify. Even if we do not understand the meaning, try to vibrate the mantra.

(end)

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 2.3.1-4 -- Los Angeles, May 24, 1972

"One should follow the instruction of the acarya."

"
Evam parampara-praptam imam rajarsayo viduh
(Bhagavad-gita 4.2).

This Bhagavad-gita As It Is is received through this disciplic succession:

<CENTER>1. Krsna

2. Brahma

3. Narada

4. Vyasa

5. Madhva

6. Padmanabha

7. Nrhari

8. Madhava

9. Aksobhya

10. Jaya Tirtha

11. Jnanasindhu

12. Dayanidhi

13. Vidyanidhi

14. Rajendra

15. Jayadharma

16. Purusottama

17. Brahmanya Tirtha

18. Vyasa Tirtha

19. Laksmipati

20. Madhavendra Puri

21. Isvara Puri, (Nityananda, Advaita)

22. Lord Caitanya

23. Rupa, (Svarupa, Sanatana)

24. Raghunatha, Jiva

25. Krsnadasa

26. Narottama

27. Visvanatha

28. (Baladeva) Jagannatha

29. Bhaktivinoda

30. Gaurakisora

31. Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura

32. Srila A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada" </CENTER>

"So we should hear from the sampradaya-acarya by disciplic succession. As Krsna recommends in this Bhagavad-gita:
evam parampara-praptam imam rajarsayo viduh
."

Srila Prabhupada Lecture on Bhagavad-gita, 11-30-72, Hyderabad

"Our Indian spiritual life is guided by the acaryas, sampradaya acarya, the Ramanujacarya, Madhvacarya, Visnuswami and Nimbarka. There is... Whole Indian spiritual culture is dependent on the guidance of these acarya. And in the Bhagavad-gita also, in the Thirteenth Chapter, it is advised,
acarya upasanam
:
"One should follow the instruction of the acarya."
That is our Vedic civilization."

Srila Prabhupada Lecture to World Health Org., 06-06-74, Geneva

Grains of Wheat

Once a Guru handed over some grains of wheat to two of His disciples and told them,

'Preserve these grains carefully until I return'.

On His return after a year, the Guru approached the first disciple and asked him,

'Have you preserved the wheat carefully ?'

Replying in the affirmative the disciple brought forth the container with the wheat grains and showed it to the Guru saying,

'The wheat You had given me is just as it was'.

Then the Guru approached the second disciple and asked him the same question. The disciple then took the Guru to a nearby field. The Guru was overjoyed seeing a field flourishing with the wheat crop everywhere.

In the same way, one should spread the Holy Name and spiritual knowledge (divya-jnana) imparted to one by the Guru, to others.:pray:

Srila Prabhupada was once asked by a senior disciple,

"Srila Prabhupada, Why are you travelling the world so much to see your disciples if you are personally present in your books?" :confused:

“For the intelligent I am in my books” he replied, “for the less intelligent I make a personal appearance.” :pray:

I am always with you. Never mind if I am physically absent.

Physical presence is immaterial. Presence of the transcendental sound from Guru

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Physical presence is immaterial. Presence of the transcendental sound

received from the Spiritual Master should be the guidance of

life. That will make our spiritual life successful. If you feel very

strongly about my absence you may place my pictures on my sitting

places and this will be source of inspiration for you. (Letter to

Brahmananda and other students, 19/1/67)

But always remember that I am always with you. As you are always

thinking of me, I am always thinking of you also. Although

physically we are not together, we are not separated spiritually. So

we should be concerned only with this spiritual connection.

(Letter to Gaurasundara, 13/11/69)

So we should associate by vibration, and not by the physical presence.

That is real association.

(Lectures SB, 68/08/18)

There are two conceptions, the physical conception and the vibrational

conception. The physical conception is temporary. The

vibrational conception is eternal.[...] When we feel separation from

Krsna or the Spirirual Master, we should just try to remember their

words or instructions, and we will no longer feel that separation.

Such association with Krsna and the Spiritual Master should be

association by vibration not physical presence. That is real

association. (Elevation to Krsna Consciousness,(BBT 1973), Page 57)

Although according to material vision His Divine Grace Srila

Bhaktisiddhanta Sarsavati Thakura Prabhupada passed away from this

material world on the last day of December 1936, I still consider his

Divine Grace to be always present with me by his vani, his

words. There are two ways of association - by vani and by vapuh. Vani

means words and vapuh means physical presence. Physical

presence is sometimes appreciable and sometimes not, but Vani

continues to exist eternally. Therefore, one must take advantage of

the Vani, not the physical presence. (CC, Antya 5 Conclusion)

Therefore we should take advantage of the Vani, not the physical

presence. (Letter to Suci Devi Dasi, 4/11/75)

I shall remain your personal guidance, physically present or not

physically present, as I am getting guidance from my Guru Maharaja.

(Room Conversation, Vrindavan, 14/7/77)

It is sometimes misunderstood that if one has to associate with

persons engaged in devotional service, he will not be able to solve

the economic problem. To answer this argument, it is described here

that one has to associate with liberated persons not directly,

physically, but by understanding, through philosophy and logic, the

problems of life. (SB 3:31:48)

I am always with you. Never mind if I am physically absent. (Letter

to Jayananda, 16/9/67)

Paramananda: We're always feeling your presence very strongly, Srila

Prabhupada, simply by your teachings and your instructions. We're

always meditating on your instructions. Srila Prabhupada: Thank you.

That is the real presence. Physical presence is not important.

(Room Conversation, Vrndavana, 6/10/77)

You write that you have desire to avail of my association again, but

why do you forget that you are always in association with me? When

you are helping my missionary activities I am always thinking of you,

and you are always thinking of me . That is real association.

Just like I am always thinking of my Guru Maharaja at every moment,

although he is not physically present, and because I am trying to

serve him to my best capacity, I am sure he is helping me by his

spiritual blessings. So there are two kinds of association: physical

and preceptorial. Physical association is not so important as

preceptorial association. (Letter to Govinda Dasi, 18/8/69)

As far as my blessing is concerned, it does not require my physical

presence. If you are chanting Hare Krsna there, and following my

instructions, reading the books, taking only Krsna prasadam etc., then

there is no question of your not receiving the blessings of

Lord Caitanya, whose mission I am humbly trying to push on. (Letter to

Bala Krsna, 30/6/74)

'Anyone who has developed unflinching faith in the Lord and the

Spiritual Master can understand the revealed scripture unfolding

before him'. So continue your present aptitude and you will be

successful in your spiritual progress. I am sure that even if I am

not physically present before you, still you will be able to execute

all spiritual duties in the matter of Krsna Consciousness, if you

follow the above principles. (Letter to Subala, 29/9/67)

So although a physical body is not present, the vibration should be

accepted as the presence of the Spiritual Master, vibration. What we

have heard from the Spiritual Master, that is living. (General

lectures, 69/01/13)

Devotee: ...so sometimes the Spiritual Master is far away. He may be

in Los Angeles. Somebody is coming to Hamburg Temple. He thinks 'How

will the Spiritual Master be pleased?' Srila Prabhupada: Just follow

his order, Spiritual Master is along with you by his words. Just like

my Spiritual Master is not physically present, but I am associating

with him by his words. (SB Lectures, 71/08/18)

Just like I am working, so my Guru Maharaja is there, Bhaktisiddhanta

Sarasvati. Physically he may not be, but in every

action he is there. To serve master's word is more important than to

serve physically. (Room Conversation, Vrindavan, 2/5/77)

So that is called prakata, physically present. And there is another

phrase, which is called aprakata, not physically present. But that

does not mean, Krsna is dead or God is dead. That does not mean,

prakata or aprakata, physically present or not present, it does not

matter. (Lectures SB 73/12/11)

So, spiritually, there is no question of separation, even physically

we may be in far distant place. (Letter to Syama Dasi, 30/08/68)

I went to your country for spreading this information of Krsna

Consciousness and you are helping me in my mission, although I am

not physically present there but spiritually I am always with you.

(Letter to Nandarani, Krsna Devi and Subala, 3/10/67)

We are not separated actually. There are two - Vani or Vapuh - so Vapu

is physical presence and Vani is presence by the vibration, but

they are all the same. (Letter to Hamsadutta, 22/6/70)

So in the absence of physical presentation of the spiritual master,

the Vaniseva is more important. My Spiritual Master Sarsavati

Goswami, may appear to be physically not present, but still because I

try to serve his instruction, I never feel separated from him.

(Letter to Karandhara, 22/8/70)

I also do not feel separation from my Guru Maharaja. When I am engaged

in his service, his pictures give me sufficient strength. To

serve master's word is more important than to serve him physically.

(Letter to Syamasundara, 19/7/70) :pray:

Are You Serious About Entering Devotional Service?

Srimad Bhagavatam says, in Srila Prabhupada's translation, that "Srila Narada Muni approached Dhruva Maharaja, and touching the boy's head with his all virtuous hand, he spoke as follows."

Guru Is Supersoul's Own Rep

Srila Prabhupada explains: ". . . as soon as He (KRSNA)understands that a living entity is serious about entering devotional service, He (KRSNA) sends His representative (GURU). In this way Narada was sent to Dhruva Maharaja. . . . Krishna, the Supersoul, immedately sent His representative, Narada Muni, to initiate him.":pray:

Most spiritualists who have encountered a 'dark night of the soul' at least once or twice in their lives Krsna prabhu, have knelt in prayer. Those times are saturated in a painful mercy:cool:.

Lord Krsna is deeply touched by these heart prayers it seems. And he answers them often very quickly.

If we are ready and cry for a teacher - he will come!

Oneday maybe others will glimpse such graces in the hearts of those around them. That will be the - happy day!

Oh happy day!

When Guru washed...

Oh how he washed...

he washed some dust away...

I guess if we had epiphany everyday we would not be practical...

Srila Prabhupada explains: ". . . as soon as He (KRSNA)understands that a living entity is serious about entering devotional service, He (KRSNA) sends His representative (GURU). In this way Narada was sent to Dhruva Maharaja. . . . Krishna, the Supersoul, immedately sent His representative, Narada Muni, to initiate him.":pray:

This is very important quote because it really means if we are sincere, honsest, selfless, genuin, helpless and fully dependant on the mercy of God while in that condition, then from within He will send Guru and no-one can cheat us.

'Krsna' how many people has Krishna sent you too. Your service is amazing, thank you. Without your posts, then my posts would be a lot more mundane and angry than what they already are.

Somehow by your selfless mercy, you bring a fallen soul like me back and back again from the brink with the beautiful Krishna Conscious wisdom in your posts,. Actually I am very alone and miserable in this world but your writings give even one like me hope. You carry the real meaning of Lord Caitanya's mercy in your heart. All glorious to your service.

This is very important quote because it really means if we are sincere, honest, selfless, genuine, helpless and fully dependant on the mercy of God while in that condition, then from within He will send Guru and no-one can cheat us.

Yes, nice realization.

Only in such a state of being (sincere, honest, selfless, genuine, helpless and fully dependant on the mercy of God) will one attract the mercy of KRSNA whereupon He will send you His very own rep, the bona-fide spiritual master to deliver you, me and anyone else who is crying for KRSNA's mercy.:pray:

You cannot approach Krishna directly

It is impossible to dedicate our life to Krishna unless we serve the devotee of Krishna. Tat-purusa-nisevaya. You cannot approach Krishna directly. That is not possible. You have to go through His devotee. Therefore Krishna sends His devotee, "Go and deliver them."

Just like Dhruva Maharaja. He did not know how to achieve the favor of Supreme Personality of Godhead, but on account of his eagerness... He wanted to see God. Because he was ksatriya... His mother said that "God can only help you, my dear son. If you want to become king on the throne of your father, better position, then only God can help you. I cannot help you. It is not..."

So he was determined, "I must see God." So he went to the forest but he did not know how to approach God. A boy of five years old only, he has got the determination. So Krishna saw that, "This boy is very determined." Therefore He sent His representative, Narada: "Go and train him. He is very eager."

Therefore Caitanya Mahaprabhu says,

guru-krsna-krpaya paya bhakti-lata-bija [Cc. Madhya 19.151].

You can enter into the devotional service by double mercy. One mercy is Krishna; another mercy is the spiritual master.

Therefore ... one cannot dedicate his life to Krishna, unless he has gotten the mercy of spiritual master. This is the way. You cannot get directly. That is not possible.

Therefore Narottama dasa Thakura said in many of his songs, chadiya vaisnava-seva, nistara payeche keba:

"Without serving Vaisnava, who has got liberation?"

Nobody has.

tandera carana-sevi bhakta-sane vas

janame janame mora ei abhilas

Narottama dasa Thakura says that "I have to serve the gurus, Sanatana Gosvami, Rupa Gosvami, and live in the association of devotees." Tandera carana-sevi bhakta-sane vas.

Narottama dasa Thakura said, janame janame mora, ei abhilas.

Chance of serving the Vaisnava

Our... We are... Ambition should be how to serve Krishna through the disciplic succession, Krishna, and live in the association of devotees. This is the process. So we are opening so many centers all over the world. This is the policy, that people may take chance of associating with devotees and the chance of serving the Vaisnava. Then it will be successful.

Therefore here it is said, bhakti-yoga means not only dedicating life to Krishna but also to serve the Vaisnava, tat-purusa. Tat-purusa means to serve a person who has dedicated his life to Krishna.

Two things: dedication to Krishna and dedication to the devotee of Krishna. So in this way if we advance, then it is very easy to become free from this material contamination.

That is stated. Na tatha hy aghavan rajan puyeta tapa-adibhih [sB 6.1.16]. Tapa-adibhih, it is general process, but it is very, very difficult, especially in this age. So if we simply take this course, that dedicate (our) life to Krishna and dedicate (our) life to Vaisnava, then our life will be successful.:pray:

Thank you very much.

(Srila Prabhupada lecture, Honolulu, May 16, 1976,)

*Click here to listen to Srila Prabhupada's lectures and bhajans.