IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Medicinal Properties of Tulasi

Rate this topic

My fumbling attempts are aimed at emphasizing the need for conciousness of relationship based on Divine Grace, over reliance on often conflicting religious rules from various scriptures. The path of devotion cannot be defined by technical details.

I do not use the pure devotee, he/she hopefully uses me as Srimati Radharani uses everyone and everything to satisfy Sri Krsna. The question as I see it is more one of recognition and thus appreciation for who is doing what with whom...

valaya RR

[This message has been edited by valaya (edited 10-30-2001).]

Originally posted by jndas:

Though these questions are not sincere (and only asked to try to show others as wrong), I will answer them anyway in case anyone else is interested in these points.

I am saddened that my friendly input

has elicited the prejudice that my questions are not sincere.

Or, perhaps, insincerity is a new phenomenon for you

and sometimes you identify it wrongly.

Either way

kindly reconsider your position.

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

talasiga: you might ask your Guru whether every place in the Ganga is a Tirtha or only certain points of CONFLUENCE.

Tirtha means "pure" or "sanctified". Every place the ganga touches becomes a holy tirtha. This is why ganga is known by the name tirtha-pada.

The water from the ganga is itself called by the name "tirtham". And the water which washes the feet of the deity in abhisheka is similarly given this title "tirtham" or "caranamrita".

Those who think tirthas only exist at the places of confluence are seeing only the external geography. They fail to understand the sanctity of the ganga water which is the creator of the tirthas. To them a temple on a high mountain is powerful, whereas one in their village is not; a holy place situated in a far away place (such as Rishikesh)is purifying, whereas the ganga water flowing by a neaby city (such as Calcutta) is not. They try to measure the divinity in material terms but fail, as the divinity is beyond matter.

We are talking about how to respect the pure devotee. Which some seem to have a problem with all over these forums.

Would that be `we` in the royal sense...? `Some` continue to criticize what they don't understand `all over these forums`. One's self-worth cannot be established by demeaning another's! Demonizing someone does not define one as a devotee, in fact quite the opposite. Thus the so-called `respect` they attempt to exhibit in glorification of their guru actually becomes more of a dis-service. Such is the nature of faultfinding, which is why it remains so dangerous for all aspiring devotees.

valaya RR

Originally posted by talasiga:

JRdd: Yes to both--as long as they are used devotionally or--in the case of emergencies--with caution and discernment .....

talasiga:

1. Show me an "emergency" that can only be medically resolved by ocimun sanctum.

2. What emergency requires japamala of tulsi wood?

1. I don't know Latin.

2. The only emergency I can think of for japa mala is diving into the nectar of the Holy Names as much and often and deeply as possible.

That was not a poem. Posted Image

[b}JR:...keeping in the consciousness that tulasi is a pure devotee of the Lord.

talasiga: Tulsi Devi is Grace ever compassionate to fellow devotees. Her self-sacrifice in the Bhakti Marga is not even surpassed by Sita Devi the epitome of self sacrifice. She is ever approachable and certainly not Durga (remote).[/b}

Jahnava Nitai's response is below. I only want to add that however approachable Tulasi may be, however approachable and compassionate the spiritual master may be, that does not warrant taking advantage by approaching them for service. This would be akin to some Christians' asking God to serve them in so many ways.

JRdd: And as to why this is not in the health section, my guess is because the discussion is about a pure devotee of the Lord, and acceptable uses.

talasiga: Your discernment is so delightful ! My wonderings on this issue are now settled. Thank you.

Hmm...You're welcome?

JRdd:We are not talking about rules.

talasiga: Indeed ! Yet I wonder why one poster kept referring to "smritis" without sourcing them.

The gist is about instructing on the proper attitude toward and treatment of Tulasidevi. This process isn't understood by mental speculation. And thank God for all this information!

JRdd: We are talking about how to respect the pure devotee.

Talasiga: I get the sense that even if the scriptures said it was honourable to use Holy Basil when cooking daal, neither you nor Valaya would do this. I note a level of a love beyond respect in both your positions.

What is the point in making such a statement though? It doesn't say, and so we are not incorrect in our feelings.

In turn do you think She loves us more or respects us more ?

I don't know what She thinks.

My own thinking is to keep it simple.

respectfully,

Jayaradhe

talasiga: you might ask your Guru whether every place in the Ganga is a Tirtha

or only certain points of CONFLUENCE.

jndas: Those who think tirthas only exist at the places of confluence are seeing only the external geography. They fail to understand the sanctity of the ganga water which is the creator of the tirthas. To them a temple on a high mountain is powerful, whereas one in their village is not; a holy place situated in a far away place (such as Rishikesh)is purifying, whereas the ganga water flowing by a neaby city (such as Calcutta) is not. They try to measure the divinity in material terms but fail, as the divinity is beyond matter.

talasiga: How foolish of me to suggest that you should ask your Guru about such a simply straightforward response as you have given. Thank you for your honourable response.

However, many years ago when I once stayed at Shree Vitthal Ashram in Hrishikesh I was told that all the water for that ashram was pumped up from the Ganga. I had no qualms

about boiling that water for my daal or for my daily drinking supply.

As you yourself have said, "divinity is beyond matter" so do think that all the ashram residents were boiling the divinity or boiling the matter ?

Originally posted by JRdd:

I only want to add that however approachable Tulasi may be, however approachable and compassionate the spiritual master may be, that does not warrant taking advantage by approaching them for service. This would be akin to some Christians' asking God to serve them in so many ways.

Prabhupad's (AC Bhaktivedanta Swami) Service was to spread the HariNama in the West.

How might he feel if you did not accept it?

First of all I really love this topic and most of the submissions are very enlightening. Although I'm only a neophyte devotee if one at all, I was wondering if some of you more advanced devotees can help me with some questions. That is, if one should prune Tulasi devi regarding dead branches, also regarding how to prune manjaris, I've noticed the Lord accepts manjari garlands, so how does that work with the four leaf principle. Also what if a branch is broken some way by the wind and consequently the leaves wither but are still on the branch? I'm very much into gardening and most plants love pruning to flourish further, what about those branches that have barely any leaves that are struggling, do you let them die or do you try to heal in some way, or prune? And in what way does one pick leaves, does anyone have specific prayers or can they be spontaneous like "Please teach me the art of your devotion to the Lord and His devotees".

Also regarding giving her to others, what responsibility rests on the givers shoulders? Is it recommended to plant her out in the ground, as I noticed in Hawaii they did this and She thrived big time like into groves but then I noticed even devotees insensitively walking past her, brushing up against her, and totally neglecting her presence, as if she were just another mundane plant, also in Vrndavan we find this same neglect, which can be very disturbing.

Another question is what do the experts recommend to feed or fertilize her besides Love and devotion?

Thank you all for your help so far.

A friend of mine told me several years ago that some Christian monks actually tend and grow Tulasi in their gardens and consider it sacred. I don't recall the details, but I remember he said that a woman brought the plant to the west, and that this order of monks considered it sacred. Has anyone else heard this before? I would just like to have confirmation as to what monastic order this is and how they treat the Tulasi plant.

Gauracandra

Swan, if someone isn't able to supply it first, I will get the link to a site on tulasi I found once. Also, there are at least two manuals I think on hte care of tulasi, and it may be Krsna Culture. I'll try to get that info too, tomorrow. If you have time in the meantime, do a keyword search. There is a lot online.

Jayaradhe

As you yourself have said, "divinity is beyond matter" so do think that all the ashram residents were boiling the divinity or boiling the matter?

When one boils the ganga water, Ganga Devi withdraws her presence, and one is left with ordinary water. The same is the case when one spits in the Ganga, washes clothes in the Ganga, brushes teeth in the Ganga, etc. Ganga Devi has the potency to manifest and withdraw her presence within any water according to the respect and worship. Even an ordinary pot of water becomes Ganga by invoking her presence, whereas even water form Rishikesh becomes ordinary water buy misuse.

Having said that, I would invite you to go back and reread what I wrote, because I specifically said that "boiling Ganga" was in reference to trying to purify the water.

Also regarding giving her to others, what responsibility rests on the givers shoulders?

She is a worshipable deity. The responsibility for giving her to someone is the same as for giving the deity of the Lord to someone. Proper worship must be followed, which includes proper care of the physical body of tulasi, otherwise one will receive negative reactions.

There are not as many restrictions for who can worship her as there are for the deity, but the proper conduct must be followed and she must not be neglected. Also, women are not allowed to touch tulasi during their monthly cycle, otherwise the tulasi plant will die. Thus one should inform the recipients, and they should make arrangement that the tulasi plant will be cared for all the time.

Krishna does not accept any offering without the presence of tulasi.

compare with Lord Krishna:

<u>"Whosoever offers to Me with devotion a leaf, a flower, a fruit, or water, that offering of love, of the pure heart I accept."</u>

- Bhagavad Geeta, 9:26

(Radhakrishnan 1948 translation, George Allen & Unwin Ltd ISBN 0 04 891029 5)

The glories of tulasi are mentioned in the Bhagavata Purana.

Lord Krishna can be purchased by worshipping Him with tulasi:

tulasi-dala-matrena

jalasya culukena va

vikrinite svam atmanam

bhaktebhyo bhakta-vatsalah

"Shri Krishna, who is very affectionate toward His devotees, sells Himself to a devotee who offers merely a tulasi leaf and a palmful of water."

Sincere Question:

Where in the Bhagavat Puraan does it say this

and who translated like this ?

Here are some links to information, instructions (including the mantras for picking, etc.), lots of nectar on Tulasi-devi. The last link takes you to where you can get a book.

http://www.harekrsna.com/science/worship/tulasi.htm

http://www.vaisnava.net/tulasi-d.htm

http://www.hknet.org.nz/parishad95.htm

http://www.harekrishnatemple.com/bhakta/tulasipuja.html

http://www.krsna.com/bazaar/books_other.htm

My father,Dr. Melvin, said that the

word, " TULASI" reminded him of Tulsi

das Krishna whom he met at the Hare

Krishna Paradise in Pagsabungan Road,

Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines. This

guy who left the temple became a mem-

ber of the Maranatha philosophy and at

present, according to my father, Dr.

Melvin, earns a living teaching yogic

exercises to those who are interested.

My father, Dr. Melvin, also said that

the Tulasi aroma emanated from the

Krishna-Balarama Temple attracted the

Kumara brothers to enter the Shrine.

And later, became Krishna conscious,

although the Kumara brothers had nothing

to do with worship because they were al-

ready considered liberated. Is this true?

Originally posted by marco:

My father,Dr. Melvin, said that the

word, " TULASI" reminded him of Tulsi

das Krishna whom he met at the Hare

Krishna Paradise in Pagsabungan Road,

Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines. This

guy who left the temple became a mem-

ber of the Maranatha philosophy and at

present, according to my father, Dr.

Melvin, earns a living teaching yogic

exercises to those who are interested.

My father, Dr. Melvin, also said that

the Tulasi aroma emanated from the

Krishna-Balarama Temple attracted the

Kumara brothers to enter the Shrine.

And later, became Krishna conscious,

although the Kumara brothers had nothing

to do with worship because they were al-

ready considered liberated. Is this true?

I`m just asking.

Lots of wonderful and nourishing information. Thankyou ever so much to Jayaradhe and Jnadas. Hopefuly with all this good instruction I can now endeavour to aspire to the service of this beautiful devotee. Srimate Tulasi devi ki jaya and the Audarya devotees devoted to Srimate Tulasi devi ki jaya.

http://www.vaisnava.net/tulasi-d.htm

[

this site wrongly gives genus name as

"Ocuminum"

when it should be "Ocimum"

I am also sorry that I wrote the genus name

wrongly in an earlier post as "ocimun" due to a typo .

I agree generally with Swan

and I think it is very sweet

of JRdd to adminsiter to us by providing

all these wonderful links

in the course of her overall devotional

service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Thank you from the bottom of my garden !

You're welcome!

I have a general question. It was always my understanding that the basil we use in cooking is a totally different (but related) plant from the tulasi plant. . . . But I noticed on the Internet in places (not among those I posted the links to) it talks of tulasi as being basil. I can not believe this.

Stone: It's misunderstanding, nothing more. Because it's classified by botanists as a "basil," materialists see little distinction. I've seen basil plants sold in stores as "Sacred Basil" or "Holy Basil." They're mislabeled, that's all. I have seen Indian members worship basil plants (perhaps puchased at grocery stores) as Tulasi; this past May, some Indian folks brought a pile of basil leaves to a Bhumi-puja for the future San Diego ISKCON center. "We have brought some Tulasi," they said as they handed the plate full of basil leaves to me. I smiled an thanked them, wanting to honor their intention, but since I've served tulasi for 32years, I'd never offer those leaves to my sila as though they were Tulasi.

JRdd: On the other hand, now I am also wondering if the medicinal qualities of tulasi are also in the basil plant?

Stone: I seriously doubt it. There's a "health bar" marketed by one of the "blood-type" diet gurus with "ocimum sanctum" in it (the one for type A blood--and I'd never buy them), not ocimum gratissimum. I recently visited an old friend (whose son was one of my first gurukula students in Honolulu) whose boyfriend is a tea conoisseur. He had a tea whose ingredients incuded ocimum sanctum. (I declined to drink some.) If sweet basil had the same properties as Tulasi, they'd be interchangeable. A very rough analogy may be cannabis; one variety is high in THC, while the other has a negligible amount. I'm sure the plants look very similar, but their properties are different.

Last year I harvested so much basil and tried to grow it this year in my new home, and have this intense love for basil, without remembering its relationship to tulasi, so I am wondering if my often ailing body is craving its medicinal qualitiies.

Jayaradhe

To quote Krsna, "I am the healing herb" So all of these different basils, of which there seems to be many, must have some potency of healing in varying degrees. It just appears that Tulasi seems to be favourite No.1 or most 'sacred basil' Perhaps the others like Greek basil etc. are all in her family and are hybrids of the original Tulasi i.e. expansions of her glories, to be appreciated in different cultures. (speculation)

One thing for sure all of their aroma is very heart-intoxicating. Just reading about Tulasi devi seems to have an unexplainable purifying effect, that makes me somehow feel very fortunate to know of her divine nature.

(Q.)If she is in a plant form is she serving in Santa Rasa at the same time as Vrnda devi serves in personal higher rasa ? Also if Srimati Radharani aspires to her service to gain the favour of Krsna, how can it be she was more devoted than Sri Radha before Radharani, How is such a thing possible? Or is it just one of those inconceivable oneness and difference conceptions? For I have heard that Srimati Radharani attains her wonderful devotion through serving Tulasi in her previous life, which begs the question, what previous life? Or where did she come from if she is Krsnas' eternal consort?

Just puzzled! More queries for the pandits and devotees.

Jayaradhe dearest,

My father, Melvin was

very much interested

in the plant named

Neem Tree. He, in fact,

saved such a tree from

decaying when he trans-

planted it to our home.

Now, this Neem tree is

very tall, about 5-7 X

.5 meters.

Please elaborate more

on this tree because my

father said it is good

as a mosquito repellant.

In fact, the Anophyllis

mosquito that carries

the dreaded Dengue Hem-

morrhagic Fever virus

is driven away by the

burning leaves of this

wonderful tree. WHY? I`m

just asking.

JRdd:I have a general question. It was always my understanding that the basil we use in cooking is a totally different (but related) plant from the tulasi plant. ......... I noticed on the Internet in places (not among those I posted the links to) it talks of tulasi as being basil. I can not believe this.

talasiga: Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) belongs in the Labiatae family and has always been classed botanically belonging in the genus Ocimum along with garden or sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum) which is, interestingly also known as St Josephswort. There is also a bush basil from Chile called Ocimum minimum and many others.

So they are botanically all related as, for example, are all the mints related to each other under Mentha genus also in the Labiatae family. Spearmint, peppermint, pennyroyal are all different species in the Mints. Botanically speaking the difference between peppermint and pennyroyal is analogous to the difference between the basil of St Joseph and the basil of Vrind.

JRdd: On the other hand, now I am also wondering if the medicinal qualities of tulasi are also in the basil plant? Last year I harvested so much basil and tried to grow it this year in my new home, and have this intense love for basil, without remembering its relationship to tulasi, so I am wondering if my often ailing body is craving its medicinal qualitiies.

talasiga: We must not assume that just because two herbs belong to the same genus their medicinal properties are the same. If we we look at peppermint and pennyroyal (two species in the mint genus), whilst they both share similar properties, pennyroyal is much more potent in some areas and attracts more contra-indications and caution with its use.

However with the Ocimums I would say that they all share similar medicinal properties. I would say that tulsi is perhaps more potent in this respect as my experience is that it is used only once or twice in an acute illnes whereas St Josephswort may be used over an extended period. It is also my experience those who do use herbs will use other basils if available before resorting to tulsi.

Yes, you would be able to obtain the known usages for basil from any one of the extant herb books so there is no need for me to list here. However, I have seen a rare reference that it "has been used for diseases of the kidney" (Potter's New Cyclopaedia of Botanical Drugs and Preparations ISBN 0 85207 197 3). I find this interesting as fear and paranoia etc are often associated with kidney problems in Eastern Medicine. This would include fearful dreams, fear of ghosts and so on.

If I were going to use sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum) for medicinal purposes I would prefer the cold extract method of preparation (herbs and flowers in water in a warm place for 8 - 12 hours) rather than an infusion with boiling water. This is a more potent way to use the herb as the delicate volatile, scent bearing oils that are at the heart of its healing properties are wholly preserved by this method.

I hope you will find this laboriously unpoetic response useful and enjoyable.

Now I have three favours to ask:

1. What is the name of the Gopi who is most expert in herbal lore?

2. When Lakshman Ji had an emergency illness (potentially fatal wound from Ravana's arrow ) why did He not accept some Tulsi instead of requiring some fruit that resulted in poor HanumanJi having to bring Him a mountain ?

3. What is the name of the Gopi who is most expert in argument ?

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

(edited to correct question 2 so that

it refers to Lakshman Ji and not Lord Rama.

My sincerest apologies to Valmiki and Tulsi Das)

[This message has been edited by talasiga (edited 11-04-2001).]

You're welcome!

I have a general question. It was always my understanding that the basil we use in cooking is a totally different (but related) plant from the tulasi plant. I remember that sometimes in devotees would think they were given a tulasi by some member or guest or something, and then someone would find that it was basil actually. But I noticed on the Internet in places (not among those I posted the links to) it talks of tulasi as being basil. I can not believe this.

On the other hand, now I am also wondering if the medicinal qualities of tulasi are also in the basil plant? Last year I harvested so much basil and tried to grow it this year in my new home, and have this intense love for basil, without remembering its relationship to tulasi, so I am wondering if my often ailing body is craving its medicinal qualitiies.

Jayaradhe

(Q.)If she is in a plant form is she serving in Santa Rasa at the same time as Vrnda devi serves in personal higher rasa ?

In Vrindavana everyone serves the Lord in Madhurya rasa.

Even as a plant she is partaking in the rasa-lila, as the gopis are offering her to the feet of the Lord.