IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Medicinal Properties of Tulasi

Rate this topic

I came across an article about the Tulasi plant on the Internet which I'll post below. But it reminded me of a story Madhudvisa Prabhu told a few years back. I'll just tell the story real quick.

Basically one devotees made some really fantastic cake in India. He was in one city (don't recall) but some travelling devotees decided to bring some of this cake back to Mayapur (I believe). The trip took some time, and with the hot, humid weather in India, the cake went bad. But no one knew this.

So when the cake finally arrived all of the senior most devotees took the cake for themselves. They ate it all. Then one by one they started collapsing and vomiting everywhere. All of them were completely sick. But for some reason Madhudvisa couldn't vomit the poison out.

After a while he literally went blind and couldn't see. They asked Srila Prabhupada what to do and he said to make a tea out of some Tulasi leaves and to give this to Madhudvisa. He drank the tea down, and his food poisoning disappeared and his sight recovered almost immediately.

Gauracandra

Bacil or Tulasi is the famous holy and medicinal plant of Orissa. Tulasi leaves and clusters are the medium of worship of numerous Hindu gods and specially used in prayer offerings of Jagannath, Balabhadra, Subhadra, and Lord Sudarshan, the combination being known as Purushottama. Lord Vishnu and Purushottama its incarnation as per the Gitagovinda verses of Dasa-avatara, are embellished by these leaves on their heads and in the garlands of clusters around their neck thus giving an unparalleled respectable position to this plant. Because of this divine association and devotee's pious inclination towards this plant it has also been called as Vishnupriya. In all Hindu temples, Tulasi leaves are used as a predominant ingredient for the worship, be it Vishnu, Narayan, Krishna, Nrusingha or other incarnations. The devotees who visit these temples take Tulasi leaves removed from the heads and necks of these deities with devotion.

Tulasi being very useful for the common masses (Brunda) from birth till death is also referred to as "Brundaa or Brundabati". According to mythological sources, Tulasi was the wife of Jalandhara and Lord Vishnu forcibly took her away killing Jalandhara. The allegorical significance of this episode is also very interesting. Jalandhara means the low swampy land where the water is accumulated without being flown away to any side. As the Brunda or Brundabati cannot grow in this environmentally choked water-body and its healthy growth is essentially required for protection of the Masses (Brunda), Lord Vishnu lifted the plant to higher level by filling earth on the low land and destroying its swampness. Not only that he raises her position to greater heights by putting on the Tulasi leaves on His own head. The instruction of God conveyed to the masses is the need to raise the position of Tulasi plant to their own height planting her in vessels and keeping the same on an elevated construction. This elevated construction was called as "Chaura". In some places the devotees constructed the Brunda's idol equal to man's height and plant the Tulasi on the head of the idol, pouring fresh water on it while reciting enchanting hymns as a ritualistic practice.

The scientific reason behind the elevation of this plant equal to man's height in each house was to obtain the smell of the air carrying its fragrance as well as the medicinal and purifying effect of Tulasi for breathing while entering the house. As per the ancient scriptures the smell of Tulasi purifies the air and destroys disease bearing germs and bacteria.

The Shashtra's have also recommended placing the plant on the top of each temple as it neutralizes the electric power of the thunderbolt, thus preventing any damage to the sacred structure. There are prevailing customs since time immemorial to carry a Tulasi plant with the procession of a dead body to the funeral ground. This is done to protect the persons accompanying the dead body from any sort of infection.

The earth round the Tulasi Plant, encircling about two square feet of the root becomes enriched with the property of the plant and by massaging the body with such mud many vital elements are taken internally, thereby naturally curing many incurable diseases. Using the beads of the Tulasi stem or keeping a little piece of the stem in contact with the body can protect one from any communicable diseases at any time. Inhalation of air bearing Tulasi smell cures malaria, as malaria parasites cannot survive this smell.

One of the numerous names of Tulasi is also "Bhutangnee" which means destroyer of spirit (ghost) as it cures insanity, madness, epileptic-fits, attack of tetanus, cramps of muscles, dancing of eye balls, brain troubles, severe headache and accumulation of blood in the head. It is very useful in curing hysteria in ladies, unnatural menstrual cycles and lochia after childbirth.

Tulasi is also very useful in cold, cough, cataract, Bronchitis, influenza, asthma, pleurisy, pneumonia, throat pain, tonsillitis, dental troubles including dental carries, pyorrhea, toothache, Gastritis, acidity, and blood poisoning.

In several eye troubles, accumulation of blood in eyes with redness, lancination (discharging of water from eyes), adhesive mucus closing the eye lids, fear of strong light and loss of eye sight it is very useful. Similarly in burning of ear and loss of hearing it cures and prevents right emission and increases receptivity. Constant use of Tulasi leaves also brightens the body color.

If you have not thought of adding a Tulasi plant to your terrace garden give it a thought now. It's a reliable leafy friend who leaves you glowing now and always. Spare the doctor! Let him enjoy his sleep!

Is it okay to use Tulasi so functionally? I mean like the example of placing Her on the roof against thunderbolts, and the other uses mentioned? At Berkeley whenever someone is ailing I notice they take the devotee a jug of tulasi water, which is always kept in the pujari room. But this is from leaves which have been offered to the deities. Would the leaves be offered to the deities before making teas, etc?

I have a wonderful stash of dried leaves, which were kindly given me by the temple to offer my Deity. I have been making them last until the next time I go, at which time I intend to take back a tulasi plant or two for His pleasure. Would it be kosher to calculatingly offer extra leaves to the Deity with the purpose of then making a tea out of them? The reason I ask, and have difficulty with this, is because I have always thought of Tulasi in a devotional way, and not so functionally.

thanks, JR

I, too, share JRdd's misgivings. The neem plant, on the other hand, has wide-ranging medicinal benefits and it is spiritual, too, due to Lord Caitanya's having taken birth under a neem tree.

To keep Srimati Tulasi devi for anything other than worship and offering to Krsna seems rather calculating to me. Although I know that many Hindus have her in their homes solely for the blessing she provides through her association, I'm not comfortable with using a living pure devotee of the Lord in that way. Guess my japa beads will have to do for me... HARIBOL!

valaya RR

[This message has been edited by valaya (edited 10-28-2001).]

Dearmost Friends,

The cow is holy yet many will milk her.

The Guru is much loved yet many will be taught by Him or Her

The sun is Surya Narayan Himself -will you not be warmed by Him ?

The symbiotic relationship is no bar to mutual love.

If you are unable to pick Her leaves, why not

accept those already fallen on the ground ?

(This is not a poem)

Kind Regards

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

Devotees of Krishna should not use Tulasi for medicinal purposes, unless it is an extreme emergency. Even the prasadam tulasi leaves should not be boiled.

If I remember properly Srila Prabhupada told his disciples in Berkeley not to make tulasi tea even for Lord Jagannatha, when he is 'sick' after the snana-yatra.

[This is from memory, and I may be wrong about it.]

But for devotees, the tulasi should be taken as it was offered to the Lord. It should not be ground, boiled, etc. In the same way, ganga water should not be boiled or filtered (except through a cloth to remove fish, insects or debris).

The Ayurveda, dealing from a practical point of view, explains the medicinal properties of Tulasi. This is because it is only seeing the material ingredients involved, and not the spiritual divinity of tulasi devi.

[This message has been edited by jndas (edited 10-29-2001).]

Gauracandra: But for some reason Madhudvisa couldn't vomit the poison out.

After a while he literally went blind and couldn't see. They asked Srila Prabhupada what to do and <u>he said to make a tea out of some Tulasi leaves </u> and to give this to Madhudvisa. He drank the tea down, and his food poisoning disappeared and his sight recovered almost immediately. [underlining by Talasiga]

jndas: But for devotees, the tulasi should be taken as it was offered to the Lord. It should not be ground, boiled, etc. In the same way, ganga water should not be boiled or filtered (except through a cloth to remove fish, insects or debris).

talasiga:

1. How would Prabhupad make tulsi tea without boiling it ?

2. It is OK to dump your sins in it and wash clothes in it, but you cannot use Ganga water to make daal ?

Devotees of Krishna should not use Tulasi for medicinal purposes, unless it is an extreme emergency.

Please read my poem above. Its a haikoo. And it answers your questions.

Regarding the boiling of ganga water, it is in reference to trying to purify the water of material contaminations. Please refer the SMRITHEES for further clarification.

Further, one cannot wash one's clothes in Ganga water, nor brush one's teeth in it (in the general sense). There are procedures for purifying one's cloth while bathing in the ganga, but it is another topic.

Tirthas are not to be used for mundane things.

jndas: Please read my poem above. Its a haikoo. And it answers your questions.

talasiga: I can see no poem.

Madhudvisha's illness was obviously liver toxicity and the "blindness" a transient symptom. Perhaps a medical practitioner, such as Satyaraj, may be able to explain this to you.

jndas: Regarding the boiling of ganga water, it is in reference to trying to purify the water of material contaminations.

talasiga: So why did you introduce this in parallel to the discussion on tulsi ?

Are you suggesting that tulsi should not be boiled to purify it but may be boiled for other reasons like when Prabhupad wishes to make it into tea

cf

ganga water should not be boiled to purify the water of material contaminations but may be boiled to cook daal.

jndas: Further, one cannot wash one's clothes in Ganga water, nor brush one's teeth in it (in the general sense). There are procedures for purifying one's cloth while bathing in the ganga, but it is another topic. Tirthas are not to be used for mundane things.

talasiga: you might ask your Guru whether every place in the Ganga is a Tirtha

or only certain points of CONFLUENCE.

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by talasiga (edited 10-29-2001).]

Thank you for your points, Jahnava Nitai, which are well understood by me and align with how I have understood it from Srila Prabhupada.

As I said in Berkeley they drink tulasi water, which is plain water with offered tulasi leaves in it, and I can verify your statement about no tea even for Jagannath from Krtakarma prabhu, who I believe would know if anyone would.

Jayaradhe

Originally posted by talasiga

4th posting in this mala:

<u>If you are unable to pick Her leaves, why not

accept those already fallen on the ground ?</u>.

BTW, how do these "smritis" provide for the use of tulsi wood for making japamala ?

Originally posted by atma:

Many ayurvedic medicines have tulasi as one of the ingredients and as far as I know most of the devotees avoid them. The devotees take tulasi that comes along with charanamrita and the maha water and get all the spiritual and material benefit every day.

Just as Srila Prabhupada said, when Krsna is there, Laxmi is there. I was at a lecture in L.A. once, 1974 I think, when he said that all of our needs, both spiritual and material, are satisfied when we serve Krsna.

About Talasiga's question about the japa mala, well first of all they use the wood after Tulasi has left the body, and secondly the japa mala is use for worshiping the holy names. Is this the correct answer, Jahnava Nitai?

Jayaradhe

(edited to remove the rest of Atma's quote)

[This message has been edited by JRdd (edited 10-29-2001).]

I have some experience with Tulasi, since I grew the first Tulasi plants in ISKCON (perhaps in the west--Govinda dasi planted the first Tulasis around Gaura-purnima of 1970, but I cared for them--some of which exceeded 7 /12 feet within two years--until I left for South America in 1973). In '73, some devotees in Honolulu were making Tualsi tea for medicinal purposes (we had so much Tulasi!). When Srila Prabhupada heard about it, he ordered that they stop immediately. He said that Tualsi was not to be heated. He would make sun tea by putting manjaris in a jar of water and letting it sit for a while, sometimes in the sun.

Babhru das

This is a really great discussion going on. I also agree we shouldn't use Tulasi devi in such a 'functional' manner (to use Jaya Radhey's word). When I read the article it immediately click in with the story of Madhudvisa Prabhu.

It was really amazing the medicinal power of the Tulasi plant. Now reading Atma's postings it is even more apparent about the healing potency of Tulasi. But we should definitely not abuse this.

Anyone else with other Tulasi stories? Babhru? Atma? Either medically related, or just in general. That story Atma tells of the person who used pesticides on Tulasi is scary....

Gauracandra

I also just want to point out that the story of the tea is from memory. I do not recall Madhudvisa saying there was boiled water etc.... but I think in an emergency to save the life of a devotee, that would be acceptable. But such circumstances would certainly be rare.

Gauracandra

[This message has been edited by Gauracandra (edited 10-29-2001).]

JRdd: About Talasiga's question about the japa mala, well first of all they use the wood after Tulasi has left the body

talasiga: So it is alright to use the wood from a dead tulsi (viz. "after Tulasi has left the body") but not to use the leaves that have fallen ?

stonehearted: [Prabhupada] said that Tualsi was not to be heated. He would make sun tea by putting manjaris in a jar of water and letting it sit for a while, sometimes in the sun.

talasiga: Aha ! Brilliant ! So this is the way he would <u>use</u> it !

The pure devote considers himself the most fallen and a worm in stool because he is fully aware of his constant offensive state while in possession of a physical body in the material world.

Anyone who considers themselves a vaisnava devotee due to offenceless following of some sadhana is actually neither. We were, are and always will be absolutely dependent on God's Loving Grace in every aspect of our lives, spiritual and material. Our path is not action, but consciousness!

Realizing this is the beginning of devotion. Discussing scriptural injunctions and arguing over what should or should not be done by ourselves or others takes us ever further from real bhakti. In my humble opinion, the only things truly worthy of `Spiritual Discussion`, as opposed to `Religious Discussion`, are Divine Grace and our personal surrender to Her.

valaya RR

[This message has been edited by valaya (edited 10-29-2001).]

Originally posted by valaya:

In my humble opinion, the only things truly worthy of `Spiritual Discussion`, as opposed to `Religious Discussion`, are Divine Grace and our personal surrender to Her.

Yes I was wondering myself

why this thread entitled

<u>Medicinal Properties of Tulasi </u>

was not placed in the

Health and Wellbeing Forum.

During my first winter in India I got sick and the doctors didn't know what it was. They said malaria but it wasn't because they were no mosquitoes around at the time. For a week I was with high fever, chills and completely down. A brahmin from South India showed up in my house and he told my husband to give me crushed tulasi with honey. Nobody wanted to crush tulasi, finally a friend did it after he said LOUD MANY times that he won't pay the reaction for crushing tulasi ( he passed the karma to my ex). They gave me one spoonful and all the fever and sickness was gone within few hours.

It was very clear for most of us that was wrong to take tulasi as medicine but we did it as emergency and they used maha prasada.

Many ayurvedic medicines have tulasi as one of the ingredients and as far as I know most of the devotees avoid them. The devotees take tulasi that comes along with charanamrita and the maha water and get all the spiritual and material benefit every day.

Interestingly, last night my Russian neighbour came to my door asking me if I can take care of his tulasi plants because he is leaving for Vrindavan for Kartika. Blessings coming to our house! I hope that I can take nice care of her.

Years ago, a brahmacari saw that some insects were eating tulasi devi and he sprayed it with some poison without asking anybody. next morning to our shock all the tulasi plants were dead. Within few days the same brahmachari was struck with a disease that left him completely paralyzed and mentally ill. He couldn't even remember the Gayatri mantra anymore. All the devotees helped him and slowly he recovered and he took it as a reaction to his offenses, especially against Tulasi Devi.

[This message has been edited by atma (edited 10-29-2001).]

Originally posted by talasiga:

So it is alright to use the wood from a dead tulsi (viz. "after Tulasi has left the body") but not to use the leaves that have fallen ?

Yes to both--as long as they are used devotionally or--in the case of emergencies--with caution and discernment, keeping in the consciousness that tulasi is a pure devotee of the Lord.

And as to why this is not in the health section, my guess is because the discussion is about a pure devotee of the Lord, and acceptable uses. The discussion is certainly worthwhile. Consider that to intensively discuss the pros and cons of meat-eating would be of no import to a devout vegetarian, but might be an issue with staunch flesh eaters or aspirants vegetarians. Similarly, to those of us who are fledging bhakti-creeper farmers, this discussion of tulasi devi is most pertinent. We are not talking about rules. We are talking about how to respect the pure devotee. Which some seem to have a problem with all over these forums.

(edited to fix html)

[This message has been edited by JRdd (edited 10-30-2001).]

Though these questions are not sincere (and only asked to try to show others as wrong), I will answer them anyway in case anyone else is interested in these points.

BTW, how do these "smritis" provide for the use of tulsi wood for making japamala?

The smritis do not prohibit the use of Tulasi in the service of the Lord. Actually, they instruct us to do this. It is described that the benefits of offering the champaka flower to the Lord is one thousand times greater than offering other flowers; the benefit of offering a lotus to the Lord is one thousand times greater than offering a champaka; the benefit of offering a white lotus (considered the top most flower) to the Lord is one thousand times greater than offering a common lotus; and the benefits of offering Tulasi to the Lord is one thousand times greater than offering a white lotus to the Lord. Thus offering tulasi to the Lord is the greatest benefit for the devotee.

Those who follow the shastras prepare tulasi japa malas as on offering to the Lord. The smritis such as hari-bhakti-vilasa provide detailed instructions on the procedures for offering the tulasi mala at the feet of the deity (Krishna) and performing worship to it with upacharas. Afterwards the mala is taken by the devotee as prasadam and further used in the service of the Lord for mantra-japam.

If you are unable to pick Her leaves, why not accept those already fallen on the ground?.

One may use the leaves of tulasi in the service of the Lord either by picking them from the plant or by picking the fallen one's them from the ground. In either case it should only be for the direct service of the Lord, and not for our functional use. In order to pick leaves from tulasi, the smritis instruct us in the procedure we must follow, which includes first worshipping the plant, and chanting specific mantras to her.

The shastras state that tulasi leaves are the only leaf or flower which may be offered in worship without considering the "freshness" of the offering. No matter how old or dry the tulasi leaf is, it is fit for puja. This is not the case for ordinary plants and flowers.

Krishna does not accept any offering without the presence of tulasi.

The glories of tulasi are mentioned in the Bhagavata Purana.

By carrying the tulasi leaves offered to the Lord's feet, the Ganga becomes sanctified and purifies the three worlds:

ya vai lasac-chri-tulasi-vimisra-

krishnanghri-renv-abhyadhikambu-netri

punati lokan ubhayatra seshan

kas tam na seveta marishyamanah

"The Ganga (Ganges River) carries the most auspicious water, which is mixed with the dust of the lotus feet of the Lord and tulasi leaves. Therefore that water sanctifies the three worlds inside and outside and even sanctifies Lord Shiva and other demigods. Consequently everyone who is destined to die must take shelter of this river."

One who has not smelled the aroma of tulasi leaves offered to the Lord is no better than a dead body:

jivan chavo bhagavatanghri-renum

na jatu martyo 'bhilabheta yas tu

shri-vishnu-padya manujas tulasyah

svasan chavo yas tu na veda gandham

"The person who has not at any time received the dust of the feet of the Lord's pure devotee upon his head is certainly a dead body. And the person who has never experienced the aroma of the tulasi leaves from the lotus feet of the Lord is also a dead body, although breathing."

Tulasi is the topmost among plants, and most dear to the Lord even in the spiritual realm:

mandara-kunda-kurabotpala-campakarna-

punnaga-naga-bakulambuja-parijatah

gandhe 'rcite tulasikabharanena tasya

yasmims tapah sumanaso bahu manayanti

"Although flowering plants like the mandara, kunda, kurabaka, utpala, campaka, arna, punnaga, nagakesara, bakula, lily and parijata are full of transcendental fragrance, they are still conscious of the austerities performed by tulasi, for tulasi is given special preference by the Lord, who garlands Himself with tulasi leaves."

Lakshmi devi's service to the Lord is offering tulasi leaves at His lotus feet:

vapishu vidruma-tatasv amalamritapsu

preshyanvita nija-vane tulasibhir isham

abhyarcati svalakam unnasam ikshya vaktram

uccheshitam bhagavatety amatanga yac-chrih

"The goddesses of fortune worship the Lord in their own gardens by offering tulasi leaves on the coral-paved banks of transcendental reservoirs of water."

Lord Krishna can be purchased by worshipping Him with tulasi:

tulasi-dala-matrena

jalasya culukena va

vikrinite svam atmanam

bhaktebhyo bhakta-vatsalah

"Shri Krishna, who is very affectionate toward His devotees, sells Himself to a devotee who offers merely a tulasi leaf and a palmful of water."

[This message has been edited by jndas (edited 10-30-2001).]

JRdd:

Yes to both--as long as they are used devotionally or--in the case of emergencies--with caution and discernment .....

talasiga:

1. Show me an "emergency" that can only be medically resolved by ocimun sanctum.

2. What emergency requires japamala of tulsi wood ?

JRdd:

......keeping in the consciousness that tulasi is a pure devotee of the Lord.

talasiga: Tulsi Devi is Grace ever compassionate to fellow devotees. Her self-sacrifice in the Bhakti Marga is not even surpassed by Sita Devi the epitome of self sacrifice. She is ever approachable and certainly not Durga (remote).

JRdd: And as to why this is not in the health section, my guess is because the discussion is about a pure devotee of the Lord, and acceptable uses.

talasiga: Your discernment is so delightful ! My wonderings on this issue are now settled. Thank you.

JRdd: We are not talking about rules.

talasiga: Indeed ! Yet I wonder why one poster kept referring to "smritis" without sourcing them.

JRdd: We are talking about how to respect the pure devotee.

talasiga: I get the sense that even if the scriptures said it was honourable to use Holy Basil when cooking daal, neither you nor Valaya would do this. I note a level of a love beyond respect in both your positions.

In turn do you think She loves us more or respects us more ?

Will you deny Her Service by refusing Her Healing ?

[This message has been edited by talasiga (edited 10-30-2001).]