IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
jijaji

For Valaya

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Mahendranath:

"May I know if one can realize God while performing one's duties?

Ramakrishna:

"All, without exception, perform work. Even to chant God's name and glories is work, as is the meditation of the Non-dualist on "I am He." Breathing is also an activity. There is no way of renouncing work altogether. So do your work but surrender the result to God.

"Let me tell you the truth: there is nothing wrong in your being in the world. But you must direct your mind toward God; otherwise you will not succeed. Do your duty with one hand and with the other hold to God. After the duty is over, you will hold to God with both hands.

"A devotee who can call on God while living a householder's life is a hero indeed. God thinks: "He who has renounced the world for My sake will surely pray to Me; he must serve

Me. Is there anything very remarkable about it? People will cry shame on him if he fails to do so. But he is blessed indeed who prays to Me in the midst of his worldly duties. He is trying to find Me, overcoming a great obstacle -- pushing away, as it were, a huge block of stone weighing a ton. Such a man is a real hero.

"If a householder gives in charity in a spirit of detachment, he is really doing good to himself and not to others. It is God alone that he serves -- God, who dwells in all beings... If a man thus serves God through all beings..., if he doesn't seek name and fame, or heaven after death; if he doesn't seek any return from those he serves; if he can carry on his work of service in this spirit -- then he performs truly selfless work, work without attachment. Through such selfless work he does good to himself. This is called karmayoga. This too is a way to realize God."

Mahendranath:

"How ought we to live in the world?

Ramakrishna:

"Do all your duties, but keep your mind on God. Live with all -- with wife and children,

father and mother -- and serve them. Treat them as if they were very dear to you, but know in your heart of hearts that they do not belong to you.

"A maidservant in the house of a rich man performs all the household duties, but her thoughts are fixed on her own home in her native village. She brings up her master's children as if they were her own. She even speaks of them as "my Rama" or "my Hari." But in her own mind she knows very well that they do not belong to her at all.

"The tortoise moves about in the water. But can you guess where her thoughts are? There on the bank, where her eggs are lying. Do all your duties in the world, but keep your mind on God.

"Through selfless work, love of God grows in the heart. Then, through His grace, one realizes Him in course of time. God can be seen. One can talk to Him as I am talking to

you."

Originally posted by Satyaraja dasa:

Ramakrishna:

"I see people who talk about religion constantly quarrelling with one another. Hindus, Mussalmans, Brahmos, Shaktas, Vaishnavas, Shaivas, all quarrel with one another. They haven't the intelligence to understand that He who is called Krishna is also Shiva and the Primal Shakti, and that it is He, again, who is called Jesus and Allah. "There is only one Rama and He has a thousand names." Truth is one; It is only called by different names. All people are seeking the same Truth; the disagreement is due to differences in climate, temperament, and names. Everyone is going toward God. They will all realize Him if they have sincerity and longing of heart.

"God has made different religions and creeds to suit different aspirants.

"If there are errors in other religions, that is none of our business. God, to whom the world belongs, takes care of that."

>This pretty much wraps up Ramakrishna's teachings in a nutshell.

Remember Ramakrishna was as he said.."unlettered" without a "Bread-winning education". At the same time he held the intellectual giants and pandits of Calcutta in awe, with his simplistic approach and lovingness towards ALL.

Posted Image

------------------

PEACE OUT NOW

Remember Ramakrishna was as he said.."unlettered" without a "Bread-winning education". At the same time he held the intellectual giants and pandits of Calcutta in awe, with his simplistic approach and lovingness towards ALL.

The same with Ramana. No miracles and no preaching ! He hardly spoke, and whenever he spoke, his speech consisted of terse, monosyllables. He never moved from the hill all his life and yet he is recognized worldwide as a spiritual giant.

Cheers

Guest guest

Ramakrishna:

" It will be very good if you can practice unselfish love for God. A man who has such love says: "O Lord, I do not seek salvation, fame, wealth, or cure of disease. None of these do I seek. I want only Thee." Many are the people who come to a rich man with various desires. But if someone comes to him simply out of love, not wanting any favour, then the rich man feels attracted to him.

"Those who cannot give up attachment to worldly things and who find no means to shake off the feeling of I, should rather cherish the idea, "I am God's servant; I am His devotee." One can also realize God by following the path of devotion.

" The way of love is as good as the way of knowledge... But as long as God keeps the feeling of ego in us, it is easier to follow the path of love.

"Through love one acquires renunciation and discrimination naturally. "

Guest guest

Jijaji: Remember Ramakrishna was as he said.."unlettered" without a "Bread-winning education". At the same time he held the intellectual giants and pandits of Calcutta in awe, with his simplistic approach and lovingness towards ALL.

Shvuji: The same with Ramana. No miracles and no preaching ! He hardly spoke, and whenever he spoke, his speech consisted of terse, monosyllables. He never moved from the hill all his life and yet he is recognized worldwide as a spiritual giant.

Ramakrishna:

" Great sages have childlike natures. Before God they are always like children. They have no pride. Their strength is the strength of God, the strength of their Father. They have nothing to call their own. They are firmly convinced of that.

"Don't find fault with anyone, not even with an insect. As you pray to God for devotion, so also pray that you may not find fault with anyone."

On another occasion M. advised: 'One should see everything connected with the Master in detail. For example, in the Master's room there are cots, a jar containing Ganga water, pictures of gods and goddesses - Kali, Krishna, Rama, Chaitanya and his kirtan party, Dhruva, Prahlad, Christ extending his hand to the drowning Peter, and a white marble image of Buddha, which was given to him by Queen Katyayani, the wife of Lalababu. There was a picture of the goddess of learning on the western wall. Whenever a new person would come, the Master would look at the picture and pray, "Mother, I am an unlettered person. Please sit on my tongue", and then he would speak to him. If a person can imprint these divine sights on his mind, he will have deep meditations, and even sitting at home he can live at Dakshineswar with the Master'.

from 'The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna'

Posted Image

------------------

PEACE OUT NOW

Sri Sri Ramakrishna Kathamritam

CHAPTER 12

THE FESTIVAL AT PANIHATI

Saturday, July 21, 1883.

Dogmatism condemned

Khelat Ghosh's house was a big mansion, but it looked deserted. As the Master entered the house he fell into an ecstatic mood. M., Ramlal, and a few other devotees were with him. Their host was Khelat Ghosh's brother-in-law. He was an old man, a Vaishnava. His body was stamped with the name of God, according to the Vaishnava custom, and he carried in his hand a small bag containing his rosary. He had visited the Master, now and then, at Dakshineswar. But most of the Vaishnavas held narrow religious views; they criticized the Vedantists and the followers of the Siva cult. Sri Ramakrishna soon began to speak.

MASTER: "It is not good to feel that one's own religion alone is true and all others are false. God is one only, and not two. Different people call on Him by different names: some as Allah, some as God, and others as Krishna, Siva, and Brahman. It is like the water in a lake. Some drink it at one place and call it 'jal', others at another place and call it 'pani', and still others at a third place and call it 'water'. The Hindus call it 'jal', the Christians 'water', and the Mussulmans 'pani'. But it is one and the same thing. Opinions are but paths. Each religion is only a path leading to God, as rivers come from different directions and ultimately become one in the one ocean.

"The Truth established in the Vedas, the Puranas, and the Tantras is but one Satchidananda. In the Vedas It is called Brahman, in the Puranas It is called Krishna, Rama, and so on, and in the Tantras It is called Siva. The one Satchidananda is called Brahman, Krishna, and Siva."

The devotees were silent.

Posted Image

------------------

PEACE OUT NOW

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 08-23-2001).]

Originally posted by shvu:

The same with Ramana. No miracles and no preaching ! He hardly spoke, and whenever he spoke, his speech consisted of terse, monosyllables. He never moved from the hill all his life and yet he is recognized worldwide as a spiritual giant.

Cheers

Shvu, are you speaking of Sri Ramana Maharshi and didn't he use to say that there is only ONE question we should ask ourselves, "Who am I?" I took this as a personal mantra for some time, even facing myself in the mirror while on LSD. Some interesting answers, for sure, but I believe Srila Prabhupada saved me from much confusion by showing me the highest truth, which contains all others, in the form of Lord Caitanya (as Krsna in the mood of Srimati Radharani) and acintya-bheda-bheda.

In spite of attempting so hard to escape all that entails, I could not since all my life experiences after that `realization` simply continue to assimilate into that same philosophy centered in the relationship between Radha and Krsna, both personal and impersonal.

What initially attracted me was the first book I read from Srila AC Bhaktivedanta Swami, entitled "Nectar of Devotion". I heard of the `mood of the gopis` and became completely entranced! Unfortunately my involvement with ISKCON devotees inside and outside the temples was never particularly fruitful and I quickly became disillusioned by deceptive sankirtan practices, the attitude towards women, etc. etc.

Besides, I was so attached to sex and psychedelic drugs that I could not honestly accept initiation nor remain in the temple for more than a few months at a time. My `falldowns` all occured alone however, on the outside.

Another thing that I found impossible was focusing my love on Krsna, while it seemed my heart belonged to Radhika and always had. I knew nothing of Radha-dasi manjaris with their exclusive attachment to Her...

Then some uninsured drunk driver knocked me off my motorcycle in the middle of the night, smashing one of the vertebrae in my back. That made everything much worse with pain pills and cocaine added to the mix. Not to mention an abrupt worsening of my attitude towards Krsna, whom I blamed for the `special mercy`...

From out of the blue, without any reason I can see or motivation on my part, I ended up involved in a Rathayatra after several years completely apart from the devotees, chanting, or any other voluntary connection with Krsna (though I still couldn't shake Him internally).

I found myself in the Toronto temple kitchen under the close, careful supervision of Apureva das who impressed me immensely with his ability to handle so many things at the same time, including his family, while maintaining perfect peacefulness emotionally. Previously I had admired sanyasis the most, but now I saw `householders` in an entirely different light. It was like finding calm in the eye of a hurricane and I attached myself to him personally like a life-preserver, serving and helping in any way I could to the point of exhaustion. For a few days we just cooked and cooked, with me napping beside tulasi devi's house upstairs when necessary.

Of course, the time came for him to leave and I didn't know what to do since my initial blissful taste for devotional service had been reawakened, after 20 years, and I just couldn't go back to my empty sordid life of drugs, sex, and now alcohol. So I went in front of the dieties with my japa beads anad paced back and forth between them all, praying and crying that even suicide would be better than returning to my old habits, yet there was no way I could just move into the temple or even associate there, for so many reasons...

I was keenly aware of all the intentional offenses I'd committed in my crazy desperate attempts to break free from what had so firm a hold on me, especially the ones directed against Srila Prabhupada. Some how in my heart I knew that only Srimati Radharani could give me shelter and forgive the unforgiveable, so I ended up just standing in front of Her diety form, crying and chanting and praying all at the same time. It was impossible for me to leave for there was no place to go but death, so I stayed for hours and hours with arotikes going on around me and the diety doors opening and closing while I lost track of time. Fortunately I was well-known to Bhakti-marg Swami and other older devotees, so they left me alone.

Then an amazing thing happened eye to eye with Sri Radha that ended all my nasty habits in a flash, started me chanting hundreds of rounds a day, and transformed my whole perspective on Krsna conciousness. Shortly afterwards, many books came my way, including Nectar Books (translated by Dasaratha-suta das), which are exactly that and more. What I read seemed to confirm what I'd felt all along in my heart of hearts, about the absolute truth and the supreme position of Swamini Kisori.

Perhaps I'll be able to share more later, prabhus, depending on your response. All was revealed previously on VNN forums as well as Dharma-mela and I'm afraid it was not appropriate. I would feel much better if others shared their personal `mystical` experiences here.

Peter/valaya

------------------

amanpeter@hotmail.com

Shvu, are you speaking of Sri Ramana Maharshi and didn't he use to say that there is only ONE question we should ask ourselves, "Who am I?"

He said that only when people went to him and asked him questions. He told them to find out who was asking all the questions and then the questions wqould disappear.

Cheers

Guest guest

Ramakrishna:

" What is samadhi? It is the complete merging of the mind in God-Consciousness. The jnani experiences jada samadhi, in which no trace of I is left. The samadhi attained through the path of bhakti is called chetana samadhi. In this samadhi there remains the consciousness of I -- the I of the servant-and-Master relationship, of the lover-and-Beloved relationship, of the enjoyer-and-Food relationship. God is the Master; the devotee is the servant. God is the beloved; the devotee is the lover. God is the Food; and the devotee is the enjoyer. "I don't want to be the sugar. I want to eat it"

" Even after attaining samadhi some retain the "servant ego" or the "devotee ego." The bhakta keeps this "I-consciousness." He says, "O God, Thou art the Master and I am Thy servant; Thou are the Lord and I am Thy devotee" He feels that way even after the realization of God. His "I" is not completely effaced. Again, by constantly practising this kind of "I-consciousness," one ultimately attains God. This is called bhakti-yoga.

" One can attain the Knowledge of Brahman, too, by following the path of bhakti. God is all-powerful. He may give His devotee Brahmajnana also, if He so wills. But the devotee generally doesn't seek the Knowledge of the Absolute. He would rather have the consciousness that God is the Master and he the servant, or that God is the Divine Mother and he the child. "

Originally posted by jijaji:

MASTER: "It is not good to feel that one's own religion alone is true and all others are false. God is one only, and not two. Different people call on Him by different names: some as Allah, some as God, and others as Krishna, Siva, and Brahman. It is like the water in a lake. Some drink it at one place and call it 'jal', others at another place and call it 'pani', and still others at a third place and call it 'water'. The Hindus call it 'jal', the Christians 'water', and the Mussulmans 'pani'. But it is one and the same thing. Opinions are but paths. Each religion is only a path leading to God, as rivers come from different directions and ultimately become one in the one ocean.

Posted Image

indeed..!

jijaji

------------------

PEACE OUT NOW

Originally posted by amanpeter:

Shvu, are you speaking of Sri Ramana Maharshi and didn't he use to say that there is only ONE question we should ask ourselves, "Who am I?" I took this as a personal mantra for some time, even facing myself in the mirror while on LSD.

Valayaji..

I do not think this is what Ramana had in mind, I mean doing atma-jnana on LSD starring into a mirror. At least I have never read about it in any of his statements.

But I understand as many of us came to experience spirituality thru these types of mediums.

I remember somewhere some 'Be Here Now' type who said LSD was .."Little Satori"

peace,

Posted Image

jijaji

------------------

PEACE OUT NOW

He told them to find out who was asking all the questions and then the questions wqould disappear.

Oh Shvu......

What can It be that can disappear ?

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

Oh Talasiga......

the questions disappear. Didn't you read the full sentence before?

Cheers

Same kind of thing happened to me when I first joined the temple. My mind was always asking questions internally, I guess to Prabhupada, and answers would come. Then the questions themselves just seemed to dissolve as they were forming. Not that I was ever really in the state Sri Ramana was indicating. Still, it was strange, like being satisfied before eating, just as I reached for the food...

[This message has been edited by amanpeter (edited 08-23-2001).]

Guest guest

Ramakrishna:

" The mind of the yogi is always fixed on God, always absorbed in the Self.

"To fix the mind on God is very difficult, in the beginning, unless one practises meditation in solitude. When a tree is young it should be fenced all around; otherwise it may be destroyed by cattle.

"At different points in time, different men went into the jungle and saw a chameleon. Because each man saw the chameleon just once, they didn't realize that this one animal could be different colors. Afterwards they discussed this animal among themselves, and began to argue as to the animal's true color.

"... One who constantly thinks of God can know His real nature; he alone knows that God reveals Himself to seekers in various forms and aspects. God has attributes; then again He has none. Only the man who lives under the tree knows that the chameleon can appear in various colours, and he knows further, that at times it has no colour at all. It is the others who suffer from the agony of futile argument.

" Shivanath once said that one "loses one's head" by thinking too much of God. "What?" said I. "Can anyone ever become unconscious by thinking of Consciousness? God is of the nature of Eternity, Purity, and Consciousness. Through His Consciousness one becomes conscious of everything; through His Intelligence the whole world appears intelligent. "

Alas I have been pondering the teachings of this great saint Sri Ramakrishna and it dawned upon me....jijaji the seeker (if you will)

Ramakrishna is firm in his conviction THAT all paths to GOD are valid!

Be they Vaishnava, Shavite, Advaitavadin, Tantrika, Yogin, Kriyaban, Chaitanyite, Vallabhaite, Shakta..(Goddess/Devi cult), Dvaitavadin, Christian (gnostics), Muslim (sufi), Jews (kabbalah), Paganism etc. etc.

If ALL these diffferent paths ARE valid approaches to the DIVINE as realized by Sri Ramakrishna....

Then I say why not the Various paths WITHIN each individual PATH i.e. Vaishnava, Shaivite, Shakta etc. are as VALID as any....

In other words the various paths within Gaudiya Vaishnaviam for instance...

Iskcon, Gaudiya Math (many differing moods) and the Babaji camp..are ALL VALID and with purpose for differing types of Sadhakas who possess different moods and tastes.

What is the use of accepting that God manifests himself through different moods in varing faiths, but still seeing those within each particular religion fight and fight and fight..

Thus it would seem that the universalism Sri Ramakrishna speaks of should appply to various factions of one particular faith..

Certainly Srila Prabupada inspired many and brought Sri Krishna to life for many souls, and as well Srila Narayan Maharaja seems to be leading many to the path of devotion to Radha Krishna as well. Next we have the Babaji camp who teaches a different approach from the Gaudiya Math institutions, but still they are giving THEIR way to Krishna as well.

If I at all appreciate Sri Ramakrishna's universal teachings ..

I MUST..have this perspective and humbly bow before ALL who teach about the GODHEAD regardless of what branch, what way of worship, what SAMPRADAYA etc.,

If GOD is being approached in whatever manner I should humbly bow and accept whatever mercy comith my way.

jijaji

Posted Image

------------------

PEACE OUT NOW

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 08-28-2001).]

If GOD is being approached in whatever manner I should humbly bow and accept whatever

mercy comith my way.

jijaji

Exactly, prabhu! That is why I personally must see God only as my guru and not my guru only as God. Truth is there, in everything and everyone, for those with the eyes to see. I believe that vision is available solely by Divine Grace and She always works in mysterious and wondrous ways, far beyond our limited understanding or ability to control. Let's take whatever we find from wherever and share it here together for whoever can appreciate and hopefully benefit! JAI RADHE!!! valaya

[This message has been edited by amanpeter (edited 08-28-2001).]

Originally posted by amanpeter:

Exactly, prabhu! That is why I personally must see God only as my guru and not my guru only as God. Truth is there, in everything and everyone, for those with the eyes to see. I believe that vision is available solely by Divine Grace and She always works in mysterious ways, far beyond our limited understanding or ability to control. Let's take whatever we find from wherever and share it here together for whoever can appreciate and hopefully benefit! JAI RADHE!!! valaya

[This message has been edited by amanpeter (edited 08-28-2001).]

you expand my bliss..thank you and forgive my offences and help this small-minded one advance towards ALL who aspire to know the DIVINE..!

Jai Sri Radhe,

Posted Image

jijaji

------------------

PEACE OUT NOW