IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Marrying meaties

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We are quite happy to have all sorts of vegans as friends, single or not, as we want a substitute extended family.

Lesley

kiwi2000 [kiwi2000]13 July 2002 02:28 Subject: Re: Re: Marrying meaties

Lesley,

I 've found that single people and families don't mix well. There is an underlying fear that one's partner will flee the nest with the single friend so they are avoided and not made welcome. You're right about choosing whom you associate with. When people grow and need support

for their new direction, they may need to let go of past relationships that hold them back and only reinforce the way they were and don't help

them to be the new "Me".

Brad

-

Lesley Dove

Friday, July 12, 2002 2:37 PM

RE: Re: Marrying meaties

Not likely to be quite so bad if you get to know lots of other vegan parents in your area including some in the same position as you, married to meat-eaters. Also try to find some other vegan family-friendly people in your life, even if they don't have their own kids (or have grown up ones).

You can make choices who to mix with, just ditch the people out of your life who are likely to come down on you like a ton of bricks for raising a child vegan. It's like clearing out when you move house, when you change as much as you have in a short time, it is OK to be ruthless who/what you dump for your own sanity and ease of living. Get new things/new friends, now if only implementing my own advice for myself was easy!!

Easier to do it all better than I did before having kids I think. My mistake was thinking my existing vegan friends would be happy to be friends with vegan families when they were not - bad judgement that.

Lesley

Janey [janey]12 July 2002 19:19 Subject: Re: Re: Marrying meaties

Yes, I agree Lesley. This is a worry for me. Although my husband and I don't have children right now, this is going to be a future problem if we choose to have children together. Because eating meat is considered the *norm* I would have everybody come down on me like a tonne of bricks. Probably be told I was being cruel and undernourishing my child. I can see who would win. :-(

Janey

x

If Hannah has kids with him I wonder if he will he allow her to raise them vegan?

There is no doubt that mixed relationships can be very problematic when you add children to the mix, I've seen examples of it on dozens of message boards.

Lesley

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Morning!

>Why should Lesley admit she was wrong just because you think she was?!

Still on this are we.

Lesley said " mental illness " is the same as psychoses, which is the same as

not knowing right from wrong, which is the same as several well known

serial killers. Do you think she is wrong? Certainly the APA and the BPS,

the medical profession don't...

>It was plain for everyone to see

>that Lesley was making a casual comment...

Being casual is justificati0n for prejudicial comments now? Gottcha.

>Back

>off and stop taking everything so personally.

Only if you back off the meat eaters.

Sigh, maybe it's just manners. Where I come from when you accidentally

offend someone you think about what you did wrong, and try to avoid it

happening again. Maybe it's just a north/south divide thing where people

down south people have a go at you for daring to be offended by them?

I'm not going to say anything else on this subject. I've made my point -

learn from it, ignore it, slag it off, your call, enjoy.

Michael

Guest guest

Lesley,

I wasn't commenting on your ultimate attractiveness. Not everyone is attracted to the same type of person.

You needn't have been humiliated therefore. Fat and frumpy can be nice too if the fat and the frump are distributed in the right places.

Brad

-

Lesley Dove

Saturday, July 13, 2002 4:36 AM

RE: Marrying meaties

Nah, not possible that they would not have been attracted to me! Just kidding. I was not always fat and frumpy you know.

Lesley

kiwi2000 [kiwi2000]13 July 2002 01:52 Subject: Re: Marrying meaties

Have you never seen Dr.Who or heard of the Daleks? The Daleks ARE human destrying robots. Lets get those suckers out to do their

Jobs ! Men don't mind at all if a woman makes the first move. What probably was going on there was that the vegan men you approached

simply weren't attracted to you or they were gay. That's why you were rejected. Now you know what men have to go through all the time being the ones' who are always supposed to make the first move. We get rejected and crapped on regularly but like the Eveready Bunny we keep going and going and going......

Brad

-

EBbrewpunx

Friday, July 12, 2002 12:49 PM

love...logic?lesley is vulcan!:)luv isn't logical dear..its love..its an emotion..pure and simple...who can predict that? sure, you can try and shape it, ignore it, bend it, but you can't change it...people are attracted to each other fer a whole variety of reasons, some fer this, some fer that...the bloody miracle of the brain and hormones...when is someone gonna make those humna destroying robots anyways? maybe they are hiding in the forests of canada....cheersfraggle"Lesley Dove" <Lesley wrote:>>Some vegans (women more than the men from what I've noticed when this debate>comes up) are certainly very illogical when it comes to who they falling in>love with. My attitude is more like yours and Angie's as you know.>>My husband and I agree that one of us wanting to start eating animals again>would constitute evidence of serious mental illness in our case!>>When I was young and single (and I was not too fat and unattractive, believe>it or not 15 years ago) I was turned down a few times by vegan men of around>my age when I asked them out, that was bloody humiliating. I only ever asked>out a few over the years, just those who seemed compatible, and I felt I>would definitely click with (no smokers for instance). I was just good>friends with my now husband for years when he smoked and could not see>myself attracted to him until he quit, which he did. I think the ones who>turned me down probably didn't like women who made the first move, that's>the only reason I can come up with, because I was really quite logical about>it, so I only asked out someone if he clearly seemed suitable. I didn't like>the idea of trying to meet someone by going and chatting to strangers in>places where most people met other people, bars and stuff, you never know>what weirdoes there are out there! Instead I looked in veggie/vegan social>and AR campaigning groups, and to some point green and peace groups where>there were quite a few veggies and vegans, it seemed logical and safe to me.>But not always easy to find Mr Right nevertheless.>>My first husband was veggie and did go vegan for a time for me, but we>split, partly because he was not open about not being sure how he felt about>having kids though until after I said I felt I was ready to try for a baby.>>Lesley>> > kiwi2000 [kiwi2000]> 12 July 2002 01:46> > Re: Marrying meaties>>> I think you're both just fooling yourselves. You could love anyone or>anything. It's all the same right?> It doesn't seem to matter to either of you what another person holds as>being important to them.> You'll love them no matter who they are or what they do. Being part of>murdering innocent animals> obviously doesn't stop you from loving someone.> I wonder what would?> -> Trusty, Hannah> Heartwork ; > Thursday, July 11, 2002 3:31 PM> RE: Marrying meaties>>>> Jo,> Thanks for the support. It's nice to know that someone else feels that>way.>> Hannah>>> >>How could you possibly offend anyone by being loving? You should be> proud> of yourself. If my husband wanted to eat meat I would still love him> the> same. Wacky lifestyles can be fun - and that's what life should be.>>>>>> ---> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).> <http://www.grisoft.com).>> Version: 6.0.372 / Virus Database: 207 - Release 20/06/02>>> To send an email to - >>

Guest guest

Thanks for sharing that, Hannah -- that *was* a wonderful article :)

-- jojo

-

" Trusty, Hannah " <hannah.trusty

Friday, July 12, 2002 7:19 AM

FW: Marrying meaties

>

> Ian,

> Here is the URL for Joanne Stepaniak's website. The first link should

> take you directly to her article about meat eaters. The second is just

> to her general website. I know some people may not agree with these,

> but I think she is such a wonderful writer and such a good example that

> I thought I would share it with the entire list.

>

> http://www.vegsource.com/joanne/qa/qacompassion.htm

>

> or

> http://www.vegsource.com/joanne

>

> Hannah

>

> > (Also, I would like to point to Joanne Stepaniak's web-site, she has a

> wonderful article about living with meat eaters, and she puts it much

> more eleoquently than I ever could--and her spelling is much better!!)

> >

> > Hannah

>

> What's the URL?

>

> > --

> > Ian McDonald

> >

> > http://www.mcdonald.me.uk/ <http://www.mcdonald.me.uk/>

> >

>

> --

> Ian McDonald

>

> http://www.mcdonald.me.uk/

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

Brad

I remember David Hasselhof making a few records, but not what I would call rock (but then I like really heavy stuff).

Jo

Hey Graham, it's not a matter of anyone justifying themselves to me or anyone else. Hannah, I'm sure can speak up for herself. What are we doing in this group if we shouldn't talk to each other? So it gets a little tense now and then. I think that's ok because we are discussing things that are important to us. This is why we're here. Sometimes it's not so easy to communicate but I think it's better than watching reruns of Baywatch. I wonder though what David Hasselhoff would say about all this? Is it true that he's a famous rock star in Europe?

Brad

-

Lesley Dove

Friday, July 12, 2002 1:59 PM

RE: Re: Marrying meaties

Why shouldn't she explain it to those of us who find it hard to understand if she so chooses? Anyway you are not with a meat eater, could you be happy with one who would not raise your kids vegan?

Lesley

quercusrobur2002 [grahamburnett]12 July 2002 18:50 Subject: Re: Marrying meatiesHey hannah, you don't have to justify yourself to anyone, no matter what Brad might think about that...Graham> Also, for those who are uneasy about co-habitating with a 'meatie', I look at it this way. Before I met my husband he was a real meat and potato man, but now he eats a LOT less meat, if only by the virture that I cook the meals (I love to cook). That is saving at least a couple of cows/pigs/chickens a year. These animals are saved by our union-we are saving them together. If I was with someone who would be vegan regardless of me, and he was with another meateater, then he would probably never been exposed to the veg. lifestyle and would have kept on eating lots of meat. Yeah, I know it would save a lot more if he didn't eat any meat at all, but every little bit helps. > info/terms/> .To send an email to -

Guest guest

-

<EBbrewpunx

Friday, July 12, 2002 10:18 AM

> well, i can see lookin fer someone you are compatible with, but sometimes

the " heart " doesn't listen

>

> we all wish we had the perfect mate..some of us find them, some of us

search and search...

> fraggle

yep.

-- jojo

Guest guest

That's a wonderful way of thinking about it :)! What are those t-shirts

that have a number on them....like 78 or something. That's the estimated

number of lives consumed by the average adult non-vegetarian -- ANNUALLY!

So you're more than sparing a couple of lives :) And you will have your

husband around for longer than a meat-eater wife would as you are probably

sparing him from premature death due to an unhealthy meat-based diet :)

Neat!

-- jojo

-

" Trusty, Hannah " <hannah.trusty

" Lesley Dove " <Lesley;

Friday, July 12, 2002 10:39 AM

> Maybe my youth helped inspired my relationship with my husband. I was not

so set in my ways. I was 18 when we first started dating and we married

when I was 21 (we just celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary a couple of

months ago!) I wasn't even looking for ANY partner when I met him. I just

started college and din't want to be 'tied down' to a relationship. But I

couldn't stay away from him.

>

> Also, for those who are uneasy about co-habitating with a 'meatie', I look

at it this way. Before I met my husband he was a real meat and potato man,

but now he eats a LOT less meat, if only by the virture that I cook the

meals (I love to cook). That is saving at least a couple of

cows/pigs/chickens a year. These animals are saved by our union-we are

saving them together. If I was with someone who would be vegan regardless

of me, and he was with another meateater, then he would probably never been

exposed to the veg. lifestyle and would have kept on eating lots of meat.

Yeah, I know it would save a lot more if he didn't eat any meat at all, but

every little bit helps.

>

> Hannah

>

Guest guest

Jojo

Well, if your weirdos - I think I like weirdos :-)

Jo

I agree that is a good idea - but there are loads of weirdos into animal rights. It doesn't necessarily mean that the person you meet will be responsible and not a pervo etc.

Jo

Yeah, take me and fraggle for instance...

;) <giggles>

-- jojo

To send an email to -

Guest guest

-

Heartwork

Friday, July 12, 2002 11:57 AM

Re: Marrying meaties

I agree that is a good idea - but there are loads of weirdos into animal rights. It doesn't necessarily mean that the person you meet will be responsible and not a pervo etc.

Jo

;) <giggles>

-- jojo

Guest guest

He's probably a lot more helpful/tolerant because he knows I'll be not only unhappy but physically ill if I ate what he's eating. But I don't think that's the only thing. I can't change him by yelling or forcing, all I can do is let him know how I feel about it and why I think he should stop eating animals. We talk about the health and ethical benefits of the vegan foods I make. He's eating a lot less meat and a lot more fruits/veggies, but that's not from me yelling. It's because the more he does the better he feels and the more he learns about the way food animals are processed. I think it's just like weight loss, you have to do it on your own and for yourself, or it will never stick. I'm afraid we (vegans, as a group) are scaring of prospective vegans when we get so intolerant of anyone else.

- Muffy

-

kiwi2000

Saturday, July 13, 2002 1:14 AM

Is that because you are a vegan for health reasons primarily

and not ethical/spiritual ones?

-

James & Muffy Caldwell

Friday, July 12, 2002 6:20 PM

Hannah,

I'm also married to a meat-eater. We had our first anniversary last month, but I've only been strictly vegan for a few months, since I discovered that I have an egg/dairy intolerance. Sometimes it's an issue, like when we want to eat out (I can't find anything to eat at his favorite restaurants) or trying to make meals that we can share (he's wary of 'strange' new foods), but most of the time it doesn't matter. He's learning to like some of my meals, and I'm getting used to eating together but eating different things. It can work out as long as neither side gets caught up in insisting that their way is the way for everyone. I just try to stay relaxed.

- Muffy

-

Trusty, Hannah

Ian McDonald ;

Thursday, July 11, 2002 7:47 AM

>>Well, that *is* a difference. Unless the two of you are an exception tothe generalisations, he thinks you are going to hell, and you think hecauses hell for animals.>>Yup, that's a difference.Yes, we do have lots of differences. As far as the religion thing goes, I really don't think he thinks I'm going to hell. We both agreed early on that as long as we are both happy and it isn't hurting anyone, our own spirtual beliefs are our own business. In this case we are both very apathetic (sp??) but it works.As far as eating meat goes, I was only a ovo-lacto vegetarian when I met him, and more for enviornmental reasons (although, Ive always loved animals). When it finally dawned on me how much animal rights did mean to me, I became vegan and doing much more activist work. This was about four years after we started dating. So as far as the dynamics of the relationship go, I was the one who changed, not him.We have talked about why I am vegan now, as we talked about why I was vegetarian. I wanted him to know why it means so much to me, and he wanted to understand. I can't change him, and I don't try to. If he changes it is because he wants to, not because I want him to. That is the only lasting change anyway.He does admit that he thinks my lifestyle choices are better for health, enviornmental and compassion reasons, but he just can't make the change yet. Lots of people are that way. I was thirteen when I became vegetarian, but 23 when I went vegan. And that's pretty young. Lots of people are much older before they go vegetarain. I'm sure many on this list are in thier 30's or over and just starting to be veg.My point is that it is a hard transition to make in this culture. I know I was raised to think of meat as beef and pork not dead cow and pig. I pulled a "wishbone" or two at Thanksgiving and it sickens me now, but I didn't think twice about it as a child.Yes, I see why some want to be with other vegans, and that is fine if that is critria for a mate. But I perosnally don't want to cut myself off from the 'meat eaters' because I think they are evil. Heck, my own mamma eats fish and chicken. I feel like I should be in there being a positive example and giving out the information that many just don't get in today's society to make an informed choice.Sorry I ranted on for so long, but I feel that I must be a minority in this group since no one else seems to be married to a carnivore. And although I understand the weariness of living with a meat eater, I just wanted to share my reasons. I hope I didn't offend anyone, I just thought that this might shed some light on my wacky lifestyle.(Also, I would like to point to Joanne Stepaniak's web-site, she has a wonderful article about living with meat eaters, and she puts it much more eleoquently than I ever could--and her spelling is much better!!)Hannah-- Ian McDonaldhttp://www.mcdonald.me.uk/ <http://www.mcdonald.me.uk/> To send an email to -

Guest guest

For me, nothing...I can't help it, I just don't have a switch to flip and stop loving someone because they've done something I disapprove of. My mother did some pretty mean things, but she's still my mum, I love her. My husband may change or he may not, but I can't just tell him that he has to switch and be vegan or I'll stop loving him ---- talk about cruelty!

- Muffy

-

kiwi2000

Thursday, July 11, 2002 7:46 PM

Being part of murdering innocent animals

obviously doesn't stop you from loving someone.

I wonder what would?

-

Trusty, Hannah

Heartwork ;

Thursday, July 11, 2002 3:31 PM

Jo, Thanks for the support. It's nice to know that someone else feels that way.Hannah>>How could you possibly offend anyone by being loving? You should beproudof yourself. If my husband wanted to eat meat I would still love himthesame. Wacky lifestyles can be fun - and that's what life should be.---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).<http://www.grisoft.com).> Version: 6.0.372 / Virus Database: 207 - Release 20/06/02To send an email to -

Guest guest

>>Another sentence beginning with an 'A'.<<

tee-hee :)!

-- jojo

-

Mavreela

Friday, July 12, 2002 4:15 PM

>Oh sorry, of course the Yorkshire Ripper had a great understanding of what >was right and wrong, and so did Myra Hindley!And all people with mental illnesses ('cept depression) are serial killers?As far as I am aware (could be wrong, not looked into it) they were both considered legally fit to stand trial (the criteria being able to tell right from wrong).Associating psychoses with high profile murderers is what I would expect of the Daily Mail, it is very evident of a complete misunderstanding of abnormal psychology, very ignorant, and very offensive.Another sentence beginning with an 'A'.MichaelTo send an email to -

Guest guest

I can't trust my mother to watch what she puts in food when I visit her! It's not just hard for non-vegans to keep track of all the things we don't eat, it's also that they honestly don't understand why it's such a big deal if the cake they make has one egg in it. To them it's a spoonful of slimy substance that helps the cake stick together. To us, it's a chicken. From their point of view, we're just being picky/neurotic/fanatical. It wouldn't help unless the in-laws/grandparents had some understanding of how we feel, but perhaps providing them with easy, non-threatening alternatives for the kids' meals would make it easier?

- Muffy

-

Janey

Friday, July 12, 2002 3:07 PM

Re: Re: Marrying meaties

Unfortunately Jo, I already know the answer. :-(

And even if I did feed my child/ren vegan food, there's no telling what the in-laws would do behind my back!

Janey - destined to keep animals and have no children!!!

Why don't you ask him what he feels about it? I't's the only way you will find out - and better to tackle the problem (if indeed it turns out to be a problem) beforehand.

JoTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Well, if you're in the area ....

Jo

> can i come over then?

> i'm famished

> fraggle

>

> " Heartwork " <Heartwork wrote:

>

> >Muffy

> >

> >That is very true. It is not hard to cook different things for different

family members. Peter has never eaten the same meals as us - we like

different things. When my daughter was also at home, some evenings we cooked

three different meals - one for me and Colin, one for Peter and one for

Laura. That's what families are about.

> >

> >Jo

> > -

> > James & Muffy Caldwell

> >

> > Friday, July 12, 2002 11:20 PM

> > Re: Marrying meaties

> >

> >

> > Hannah,

> > I'm also married to a meat-eater. We had our first anniversary last

month, but I've only been strictly vegan for a few months, since I

discovered that I have an egg/dairy intolerance. Sometimes it's an issue,

like when we want to eat out (I can't find anything to eat at his favorite

restaurants) or trying to make meals that we can share (he's wary of

'strange' new foods), but most of the time it doesn't matter. He's learning

to like some of my meals, and I'm getting used to eating together but eating

different things. It can work out as long as neither side gets caught up in

insisting that their way is the way for everyone. I just try to stay

relaxed.

> >

> > - Muffy

> >

> > -

> > Trusty, Hannah

> > Ian McDonald ;

> > Thursday, July 11, 2002 7:47 AM

> > RE: Marrying meaties

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > >>Well, that *is* a difference. Unless the two of you are an exception

to

> > the generalisations, he thinks you are going to hell, and you think he

> > causes hell for animals.

> >

> > >>Yup, that's a difference.

> >

> > Yes, we do have lots of differences. As far as the religion thing goes,

I really don't think he thinks I'm going to hell. We both agreed early on

that as long as we are both happy and it isn't hurting anyone, our own

spirtual beliefs are our own business. In this case we are both very

apathetic (sp??) but it works.

> >

> > As far as eating meat goes, I was only a ovo-lacto vegetarian when I met

him, and more for enviornmental reasons (although, Ive always loved

animals). When it finally dawned on me how much animal rights did mean to

me, I became vegan and doing much more activist work. This was about four

years after we started dating. So as far as the dynamics of the relationship

go, I was the one who changed, not him.

> >

> > We have talked about why I am vegan now, as we talked about why I was

vegetarian. I wanted him to know why it means so much to me, and he wanted

to understand. I can't change him, and I don't try to. If he changes it is

because he wants to, not because I want him to. That is the only lasting

change anyway.

> >

> > He does admit that he thinks my lifestyle choices are better for health,

enviornmental and compassion reasons, but he just can't make the change yet.

Lots of people are that way. I was thirteen when I became vegetarian, but 23

when I went vegan. And that's pretty young. Lots of people are much older

before they go vegetarain. I'm sure many on this list are in thier 30's or

over and just starting to be veg.

> >

> > My point is that it is a hard transition to make in this culture. I know

I was raised to think of meat as beef and pork not dead cow and pig. I

pulled a " wishbone " or two at Thanksgiving and it sickens me now, but I

didn't think twice about it as a child.

> >

> > Yes, I see why some want to be with other vegans, and that is fine if

that is critria for a mate. But I perosnally don't want to cut myself off

from the 'meat eaters' because I think they are evil. Heck, my own mamma

eats fish and chicken. I feel like I should be in there being a positive

example and giving out the information that many just don't get in today's

society to make an informed choice.

> >

> >

> > Sorry I ranted on for so long, but I feel that I must be a minority in

this group since no one else seems to be married to a carnivore. And

although I understand the weariness of living with a meat eater, I just

wanted to share my reasons. I hope I didn't offend anyone, I just thought

that this might shed some light on my wacky lifestyle.

> > (Also, I would like to point to Joanne Stepaniak's web-site, she has a

wonderful article about living with meat eaters, and she puts it much more

eleoquently than I ever could--and her spelling is much better!!)

> >

> > Hannah

> > --

> > Ian McDonald

> >

> > http://www.mcdonald.me.uk/ <http://www.mcdonald.me.uk/>

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

> >

Guest guest

> Unfortunately Jo, I already know the answer. :-(

> And even if I did feed my child/ren vegan food, there's no telling what the

> in-laws would do behind my back!

That depends on the in-laws, and what your husband asks the in-laws to

do. I've heard of vegan children being fed non-vegan sweets by bossy

in-laws and blood relatives, but never of in-laws feeding veggie

children meat.

Of course, you know your in-laws, and I do not.

> Janey - destined to keep animals and have no children!!!

This is not destiny. It is a choice. A valid choice, and perhaps your

choice, but not destiny.

--

Ian McDonald

http://www.mcdonald.me.uk/

Guest guest

> Janey wrote:

>

> Yes, I agree Lesley. This is a worry for me. Although my husband and

> I don't have children right now, this is going to be a future problem

> if we choose to have children together.

I do not meant to be rude or prying, but you might want to think about

it anyway. Marriages do not always plan their children. Witness the

Blairs.

> Because eating meat is

> considered the *norm* I would have everybody come down on me like a

> tonne of bricks. Probably be told I was being cruel and

> undernourishing my child. I can see who would win. :-(

(to private email)

--

Ian McDonald

Guest guest

> Janey wrote:

>

> Yes, I agree Lesley. This is a worry for me. Although my husband and

> I don't have children right now, this is going to be a future problem

> if we choose to have children together. Because eating meat is

> considered the *norm* I would have everybody come down on me like a

> tonne of bricks. Probably be told I was being cruel and

> undernourishing my child. I can see who would win. :-(

>

> Janey

> x

I wanted to say:

Probably the person who gave in first. Why would it be you?

--

Ian McDonald

Guest guest

Is there going to be a way in the future?

--

Believe me - it would be war. I've just turned 30 so I have been

thinking about children a lot. But there's no way right now. So I bury

the problem in the sand!

Janey

x

--

Ian McDonald

Guest guest

LOL! Thanks, Jo :) -- I think I was referring more to the "pervo" bit (in light of our recent S & M blatherings,) but I don't mind being a weirdo either, though ;)

-- jojo

-

Heartwork

Saturday, July 13, 2002 11:22 AM

Jojo

Well, if your weirdos - I think I like weirdos :-)

Jo

Jo

;) <giggles>

-- jojo

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Witness me too! Like the Blair's my last baby was a surprise (a good one though!).

Lesley

Ian McDonald [ian]14 July 2002 00:50 Subject: Re: Re: Marrying meaties> Janey wrote:> > Yes, I agree Lesley. This is a worry for me. Although my husband and> I don't have children right now, this is going to be a future problem> if we choose to have children together. I do not meant to be rude or prying, but you might want to think aboutit anyway. Marriages do not always plan their children. Witness theBlairs.> Because eating meat is> considered the *norm* I would have everybody come down on me like a> tonne of bricks. Probably be told I was being cruel and> undernourishing my child. I can see who would win. :-((to private email)-- Ian McDonaldhttp://www.mcdonald.me.uk/To send an email to -

Guest guest

Vegetarian MatchMakers.

Lesley

kiwi2000 [kiwi2000]13 July 2002 07:13 Subject: Re: Marrying meaties

What's VMM?

-

Lesley Dove

Friday, July 12, 2002 6:33 PM

Actually I do think that things like VMM really do help some people to get the opportunity to meet suitable people so they have more chance of finding love.

Lesley

Peter [snowbow]12 July 2002 22:42 Subject: Re: Marrying meaties

Hi Lesley

> Some vegans (women more than the men from what I've noticed when this debate comes up) are certainly very illogical when it

> comes to who they falling in love with.

It seems very strange that people keep talking of "logic" when it comes to love. Perhaps we should all have arranged marriages - stick our names into a database, and let that match us up with someone. You could then get married to the "logical" choice without ever having to bother going through all that tedious getting to know them business.

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.372 / Virus Database: 207 - Release 20/06/02To send an email to -

Guest guest

I can't stay relaxed when I see someone eating a dead body . It makes me feel sick . I would not be able to say nothing if I saw someone kicking a cat /dog either

(not as bad as killing an animal and eating it !!!! )

kiwi2000 [kiwi2000] 13 July 2002 07:15 Subject: Re: Marrying meaties

Is that because you are a vegan for health reasons primarily

and not ethical/spiritual ones?

-

James & Muffy Caldwell

Friday, July 12, 2002 6:20 PM

Hannah,

I'm also married to a meat-eater. We had our first anniversary last month, but I've only been strictly vegan for a few months, since I discovered that I have an egg/dairy intolerance. Sometimes it's an issue, like when we want to eat out (I can't find anything to eat at his favorite restaurants) or trying to make meals that we can share (he's wary of 'strange' new foods), but most of the time it doesn't matter. He's learning to like some of my meals, and I'm getting used to eating together but eating different things. It can work out as long as neither side gets caught up in insisting that their way is the way for everyone. I just try to stay relaxed.

- Muffy

---

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.370 / Virus Database: 205 - Release 05/06/2002

Guest guest

How weird . I have family friends and single people friends , old and young . I know when people are off limits (If they are spoken for they are off limits ) you have to trust your other half to be faithful and trust your friends to keep relationships platonic . I've never had a problem with infidelity and don't know anyone who has . .

kiwi2000 [kiwi2000] 13 July 2002 02:28 Subject: Re: Re: Marrying meaties

Lesley,

I 've found that single people and families don't mix well. There is an underlying fear that one's partner will flee the nest with the single friend so they are avoided and not made welcome. You're right about choosing whom you associate with. When people grow and need support

for their new direction, they may need to let go of past relationships that hold them back and only reinforce the way they were and don't help

them to be the new "Me".

Brad

---

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.370 / Virus Database: 205 - Release 05/06/2002

Guest guest

In a message dated 7/13/02 1:07:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time, kiwi2000 writes:

Have you never seen Dr.Who or heard of the Daleks? The Daleks ARE human destrying robots.

oh usefull those guys would be..

"relaese the daleks"

"curses, the humans ran up some stairs again, foiled again!"

maybe they could build big bubbles like in the prisoner to stop those pesky naked apes...

fraggle