Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Dining out-rant

Rate this topic

Guest guest

On Wed, November 30, 2005 10:14 am, serene said:

>

> On Wed, November 30, 2005 10:11 am, fraggle said:

>> ah..but are they really cooking special foods?

>> why are they special?

>> can *they*(whomever they are) eat them?

>> will they curl up and die if they eat string beans?

>

> Will you curl up and die if you eat cheese?

>

> I cook vegan nearly all the time. If someone requests something else, I

> provide it. it's part of being a good host.

and I should mention that what I usually do with non-veg friends is serve

them veg stuff that will impress them, but is still veg. That way, they

feel like they've feasted, but I didn't serve them a plate of dead meat.

(I do cook meat when requested, but I know some people are unwilling to do

that).

serene

Guest guest

I`m sorry, but if someone served me food on a paper plate, I would probably feel annoyed.Why not put a Big sign above theor chair as well marked "MEAT EATER" For gods sake, you do wash your plates don`t you? I think that this kind of behaviour is a little hypocritical, after all us vegans hate being singled out at meal times don`t we?, so why do it back? don`t make sense to me. I guess that you dont share a house with a carnie?

The Valley Vegan....................................

For the true who've remained and the new blood.Motivation, undying allegianceStriving through the hardships and affliction. Every drop of bloodEvery bitter tearEvery bead of sweatI live for this sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001 wrote:

when I go to my families house/in laws house they will make food for me that is vegan friendly(veggies/salad/fruit)I don't ask them to go out of their way to make me a tofu meal(they wouldn't know how to anyway).I am not much of a cook so if we have people here at the house we order in food(that I don't eat),we use paper plates for themjo <jo.heartwork wrote: I reckon it's a good idea to always take a bag of mixed nuts with you wheneating out - then if there is no protein in the dish you are given you caneat the nuts and tell them that vegans need protein too and the meal doesn'thave any!This is not a suggestion or an adverse comment either - it is just ananomaly that I haven't reconciled in my mind yet. We say 'when people visitus they eat what we cook (i.e. no animal ingredients) and yet we complainwhen they won't cook food different to their normal food for us. Surely ifwe expect them to cook special food for our tastes, we should cook food forthem for their tastes. As I said, I am not suggesting that we all cookmeat, cheese etc for our guests, but bearing this in mind, can we really askthem to cook special food for us?Jo----- Original Message

-----"herbvalerian" <herbvalerianWednesday, November 30, 2005 5:24 PM Re: Dining out-rant> Hi,> This can be a difficult one.> I rarely go out to restaurants because there are no exclusively vegetarianrestaurants> round here, tho we have a couple of vegetarian cafes and a pub which issupposed to be> vegetarian.> Fortunately my other half is trying to be vegan and is totally vegetarianso we don't have> conflict about where we go.> When we do go out we usually go to to British Indian restaurants as theyseem to> understand about the ethics of vegetarians and will check the ingredients.They always> have a vegtarian section on the menus. Our local indian restaurant has avegetarian chef.> He makes me a special dish I ask for (spinach and lentil curry) which isnot

on the menu. If> we are going somehere new we usually phone ahead to check they havesomething and if> they seem funny on the phone we don't go.> I have not been to a meat based restaurant in many years, in fact I cannotremember it> must have been so long ago. In fact I am not sure I have ever been to oneas I have been a> veggie for 24 years now, all my adult life. I too would be concerned aboututensils if I went> to a meat based restaurant, it is the main reason I would not go to one.> It is a really good idea to phone ahead when eating out and check. Ifthere is nothing for> you there be> assertive with your family and find a better restaurant. "Let your fingersdo the walking"> through the phone book and make some calls! You have to convince thefamily that you> are going to decide where to eat because they can eat anywhere, you can't!Once you do> this

a few times you will be able to build up a list of places where youknow you can eat> safely and the staff will remember you, particularly if you are polite.Stay away from fast> food places unless you know one where you can get what you want. I don'tknow about the> kitchens but the staff change too much to get to know you.> If you are just eating salads and steamed veggies you are not going to begetting a> balanced diet. Vegans need nuts, tofu, beans etc.> We attended a freind's wedding reception a while ago. The only thing theygave me was a> plain salad. I was disgusted, it as the worst meal I had had out in myentire life, but of> course I could not say any thing for risk of offending the bride andgroom.> Mostly we eat at home with home cooked stuff. I often eat at my next doorneighbour's> house. She is an arabic muslim and she understands about dietaryrestrictions. I make

a> curry or a stew or similar main course dish to take there and she makessome rice and> salad to go with it, and we have a great time stuffing our faces. Sheoften> cooks stuff for me and brings it round in a pot. At first I think shecooked it in the same> pot as meat but she knows better now as I have trained her mind on this.> I hope you don't mind me asking but don't you find it difficult livingwith meat eaters?> Most of my friends are either veggie or veggie friendly. I could not cookmeat for anyone,> no way. If non vegans come round for a meal they get what we eat.> Also, you say you are the only vegan you know of. This must be reallyhard. If you could> find some other Vegans it wuld give you moral support. Perhaps yo couldfind out if there> are any groups in your area and join. Sometimes you can find vegans inrelated> organisations. I know a few through a wholefood

co-op I am in. Also I knowsome> vegetarians through friends who introduced me to them.> If you tell the group the area you live in, they may be able to suggestwhere to find other> vegans.> Let us know how you get on.> Herb,> Tyneside,> UK> , "Sandi" <sandisweeti13132001>wrote:> >> > I was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you> > find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all> > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed> > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about> > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens> > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items> > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home> >

then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I> > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier> > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate> > the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being> > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding> > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot> > as a meat product was cooked it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone> > else feel like me> >>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

the carnie at our haus(who was "mostly veg" when he moved in, tho that turned out to be a lie) has his own plates and cooking stuff...he has his own sponge, etc... peter hurd Nov 30, 2005 10:51 AM Re: Re: Dining out-rant

I`m sorry, but if someone served me food on a paper plate, I would probably feel annoyed.Why not put a Big sign above theor chair as well marked "MEAT EATER" For gods sake, you do wash your plates don`t you? I think that this kind of behaviour is a little hypocritical, after all us vegans hate being singled out at meal times don`t we?, so why do it back? don`t make sense to me. I guess that you dont share a house with a carnie?

For the true who've remained and the new blood.Motivation, undying allegianceStriving through the hardships and affliction. Every drop of bloodEvery bitter tearEvery bead of sweatI live for this sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001 wrote:

when I go to my families house/in laws house they will make food for me that is vegan friendly(veggies/salad/fruit)I don't ask them to go out of their way to make me a tofu meal(they wouldn't know how to anyway).I am not much of a cook so if we have people here at the house we order in food(that I don't eat),we use paper plates for themjo <jo.heartwork wrote: I reckon it's a good idea to always take a bag of mixed nuts with you wheneating out - then if there is no protein in the dish you are given you caneat the nuts and tell them that vegans need protein too and the meal doesn'thave any!This is not a suggestion or an adverse comment either - it is just ananomaly that I haven't reconciled in my mind yet. We say 'when people visitus they eat what we cook (i.e. no animal ingredients) and yet we complainwhen they won't cook food different to their normal food for us. Surely ifwe expect them to cook special food for our tastes, we should cook food forthem for their tastes. As I said, I am not suggesting that we all cookmeat, cheese etc for our guests, but bearing this in mind, can we really askthem to cook special food for us?Jo-"herbvalerian" <herbvalerianWednesday, November 30, 2005 5:24 PM Re: Dining out-rant> Hi,> This can be a difficult one.> I rarely go out to restaurants because there are no exclusively vegetarianrestaurants> round here, tho we have a couple of vegetarian cafes and a pub which issupposed to be> vegetarian.> Fortunately my other half is trying to be vegan and is totally vegetarianso we don't have> conflict about where we go.> When we do go out we usually go to to British Indian restaurants as theyseem to> understand about the ethics of vegetarians and will check the ingredients.They always> have a vegtarian section on the menus. Our local indian restaurant has avegetarian chef.> He makes me a special dish I ask for (spinach and lentil curry) which isnot on the menu. If> we are going somehere new we usually phone ahead to check they havesomething and if> they seem funny on the phone we don't go.> I have not been to a meat based restaurant in many years, in fact I cannotremember it> must have been so long ago. In fact I am not sure I have ever been to oneas I have been a> veggie for 24 years now, all my adult life. I too would be concerned aboututensils if I went> to a meat based restaurant, it is the main reason I would not go to one.> It is a really good idea to phone ahead when eating out and check. Ifthere is nothing for> you there be> assertive with your family and find a better restaurant. "Let your fingersdo the walking"> through the phone book and make some calls! You have to convince thefamily that you> are going to decide where to eat because they can eat anywhere, you can't!Once you do> this a few times you will be able to build up a list of places where youknow you can eat> safely and the staff will remember you, particularly if you are polite.Stay away from fast> food places unless you know one where you can get what you want. I don'tknow about the> kitchens but the staff change too much to get to know you.> If you are just eating salads and steamed veggies you are not going to begetting a> balanced diet. Vegans need nuts, tofu, beans etc.> We attended a freind's wedding reception a while ago. The only thing theygave me was a> plain salad. I was disgusted, it as the worst meal I had had out in myentire life, but of> course I could not say any thing for risk of offending the bride andgroom.> Mostly we eat at home with home cooked stuff. I often eat at my next doorneighbour's> house. She is an arabic muslim and she understands about dietaryrestrictions. I make a> curry or a stew or similar main course dish to take there and she makessome rice and> salad to go with it, and we have a great time stuffing our faces. Sheoften> cooks stuff for me and brings it round in a pot. At first I think shecooked it in the same> pot as meat but she knows better now as I have trained her mind on this.> I hope you don't mind me asking but don't you find it difficult livingwith meat eaters?> Most of my friends are either veggie or veggie friendly. I could not cookmeat for anyone,> no way. If non vegans come round for a meal they get what we eat.> Also, you say you are the only vegan you know of. This must be reallyhard. If you could> find some other Vegans it wuld give you moral support. Perhaps yo couldfind out if there> are any groups in your area and join. Sometimes you can find vegans inrelated> organisations. I know a few through a wholefood co-op I am in. Also I knowsome> vegetarians through friends who introduced me to them.> If you tell the group the area you live in, they may be able to suggestwhere to find other> vegans.> Let us know how you get on.> Herb,> Tyneside,> UK> , "Sandi" <sandisweeti13132001>wrote:> >> > I was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you> > find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all> > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed> > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about> > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens> > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items> > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home> > then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I> > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier> > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate> > the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being> > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding> > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot> > as a meat product was cooked it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone> > else feel like me> >>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Well I guess you can be more choosy than us over here, you would probably never eat out much over here!

The Valley Vegan.............

It doesn't matter anywayNever understand our kindTry to disrespect what's mineYour words don't mean a thing to meYour living in a fantasyNow we have no more to sayWe'll get about it our wayfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at any place that uses the same pots and such for meat as well as veggies...everyone draws the line at different places...and, to me there is a major difference between stepping behind a carnivore, and eating off the same pan that has been used countless times to baste some dead critter....heartwerk Nov 30, 2005 8:30 AM Subject: Re: Dining out-rantI think it is possible to be too sensitive. I can't see any problem with eating food prepared in any utensil as long as it has been thoroughly washed. If you take that sort of thought further you might not want to go out of your house because people who eat meat have walked on the ground that you would walk on, and it would be somewhat

of a joyless life.I agree with asking questions about how the food is prepared if you go to an omnivorous restaurant, and avoiding places that don't use cleaned utensils etc.JoDon't need no politicianTell me things I ought to be Neither no opticianTell me what I ought to seeNo one tells you nothingEven when you know they knowThey tell you what you should beThey don't like to see you grow

Guest guest

found some places in Bath..but that was way back when

and we only ate out like twice while we were there....

here..shhhesssh...eaten out like 5 days out of the week

last night was sushi at koryo sushi(4 blks from my haus)

monday we had vegan japanese at cha ya in berkeley(damn good mushroom miso)

saturday was herbivore in SF

friday was pizza at lanesplitter...

and yet..we still cook everyday...go figure...

fraggle peter hurd Nov 30, 2005 10:56 AM Re: Re: Dining out-rant

Well I guess you can be more choosy than us over here, you would probably never eat out much over here!

It doesn't matter anywayNever understand our kindTry to disrespect what's mineYour words don't mean a thing to meYour living in a fantasyNow we have no more to sayWe'll get about it our wayfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at any place that uses the same pots and such for meat as well as veggies...everyone draws the line at different places...and, to me there is a major difference between stepping behind a carnivore, and eating off the same pan that has been used countless times to baste some dead critter....heartwerk Nov 30, 2005 8:30 AM Subject: Re: Dining out-rantI think it is possible to be too sensitive. I can't see any problem with eating food prepared in any utensil as long as it has been thoroughly washed. If you take that sort of thought further you might not want to go out of your house because people who eat meat have walked on the ground that you would walk on, and it would be somewhat of a joyless life.I agree with asking questions about how the food is prepared if you go to an omnivorous restaurant, and avoiding places that don't use cleaned utensils etc.JoDon't need no politicianTell me things I ought to be Neither no opticianTell me what I ought to seeNo one tells you nothingEven when you know they knowThey tell you what you should beThey don't like to see you grow

Guest guest

Why?, if they make food for their other guests? don`t crucify yourself. Theres nothing wrong in helping in the kitchen though, as long as you dont have to handle the dead things.

The Valley Vegan..........sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001 wrote:

I guess I feel guilty asking people to cook for me,so I try to make all my food even at their homesfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: ah..but are they really cooking special foods?why are they special?can *they*(whomever they are) eat them?will they curl up and die if they eat string beans?if i knew someone who beat puppies, am i just suppose to play by their rules when i see em? jo <jo.heartworkNov 30, 2005 9:58 AM Subject: Re: Re: Dining out-rantI reckon it's a good idea to always take a bag of mixed nuts with you wheneating out - then if there is no protein in the dish you are given you caneat the nuts and tell them that vegans need protein too and the meal doesn'thave any!This is not a suggestion or an adverse comment either - it is just ananomaly that I haven't reconciled in my mind yet. We say 'when people visitus they

eat what we cook (i.e. no animal ingredients) and yet we complainwhen they won't cook food different to their normal food for us. Surely ifwe expect them to cook special food for our tastes, we should cook food forthem for their tastes. As I said, I am not suggesting that we all cookmeat, cheese etc for our guests, but bearing this in mind, can we really askthem to cook special food for us?Jo-"herbvalerian" <herbvalerianWednesday, November 30, 2005 5:24 PM Re: Dining out-rant> Hi,> This can be a difficult one.> I rarely go out to restaurants because there are no exclusively vegetarianrestaurants> round here, tho we have a couple of vegetarian cafes and a pub which issupposed to be> vegetarian.> Fortunately my other half is trying to be vegan and

is totally vegetarianso we don't have> conflict about where we go.> When we do go out we usually go to to British Indian restaurants as theyseem to> understand about the ethics of vegetarians and will check the ingredients.They always> have a vegtarian section on the menus. Our local indian restaurant has avegetarian chef.> He makes me a special dish I ask for (spinach and lentil curry) which isnot on the menu. If> we are going somehere new we usually phone ahead to check they havesomething and if> they seem funny on the phone we don't go.> I have not been to a meat based restaurant in many years, in fact I cannotremember it> must have been so long ago. In fact I am not sure I have ever been to oneas I have been a> veggie for 24 years now, all my adult life. I too would be concerned aboututensils if I went> to a meat based restaurant, it is the main reason I

would not go to one.> It is a really good idea to phone ahead when eating out and check. Ifthere is nothing for> you there be> assertive with your family and find a better restaurant. "Let your fingersdo the walking"> through the phone book and make some calls! You have to convince thefamily that you> are going to decide where to eat because they can eat anywhere, you can't!Once you do> this a few times you will be able to build up a list of places where youknow you can eat> safely and the staff will remember you, particularly if you are polite.Stay away from fast> food places unless you know one where you can get what you want. I don'tknow about the> kitchens but the staff change too much to get to know you.> If you are just eating salads and steamed veggies you are not going to begetting a> balanced diet. Vegans need nuts, tofu, beans etc.> We attended a

freind's wedding reception a while ago. The only thing theygave me was a> plain salad. I was disgusted, it as the worst meal I had had out in myentire life, but of> course I could not say any thing for risk of offending the bride andgroom.> Mostly we eat at home with home cooked stuff. I often eat at my next doorneighbour's> house. She is an arabic muslim and she understands about dietaryrestrictions. I make a> curry or a stew or similar main course dish to take there and she makessome rice and> salad to go with it, and we have a great time stuffing our faces. Sheoften> cooks stuff for me and brings it round in a pot. At first I think shecooked it in the same> pot as meat but she knows better now as I have trained her mind on this.> I hope you don't mind me asking but don't you find it difficult livingwith meat eaters?> Most of my friends are either veggie or veggie

friendly. I could not cookmeat for anyone,> no way. If non vegans come round for a meal they get what we eat.> Also, you say you are the only vegan you know of. This must be reallyhard. If you could> find some other Vegans it wuld give you moral support. Perhaps yo couldfind out if there> are any groups in your area and join. Sometimes you can find vegans inrelated> organisations. I know a few through a wholefood co-op I am in. Also I knowsome> vegetarians through friends who introduced me to them.> If you tell the group the area you live in, they may be able to suggestwhere to find other> vegans.> Let us know how you get on.> Herb,> Tyneside,> UK> , "Sandi" <sandisweeti13132001>wrote:> >> > I was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you> > find it tough to eat out at

restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all> > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed> > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about> > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens> > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items> > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home> > then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I> > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier> > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate> > the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being> > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding> > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot> > as a meat product was cooked it a

few hours ago)thank you all anyone> > else feel like me> >>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Apparently yes. They had a separate small cooking area for the veggie

burgers, and separate utensils. I reckon that's why they gave up serving

them.

BB

Jo

-

" Peter " <metalscarab

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:42 PM

Re: Re: Dining out-rant

> > Also in the UK if a cafe (even an omnivorous cafe) is accredited by the

> > Vegetarian Society it means they have been trained in what is required

to

> > produce vegetarian dishes - i.e. using different utensils, boards etc.

>

> What - even McD****ds?????

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

That is similar to the point I was trying to make. If we expect consideration we should give it and if we are not prepared to give it we shouldn't expect it.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:51 PM

when I go to my families house/in laws house they will make food for me that is vegan friendly(veggies/salad/fruit)I don't ask them to go out of their way to make me a tofu meal(they wouldn't know how to anyway).I am not much of a cook so if we have people here at the house we order in food(that I don't eat),we use paper plates for themjo <jo.heartwork wrote: I reckon it's a good idea to always take a bag of mixed nuts with you wheneating out - then if there is no protein in the dish you are given you caneat the nuts and tell them that vegans need protein too and the meal doesn'thave any!This is not a suggestion or an adverse comment either - it is just ananomaly that I haven't reconciled in my mind yet. We say 'when people visitus they eat what we cook (i.e. no animal ingredients) and yet we complainwhen they won't cook food different to their normal food for us. Surely ifwe expect them to cook special food for our tastes, we should cook food forthem for their tastes. As I said, I am not suggesting that we all cookmeat, cheese etc for our guests, but bearing this in mind, can we really askthem to cook special food for us?Jo-"herbvalerian" <herbvalerianWednesday, November 30, 2005 5:24 PM Re: Dining out-rant> Hi,> This can be a difficult one.> I rarely go out to restaurants because there are no exclusively vegetarianrestaurants> round here, tho we have a couple of vegetarian cafes and a pub which issupposed to be> vegetarian.> Fortunately my other half is trying to be vegan and is totally vegetarianso we don't have> conflict about where we go.> When we do go out we usually go to to British Indian restaurants as theyseem to> understand about the ethics of vegetarians and will check the ingredients.They always> have a vegtarian section on the menus. Our local indian restaurant has avegetarian chef.> He makes me a special dish I ask for (spinach and lentil curry) which isnot on the menu. If> we are going somehere new we usually phone ahead to check they havesomething and if> they seem funny on the phone we don't go.> I have not been to a meat based restaurant in many years, in fact I cannotremember it> must have been so long ago. In fact I am not sure I have ever been to oneas I have been a> veggie for 24 years now, all my adult life. I too would be concerned aboututensils if I went> to a meat based restaurant, it is the main reason I would not go to one.> It is a really good idea to phone ahead when eating out and check. Ifthere is nothing for> you there be> assertive with your family and find a better restaurant. "Let your fingersdo the walking"> through the phone book and make some calls! You have to convince thefamily that you> are going to decide where to eat because they can eat anywhere, you can't!Once you do> this a few times you will be able to build up a list of places where youknow you can eat> safely and the staff will remember you, particularly if you are polite.Stay away from fast> food places unless you know one where you can get what you want. I don'tknow about the> kitchens but the staff change too much to get to know you.> If you are just eating salads and steamed veggies you are not going to begetting a> balanced diet. Vegans need nuts, tofu, beans etc.> We attended a freind's wedding reception a while ago. The only thing theygave me was a> plain salad. I was disgusted, it as the worst meal I had had out in myentire life, but of> course I could not say any thing for risk of offending the bride andgroom.> Mostly we eat at home with home cooked stuff. I often eat at my next doorneighbour's> house. She is an arabic muslim and she understands about dietaryrestrictions. I make a> curry or a stew or similar main course dish to take there and she makessome rice and> salad to go with it, and we have a great time stuffing our faces. Sheoften> cooks stuff for me and brings it round in a pot. At first I think shecooked it in the same> pot as meat but she knows better now as I have trained her mind on this.> I hope you don't mind me asking but don't you find it difficult livingwith meat eaters?> Most of my friends are either veggie or veggie friendly. I could not cookmeat for anyone,> no way. If non vegans come round for a meal they get what we eat.> Also, you say you are the only vegan you know of. This must be reallyhard. If you could> find some other Vegans it wuld give you moral support. Perhaps yo couldfind out if there> are any groups in your area and join. Sometimes you can find vegans inrelated> organisations. I know a few through a wholefood co-op I am in. Also I knowsome> vegetarians through friends who introduced me to them.> If you tell the group the area you live in, they may be able to suggestwhere to find other> vegans.> Let us know how you get on.> Herb,> Tyneside,> UK> , "Sandi" <sandisweeti13132001>wrote:> >> > I was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you> > find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all> > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed> > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about> > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens> > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items> > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home> > then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I> > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier> > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate> > the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being> > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding> > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot> > as a meat product was cooked it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone> > else feel like me> >>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

I am glad to know I am not the only one w/ these concernsfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at any place that uses the same pots and such for meat as well as veggies...everyone draws the line at different places...and, to me there is a major difference between stepping behind a carnivore, and eating off the same pan that has been used countless times to baste some dead critter....heartwerk <jo.heartworkNov 30, 2005 8:30 AM Subject: Re: Dining out-rantI think it is possible to be too sensitive. I can't see any problem with eating food prepared in any utensil as long as it has been thoroughly washed. If you take that sort of

thought further you might not want to go out of your house because people who eat meat have walked on the ground that you would walk on, and it would be somewhat of a joyless life.I agree with asking questions about how the food is prepared if you go to an omnivorous restaurant, and avoiding places that don't use cleaned utensils etc.JoDon't need no politicianTell me things I ought to be Neither no opticianTell me what I ought to seeNo one tells you nothingEven when you know they knowThey tell you what you should beThey don't like to see you grow

Personals Single? There's someone we'd like you to meet. Lots of someones, actually. Personals

Guest guest

I hear you, I hardly ever eat out, apart from the obligitory Christmas meal , and once in a blue moon Indian or Chinese.......

The Valley Vegan..............sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001 wrote:

I hear ya,I try to not think about it much.I dine out maybe every few mos. otherwise my family has understood my lifestyle choices,it saves money I guess.heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: I think it is possible to be too sensitive. I can't see any problem with eating food prepared in any utensil as long as it has been thoroughly washed. If you take that sort of thought further you might not want to go out of your house because people who eat meat have walked on the ground that you would walk on, and it would be somewhat of a joyless life.I agree with asking questions about how the food is prepared if you go to an omnivorous restaurant, and avoiding places that don't use cleaned utensils etc.Jo , "Sandi" <sandisweeti13132001> wrote:>> I was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you > find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually

order-garden salad/steamed > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home > then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate > the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot > as a meat product was cooked it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone > else feel like

me>

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

Did he bring his own oxygen as well?

The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

the carnie at our haus(who was "mostly veg" when he moved in, tho that turned out to be a lie) has his own plates and cooking stuff...he has his own sponge, etc... peter hurd Nov 30, 2005 10:51 AM Re: Re: Dining out-rant

when I go to my families house/in laws house they will make food for me that is vegan friendly(veggies/salad/fruit)I don't ask them to go out of their way to make me a tofu meal(they wouldn't know how to anyway).I am not much of a cook so if we have people here at the house we order in food(that I don't eat),we use paper plates for themjo <jo.heartwork wrote: I reckon it's a good idea to always take a bag of mixed nuts with you wheneating out - then if there is no protein in the dish you are given you caneat the nuts and tell them that vegans need protein too and the meal doesn'thave any!This is not a suggestion or an adverse comment either - it is just ananomaly that I haven't reconciled in my mind yet. We say 'when people visitus they eat what we cook (i.e. no animal ingredients) and yet we complainwhen they won't cook food different to their normal food for us. Surely ifwe expect them to cook special food for our tastes, we should cook food forthem for their tastes. As I said, I am not suggesting that we all cookmeat, cheese etc for our guests, but bearing this in mind, can we really askthem to cook special food for us?Jo----- Original Message

-----"herbvalerian" <herbvalerianWednesday, November 30, 2005 5:24 PM Re: Dining out-rant> Hi,> This can be a difficult one.> I rarely go out to restaurants because there are no exclusively vegetarianrestaurants> round here, tho we have a couple of vegetarian cafes and a pub which issupposed to be> vegetarian.> Fortunately my other half is trying to be vegan and is totally vegetarianso we don't have> conflict about where we go.> When we do go out we usually go to to British Indian restaurants as theyseem to> understand about the ethics of vegetarians and will check the ingredients.They always> have a vegtarian section on the menus. Our local indian restaurant has avegetarian chef.> He makes me a special dish I ask for (spinach and lentil curry) which isnot

on the menu. If> we are going somehere new we usually phone ahead to check they havesomething and if> they seem funny on the phone we don't go.> I have not been to a meat based restaurant in many years, in fact I cannotremember it> must have been so long ago. In fact I am not sure I have ever been to oneas I have been a> veggie for 24 years now, all my adult life. I too would be concerned aboututensils if I went> to a meat based restaurant, it is the main reason I would not go to one.> It is a really good idea to phone ahead when eating out and check. Ifthere is nothing for> you there be> assertive with your family and find a better restaurant. "Let your fingersdo the walking"> through the phone book and make some calls! You have to convince thefamily that you> are going to decide where to eat because they can eat anywhere, you can't!Once you do> this

a few times you will be able to build up a list of places where youknow you can eat> safely and the staff will remember you, particularly if you are polite.Stay away from fast> food places unless you know one where you can get what you want. I don'tknow about the> kitchens but the staff change too much to get to know you.> If you are just eating salads and steamed veggies you are not going to begetting a> balanced diet. Vegans need nuts, tofu, beans etc.> We attended a freind's wedding reception a while ago. The only thing theygave me was a> plain salad. I was disgusted, it as the worst meal I had had out in myentire life, but of> course I could not say any thing for risk of offending the bride andgroom.> Mostly we eat at home with home cooked stuff. I often eat at my next doorneighbour's> house. She is an arabic muslim and she understands about dietaryrestrictions. I make

a> curry or a stew or similar main course dish to take there and she makessome rice and> salad to go with it, and we have a great time stuffing our faces. Sheoften> cooks stuff for me and brings it round in a pot. At first I think shecooked it in the same> pot as meat but she knows better now as I have trained her mind on this.> I hope you don't mind me asking but don't you find it difficult livingwith meat eaters?> Most of my friends are either veggie or veggie friendly. I could not cookmeat for anyone,> no way. If non vegans come round for a meal they get what we eat.> Also, you say you are the only vegan you know of. This must be reallyhard. If you could> find some other Vegans it wuld give you moral support. Perhaps yo couldfind out if there> are any groups in your area and join. Sometimes you can find vegans inrelated> organisations. I know a few through a wholefood

co-op I am in. Also I knowsome> vegetarians through friends who introduced me to them.> If you tell the group the area you live in, they may be able to suggestwhere to find other> vegans.> Let us know how you get on.> Herb,> Tyneside,> UK> , "Sandi" <sandisweeti13132001>wrote:> >> > I was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you> > find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all> > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed> > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about> > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens> > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items> > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home> >

then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I> > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier> > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate> > the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being> > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding> > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot> > as a meat product was cooked it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone> > else feel like me> >>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

my hubby and kids are meat eaters,the paper plates are cheaper thats why-sorry for your reaction thoughpeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote: I`m sorry, but if someone served me food on a paper plate, I would probably feel annoyed.Why not put a Big sign above theor chair as well marked "MEAT EATER" For gods sake, you do wash your plates don`t you? I think that this kind of behaviour is a little hypocritical, after all us vegans hate being singled out at meal times don`t we?, so why do it back? don`t make sense to me. I guess that you dont share a house with a carnie? The Valley Vegan.................................... For the true who've remained and the new blood.Motivation, undying allegianceStriving through the hardships and affliction. Every

drop of bloodEvery bitter tearEvery bead of sweatI live for this sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001 wrote: when I go to my families house/in laws house they will make food for me that is vegan friendly(veggies/salad/fruit)I don't ask them to go out of their way to make me a tofu meal(they wouldn't know how to anyway).I am not much of a cook so if we have people here at the house we order in food(that I don't eat),we use paper plates for themjo <jo.heartwork wrote: I reckon it's a good idea to always take a bag of mixed nuts with you wheneating out - then if there is no protein in the dish you are given you caneat the nuts and tell them that

vegans need protein too and the meal doesn'thave any!This is not a suggestion or an adverse comment either - it is just ananomaly that I haven't reconciled in my mind yet. We say 'when people visitus they eat what we cook (i.e. no animal ingredients) and yet we complainwhen they won't cook food different to their normal food for us. Surely ifwe expect them to cook special food for our tastes, we should cook food forthem for their tastes. As I said, I am not suggesting that we all cookmeat, cheese etc for our guests, but bearing this in mind, can we really askthem to cook special food for us?Jo-"herbvalerian" <herbvalerianWednesday, November 30, 2005 5:24 PM Re: Dining out-rant> Hi,> This can be a difficult one.> I rarely go out to restaurants because

there are no exclusively vegetarianrestaurants> round here, tho we have a couple of vegetarian cafes and a pub which issupposed to be> vegetarian.> Fortunately my other half is trying to be vegan and is totally vegetarianso we don't have> conflict about where we go.> When we do go out we usually go to to British Indian restaurants as theyseem to> understand about the ethics of vegetarians and will check the ingredients.They always> have a vegtarian section on the menus. Our local indian restaurant has avegetarian chef.> He makes me a special dish I ask for (spinach and lentil curry) which isnot on the menu. If> we are going somehere new we usually phone ahead to check they havesomething and if> they seem funny on the phone we don't go.> I have not been to a meat based restaurant in many years, in fact I cannotremember it> must have been so long

ago. In fact I am not sure I have ever been to oneas I have been a> veggie for 24 years now, all my adult life. I too would be concerned aboututensils if I went> to a meat based restaurant, it is the main reason I would not go to one.> It is a really good idea to phone ahead when eating out and check. Ifthere is nothing for> you there be> assertive with your family and find a better restaurant. "Let your fingersdo the walking"> through the phone book and make some calls! You have to convince thefamily that you> are going to decide where to eat because they can eat anywhere, you can't!Once you do> this a few times you will be able to build up a list of places where youknow you can eat> safely and the staff will remember you, particularly if you are polite.Stay away from fast> food places unless you know one where you can get what you want. I don'tknow about

the> kitchens but the staff change too much to get to know you.> If you are just eating salads and steamed veggies you are not going to begetting a> balanced diet. Vegans need nuts, tofu, beans etc.> We attended a freind's wedding reception a while ago. The only thing theygave me was a> plain salad. I was disgusted, it as the worst meal I had had out in myentire life, but of> course I could not say any thing for risk of offending the bride andgroom.> Mostly we eat at home with home cooked stuff. I often eat at my next doorneighbour's> house. She is an arabic muslim and she understands about dietaryrestrictions. I make a> curry or a stew or similar main course dish to take there and she makessome rice and> salad to go with it, and we have a great time stuffing our faces. Sheoften> cooks stuff for me and brings it round in a pot. At first I think shecooked it in the

same> pot as meat but she knows better now as I have trained her mind on this.> I hope you don't mind me asking but don't you find it difficult livingwith meat eaters?> Most of my friends are either veggie or veggie friendly. I could not cookmeat for anyone,> no way. If non vegans come round for a meal they get what we eat.> Also, you say you are the only vegan you know of. This must be reallyhard. If you could> find some other Vegans it wuld give you moral support. Perhaps yo couldfind out if there> are any groups in your area and join. Sometimes you can find vegans inrelated> organisations. I know a few through a wholefood co-op I am in. Also I knowsome> vegetarians through friends who introduced me to them.> If you tell the group the area you live in, they may be able to suggestwhere to find other> vegans.> Let us know how you get on.> Herb,>

Tyneside,> UK> , "Sandi" <sandisweeti13132001>wrote:> >> > I was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you> > find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all> > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed> > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about> > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens> > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items> > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home> > then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I> > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier> > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate> > the food I had at home,come

on I can't trust them right....since being> > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding> > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot> > as a meat product was cooked it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone> > else feel like me> >>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

eh

vegan fast food bugs me

there's a certain mind set to *fast* food..a certain level of "its ok to waste alot" attitude... sandi gordon Nov 30, 2005 10:16 AM Re: Re: Dining out-rant

I think restaurants assume everyone is a meat and dairy eater,they don't have enough options for us vegans.

I do wish there were vegan fast food joints it would be great to go through a drive through to pick up a vegan hamburger/chicken/etc.

Don't need no politician

Tell me things I ought to be Neither no optician

Tell me what I ought to see

No one tells you nothing

Even when you know they know

They tell you what you should be

They don't like to see you grow

Guest guest

hahhahaha yeah right,I figured I didn't eat any of it,but just seeing it on my plate made me pissedfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: tis a wonder you didn't end up spending the next hour getting really closely aquainted with mr comode sandi gordon Nov 30, 2005 9:40 AM Re: Dining out-rant I agree,I once ordered a salad and I was eating it and found strips of chicken it it,I was sooooo upset,I never want to put animal flesh in my mouth again and the thought of it eeeks me outserene <lists wrote: To send an email to - Don't need no politician Tell me things I ought to be Neither no optician Tell me what I ought to see No one tells you nothing Even when you know they know They tell you what you should be They don't like to see you grow

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

Guest guest

Still you rub my face in it, so much choice! its a wonder you cook at all, and I bet its cheaper than over here?

The Valley Vegan..........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

found some places in Bath..but that was way back when

and we only ate out like twice while we were there....

here..shhhesssh...eaten out like 5 days out of the week

last night was sushi at koryo sushi(4 blks from my haus)

monday we had vegan japanese at cha ya in berkeley(damn good mushroom miso)

saturday was herbivore in SF

friday was pizza at lanesplitter...

and yet..we still cook everyday...go figure...

fraggle peter hurd Nov 30, 2005 10:56 AM Re: Re: Dining out-rant

i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at any place that uses the same pots and such for meat as well as veggies...everyone draws the line at different places...and, to me there is a major difference between stepping behind a carnivore, and eating off the same pan that has been used countless times to baste some dead critter....heartwerk Nov 30, 2005 8:30 AM Subject: Re: Dining out-rantI think it is possible to be too sensitive. I can't see any problem with eating food prepared in any utensil as long as it has been thoroughly washed. If you take that sort of thought further you might not want to go out of your house because people who eat meat have walked on the ground that you would walk on, and it would be somewhat

of a joyless life.I agree with asking questions about how the food is prepared if you go to an omnivorous restaurant, and avoiding places that don't use cleaned utensils etc.JoDon't need no politicianTell me things I ought to be Neither no opticianTell me what I ought to seeNo one tells you nothingEven when you know they knowThey tell you what you should beThey don't like to see you grow

Guest guest

well after someones eats a full on meat meal and they breath on you uuuuuuggggghhhh,give me space man,then they come over to give you a wet one,I am like heck nopeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote: Did he bring his own oxygen as well? The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: the carnie at our haus(who was "mostly veg" when he moved in, tho that turned out to be a lie) has his own plates and cooking stuff...he has his own sponge, etc... peter hurd Nov 30, 2005 10:51 AM To:

Re: Re: Dining out-rant I`m sorry, but if someone served me food on a paper plate, I would probably feel annoyed.Why not put a Big sign above theor chair as well marked "MEAT EATER" For gods sake, you do wash your plates don`t you? I think that this kind of behaviour is a little hypocritical, after all us vegans hate being singled out at meal times don`t we?, so why do it back? don`t make sense to me. I guess that you dont share a house with a carnie? The Valley Vegan.................................... For the true who've remained and the new blood.Motivation, undying allegianceStriving through the hardships and affliction. Every drop of bloodEvery bitter tearEvery bead of sweatI live for this sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001 wrote: when I go to my families house/in laws house they will make food for me that is vegan friendly(veggies/salad/fruit)I don't ask them to go out of their way to make me a tofu meal(they wouldn't know how to anyway).I am not much of a cook so if we have people here at the house we order in food(that I don't eat),we use paper plates for themjo <jo.heartwork wrote: I reckon it's a good idea to always take a bag of mixed nuts with you wheneating out - then if there is no protein in the dish you are given you caneat the nuts and tell them that vegans need protein too and the meal doesn'thave any!This is not a suggestion or an adverse comment either - it is just ananomaly that I haven't reconciled in my mind

yet. We say 'when people visitus they eat what we cook (i.e. no animal ingredients) and yet we complainwhen they won't cook food different to their normal food for us. Surely ifwe expect them to cook special food for our tastes, we should cook food forthem for their tastes. As I said, I am not suggesting that we all cookmeat, cheese etc for our guests, but bearing this in mind, can we really askthem to cook special food for us?Jo-"herbvalerian" <herbvalerianWednesday, November 30, 2005 5:24 PM Re: Dining out-rant> Hi,> This can be a difficult one.> I rarely go out to restaurants because there are no exclusively vegetarianrestaurants> round here, tho we have a couple of vegetarian cafes and a pub which issupposed to be> vegetarian.>

Fortunately my other half is trying to be vegan and is totally vegetarianso we don't have> conflict about where we go.> When we do go out we usually go to to British Indian restaurants as theyseem to> understand about the ethics of vegetarians and will check the ingredients.They always> have a vegtarian section on the menus. Our local indian restaurant has avegetarian chef.> He makes me a special dish I ask for (spinach and lentil curry) which isnot on the menu. If> we are going somehere new we usually phone ahead to check they havesomething and if> they seem funny on the phone we don't go.> I have not been to a meat based restaurant in many years, in fact I cannotremember it> must have been so long ago. In fact I am not sure I have ever been to oneas I have been a> veggie for 24 years now, all my adult life. I too would be concerned aboututensils if I

went> to a meat based restaurant, it is the main reason I would not go to one.> It is a really good idea to phone ahead when eating out and check. Ifthere is nothing for> you there be> assertive with your family and find a better restaurant. "Let your fingersdo the walking"> through the phone book and make some calls! You have to convince thefamily that you> are going to decide where to eat because they can eat anywhere, you can't!Once you do> this a few times you will be able to build up a list of places where youknow you can eat> safely and the staff will remember you, particularly if you are polite.Stay away from fast> food places unless you know one where you can get what you want. I don'tknow about the> kitchens but the staff change too much to get to know you.> If you are just eating salads and steamed veggies you are not going to begetting a>

balanced diet. Vegans need nuts, tofu, beans etc.> We attended a freind's wedding reception a while ago. The only thing theygave me was a> plain salad. I was disgusted, it as the worst meal I had had out in myentire life, but of> course I could not say any thing for risk of offending the bride andgroom.> Mostly we eat at home with home cooked stuff. I often eat at my next doorneighbour's> house. She is an arabic muslim and she understands about dietaryrestrictions. I make a> curry or a stew or similar main course dish to take there and she makessome rice and> salad to go with it, and we have a great time stuffing our faces. Sheoften> cooks stuff for me and brings it round in a pot. At first I think shecooked it in the same> pot as meat but she knows better now as I have trained her mind on this.> I hope you don't mind me asking but don't you find it difficult livingwith

meat eaters?> Most of my friends are either veggie or veggie friendly. I could not cookmeat for anyone,> no way. If non vegans come round for a meal they get what we eat.> Also, you say you are the only vegan you know of. This must be reallyhard. If you could> find some other Vegans it wuld give you moral support. Perhaps yo couldfind out if there> are any groups in your area and join. Sometimes you can find vegans inrelated> organisations. I know a few through a wholefood co-op I am in. Also I knowsome> vegetarians through friends who introduced me to them.> If you tell the group the area you live in, they may be able to suggestwhere to find other> vegans.> Let us know how you get on.> Herb,> Tyneside,> UK> , "Sandi" <sandisweeti13132001>wrote:> >> > I was wondering to all the vegans(I am

one for over 11 yrs.)do you> > find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all> > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed> > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about> > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens> > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items> > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home> > then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I> > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier> > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate> > the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being> > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding> > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be

cooked in the same pot> > as a meat product was cooked it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone> > else feel like me> >>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

sorry jo

i disagree with every fiber of my being.....

my diet isn't *special*...

i don't eat anything that comes from an animal

i don't want anything that comes from another animal

thats torture...thats cruel...eh..you know wot i mean...

*accomodating* someone how ate meat in my place would be akin to allowing a

murderer to go right ahead and kill someone in my place..i mean.. its wot he

does..i have to be accomodating...

jo <jo.heartwork

Nov 30, 2005 10:31 AM

> ah..but are they really cooking special foods?

If it is something they would not normally cook for themselves or for their

other friends at a party/bbq - then yes it would be special food, just as a

vegan cooking meat would be cooking something special for someone else.

> why are they special?

Maybe special is not a word that has made my meaning clear. Maybe I should

have said different to their normal food.

> can *they*(whomever they are) eat them?

They can eat them, but might not like them or choose to eat them, just as a

vegan could eat meat but chooses not to.

> will they curl up and die if they eat string beans?

That's not a good example because if a vegan eat a lump of meat they would

not curl up and die either.

If we expect other people to make a special effort for us to accommodate our

(what seems to them) strange ways then shouldn't we be expected to make a

special effort to accommodate (what seems to us) their strange ways. How

can we think we are right to expect the rules to suit us from both angles?

Or might it be better to eat the salad, and take along some nuts for

protein. Presumably you will have gone along to the gathering because you

like the people, not just to get a free meal.

If you can't get my point I am obviously not making it very well. I am not

saying that meat-eaters are right to eat meat, merely pointing out that

maybe we expect more than we are prepared to give.

Jo

>

>

>

> if i knew someone who beat puppies, am i just suppose to play by their

rules when i see em?

>

>

> jo <jo.heartwork

> Nov 30, 2005 9:58 AM

>

> Re: Re: Dining out-rant

>

> I reckon it's a good idea to always take a bag of mixed nuts with you when

> eating out - then if there is no protein in the dish you are given you can

> eat the nuts and tell them that vegans need protein too and the meal

doesn't

> have any!

>

> This is not a suggestion or an adverse comment either - it is just an

> anomaly that I haven't reconciled in my mind yet. We say 'when people

visit

> us they eat what we cook (i.e. no animal ingredients) and yet we complain

> when they won't cook food different to their normal food for us. Surely

if

> we expect them to cook special food for our tastes, we should cook food

for

> them for their tastes. As I said, I am not suggesting that we all cook

> meat, cheese etc for our guests, but bearing this in mind, can we really

ask

> them to cook special food for us?

>

> Jo

> -

> " herbvalerian " <herbvalerian

>

> Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:24 PM

> Re: Dining out-rant

>

>

> > Hi,

> > This can be a difficult one.

> > I rarely go out to restaurants because there are no exclusively

vegetarian

> restaurants

> > round here, tho we have a couple of vegetarian cafes and a pub which is

> supposed to be

> > vegetarian.

> > Fortunately my other half is trying to be vegan and is totally

vegetarian

> so we don't have

> > conflict about where we go.

> > When we do go out we usually go to to British Indian restaurants as they

> seem to

> > understand about the ethics of vegetarians and will check the

ingredients.

> They always

> > have a vegtarian section on the menus. Our local indian restaurant has

a

> vegetarian chef.

> > He makes me a special dish I ask for (spinach and lentil curry) which is

> not on the menu. If

> > we are going somehere new we usually phone ahead to check they have

> something and if

> > they seem funny on the phone we don't go.

> > I have not been to a meat based restaurant in many years, in fact I

cannot

> remember it

> > must have been so long ago. In fact I am not sure I have ever been to

one

> as I have been a

> > veggie for 24 years now, all my adult life. I too would be concerned

about

> utensils if I went

> > to a meat based restaurant, it is the main reason I would not go to one.

> > It is a really good idea to phone ahead when eating out and check. If

> there is nothing for

> > you there be

> > assertive with your family and find a better restaurant. " Let your

fingers

> do the walking "

> > through the phone book and make some calls! You have to convince the

> family that you

> > are going to decide where to eat because they can eat anywhere, you

can't!

> Once you do

> > this a few times you will be able to build up a list of places where you

> know you can eat

> > safely and the staff will remember you, particularly if you are polite.

> Stay away from fast

> > food places unless you know one where you can get what you want. I don't

> know about the

> > kitchens but the staff change too much to get to know you.

> > If you are just eating salads and steamed veggies you are not going to

be

> getting a

> > balanced diet. Vegans need nuts, tofu, beans etc.

> > We attended a freind's wedding reception a while ago. The only thing

they

> gave me was a

> > plain salad. I was disgusted, it as the worst meal I had had out in my

> entire life, but of

> > course I could not say any thing for risk of offending the bride and

> groom.

> > Mostly we eat at home with home cooked stuff. I often eat at my next

door

> neighbour's

> > house. She is an arabic muslim and she understands about dietary

> restrictions. I make a

> > curry or a stew or similar main course dish to take there and she makes

> some rice and

> > salad to go with it, and we have a great time stuffing our faces. She

> often

> > cooks stuff for me and brings it round in a pot. At first I think she

> cooked it in the same

> > pot as meat but she knows better now as I have trained her mind on this.

> > I hope you don't mind me asking but don't you find it difficult living

> with meat eaters?

> > Most of my friends are either veggie or veggie friendly. I could not

cook

> meat for anyone,

> > no way. If non vegans come round for a meal they get what we eat.

> > Also, you say you are the only vegan you know of. This must be really

> hard. If you could

> > find some other Vegans it wuld give you moral support. Perhaps yo could

> find out if there

> > are any groups in your area and join. Sometimes you can find vegans in

> related

> > organisations. I know a few through a wholefood co-op I am in. Also I

know

> some

> > vegetarians through friends who introduced me to them.

> > If you tell the group the area you live in, they may be able to suggest

> where to find other

> > vegans.

> > Let us know how you get on.

> > Herb,

> > Tyneside,

> > UK

> > , " Sandi " <sandisweeti13132001>

> wrote:

> > >

> > > I was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you

> > > find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all

> > > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed

> > > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about

> > > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens

> > > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items

> > > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home

> > > then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I

> > > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier

> > > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate

> > > the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being

> > > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding

> > > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot

> > > as a meat product was cooked it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone

> > > else feel like me

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

Guest guest

There seems to be a fast food joint on every corner out here,I just wish to see a vegan one here and there,if I choose to drive over 90min. I could eat at a vegan place,but w/ two kids(26mos./9mos.)its tougher for the long drivefraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: eh vegan fast food bugs me there's a certain mind set to *fast* food..a certain level of "its ok to waste alot" attitude... sandi gordon Nov 30, 2005 10:16 AM Re: Re: Dining out-rant I think restaurants assume everyone is a meat and dairy eater,they don't have enough options for us vegans. I

do wish there were vegan fast food joints it would be great to go through a drive through to pick up a vegan hamburger/chicken/etc. Don't need no politician Tell me things I ought to be Neither no optician Tell me what I ought to see No one tells you nothing Even when you know they know They tell you what you should be They don't like to see you grow

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

Guest guest

That's what I would do, or take my own food with me. I hardly ever visit anyone to have a meal - I'd rather eat out at a veggie restaurant, or eat at home.

Jo

-

sandi gordon

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:15 PM

I guess I feel guilty asking people to cook for me,so I try to make all my food even at their homesfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: ah..but are they really cooking special foods?why are they special?can *they*(whomever they are) eat them?will they curl up and die if they eat string beans?if i knew someone who beat puppies, am i just suppose to play by their rules when i see em? jo <jo.heartworkNov 30, 2005 9:58 AM Subject: Re: Re: Dining out-rantI reckon it's a good idea to always take a bag of mixed nuts with you wheneating out - then if there is no protein in the dish you are given you caneat the nuts and tell them that vegans need protein too and the meal doesn'thave any!This is not a suggestion or an adverse comment either - it is just ananomaly that I haven't reconciled in my mind yet. We say 'when people visitus they eat what we cook (i.e. no animal ingredients) and yet we complainwhen they won't cook food different to their normal food for us. Surely ifwe expect them to cook special food for our tastes, we should cook food forthem for their tastes. As I said, I am not suggesting that we all cookmeat, cheese etc for our guests, but bearing this in mind, can we really askthem to cook special food for us?Jo-"herbvalerian" <herbvalerianWednesday, November 30, 2005 5:24 PM Re: Dining out-rant> Hi,> This can be a difficult one.> I rarely go out to restaurants because there are no exclusively vegetarianrestaurants> round here, tho we have a couple of vegetarian cafes and a pub which issupposed to be> vegetarian.> Fortunately my other half is trying to be vegan and is totally vegetarianso we don't have> conflict about where we go.> When we do go out we usually go to to British Indian restaurants as theyseem to> understand about the ethics of vegetarians and will check the ingredients.They always> have a vegtarian section on the menus. Our local indian restaurant has avegetarian chef.> He makes me a special dish I ask for (spinach and lentil curry) which isnot on the menu. If> we are going somehere new we usually phone ahead to check they havesomething and if> they seem funny on the phone we don't go.> I have not been to a meat based restaurant in many years, in fact I cannotremember it> must have been so long ago. In fact I am not sure I have ever been to oneas I have been a> veggie for 24 years now, all my adult life. I too would be concerned aboututensils if I went> to a meat based restaurant, it is the main reason I would not go to one.> It is a really good idea to phone ahead when eating out and check. Ifthere is nothing for> you there be> assertive with your family and find a better restaurant. "Let your fingersdo the walking"> through the phone book and make some calls! You have to convince thefamily that you> are going to decide where to eat because they can eat anywhere, you can't!Once you do> this a few times you will be able to build up a list of places where youknow you can eat> safely and the staff will remember you, particularly if you are polite.Stay away from fast> food places unless you know one where you can get what you want. I don'tknow about the> kitchens but the staff change too much to get to know you.> If you are just eating salads and steamed veggies you are not going to begetting a> balanced diet. Vegans need nuts, tofu, beans etc.> We attended a freind's wedding reception a while ago. The only thing theygave me was a> plain salad. I was disgusted, it as the worst meal I had had out in myentire life, but of> course I could not say any thing for risk of offending the bride andgroom.> Mostly we eat at home with home cooked stuff. I often eat at my next doorneighbour's> house. She is an arabic muslim and she understands about dietaryrestrictions. I make a> curry or a stew or similar main course dish to take there and she makessome rice and> salad to go with it, and we have a great time stuffing our faces. Sheoften> cooks stuff for me and brings it round in a pot. At first I think shecooked it in the same> pot as meat but she knows better now as I have trained her mind on this.> I hope you don't mind me asking but don't you find it difficult livingwith meat eaters?> Most of my friends are either veggie or veggie friendly. I could not cookmeat for anyone,> no way. If non vegans come round for a meal they get what we eat.> Also, you say you are the only vegan you know of. This must be reallyhard. If you could> find some other Vegans it wuld give you moral support. Perhaps yo couldfind out if there> are any groups in your area and join. Sometimes you can find vegans inrelated> organisations. I know a few through a wholefood co-op I am in. Also I knowsome> vegetarians through friends who introduced me to them.> If you tell the group the area you live in, they may be able to suggestwhere to find other> vegans.> Let us know how you get on.> Herb,> Tyneside,> UK> , "Sandi" <sandisweeti13132001>wrote:> >> > I was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you> > find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all> > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed> > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about> > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens> > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items> > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home> > then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I> > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier> > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate> > the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being> > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding> > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot> > as a meat product was cooked it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone> > else feel like me> >>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

You are right. Most normal restaurants are not very good with vegetarian food, and don't seem to know much about vegan food. If you can find vegetarian restaurants they are usually in the know about vegan food.

We do have a couple of veggie/vegan fast food chains over here. Our favourite was V1 in Nottingham, but it has unfortunately closed. There is Red Veg, although I've never been there, and there is another one which does vegan Chinese takeaway.

I hope you find good places to eat soon.

Jo

-

sandi gordon

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:16 PM

I think restaurants assume everyone is a meat and dairy eater,they don't have enough options for us vegans.

I do wish there were vegan fast food joints it would be great to go through a drive through to pick up a vegan hamburger/chicken/etc.herbvalerian <herbvalerian wrote:

, Susan <oceanfest_2000> wrote:>> I'm a new vegan and I find eating out a challenge but> not impossible. I ask, ask, ask and learn in the> process (sometimes I get tired of asking and eat at> home). One example is with the sub sandwich> experience. Since I know they prepare meat on the> cutting board, I ask them to put a paper down first> (and now I wonder how long they use the> meat-contaminated board before they change it out). IHi,I sometimes cook a vegan meal in our community cafe. There is always someone with a food hygeine certificate there. They explained to me about colour coded chopping boards. One colour is for chopping meat, another colour for fish (?) another for veggies, etc. Legally restaurants in UK are supposed to have a food hygene certificate which means they use this system and would not be using the same board for meat and veggies, unless they were very poor standard.

PersonalsSingle? There's someone we'd like you to meet.Lots of someones, actually. Personals

Guest guest

I guess we are all different. I know a veggie person whose family are meateaters. She always cooks stews etc. and then just removes the meat for her portion. Now, I wouldn't like to do that, but she says that she hasn't paid for meat for her, so she's not causing extra animal deaths, and I guess she is right really.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:56 PM

i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at any place that uses the same pots and such for meat as well as veggies...everyone draws the line at different places...and, to me there is a major difference between stepping behind a carnivore, and eating off the same pan that has been used countless times to baste some dead critter....heartwerk Nov 30, 2005 8:30 AM Subject: Re: Dining out-rantI think it is possible to be too sensitive. I can't see any problem with eating food prepared in any utensil as long as it has been thoroughly washed. If you take that sort of thought further you might not want to go out of your house because people who eat meat have walked on the ground that you would walk on, and it would be somewhat of a joyless life.I agree with asking questions about how the food is prepared if you go to an omnivorous restaurant, and avoiding places that don't use cleaned utensils etc.JoDon't need no politicianTell me things I ought to be Neither no opticianTell me what I ought to seeNo one tells you nothingEven when you know they knowThey tell you what you should beThey don't like to see you grow

Guest guest

I personally think we are all special, and I think you are over reacting. Perhaps you think that I should boot out my wife for eating dead things, and maybe my kids too for being mere vegetarians, while I am at it why dont I flagelate myself for feeding my cats dead animals in a tin?

Integration, not segregation please. We may have different beliefs and lifestyles, but we all need to get along.

No-one is asking for you to compromise your beliefs and eat an animal limb now and again, just let the ones that do ( if they must)For all you know , there could be Fruitarians out there tut tuting at you right now! and wishing to exclude you from their air space!

Sits down and waits for the next barrage!

The Valley Vegan....................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

sorry joi disagree with every fiber of my being.....my diet isn't *special*...i don't eat anything that comes from an animali don't want anything that comes from another animalthats torture...thats cruel...eh..you know wot i mean...*accomodating* someone how ate meat in my place would be akin to allowing a murderer to go right ahead and kill someone in my place..i mean.. its wot he does..i have to be accomodating...jo Nov 30, 2005 10:31 AM Subject: Re: Re: Dining out-rant> ah..but are they really cooking special foods?If it is something they would not normally cook for themselves or for theirother friends at a party/bbq - then yes it would be special food, just as avegan cooking meat would be cooking

something special for someone else.> why are they special?Maybe special is not a word that has made my meaning clear. Maybe I shouldhave said different to their normal food.> can *they*(whomever they are) eat them?They can eat them, but might not like them or choose to eat them, just as avegan could eat meat but chooses not to.> will they curl up and die if they eat string beans?That's not a good example because if a vegan eat a lump of meat they wouldnot curl up and die either.If we expect other people to make a special effort for us to accommodate our(what seems to them) strange ways then shouldn't we be expected to make aspecial effort to accommodate (what seems to us) their strange ways. Howcan we think we are right to expect the rules to suit us from both angles?Or might it be better to eat the salad, and take along some nuts forprotein. Presumably you will have gone along to the gathering

because youlike the people, not just to get a free meal.If you can't get my point I am obviously not making it very well. I am notsaying that meat-eaters are right to eat meat, merely pointing out thatmaybe we expect more than we are prepared to give.Jo>>>> if i knew someone who beat puppies, am i just suppose to play by theirrules when i see em?>> > jo > Nov 30, 2005 9:58 AM> > Re: Re: Dining out-rant>> I reckon it's a good idea to always take a bag of mixed nuts with you when> eating out - then if there is no protein in the dish you are given you can> eat the nuts and tell them that vegans need protein too and the mealdoesn't> have any!>> This is not a suggestion or an adverse comment either - it is just an>

anomaly that I haven't reconciled in my mind yet. We say 'when peoplevisit> us they eat what we cook (i.e. no animal ingredients) and yet we complain> when they won't cook food different to their normal food for us. Surelyif> we expect them to cook special food for our tastes, we should cook foodfor> them for their tastes. As I said, I am not suggesting that we all cook> meat, cheese etc for our guests, but bearing this in mind, can we reallyask> them to cook special food for us?>> Jo> -> "herbvalerian" > > Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:24 PM> Re: Dining out-rant>>> > Hi,> > This can be a difficult one.> > I rarely go out to restaurants because there are no exclusivelyvegetarian> restaurants> >

round here, tho we have a couple of vegetarian cafes and a pub which is> supposed to be> > vegetarian.> > Fortunately my other half is trying to be vegan and is totallyvegetarian> so we don't have> > conflict about where we go.> > When we do go out we usually go to to British Indian restaurants as they> seem to> > understand about the ethics of vegetarians and will check theingredients.> They always> > have a vegtarian section on the menus. Our local indian restaurant hasa> vegetarian chef.> > He makes me a special dish I ask for (spinach and lentil curry) which is> not on the menu. If> > we are going somehere new we usually phone ahead to check they have> something and if> > they seem funny on the phone we don't go.> > I have not been to a meat based restaurant in many years, in fact Icannot> remember it>

> must have been so long ago. In fact I am not sure I have ever been toone> as I have been a> > veggie for 24 years now, all my adult life. I too would be concernedabout> utensils if I went> > to a meat based restaurant, it is the main reason I would not go to one.> > It is a really good idea to phone ahead when eating out and check. If> there is nothing for> > you there be> > assertive with your family and find a better restaurant. "Let yourfingers> do the walking"> > through the phone book and make some calls! You have to convince the> family that you> > are going to decide where to eat because they can eat anywhere, youcan't!> Once you do> > this a few times you will be able to build up a list of places where you> know you can eat> > safely and the staff will remember you, particularly if you are polite.> Stay away

from fast> > food places unless you know one where you can get what you want. I don't> know about the> > kitchens but the staff change too much to get to know you.> > If you are just eating salads and steamed veggies you are not going tobe> getting a> > balanced diet. Vegans need nuts, tofu, beans etc.> > We attended a freind's wedding reception a while ago. The only thingthey> gave me was a> > plain salad. I was disgusted, it as the worst meal I had had out in my> entire life, but of> > course I could not say any thing for risk of offending the bride and> groom.> > Mostly we eat at home with home cooked stuff. I often eat at my nextdoor> neighbour's> > house. She is an arabic muslim and she understands about dietary> restrictions. I make a> > curry or a stew or similar main course dish to take there and she makes>

some rice and> > salad to go with it, and we have a great time stuffing our faces. She> often> > cooks stuff for me and brings it round in a pot. At first I think she> cooked it in the same> > pot as meat but she knows better now as I have trained her mind on this.> > I hope you don't mind me asking but don't you find it difficult living> with meat eaters?> > Most of my friends are either veggie or veggie friendly. I could notcook> meat for anyone,> > no way. If non vegans come round for a meal they get what we eat.> > Also, you say you are the only vegan you know of. This must be really> hard. If you could> > find some other Vegans it wuld give you moral support. Perhaps yo could> find out if there> > are any groups in your area and join. Sometimes you can find vegans in> related> > organisations. I know a few through a wholefood

co-op I am in. Also Iknow> some> > vegetarians through friends who introduced me to them.> > If you tell the group the area you live in, they may be able to suggest> where to find other> > vegans.> > Let us know how you get on.> > Herb,> > Tyneside,> > UK> > , "Sandi" > wrote:> > >> > > I was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you> > > find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all> > > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed> > > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about> > > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens> > > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items>

> > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home> > > then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I> > > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier> > > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate> > > the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being> > > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding> > > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot> > > as a meat product was cooked it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone> > > else feel like me> > >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

you have to order yer oxygen special in a bar here peter hurd Nov 30, 2005 11:09 AM Re: Re: Dining out-rant

Did he bring his own oxygen as well?

The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Guest guest

I agree there is way too much waste not just in restuarants but in supermarkets also, and whilst I appreciate the idea of Freegans, I fear that most of their diet is payed for.

The Valley Vegan..........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

eh

vegan fast food bugs me

there's a certain mind set to *fast* food..a certain level of "its ok to waste alot" attitude... sandi gordon Nov 30, 2005 10:16 AM Re: Re: Dining out-rant

I do wish there were vegan fast food joints it would be great to go through a drive through to pick up a vegan hamburger/chicken/etc.

Don't need no politician

Tell me things I ought to be Neither no optician

Tell me what I ought to see

No one tells you nothing

Even when you know they know

They tell you what you should be

They don't like to see you growPeter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Guest guest

like i said..everyone is different...

every takes things differently

one of the reasons my last major relationship soured was because my then partner stopped being vegan...

she might as well have said "hey, i think i'm gonna be racist now"

it amounts to the same thing in my book...

ruby is vegan,,...i give her the ebst diet i can

lickey is not

why?

cuz he's headin fer 17 yrs of age, and is a finisky little bugger..try feeding him vegan cat fud, and he just turned up his nose and walked away

after many aborted attempts, and him losing a lot of weight, i gave up

do i feel bad..yup....

not much else i can do about it tho...

but..i can do something about someone else eatin something dead in my haus..and i can do something about me serving something dead...

I personally think we are all special, and I think you are over reacting. Perhaps you think that I should boot out my wife for eating dead things, and maybe my kids too for being mere vegetarians, while I am at it why dont I flagelate myself for feeding my cats dead animals in a tin?

Integration, not segregation please. We may have different beliefs and lifestyles, but we all need to get along.

No-one is asking for you to compromise your beliefs and eat an animal limb now and again, just let the ones that do ( if they must)For all you know , there could be Fruitarians out there tut tuting at you right now! and wishing to exclude you from their air space!

Sits down and waits for the next barrage!

The Valley Vegan....................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

sorry joi disagree with every fiber of my being.....my diet isn't *special*...i don't eat anything that comes from an animali don't want anything that comes from another animalthats torture...thats cruel...eh..you know wot i mean...*accomodating* someone how ate meat in my place would be akin to allowing a murderer to go right ahead and kill someone in my place..i mean.. its wot he does..i have to be accomodating...jo Nov 30, 2005 10:31 AM Subject: Re: Re: Dining out-rant> ah..but are they really cooking special foods?If it is something they would not normally cook for themselves or for theirother friends at a party/bbq - then yes it would be special food, just as avegan cooking meat would be cooking something special for someone else.> why are they special?Maybe special is not a word that has made my meaning clear. Maybe I shouldhave said different to their normal food.> can *they*(whomever they are) eat them?They can eat them, but might not like them or choose to eat them, just as avegan could eat meat but chooses not to.> will they curl up and die if they eat string beans?That's not a good example because if a vegan eat a lump of meat they wouldnot curl up and die either.If we expect other people to make a special effort for us to accommodate our(what seems to them) strange ways then shouldn't we be expected to make aspecial effort to accommodate (what seems to us) their strange ways. Howcan we think we are right to expect the rules to suit us from both angles?Or might it be better to eat the salad, and take along some nuts forprotein. Presumably you will have gone along to the gathering because youlike the people, not just to get a free meal.If you can't get my point I am obviously not making it very well. I am notsaying that meat-eaters are right to eat meat, merely pointing out thatmaybe we expect more than we are prepared to give.Jo>>>> if i knew someone who beat puppies, am i just suppose to play by theirrules when i see em?>> > jo > Nov 30, 2005 9:58 AM> > Re: Re: Dining out-rant>> I reckon it's a good idea to always take a bag of mixed nuts with you when> eating out - then if there is no protein in the dish you are given you can> eat the nuts and tell them that vegans need protein too and the mealdoesn't> have any!>> This is not a suggestion or an adverse comment either - it is just an> anomaly that I haven't reconciled in my mind yet. We say 'when peoplevisit> us they eat what we cook (i.e. no animal ingredients) and yet we complain> when they won't cook food different to their normal food for us. Surelyif> we expect them to cook special food for our tastes, we should cook foodfor> them for their tastes. As I said, I am not suggesting that we all cook> meat, cheese etc for our guests, but bearing this in mind, can we reallyask> them to cook special food for us?>> Jo> -> "herbvalerian" > > Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:24 PM> Re: Dining out-rant>>> > Hi,> > This can be a difficult one.> > I rarely go out to restaurants because there are no exclusivelyvegetarian> restaurants> > round here, tho we have a couple of vegetarian cafes and a pub which is> supposed to be> > vegetarian.> > Fortunately my other half is trying to be vegan and is totallyvegetarian> so we don't have> > conflict about where we go.> > When we do go out we usually go to to British Indian restaurants as they> seem to> > understand about the ethics of vegetarians and will check theingredients.> They always> > have a vegtarian section on the menus. Our local indian restaurant hasa> vegetarian chef.> > He makes me a special dish I ask for (spinach and lentil curry) which is> not on the menu. If> > we are going somehere new we usually phone ahead to check they have> something and if> > they seem funny on the phone we don't go.> > I have not been to a meat based restaurant in many years, in fact Icannot> remember it> > must have been so long ago. In fact I am not sure I have ever been toone> as I have been a> > veggie for 24 years now, all my adult life. I too would be concernedabout> utensils if I went> > to a meat based restaurant, it is the main reason I would not go to one.> > It is a really good idea to phone ahead when eating out and check. If> there is nothing for> > you there be> > assertive with your family and find a better restaurant. "Let yourfingers> do the walking"> > through the phone book and make some calls! You have to convince the> family that you> > are going to decide where to eat because they can eat anywhere, youcan't!> Once you do> > this a few times you will be able to build up a list of places where you> know you can eat> > safely and the staff will remember you, particularly if you are polite.> Stay away from fast> > food places unless you know one where you can get what you want. I don't> know about the> > kitchens but the staff change too much to get to know you.> > If you are just eating salads and steamed veggies you are not going tobe> getting a> > balanced diet. Vegans need nuts, tofu, beans etc.> > We attended a freind's wedding reception a while ago. The only thingthey> gave me was a> > plain salad. I was disgusted, it as the worst meal I had had out in my> entire life, but of> > course I could not say any thing for risk of offending the bride and> groom.> > Mostly we eat at home with home cooked stuff. I often eat at my nextdoor> neighbour's> > house. She is an arabic muslim and she understands about dietary> restrictions. I make a> > curry or a stew or similar main course dish to take there and she makes> some rice and> > salad to go with it, and we have a great time stuffing our faces. She> often> > cooks stuff for me and brings it round in a pot. At first I think she> cooked it in the same> > pot as meat but she knows better now as I have trained her mind on this.> > I hope you don't mind me asking but don't you find it difficult living> with meat eaters?> > Most of my friends are either veggie or veggie friendly. I could notcook> meat for anyone,> > no way. If non vegans come round for a meal they get what we eat.> > Also, you say you are the only vegan you know of. This must be really> hard. If you could> > find some other Vegans it wuld give you moral support. Perhaps yo could> find out if there> > are any groups in your area and join. Sometimes you can find vegans in> related> > organisations. I know a few through a wholefood co-op I am in. Also Iknow> some> > vegetarians through friends who introduced me to them.> > If you tell the group the area you live in, they may be able to suggest> where to find other> > vegans.> > Let us know how you get on.> > Herb,> > Tyneside,> > UK> > , "Sandi" > wrote:> > >> > > I was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you> > > find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all> > > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed> > > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about> > > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens> > > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items> > > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home> > > then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I> > > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier> > > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate> > > the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being> > > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding> > > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot> > > as a meat product was cooked it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone> > > else feel like me> > >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > To send an email to - > >