IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Dining out-rant

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have found that most people, whether they are vegetarian, vegans, or

omnivores, think

factory farming is disgusting and vile. It is also against some peoples religion

because of

the cages (the Koran forbids caging animals). So remember to educate your

childen about

factory farming and that most meat sold in supermarkets and fast food outlets is

from

factory farms.

, sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001>

wrote:

>

> we will raise the kids to know my eating habits and my hubbys and we will see

what the

kids decide,I can't make them do anything they don't want to,all I do know is I

will make a

variety of foods for them

>

> jo <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote: They may well choose to be vegetarian

as they

grow up. Unfortunately quite a few people who are brought up vegan from birth

take up

eating meat when they go off to university, or leave home for other reasons. I

know

several people like that.

>

> Jo

> -

> sandi gordon

>

> Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:13 PM

> Re: Re: Dining out-rant

>

>

> I try to keep a kosher/jewish home-no pork,shell fish,etc.I know that might

sound bad

to some but I want my kids to know what my bible says about the kosher laws,I

would love

for them to choose to be vegetarians,but we will let them decide on their own,I

decided at

13y/o

>

> serene <lists@s...> wrote:

> On Wed, November 30, 2005 1:52 pm, sandi gordon said:

> > I make my hubby rinse his mouth out before we get into heavy petty,if its

> > just a little smooch then I just make him wipe his lips,sure that might

> > sound over the top but heck do I want to taset animal flesh-he is great

> > about it,no big deal to our marriage

>

> I only do that if it's James's stinky fish snacks or pork rinds. Those

> things taste so BAD.

>

> serene

>

>

>

>

> Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hey nuff said. Its your house you make the rules. As to what is "fair", well thats interpretation isn`t it? The Valley Vegan..............herbvalerian <herbvalerian wrote: My rules in my house go like this:I will cook no meat for anyone.I will not allow meat to be serveed in my house. I pay the rent and I control the kitchen!However if someone wants cheese with their meal, they can bring their own cheese and I will serve it for them. But no meat. If they want to eat meat with me, they can cook a meat meal at their house and and some vegan food for me. If they can't do it, I cook at home and take it over there. Or we will eat out at a place where we can all get what we want. My other half's family are meat eaters and my parents aren't vegans. We have vegan, veggie

and omnivorous friends. They don't think its odd.Those are my rules which work for me and my other half, other vegans can have their own rules. But as far as I can see, if a householder is the main cook in the kitchen, he or she decides what gets cooked there, meat, dairy or whatnot, they choose. Its only fair. , peter hurd wrote:>> I`m sorry, but if someone served me food on a paper plate, I would probably feel annoyed.Why not put a Big sign above theor chair as well marked "MEAT EATER" For gods sake, you do wash your plates don`t you? I think that this kind of behaviour is a little hypocritical, after all us vegans hate being singled out at meal times don`t we?, so why do it back? don`t make sense to me. I guess that you dont share a house with a carnie?> > The Valley Vegan....................................> For the true who've remained and the new

blood.> Motivation, undying allegiance> Striving through the hardships and affliction. > Every drop of blood> Every bitter tear> Every bead of sweat> I live for this > > > sandi gordon wrote:> when I go to my families house/in laws house they will make food for me that is vegan friendly(veggies/salad/fruit)I don't ask them to go out of their way to make me a tofu meal(they wouldn't know how to anyway).I am not much of a cook so if we have people here at the house we order in food(that I don't eat),we use paper plates for them> > jo wrote: I reckon it's a good idea to always take a bag of mixed nuts with you when> eating out - then if there is no protein in the dish you are given you can> eat the nuts and tell them that vegans need protein too and the meal doesn't> have any!> > This is not a suggestion or

an adverse comment either - it is just an> anomaly that I haven't reconciled in my mind yet. We say 'when people visit> us they eat what we cook (i.e. no animal ingredients) and yet we complain> when they won't cook food different to their normal food for us. Surely if> we expect them to cook special food for our tastes, we should cook food for> them for their tastes. As I said, I am not suggesting that we all cook> meat, cheese etc for our guests, but bearing this in mind, can we really ask> them to cook special food for us?> > Jo> -> "herbvalerian" > > Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:24 PM> Re: Dining out-rant> > > > Hi,> > This can be a difficult one.> > I rarely go out to restaurants because there are no exclusively

vegetarian> restaurants> > round here, tho we have a couple of vegetarian cafes and a pub which is> supposed to be> > vegetarian.> > Fortunately my other half is trying to be vegan and is totally vegetarian> so we don't have> > conflict about where we go.> > When we do go out we usually go to to British Indian restaurants as they> seem to> > understand about the ethics of vegetarians and will check the ingredients.> They always> > have a vegtarian section on the menus. Our local indian restaurant has a> vegetarian chef.> > He makes me a special dish I ask for (spinach and lentil curry) which is> not on the menu. If> > we are going somehere new we usually phone ahead to check they have> something and if> > they seem funny on the phone we don't go.> > I have not been to a meat based restaurant in many years, in fact I

cannot> remember it> > must have been so long ago. In fact I am not sure I have ever been to one> as I have been a> > veggie for 24 years now, all my adult life. I too would be concerned about> utensils if I went> > to a meat based restaurant, it is the main reason I would not go to one.> > It is a really good idea to phone ahead when eating out and check. If> there is nothing for> > you there be> > assertive with your family and find a better restaurant. "Let your fingers> do the walking"> > through the phone book and make some calls! You have to convince the> family that you> > are going to decide where to eat because they can eat anywhere, you can't!> Once you do> > this a few times you will be able to build up a list of places where you> know you can eat> > safely and the staff will remember you, particularly if you are

polite.> Stay away from fast> > food places unless you know one where you can get what you want. I don't> know about the> > kitchens but the staff change too much to get to know you.> > If you are just eating salads and steamed veggies you are not going to be> getting a> > balanced diet. Vegans need nuts, tofu, beans etc.> > We attended a freind's wedding reception a while ago. The only thing they> gave me was a> > plain salad. I was disgusted, it as the worst meal I had had out in my> entire life, but of> > course I could not say any thing for risk of offending the bride and> groom.> > Mostly we eat at home with home cooked stuff. I often eat at my next door> neighbour's> > house. She is an arabic muslim and she understands about dietary> restrictions. I make a> > curry or a stew or similar main course dish to take there and she

makes> some rice and> > salad to go with it, and we have a great time stuffing our faces. She> often> > cooks stuff for me and brings it round in a pot. At first I think she> cooked it in the same> > pot as meat but she knows better now as I have trained her mind on this.> > I hope you don't mind me asking but don't you find it difficult living> with meat eaters?> > Most of my friends are either veggie or veggie friendly. I could not cook> meat for anyone,> > no way. If non vegans come round for a meal they get what we eat.> > Also, you say you are the only vegan you know of. This must be really> hard. If you could> > find some other Vegans it wuld give you moral support. Perhaps yo could> find out if there> > are any groups in your area and join. Sometimes you can find vegans in> related> > organisations. I know a few through a

wholefood co-op I am in. Also I know> some> > vegetarians through friends who introduced me to them.> > If you tell the group the area you live in, they may be able to suggest> where to find other> > vegans.> > Let us know how you get on.> > Herb,> > Tyneside,> > UK> > , "Sandi" > wrote:> > >> > > I was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you> > > find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all> > > meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed> > > veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about> > > the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens> > > maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same

items> > > to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home> > > then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I> > > live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier> > > to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate> > > the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being> > > a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding> > > cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot> > > as a meat product was cooked it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone> > > else feel like me> > >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

Better in what way exactly to a vegan? The Valley Vegan...............sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001 wrote: my hubby likes el pollo loco,he eats it maybe 2-3times a month,hey its better then fried kfc stuff.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: el pollo loco is a fast food chain out here..yes..it means the crazy chicken...mostly in the southwest they are known fer their marinated chicken things......................... peter hurd Dec 1, 2005 10:50 AM Subject:

Re: Dining out-rant What the hell is pollo loco? some sort of mad mint? mad chicken? The Valley Vegan.............. My brain is in my other trouserssandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001 wrote: I wouldn't know I don't eat at el pollo loco,my family doesfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: hey..ya got something and its still gotta be better then el pollo loco! :) sandi gordon Nov 30, 2005 4:04 PM To:

Re: Dining out-rant yes thank you for telling me that(duh),but they aren't the best place to shop/eat atfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: well..ya gots the Whole wheatery! :) sandi gordon Nov 30, 2005 10:20 AM Re: Dining out-rant I choose el pollo loco cause I am not a cook and its healthier animal stuff for the family,for channuka we are at my families house. I live in a city that has like no vegetarians/vegans(the antelope valley,calif.) fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: i think i'm just a weird lucky anomalynever have any difficulty at all eating out around here(SF bay Area)tons of veggie/vegan restaurants..and, most places know wot vegansim is around hereel polo loco...fer thanxfernuthin...strange.....heading to burger king fer x-mas?:)places that specialize in dead animals, i think yer just as* out.....but..any other place(not a fast food place er a corporate chain like applebys) you should get wot you want by asking...u could always say"i'm allergic"that'll scare em....lawsuits and all thatcheersfraggleSandi <sandisweeti13132001Nov 30, 2005 6:13 AM Subject: Dining

out-rantI was wondering to all the vegans(I am one for over 11 yrs.)do you find it tough to eat out at restuarants?my hubby and relatives are all meat eaters and we go out to eat,I usually order-garden salad/steamed veggies,fruit plate(stuff like that),but I have a constant worry about the way the chefs prepare the foods w/ the pots/pans/utensils/ovens maybe they are mixing things w/ the meat stuff or using the same items to prepare the foods????I rather not eat out,I usually eat at home then go out w/ them and not eat a thing or pack my own stuff.Where I live I am like the only vegan I know of.Any advice to make it easier to socialize-for thanksgiving my family got el pollo loco I just ate the food I had at home,come on I can't trust them right....since being a veagn not vegetarian I find a trust issue a big thing regarding cooking items(I don't want my vegan stuff to be cooked in the same pot as a meat product was cooked

it a few hours ago)thank you all anyone else feel like meTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Yah, that's true. I do love them, though!Ha!

Thankfully, I don't rely on mushrooms for all my

protein! I might grow to be very tired of them. :-)

Susan

--- heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

> 100gms of mushroom is a large portion though -

> mushrooms are very

> light. You would have to eat a lot of them to get

> your protein

> supply.

>

> Jo

>

> , Susan

> <oceanfest_2000> wrote:

> >

> > According to the USDA searchable food composition

> link

> > below,

> >

> > http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

> >

> > there is 4.9 grams of protien in 100 grams of

> grilled

> > portabella mushroom. Not bad! (I love this

> > database--and one other I also use; I just noticed

> > that there is a category in there for fast food,

> > also). Susan

> >

> >

> > --- peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> >

> > > Surely the mushrooms are a fairly good protien?

> > >

> > > Susan <oceanfest_2000> wrote:Earlier this

> > > year I wanted to take my mother to a

> > > fancy French restaurant for her birthday. I

> called

> > > ahead and explained that I was vegan and asked

> what

> > > they could do. Even though I had called ahead,

> when

> > > I

> > > got there, they had apparently forgotten. They

> were

> > > really good about picking up the ball and

> rolling

> > > with

> > > it, though. (There were no vegan choices on the

> menu

> > > except salad and I told them I wanted more than

> > > salad.) The chef did a wonderful job of putting

> > > together a delicious dish with marinated

> portabello

> > > mushrooms and veggies--it was so good I wanted

> to

> > > lick

> > > the plate! I sent compliments to the chef and he

> > > said

> > > he enjoyed putting it together. As for the

> protein?

> > > I

> > > can eat that at home if they forget that part.

> It's

> > > just one meal and I don't feel that I need

> protein

> > > at

> > > every meal. Susan

> > >

> > > --- sandi gordon

> > > wrote:

> > >

> > > > True what is the proetin we get when we go to

> a

> > > > restuarant?beans???I wouldn't eat beans at a

> > > > restuarant cause they flavor them w/ pork etc.

> you

> > > > never know what the hidden ingrediants are

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > To send an email to

> > > -

> > >

Guest guest

I thought mushrooms were a good source of protein?

Susan <oceanfest_2000> wrote:

>

> Earlier this year I wanted to take my mother to a

> fancy French restaurant for her birthday. I called

> ahead and explained that I was vegan and asked what

> they could do. Even though I had called ahead, when I

> got there, they had apparently forgotten. They were

> really good about picking up the ball and rolling with

> it, though. (There were no vegan choices on the menu

> except salad and I told them I wanted more than

> salad.) The chef did a wonderful job of putting

> together a delicious dish with marinated portabello

> mushrooms and veggies--it was so good I wanted to lick

> the plate! I sent compliments to the chef and he said

> he enjoyed putting it together. As for the protein? I

> can eat that at home if they forget that part. It's

> just one meal and I don't feel that I need protein at

> every meal. Susan

>

> --- sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001>

> wrote:

>

> > True what is the proetin we get when we go to a

> > restuarant?beans???I wouldn't eat beans at a

> > restuarant cause they flavor them w/ pork etc. you

> > never know what the hidden ingrediants are

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks, Jo. Now that I know the are called enumbers

I'll do a search. Susan

--- heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

> You can probably find a list of enumbers and what

> they are on the

> intranet. If not, there are books that list them.

>

> Jo

>

> , Susan

> >

> > Thanks again, fraggle. That calcium flow agent

> sounds

> > mysterious. I wonder why they can't be more

> specific?

> > One could always call the company and ask. Makes

> it

> > hard for people who don't want any animal

> products. I

> > recently learned that some red dyes are derived

> from

> > the cochineal bug but you won't see cochineal in

> the

> > ingredients; instead you have to start figuring

> out

> > the red dye numbers and from where they come.

> sheesh!

> > I suppose cochineal has a red dye number, but I

> don't

> > know what it is or if it's consistent. Maybe I

> can

> > find out one of these days when I have a little

> extra

> > time on my hands. In fact, I don't even know how

> the

> > numbers corelate or what they mean! By the way, I

> > don't spend all my time questioning my food. I

> love

> > to eat for pleasure and know how to do that, too!

> Food

> > is meant to be enjoyed. :-) Susan

> >

> > --- fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> >

> > > calcium sulfate is gypsum

> > > generally its mined, er it can come from sea

> > > salt....

> > >

> > >

> > > Susan <oceanfest_2000>

> > > Dec 1, 2005 3:32 PM

> > >

> > > Re: Re: Dining out-rant

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > --- fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> > >

> > > I wonder what calcium source the calcium sulfate

> and

> > > calcium flow agent in the buns come from? I'm

> > > surprised there's not honey in the bread as a

> great

> > > deal of bread product has honey in the

> ingredients

> > > (even lots of whole wheat tortillas). And the

> BBQ

> > > sauce with its anchovies, egg yolk, beef, beef

> fat?

> > > It makes " natural flavors (vegetable source) "

> seem

> > > like an oxymoron. It's humorous in a way . . .

> makes

> > > home cookin' sound pretty good. I was going to

> say

> > > MY

> > > home cookin', but then it might sound like I

> think

> > > just about anything would make mine sound good!

> > > Thanks

> > > for sending this. He! Susan

> > >

> > > > > Wheat Bun: Water, flour [(wheat flour

> bleached

> > > and

> > > > enriched with thiamine, riboflavin, niacin,

> iron),

> > > > malted barley flour], whole wheat flour,

> cracked

> > > > wheat flour, high fructose corn syrup, wheat

> > > gluten,

> > > > yeast, vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated

> > > soybean

> > > > oil). Contains 2 percent or less of salt,

> mono-

> > > and

> > > > diglycerides, propionic acid, phosphoric acid,

> > > > calcium sulfate, ammonium chloride, ascorbic

> acid,

> > > > azodicarbomide, corn flour, propionate,

> calcium

> > > flow

> > > > agent, diglycerides, ethoxylated mono- and

> > > > digycerides.

> > > >

> > > > BBQ Sauce: Water, high fructose corn syrup,

> tomato

> > > > paste, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar,

> distilled

> > > > vinegar, onions, modified food starch, salt,

> > > > molasses, Worcestershire sauce (distilled

> vinegar,

> > > > molasses, corn syrup, water, salt, caramel

> color,

> > > > garlic powder, sugar, spices, anchovies,

> tamarind,

> > > > natural flavors (vegetable source)), natural

> > > flavors

> > > > (maltodextrin, chicken fat, salt, yeast

> extract,

> > > > modified food starch, rendered beef fat, beef

> > > > extract, garlic*, beef stock, sesame seed oil,

> egg

> > > > yolk*, alpha tocopherol as an antioxidant),

> > > natural

> > > > hickory smoke flavor, caramel color, spices,

> > > soybean

> > > > oil, chili pepper, extractives of paprika,

> onion*,

> > > > sodium benzoate (preservative), mustard flour,

> > > > garlic*, citric acid, propylene glycol

> alginate,

> > > > ground celery. * dehydrated

> > > >

> > > > Pickle Slices: Cucumbers, water, distilled

> > > vinegar,

> > > > salt, calcium chloride, sodium benzoate or

> > > potassium

> > > > sorbate (preservative), natural flavor

> (vegetable

> > > > source), alum, polysorbate 80, turmeric.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Susan <oceanfest_2000>

> > > > Dec 1, 2005 6:21 AM

> > > >

> > > > Re: Re: Dining out-rant

> > > >

> > > > McDonalds was providing a vegetarian burger

> for

> > > > awhile, but I don't know if they used vegan

> > > patties

> > > > as

> > > > I was vegetarian at the time I ordered it and

> > > didn't

> > > > care if it had milk or cheese. You can get

> salads

> > > > (back to salad again!). I think some fast

> food

> > > > places

> > > > are at least trying. It depends on consumer

> > > demand.

> > > >

> > > > Susan

> > > > --- sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001>

> > > > wrote:

> > > >

> > > > > I think restaurants assume everyone is a

> meat

> > > and

> > > > > dairy eater,they don't have enough options

> for

> > > us

> > > > > vegans.

> > > > > I do wish there were vegan fast food

> joints it

> > > > > would be great to go through a drive through

> to

> > > > pick

> > > > > up a vegan hamburger/chicken/etc.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Music Unlimited

> > > > Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

> > > > http://music./unlimited/

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > To send an email to

> > > > -

> > > >

Guest guest

I decided not to renew my membership to the Vegetarian Society when they put

their

approval sign in McDonalds. I read the for and against in the magazine but I did

not want

to support them anymore.

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

>

> They weren't vegan I'm afraid. I did check with someone I know at

> the Vegetarian Society. I think the only veggie (not necessarily

> vegan) items you can get at McD now are salad, fruit bowl, and

> porridge.

>

> Jo

>

> , Susan <oceanfest_2000> wrote:

> >

> > McDonalds was providing a vegetarian burger for

> > awhile, but I don't know if they used vegan patties as

> > I was vegetarian at the time I ordered it and didn't

> > care if it had milk or cheese. You can get salads

> > (back to salad again!). I think some fast food places

> > are at least trying. It depends on consumer demand.

> > Susan

> > --- sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001>

> > wrote:

> >

> > > I think restaurants assume everyone is a meat and

> > > dairy eater,they don't have enough options for us

> > > vegans.

> > > I do wish there were vegan fast food joints it

> > > would be great to go through a drive through to pick

> > > up a vegan hamburger/chicken/etc.

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Music Unlimited

> > Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

> > http://music./unlimited/

> >

>

Guest guest

We went to Alnwick a few years back hoping to eat out at the vegetarian

restaurant which

waa there at the time. Unforunately it as shut so we went to the omnivore cafe

opposite.

We said we were vegan and could not eat cheese. It was a fairly basic cafe menu

but they

did us baked potato with hummus and beetroot, which was delicious. We liked it

so much

we copied it at home.

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

>

> I always send meals back if they are not vegan. I was once surprised

> when I ordered a jacket potato with beans one lunchtime - it turned

> up with melted cheese all over it. It went straight back because

> there was no mention of cheese on the menu.

>

> Jo

>

> , Susan <oceanfest_2000> wrote:

> >

> > I agree that everyone draws a personal line about how

> > far they go; I have sent meals back if they forgot and

> > had even a little dab of pesto for garnish on the

> > pasta; I ask to have that held, but sometimes they

> > forget. Most people are understanding about dietery

> > restrictions. I'm still learning about how far I want

> > to go. I stopped my allergy shots because they were

> > grass, dust mites, dog, and cat. My allergist said we

> > could continue the grass and dust mite and (I can't

> > believe I said this) I said dust mites are living

> > creatures, too. He countered with what are bacteria?

> > Oh well, I don't care if people think I'm weird I have

> > to live the way I believe and I can only do the best I

> > can. Susan

> >

> > --- fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> >

> > > i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at any place

> > > that uses the same pots and such for meat as well as

> > > veggies...

> > >

> > > everyone draws the line at different places...

> > >

> > > and, to me there is a major difference between

> > > stepping behind a carnivore, and eating off the same

> > > pan that has been used countless times to baste some

> > > dead critter....

> > >

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Start your day with - Make it your home page!

> > http://www./r/hs

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi,

I am 39 and my dr had been recommending I have flu " jabs " for many years, I did

take

them in the past as I have a serious health problem which weakens my immunity

(lupus)

and paradoxically I take an immunosuppressant drug to control it (which is

probably

tested on animals) and is probably not vegan. However I decided not to have the

flu jab

the last few years as I can't survive without the drug (my illness nearly

killed me a few

times) but I can hopefully survive without the flu jab, keeping fingers crossed

and taking

my vegan vitamin C supplements!

I don't see why healthy people need flu jabs.

And more to the point, does anyone?

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

>

> Why would you need flu shots anyway, are you elderly, very young or have a

serious

medical condition which lessens you bodies imune system in some way?

>

> The Valley Vegan.............

> What we have are not possessions we own.

> It's not weighed by greed or personal gain.

> This is real a desire for freedom.

> A place apart from a world in abandon.

>

> sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001> wrote:

> so as a vegan I should avoid them right,I have since childhood

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote: flu shots are from fertlized chicken

eggs..yes

>

>

>

> sandi gordon

> Nov 30, 2005 2:08 PM

>

>

> Isn't the flu shot from a chicken/egg??or can you request another kind

>

>

>

>

> Don't need no politician Tell me things I ought to be Neither no

optician Tell me

what I ought to see No one tells you nothing Even when you know they know

They tell

you what you should be They don't like to see you grow

>

>

>

>

>

> Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I have come to believe whether it is true or not, thst there is a huge excess of

by products

in the meat and dairy industry, particularly of whey, and so the food industry

uses it as a

sorr of generic filler. Also it is also really hard to fimd vegetable

margarines/spreads which

don't have whey in.

, Susan <oceanfest_2000> wrote:

>

> What is it about cheese? It seems like cheese is in

> everything, especially when you eat out. I have to

> ask if the croutons in the salad have cheese in them

> (usually I just ask to leave them out)as many of them

> do. I am amazed at how much cheese (and dairy) we

> have in our foods! I never really thought about it

> before. Susan

>

> --- heartwerk <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

>

> > I always send meals back if they are not vegan. I

> > was once surprised

> > when I ordered a jacket potato with beans one

> > lunchtime - it turned

> > up with melted cheese all over it. It went straight

> > back because

> > there was no mention of cheese on the menu.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > , Susan

> > <oceanfest_2000> wrote:

> > >

> > > I agree that everyone draws a personal line about

> > how

> > > far they go; I have sent meals back if they forgot

> > and

> > > had even a little dab of pesto for garnish on the

> > > pasta; I ask to have that held, but sometimes they

> > > forget. Most people are understanding about

> > dietery

> > > restrictions. I'm still learning about how far I

> > want

> > > to go. I stopped my allergy shots because they

> > were

> > > grass, dust mites, dog, and cat. My allergist

> > said we

> > > could continue the grass and dust mite and (I

> > can't

> > > believe I said this) I said dust mites are living

> > > creatures, too. He countered with what are

> > bacteria?

> > > Oh well, I don't care if people think I'm weird I

> > have

> > > to live the way I believe and I can only do the

> > best I

> > > can. Susan

> > >

> > >

> > > > i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at any

> > place

> > > > that uses the same pots and such for meat as

> > well as

> > > > veggies...

> > > >

> > > > everyone draws the line at different places...

> > > >

> > > > and, to me there is a major difference between

> > > > stepping behind a carnivore, and eating off the

> > same

> > > > pan that has been used countless times to baste

> > some

> > > > dead critter....

> > > >

> > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Start your day with - Make it your home

> > page!

> > > http://www./r/hs

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> Music Unlimited

> Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

> http://music./unlimited/

>

Guest guest

I like mushrooms but not 100 gms of them in one go - and if you ate that

amount you would still get only 4gms protein.

Jo

-

" Susan " <oceanfest_2000

Friday, December 02, 2005 6:29 PM

Re: Re: Dining out-rant

>

> Yah, that's true. I do love them, though!Ha!

> Thankfully, I don't rely on mushrooms for all my

> protein! I might grow to be very tired of them. :-)

> Susan

Guest guest

Hopefully they will have learned their lesson - there was a lot of dissent.

I don't really want to give up the discounts they give. It saves me about

£200 a year, and I'm not rich.

Jo

-

" herbvalerian " <herbvalerian

Friday, December 02, 2005 6:43 PM

Re: Dining out-rant

> I decided not to renew my membership to the Vegetarian Society when they

put their

> approval sign in McDonalds. I read the for and against in the magazine but

I did not want

> to support them anymore.

>

Guest guest

Not very good.

Jo

-

Friday, December 02, 2005 6:39 PM

> I thought mushrooms were a good source of protein?

Guest guest

Are you in the UK. There are lots of margarines here without whey in. Pure

bears the Vegan Society symbol. There are margarines made by Granose, and

many more.

Jo

-

Friday, December 02, 2005 7:03 PM

> I have come to believe whether it is true or not, thst there is a huge

excess of by products

> in the meat and dairy industry, particularly of whey, and so the food

industry uses it as a

> sorr of generic filler. Also it is also really hard to fimd vegetable

margarines/spreads which

> don't have whey in.

>

Guest guest

earth balance and willow run margarines are pretty easy to find, at least over

here in the Bay area, both have a vegan margarine..and earth balance is even

organic...

:)

herbvalerian <herbvalerian

Dec 2, 2005 11:03 AM

I have come to believe whether it is true or not, thst there is a huge excess of

by products

in the meat and dairy industry, particularly of whey, and so the food industry

uses it as a

sorr of generic filler. Also it is also really hard to fimd vegetable

margarines/spreads which

don't have whey in.

, Susan <oceanfest_2000> wrote:

>

> What is it about cheese? It seems like cheese is in

> everything, especially when you eat out. I have to

> ask if the croutons in the salad have cheese in them

> (usually I just ask to leave them out)as many of them

> do. I am amazed at how much cheese (and dairy) we

> have in our foods! I never really thought about it

> before. Susan

>

> --- heartwerk <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

>

> > was once surprised

> > lunchtime - it turned

> > up with melted cheese all over it. It went straight

> > back because

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > , Susan

> > <oceanfest_2000> wrote:

> > >

> > > I agree that everyone draws a personal line about

> > how

> > > far they go; I have sent meals back if they forgot

> > and

> > > had even a little dab of pesto for garnish on the

> > > pasta; I ask to have that held, but sometimes they

> > dietery

> > want

> > were

> > said we

> > can't

> > > believe I said this) I said dust mites are living

> > bacteria?

> > > Oh well, I don't care if people think I'm weird I

> > have

> > best I

> > > can. Susan

> > >

> > >

> > place

> > well as

> > > > veggies...

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > stepping behind a carnivore, and eating off the

> > same

> > > > pan that has been used countless times to baste

> > some

> > > > dead critter....

> > > >

> > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > page!

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> Music Unlimited

> Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

> http://music./unlimited/

>

To send an email to -

Guest guest

i prolly eat mushrooms 3-4 times a week

protein is still damn easy to come to..its in everything..and as long as you eat

a balanced diet, you shouldn't have any problems at all...

jo <jo.heartwork

Dec 2, 2005 11:32 AM

I like mushrooms but not 100 gms of them in one go - and if you ate that

amount you would still get only 4gms protein.

Jo

-

" Susan " <oceanfest_2000

Friday, December 02, 2005 6:29 PM

>

> Yah, that's true. I do love them, though!Ha!

> Thankfully, I don't rely on mushrooms for all my

> protein! I might grow to be very tired of them. :-)

> Susan

To send an email to -

Guest guest

really?

not here..hummous is just ground chick peas

tho..i guess i've seen yogurt in hummus..but thats pretty odd and not seen often

jo <jo.heartwork

Dec 2, 2005 11:40 AM

Was tehe hummous vegan? The ones you buy in tubs mostly have milk products

in - why? We usually make our own.

Jo

-

Friday, December 02, 2005 6:48 PM

> We went to Alnwick a few years back hoping to eat out at the vegetarian

restaurant which

> waa there at the time. Unforunately it as shut so we went to the omnivore

cafe opposite.

> We said we were vegan and could not eat cheese. It was a fairly basic cafe

menu but they

> did us baked potato with hummus and beetroot, which was delicious. We

liked it so much

> we copied it at home.

To send an email to -

Guest guest

As long as you eat beans, lentils, nuts, rice etc. you will get enough.

Jo

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

Friday, December 02, 2005 7:45 PM

> i prolly eat mushrooms 3-4 times a week

>

> protein is still damn easy to come to..its in everything..and as long as

you eat a balanced diet, you shouldn't have any problems at all...

>

>

> jo <jo.heartwork

> Dec 2, 2005 11:32 AM

>

>

> I like mushrooms but not 100 gms of them in one go - and if you ate that

> amount you would still get only 4gms protein.

>

> Jo

> -

> " Susan " <oceanfest_2000

>

> Friday, December 02, 2005 6:29 PM

>

>

> >

> > Yah, that's true. I do love them, though!Ha!

> > Thankfully, I don't rely on mushrooms for all my

> > protein! I might grow to be very tired of them. :-)

> > Susan

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Hi,

Yes, I am in UK and I do use Pure, or Suma own brand. But they are only

available in some

shops. Iceland doesn't sell them here, or the smaller supermarkets like Lidl ,

Aldi or Netto,

where we go for cheap food in the Northeast. Also we have been to Scotland and

not been

able to find vegan margarine. The shelves in the smaller supermarkets are full

of

margarine but they all have whey in. Even the ones which have names that sound

like they

are just made of olives or sunflowers. Sometimes it means I have to go to a

larger shop

just for margarine.

, " jo " <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

>

> Are you in the UK. There are lots of margarines here without whey in. Pure

> bears the Vegan Society symbol. There are margarines made by Granose, and

> many more.

>

> Jo

>

> -

> " herbvalerian " <herbvalerian>

>

> Friday, December 02, 2005 7:03 PM

> Re: Dining out-rant

>

>

> > I have come to believe whether it is true or not, thst there is a huge

> excess of by products

> > in the meat and dairy industry, particularly of whey, and so the food

> industry uses it as a

> > sorr of generic filler. Also it is also really hard to fimd vegetable

> margarines/spreads which

> > don't have whey in.

> >

>

Guest guest

Do you remember how it all went together? Can you

share? I know how to make hummus and bake a potato,

but I wonder how they were combined with the beets?

Thanks. Susan

--- herbvalerian <herbvalerian wrote:

> We went to Alnwick a few years back hoping to eat

> out at the vegetarian restaurant which

> waa there at the time. Unforunately it as shut so we

> went to the omnivore cafe opposite.

> We said we were vegan and could not eat cheese. It

> was a fairly basic cafe menu but they

> did us baked potato with hummus and beetroot, which

> was delicious. We liked it so much

> we copied it at home.

>

>

> , " heartwerk "

> <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

> >

> was once surprised

> lunchtime - it turned

> > up with melted cheese all over it. It went

> straight back because

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > , Susan

> > >

> > > I agree that everyone draws a personal line

> about how

> > > far they go; I have sent meals back if they

> forgot and

> > > had even a little dab of pesto for garnish on

> the

> > > pasta; I ask to have that held, but sometimes

> they

> dietery

> want

> were

> said we

> can't

> > > believe I said this) I said dust mites are

> living

> bacteria?

> > > Oh well, I don't care if people think I'm weird

> I have

> best I

> > > can. Susan

> > >

> > >

> place

> well as

> > > > veggies...

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > stepping behind a carnivore, and eating off

> the same

> > > > pan that has been used countless times to

> baste some

> > > > dead critter....

> > > >

> > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> page!

> > >

> >

>

>

>

>

>

Start your day with - Make it your home page!

http://www./r/hs

Guest guest

We get ours in Tesco.

Jo

-

Friday, December 02, 2005 7:57 PM

> Hi,

> Yes, I am in UK and I do use Pure, or Suma own brand. But they are only

available in some

> shops. Iceland doesn't sell them here, or the smaller supermarkets like

Lidl , Aldi or Netto,

> where we go for cheap food in the Northeast. Also we have been to Scotland

and not been

> able to find vegan margarine. The shelves in the smaller supermarkets

are full of

> margarine but they all have whey in. Even the ones which have names that

sound like they

> are just made of olives or sunflowers. Sometimes it means I have to go to

a larger shop

> just for margarine.

>

> , " jo " <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

> >

> > Are you in the UK. There are lots of margarines here without whey in.

Pure

> > bears the Vegan Society symbol. There are margarines made by Granose,

and

> > many more.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > -

> > " herbvalerian " <herbvalerian>

> >

> > Friday, December 02, 2005 7:03 PM

> > Re: Dining out-rant

> >

> >

> > > I have come to believe whether it is true or not, thst there is a huge

> > excess of by products

> > > in the meat and dairy industry, particularly of whey, and so the food

> > industry uses it as a

> > > sorr of generic filler. Also it is also really hard to fimd vegetable

> > margarines/spreads which

> > > don't have whey in.

> > >

> >

>

To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

My Dr. asked why I was refusing a flu shot and I asked

him if he had about three hours to spare for the

answer! Speaking for healthy people (people whose

health are compromised may have different needs)I

believe people are relying too heavily on vaccinations

(some are lifesaving, polio, for example during the

epidemics)however; I prefer to consider offers of

vaccinations for myself on an as-they-come-up basis.

I think people should research the pros and cons and

then decided. However, I feel that the flu viruses

mutate so rapidly that what you may be protected for

this week just may not be valuable next week. I

prefer to think that it's possible to improve your own

natural immunity enough to fight off most (if not

all)infections (again, I am talking about healthy

people). One thing I've decided to do towards that

step is to remove all the amalgum fillings in my mouth

due to the mercury. One book I read that influenced

my decision was The Mercury in Your Mouth. Research

was cited, but there were also anecdotal stories as

well (which are something to think about if not rely

upon). There were examples of people with MS

improving substantially after having the amalgams

removed and some other examples as well. Anyway,

there are steps we can take to help improve our immune

systems. I tend to think that what I was born with is

probably all the tools I need to live my life if I try

to take care of those tools. It's really a new way of

looking at things, what's old is new again!

Simplicity is looking more and more inviting.

Currently, I do not get the flu vaccine and I plan not

to renew my Tetnus vaccine. I think the risk is

greater to get them than to not. For myself, that is.

Susan

> I don't see why healthy people need flu jabs.

> And more to the point, does anyone?

>

> , peter hurd

> <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> >

> > Why would you need flu shots anyway, are you

> elderly, very young or have a serious

> medical condition which lessens you bodies imune

> system in some way?

>

Guest guest

Yes, and caseine is the other sneaky dairy product

often found in soy cheeses. I have to hunt to find

one that doesn't have it. Susan

> I have come to believe whether it is true or not,

> thst there is a huge excess of by products

> in the meat and dairy industry, particularly of

> whey, and so the food industry uses it as a

> sorr of generic filler. Also it is also really hard

> to fimd vegetable margarines/spreads which

> don't have whey in.

________

DSL – Something to write home about.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.

dsl.

Guest guest

I used to love hummous on pita breadfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: really?not here..hummous is just ground chick peastho..i guess i've seen yogurt in hummus..but thats pretty odd and not seen oftenjo <jo.heartworkDec 2, 2005 11:40 AM Subject: Re: Re: Dining out-rantWas tehe hummous vegan? The ones you buy in tubs mostly have milk productsin - why? We usually make our own.Jo-"herbvalerian" <herbvalerianFriday, December 02, 2005 6:48 PM Re: Dining out-rant> We went to Alnwick a few years back hoping to eat out at the

vegetarianrestaurant which> waa there at the time. Unforunately it as shut so we went to the omnivorecafe opposite.> We said we were vegan and could not eat cheese. It was a fairly basic cafemenu but they> did us baked potato with hummus and beetroot, which was delicious. Weliked it so much> we copied it at home.To send an email to -