IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Introduction

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Mike,

I usually Veganaise, but would be very interested in your recipe!

Thx!

Nikki :)

, " Michael Benis "

<michael.benis@n...> wrote:

> Ice creams: Tofutti and Swedish Glace (I think that's what the firm's

> called- Sweden's in there somewhere anyway).

>

> Let me know if you can't find the mayonnaise and I'll give you a

recipe

> that's very easy to make in a blender - that's how we all used to

have to do

> it before the stuff came out on the market. I used to be addicted to

> coleslaw so it was very important.....:-)

>

> Cheers

>

> Mike

>

Guest guest

The sweet potatoes grow underground right? How do you harvest them?Lynda <lurine wrote:

I plant mine on an outside fence and train the vine up a trellis. Kills two birds with one stone -- I get the sweet potatoes AND I get a decorative trellis.

Lynda

-

Craig Dearth

Sunday, July 31, 2005 7:12 PM

RE: Introduction

sweet potatoes are great BUT... they take over the whole garden

it looks like English ivy and if you let it it will spread for miles =o]]

Craig

Introduction

Jo, I planted my potatoes this afternoon. I actually planted a sweet potato that was growing in my pantry so that one will be ahead of my russet potato.

Jonnie

Guest guest

When the plants die back you dig them out. If you use the can method, turn it on its side and roll around. The dirt falls out and so do the potatoes.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Monday, August 01, 2005 8:59 AM

Re: Introduction

The sweet potatoes grow underground right? How do you harvest them?Lynda <lurine wrote:

I plant mine on an outside fence and train the vine up a trellis. Kills two birds with one stone -- I get the sweet potatoes AND I get a decorative trellis.

Lynda

-

Craig Dearth

Craig

Introduction

Jo, I planted my potatoes this afternoon. I actually planted a sweet potato that was growing in my pantry so that one will be ahead of my russet potato.

Jonnie

Guest guest

Hi Draggy

> The saddest part is no more ice cream once the one in the freezer is finished. Is there a vegan alternative to chocolate chip ice

> cream? What about yogurt? Is there a soy alternative? I have not found one locally. I am in Illinois in a small farming

> community so I was surprised to find what I have so far.

There's Swedish Glace or Tofutti ice creams... both very nice. There are soy yoghurts, but I don't know what is available in the US!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Draggy ( sounds worse?),

Vegan mayonnese is available here in the U.K. - SEE http://www.plamilfoods.co.uk/

Yoghurts :

http://www.alprosoya.co.uk/

Dont know if you are in the U.K. but no doubt someone in here will be able to help if not.

Why are you worried about someone knowing who you are on here. Do you have something to hide? Don`t be so daft, just be yourself, who cares about what people think eh?

Eating out is not a problem for me, ...........I cant afford it often any way, but when I do I am limited to take aways ( Indian & Chinese ), and these have been thoroughly veted!

The Valley Vegan.......DragonSpiritHealer <dragonspirithealer wrote:

Peter,

How about Draggy? That is a shorter name I use. I am just very careful about using my real name on-line. That is why I have two accounts so that I can access different things without worrying about people knowing me.

Thanks for encouraging questions, I do have many. But I am trying to go slow and get a feel for the group before just jumping in. I did get the book Becoming Vegan from my library but have not had a chance to read it yet. I hope to start it this week.

I had fun shopping at the local Kroger yesterday. I went without my partner and ended up getting lots of stuff. I was only going for bread, but came home with fresh veggies, soy milk (partner did not like that), soy margarine (that does not taste bad at all), veggie burgers, and other stuff all of which was vegan or animal product free. However, I was not able to find vegan mayonnaise. I am not sure where to find that. My partner is not sure she will like the vegan stuff, even when I told her about cheese alternatives that I found. Right now we are using up the cheese & yogurt stuff in the house. I am not going to push her into anything.

I am also in an area where there are absolutely no vegetarian places to eat, so when eating out I will most likely end up being vegetarian instead of vegan. But if I am vegan at home as much as I can, that is at least a start. And also a nice balance. I do not want to cause problems with the partner if I don't have to. So we are finding a balance as we go.

The saddest part is no more ice cream once the one in the freezer is finished. Is there a vegan alternative to chocolate chip ice cream? What about yogurt? Is there a soy alternative? I have not found one locally. I am in Illinois in a small farming community so I was surprised to find what I have so far.

Thanks, and any ideas or info will be appreciated from anyone.

Blessings,

Draggy

peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Welcome Dragonspirithealer ? ( come on you must have a more user friendly typing name than that?!)

Welcome to the group, ask any questions you like regarding our lifesty;e, we have a couple of fonts of all knowledge and a lot of experiance on here so feel free. From whence do you hail?

Glad to here that you are questioning where food comes from and its production/consequences, something that I think more children should be taught at school - might also have a bearing on their spirituality as well.

As well as dairy products dont forget that honey is taboo ( unless you can train bees to deliver it to you that is), as a lot of bees are killed in its production, as with silk.

Best wishes

The Valley Vegan......

DragonSpiritHealer <dragonspirithealer wrote:

Greetings All, I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to this group. Since I am not sure what you might want to know, I will keep it simple. I am 38 years old, in a committed relationship of 13 yrs., and newly turned vegetarian (3 months). I am interested in possibly going vegan and thought this might be a good group to try to get more info. My partner is not so sure about the idea of going vegan, but will let me explore it if I want. I am college educated with concentrations or degrees in Fine Arts - AA, Religion - BA, Mental Health - concentration, Theology/Ethics 21 hr Masters Certificate, Web Technologies/Computers concentration and a MA in Teaching - Elementary Ed. and looking for a teaching job as we speak.

I went vegetarian because I was tired of getting sick every time I ate meat. I am not now nor have I ever been a health nut. I need to exercise and loose weight, but am working on liking myself for who I am. I am finding it not that hard at all to be vegetarian and after contemplating what animals go through to provide milk, cheese, and eggs, I am not sure if I really want to keep eating these products. I have also been reading a lot of Buddhist texts and that is also pushing me towards the possibility of going vegan. I am also non-traditional in my faith, which also lends towards a more vegetarian/vegan lifestyle as well.

I hope this is enough for an into. I hope to get to know more about veganism through this list.

Blessings,

Dragonspirithealer

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Guest guest

Do they die back when it gets cold? I think that'll be ... hmmmm... does it get cold here?

JonnieLynda <lurine wrote:

When the plants die back you dig them out. If you use the can method, turn it on its side and roll around. The dirt falls out and so do the potatoes.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Craig Dearth

Craig

Introduction

Jonnie Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

Guest guest

Hmmmm, I've heard of perpetual tomatoes in your area <g> However, I think they would still have a life cycle with leaves, blooms and then dying back.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:23 AM

Do they die back when it gets cold? I think that'll be ... hmmmm... does it get cold here?

JonnieLynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda

-

Craig Dearth

Craig

Introduction

Jonnie Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

Guest guest

Peter,

I am in the U.S. so I am not able to buy from the U.K. most likely and import foods. It would be a bit drastic anyway. I am in a very rural, high aggricultural area where vegetianism gets funny looks, much less vegan.

Regarding privacy, here in america it is not wise to use one's real name on all e-mail activities due to discrimination. My faith alone is enough to keep me out of my choosen field if I could land a job their in the first place. With all the "terrorist" talk, anyone who is not seen as 100% pro bush and his beliefs, places theirself in a very tricky if not dangerous place. Sorry to disalusion you on this one. I will stick to my accounts for my e-lists. Thanks though.

Blessings,

Dragonspirithealerpeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Hi Draggy ( sounds worse?),

Vegan mayonnese is available here in the U.K. - SEE http://www.plamilfoods.co.uk/

Yoghurts :

http://www.alprosoya.co.uk/

Dont know if you are in the U.K. but no doubt someone in here will be able to help if not.

Why are you worried about someone knowing who you are on here. Do you have something to hide? Don`t be so daft, just be yourself, who cares about what people think eh?

Eating out is not a problem for me, ...........I cant afford it often any way, but when I do I am limited to take aways ( Indian & Chinese ), and these have been thoroughly veted!

The Valley Vegan.......DragonSpiritHealer <dragonspirithealer wrote:

Peter,

How about Draggy? That is a shorter name I use. I am just very careful about using my real name on-line. That is why I have two accounts so that I can access different things without worrying about people knowing me.

Thanks for encouraging questions, I do have many. But I am trying to go slow and get a feel for the group before just jumping in. I did get the book Becoming Vegan from my library but have not had a chance to read it yet. I hope to start it this week.

I had fun shopping at the local Kroger yesterday. I went without my partner and ended up getting lots of stuff. I was only going for bread, but came home with fresh veggies, soy milk (partner did not like that), soy margarine (that does not taste bad at all), veggie burgers, and other stuff all of which was vegan or animal product free. However, I was not able to find vegan mayonnaise. I am not sure where to find that. My partner is not sure she will like the vegan stuff, even when I told her about cheese alternatives that I found. Right now we are using up the cheese & yogurt stuff in the house. I am not going to push her into anything.

I am also in an area where there are absolutely no vegetarian places to eat, so when eating out I will most likely end up being vegetarian instead of vegan. But if I am vegan at home as much as I can, that is at least a start. And also a nice balance. I do not want to cause problems with the partner if I don't have to. So we are finding a balance as we go.

The saddest part is no more ice cream once the one in the freezer is finished. Is there a vegan alternative to chocolate chip ice cream? What about yogurt? Is there a soy alternative? I have not found one locally. I am in Illinois in a small farming community so I was surprised to find what I have so far.

Thanks, and any ideas or info will be appreciated from anyone.

Blessings,

Draggy

peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Welcome Dragonspirithealer ? ( come on you must have a more user friendly typing name than that?!)

Welcome to the group, ask any questions you like regarding our lifesty;e, we have a couple of fonts of all knowledge and a lot of experiance on here so feel free. From whence do you hail?

Glad to here that you are questioning where food comes from and its production/consequences, something that I think more children should be taught at school - might also have a bearing on their spirituality as well.

As well as dairy products dont forget that honey is taboo ( unless you can train bees to deliver it to you that is), as a lot of bees are killed in its production, as with silk.

Best wishes

The Valley Vegan......

DragonSpiritHealer <dragonspirithealer wrote:

Greetings All, I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to this group. Since I am not sure what you might want to know, I will keep it simple. I am 38 years old, in a committed relationship of 13 yrs., and newly turned vegetarian (3 months). I am interested in possibly going vegan and thought this might be a good group to try to get more info. My partner is not so sure about the idea of going vegan, but will let me explore it if I want. I am college educated with concentrations or degrees in Fine Arts - AA, Religion - BA, Mental Health - concentration, Theology/Ethics 21 hr Masters Certificate, Web Technologies/Computers concentration and a MA in Teaching - Elementary Ed. and looking for a teaching job as we speak.

I went vegetarian because I was tired of getting sick every time I ate meat. I am not now nor have I ever been a health nut. I need to exercise and loose weight, but am working on liking myself for who I am. I am finding it not that hard at all to be vegetarian and after contemplating what animals go through to provide milk, cheese, and eggs, I am not sure if I really want to keep eating these products. I have also been reading a lot of Buddhist texts and that is also pushing me towards the possibility of going vegan. I am also non-traditional in my faith, which also lends towards a more vegetarian/vegan lifestyle as well.

I hope this is enough for an into. I hope to get to know more about veganism through this list.

Blessings,

Dragonspirithealer

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Guest guest

Hi Dragonspirithealer,

I can certainly understand your hesitation in sharing your name and

especially being new to this board, do not blame you for not sharing

too much info. If some time you feel comfortable enough to great,

and if not we are happy to know you as you are.

You certainly will not find what you described below here. This is a

very accepting group no matter what your views. I have never found

myself uncomfortable " talking " here and I am usually very much a

closed person unless you get to know me.

Besides, if things do tend to get heated on the group, Peter, Jo &

Fraggle do a great job of calming it down.

Now, that is not to say that if someone disagrees with what you say

they won't tell you so. LOL But I like that too. Tis the only way to

learn and expand.

And believe me, you will find a lot of diversified faiths here as

well. No matter your practice, unless it involves harming others, no

one shall think the worse of you. And if they do, you didn't need

them in the first place.

When you feel comfortable, share what you will. But I don't think we

will take offense if you do not. I think Craig may have just been

razing you a bit, he really is a nice guy. Well, usually. ;) And if

not, Lynda and I will take care of that after we're done munching on

this lovely broccoli!

((hugz)) & Blessings,

, DragonSpiritHealer

<dragonspirithealer> wrote:

> Peter,

>

> I am in the U.S. so I am not able to buy from the U.K. most likely

and import foods. It would be a bit drastic anyway. I am in a very

rural, high aggricultural area where vegetianism gets funny looks,

much less vegan.

>

> Regarding privacy, here in america it is not wise to use one's

real name on all e-mail activities due to discrimination. My faith

alone is enough to keep me out of my choosen field if I could land a

job their in the first place. With all the " terrorist " talk, anyone

who is not seen as 100% pro bush and his beliefs, places theirself

in a very tricky if not dangerous place. Sorry to disalusion you on

this one. I will stick to my accounts for my e-lists. Thanks

though.

>

> Blessings,

> Dragonspirithealer

>

Guest guest

Welcome Barbara. I too have fibromyalgia and high cholesterol. went vegetarian in the '80's when started getting sick every time I ate meat. trying to lose - no, in the process of losing - at least 40 lbs.

There are loads of great recipies in the files and wonderful people in this group who will be glad to answer questions and give you all the help you want.

When I first went veggie I made a lot of the same dishes I was used to eating just used beans in place of the meat. Lots of cassaroles and spaghetti LOL

Glad you've joined us.

peace,

Angela

Barbara <babsyjean wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am new here. My name is Barbara and I am new to vegetarian eating. I am looking forward to learning as I go. I went to the health food store tonight and got myself some Amy's Kitchen frozen dinners and I am gathering recipes. I am looking forward to meeting everyone

Take care!

Love Barb

**************************************************************Scanned by eScan Anti-Virus and Content Security Software.Visit http://www.mwti.net for more info on eScan and MailScan.**************************************************************who I am is fine, it's just this body that's disabled!"work your fingers to the bone, whatta ya get....boney fingers, boney fingers"Source: Boney Fingers by the late great Hoyt Axton

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Guest guest

Hi Jeaninne,

Nice meeting you in here. If you need a recipe, you're sure to find

it in

the group recipe files.

Two kids under the age of 3? You are very busy. Nice having them

near the same age though.

Mya

, Jeaninne

<jeaninneraaberg@s...> wrote:

>

> Hello everyone. My name is Jeaninne and I am a SAHM to 2 kids

(almost 3). We are trying to stick with being vegetarians...but when

we go out to eat, it's hard sometimes!

>

> Anyway, at home I only prepare vegetarian dishes...

>

> As for a recipe--I will post the one my husband and I made last

night!

>

> Fried Tofu with Peanut Sauce

> Source: Vegetarian--Over 180 Tempting Recipes

>

> Serves 4

>

> 1 pound 2 oz firm or extra-firm tofu

> 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil (the book suggests to use 1-3/4 pints

sunflower oil)

> 1/2 cup corn oil (and the book suggests to use 2 tbsp sesame oil)

>

> Batter-

> 4 tbsp whole wheat flour (the book says plain flour)

> 2 eggs, beaten

> 4 tbsp milk (can be soy or cows)

> 1/2 tsp baking powder

> 1/2 tsp chili powder

>

> Peanut Sauce-

> 2 tbsp rice vinegar

> 2 tbsp sugar

> 1 tsp salt

> 3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter (You can use creamy)

> 1/2 tsp chili flakes

> 3 tbsp BBQ sauce

>

> 1. Cut the tofu into 1 inch triangles. Set aside.

>

> 2. To make the sauce, combine the vinegar and sugar and salt in a

saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 minutes. Remove

from the heat and add the peanut butter, chili flakes and BBQ sauce,

stirring to mix.

>

> 3. To make the batter, sift the flour into a bowl. Make a well in

the center and add the eggs. Draw in the flour, adding the milk

slowly. Add the baking powder and chili powder stirring to form a

batter.

>

> 4. Heat the oils in a deep fryer or large wok (we used a large

saucepan) until a light haze appears on top. Dip the tofu triangles

into the batter and deep fry until golden. Drain and serve with the

sauce.

>

>

> Jeaninne

Guest guest

Hi. Thank you for the welcome! No, I don't have 2 kids under 3! LOL I have a

9 yr old boy, a 4 yr old girl and I am due with number 3 on Jan. 31 (a boy).

myathemouse <myathemouse wrote:

Hi Jeaninne,

Nice meeting you in here. If you need a recipe, you're sure to find

it in

the group recipe files.

Two kids under the age of 3? You are very busy. Nice having them

near the same age though.

Mya

, Jeaninne

<jeaninneraaberg@s...> wrote:

>

> Hello everyone. My name is Jeaninne and I am a SAHM to 2 kids

(almost 3). We are trying to stick with being vegetarians...but when

we go out to eat, it's hard sometimes!

>

> Anyway, at home I only prepare vegetarian dishes...

>

> As for a recipe--I will post the one my husband and I made last

night!

>

> Fried Tofu with Peanut Sauce

> Source: Vegetarian--Over 180 Tempting Recipes

>

> Serves 4

>

> 1 pound 2 oz firm or extra-firm tofu

> 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil (the book suggests to use 1-3/4 pints

sunflower oil)

> 1/2 cup corn oil (and the book suggests to use 2 tbsp sesame oil)

>

> Batter-

> 4 tbsp whole wheat flour (the book says plain flour)

> 2 eggs, beaten

> 4 tbsp milk (can be soy or cows)

> 1/2 tsp baking powder

> 1/2 tsp chili powder

>

> Peanut Sauce-

> 2 tbsp rice vinegar

> 2 tbsp sugar

> 1 tsp salt

> 3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter (You can use creamy)

> 1/2 tsp chili flakes

> 3 tbsp BBQ sauce

>

> 1. Cut the tofu into 1 inch triangles. Set aside.

>

> 2. To make the sauce, combine the vinegar and sugar and salt in a

saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 minutes. Remove

from the heat and add the peanut butter, chili flakes and BBQ sauce,

stirring to mix.

>

> 3. To make the batter, sift the flour into a bowl. Make a well in

the center and add the eggs. Draw in the flour, adding the milk

slowly. Add the baking powder and chili powder stirring to form a

batter.

>

> 4. Heat the oils in a deep fryer or large wok (we used a large

saucepan) until a light haze appears on top. Dip the tofu triangles

into the batter and deep fry until golden. Drain and serve with the

sauce.

>

>

> Jeaninne

Guest guest

Great to have you here, Linda. I'd also be interested in subs. for those

cheeses. Especially bleu (my favorite) and smoked gouda. Any smoked cheese

is just fabulous.

Shawn

On 11/5/05, Linda C wrote:

>

>

> Hello Everyone

>

> I just joined in as I wanted to expand on my vegetarian ways and maybe

> move more towards vegan eating. I have been a vegetarian for almost 20 years

> now and have never ever missed meat.

>

> I would like to learn more on substituting for eggs, and dairy and of

> course the cheese things. I love all kinds of cheese and that has been my

> largest hurdle towards being vegan. I have yet to find a substitute for

> cottage cheese, bleu cheese, smoked gouda etc. I am learning though.

>

> Thanks for letting me join in.

>

>

> Linda

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi, Linda,

I'm new to the group myself :) Wanted to tell you to check out the

Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak. None of it tastes

like dairy cheese but there are some great recipes in there (Cheez

Please Soup, Betta Feta, Gee Whiz Spread). I've found that the

longer it's been since I've eaten dairy the better the substitutes

taste. Good luck!

Shelly

, " Linda C "

<muggle311@n...> wrote:

>

>

> Hello Everyone

>

> I just joined in as I wanted to expand on my vegetarian ways and

maybe move more towards vegan eating. I have been a vegetarian for

almost 20 years now and have never ever missed meat.

>

> I would like to learn more on substituting for eggs, and dairy

and of course the cheese things. I love all kinds of cheese and that

has been my largest hurdle towards being vegan. I have yet to find a

substitute for cottage cheese, bleu cheese, smoked gouda etc. I am

learning though.

>

>

>

> Linda

>

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks Shelly so much

I forgot i had her book it is not the ultimate one but just the uncheese book.

I will give them a try. I also have lots of vegan books just run out of $$ at

the store sometimes and cannot afford to buy the stuff. That also is another

hurdle for me. I am on such a tight budget sometimes the real thing is just

cheaper :-))). I am going to do this slowly but I htink I can get there at least

try a few vegan days a week, adding mroe and more. I will get there eventually.

Thanks for the support.

Linda

-

Shelly

Saturday, November 05, 2005 6:24 PM

Hi, Linda,

I'm new to the group myself :) Wanted to tell you to check out the

Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak. None of it tastes

like dairy cheese but there are some great recipes in there (Cheez

Please Soup, Betta Feta, Gee Whiz Spread). I've found that the

longer it's been since I've eaten dairy the better the substitutes

taste. Good luck!

Shelly

, " Linda C "

<muggle311@n...> wrote:

>

>

> Hello Everyone

>

> I just joined in as I wanted to expand on my vegetarian ways and

maybe move more towards vegan eating. I have been a vegetarian for

almost 20 years now and have never ever missed meat.

>

> I would like to learn more on substituting for eggs, and dairy

and of course the cheese things. I love all kinds of cheese and that

has been my largest hurdle towards being vegan. I have yet to find a

substitute for cottage cheese, bleu cheese, smoked gouda etc. I am

learning though.

>

>

>

> Linda

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

hi linda and welcome!

diary is a hard one to give up, esp. since the

alternatives aren't always the greatest.

you might be interested in our recipe files:

/files

there is a folder (vegetarian & vegan substitutions)

in our files that contains recipes and tips for vegan

diary and egg alternatives. there's actually a vegan

cottage cheese recipe in there. also, i'm about to

repost a recipe for a vegan melty cheeze that shawn

and i just love. we do alot of experimenting with

that recipe. i bet you could add a drop of liquid

smoke to get a smoked cheese alternative. i hope you

will find something you like there.

glad to have you here,

susie

--- Linda C <muggle311 wrote:

> Hello Everyone

>

> I just joined in as I wanted to expand on my

> vegetarian ways and maybe move more towards vegan

> eating. I have been a vegetarian for almost 20

> years now and have never ever missed meat.

>

> I would like to learn more on substituting for

> eggs, and dairy and of course the cheese things. I

> love all kinds of cheese and that has been my

> largest hurdle towards being vegan. I have yet to

> find a substitute for cottage cheese, bleu cheese,

> smoked gouda etc. I am learning though.

>

> Linda

Start your day with - Make it your home page!

http://www./r/hs

Guest guest

Oh I would love subs for these however since I have rarely ever found them I

am still ovo-lacto vegetarian. Easier to give up eating eggs I think.

I still bake with them but am going ot try to not do that either. I do miss

them in the baked good though sometimes they are needed but I will give it a

good go.

I like soy margarine and that sort of thing however real margarine is still

oil mostly anyway.

I am going to check out the recipes in a bit. I am painting for an upcoming

show and am sort of busy :-)))

Linda

-

subprong

Saturday, November 05, 2005 5:10 PM

Great to have you here, Linda. I'd also be interested in subs. for those

cheeses. Especially bleu (my favorite) and smoked gouda. Any smoked cheese

is just fabulous.

Shawn

On 11/5/05, Linda C wrote:

>

>

> Hello Everyone

>

> I just joined in as I wanted to expand on my vegetarian ways and maybe

> move more towards vegan eating. I have been a vegetarian for almost 20 years

> now and have never ever missed meat.

>

> I would like to learn more on substituting for eggs, and dairy and of

> course the cheese things. I love all kinds of cheese and that has been my

> largest hurdle towards being vegan. I have yet to find a substitute for

> cottage cheese, bleu cheese, smoked gouda etc. I am learning though.

>

>

>

> Linda

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

hi Linda, welcome to the group!

here's some links for you:

egg substitutes

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-1081.html

vegetarian cheese:

http://cheese.joyousliving.com/

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/cheese.htm

cheese is one of my favorite things, right up there with garlic and mushrooms!!

peace,

Angela

who I am is fine, it's just this body that's disabled!

" work your fingers to the bone, whatta ya get....

boney fingers, boney fingers "

Source: Boney Fingers by the late great Hoyt Axton

FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

Guest guest

Linda,

I completely understand what you're saying about the cost of healthy

food! It's frustrating, isn't it? I think every change you make,

even little ones or occasional ones, is better than nothing :)

Shelly

, " Linda C "

<muggle311@n...> wrote:

>

> Thanks Shelly so much

> I forgot i had her book it is not the ultimate one but just the

uncheese book. I will give them a try. I also have lots of vegan

books just run out of $$ at the store sometimes and cannot afford to

buy the stuff. That also is another hurdle for me. I am on such a

tight budget sometimes the real thing is just cheaper :-))). I am

going to do this slowly but I htink I can get there at least try a

few vegan days a week, adding mroe and more. I will get there

eventually.

> Thanks for the support.

> Linda

> -

> Shelly

>

> Saturday, November 05, 2005 6:24 PM

> Re: Introduction

>

>

> Hi, Linda,

>

> I'm new to the group myself :) Wanted to tell you to check out

the

> Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak. None of it

tastes

> like dairy cheese but there are some great recipes in there

(Cheez

> Please Soup, Betta Feta, Gee Whiz Spread). I've found that the

> longer it's been since I've eaten dairy the better the

substitutes

> taste. Good luck!

>

> Shelly

>

> , " Linda C "

> <muggle311@n...> wrote:

> >

> >

> > Hello Everyone

> >

> > I just joined in as I wanted to expand on my vegetarian ways

and

> maybe move more towards vegan eating. I have been a vegetarian

for

> almost 20 years now and have never ever missed meat.

> >

> > I would like to learn more on substituting for eggs, and

dairy

> and of course the cheese things. I love all kinds of cheese and

that

> has been my largest hurdle towards being vegan. I have yet to

find a

> substitute for cottage cheese, bleu cheese, smoked gouda etc. I

am

> learning though.

> >

> > Thanks for letting me join in.

> >

> >

> > Linda

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Hi, Susan, and welcome to a cruelty-free lifestyle.

Here are two sites with lots of good vegan info:

http://www.vrg.org

http://www.veganoutreach.org

And here's a popular veg*n discussion forum site with lots of people

happy to answer questions

http://www.veggieboards.com

> Hi,

>

> I've been eating a vegan diet since February this year and trying to

> incorperate more vegan/animal friendly lifestyle changes into my

> life. I am interested in incorporating more raw foods into my diet.

> I also could use some advice about which group would be a good one to

> join for vegan questions? Any suggestions? Thanks! I look forward

> to reading the posts about raw food. I do own a couple of raw foods

> books.

>

Guest guest

Thanks so much for the welcome and the suggestions!

Susan

--- Anthony D'Atri <aad wrote:

>

> Hi, Susan, and welcome to a cruelty-free lifestyle.

>

Guest guest

Welcome to Vegan Chat Barbara

I hope you like it here - please join in, or start a new thread

whenever you want.

Jo

, " drbhare " <drbhare> wrote:

>

> Hello all. I have been lurking for a few days to get a sense if this

> group was a good match for me. My name is Barbara and I am a 32 year

> old vegetarian in the US. Presently I live in Texas but I am from

> Arizona. I rarely consume any dairy and when I do, it is when I am

> outside the house. I have decided that it is now time to completely

> cut it from my diet, as well as nonvegan sugars and wine.

>

> I am pleased to find this group. Although there are moments in most

> vegan/veggies lives that can be trying, for the most part I have had

> it pretty good. In my family of origin, the vegetarians outnumber the

> meat eaters by one! And there are so many health issues that we are

> very accustomed to making accomodations for one another. I am living

> in Texas - far from my support systems - to complete the second to

> last hurdle in my professional training (the postdoc fellowship). I

> am struggling here, unfortunately. I live in a small community (pop

> 100,000) and am literally surrounded by very politically and

> religiously conservative carnivores. Some of my coworkers are great.

> Others are considerably intolerant and rude. One of whom is going to

> have to knock it off very soon. I have not yet decided how I will

> handle this person, as my efforts thus far have been unsuccessful.

>

> As I was saying, I am very happy to find an online community in which

> I can obtain some support. At minimum, it comforts me to see evidence

> that I am not the only liberal left!

>

> Barbara

>

Guest guest

Hello Barbara, Welcome to the list, ask and you shall receive. We have all sorts on here and an oracle by the name of Fraggle. I too live in a small community, with no vegans as far as I know. As for the hassle you are recieving, you havent stated whether they are male or female. or whether you can stand confontation or not. Bullies usually pick on the weak, in my experiance you only have to make a big stand once, then they back off. The Valley Vegan.............drbhare <drbhare wrote: Hello all. I have been lurking for a few days to get a sense if this group was a good match for me. My name is Barbara and I am a 32 year old vegetarian in the US. Presently I live in Texas but I am from Arizona. I rarely consume any dairy and when I do, it is when I am outside the

house. I have decided that it is now time to completely cut it from my diet, as well as nonvegan sugars and wine. I am pleased to find this group. Although there are moments in most vegan/veggies lives that can be trying, for the most part I have had it pretty good. In my family of origin, the vegetarians outnumber the meat eaters by one! And there are so many health issues that we are very accustomed to making accomodations for one another. I am living in Texas - far from my support systems - to complete the second to last hurdle in my professional training (the postdoc fellowship). I am struggling here, unfortunately. I live in a small community (pop 100,000) and am literally surrounded by very politically and religiously conservative carnivores. Some of my coworkers are great. Others are considerably intolerant and rude. One of whom is going to have to knock it off very soon. I have not yet decided how I will handle this

person, as my efforts thus far have been unsuccessful. As I was saying, I am very happy to find an online community in which I can obtain some support. At minimum, it comforts me to see evidence that I am not the only liberal left! Barbara

Guest guest

Hi Barbara,

We're glad that you have joined too!

Sounds like you have a very understanding family.

Feel free to ask any questions and/or share more stories.

, " drbhare " <drbhare> wrote:

>

> Hello all. I have been lurking for a few days to get a sense if

this

> group was a good match for me. My name is Barbara and I am a 32

year

> old vegetarian in the US. Presently I live in Texas but I am from

> Arizona. I rarely consume any dairy and when I do, it is when I am

> outside the house. I have decided that it is now time to

completely

> cut it from my diet, as well as nonvegan sugars and wine.

>

> I am pleased to find this group. Although there are moments in

most

> vegan/veggies lives that can be trying, for the most part I have

had

> it pretty good. In my family of origin, the vegetarians outnumber

the

> meat eaters by one! And there are so many health issues that we

are

> very accustomed to making accomodations for one another. I am

living

> in Texas - far from my support systems - to complete the second to

> last hurdle in my professional training (the postdoc fellowship).

I

> am struggling here, unfortunately. I live in a small community

(pop

> 100,000) and am literally surrounded by very politically and

> religiously conservative carnivores. Some of my coworkers are

great.

> Others are considerably intolerant and rude. One of whom is going

to

> have to knock it off very soon. I have not yet decided how I will

> handle this person, as my efforts thus far have been unsuccessful.

>

> As I was saying, I am very happy to find an online community in

which

> I can obtain some support. At minimum, it comforts me to see

evidence

> that I am not the only liberal left!

>

> Barbara

>

Guest guest

Yes, Peter VV does tend to pick on the weak, but don't worry the rest

of us will protect you!

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

>

> Hello Barbara,

> Welcome to the list, ask and you shall receive. We have all sorts

on here and an oracle by the name of Fraggle.

> I too live in a small community, with no vegans as far as I know.

As for the hassle you are recieving, you havent stated whether they

are male or female. or whether you can stand confontation or not.

Bullies usually pick on the weak, in my experiance you only have to

make a big stand once, then they back off.

>

> The Valley Vegan.............