IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Soma Juice

Favorite mantra

Rate this topic

Aum Namo Narayanaya

"I offer my obeisances to that Absolute

Who is the Sustainer of All Being"

This Vedic mantra is first revealed in the Narayanopanishad and was taught by many great Vaishnava Acharyas, including Sri Ramanuja Acharya.

OM swaami-naaraaya,na

It is only one word after OM, it means O LORD GOD.

This is enough.

I do believe Krsna is love, Krsna is the supreme deity. But Krsna mantras are for few people really. A meat eater, especially a cow eater can never use a Krsna mantra. Also if you have to command respect at your job, Krsna mantras do not help you, because you become like Krsna, so people want to play and joke with you, i.e. familiarity breeds contempt. So in this case it is better to address the deity as NAARAAYA,NA or some other impressive form of Visnu. For example, in a website i found a mantra given by sage agastya

OM hriim wiiraaya nama:

(OM hrIm vIrAya namaH)

this may be very good, but i have not tested it sufficiently.

OM swaami-naaraaya,na

It is only one word after OM, it means O LORD GOD.

This is enough.

I do believe Krsna is love, Krsna is the supreme deity. But Krsna mantras are for few people really. A meat eater, especially a cow eater can never use a Krsna mantra. Also if you have to command respect at your job, Krsna mantras do not help you, because you become like Krsna, so people want to play and joke with you, i.e. familiarity breeds contempt. So in this case it is better to address the deity as NAARAAYA,NA or some other impressive form of Visnu. For example, in a website i found a mantra given by sage agastya

OM hriim wiiraaya nama:

(OM hrIm vIrAya namaH)

this may be very good, but i have not tested it sufficiently.

What's your basis for saying that? It sounds like another concoction of your imperfect mind, or of some silly website.

It is the Gayatri Mantra - Rig Veda (iii, 62, 10)

॥ ॐ भूर्भुवः स्वः तत् सवितुर्वरेण्यं भर्गो देवस्य धीमहिधियो यो नः प्रचोदयात् ॥

<dl><dd>oṃ bhūr bhuvaḥ svaḥ</dd><dd>(a) tat savitur vareṇyaṃ</dd><dd>(b) bhargo devasya dhīmahi</dd><dd>© dhiyo yo naḥ prachodayāt</dd></dl>OM BHUR, OM BHUVAHA, OM SWAHA, OM MAHAHA, OM JANAHA,

OM TAPAHA, OM SATYAM, OM TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM

BHARGHO DEVASYA DHIMAHI DHIYO YONAHA PRACHODAYAT

Just as a medicine is for an individual, so every mantra is for a different person and for healing certain problems. There is only one mantra perfect for all people regardless of religion and circumstances: the saawitrii gaayatri, quoted above. See my signature regarding pronunciation.

Shriimad Bhagawatam says that all people like reading about Krsná , except the pashughnaas (animal killers). The pashughnaas will not like Krsná, and they will hate anyone worshipping Krsná.

I live in a society of meat eaters; you cannot talk to them about Krsná; they will say you r stupid. I know a few people here attracted by Hinduism, but they only respect Shiwa and not Krsná.

Shrila Prabhupada says that "familiarity brings contempt", that is why Krsná was attacked by many envious enemies. Krsná is pure love, so the devotee of Krsná becomes similar to Krsná, and therefore people that are different become envious and try to harm the true devotee. So it is often necessary to worship Visnu in some other form, e.g. OM NAMO NAARAAYA,NAAYA.

In a society of meat eaters, it is best to propagate the saawitrii gaayatrii; this will enlighten their mind, so after some time they can be vaaisnavaas.

I know my mind is imperfect, but i think that what i say is logical and based on Shriimad Bhagawatam.

I prefer MahaMantra but if I can't pick that then I like Om namo Narayanaya.

I don't know if this counts as a mantra but I also like Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo, Kashi Vishvanatha Gange. I spent a lot of time in Varanasi and heard this every evening before aarti. :)

I prefer MahaMantra but if I can't pick that then I like Om namo Narayanaya.

I don't know if this counts as a mantra but I also like Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo, Kashi Vishvanatha Gange. I spent a lot of time in Varanasi and heard this every evening before aarti. :)

If you r a Shaiva, use Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo, Kashi Vishvanatha Gange. These all are Lord Shiva's names. Hara is Shiva, and Hare means "in Shiva", so "belonging to Shiva".

If you r a Vaisnava, prefer OM NAMO NAARAAYA,NAAYA it is said this is an omnipotent mantra.

May God enlighten you to choose what is best.

If you r a Shaiva, use Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo, Kashi Vishvanatha Gange. These all are Lord Shiva's names. Hara is Shiva, and Hare means "in Shiva", so "belonging to Shiva".

If you r a Vaisnava, prefer OM NAMO NAARAAYA,NAAYA it is said this is an omnipotent mantra.

May God enlighten you to choose what is best.

I am Vaisnav, to me Krishna/Vishnu is the supreme lord but I have a lot of respect for Lord Shiva. I really feel like if it were not for his kindness to me a few years back, I would not have found Lord Krishna in this life. Or perhaps it was Krishna's kindness through Shiva. I don't really know but either way I respect him.

:)

Hari Om!

I am Vaisnav, to me Krishna/Vishnu is the supreme lord but I have a lot of respect for Lord Shiva. I really feel like if it were not for his kindness to me a few years back, I would not have found Lord Krishna in this life. Or perhaps it was Krishna's kindness through Shiva. I don't really know but either way I respect him.

:)

Hari Om!

What you say is wise.

You must not use a mantra out of obligation; You should not use it because you HAVE TO; Use it because you love the mantra and the deity.

By the way, if you r in love with Krsna, a good mantra to address him is

OM GOWINDA DAAMODARA MAADhAWA. (A famous line from the Shriimad Bhagawatam). If you wish, i can record and send a sample to you.

You are a true Vaishnava and you will really go far beyond worshiping Shri Krishna,those who set God Shiva as his guru being vaishana never gets any problem in their bhakti.Your bhakti is pure of nature and will blossom all the time around you.I am seeing a picture that you are standing near Maa Ganga and listening arti,wow what a feeling you must be getting at that time!You are lucky.

Hare Krishna dear Lokeshvaraji.

Say 'Ome Sai ram. ' He is Shiva. He is Vishnu. He is Brahma. He is Shakti. He is Ganesha. He is Hanuman. He is Subrahmanya. He is Ayyappa.

Anantha koti brahmanda Nayaka Rajadhi raja Yogi Raja Para brahma Sri sachidananda sai raj Maharaj Ki jai.

I agree with honoring Lord Shiva, although I am not a Saivite whenever I am confused about anything, I chant "Om Namah Shivaya". Shiva destroys illusions so that a path is made clear to me. Now admittedly, sometimes that path is uncomfortable and I try to avoid it - that is what illusions are all about.

Om Eim Hrim Klim Chamundayei Vicche Namaha. This is a Chamundi mantra that encourages confidence and self-worth. It means "Om and salutations to She who is radiant with power and wisdom."

I believe Gayatri Mantra is the appropriate mantra to start spiritual journey. It is called the entrance of the Vedas. Because it takes person from I (self) to We (group). It extends the bhavana. It gives person a new birth by making him from selfish person to a selfless person. What can be better than this. It is very short mantra. You can find lot more information about it very easily and every where. Any more question, I will be glad to try to help you.

I don't have any favourite mantra. I personally feel the mantras for Lord Shiva are very powerful to the ear while the mantras for Lord Vishnu are soft and mellifluous. Neverthless, "Om Nama Shivaya" and "Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara" are on my lips all the time!