IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
thehat

Advice for a sick man

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna everyone,

My grandfather is sick in hospital, he may be near death - I don't really know, but It seems plausible as he is old. And I did happen to have a dream featuring crows a week ago. Though this is really mental speculation, apparently a dream featuring that element refers to death.

I would like to give him some nice advice, do you think suggesting that he chant the Maha mantra in his present remaining/available time is good?

I know he is very religious, so he may be doing things - I think they had a pandit go in and visit him, so maybe they're doing something good already..

Though this situation is very difficult for my parents, I seem to acknowledge within myself that though this is sad, sickness and death comes with the body. And Krishna did speak a lot on this matter of death. So I have a philosophical bearing in regards to tolerating such things. Maybe saying that makes me sound horrible - I just don't feel that terribly shaken to be honest.

Death will come to everyone close to me and I will grieve, maybe, - but internally I understand that this all part of the material worlds nature.

So please fellow devotees could you please suggest to me some good things to do or advise my grandfather in? I would suggest him to read something, but I don't think he's very able to do such a thing.

Thank you, Gauranga !

Some years ago I had this neighbour who was a severe alcoholic, and throat cancer finally bought him to his last days in the body. He was very lonely man. I will never foget the day before he left his body. I was just sitting there not speaking. Just sitting. He reached out and held my hand and squeezed it with his bit of strength left. His eyes shone bright at that moment (he saw)...and in my heart I heard him say thank you.:)

I would just be there in presence, chant internally, be fully conscious of the last days with your grandpa. I would just be fully present for him. Definately I would not preach to him. Some devotees may strongly disagree with me on that point.

If you are fully conscious and aware with him in these last days you will never forget it. And you will cherish that moment for many years to come.

Thats what I would do.

Jaya Nityananda! Jaya Gauranga!

y.s.

Hello,

Although i am very novice at this, i suggest that he should chant hare krsna mahamantra and just think of lord krsna, as it is said in bhagvat gita that anyone who leaves this material world remembering Krsna, he will surely attain Krsna. Its very sad to know that you are going through this. I will pray for ur grandfather. May krsna bless him and also ur family.

I have heard people do mahamritunjaya mantra. I suggest u take advice of other learned people here in this forum. Also, you can go to ISKCON temple near u and ask whats right to do ... i am sure they can help u in this matter

hare krsna

Take care :)

Ramraksha Stotra is very useful for curing major illness.

Pls ask him to start reading Bhagavatam or recite at his place. Even a word of Bhagavatam which is heard by a person who is going to die is liberated & gets Krishna's divine abode.

This is what I can advisewith my little knowledge.

Pranaam

Thank you all for your kind words. I just visited him, he is either going to be released tomorrow or there will be some serious condition. At present they don't know the cause.

A pandit visited him today and recited some mantra. I would like to give him japa beads, but I don't know if other family members would appreciate that.

I am sorry to hear this about your grandfather...even though we understand that life and death is an inevitable cycle, the humanity in us can't tolerate the pains we experience of others.

When my own grandfather was in the same state my father read the shrimad bhagvat out loud and our entire family would spend the evenings with him. There was a noticable peace in my grandfathers eyes when he heard katha. also we would sing bhajans and kept a pure, stress free enviornment around him. I will vouhce that it really bought a smile to his face in the midst of the physical pain he was feeling.

Nevertheless, please chant the Lord's name...even if one starts Krishna conciousness on there death bed...it is carried with them to there next journey and this seed will grow into a full plant that reaches straight back to godhead.

Jai Shri Krishna

chant hare krsna at his side. Once a devotee wrote his experiencie at the moment of dead of his father (non devotee). Hih father was in coma and he start chanting the mahamantra for various days beside him and then He woke up and saw a Lion-man (Lord Nrishimha). His father said: Oh! who is Him? I don't know Him and has a Lion Face, He is saying me that I should chant that mantra (Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare) his son become extatic and Understood that the same Lord came to save his father, Then his father started to chant the mahamantra and left the body (maybe the same day I don't know). After that his body was incinerated and the Incinerator said: is the first time that I see so wonderful shinning ashes like gems.

sorry for my English but that was the history, just chant hare Krsna incessantly at his side and everywhere and pray for him

Hare Krsna!

I am sorry to hear this about your grandfather...even though we understand that life and death is an inevitable cycle, the humanity in us can't tolerate the pains we experience of others.

When my own grandfather was in the same state my father read the shrimad bhagvat out loud and our entire family would spend the evenings with him. There was a noticable peace in my grandfathers eyes when he heard katha. also we would sing bhajans and kept a pure, stress free enviornment around him. I will vouhce that it really bought a smile to his face in the midst of the physical pain he was feeling.

Nevertheless, please chant the Lord's name...even if one starts Krishna conciousness on there death bed...it is carried with them to there next journey and this seed will grow into a full plant that reaches straight back to godhead.

Jai Shri Krishna

That sounds so beautiful, you have a wonderful family.

Thanks skippy for sharing your personal insight, you've motivated me to actually try and be present as long as he's there.

CCC, I want to chant, I want to give him japa, and I can so long as other family members, namely my grandma or mother would allow me to do so.

Just an Idea:

Also Play a recording of Srila Prabhupada Chanting and/or bhajans by Srila Prabhupada.

Have some Maha-sweets to put into his mouth before passing.

The "Isopanisad" has verses for those on the brink of leaving the body --surely your grandfather will allow you to read sastra to him, when no-one is around to distract his attention.

Also "Tarpana": Offer Maha-sweets to a picture of your Grandfather yearly after Pitama's departure.

Once a friend of mine invited his elderly parents to his house, He hasn't seen them for a long time. In the house his mother took the Srimad Bhagavatam out of curiosity read some verses and left the body eek2.gif. His grandson watched what happened and very calm explained to his father: Grandma was reading the book about god and died.

Thanks bhaktajan, you've made me want to read to him, If i'm allowed I'll ask a brahmin what are some good passages to read. Unfortunately he won't be able to eat. He was a problem with digestion. Some of tube of his isn't working.

CCC, that was a very nice story. I would like to pass in a similar way to the grandmother. Or at least, fully submerged in thoughts of Krishna.

I would just be there in presence, chant internally, be fully conscious of the last days with your grandpa. I would just be fully present for him. Definately I would not preach to him. Some devotees may strongly disagree with me on that point.

Haribol.

I do agree that hard core preaching is a little bit too strong when at the end the person needs more love and support. But if he has questions, or seems fearful I would definitely try to calm him by explaining that he is the soul, not the body. It might be helpful if he is afraid of death. I don't know, it is just a humble suggestion.

Apart from that chant, and if he has any appetite give him prasadam. He should take a little charanamrita every day if he can.

Respected Thehat,

How is your grand father now??? Any improvement in his health!

Pranaam<!-- v3 Arcade --><!-- /v3 Arcade -->........ type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1088970", true); .........>

at this time give him tulsi do not agitate his mind with speculations or yours but remain present while you internally chant and pay every attention to his needs without interfering gently sing to him and be glad of your service jai prabhupada