IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

God teaches meditation.....kinda

Rate this topic

Told to me as a true story of one "yogis" bad stage performance at a Texas University in 69. True or not I don't care it is very illustrative.

The auditorium was filled with students who came to hear this enlightened yogi teach meditation. The yogi came on stage and the auditorium became quite. After a short talk he asked the students to close their eyes and he would teach them a meditation anyone could do in their spare time.

He told them to silently repeat to themselves and visualize like this.

"I Am the life giving energy of the Sun. I Am the planets that orbit the Sun. I Am the force behind the movements of all the heavenly bodies in the universe..." etc. etc.

Everybody was getting real high to hear they were the center of the universe afterall just as they had secretly suspected when the yogi stopped abruptly and apologized for having to leave the stage early due to an abcessed tooth.

I hope this Gawd had a good dentist to ease his pain.

The mind, thinks itself apart from the creator. It then proceeds to spin a world around you based on this principle. Thinking takes priority over feeling. "Satan" now rules.

The mind has no range in the spiritual realms. It cannot "feel". This is it's hell. And the world it creates without feeling is cold and harsh and calculating.

Only when the contact with the heart is restored does the mind move out of the driver's seat.

The result of which is a person who feels all of creation. And ultimately, even the line between creator and created fades away.

x

It's quite funny actually the subject of teeth. In Australia we have public health for dentistry. With older age the old teeth are not so good. The health clinic said it will be a five year wait for me for treatment... I said 'oh really, well I will see you in five years for a new set':).

Even Sai Baba made prophecies that his body would not age. Last I heard he uses the aid of a wheelchair sometimes these days.

So I wonder with great potential and abilities (siddhis) of the mind....is the idea 'I am all omniscient' the last step in self-delusion. And one of the follies of spiritual man's quest.

Maybe it would be better to ring out St Francis's words, 'sister death'. Rather than 'I am God'.

Why does the spiritualist make such a claim that he is God? Can it be because we are parts of God we have similar inclinations and dispositions? The parts must align with the whole ofcourse...then we are not deluded of what we truly are.

Simultaneous Oneness and Difference - I read the other day that as love develops, the feeling of difference increases, and the feeling of oneness diminishes to an extent. To enhance the rasa and exchange of loving dealings.

Even on the mundane plain the merit of relishing difference can be justified these days! So why deny it in the perfect spiritual existence...why deny difference it's merit there? Is it because of the suffering difference has caused us in our imperfect earthly realm. Because of our inability to find harmony here.

The auditorium was filled with students who came to hear this enlightened yogi teach meditation.

This is meditation, to study diligently

"Just like in the cinema spool there are so many pictures changing, but it is changing so quickly that we are seeing one picture moving. So that is our ignorance.

20styzk.gif

But actually there are thousands of pictures changing in a moment, and you see that one picture is moving. Why do you not study in this way? Similarly, every second, our body is changing, just like spool, one after another, one after another, one after another. But I am… The spirit soul is there, just like the cinema spool is changing, but the seer is there. That is one, although the pictures are changing. Similarly, we are nitya. Nitya means eternal. And we are nitya. Then why God should be dead? They say, “God is dead.” And what is foolishness? You are part and parcel of God, you are living, you are existing, and why the original soul should be dead?

So these are our foolishness. Meditation means to think over all this subject matter very intelligently, not like a rascal, that “If I am person, why God should be imperson? If I am eternal, why God should be dead?” This is meditation, to study diligently. If I have got an instinct to love others, so why God shall not, God will not have this instinct to love others? If I have got attraction for the opposite sex, why God should not have? Why He should not be attracted by Rādhārāṇī? Very simple truth. And why Rādhārāṇī should not be attracted by Kṛṣṇa? But the difference is: here everything is false. False means the attraction is not real attraction. But there the attraction is real. Here I am attracted with a boy, with a girl—after six months, finished. Because there are so many defects, therefore the attraction does not exist. It is all defective. This body is false, false in the sense it is an imitation. Just like you see one idol in the dress shop, very nice girl standing, but it is a false; similarly, this body made of material elements is not our real body. False. Similarly, the girl’s body is false. Therefore, because false, the so- called love and attraction is also false. Therefore our so-called love breaks. There is no love here. It cannot be. There cannot be any love. This is… That tendency is there, but due to this material contamination, lust is going on in the name of love. Actually it is lust."

Ratha-yātrā Lecture

by His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda

Los Angeles, July 1, 1971

710701LE.LA