IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Svarupa

Merry Krishna and a happy Hare Rama!

Rate this topic

Thank you for your sweet devotion! Hail Mary comes from the words Ave Maria. Ave means "all offer obeisances" or "all bow down" and the "ave" was uttered by an angel. Hence in saying Ave Marie, "Hail Mary" we unite to all of the devas offering obeisance to Mary!

In fact, more than one of Srila Prabupada's devotees agree that Jesus can only be understood by (through) Mary.

Peace and love,

Her Servant and yours.

Below are some of her names known in east and west.

----

RADHA is ... RHODA is...

1 RADHA RHODA, ROSE

2 HARE KORE

3 SHAKTI SHEKINAH, SEKHET

4 NARI, NARAYANI MARY, MARIAM, JUNO MARINA

5 ISHVARI ISHISH (Hebrew), ISIS

6 YAUVANI JUVENTAS

7 VASUDEVI BASILEA

8 DEVI THEA, DIA

9 RAJANI, RANI REGINA

10 TARA, ASTRAYA STELLA, ASTERIA

11 'Lunar' ROHINI LUCHINA

12 PADME (LOTUS) NYMPHIA (LOTUS)

13 JIVA SHAKTI HEVE SHEKINAH (EVE), ZOE, BIA, BA (Egypt), HEBE

14 LAKSMI FORTUNA-MONETA (TYCHE as LADY LUCK)

15 SARASVATI SARA-CHOKMAH-SHEKINAH

16 HARINI CORONIS

17 TULASI BASILEA as MOTHER MOST TOLERANT(TULA)

Regarding the Christian's Trinity, I believe it is called God, the Holy Ghost, and the son. Person in Krishna Consciousness accepts this by the name Visnu, Paramatma, and Jiva. God is a Person, the holy spirit or the supersoul is a person, and the living entity is also a person. Also, Mary is the representation of the energy of God. Either as internal energy Radharani or as external energy Durga, the energy of Godhead can be considered the mother of the living entities. But there is no clash between the Bible and the Vedas, simply some people formulate their personal ideas and cause quarrelings. - Letter to: Sivananda

--

New York

19 April, 1968

68-04-19

I know it in Italian and English. In Italian, the first words are: Ave O Maria! It's one of my favorite prayers. I absolutely love of thinking of Hindu Devas like Indra and Varuna bowing down in front of the humble maiden of Nazareth! :D How cute! Wow... the only similarities I've ever noticed were "Regina" and "Rani" and "Devi" and "Dia".... I'd never noticed the other ones! How amazing! Wow! Srila Prabhupada thought of Mary as either Radharani or Sri Parvati Devi! I always thought of Her as the combined essence of both (and Saraswati) like Vaishno Devi, how She is all the members of the Goddess Trinity (Devi Trimurti? Is that a term?) in one. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us! She displays the given traits of each of them:

1. She's Krishna's handmaiden and bride (Srimati Radharani)

2. She destroys all evil (Parvati Mata/ Durga)

3. She shows Her wisdom in the Magnificat (Saraswati Mata)

Well, at least, that's how I've always understood Her! :)

Jai Radhe-Maria! Jai Sri Yeshu ki Jai! Jai Sri Krishna!

THE TRUE STORY OF A FOLLOWER OF JESUS WHO PRAYED TO HIM TO BE USED IN GODS PLAN

I know one story of a young man who eventually became a devotee of Lord Krshna by first going into the main Cathedral in Melbourne to pray to Jesus. In the Church he went down on his knees and, with tears in his eyes, prayed to Jesus, "Please use me in your service, in your plan, my life is now useless, it is better you use me in your plan to spread God Consciousness" He prayed like this for about an hour, then to his suprise, a young devotee in safron robes walked in the Church (Shamananda dasa is a brilliant artist who was admiring the various paintings there). This young man was very moved by the devotee's simplicity and new the mumbling he was hearing must be like the rosary, he was chanting the names of God.

This young man took this as a gift and message of seeing this devotee of Krishna, as an answer to his prayers from Jesus, who was showing him the way.

This young man was amazed at the presents of this young saintly devotee of Krishna and without knowing anything about Krishna, he developed even more tears in his eyes seeing this young devotee as the direct answers to hs prayers. He never took his eyes off Shamananda dasa and when the devotee left, the young man followed him out and watched what he thought was one of Gods angles, walk up the street.

The young man (19 years of age) then walked no more than ten yards up Swanston st, when a bubbling young girl in her mid teens (Krsnapremi dasi) approached him in a beautiful sari with flowers in her hair "Hari Bol'' she said, then continued. " I’m with the Hare Krishna Movement and hear is our magazine Back to Godhead, we are having a love feast tomorrow, come along and experience the ecstasy of Krishna Consciousness” This young man was blown away, as they used to say back then, he was thrilled, he truly believed Jesus had answered his prayers.

Probably the most astonishing thing was when he turned up the next day (February 18th 1972); it was Lord Caitanya’s appearance day. He even played the part of Hari dasa Thakur in a play (because he had a beard) where Lord Nityananda was hit in the head by a clay pot.

Lord Caitanya (played by Kurma dasa) instructed Lord Nityananda Prabhu (played by Ajita dasa) and Haridasa Thakur (played by the young man who only the day before was praying in a Church for direction from Jesus) to go to every one's house in Nadiya and request them to chant <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:City w:st=<st1:place w:st=" /><st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>’s name. The two great devotees eagerly set forth and began to knock on each and every door with the request, "please chant Krishna’s name, worship Krishna and teach others about <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>." They were happily received by the pious people, while the envious would blaspheme them.

Completely unconcerned by favourable or unfavourable reactions they proceeded around the town. In Nadiya there lived two very sinful brothers called Jagai and Madhai (Played by Upananda dasa and Sanak dasa) Jagai and Madhai were born in pious Brahman families however, due to bad association they had become meat eaters, drunkards, thieves and arsonists. There was no crime that they had not committed, including the most abominable sin of killing cows and Brahmans. The entire town was terrified of these two persons who seemed to be the very personification of all sinful activities.

On the day Nityananda Prabhu and Haridasa Thakur were moving in the town, these two brothers, completely intoxicated were alternatively fighting and embracing each other. After observing them for some time Nityananda Prabhu compassionately decided to deliver them and thus approached them.

Despite the warnings of the town people Lord Nityananda and Haridasa Thakur, approached the two drunkards instructing them to chant the holy name of the Lord. Hearing these words the two sinners looked up and seeing the two saintly figures roared in anger. They leapt up and ran to catch the two sannyasis. The two devotees fled at the sight of the attacking brothers. Apparently terrified they shouted, "<st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>! Save us!! Govinda!," and ran.

The two brothers where wondered off in their drunken condition along the banks of the <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> where Caitanya Mahaprabhu bathed. Constantly drunk, they started harassing and terrorizing the devotees. Eventually Nityananda and Haridasa went to the <st1:place w:st="on">Ganges</st1:place> to see Lord Caitanya though, were again accosted by the two brothers. On seeing Lord Nityananda, Madhai became furious and struck Him with a broken earthen pot. When Jagai saw the blood flow from the wound, he became compassionate and restrained his brother. While Nityananda Prabhu patiently stood, looking at the brothers with compassion, tolerating the pain and humiliation, Haridasa ran to tell Caitanya Mahaprabhu about the incident.

Hearing that Nityananda Prabhu had been hurt by the brothers, Caitanya Mahaprabhu ran towards them with the intention to kill them. He summoned His chakra which looked like death personified to the two terrified brothers. However Nityananda Prabhu quickly intervened and begged Caitanya Mahaprabhu to stop. He reminded Him of His mission to kill the sinners by saturating them with love of Godhead. Thus appeased the Lord took back His chakra.

Nityananda Prabhu told Caitanya Mahaprabhu that it was Jagai who had saved Him from further harm at Madhai's hand. Hearing this Caitanya Mahaprabhu said to Jagai, "Lord Krishna be merciful to you. By protecting Nityananda you have purchased Me. You may ask any desire you have in your heart. From today on you will have pure love and devotion for <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>" Hearing this Jagai fell at the feet of the two Lords and grasping the feet of Caitanya Mahaprabhu wept.

Seeing the wonderful transformation in his brother, a remorseful Madhai begged for the mercy of the Lord. However, since he had committed the worst of all offences, that of attacking a Vaishnava, the Lord did not even consider all his pitiful pleas for mercy.

Only after Madhai grasped the feet of Nityananda Prabhu and received His mercy that Caitanya Mahaprabhu agree to deliver Madhai also.

That night the young man who took directions from Jesus, joined the <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Temple</st1:place></st1:City> and eventually become initiated by Srila Prabhupada. To this very day he is thankful to Jesus who directed him to Srila Prabhupada who in turn began teaching him about <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>’s pastimes.

Like all the interesting devotees on these threads, this is what happens to a real dedicated Christian, everyone has their story of how they came to Krishna Consciousness

RadheRade1657, theist, HerServant, Beggar, gHari and anyone else, for the history books, how did you guys see Krishna Consciousness as a further understanding of the teachings of Jesus or Jehovah?

Below is an example of what is done IN THE NAME OF JESUS and as far as I am concerned, the men in this story threating Prabhupada do NOT represent the real caring teachings of Jesus

My experience of modern day fundamentalist Christianity is as follows.

In 1976 I was Srila Prabhupada’s Body guard and not only stayed out the front of his room, but slept there as well. At the time four well shaven suited men, all in their forties would always come by the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Temple</st1:place></st1:City> harassing us with high teak cameras and listening devices. (Keep in mind that the average age of a devotee back then was twenty five so these adult men were pretty scary) They would also follow us our on street Sankirtan, film us and try intimating us. These men where part of the Catholic Church that dealt with threats to the Church's youth being converted to other faiths. One afternoon Pushta Krishna Maharaj went down to speak to them and one of them, in a barrage of abuse, threatened to kill Srila Prabhupada. Pushta Krishna Maharaj was horrified what these men had said and was reluctant to even repeat it however; he did tell only a few devotees that Prabhupada’s life had been threatened. Hari Sauri prabhu, Srila Prabhupada's servant, was appalled and discussed that a pure devotee of <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> was threatened in this way and so concerned we bought a shot gun, although I would of preferred a Mini 14 with a thirty round mag. The next day I was outside hiding in a car out the front of 'Prabhupada's House' as these men walk past, when I opened the door, one pulled out a hand gun. Amoga dasa was at the front gate and out of fear, I crawled the front wall of the <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Temple</st1:place></st1:City>, about 7 feet high at the time, so quickly that Amoga was astonished. We told Prabhupada what had had happened and he said ‘Then our movement is having some success, these men feel threatened’ we called the police and they spoke with them and Ugrashava dasa.

The police did nothing, they new who he was, while Ugrashava just called them dogs of the Catholic Church among other things. The ring leader had been knighted by the Pope, a private detective and a rumoured hit man. At night I would stay out on the balcony of Prabhupada’s House with the shot gun, staying awake watching Srila Prabhupada translate late into the night. Even though the night was freezing cold out on the balcony, watching Srila Prabhupada gave me warmth as he translated and had his late night massage, which was truly amazing. Then, after Hari Sauri prabhu left the room, he would go around to all the windows and doors to make sure they where locked.

For days these men intimidated devotee and guests but we were told to ignore them, except for Ugrashave Prabhu who constantly gave them lip to let them know that nothing they could do could scare us because we had <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> on our side

A week after Srila Prabhupada had left a drive by shooting occurred and gunshots went through one of the windows - Kurma dasa's room. He was there at the time and was fortunately unhurt. The next day it made page two of the paper. A few months after that someone through a small bomb over the back fence exploding in one of the cars, which made the first bulletin on the evening news. The out cry of the public seemed to stop any further attacks from these Catholic fundamentalist fanatics.

During all these attacks we remembered what Srila Prabhupada had said – ‘Then our movement is having some success, these men feel threatened’ Hare Krishna

Sarva Ghatta: << <LIKE p Consciousness Krishna to came they how of story their has everyone Christian, dedicated real a happens what is this threads, these on devotees interesting the all <>RadheRade1657, theist, HerServant, Beggar, gHari and anyone else, for the history books, how did you guys see Krishna Consciousness as a further understanding of the teachings of Jesus or Jehovah?>>

Well... I used to be Catholic. But, I'd always had several ideas regarding religion:

1. All religions are equal paths to God; no one path is better than another.

2. All deities are different forms of God. Allah is a name of God, Jesus Christ is God's son and one with God, Rama is an incarnation of God, so is Lord Buddha.

3. Reincarnation. I mean, it only makes sense!

4. There is a feminine form of God.

5. God has incarnated more than once (I was always interested in other religions, so I knew of the many famous God-men of religious traditions ancient and modern). I mean, why would God just appear once in Israel 2000 years ago? Why not appear before that and also in modern times?

Well, I read the whole Bible, and tacked on there:

6. The Old Testament is cruel and unjust. It can't be the actual word of God. Yahweh is not the God of Jesus. Jesus spoke of love and forgiveness. Yahweh spoke of injustice and hatred. This cannot be the God that Jesus spoke of.

So, I told the priest at my church of my views one day, and he treated me like a heretic (which, in Catholicism, I guess I am one). So, I went religion shopping, since Catholicism clearly wasn't the religion for me.

I discovered the Sanatan Dharma (I read about Jesus visiting India, and wanted to learn more about the religion He had followed), and it taught everything that I already believed (excluding the Yahweh-Jesus connection... that's obviously personal choice)! I was thrilled to say the least! I absolutely fell in love with Sri Radha-Krishna. When I learned of a sect devoted to Them, I was even more excited by my new religion. So, that's my spiritual journey summed up. :)

Jai Sri Radhe-Maria! Jai Sri Yeshu-Krishna ki jai!

Sarva Ghatta: << <LIKE p < all the interesting devotees on these threads, this is what happens a real dedicated Christian, everyone has their story of how they came to Krishna Consciousness>RadheRade1657, theist, HerServant, Beggar, gHari and anyone else, for the history books, how did you guys see Krishna Consciousness as a further understanding of the teachings of Jesus or Jehovah?>>

Well... I used to be Catholic. But, I'd always had several ideas regarding religion:

2. All deities are different forms of God. Allah is a name of God, Jesus Christ is God's son and one with God, Rama is an incarnation of God, so is Lord Buddha.

5. God has incarnated more than once (I was always interested in other religions, so I knew of the many famous God-men of religious traditions ancient and modern). I mean, why would God just appear once in Israel 2000 years ago? Why not appear before that and also in modern times?

6. The Old Testament is cruel and unjust. It can't be the actual word of God. Yahweh is not the God of Jesus. Jesus spoke of love and forgiveness. Yahweh spoke of injustice and hatred. This cannot be the God that Jesus spoke of.

So, I told the priest at my church of my views one day, and he treated me like a heretic (which, in Catholicism, I guess I am one). So, I went religion shopping, since Catholicism clearly wasn't the religion for me.

I discovered the Sanatan Dharma (I read about Jesus visiting India, and wanted to learn more about the religion He had followed), and it taught everything that I already believed (excluding the Yahweh-Jesus connection... that's obviously personal choice)! I was thrilled to say the least! I absolutely fell in love with Sri Radha-Krishna. When I learned of a sect devoted to Them, I was even more excited by my new religion. So, that's my spiritual journey summed up. :)

Wonderful and inspiring story that it brought tears to my eyes. Jai, Hare Bol!! All glories to Radhe Rade

Like all the interesting devotees on these threads, this is what happens to a real dedicated Christian, everyone has their story of how they came to Krishna Consciousness

Like RadheRade1657 story, PLEASE LETS HEAR MORE, theist, HerServant, Beggar, gHari, indulekhadasi, Guruvani, Krsna and anyone else, for the history books, how did you guys see Krishna Consciousness as a further understanding of the teachings of Jesus or Jehovah? Or even Allah, Buddha or demigod worshipers. Even those born devotees, what is the story of you parents?

Wonderful and inspiring story that it brought tears to my eyes. Jai, Hare Bol!! All glories to Radhe Rade

Like RadheRade1657 story, PLEASE LETS HEAR MORE, theist, HerServant, Beggar, gHari, indulekhadasi, Guruvani, Krsna and anyone else, for the history books, how did you guys see Krishna Consciousness as a further understanding of the teachings of Jesus or Jehovah? Or even Allah, Buddha or demigod worshipers. Even those born devotees, what is the story of you parents?

Hare Krishna.

I was born in and I am raised in a KC family, but my mom's story has something to do with Lord Jesus.

She came to America at the age of 4 and became influenced by American culture. She went to catholic school in Jersey city because it was safer. She felt very much connected to Lord Jesus.

At the age of 10 she saw Prabhupada for a little bit in the famous NY Ratha Yatra 1966.

Her mom died when she was only 11. When she died many questions were coming into her mind, especially- where does the soul go? Exactly one year later after her mom's death she found a BTG in her mailbox. She stayed up the whole night reading it and the next day she told her dad that- I had already found the son of God and now I have found my God, too.

As we are Bengalis, many of her aunts and uncles forced her to eat fish. She cried from age 12-14 to Krishna to help her become a vegetarian. Finally she decided when she was 14 that she wouldn't touch meat, fish or eggs anymore. And from that time on she also started chanting 16 rounds and going to temple. She finally got initiated when she was 18, and is continuing to practice Krishna Consciousness today.

Haribol.

Jai Nitai!

indulekhadasi

Sarva Ghatta: << <LIKE p Consciousness Krishna to came they how of story their has everyone Christian, dedicated real a happens what is this threads, these on devotees interesting the all <>RadheRade1657, theist, HerServant, Beggar, gHari and anyone else, for the history books, how did you guys see Krishna Consciousness as a further understanding of the teachings of Jesus or Jehovah?>>

Very interesting.

We have to understand that every institutionalized religion has failings. This has to do with the influence of maya and our human tendencies/attractions to the tamasic, rajastic, and sattvic.

In fact, your "priest" did not even fully understand Catholic teaching of "Lumen Gentium". That is the catholic church does not reject Truth in any other religion. But that is a whole different topic.

The power of Srila Prabhupada's message and the sankirtan is that it is NON SECTARIAN!

Problems arise when religious organizations try to make God fit into a particular, sectarian form of worship.

For example, the Catholic church, at is essence, is the Credo (belief in Triune God and Christ the Savior), the sacraments (Holy Communion as maha prasadam), and the saints, the highest being Mary as she IS the church! The power of the saints flows in thread of disciplic succession and comprises GSS (Guru Sadhu Sashtra).

Now everyone was supposed to be allowed to worship within their own cultural expression, hence the word "Catholic" ie. "universal".

But religionists mixed in the three modes of material nature have perturbed the pure message. There were tremendous battles between religious orders (e.g. Dominicans vs. Jesuits ) regarding "forms of worship". In one period the Dominicans drove Latinization (all worship in latin) against the Jesuit philosophy of Inculturation (adopt cultural expression and song most familiar with the people).

I see pure, non sectarian "vaisnavism" as a "catholicuniversal" teaching.

I need only the most basic elements. Devotion to Mary as she is bhakti love of God personified. Hence, in the making of bhoga I ask her to help her prepare a meal for the child Jesus!

I can recite hare nama in her rosary. Or I can contemplate her love for God when reciting maha mantra.

All of these practices are completely acceptable for a catholic and actually are permitted in the catholic church!

In the catholic church there is such a thing as "private revelation". It means that God can speak "privately" to any person and these things God reveals directly to His devotee. What is not permitted is me to broadcast this message as "universal" without first having the permission of the church.

So I have met many vaisnavas who consider me friend and a vaisnava. My shelter is the Blessed Mother, and in her house I can be whomever I wish (servant, friend, child, or silent witness to her activities).

Remember, we are dealing with people and the phenomenon of "pure association". I have always been blessed to associate with very holy priests.

Finally WE (the devotees) are the social body of God (aka "the church") on this earth.

It's not complicated though we keep trying to make it complicated.

The teachings of Jesus are to prepare meals and break bread together in rememberence of God (Jesus lila for Jesus bhaktas).

We can distribute prasadam. . We can chant the holy name (rosary in my case).

I take the shelter of in the tender love of the Blessed Virgin Mary. She's the most catholic (universal) and I don't need anything else.

Sending love,

Her Servant and yours.

Merry Krishna and a happy Hare Rama!

All glories to all the wonderful devotees on Audarya Fellowship over the Xmas period and the coming new year of 2008. All glories to Radha and Krshna, Lord Caitanya and Srila Prabhupada and everyone’s respective Spiritual Master, whose only desires are to see the whole world engaged in Sankirtan, or the congregational chanting of Hare Krishna in every city, town and village all over the world. :pray:

:namaskar:

OK it seems you have nice intentions but that is just a bit extreme. Every city, village and town all over the world engaged in sankirtan chanting Hare krishna? If God only wanted one form of worship and did not assume different forms for people to lead their own path, wouldn't it be that way? I think there is a reason why everyone in the world has their own tradition and path... There's a reason why the names, forms of worship, and spiritual paths are diverse as the stars in the sky. There's a reason why the universe through God's Shakti is manifested in a multitude of forms, because clearly God enjoys the Lila of being manifested in various forms, including forms of life, and forms of divinity...

The whole world converting to one spiritual path and chanting the same thing all over the world sounds scary. It sounds like the loss of diversity and the end of personalized paths to god. Sounds like some kind of communist take over!

I have not one thing against Krishna Consciousness. However what you just described sounds pretty scary if you ask me, if all people decided to become one massive spiritual path with no diversity.:eek:

JayaMahaDevi,

How about this. One path as loving devotion to to the Lord and all other living beings (Bhakti), and this love being expressed in an infinite number of ways according to the nature and desire of the individual.

This is the actual conception of Krsna consciousness. Everyone has their own personalized relationship with the Supreme Lord with the Love being the one true path.

Krsna consciousness is not limited to Hindu traditions and iconography as some think. I hear you saying the truth must be absolutely non-sectarian and I agree wholeheartedly.

Hare Krishna.

I was born in and I am raised in a KC family, but my mom's story has something to do with Lord Jesus.

She came to America at the age of 4 and became influenced by American culture. She went to catholic school in Jersey city because it was safer. She felt very much connected to Lord Jesus.

At the age of 10 she saw Prabhupada for a little bit in the famous NY Ratha Yatra 1966.

Her mom died when she was only 11. When she died many questions were coming into her mind, especially- where does the soul go? Exactly one year later after her mom's death she found a BTG in her mailbox. She stayed up the whole night reading it and the next day she told her dad that- I had already found the son of God and now I have found my God, too.

As we are Bengalis, many of her aunts and uncles forced her to eat fish. She cried from age 12-14 to Krishna to help her become a vegetarian. Finally she decided when she was 14 that she wouldn't touch meat, fish or eggs anymore. And from that time on she also started chanting 16 rounds and going to temple. She finally got initiated when she was 18, and is continuing to practice Krishna Consciousness today.

Haribol.

Jai Nitai!

indulekhadasi

So fortunate to be blessed and born as a devotee of Krishna. Your mothers story is also very inspiring and encouraging. These pastimes of how everyone became devotees are so inspiring. What about Jahnava Nitai Das, Kulapavana, suchandra, cbrahma, Murali_Mohan_das, mahak and anyone else also would like to tell thir story? It would make an interesting book

OK it seems you have nice intentions but that is just a bit extreme. Every city, village and town all over the world engaged in sankirtan chanting Hare krishna? If God only wanted one form of worship and did not assume different forms for people to lead their own path, wouldn't it be that way?

Thanks JayaMahaDevi, these are good points, if God created all this variety, why should there be only one path to realize God?

However, first there should be the understanding that God exists and how God awards the results of action as described for example in Sri Vedanta-sutra, Adhikarana 19, Sutra 42:

<center> purvam tu badarayano hetu-vyapadesat </center> But Vyasadeva holds the previous view, for the Lord is described as the cause.

Purport by Srila Baladeva Vidyabhushana

Here the word "tu" (but) is employed to dispel doubt. Vyasadeva holds the previous view, that the Supreme Personality of Godhead awards the fruits of action. Why so? The sutra explains: "for the Lord is described as the cause". In the Prasna Upanishad (3.7) it is said:

<center> punyena punyam lokam nayati papena papam </center> "The Supreme Lord takes the pious to the world of the pious and the sinful to the world of the sinful."

In this way the scriptures teach that the Supreme Lord awards the results of action. That is the meaning. Because they already have ceased to exist, the actions themselves cannot be the cause of the karmic results. Also, it is the Supreme Lord Himself who is the creator of karma, for the scriptures say:

<center> dravyam karma ca kalas ca </center> "The Supreme Personality of Godhead is creator of matter, karma, and time.

In this way it is proved that the Lord is the creator of karma. The idea that actions leave behind a potential result is a lame and foolish idea. Actions are inanimate and unconscious. ŠThey are like a block of wood or a stone, and therefore they have no power to award the results of actions. Also, the Sruti-sastra never describes them as awarding the results of actions.

Here someone may object: Is it not so that the demigods are worshiped in the performance of yajnas and it is the demigods themselves who give the results of these yajnas.

If this is said, then I reply: It is by the sanction of the Supreme Lord that the demigods are able to give these results. This is clearly described in the Antaryami Brahmana. Therefore the Supreme Personality of Godhead Himself awards the results of actions. The lotus-eyed Supreme Lord Himself affirms this in the following words (Bhagavad-gita 7.21-22):

<center> yo yo yam yam tanum bhaktam

sraddhayarcitum icchati

tasya tasyacalam sraddham

tam eva vidadhamy aham </center> "I am in everyone's heart as the Supersoul. As soon as one desires to worship some demigod, I make his faith steady so he can devote himself to that particular deity.*

<center> sa taya sraddhaya yuktas

tasyaradhanam ihate

labhate ca tatah kaman

mayaiva vihitan hi tan </center> "Endowed with such a faith, he endeavors to worship a particular demigod and obtain his desires. But in actuality these benefits are bestowed by Me alone."*

In this way worshiped by the performance of yajna, the Supreme Lord Himself gives the auspicious results to the worshiper. When He is thus pleased by devotion, the Supreme Lord will give everything, even Himself to His devotee. This will be described later on with quotes from the Sruti-sastra.

Thus, in these two padas has been seen: 1. the fault of the material world, which is an abode of many sufferings, beginning with repeated birth and death, 2. the faultless glories of the Lord, 3. the Lord's being the controller of all, 4. the Lord's form of pure spirit, and 5. the Lord's being not different from His attributes. By hearing of these things one develops a great thirst to attain the Lord's association and a great disgust for all that is far from the Lord. In this way one comes to attain the Lord. That is what was revealed in these two padas.

I totally agree, what you call Krishna Consciousness, I call Kali Conciousness. There are many names for it, many names for God. It's all the same source though. I just meant that every body in the whole world practicing one set path, with one set mantra, and one set form of God would be a very boring world, and scary as well, if everyone did not have their own path and own vision of God. When I said I had nothing against Krishna Consciousness I meant more in the direction of the movement itself that I had nothing against, not the actual conciousness as a whole and energy in and of itself.

JayaMahaDevi,

How about this. One path as loving devotion to to the Lord and all other living beings (Bhakti), and this love being expressed in an infinite number of ways according to the nature and desire of the individual.

This is the actual conception of Krsna consciousness. Everyone has their own personalized relationship with the Supreme Lord with the Love being the one true path.

Krsna consciousness is not limited to Hindu traditions and iconography as some think. I hear you saying the truth must be absolutely non-sectarian and I agree wholeheartedly.

JayaMahaDevi,

Many paths to the same Goal: that is the consciousness of Hinduism. The consciousness of Hinduism is therefore universal and acceptant of traditions that fall outside of the Indian subcontinent. The definition of Goal will depend according the path followed, but It will remain what it Is and will guide the sincere seeker.

This "sincere seeking" is Love and Bhathi. There are many ways of expressing this Bhakthi and understanding through intellect the object of that Love. If this fact is properly understood, then "krsna consciousness" is the consciousness of Hinduism.

Hinduism does not preach that this consciousness is limited to Hindu traditions. Our sages repeatedly point to great seers of other traditions as exemplifying the same. Whether the other religions have exemplified this consciousness to such an extent as Hinduism is a different historical question, and Hinduism need not apologize in this regard, for their sake.

(PS. I wonder if JayaMahaDevi is familiar with Sri Ramakrishna, a worshipper of the Mother and absolutely "krsna/kali conscious".)

JayaMahaDevi,

How about this. One path as loving devotion to to the Lord and all other living beings (Bhakti), and this love being expressed in an infinite number of ways according to the nature and desire of the individual..

Sounds like a discription of Vaikuntha

Also JayaMahaDevi, it is said Lord Caitanya very rarely comes in Kali-yuga. Maybe once in every thousand Kali-yuga’s! We are all so fortunate that He, The Supreme Personality of Godhead has appeared in this Kali-yuga 500 years. It is His (the combination of Radha and Krishna as a devotee) prediction that eventually the chanting of Hare Krishna will be heard in every City, Town and Village of the world. Its already happened! Fifty years ago, so many so called Sadu's in India would of laughed at you if you said soon in the 20th century the chanting of Hare Krishna will be heard in the streets of New York, Moscow, London, Paris, Tokyo, Beijing, Melbourne, Sydney, Murwillumbah, Hobart, Auckland - ALL THE MAJOR CITIES

I personally lead a kirtan once in an out back Town in Australia called Wagga wagga. It’s already happening. Somehow we all have to realize the rarity of Lord Caitanya’s appearance in this Kali-yuga

Sounds like a discription of Vaikuntha

Also JayaMahaDevi, it is said Lord Caitanya very rarely comes in Kali-yuga. Maybe once in every thousand Kali-yuga’s! We are all so fortunate that He, The Supreme Personality of Godhead has appeared in this Kali-yuga 500 years. It is His (the combination of Radha and Krishna as a devotee) prediction that eventually the chanting of Hare Krishna will be heard in every City, Town and Village of the world. Its already happened! Fifty years ago, so many so called Sadu's in India would of laughed at you if you said soon in the 20th century the chanting of Hare Krishna will be heard in the streets of New York, Moscow, London, Paris, Tokyo, Beijing, Melbourne, Sydney, Murwillumbah, Hobart, Auckland - ALL THE MAJOR CITIES

I personally lead a kirtan once in an out back Town in Australia called Wagga wagga. It’s already happening. Somehow we all have to realize the rarity of Lord Caitanya’s appearance in this Kali-yuga

That's all well and good. I just personally don't follow that path. I don't think there is anything WRONG with the path. It is just not mine, I do not identify with it. I have chanted Hare Krishna, it's nice to chant. I just find more splendor and satisfaction chanting and praying to Kali Maa. She is my Ishta-Devi like Krishna is your Ishta-Deva. I just think that a world where EVERYONE follows the same exact path would be very strange. I like diversity. I like the many different traditions, paths, mantras, religions, spiritualities, and forms of God. I just think binding oneself down to believing that only one form, one mantra, and one spiritual tradition can blind someone in the true nature of god which is infinite. And to me, God is my Mother. I appreciate that I can express my faith in this way, and others can express themselves in other ways. The only thing I was saying is that it would be a great loss to culture and diversity if everyone took up one way of worship, one form of god, and there was nothing else.

I really do not like that word Hinduism. Devotees of Krishna are NOT 'Hindu'

Historically the word Hindu comes from the invaders who invaded India, most recently the Muslims in the 7th Century. They could not pronounce the word Indus, referring to the river and it eventually became Hindus the Hindu. This word is not found in Sanskrit.

The religious name for the followers of Krishna consciousness is Sanatan Dharm “Sanatan” means original, universal, eternal and is used as “Sanatan Dharm”, the ancient name for those who follow the Vedas and worship Krishna and Vishnu

If God only wanted one form of worship and did not assume different forms for people to lead their own path, wouldn't it be that way? :eek:

This is faulty logic, I am afraid. One can also argue, If God only wanted peace in this world, wouldn't it be that way? And because there's so much violence, bigotry, and terrorism, God must've wanted it that way. So let's not strive for a peaceful world, it's very scary if there is only going to be peace without any diversity like violence, terrorism, murder etc.;) Point being, just because these things exist, it doesn't mean it's God's will, and just because there are a zillion religions, it doesn't mean God approves all of them, or that all religions are true.

That's all well and good. I just personally don't follow that path. I don't think there is anything WRONG with the path. It is just not mine, I do not identify with it. I have chanted Hare Krishna, it's nice to chant. I just find more splendor and satisfaction chanting and praying to Kali Maa. She is my Ishta-Devi like Krishna is your Ishta-Deva. I just think that a world where EVERYONE follows the same exact path would be very strange. I like diversity. I like the many different traditions, paths, mantras, religions, spiritualities, and forms of God. I just think binding oneself down to believing that only one form, one mantra, and one spiritual tradition can blind someone in the true nature of god which is infinite. And to me, God is my Mother. I appreciate that I can express my faith in this way, and others can express themselves in other ways. The only thing I was saying is that it would be a great loss to culture and diversity if everyone took up one way of worship, one form of god, and there was nothing else.

I said this many times but this is what the forum members were missing so badly. Seems you're finally send by God. Just have to bring the cows down from the pastures.:)

Historically the word Hindu comes from the invaders who invaded India, most recently the Muslims in the 7th Century. They could not pronounce the word Indus, referring to the river and it eventually became Hindus the Hindu. This word is not found in Sanskrit.

The religious name for the followers of Krishna consciousness is Sanatan Dharm “Sanatan” means original, universal, eternal and is used as “Sanatan Dharm”, the ancient name for those who follow the Vedas and worship Krishna and Vishnu

Maybe so, but for practical purposes, it's better to call oneself Hindu, and not quibble over its origins. Bottom line, we can use the word 'Hindu' in the same way we understand 'Sanatan Dharma', then where's the problem? So instead of doing away with it, it'd be wiser to keep the word 'Hindu', but give it the significance we assign to what we call Sanatan Dharma. That is the best approach.

I totally agree, what you call Krishna Consciousness, I call Kali Conciousness. There are many names for it, many names for God.

Well we may disagree somewhat here. It might be because I accept variety in the spiritual world as well as the material world and perhaps you do not.

In one sense Krsna consciousness encompasses everything, all genuine forms of God consciousness and at the same time Krsna consciousness refers to a particular form of the Lord that exhibts and enjoys rasa's with other living beings in ways unique to that Krsna form.

Ok. This is a different point and a different discussion. By Hinduism, I mean "sanatana dharma". But we use Hinduism word in general, when we want to identify ourselves among other religions. It is a label; if you prefer the more Vedic one, that is fine. But the spirit must not be lost for the word; similarly the "devotees of krishna" should allow for other words like kali, in order to fall within the sanatana dharma. I would prefer "Sanatana Dharma" before "devotees of krsna" especially when dealing with other religions: the first by definition is universal. The second is more descriptive of what exactly is "sanatana dharma" and expressed in accordance to a particular sampradaya.

"Hinduism" includes a great many traditions that are rooted in that "Krsna Consciousness", so those who seek to identify with "Krsna Consciousness" bear the responsibility of not limiting from withdrawal into sectarianism. As one's path, it is ok; not as goal: that is the spirit of the religion.

Maybe so, but for practical purposes, it's better to call oneself Hindu, and not quibble over its origins. Bottom line, we can use the word 'Hindu' in the same way we understand 'Sanatan Dharma', then where's the problem? So instead of doing away with it, it'd be wiser to keep the word 'Hindu', but give it the significance we assign to what we call Sanatan Dharma. That is the best approach.

I disagree completely, why use a Muslim name like Hinduism to discribe the the Vedas that teaches us about Krishna, Vishnu, Shiva etc

That’s like saying leave the name invaders names of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">Ceylon</st1:country-region> (Sari Lanka), Peking (<st1:City w:st="on">Beijing</st1:City>) or <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bombay</st1:place></st1:City> (Mumbai)

Is ISKCON a Hindu religious movement? This very question has caused a great deal of discussion both between members of the ISKCON and those commenting on the Society from outside.

Since ISKCON is a unique product of the vision of one individual, A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami, its founder, we must examine his position on this issue. Central to the difficulties that commentators have had in coming to any sort of decision are the seemingly ambiguous comments and decisions that the founder made with regards to Hinduism and his Society.

There are times he clearly stated that ISKCON was not Hindu and that his followers should endeavour to keep themselves apart from Hindu influences, and there were other times, for preaching purposes, when be clearly linked ISKCON to Hinduism.

Jan K. Br explores the references that Srila Prabhupada made to Hinduism, and more importantly he discusses these comments within the context in which they were made, thus enabling us to gain a clearer understanding of Srila Prabhupada's position on Hinduism.

One afternoon in October 1970, Srila Prabhupada visited the Golden Temple in Amritsar. After touring the temple and seeing the way in which food was distributed, he signed the temple's guestbook. Under religion he wrote, 'Krsnaite' and under comments he wrote, 'Very spiritual' He did not write 'Hindu'

Very interesting.

We have to understand that every institutionalized religion has failings. This has to do with the influence of maya and our human tendencies/attractions to the tamasic, rajastic, and sattvic.

In fact, your "priest" did not even fully understand Catholic teaching of "Lumen Gentium". That is the catholic church does not reject Truth in any other religion. But that is a whole different topic.

The power of Srila Prabhupada's message and the sankirtan is that it is NON SECTARIAN!

Problems arise when religious organizations try to make God fit into a particular, sectarian form of worship.

For example, the Catholic church, at is essence, is the Credo (belief in Triune God and Christ the Savior), the sacraments (Holy Communion as maha prasadam), and the saints, the highest being Mary as she IS the church! The power of the saints flows in thread of disciplic succession and comprises GSS (Guru Sadhu Sashtra).

Now everyone was supposed to be allowed to worship within their own cultural expression, hence the word "Catholic" ie. "universal".

But religionists mixed in the three modes of material nature have perturbed the pure message. There were tremendous battles between religious orders (e.g. Dominicans vs. Jesuits ) regarding "forms of worship". In one period the Dominicans drove Latinization (all worship in latin) against the Jesuit philosophy of Inculturation (adopt cultural expression and song most familiar with the people).

I see pure, non sectarian "vaisnavism" as a "catholicuniversal" teaching.

I need only the most basic elements. Devotion to Mary as she is bhakti love of God personified. Hence, in the making of bhoga I ask her to help her prepare a meal for the child Jesus!

I can recite hare nama in her rosary. Or I can contemplate her love for God when reciting maha mantra.

All of these practices are completely acceptable for a catholic and actually are permitted in the catholic church!

In the catholic church there is such a thing as "private revelation". It means that God can speak "privately" to any person and these things God reveals directly to His devotee. What is not permitted is me to broadcast this message as "universal" without first having the permission of the church.

So I have met many vaisnavas who consider me friend and a vaisnava. My shelter is the Blessed Mother, and in her house I can be whomever I wish (servant, friend, child, or silent witness to her activities).

Remember, we are dealing with people and the phenomenon of "pure association". I have always been blessed to associate with very holy priests.

Finally WE (the devotees) are the social body of God (aka "the church") on this earth.

It's not complicated though we keep trying to make it complicated.

The teachings of Jesus are to prepare meals and break bread together in rememberence of God (Jesus lila for Jesus bhaktas).

We can distribute prasadam. . We can chant the holy name (rosary in my case).

I take the shelter of in the tender love of the Blessed Virgin Mary. She's the most catholic (universal) and I don't need anything else.

Sending love,

Her Servant and yours.

I think your great devotion to the Church and to the Blessed Mother is beautiful. I still believe all the dogmas about the Holy Virgin, I just have lost faith in Catholicism (possibly b/c of the priest that I expressed myself to). I still like to go to mass on Christmas, though. Do you also think that Jesus and Mary have lived multiple lives on earth (e.g., as Sita-Ram, Radha-Krishna, Maya-Buddha, etc...)? I absolutely love Mary. I pray the rosary almost every night. You should see my house! The Holy Family of Jesus next to the Holy Family of Shiva, Kali stands next to Mary, both reigning in their glory. Guan Yin (a Bodhisattva and great follower of the Buddha) sits in meditation next to the Mother of Guadalupe. Our Lady of Grace and the Sacred Heart have a place right next to Sri Radha-Krishna. Ganesh and Lakshmi are framed right next to a picture of Mary and St. Anne. My Rudraksha mala lays in the same bead bag as my Jerusalem rosary.

Jai Radhe-Maria! Jai Sri Yeshu-Krishna! :)

P.S.: Have you ever heard of the visions in Medjugorje? Our Lady teaches what I think Catholicism should be when she says: "In God, there are no 'divisions' or 'religions'. It is you on the earth who have created divisions where they didn't exist before."