IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guruvani

Danavir Maharaja

Rate this topic

Srila Prabhupada played football (soccer). He was a goalie he said because he didn't like to run around so much.:)

It appears you have unfortunately been subjected to the unauthorized biography of Srila Prabhupada written by a fallen sannyasi Satsvarupa das Goswami.

This is the kind of foolishness that he has published about Srila Prabhupada who was NEVER a soccer player.

Srila Prabhupada was a transcendental sannyasi.

Some little boy from Calcutta named Abhaya Charan De might have been a soccer player, but I wouldn't know because I don't read Satsvarupa's unauthorized biography of Srila Prabhupada that should be banned in all Vaishnava communities as Vaishnava aparadha.

you are forgetting intimate discussions between srila prabhupada and his friends, who sometimes seemed to us as fellow disciples. When the awe and reverence leaves and friendships occur, then such things may be revealed.

Satswarupa may have been a little careless in his book, presenting him as ordinary, but in actuality, Srila Prabhupada is a friend to some. He actually body surfed with some of them. There is nothing bogus about his soccer playing, and the same offense if there is one is that even as a little boy, he is nitya siddha.

I heard of srila prabhupadas soccer long before saqtswarupa wrote his book. But I never thought that if I played soccer, then me and him were bros. This is the problem.

I hear about soccer, and I think, now there was a fortunate event. For all involved.

I was a great baseball player, but slow as they come. I had a great hook slide, but without sppeed to back it up, I always ended up about a foot from second. They used to say about me, I could stretch a triple into a double.

I heard of srila prabhupadas soccer long before saqtswarupa wrote his book. But I never thought that if I played soccer, then me and him were bros. This is the problem.

That is my point.

You say "Srila Prabhupada's soccer".

Srila Prabhupada was a Gaudiya sannayasi.

He never played soccer.

Some little boy in Calcutta named Abhaya Charan De might have played soccer, but the Gaudiya sannyasi we call "Srila Prabhupada" never played soccer.

I think it is just goofy to say that Srila Prabhupada played soccer.

He didn't.

That was some little boy from Calcutta you are talking about, not "Srila Prabhupada".

If we took that way of speaking to the extreme we would end up saying that Srila Prabhupada had sex with a woman - his wife Radharani.

Well, he didn't have sex with a woman either.

That was a householder named Abhay Charan De, not "Srila Prabhupada".

what got your goat, GV. Such nitpickin. Im glad MY spiritual master wasnt such a strange bird.

Also, if he wanted to remove all vestiges of that little boy, why is he AC Bhaktivedanta Swami.

nitpickers. Thank god (small g, just a position, not a person, bro) Narada Muni did not play this game with Vyasadeva. He revealed his past quite willingly to Vyasa to show possibility of advancement, from a lost little boy freshly orphaned to the great person who can also be rightfully called Sri Bhagavan.

Haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

Also, if he wanted to remove all vestiges of that little boy, why is he AC Bhaktivedanta Swami.

Don't get embarassed Mahak, but the reason is that when he took diksha from Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur he was given the name Abhay Charanaravinda DASA.

The A.C. didn't stand for Abhaya Charan De.

It was for his initiated name of Abhaya Charanaravinda DASA.

Yer all a bunch nitpickers, nitpickers, I say. The picture below is was actually taken in India when Maharaja saved an elephant who had swallowed a soccer ball. No one in the crowd knew what to do but Maharaja, being an ex-volleyball player took a running start and leaped high in the air, reached in the elephants' mouth and snagged that soccer ball. So this is a picture of Maharaja after he saved the elephant (and the ball). Every Thanksgiving they commemorate this event down in Alachua. Guruvani would know but he's a hermit and won't go down to the Farm for Thanksgiving. Thank God there's still heroes amongst the Iskcon gurus! Yer all a bunch nitpickers!

attachment.php?attachmentid=1478&stc=1&d=1195739349

Yer all a bunch nitpickers, nitpickers, I say. The picture below is was actually taken in India when Maharaja saved an elephant who had swallowed a soccer ball. No one in the crowd knew what to do but Maharaja, being an ex-volleyball player took a running start and leaped high in the air, reached in the elephants' mouth and snagged that soccer ball.

Yep, and here is the Elephant!

attachment.php?attachmentid=1479&stc=1&d=1195861068

post-1161-13827405425_thumb.jpg

Gurudev, in his youth, used to play soccer daily.

Thankfully, one day, instead of playing, he went to hear the Brahmacharis from Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math who were visiting his village. He picked up the mrdanga, joined in the kirtan, and the rest is history (or, rather, his transcendental pastimes).

Jai Gurudev!

Yep, and here is the Elephant!

attachment.php?attachmentid=1479&stc=1&d=1195861068

Good to know that you people finally found your niche to do something good.

Daijiworld Media Network – Mangalore (SM)

Mangalore, Nov 24: A free artificial limb distribution camp was organized by Mangalore Refineries and Petrochemicals Limited (MRPL) at its Employee’s Club here on Friday November 23.

The camp was organized with the technical assistance of Mumbai-based Admen Ortho Care (AOC).

Speaking after distributing artificial limb to beneficiaries, Rajamani, managing director, MRPL, said that MRPL will start to provide mid-day meals to 2, 250 school children through ISKCON.

He further said that the said scheme will be launched soon. The MRPL will also provide all the basic facilities for the mid-day meal scheme, he added.

The MRPL will provide traffic signals at major junctions in the city, informed Rajamani.

He further said that MRPL has commitments towards the society and added that a certain percentage of profit is utilized for social service.

He said that the MRPL has been organizing this camp for the past 9 years.

Nearly 83 people from various parts of the state and from Kasargod district of Kerala were given the artificial limb on this occasion.

S S Hegde, vice-president (HR), MRPL and Sher Singh, AOC executive were present.

Boring game, no scoring.

Who are unlikely soccer players and other sports as well.

Bob Marley was professional grade, as was his wailer mate, Peter Tosh.

Fidel Castro had one dream as a teen, to play baseball for the Yankees.

I played little league, and four of my teammates became devotees. Dayaniddhi das was the clean up hitter, I was a shortstop, out in center was Ravananthakura das. The fourth did not get initiated, got nammed instead. Jeff Burroughs and Bobby Gritch became major leaguers, but they didnt get interested in Krsna.

Soccer, volleyball, baseball (not cricket though, sorry too weird) and simple physical sports like them are good for kids and yes I even mean devotees kids. Not every child is going to be Prahlada. Good excercise and it's good practice on how to stay balanced between victory and defeat.

Do thou fight for the sake of fighting, without considering happiness or distress, loss or gain, victory or defeat—and by so doing you shall never incur sin. BG 2.38

Back in the day, that we must give up frivolous sports. So, we, as discerning students of the professor, must define "frivolous". The word means that there is no value, so we give up all sports that have no value.

Srila Prabhupada wants us to be fit, not overweight pale blobs sitting on soft cushions studying shastra. No, we gotta be able to run from the cops, the dogs, the jackals. We have to be able to catch a rattlesnake with our bare hands and bite its head off if necessary.

Srila Prabhupada always recommended water sports to his disciples. Maybe in chicago, no one heard of this, but in hawaii, we bodysurfed, at least once a week under sudama swamis presidency of that temple. Under goursundara, we kept fit, no slobs at new nabadvipa during that time.

Golf, croquet, poker, car racing, billiards, dominoes, these are frivouous, and have no value. But baseball sharpens ones eye-hand coordination, there are no slobs playing soccer, football is truely ksatriya stuff. (I played on thanksgiving, our annual game with our autistic clients. 57 is too lod, my fingers lost the stickum, and an overweight autistic lad put on me was about the best defender I ever faced, talk about attention to his assigned task).

So, when one gets a directive, ask the giver of that directive if ya dont understand. I did, I do. No blobs allowed in thisa movement, we must honor the temple of God, the form we have been given to act on His behalf. hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Good points, all.

Of course, if we were going out on nagar Harinama Sankirttan daily, we would find ourselves getting plenty of exercise, wouldn't we?

I'm no example to anybody, though. In 10 minutes, I'm taking the kids hiking at Wilder Ranch (also, feeding the chickens) instead of driving over the hill to San Jose and the festivities commemorating Sriman Mahaprabhu's arrival at the San Jose Seva Ashram.

Back in the day, that we must give up frivolous sports. So, we, as discerning students of the professor, must define "frivolous". The word means that there is no value, so we give up all sports that have no value.

Srila Prabhupada wants us to be fit, not overweight pale blobs sitting on soft cushions studying shastra. No, we gotta be able to run from the cops, the dogs, the jackals. We have to be able to catch a rattlesnake with our bare hands and bite its head off if necessary.

Srila Prabhupada always recommended water sports to his disciples. Maybe in chicago, no one heard of this, but in hawaii, we bodysurfed, at least once a week under sudama swamis presidency of that temple. Under goursundara, we kept fit, no slobs at new nabadvipa during that time.

Golf, croquet, poker, car racing, billiards, dominoes, these are frivouous, and have no value. But baseball sharpens ones eye-hand coordination, there are no slobs playing soccer, football is truely ksatriya stuff. (I played on thanksgiving, our annual game with our autistic clients. 57 is too lod, my fingers lost the stickum, and an overweight autistic lad put on me was about the best defender I ever faced, talk about attention to his assigned task).

So, when one gets a directive, ask the giver of that directive if ya dont understand. I did, I do. No blobs allowed in thisa movement, we must honor the temple of God, the form we have been given to act on His behalf. hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Good points, all.

Of course, if we were going out on nagar Harinama Sankirttan daily, we would find ourselves getting plenty of exercise, wouldn't we?

I'm no example to anybody, though. In 10 minutes, I'm taking the kids hiking at Wilder Ranch (also, feeding the chickens) instead of driving over the hill to San Jose and the festivities commemorating Sriman Mahaprabhu's arrival at the San Jose Seva Ashram.

Bhaktivedanta School Wins National Championship

By Anuttama Dasa on 24 Nov 2007

IKSCONNEWS

I am victory, I am adventure, and I am the strength of the strong.

--Lord Krishna, in Bhagavad-gita 10.36

Vrindavana, India—Demonstrating that young people can be simultaneously

successful in things related to both the body and the soul, the high school students of the Bhaktivedanta Gurukula and International School beat all odds last month and brought home the winner's trophy for First Place in the ICSE All India National Basketball Championship.

The Bhaktivedanta Gurukula and International School (BGIS) is best known as a small, highly accredited parochial boys school in the North India pilgrimage town of Vrindavana, in Uttar Pradesh. The school was founded in 1976, by Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada and is based on Prabhupada's teachings and the Vaishnava traditions of the 15th Century saint Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

About 1,500 schools from across India are members of the Indian Certificate of Secondary Schools (ICSE), an association of private schools. While the Bhaktivedanta School has only 200 students, it competed against much larger schools, some with student bodies ten times its size.

“As a religious school, the most important part of our athletic program is to teach the students about healthy competition, to help them develop the qualities of hard work and commitment and to dutifully try their hardest while leaving the results up to Krishna," said Braja Bihari dasa, the team's head coach.

The coach added with a smile, “I never dreamed we could win the All India contest. I don't know if I ever prayed so hard in my life."

The BGIS team's regular season record in Mathura District won them the right to compete in the State Championships in Kanpur, UP, from October 5-7. There they prevailed among the top eight teams of Uttar Pradesh, winning the chance to represent UP in the National Championship in Mysore, Karnataka.

Per ISCE rules, after a team wins the State Championship, they are entitled to bring their team up to the league limit of twelve players for the National Championship, by adding players from another school in their state. Accordingly, when the BGIS team left Vrindavana for the two-day train ride to the championship, they took with them two additional players from a neighboring school, Toshif Ahmmed and Mohammad Hussain.

Both young men are capable basketball players—and of the Muslim faith. Their participation not only made the BGIS team better but expanded it to an interfaith expression of India's youth.

In Mysore, the competition among the 8 national finalists was intense, and BGIS had to forge victories against the Northwestern States (Delhi, Rajastan, and Punjab), Karnataka, and Andra Pradesh before moving on to the final round. In the final game, they battled for the championship against Kerala, the one team who had beaten them—by just one point—in an earlier match of the round-robin competition.

"The greatest challenge for us," said 15-year-old team captain Gopinath Bloch, "was to not become frustrated by the obstacles we faced, and to not lose our determination. We knew that as long as we worked as a team, and never gave up, we could be successful."

The final forty-minute match—the standard for high school basketball in India—was held at the De Paul International School in Mysore. It was an exciting game, and a test of nerves and stamina for both young teams. The Bhaktivedanta students came away with a victory—by one point.

Upon their return to Uttar Pradesh, the champions were invited to meet the District Magistrate of Mathura, Mrs. Anita Meshram, who gave each player a plaque of honor for bringing the National Trophy to Mathura.

The team members are Gopinath Bloch (Captain), Madhav Javeri, Shivam Yadav, Prahlad Beillard, Jeremie Carter, Narottoma Rewah, Ramacandra Gaire, Madhav Pandey, Ankur Sachdev, Raj Kumar Rathore, Toshif Ahmmed, and Mohammad Hussain. Their coaches are Braja Bihari das and Mr. Yogesh Yadav, who is also the school’s sports teacher.

post-2554-138274054251_thumb.jpg

:cool: Salamat is a visayan dialect we speak in the island of Cebu, Philippines which in english means thank you. When Ferdinand Magellan discovered Cebu in 1521, the natives there already worshiped a God named Bathala. They were not pagans as what historians claimed. In fact, the natives were muslims ruled by a queen named by the Spanish conquistadores as Juana, whom Ferdinand Magellan( a portuguese navigator hired by the Queen of Spain to discover the Philippine islands) christened.

Cebu derived its name from the word Sebu or animal fat. You see, the natives where converted to christianity after they tasted pork stew cooked by Magellan`s men. Being famous for her pork stew, the island Cebu or Sebu became famous throughout the neighboring islands.

At present, Visayans worship a God Child named Sto. Nino. Yet a Cebuano historian said that the natives used to adore him as the God Bathala. The word Bathala represented two words, Bata(Child) & Allah(God).

I`m inviting you all in this forum to come over and see for yourselves the image of the Holy Child of Cebu. There you will see the smiling face of Govinda, the primeval Lord.

He`s only 9-12 inches tall. They say that the King of Spain attempted to take the Sto. Nino to Vatican in Rome and failed. So, he cut off his feet. Yet still the Child God managed to escape from the heavily chained box he was held captive three times. Remorseful, the King of Spain replaced his feet with golden boots. You can see these pair of shoes for yourselves.

The Child God Sto. Nino never leaves Cebu, the Lord`s abode in Southeast Asia.

This is fascinating, but what does it have to do with Danavir Maharaja?

Perhaps it would be a good thread of its own.

As an aside, how could the Queen of Spain hire Magellan to "discover" the Philippine Islands, if they hadn't yet been "discovered" by Europeans? Weren't they all looking for a passage to India?

:cool: Salamat is a visayan dialect we speak in the island of Cebu, Philippines which in english means thank you. When Ferdinand Magellan discovered Cebu in 1521, the natives there already worshiped a God named Bathala. They were not pagans as what historians claimed. In fact, the natives were muslims ruled by a queen named by the Spanish conquistadores as Juana, whom Ferdinand Magellan( a portuguese navigator hired by the Queen of Spain to discover the Philippine islands) christened.

Cebu derived its name from the word Sebu or animal fat. You see, the natives where converted to christianity after they tasted pork stew cooked by Magellan`s men. Being famous for her pork stew, the island Cebu or Sebu became famous throughout the neighboring islands.

At present, Visayans worship a God Child named Sto. Nino. Yet a Cebuano historian said that the natives used to adore him as the God Bathala. The word Bathala represented two words, Bata(Child) & Allah(God).

I`m inviting you all in this forum to come over and see for yourselves the image of the Holy Child of Cebu. There you will see the smiling face of Govinda, the primeval Lord.

He`s only 9-12 inches tall. They say that the King of Spain attempted to take the Sto. Nino to Vatican in Rome and failed. So, he cut off his feet. Yet still the Child God managed to escape from the heavily chained box he was held captive three times. Remorseful, the King of Spain replaced his feet with golden boots. You can see these pair of shoes for yourselves.

7ygz4bc.jpg

This Holy Child of Cebu looks indeed like Govinda, hopefully they don't ask material benedictions from Him but worship Him like described in the Vedas.

http://joyful-ep.jp/assistant-blog/Honeylyn/2007/02/sinulog-festival.html

:cool: Remember the Magi? He was the one who tracked the Star of Bethlehem and found it points to the island of Cebu. That was where Magi-land discovered the island-the home of the God Bathala( Child God). So, when they arrived, Magi-land brought an icon( The Child of Flanders) and gifted it to Queen Juana. The queen readily accepted the gift knowing that it was made in the same image of the God Bathala( Govinda). We observe the Feast of the Sto. Nino of Cebu every January 15.

:cool: Remember the Magi? He was the one who tracked the Star of Bethlehem and found it points to the island of Cebu. That was where Magi-land discovered the island-the home of the God Bathala( Child God). So, when they arrived, Magi-land brought an icon( The Child of Flanders) and gifted it to Queen Juana. The queen readily accepted the gift knowing that it was made in the same image of the God Bathala( Govinda). We observe the Feast of the Sto. Nino of Cebu every January 15.

In Hari Sauri's Diary, he writes: "Similarly, anyone who cheats his guru by pretending to be a follower in order to receive the benefits of spiritual life without making any sacrifice is simply cheating himself. The real guru can never be cheated. He is simply giving everything and has no self-interest; he (myself) is already perfect and complete in his relationship with the Lord."

That seems missing at the Feast of the Sto, real spiritual knowledge.

:cool: Are we following the blind? Many claim they are masters of the science Krsna. But are they? No need to follow one. Just read the works of the great Acharyas in the caliber of Swami Jesus(Prabhupad). It`s sufficient enough to elevate one to the stage of samadhi or bhakti-yoga. Remember, we are in the Kaliyuga age. There`s always quarrel in every aspect of our discussions. And hypocrisy, too.

Are we following the blind? Many claim they are masters of the science Krsna. But are they? No need to follow one. Just read the works of the great Acharyas in the caliber of Swami Jesus(Prabhupad). It`s sufficient enough to elevate one to the stage of samadhi or bhakti-yoga. Remember, we are in the Kaliyuga age. There`s always quarrel in every aspect of our discussions. And hypocrisy, too.

Sure you're not just projecting your own inner quarrel?

Surely, don't follow anybody claiming to be a master of the science of Krishna. Krishna Himself says such people are frauds. Rather, follow one who is sincerely trying to serve the servant of the servant of the servant of the servant, and who is presenting the conception of their master and not presenting the flatulence of their own mind.

All Srila Prabhupada ever took credit for was trying to present the conception of his own master without any adulteration.

"Work now, samadhi later."