IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Moon myths

Rate this topic

<table border="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">line_advanced_new.gif </td></tr> <!-- ################### ELEMENTARY LEVEL #################### --> <!-- ################# [ELEMENTARY LEVEL] ################## --> <!-- #################### MIDDLE LEVEL ##################### --> <!-- ################### [MIDDLE LEVEL] #################### --> <!-- ##################### HIGH LEVEL ###################### --> <!-- ADD STANDARDS KEYWORDS FOR THIS LEVEL HERE, SEPARATING WORDS WITH COMMAS. --> <!-- st="MEGOSE" lev="9-12" key="" --> <!-- st="NS" lev="9-12" key="" --> <tr><td valign="bottom"> Heng-o and the Twelve Chinese Moons

</td></tr></tbody></table> <table align="left" border="0" cellspacing="10" width="200"><tbody><tr><td> <!--ImagePage--> moon_china_sm2.gif

<!-- THIS AREA IS FOR IMAGE INFORMATION. REPLACE 'SIZE' WITH --> <!-- BIGGER IMAGE FILE SIZE, I.E. '94K GIF,' '68K JPEG,' ETC. --> <!--ImageDescript--> Detail of an eighteen-century embroidered emperor's robe. In Chinese myth, a white hare was believed to have lived in the moon.

<!--/ImageDescript--> Click on image for full size (523K JPEG)

<!-- ##IF IMAGE IS ORIGINAL DELETE THIS LINE: --> <!--ImageFrom--> Image courtesy of Victoria and Albert Museum, London. <!--/ImageFrom-->

</td></tr></tbody></table> <!-- YOUR TEXT GOES HERE: --> In ancient times, Chinese people believed that there were twelve Moons as there were twelve months in one year. Likewise, Chinese people believed there were ten Suns as there were ten days in the Chinese week. The mother of the twelve Moons was the same of that of the ten Suns. At the beginning of each month, the mother of the twelve Moons, Heng-O, washed her children in a lake at the extreme western side of the world. Then each Moon, one after the other would travel in a chariot for a month long journey to reach the east side of the world. There, the Suns would begin their journey.

It was believed that the Moons were made of water, and either a hare or a toad were living in their interior. The name "mother of moons" is strictly associated with that of Heng-o, considered in the modern folk-lore a Moon goddess. According to an ancient legend that had survived until our days, Heng-o was married with the Divine Archer Yi.

Yi had killed Heng-o's brother and spared the life of the Moon goddess. In gratitude, Heng-o consented to marry with the Archer. But later she fled to the Moon after having stolen from her husband the herb of immortality that grew on the soil of the Western Paradise. In the Moon, Heng-o became a toad.

Now Moon myths are spiritual topics?

Are we supposed to now accept that Bhagavat cosmology is just another myth like the myths that are in this topic?

I guess some people just can't be happy unless they are faultfinding the Bhagavatam and comparing it to mythology.

This topic is just a jab at the Bhagavatam.

It doesn't deserve a place in the spiritual topics section of the forum.

Maybe admin can make another section for mythology and this topic can be moved to there?

That's the point I am trying to make.

Bhagavat cosmology is not a myth.

It's a mystical perception of the universe as it exists in the transcendental form of Narayana.

It doesn't deal with distances of physical things but distances between the different planes of existence.

The Moon has been described as sarvamaya (all-pervading) because being born from the mind of Narayana it is all pervading throughout the universe.

The Moon is further than the Sun in terms of planes of conciousness.

The Moon is a plane of consciousness - not a rock circling the Earth.

The Rock we see in the sky is not the Moon.(it is Rahu)

The Moon is the light of the Mind of Lord Narayana that pervades the whole universe. You can't get there in any space craft because it is a plane not a planet.

Srila Prabhupada tried to explain the Bhagavatam literally because the people of the age are not able to understand esoteric and mystical aspects of the universe.

It's not allegorical.

It's mystical.

So, your eyeballs and conditioned mind will never understand if you don't have faith in the Bhagavatam.

Nobody can force you to participate in Bhagavat based cosmology topics.

If you don't like them then you don't have to open the topic and read it.

This topic you started here is just a frivolous expression of your agitated mind.

It doesn't belong in this section of the forum.

So, you are teaching by example that moon myths should not be topics in this section of the forum?

Or, is you just being a hypocrite?:wacko:

You're just being sarcastic.

Sarcarsm doesn't need to become a topic in spiritual discussions.

Control your anger.

It makes you look childish.

Your a silly guy Guruvani. But then we all are in our ways.

So, you are teaching by example that moon myths should not be topics in this section of the forum?

No, just making the point that myths are not spiritual unto themselves. You see cosmology itself is not spiritual unto itself even if it is based on exact calculations.

This is a very simple point that I am sure you could easily understand but you insist on trying hard not to understand. And that of course is your right.

Srila Prabhupada has some advice for you:

Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 2.1.26 purport

The materialist must know for certain that his visualization of the world in a spirit of lording over it is not God realization.

If anyone wants to realize the Supreme Truth by conceiving of the universal form of the Lord, he must cultivate the service attitude. Unless the service attitude is revived, the conception of virāṭ realization will have very little effect on the seer. The transcendental Lord, in any conception of His form, is never a part of the material creation. He keeps His identity as Supreme Spirit in all circumstances and is never affected by the three material qualities, for everything material is contaminated. The Lord always exists by His internal energy.

Maybe you should try to realize that the virat rupa described in the Bhagavatam is transcendental and not the material things you see with your tiny eyeballs.

Here is a statement from Srila Prabhupada I know you are gonna love.

Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 2.1.30

There is no room for common sense in the injunctions of the śāstras. We must accept the description of the śāstras and concentrate more on the form of the virāṭ-rūpa than on common sense. Common sense is always imperfect, whereas the description in the śāstras is always perfect and complete. If there is any incongruity, it is due to our imperfection and not the śāstras'. That is the method of approaching Vedic wisdom.

But, I don't think you will ever accept anything above your sense perception.

So, you cannot become a transcendental sage.

the moon is a myth.

Dharma demands truth. Lord Yamaraja disguised himself as a yaksa, and killed King Yudhisthiras four brothers, dead. And then Yudhisthira was demanded to tell the truth, and Dharma asked him, with his brothers lives at stake, what is the cosmos. King Yudhisthira, without hesitation, replied "It is black empty space and nothing more." Dharma accepted his answer as true, and restored the life of his brothers.

black empty space. The moon is of no consequence. We wont live there, we cant even cross the damn bridge because of great fear. That moon may glow or not glow, but it cannot do anything for us (unless we surf, eh?).

So, tho Ill comment on both sides of such issues, Im not lyinm or panderin, I see it as true both ways. There may be a moon of the world, a dead chunk blown out of the Pacific by Popocatypetyl and his good wife, but when I think Chandraloka, I dont see craters or green cheese, I see soma rasa.

whassa matter, dont believe in magic??? Member the boxer of the twilight zone, the little boy said "ya gots to believe". Magic is real, this world and their sciences suck, so Ill give it minor credence, but if you ask me what is true, Ill say the cosmos are black empty space and nothing more.

mahak

Here is a statement from Srila Prabhupada I know you are gonna love.

Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 2.1.30

But, I don't think you will ever accept anything above your sense perception.

So, you cannot become a transcendental sage.

So you think it makes a difference in realization of the virat-rupa if our insiginficant moon is a few million miles this way or that? :D:D:D:D

So you think it makes a difference in realization of the virat-rupa if our insiginficant moon is a few million miles this way or that? :D:D:D:D

It makes a difference if we fault find the Bhagavat in favor of the scientific community.

If we have more faith in little men with big telescopes than the Bhagavatam and Srila Prabhupada, then we don't have the kind of faith we need to please Krishna and attain liberation.

Maybe you could answer the question and explain how the virata-rupa form of the Lord which is basically imaginary to begin with is effected by the position of our little moon.

Perhaps you don't understand the question. If that is the case best not to offer any answer at all.

the moon is a myth.

Dharma demands truth. Lord Yamaraja disguised himself as a yaksa, and killed King Yudhisthiras four brothers, dead. And then Yudhisthira was demanded to tell the truth, and Dharma asked him, with his brothers lives at stake, what is the cosmos. King Yudhisthira, without hesitation, replied "It is black empty space and nothing more." Dharma accepted his answer as true, and restored the life of his brothers.

black empty space. The moon is of no consequence. We wont live there, we cant even cross the damn bridge because of great fear. That moon may glow or not glow, but it cannot do anything for us (unless we surf, eh?).

So, tho Ill comment on both sides of such issues, Im not lyinm or panderin, I see it as true both ways. There may be a moon of the world, a dead chunk blown out of the Pacific by Popocatypetyl and his good wife, but when I think Chandraloka, I dont see craters or green cheese, I see soma rasa.

whassa matter, dont believe in magic??? Member the boxer of the twilight zone, the little boy said "ya gots to believe". Magic is real, this world and their sciences suck, so Ill give it minor credence, but if you ask me what is true, Ill say the cosmos are black empty space and nothing more.

mahak

Yes it can be said the cosmos is formless from one perspective.

Maybe you could answer the question and explain how the virata-rupa form of the Lord which is basically imaginary to begin with is effected by the position of our little moon.

Perhaps you don't understand the question. If that is the case best not to offer any answer at all.

I don't think you even understand the question and cannot understand the answer either, so OK, I won't bother to answer or post anything more on this sarcastic and foolish topic.

bye...bye...:deal:

Well, look up, at night, what do you see. If all these suns are so nuclear charges and full of quazar rays and other such zappers, how come all we see is black, with little specks. "Black, Empty space, and nothing more" is a statement of convenience, because the little specks that are so lame and weak that they disappear if one so much as lights a candle are not considered. But ksatriyas often dont consider such useless light as that supplied by all these great LUMINARIES.

But when the moon if full, well, I call it magic, maybe because Im a hippie druid stuck in the sixties. Ill call the God Sri Chandra. Hes an ornament in the dreadlocks of Sri Nataraja, and the river, my Mother Ganges, flows from those dreadlocks to Mount Meru, where Indraloka has occasionally come to rest. I saw the picture, and I even heard the physicist velikovsky speak of such magic from scientific reasoning.

It is pure magic, folks, this multiversal, omni dimensional world. Our eyes are tuned to black, but even a bee sees better than humans. Different light.

Viasnavas are taught to reject the blindness of vision, rather see reality by the sense of hearing, the vehicle of self realization. But Didyamous Thomas was no fool, I like him best because if someone told me they died, and now they are alive, Id want proof as well, (especially if he was me braddah).

Hb, ys, ic, mahaksadasa

Well, look up, at night, what do you see. If all these suns are so nuclear charges and full of quazar rays and other such zappers, how come all we see is black, with little specks. "Black, Empty space, and nothing more" is a statement of convenience, because the little specks that are so lame and weak that they disappear if one so much as lights a candle are not considered. But ksatriyas often dont consider such useless light as that supplied by all these great LUMINARIES.

Well they are little specks to you mahak because they are a great distance away. They are not considered little specks by those who live near them and draw their life energy from them. Our sun is just a speck to them. Relativity remember.

But when the moon if full, well, I call it magic, maybe because Im a hippie druid stuck in the sixties. Ill call the God Sri Chandra. Hes an ornament in the dreadlocks of Sri Nataraja, and the river, my Mother Ganges, flows from those dreadlocks to Mount Meru, where Indraloka has occasionally come to rest. I saw the picture, and I even heard the physicist velikovsky speak of such magic from scientific reasoning.

All is the magical manifestation of Sri Krsna's magic. Every weed you walk on is a part of Krsna's wonderland. Not because of being a stoned out hippie from the sixties but because all is just a spark of His splendor. The moon looks especially so because it is the biggest light in the night sky. From a certain distance you would not even notice the moon but from earth it is especially glorious. Relativity again.

Viasnavas are taught to reject the blindness of vision, rather see reality by the sense of hearing, the vehicle of self realization.

Where are Vaisnavas taught to reject what they see? I am learning to understand the limitations of what I see until I learn to see Krsna. Sri Murti for example or the light of the moon as Krsna.

Yes hearing is most powerful but that works both ways. It can also be the most binding sense. How is believing everything you hear superior to believing everything you see?

The only thing worthy of complete trust is the direct revelation from Krsna. Via sight or sound it doesn't matter. Until that point it is all still just a guessing game.

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><!-- ################### ELEMENTARY LEVEL #################### --><!-- ################# [ELEMENTARY LEVEL] ################## --><!-- #################### MIDDLE LEVEL ##################### --><!-- ################### [MIDDLE LEVEL] #################### --><!-- ##################### HIGH LEVEL ###################### --><!-- ADD STANDARDS KEYWORDS FOR THIS LEVEL HERE, SEPARATING WORDS WITH COMMAS. --><!-- st="MEGOSE" lev="9-12" key="" --><!-- st="NS" lev="9-12" key="" --><TR><TD vAlign=bottom>Heng-o and the Twelve Chinese Moons

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=10 width=200 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!--ImagePage-->

<!-- THIS AREA IS FOR IMAGE INFORMATION. REPLACE 'SIZE' WITH --><!-- BIGGER IMAGE FILE SIZE, I.E. '94K GIF,' '68K JPEG,' ETC. --><!--ImageDescript-->Detail of an eighteen-century embroidered emperor's robe. In Chinese myth, a white hare was believed to have lived in the moon.

<!--/ImageDescript-->Click on image for full size (523K JPEG)

<!-- ##IF IMAGE IS ORIGINAL DELETE THIS LINE: --><!--ImageFrom-->Image courtesy of Victoria and Albert Museum, London. <!--/ImageFrom-->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- YOUR TEXT GOES HERE: -->In ancient times, Chinese people believed that there were twelve Moons as there were twelve months in one year. Likewise, Chinese people believed there were ten Suns as there were ten days in the Chinese week. The mother of the twelve Moons was the same of that of the ten Suns. At the beginning of each month, the mother of the twelve Moons, Heng-O, washed her children in a lake at the extreme western side of the world. Then each Moon, one after the other would travel in a chariot for a month long journey to reach the east side of the world. There, the Suns would begin their journey.

It was believed that the Moons were made of water, and either a hare or a toad were living in their interior. The name "mother of moons" is strictly associated with that of Heng-o, considered in the modern folk-lore a Moon goddess. According to an ancient legend that had survived until our days, Heng-o was married with the Divine Archer Yi.

Yi had killed Heng-o's brother and spared the life of the Moon goddess. In gratitude, Heng-o consented to marry with the Archer. But later she fled to the Moon after having stolen from her husband the herb of immortality that grew on the soil of the Western Paradise. In the Moon, Heng-o became a toad.

Finally proven, Moon above the Sun.:)

6wz8uv7.jpg

Sunset at the North Pole