IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Srila Gaura Kiśora dāsa Bābājī: People are too fallen

Rate this topic

Srila Gaura Kiśora dāsa Bābājī Mahārāja (1838 - 1915 CE) considered people of this age as too much fallen to adopt the path of spiritual life.

Prabhupada, Paris 23 August 73: "So it is very difficult with these rascals. Very, very difficult. Therefore my Guru Mahārāja’s Guru Mahārāja, Gaura Kiśora dāsa Bābājī Mahārāja, they were not preaching. They were disgusted that “I have no power to reform these rascals. Better don’t bother. Let them go to hell. At least… Let them.” But still, my Guru Mahārāja preached. He was so kind. And he asked us also to do the same thing. But it is very, very difficult job. People are so rascal, so condemned, so sinful. It is very, very difficult to raise them. Very difficult. Mandāḥ sumanda-matayo manda-bhāgyā hy upadrutāḥ [sB 1.1.10]. So only those who are very fortunate, they will understand that “I am eternal,” avināśi, “I am imperishable. I am put into this condition of perishable condition due to this my material body.” So how to get out of it? They have no ambition. Just like dogs and cats. Simply sense gratification. Krishna is so kind, how, very clearly explains. You try to understand what is the soul.

So who does not understand there is consciousness all over the body? Tad viddhi. Yena sarvam idaṁ tatam. They’ll jump over, “Yes, I am the Supreme God.” God’s consciousness is also spread all over. That’s all right. But is your consciousness spread all over the universe? Both of us, we are conscious. But He is supreme consciousness. Therefore His consciousness is spread all over the universe, all over the creation."

Same lecture:

"So everything is going on. Either Christian, Mohammedan or Hindu, so-called. All of them have become rascal. That’s all. This is Kali-yuga. Mandāḥ sumanda-matayaḥ. They have created their own imaginary religious principle, and therefore they are condemned.

They do not know. Adānta-gobhir viśatāṁ tamisraṁ punaḥ punaś carvita-carvaṇānām [sB 7.5.30]. The life, the aim of life is to realize God. This is human life. But they are so much embarrassed with this uncontrollable senses that they are going to the darkest region of material existence. Adānta-gobhiḥ. Adānta means uncontrolled.

They cannot control the senses. They have become so unfortunate that simple thing, little effort, little austerity, to control the senses.

The yoga process means to control the senses. Yoga does not mean that you show some magic. The magic, magician also can show magic. We have seen one magician, he created immediately so much coins—tung tung tung tung. Next moment it is all finished. So the life, they’re missing the aim of life. Mandāḥ sumanda-matayaḥ.

Why? Manda-bhāgyāḥ. They are unfortunate. So you take it for granted. We are trying, even our Krishna consciousness mission, we are trying to awaken. Still they are so unfortunate they cannot give up sense gratification. So unfortunate. Condemned, unfortunate."

Srila Gaura Kiśora dāsa Bābājī Mahārāja (1838 - 1915 CE) considered people of this age as too much fallen to adopt the path of spiritual life.

Prabhupada, Paris 23 August 73: "So it is very difficult with these rascals. Very, very difficult. Therefore my Guru Mahārāja’s Guru Mahārāja, Gaura Kiśora dāsa Bābājī Mahārāja, they were not preaching. They were disgusted that “I have no power to reform these rascals. Better don’t bother. Let them go to hell. At least… Let them.”

Srila Gaurakishora had a lot of quotes that really strike a chord in me. Thank you for bringing up this subject.

Yes, people nowadays are very fallen. We are very fallen too by the standards of such stalwart devotees. Yet what can we do? To give up is not an option.

To give up is not an option.

Actually, giving up (in the sense of surrender to the Lord) is the *ONLY* option.

We need to give up our illusion of self-interest. We need to give up our struggle for name, fame, wealth, and comfort.

Give up!!!!

:P

Actually, giving up (in the sense of surrender to the Lord) is the *ONLY* option.

We need to give up our illusion of self-interest. We need to give up our struggle for name, fame, wealth, and comfort.

Give up!!!!

To be completely honest, most of the devotees I have met in my life were hardly the selfless types. In the great variety of moha there is also the illusion of selflessness. I have often met big sannyasis who could learn a lot about selflessness from a typical mother.

Not a jab in your direction, just a general comment. True selflessnes comes at a very mature stage of devotional life. When starting to undress one does not begin with underwear. ;)

It comes back to sukriti doesn't it. Real spiritual life lies beyond my experience. From our perspective as citizens of kali-yuga we have to take the long view while praying for a miracle.

When starting to undress one does not begin with underwear. wink.gif

What's underwear?

To be completely honest, most of the devotees I have met in my life were hardly the selfless types. In the great variety of moha there is also the illusion of selflessness. I have often met big sannyasis who could learn a lot about selflessness from a typical mother.

Not a jab in your direction, just a general comment. True selflessnes comes at a very mature stage of devotional life. When starting to undress one does not begin with underwear. ;)

Well, if you jab in my direction, you'll certainly hit something!! My selfishness is bigger than the side of a barn!

Having children has necessitated a greater degree of selflessness in my life, but even they can struggle and get frustrated while trying to get through to me when I'm lost in self-absorbed thought. Of course, as you allude, making sacrifices for one's children can be an illusory selflessness (since much parental devotion could be accused of being a form of narcisism).

As you seem to suggest, selfishness can certainly be *useful* in the earlier stages of spiritual development--is it selfish to stay home and read Bhagavad Gita when our mates invite us down to the pub for a few pints?

Going back to your earlier point--yes, we must never give up our search for Sri Krishna (even if we think we might have found Him).

Gaura Hari!!

The power and glory of Sri Nama shines forth even more brilliantly in the darkness of Kali Yuga. Thus was the mission of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu who liberated even the tigers and deer that heard him.

The power and glory of Sri Nama shines forth even more brilliantly in the darkness of Kali Yuga. Thus was the mission of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu who liberated even the tigers and deer that heard him.

Sighted faith.

Srila Gaurakishora had a lot of quotes that really strike a chord in me.

Yes, one could say like that when reading:

“PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR STOOL”

FROM THE LIFE OF SRILA GOUR KISHOR DAS BABAJI MAHARAJ

Girish Babu, the owner of a dharmashalla in

Nabadwip, once came with his wife to see Srila

Gour Kishor Das Babaji Maharaj. Girish Babu’s

wife asked Babaji Maharaja, “Please instruct us

how we can construct a small cottage for your

bhajan. We feel pained to see you suffering

throughout the rainy season and the hot season

with very little shelter.”

Srila Gour Kishor replied, “I have no anxiety

residing in my small hut. I have only one

trouble. Many persons come to me and very

deceptively ask again and again, ‘Krpa koro!

Krpa koro! Please give us your mercy!’ They

are not interested in their own genuine benefit,

and as a result of their coming my bhajan

is disturbed. If both of you could just give me

some of your stool at this place where I perform

my bhajan, that would be favorable.

Then I would be able to chant ‘hare krishna’ day

and night. By depositing your stool, people

won’t like to come here. If you can’t do this

then many people will come and waste my

time and thus, this human form of life.”

Girish Babu’s wife replied, “Babaji Maharaja,

we should certainly take your instruction to

heart, but if we pass stool and offer it to you

where you perform your bhajan, won’t that result

in unlimited sinful reactions for us?”

Srila Gour Kishor Das Babaji said, “I am not

a vaishnava. Those owners of large temples who

wear long matted hair are actually vaishnava. I

have not gotten any result in the performance

of my bhajan. Therefore, the place where I reside

is fit to receive your stool. Both of you please

offer me your stool, otherwise I have nothing to

say to either of you.”

Girish Babu and his wife agreed and said,

“Even though you won’t stay there, still, if we

build a second hut then your servants can stay

in one of them.” Following this, Girish Babu

and his wife constructed another small room

with the help of a carpenter. Gour Kishor Das

Babaji never entered the room Girish Babu had

built, because for him the smell of false prestige

and the desire for women and wealth was

more obnoxious than the smell of ordinary

stool. Srila Gour Kishor Das Babaji resided for

six months in the area where persons that lived

at the dharmashalla passed stool.

— Translated by Vyenkata Das Brahmachari from Amara Prabhurakatha,

a collection of articles written by Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Prabhupada.

Srila Prabhupada was no less humble than Gaura Kishora das Babaji.

Srila Prabhupada also resided in the stool fields of western civlization.

Sometimes the greatest humility is to set on a throne and pontificate about Krishna to thousands of people.

I don't consider that Srila Prabhupada's wearing rings, watches and silk dhotis and presenting himself as an honorable jet-age spiritual master spreading Krishna consciousness all over the world to be the least bit less humble than the staying in stool fields by Srila Gaura Krishora das Babaji.

Any of us could sleep in stool fields, but only Srila Prabhupada could spread Krishna consciousness all over the world in little more than a decade.

Srila Prabhupada was the MOST humble of all to make the personal sacrifice he made to bring Krishna consciousness to the degraded souls of the whole world.

Srila Prabhupada was no less humble than Gaura Kishora das Babaji.

Thats surely not up for discussion, no one will doubt that - because Prabhupada was ordered something different by his spiritual master Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Maharaja, he fully surrendered to fullfill that order. But somehow his American disciples got it all messed up, instead of doing what Prabhupada told them, they started to pollute Prabhupada's temples to keep away people - something what Srila Gaura Kishora Maharaja was asking for but not Srila Prabhupada. "Any of us could sleep in stool fields", this only someone can say who lives at the best place on this planet, High Springs, Florida :rolleyes:

Arjuna Killed because he was asked to by Krsna. Lord Jesus Christ died a criminals death because His Father asked him to. Haridas Thakur underwent torture because Krsna Asked him to.

We do what we are asked, this is the meaning of initiation, we agree to His proposals. Srila Prabhupada is gosthianandi, meaning he preaches, and he also asks his disciples to preach. Therefore we are not bhajananandis, meaning we retire to a solitary place and just do bhajana. If Srila Prabhupada has asked some of his disciples to do this, then they should do this, but for the most part, we are to spread this movement, either in a big way or even a very small way, this is of no consequence.

There is no spiritual superiority or deficiency in either the gosthyanandi or the bhajananandi, both are highly exalted vaisnavas. Therefore, we do not criticize either, the babajis are our spiritual masters, as are the preaching vaisnava acaryas. But our devotional service, our link to parampara and Krsna, is dependent on what Srila Prabhupada has asked us to do and how we execute his order.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Arjuna Killed because he was asked to by Krsna. Lord Jesus Christ died a criminals death because His Father asked him to. Haridas Thakur underwent torture because Krsna Asked him to.

We do what we are asked, this is the meaning of initiation, we agree to His proposals. Srila Prabhupada is gosthianandi, meaning he preaches, and he also asks his disciples to preach. Therefore we are not bhajananandis, meaning we retire to a solitary place and just do bhajana. If Srila Prabhupada has asked some of his disciples to do this, then they should do this, but for the most part, we are to spread this movement, either in a big way or even a very small way, this is of no consequence.

There is no spiritual superiority or deficiency in either the gosthyanandi or the bhajananandi, both are highly exalted vaisnavas. Therefore, we do not criticize either, the babajis are our spiritual masters, as are the preaching vaisnava acaryas. But our devotional service, our link to parampara and Krsna, is dependent on what Srila Prabhupada has asked us to do and how we execute his order.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

:pray: Follow Guru's order, in our case, to preach until our last breath for the pleasure of Sri Guru and Gouranga.:pray: