IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

What's accusative, dative....

Rate this topic

the question seems to be an academic question, as I have never seen the answer to this question in any of the Vaishnava shastras.

maybe there is an academic in the house who can answer that?

Where is Jagat when you need him? :wacko::D:popcorn: :outta:

They are all concerning grammar. Instrumental and genitive cases don't have much to do with English but if I remember correctly nominative, vocative cases are used pretty much in all languages.

Sorry but school was way too many years ago for me to remember any of this so your best course of action is to go to your nearest language professor and get help there.

Quick question - what does this have to do with spiritual discussions?

Hare Krishna, Glad your Back. Dandavats.

Hare is the vocative for Hara. Hara is the form of addressing the energy of the Lord.

-

To my humble understanding, means that it goes together, Hare Krishna.

I was thinking of now replying because the original poster has not clarified why he put this question in Spiritual discussion forum. But Pankaj has given an example of vocative case, so I thought of replying.

When we are talking to somebody directly, then whatever word or set of words we use to address that person is called as vocative. We may refer to that person using his name or title or anything else. All these are vocative. Vocative is separated from the rest of the sentence using comma or commas.

Example: - In Gita, Lord Krsna and Arjuna use vocatives for each other.

Guest guest

Now the English are getting English grammar lessons from the Indians.

What is this world coming to?

I can answer what the original poster has asked. But, before I do that, like Rukmini Devi Dasi, I would like to know why he asked that in 'Spiritual Discussions' forum.

I find that the original poster has not come back.

Guest guest

Extremely sorry for the belated response. As no one replied earlier, I didn't even check back. My apologies.

These questions are relevant because without a sound understanding of basics, swadhyaya would be futile. Anyway, thanks for all those who responded.

Genitive cases-rAmasya? sivasya? Would these qualify?

dative: ramAya, sivAya?

accusative: rAmam, sivam?

Rest later...thanks again.

Guest guest

What's wrong in that?

America invented the car but the Japanese are teaching the rest of the world a thing or two about making great cars :)

Now the English are getting English grammar lessons from the Indians.

What is this world coming to?

This thread should be in Sanskrit forum. Anyway ...

Extremely sorry for the belated response. As no one replied earlier, I didn't even check back. My apologies.

These questions are relevant because without a sound understanding of basics, swadhyaya would be futile. Anyway, thanks for all those who responded.

We thought the questions were related to English grammar. :)

Genitive cases-rAmasya? sivasya? Would these qualify?

Genitive case indicates possession. So, you are right; rAmasay and sivasya are examples of genitive case.

dative: ramAya, sivAya?

Dative is used in the sense of 'for the sake of'. So, you are again right. Just make one small correction. It should be rAmAya and not ramAya i.e. longer a sound after r if you are talking about Lord Rama (pronounced rAma). But if you are talking about ramA (i.e. Laxmi), then ramAya is fine. (May be it was just a type.)

accusative: rAmam, sivam?

Again, correct.