IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
shuvo

Sri Krishna is our only God.

Rate this topic

Sri Krishna is our only God...

As he said in Bhagabad Gita that he is the only God and he he created everything.

He like the person who take the name of God Krishna.

He also said that , we should not think of our benefits when doing our work.

We should always chant.....

"Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare"

Thank-you

Shuvo roy..........

:)

Guest guest

Yes, in the Gita, Krishna is supreme. For Vaishnavas he is the supreme, for Smarthas he is one manifestation of the supreme. But the thing is Hinduism consists of many scriptures and Saivites and Shaktas do not accept the Bhagavad Gita. Let's not forget that there were Hindu scriptures before the Bhagavad Gita that were given the statues of Sruti.

The Upanishads are accepted by all orthodox schools and by Vaishnavas, Smartas, Saivites and Shaktas. As they are also Sruti, they are the scriptures that best represent Hinduism.

Shri Krishna is one manifestation of the Supreme. In our holy land of Bharat varsh, there have been several divine incarnations, and several thousands of divine holy rishis, monks, and saints. I would think that God does not limit Himself and appear on earth only once; rather, he continually manifests himself to propogate Bhagvad Dharma and he also continues his work through holy saints and rishis. Prabhupada or Pramukh Swamiji are fine examples of such.

Guest guest

Yes, in the Gita, Krishna is supreme. For Vaishnavas he is the supreme, for Smarthas he is one manifestation of the supreme. But the thing is Hinduism consists of many scriptures and Saivites and Shaktas do not accept the Bhagavad Gita. Let's not forget that there were Hindu scriptures before the Bhagavad Gita that were given the statues of Sruti.

The Upanishads are accepted by all orthodox schools and by Vaishnavas, Smartas, Saivites and Shaktas. As they are also Sruti, they are the scriptures that best represent Hinduism.

Don't forget the Bhagavatam!

Guest guest

-------

.......Saivites and Shaktas do not accept the Bhagavad Gita..............

-------

Is this really true of most Shaktas and Shaivites? do they totally dismiss the bhagavad gita? if so, what is their reasoning??

Guest guest

-------

.......Saivites and Shaktas do not accept the Bhagavad Gita..............

-------

Is this really true of most Shaktas and Shaivites? do they totally dismiss the bhagavad gita? if so, what is their reasoning??

I would say that this was a surprise to me when I first heard it. I had come across some movements that I thought were Saivites or Shaktas but who recognised the Gita, then I found out they wern't Saivite or Shakta's at all, but were Smartas. Of all the Saivite and Shakta sects I came across, none seems to accept the Gita as their scripture. They don't dislike the Gita, they just don't recognise it as part of their scriptures. I personally believe that this is because Krishna is declared as supreme in the Gita. If Shiva was substituted for Krishna I'm sure they would change their minds.

There are six Saivite sects that I know of with Saiva Siddhanta being the oldest and largest. All the Saivite sects hold the six Saivite puranas and the Saiva Agamas to be their scriptures. Their philosophy is either Advaita, Visistadvaita or Bhedabheda. Although most respect the Vedas, it doesn't seem to be that important to them than their own scritures. Maybe some Saivites on this site can throw some light on this. The Shaktas revere the Shakta Upanishads, Shakta Agamas and the Devi Mahatmyam.

I can say I've only met one Saivite who told me he and other Saivites do not accept the Bhagavad Gita at all, as it is not part of their canon of scriptures.

So the Gita seems to be followed mainly by Vaishnavas, Smartas, Yogis and non-sectarian Hindus.

Although different peoples accept different sripts, Bhagabad Gita is our main book which all hindus should follow.

we should first follow the commands given in Bhagabad Gita and then we should go to other scriptures.

HARE KRISHNA...

Guest guest

So long as Vaishnavites continue to own BG, they cannot dance in the streets like 'doosri radhas'. To a vaishnavite who devalues BG, there will always be a temptation to become a 'doosri radha'.

The advaiths have given BG to the vaishnavites to own it. BG surely helps Vaishnavites from going into extremes.

In general sense, BG is truely relevant for all, not just vaishnavites.

The Bhagavad Gita is very simple and clear...How many Hindus really accept it ?

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.(Gita 18.66)

How many people actually surrender to Krishna only ?? Its very short and simple and yet many HIndus gives excuses for not accepting Krishna. This is the symptons of Kali-Yuga.

After many births and deaths, he who is actually in knowledge surrenders unto Me, knowing Me to be the cause of all causes and all that is. Such a great soul is very rare.(Gita 7.19)

O Arjuna, as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, I know everything that has happened in the past, all that is happening in the present, and all things that are yet to come. I also know all living entities; but Me no one knows.(Gita 7.26)

Out of many thousands among men, one may endeavor for perfection, and of those who have achieved perfection, hardly one knows Me in truth.(Gita 7.3)

Conclusion: Krishna is saying only very few people will accept him in Kali-Yuga. Its very clear and Krishna is not bluffing. He is saying what he forsee. Thats the truth. Even in this HInduism forum, how many actually accept Krishna ?? Few.

Guest guest

Sri Krishna is our only God...

As he said in Bhagabad Gita that he is the only God and he he created everything.

He like the person who take the name of God Krishna.

He also said that , we should not think of our benefits when doing our work.

We should always chant.....

"Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare"

Thank-you

Shuvo roy..........

He also say's that he accepts all worship no matter what form and that no matter who you worship your prayrs go to him. He also specificaly identifies himself with other names of God like Shankara (Shiva).

Guest guest

Please its not "bhagabad gita" its "bhagavat Gita".

The Gita is a poem, in fact, an excerpt from a poem. It is not sruti.

The Gita does sum up very succinctly many of the general tenets of Sanatana Dharma and, thus, has become accepted into the body of smriti.

Hinduism is a chaotic crazy-quilt of tradition and philosophy. It has no formal canon or catechism. Perhaps the sole, essential feature distinguishing it from western religions is the concept of Brahman -- an undifferentiated, featureless Universal Consciousness/Reality underlying all of our subjective perceptions.

Whilst a Jnani intellectual may be able to relate to The Universe as mathematical equation; as Superstring and Relativity theory (Advaita Vedanta), most people's spiritual progress is best served by concentrating on an Aspect of the Godhead.

Sri Krsna is a perfectly serviceable Aspect upon which to concentrate one's devotion, if a bhakti, but Lord Siva, Ganesa or Kali are equally conducive to spiritual progression if one can more comfortably relate to their qualities.

We must remember that the worship of Personalities and Avataras is a crutch, a therapeutic modality useful in our journey toward Unity with Brahman.

Insistence on one Aspect as objectively real to the point of contention with dharmis of other traditions is counter to the essence of Sanatana Dharma.

Guest guest

jndas, I'm referring to shaivite and shakta sects, they generally ignore it. An individual who happens to be shaivite may study the gita and as Krishna says he is Shiva, would have no problem with it, but I don't know of any Shaivite or Shakta sects that actually studies it and follows it. I don't know of any Shaivite or Shakta guru who has given an interpretation of Bhagavad Gita.

The Gita is a poem, in fact, an excerpt from a poem. It is not sruti.

The majority of schools accept it as equal to shruti and refer to it as Gitopanishad.

jndas, I'm referring to shaivite and shakta sects, they generally ignore it.

From what I have seen only a very tiny minority group of tantrics and those shaivites who worship Shiva as the Supreme Personality of Godhead (hard to find such a person) avoid the Gita. Those who worship Shiva, 99% of the time consider him "one of the many Gods" or "one face of the one impersonal divine", and as such have no problem with the Gita provided they interpret it in their own way.

The number of people who actually consider Shiva to be the one supreme personal God (something like Vaishnavas, but with shiva) is really so rare that it almost doesnt need to be mentioned.

Whilst a Jnani intellectual may be able to relate to The Universe as mathematical equation; as Superstring and Relativity theory (Advaita Vedanta), most people's spiritual progress is best served by concentrating on an Aspect of the Godhead.

Sri Krsna is a perfectly serviceable Aspect upon which to concentrate one's devotion, if a bhakti, but Lord Siva, Ganesa or Kali are equally conducive to spiritual progression if one can more comfortably relate to their qualities.

We must remember that the worship of Personalities and Avataras is a crutch, a therapeutic modality useful in our journey toward Unity with Brahman.

Insistence on one Aspect as objectively real to the point of contention with dharmis of other traditions is counter to the essence of Sanatana Dharma.

Seyorni, this is an excellent analysis of the idea of the Hindu practice of having personal ishtadevas. Because God is infinite and possesses infinite qualities in his sagun swaroop and no qualities in his nirgun swaroop, it is impossible for a logical human mind to be able to comprehend the greatness of Supreme Godhead. This is why the different gods of Hinduism give rise to the practice of revering individual aspects of God rather than God as an entire entity, but the idea of the Universal Self, or Brahman, still remains as the primary goal of yoga and meditation. This is a good point you bring up.

This isn't true. For thousands of years great saints such as Ramanuja, Madhva, Shankara, etc. have held fierce debates on such topics to establish the supremacy of their school of philosophy and their deity. They are the foundation of sanatana dharma, not this neo-vedanta hodgepodge that is popular today. To say everything is fine in Hinduism EXCEPT those people who are the very foundation of Hinduism is ridiculous. Hinduism is broad and excompasing. That includes the ability to encompass those views that are dualistic and contrary.

In otherwords, it is hypocritical to say all views are fine except for those that disagree with us. And that is exactly what neo-vedanta tends to do. They make a false show of universalism, but then always come forward to attack views that are strictly dualistic, or views that establish the supremacy of one deity, such as Ramanuja, Madhva, etc.

Guest guest

From what I have seen only a very tiny minority group of tantrics and those shaivites who worship Shiva as the Supreme Personality of Godhead (hard to find such a person) avoid the Gita.

The number of people who actually consider Shiva to be the one supreme personal God (something like Vaishnavas, but with shiva) is really so rare that it almost doesnt need to be mentioned.

It's not so rare. For example the biggest Saivite movement in the west is the Himalayan Academy / Saiva Siddhanta church. They teach Saiva Siddhanta which is the oldest and most popular Saivite sect in the world today, which states Shiva is the supreme God (Just like Vaishnavas say for Vishnu). Their founder (noted on this site) spoke ill of the Bhagavad Gita, but they are not against other Hindus following the Gita. For obvious reasons, Saiva Siddhanta does not recognise the Bhagavad Gita.

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.(Gita 18.66)

How many people actually surrender to Krishna only ?? Its very short and simple and yet many HIndus gives excuses for not accepting Krishna. This is the symptons of Kali-Yuga.

After many births and deaths, he who is actually in knowledge surrenders unto Me, knowing Me to be the cause of all causes and all that is. Such a great soul is very rare.(Gita 7.19)

O Arjuna, as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, I know everything that has happened in the past, all that is happening in the present, and all things that are yet to come. I also know all living entities; but Me no one knows.(Gita 7.26)

Out of many thousands among men, one may endeavor for perfection, and of those who have achieved perfection, hardly one knows Me in truth.(Gita 7.3)

Jai ganesh

It is not as simple as you make out to be

First Krishna is addressing to Arjun, The Gita was spoken because Arjun is lamenting and is fearful of the sin he is about to commit fighting the war. So it is natural he is saying for him to abandon his Dharma and surrender on to him.

It is most misleading to say that Krishna is asking everyone to abandon Dharma otherwise what use is it for him to mention various ways to reach him.

Krishna was right in front of Arjun and yet he is asking

How may I know You, O Lord, by constant contemplation? In what form (of manifestation) are You to be thought of by me, O Lord? (10.17)You have to read the rest to accept what he is saying or reject but I have no problem either way.

He also says

The Supreme Lord is situated in everyone's heart, O Arjuna, and is directing the wanderings of all living entities, who are seated as on a machine, made of the material energy.

And in the next verse 62 he says surrender on to him, so I ask why does he not say surrender on to me?

Tell me why after the war would Krishna ask the pandava to worship Lord Shiva to atone for the sin of killing in the war?

He clearly say here

TEXT 24

tasmac chastram pramanam te

karyakarya-vyavasthitau

jnatva sastra-vidhanoktam

karma kartum iharhasi

Therefore, let the scripture be your authority in determining what should be done and what should not be done. You should perform your duty following the scriptural injunction. (16.24)

Nourish the Devas with Yajna, and the Devas will nourish you. Thus nourishing one another you shall attain the Supreme goal. (3.11)

Some worship Me by knowledge sacrifice. Others worship the infinite as the one in all (or non-dual), as the master of all (or dual), and in various other ways. (9.15)

The Saattvika persons worship Devas, the Raajasika people worship demons, and the Taamasika persons worship ghosts and spirits. (17.04)

Re

Conclusion: Krishna is saying only very few people will accept him in Kali-Yuga. Its very clear and Krishna is not bluffing. He is saying what he forsee. Thats the truth. Even in this HInduism forum, how many actually accept Krishna ?? Few.

Stop the misrepresentation, where does he say in Kali-yuga

Infect what he is saying is, is true in any Yuga

It is not a matter of accepting Krishna, because before the advent of Krishna around 5000 years ago there were and still are worship of other deities, so important thing is to follow Dharma and after many many births we may understand him in truth.

I may worship him as Krishna and yet not know his true nature and some one else may worship the supreme as another and yet know him better, such is the nature of the supreme.

Jai Shree Krishna

I would not have bothered entering this discussion if it wasn't for the reply by Ganeshprasad. It is good. Our minds are begining to awaken.

When ever someone uses terms such as "only" paired with a name of deity, this person is either a young student emersed in the rapture of a new path, a guru who is creating baby steps for his/her new student, or a liar trying to confuse or profit from ignorant minds.

Defining and otherwise limiting "god" is the true legacy of Kali Yuga and our limited minds. Unwittingly, this young student quoted above just illustrated this.

Yet, I say to this young student, continue to move forward and let no man tell you Krishna is not supreme. Krishna is supreme for you. Never lose faith that Krishna is otherwise. One day, you will find Krishna and then you will know that Krishna... is you!

Krishna (Christos, Christ), truthfully, are any person who finds him/herself and realizes (realization) that he/she is "god". This is the truth that minds cannot comprehend; this is what is behind the fog of "Kali Yuga".

Imagine a man comes up to you and says "I am god!". Do you attempt to "believe". Ha! There is nothing to believe! He is telling the truth! Yet he is no more "god" than you or I. It is only a matter of quieting the mind enough to know that there is no separation.

Parambrahma is indivisible.

There is nothing that is not of the creator of all "things". There is no heirarchy accept what is created in the minds of man. Krishna is only supreme because he knew that he was "god" and tried to put others on the path to know the same within themselves. Krishna did not have to believe, Krishna knew. Yet, to Arjuna and to all mankind, he had to set himself as the example for those to follow until they could come to the same conclusions.

Kali Yuga is over. (I know many will dissagree, especially Hare Krishnas. The great minds of this age made a mistake trying to decifer what had been intentionaly altered by a king who did not want to begin his reign at the dawning Kali Yuga. ~ read Yukteswar's Holy Science for an introduction.) We are firmly in Dwapara Yuga. The darkest part of Kali Yuga was around 500bc, the Dark Ages. It is no wonder why Yaoshua the Christos said much the same thing as Krishna.

The student above was correct in saying "the Bhagavat Gita is simple". It had to be. The Bhagavat Gita is like the Bible in this way. It had to be simple because only "belief" in one living god, god in one man, could keep the people from destoying themselves. They could not see "god" in themselves.

I know this is a digression and not part of this forum. Yet I said this only to illustrate that our minds are beginning to come out of the fog and we are starting to see the metaphors and subleties written in the Bhagavat Gita. It is simple, for those who need simplicity, and it is profound, for those who are beginning to see beyond substance:

Krishna and Arjuna are you, your "spirit" and your "mind" respectively. Just as Arjuna and Krishna become united in purpose and destiny, so too your "mind" and "spirit" when your mind finally has faith in its true master, your true Self.

Tell me why after the war would Krishna ask the pandava to worship Lord Shiva to atone for the sin of killing in the war?

To set the proper example:

yad yad acarati sresthas

tat tad evetaro janah

sa yat pramanam kurute

lokas tad anuvartate

"Whatever action a great man performs, common men follow. And whatever standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues."

Krishna says in the Gita that even He performs work (though not needing to) to set an example for others.

na me parthasti kartavyam

trisu lokesu kincana

nanavaptam avaptavyam

varta eva ca karmani

"O son of Pritha, there is no work prescribed for Me within all the three planetary systems. Nor am I in want of anything, nor have I a need to obtain anything—and yet I am engaged in prescribed duties."

yadi hy aham na varteyam

jatu karmany atandritah

mama vartmanuvartante

manushyah partha sarvasah

"For if I ever failed to engage in carefully performing prescribed duties, O Partha, certainly all men would follow My path."

utsideyur ime loka

na kuryam karma ced aham

sankarasya ca karta syam

upahanyam imah prajah

"If I did not perform prescribed duties, all these worlds would be put to ruination. I would be the cause of creating unwanted population, and I would thereby destroy the peace of all living beings."

Please see third chapter of Bhagavad Gita.

Guest guest

Dr.Oba,

Since you are Parabrahman, Parmeshwar Supreme God, therefore, we request you to kindly show your Universal form, as Krishna showed to Arjun.

If you think you are still in the process of self realization, and you cannot show your Universal Form till the time you do not reach brahmabhut platform, then sure your spiritual master from whom you have got this knowledge must be a realized soul (just like Krishna according to you). We therefore request you to ask your spiritual master to show his Universal Form. If your Guru fails to do so, then either your 'everyone is god' theory is false, or your spiritual master is not realized. In first case, why are you after the knowledge which is incomplete/incorrect. In second case, why are you taking knowledge from an unrealized soul?

Hare Krishna !

Guest guest

Dr.Oba,

Since you are Parabrahman, Parmeshwar Supreme God, therefore, we request you to kindly show your Universal form, as Krishna showed to Arjun.

If you think you are still in the process of self realization, and you cannot show your Universal Form till the time you do not reach brahmabhut platform, then sure your spiritual master from whom you have got this knowledge must be a realized soul (just like Krishna according to you). We therefore request you to ask your spiritual master to show his Universal Form. If your Guru fails to do so, then either your 'everyone is god' theory is false, or your spiritual master is not realized. In first case, why are you after the knowledge which is incomplete/incorrect. In second case, why are you taking knowledge from an unrealized soul?

Hare Krishna !

Can you ask Krishna to show his universal form to you? Does he show it?

What about Christ? What about all the avatars who identify themselves as God? Can they show you their spiritual form just by request? No, I don't think so. And it's not because they're not God or one with God. It is because you are not ready to grasp it. Your mind is not prepared enough for the experience. But wait! That wasn't even an explanation you offered for why anyone would not be able to show their universal form to someone. Just as a station must be able to transmit information, a receiver must be able to receive information in order for that information to be successfully transmitted.

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid" bgColor=#e0e0e0>Tell me why after the war would Krishna ask the pandava to worship Lord Shiva to atone for the sin of killing in the war? </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

To set the proper example:

yad yad acarati sresthas

tat tad evetaro janah

sa yat pramanam kurute

lokas tad anuvartate

"Whatever action a great man performs, common men follow. And whatever standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues."

Jai Ganesh

I don’t know if I am missing the point here.

Any way if Krishna is setting an example then let us follow in his footstep or at least let us not try and minimize other deities worship.

Fortunate are those who seek to know the truth

Even more fortunate are those who tread the path of Dharma seeking blessings of Devas.

And those who have acquired the taste of holy names are even more fortunate in this age.

But as long as we have desires and envy in us those are elusive goals and perhaps I am envious of Krishna so it seems because for ever I am trying to defend various practice that exist in our Vedic Dharma (as if I am qualified), but I am still happy to chant those Vedic names which give me hope.

Jai Shree Krishna