IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
livingentity

Food for thought...fuel for spiritual discussion...

Rate this topic

Mr.Brahmajnana Caturvedi is a perfect celibate student of mayavada school. In spite of studying that philosophy, he was not satisfied in his heart. He has gathered various misconceptions about the activities of the supreme, His form and personality. In search for the absolute truth, he has come to the temple of Sri Sri Radha Gopinath. He wants to practice the life in the brahmacari-ashram and based on that training he wants to take further decisions in his life. As one of the presidents of the Temple what advice would you give to him? How will you clear his philosophical doubts?

Whatever you see before you is in one reality, the one reality prevades everything. One reality is nothing more than krishna himself, the Infinite self that alone exists is krishna. So, try to see krishna in everything, then you will truly be free from this cycle of Maya.

Hare Krishna

First I'd scratch my head (for a while), then think long and hard...think some more..and more..and finally!

I'd say:

"Just Chant Hare-Krishna !!"

Thats the only way the Mayavadi Philosophy can be cured from his mind.

Haribol!

Guest guest

I Think the Name of the lord is Krishn and not Krishna so why do i see everywhere on this forum the name as Krishna.

regards

Pavi Agrawal

agrawalpavi2@

"Best course to counteract the poison of mayavada philosophy is to serve an elevated vaisnava, perform the 9 activities of devotional service and read Srila Prabhupada's books all the way."

And in case anyone does not know the 9 activities of devotional service:

They are described by Prahlada Maharaja in the 7th Canto of the

Srimad Bhagavatam as follows:

To hear about Sri Visnu's transcendental name, His form, His

characteristics, His possessions and His pastimes and to hear and

chant about His pastimes, to remember them, to serve the lotus feet

of the Lord, to respectfully offer service to the Lord, to offer

prayers to the Lord, to become His servant, to consider the Lord

one's best friend and to offer Him everything-these nine processes

are recognized as pure devotional service.

1. HEARING (sravanam)

Maharaja Pariksit(the last seven days of his life, he constantly

heard the Srimad Bhagavatam).

2. CHANTING (kirtanam)

Sukadeva Goswami(spoke the Bhagavatam to Maharaja Pariksit)

3. REMEMBERING( visnu smaranam)

Prahlada Maharaja(never forgot Krsna despite constant tortures from

his father- Hiranyakashipu)

4. SERVING THE LORD'S LOTUS FEET (. sevanam)

Laxmi, the Goddess of Fortune, is always engaged in serving the

lotus feet of the Lord.

5. DEITY-WORSHIP (arcanam)

Maharaja Prthu used all of his royal possessions in order to offer

them in pure devotion to the Lord.

6.PRAYING (vandanam)

Akura offered prayers to Krsna when he was traveling to Vrndavana in

order to see Krsna.

7. EXECUTING ORDERS (dasyam)

Hanuman, the intimate servant of Ramacandra executed all of Sri

Ramacandra's orders despite all kinds of difficulties.

8. SERVING AS A FRIEND (sakhyam)

Arjuna was so close to Krsna, that the Lord offered Himself to

become his chariot driver and serve Arjuna and his brothers in

various ways.

9. COMPLETE SURRENDER (atma nivedanam)

Bali Maharaja gave Sri Vamanadeva his entire kingdom, his

possessions as well as his own body, although his own spiritual

master was against it.

Guest guest

"I Think the Name of the lord is Krishn and not Krishna so why do i see everywhere on this forum the name as Krishna"

obviously because you're wrong

. Anuttam is a young man who has come to the Hare Krishna temple. He, after having seen the activities at the temple started coming regularly but has too many reservations to accept the process of Krishna consciousness. “The sinful activities I have committed are far too many to be dealt with. What will be the benefit, anyway,even if I take to Krishna consciousness,” says Anuttam. “I’ve lost faith in avything of this material world.” He adds. “What ever I’ve tried to achieve in this material world or atleast tried to maintain has been snatched away at the cruel hands of time. It’s all a ‘few moments affair’. How is this new thing going to be different. And after all, my mother told me(since I don’t know much) that we are from a low class family. I think this also is my disqualification. My heart is filled only with grief and sorrow, I have tried many things, but all in vain. How is this process of yours going to help me?” How will you as a preacher of Bhagavad Gita guide Anuttam to accept the process of Krishna consciousness?

I probably already know what Govindaram will say!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

To preach the Gita, we live in the Gita. The words that bubble out of our mouths while we remember Sri Krsna, totally unattached to anything but Him will provide the greatest impetus for Anuttam to engage in the loving service of the Lord.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

You are a devotee of Krsna serving as a high court judge in a modern

democratic society. You are well aware of the "six kinds of aggressors" subject

to the death penalty in Vedic society. Such aggresors are tried by a council of

wise men, the execution of the guilty absolves them of the sinful reactions

due. How would you apply capital punishment to your judicial context? Where the

accused is tried by a "jury of his peers?"

I would simply apply the current law of the land. if in a state that allowed the death penalty I would apply it as I felt it necessary. If the state law had no death penalty allowance I would have to abide by that.

besides there is always the Star Chamber option. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

the death penalty was right when the world was so pure that it was very easy to find all the responsibles of a bad action

in this kaly yuga the society is evil, government is a bunch of stealers and killers, family is in complete confusion, school is completely materialistic, TV and medias are constantly teaching that we have to exploit others treating them as sexual objects, almost all the so called religious people are the worst fanatic and materialists...

if there's an homicide and we want to execute the guilty, we must necessarily kill some thousands of people, maybe everyone, surely we have to include the judges

if we give death penalty we take the karma, no doubts

I understand where you are coming from but doesn't Prabhupada also teach that there are instances where the death penalty is indeed called for and the correct punishment?

As Theist says though we are bound by local laws also in doling out such punishments no matter if we feel someone might deserve it.

But true punishment comes eventually....

I feel that an officer of the court should not act to independently. He has to deal with those individuals that are brought before him. Should one not be punished when caught committing theft just because the judge knows many others are doing it and not getting caught?

Also the so called compassionate people who oppose the death penalty will accept keeping someone in prison for life. Myself I would rather be executed and sent on to my next body then sit for 40 years in a prison enviroment.

And if I was innocent I would still rather be executed and allowed to move on. I would have to accept that I was punished for a crime in a previous life.

allowed to move on

This is basically what Prabhupada tells us is the reason to punish a murderer with the death penalty.

I am searching for the quote but have not found it yet. Perhaps someone else will remember where it is.

Sometimes I think that perhaps the old west justice was proper afterall!!

"I understand where you are coming from but doesn't Prabhupada also teach that there are instances where the death penalty is indeed called for and the correct punishment? "

the problem is not the guilty, humanity is doing so much sins that everyone has to be killed... and kalki avatara definitely will do this making no distinctions

the problem is who gives the death, is there only one judge who can give death penalty purely and without an atom of selfish interest?

the istance is that a if a pure devotee is the judge, this pure king wants the benefit of all others, also of the poor man who has to be killed

if we are not pure we will take karma, so let us build vedic society and we will naturally see al the institutions, ksatrya included

now, if you want to kill me you have to be sinless, otherwise what is the difference, you are guilty of something like me

let us consider that we westerners, have killed millions of cows before accepting the advice of srila prabhupada... killing has no prescription......... brr

"I feel that an officer of the court should not act to independently"

if doing my job i have to commit sins, i have to quit it... a butcher is not saved because he is doing his job!!

" Should one not be punished when caught committing theft just because the judge knows many others are doing it and not getting caught?"

are you without faults? are you ready to kill the guilty with your hands, are you completely without selfish interests doing it, are you detached, do you really want the good of this person, do you do this only for mercy?

if you can take this responsibility you can kill, or, with the elections, send a governor to do this.. but you are killing

we devotees know that this world is like hell, what is the surprise if there are sinners? our job is to chant hare krishna and rebuild the vedic society

and we are brahmanas, not ksatrya, to kill people is not our job

let us talk of death penalty when there will be kings like arjuna or yudhistira, not bush, berlusconi, chirac etc.

Sorry yashodanandana,

You are speculating and coming to the conclusion of advocating mundane inaction. If we follow it out a little further we would have a complete abandonment of the judical system and further it would come to total anarchy.

If you are being attacked and a policeman(or anyone) comes to your aid would you ask them first if they were pure enough to judge your attacker? If they weren't would you tell them to go away and come back and help you once they are pure?

>>let us consider that we westerners, have killed millions of cows before accepting the advice of srila prabhupada... killing has no prescription......... <<

You can't mean this. It must be a language thing.

otherwise what is the difference, you are guilty of something like me

In considering the death penalty - I often think about what this does to the karma of all of those involved in the process. But then isn't it in their karma to be involved? I am reminded of the picture (I am sure you have seen it) of the cow's head on the man's body and the man's head on the cow's body. The cow head/man body is in the process of killing the man head/cow body. It is a difficult picture for me to look at but I think it is a good example to explain what I am trying to say here.

"If you are being attacked and a policeman(or anyone) comes to your aid would you ask them first if they were pure enough to judge your attacker? "

wes, in the practical life, you are glad that he is defending

but ask yourself the reason of the problem you have in that moment... if anyone attacks you, it is because you are paying some karma...

the problem is that we know very well that every action has a reaction and you are saying that in only one case.... giving death penalty..... this rule does not work

if you are conditioned if you kill you get the karma

or

if you are conditioned everything you do produces karma

if you are a pure devotee, everything you do is for krsna and it is not touched by material laws

in my opinion it is simple....

"In considering the death penalty - I often think about what this does to the karma of all of those involved in the process. But then isn't it in their karma to be involved? "

for this reason we say that we are eternally conditionated.... because this is the entanglement,, if you do something good, there's a little percent of bad that creates new karma, new births etc.

we will deliver ourselves only taking the shelter of guru and gauranga, but they want that we make less karma as possible to make this path easier... so we follow regulative principles..

Hare Krishna

I probably already know what Govindaram will say!!

Really, are you psychic? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

How will you as a preacher of Bhagavad Gita guide Anuttam to accept the process of Krishna consciousness?

He's already got his foot in the door, if it was me (ooh the power trip I'd say:

Sit down there buddy and give me 64 rounds of Harinama!

Then we'll see what to do next....(8 hours later and a bad cramp later)

Anuttam "I've finished the rounds Govindaram"

Me: "Good, Hare-Krishna" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

5 years later...Anuttam becomes Hari Das /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif