IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
I_love_krishna_

Mala for chanting...

Rate this topic

This has troubled me for quite a while and I tried to buy some Mala, but sadly failed.

However,

I do have a question for devotees here. Is it necessary to use the mala to chant the beads? Can't we not use the beads and keep track of chanting in our minds? Or does the mala have any special importance?

Please shed some light on this issue, I thank you very much.

Guest guest

initiated devotees use tolsi wood malas given by the spiritual master... in this way they are sacred three times, because tulasi is a sacred plant, because they are given by guru, because they're used for chant

if you want you can buy one in a harekrsna temple shop

but there's no problem, chanting is superior to all the rules, so you can chant using everything to count.. rudraksa, christian rosary, a little rope with 108 knots, a japa done by you with any material, plastic, wood, or whatever.... fingers... crosses in a paper...and so on

the important thing is that you chant a fixed number of rounds (one mahamantra x 108) every day

the first American devotees did. Get some string and 109 (one is larger and is the Krishna bead - not chanted on) wooden beads and string your own. Get a smaller piece of string and 20 little wood beads and make counter beads.

Viola!! Next step - chant.

Just a funny side note: My first beads were some plastic Mardi Gras beads (I am from N.O. area and it was all I had at the time),