IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
dasa

Old Indian Remedy

Rate this topic

Old Indian remedy may be a cholesterol beater

A tree gum used in traditional Indian medicine for nearly 3,000 years could be used to develop powerful new cholesterol-busting drugs.

According to scientists resin from the guggul tree has been used as a Hindu Ayurvedic remedy for centuries to treat a wide range of ailments including obesity and blood fat disorders.

An extract from the resin, called guggulipid, has been used to treat high levels of harmful cholesterol and triglycerides in India since 1987 and is available in health food stores in the West.

Scientists in the US have now unlocked the secret of its success, possibly paving the way to a new generation of powerful cholesterol-lowering medicines.

A team led by Dr David Moore and PhD student Nancy Urizar at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas, discovered how guggul extract affects a cholesterol-regulating system in the body.

The extract targets a molecule called FXR which helps control the conversion of cholesterol to bile acids.

When the bile level reaches a certain point, FXR kicks in to stop more cholesterol being converted. Cholesterol is then allowed to build up in the blood.

The scientists found that a steroid in the tree resin called guggulsterone blocks FXR activity so that cholesterol continues to be broken down into bile.

Guggulipid is available in US health food stores. As well as lowering cholesterol it is also said to increase metabolism, resulting in weight loss.

Story filed: 19:00 Thursday 2nd May 2002

Guest guest

Does anyone have a recommendation as to which Guggul product is better. I have been using the Guggul Lipid Extract by the Himalaya company that suppposedly contains a good amount of guggulsterones in it. Do you have a recommendations as to which one is good. The product I used is from the http://www.herbalprovider.com web page.

Thanks.

Mark Hamilton

I had not seen this thread before. I started taking the same product from Himalaya Co. at the recommendation of a friend in India. Haven't had my cholestoral check lately so I don't know if it is working or not - I hope so!!

One thing I have noted though is - I have only been on it for a very short time and without changing my diet or exercise I have lost about 7 lbs. /images/graemlins/grin.gif So if only for that reason, I am going to continue using it.