IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
bhaktashab

Should We Take Jaganatha In His Ratha on the Saint Patricks Day Parade

Rate this topic

We here at ISKCON Perth are going to go in the Saint Patricks Day parade with Jaganatha. Should we participate in this event which is not part of Vedic culture? Will it be anti-preaching and offensive towards Catholics? Or do the advantages of the benediction of Lord Jaganatha taking a ride on our streets for everyone to see outway any disadvantages?

------------------

shab.

From Sri Caitanya Bhagavata, Madhya 13:

Very much amused, Advaita said, "That is nothing special for Him. An intoxicated person should join other drunks. He is drunk with love of God, so He should join the other two. As a renunciate devotee you have no business in such company. I know Nityananda's character and ability; He will make everyone intoxicated with divine love. Wait another few days; He will bring those two also into the Vaisnava fold."

My personal opinion is that it is best to allow the Catholics to define their own parade as they wish. Understanding that we view our religion as wonderful, still I don't think it appropriate to try to impose our systems on them. I also am a bit concerned that we might be using Lord Jagannatha inappropriately. I remember a story that Mother Malati once told where they took Lord Jagannatha to the park. Srila Prabhupada corrected them, by first saying that Lord Jagannatha is always accompanied by Lord Balaram and Lady Subhadra (they only took Lord Jagannatha), and second that He only leaves the temple for Ratha Yatra. So it might not be appropriate to take the deity out of the temple (even though it is a preaching opportunity). Those are my considerations.

I am tending to agree with you Gauracandra.

We participated in the Christmas parade here, which was conveniently subtitled as a 'Christmas and Multi-cultural parade', and that was very successful. But I'm not so sure about this one. Most people nowadays think that Saint Patricks day is an excuse to get plastered. I mean we wont be joining the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras. I think we should just organise our own Ratha Yatras and be satisfied with that. People can't stand having other cultures impose themselves on their own.

------------------

shab.

When I was in New York, we joined a parade of transcendental groups down Fifth Avenue. We took the Gaura-Nitai deities from the Padayatra group on a big cart. We ended up at Thompson Square Park and had a rockin' kirtan show. This could be a solution.

Are they really glorifying Saint Patrick? With green beer? I guess the parade organizers have had their chance to exclude the devotees.

CORRECTION: What am I saying. Gaura-Nitai had stopped in New York, and arranged a big parade down the main street of the world's most influential city. They brought us along to sing Their glories. We tagged along, reeling in Their glory.

[This message has been edited by gHari (edited 02-12-2002).]

My thoughts exactly Valaya. And I am presuming that the Arch Bishop has no idea. And who is supposed to be managing the managers here? We never see the GBC here with any of these duties in mind. But despite all that we are still doing the most harinam, still distributing the most books and still distributing the most prasadam. It's kali yuga, what else can I say?

------------------

shab.

If you need permission, get it. If not, go for it spontaneously.

Be respective when you preach. Naturally some will oppose.

In Kaliyuga, no matter what u do, someone will object.

Of course! Do it! It's recommended in all our zAstras yes!

In e.g.

1) NArada's San Patrika pancaratra;

2) Patrika-Panca-tattva in 5 Features

3) Pancaratrika-patrika vidhi

At agni-hotra yajnas we always pray:

4) apatrika patriko vA sarvAvasthAM gato'pi vA

yaH smaret pundarIkAxam sa bAhyAbhyantara suciH

ZrI ViSNu ZrI ViSNu ZrI ViSNu

Furthermore, if St Patty really removed all snakes from Ireland,

he must then be related to Mhrj Janmanjaya, Parixit Mhrj's son.