IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

A good joke...

Rate this topic

A tip to all: When someone is being sarcastic or intolerant, give them a dose of their own medicine. It always works wonders, as I have observed.

Personally I would advise people against such an approach. It is not a good policy to respond to intolerance with intolerance. It may be what comes naturally to one's mind at such a time, but we should control our anger as prescribed in the Gita.

Jndasji,

I would rather say that Gita says to take rebirth from the tamasik form in which anger appears in us originally. IN such form it does not see reason. If we take rebirth from such tamasik anger and tunr it into satvik, we will find that anger is actually not bad. In satvik form it is like the anger of Krishna where it is never devoid of reason or super-human in form. It is a rightly produced emotion at times of need. It will be like a fore that warms our body when needed and not an atomic explosion within us that leaves a vacuum inside us in its aftermath. When we are left in pure vacuum we are like Trishanku and no more human. Wheras our dharma is always to find a way towards remaining human at all times.

Cheers

Originally posted by shvu:

Then the following statement is bad too, because it is saying the exact same thing.

There is no religion in the world except Krsna consciousness. All bogus. - Prabhupada

The same people who are finding Ron's position funny did not find this statement funny. It is common knowledge that the christian thinks that only christians will be saved. It is part and parcel of christianity. Likewise every other religion says it is the only right one. I fail to see the logic behind posting a private e-mail here as a joke. If Ron were also viewing the forum, then it may have been allright because he would have had a chance to backup his claim or at least people could have told him that different people have different beliefs.

What is the point now, except sarcasm? This gives an impression that the Hindus laugh at christianity.

Cheers

Dear Shvu, Right on! Sadly, but right on!

------------------

Radhe Radhe ALWAYS Radhe!

Originally posted by Love:

Jndasji,

I would rather say that Gita says to take rebirth from the tamasik form in which anger appears in us originally. IN such form it does not see reason. If we take rebirth from such tamasik anger and tunr it into satvik, we will find that anger is actually not bad. In satvik form it is like the anger of Krishna where it is never devoid of reason or super-human in form. It is a rightly produced emotion at times of need. It will be like a fore that warms our body when needed and not an atomic explosion within us that leaves a vacuum inside us in its aftermath. When we are left in pure vacuum we are like Trishanku and no more human. Wheras our dharma is always to find a way towards remaining human at all times.

Cheers

AGREED!

------------------

Actually we should not laugh at the response given by Mr. Ron. We should be offended and

angered by it. But according to the Gita anger is one of the three paths leading to hell; thus it

should be avoided. In such a case it is much better to see an offensive statement in a humorous

manner, and display it for the cultural education of all.

Some people would rather we respect other's rights to insult minorities. They feel we should

silently observe. I would disagree.

Such deep lying disdain of other cultures and religions, which is practically spontaneous,

naturally arising within certain people, should be exposed, not ignored.

Yes prabhu, but public mockery and humiliation while somehow assuming oneself as superrior is certainly not the best way. I would like to be able to expect better of the participants on THIS forum, at least (there ARE others...). I'm not above or beyond anything, but there's a time and a place. As you yourself said, this may not be the place. Of course, some are always ready to belittle others as a form of amusement, especially when supported within their own peer group. They're called bullies and I certainly had enough of that as a child, thank you. Why encourage them here?

------------------

Originally posted by Satyaraja dasa:

Indeed a very rajasic discussion, where gastronomic preferences are placed as the Absolute Truth. All parties are very disturbed by the concept of what is a palatable dish and what is sacred. Let's see:

1)" In the presence and service of: AUM SRI 108 SRI SRIMAN VENKATA-VAIKHANASA TURIYATAKA PRADHANA PRAMAN JYESTHA ACHARYA, SRIVARI SAMPRADAYIN SRI SRIMAN TIRUVENKATADASA DIKSHITULU TURIYATAKACHARYA JIYER; it is offered being supreme mercy absolute:

"The position taken by the Puri Temple is correct.

"There is absolutely no question in permitting cow-eaters into a temple which is being serviced classically by The Sri Vaikhanasa Sampradaya."

2) Recently a famous Hindu acarya stated that the Pope himself is to be considered a cruel demon because he eats veal (calves).

3) Muslims states that Hindus are dominated by Satan because they eat pigs. So, all Hindus are very impure according Muslim point of view. Jews agree with this statement made by Muslims in spite of their chronic disputes.

4) Christians states that Hindus have no pity and are very cruel and barbarians because they have the largest cattle herd of the world and most of Indian population is suffering on chronic starvation and protein shortage. They would have a better future in this planet if they eat their cattle instead of worship it.

5) Ironically nowadays India is one of the bigger beef exporters. Large amounts of Indian cattle are being exported all over as frozen beef with Indian government support. Is not this cattle sacred?

It seems to be an unending religious match on God's instructions about what to eat.

Regarding Hindu scriptures is clear stated in Gitopanisad (3.13):

yajña-sistasinah santo / mucyante sarva-kilbisaih

bhuñjate te tv agham papa / ye pacanty atma-karanat

"Saintly persons who accept the remnants of yajña become free from sin, but those who cook grains and other foodstuffs for their own sake are sinful, and certainly partake of sin."

So, God's instruction is to eat the remnants of a sacrifice, sacred foodstuff.

Christian, Muslims, Jews, have all similar statements in their sastras; "One should offer whatever he eats as a sacrifice to God's pleasure."

Nowhere in sastra is stated that God is starving or that He is hungry, and therefore He need to be feed by humans with material foodstuff of any kind, veg or non-veg. The conclusion of all sastric instructions is that God should be always remembered and one should never forget Him.

dasa dasanudasa

Satyaraja dasa

Dear Sayyaraj, Very good! Especially your last paragraph and the last sentence in particular. Thank you, prabhu.

------------------

I am not so tolerant as many of you.I believe those that try and justify their slaughterhouse 'culture' in the name of God and Jesus should be called on the carpet and told in no uncertain terms that their immense cruelty and real love for God and Jesus Christ cannot live together in the same heart.They will have to make a choice.

We can be polite but we must be firm.Strong forceful preaching is a tradition in the Bible.They actually respect that.

"Hey you call yourself a lover of God so why are you torturing His creation?"

The Christians do good works in the social field.They are leaders in the fight against abortion for example.Krishna hears their prayers as He hears ours.This isn't really one religion against another.It is compassion against cruelty.

The really unfortunate thing is that they link Jesus's name to this nonsense.Jesus is found with those that do the will of the Supreme Father and Friend of us all.

I say save the name of Jesus from these so-called Christians.Jesus is a Krishna-bhakta, and His Avatar.

This is an excerpt from a letter to Kirtanada from Srila Prahupada:

I am very glad to learn that Lord Jesus Christ has approved our activities. Perhaps you have marked it in my preaching work that I love Lord Jesus Christ as good as Krishna; because He rendered the greatest service to Krishna according to time circumstances and society in which He appreared. Similarly Hajrat Mohammed and Lord Buddha also rendered greatest service to the human society according to circumstances. So work with more enthusiasm and we are sure to be successful in our great mission.

MC

Guest guest

Originally posted by amanpeter:

It may seem so at times, but you have a peculiar kink in your's at ALL times!

Thanx, punk. Coming from you that is the highest compliment.

Originally posted by jndas:

It may be what comes naturally to one's mind at such a time, but we should control our anger as prescribed in the Gita.

This was in reference to the following instructions from the Gita:

tri-vidham narakasyedam

dvaram nasanam atmanah

kamah krodhas tatha lobhas

tasmad etat trayam tyajet

There are three gates leading to this hell--lust, anger and greed. Every sane man should give these up, for they lead to the degradation of the soul.

vita-raga-bhaya-krodha

man-maya mam upasritah

bahavo jnana-tapasa

puta mad-bhavam agatah

Being freed from attachment, fear and anger, being fully absorbed in Me and taking refuge in Me, many, many persons in the past became purified by knowledge of Me--and thus they all attained transcendental love for Me.

kama esa krodha esa

rajo-guna-samudbhavah

mahasano maha-papma

viddhy enam iha vairinam

Lust and anger, being born of contact with the material mode of passion, are the all-devouring, sinful enemy of this world.

kama-krodha-vimuktanam

yatinam yata-cetasam

abhito brahma-nirvanam

vartate viditatmanam

Those who are free from anger and all material desires, who are self-realized, self-disciplined and constantly endeavoring for perfection, are assured of liberation in the Supreme in the very near future.

krodhad bhavati sammohah

sammohat smrti-vibhramah

smrti-bhramsad buddhi-naso

buddhi-nasat pranasyati

From anger, delusion arises, and from delusion bewilderment of memory. When memory is bewildered, intelligence is lost, and when intelligence is lost, one falls down again into the material pool.

saknotihaiva yah sodhum

prak sarira-vimoksanat

kama-krodhodbhavam vegam

sa yuktah sa sukhi narah

Before giving up this present body, if one is able to tolerate the urges of the material senses and check the force of desire and anger, he is a yogi and is happy in this world.

Guest guest

Hey BB prabhu, is `punk` better than `dude`?

Depends which sub-culture you identify with.

Posted Image

Originally posted by rand0M aXiS:

Depends which sub-culture you identify with.

Posted Image

Don't want to waste space here, but you must know that politically I agree with you, for the most part. As for sub-cultures, I identify with none and thus remain isolated in the midst of this major city. Life can be lonely here at the bottom, too. Enough said, prabhu?

------------------

>There is no religion in the world except Krsna consciousness. All bogus. - Prabhupada

We actually see that there are many Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Buddhists and religionists of other cults who adhere to their religious principles very nicely but are not equal to all living entities. Indeed, although they profess to be very religious, they kill poor animals. Such religion has no meaning. Çrémad-Bhägavatam (1.2.8) says:

dharmaù svanuñöhitaù puàsäà

viñvaksena-kathäsu yaù

notpädayed yadi ratià

çrama eva hi kevalam

One may be very expert in following the religious principles of his own sect, but if he has no tendency to love the Supreme Personality of Godhead, his observance of religious principles is simply a waste of time. One must develop a sense of loving Väsudeva (väsudevaù sarvam iti sa mahätmä sudurlabhaù). The sign of a devotee is that he is a friend to everyone (suhådaà sarva-bhütänäm). A devotee will never allow a poor animal to be killed in the name of religion. This is the difference between a superficially religious person and a devotee of the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

In this age of a godless civilization, the sages of world-recognized religious sects who believe in God must come out of their secluded places and preach the science of God, the Supreme Will, to the people in general. Hindus, Muslims, Christians, and the members of the other sects that have convincing faith in the authority of God must not sit idly now and silently watch the rapid growth of a godless civilization. There is the supreme will of God, and no nation or society can live in peace and prosperity without acceptance of this vital truth.

The warning is already there, and responsible leaders of religious sects must meet together and form a common platform of a league of devotees of the Lord. There is no need for self-realized souls to live in a secluded place. Perfect self-realized souls, engaged in the service of the Lord, are unafraid of mäyä, just as law-abiding citizens of a state never fear the police. Such fearless devotees of God always speak scientifically about the existence of God, even at the risk of death. Such devotees of God feel compassion for the mass of people, who have completely forgotten the Supreme Lord and who engage in the false pursuit of happiness that ends in the sense pleasures enjoyed by the hogs and dogs.

Çréla Prabhupäda: Yes. I don’t say that Christians should become Hindu. I simply say, “Please obey your commandments.” I’ll make you a better Christian. That is my mission. I don’t say, “God is not in your tradition—God is only here in ours.” I simply say, “Obey God.” I don’t say, “You have to accept that God’s name is Kåñëa and no other.” No. I say, “Please obey God. Please try to love God.”

Prabhupäda: Yes. He says, “There is God. I am son of God.” That is paramparä. Yes. Unfortunately nobody cares to follow Jesus Christ. That I must say. Jesus Christ says, “Thou shall not kill,” and Christians are very expert to kill. (laughter) They take pride in bullfighting. This is the position. So it is very difficult to find out a real Christian.

Prabhupäda: Parékñit Mahäräja. He said that God consciousness, Kåñëa consciousness, cannot be understood by the animal killer. Vinä paçughnät. Nivåtta-tarñair upagéyamänät. You’ll find those who are animal killers, the so-called Christians and Mohammedans, they cannot understand. They (are) simply fanatics. Cannot understand what is soul, what is God. They have got some theories and they are thinking we are religionists. What is sin, what is pious activities, these things are not understood by them because they are animal killers. It is not possible.

Devotee: In the case of Christians, some of them worship Jesus Christ.

Prabhupäda: That is bhakti-yoga. Because they accept God. Unless you accept God there is no question of bhakti-yoga. So Christian religion is also Vaiñëavism because they accept God. Maybe in the, some stage different from this. There are different stages of God realization also. The Christian religion says “God is great.” Accept! That is very good. But just how great God is, that you can understand from Bhagavad-gétä and Çrémad-Bhägavatam. But there is acceptance that God is great. That is therefore that is beginning of bhakti. You can apply that bhakti. Even the Mohammedan religion. That is also bhakti-yoga. Any religion where God is the target, that is applied in bhakti. But when there is no God or impersonalism, there is no question of bhakti-yoga. Bhakti-yoga means bhaja jayukti bhaja-sevayä(?). Service. Service means three things: the servitor, the served, and service.

So modern civilization, everyone, mostly, they’re under the bodily concept of life and they’re fighting like animals, because that is animal life. Therefore Kåñëa instructs at the end that “You Hindus, Muslims, Christians, this, that, kindly kick out all these conceptions of religion.” Sarva-dharmän parityajya. Because that is not religion. This is bodily concept of life, the business of ass and cows. “So you give up this business.

Therefore if civilization is based on religious life, it doesn’t matter what religion he belongs to, he is elevated. Any religion. And therefore I ask the Christians that Lord Christ says that “Thou shall not kill,” why you are killing? They give some vague explanation. But actually a real Christian is as good as a real Hindu, as a real Muslim—if he follows. No religion is bad. We don’t say. But the first-class religion is that... That is explained here: sa vai puàsäà paro dharmo yato bhaktir adhokñaje. Every religion teaches how to love God more or less. Why more or less? That is the only aim. How to learn how to love God. But they are rejecting God, what to speak of love. Rejecting. “What is God, this nonsense? I am God. God is dead. Finished.”

We go to temple or church or mosque to get some material benefit: “O God, give us our daily bread.” The Christians pray like that. And the Hindus, they also pray, go to some demigod, or Kåñëa. Mostly they go to demigod, especially to Lord Çiva, because Lord Çiva’s name is Äçutoña. If you please Lord Çiva, it is very easy. He’s very easily satisfied. And whatever you want, he gives you: “All right, take it.” Therefore, generally people become devotee of Lord Çiva, because easily pliable. Viñëu is not so easily pliable. Devé is easily pliable. Say, for a meat-eater, goes to Devé: “My dear goddess, I want to eat meat.” Devé will allow: “All right. Bring a goat and sacrifice it before me, and you eat.” But if you go to Viñëu, “Sir, I want to eat meat,” He’ll not allow. Therefore they are very much devotees of Goddess Kälé. Purpose is to eat meat. He’s not a devotee.

This very word Kåñëa means “all-attractive.” You can attract by your love, not by anything else. Therefore His name is Kåñëa. I have read one book, Aquarian Gospel, among the Christians. In that book it is said that the word Christ has come from the word Christo, Christo, it is a Greek word, and the meaning of Christo is “lover, anointed.” So I think the word Christ is apabhraàça of Christo, and Christo... In India still, if one’s name is Kåñëa, we call him Kriñöo, or sometimes Keñöo. My younger brother, his name was Kåñëa. So in family we were calling him “Keñöo.” That is very current. So actually love, the word love, has come from Kåñëa. That is a fact.

But actually, it is meant for everyone. Just like here it is said, jévasya tattva-jijïäsä. It is everyone’s duty to inquire about the Absolute Truth. Where is the question of Hindu, Muslim or this or that? Truth is truth. Two plus two equal to four; it is accepted by the Hindus, Muslims, Christians and everyone. Science is science. So therefore we should be interested about inquiring. This is the confirmation in every scripture, in the Bhägavata also. This is also Bhägavata.

Dharmeëa means, religious principle means to act according to the order of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. This is religious principle. It is not that you manufacture some dharma: “We are Hindus,” “We are Muslims,” “We are Christians.” These are not dharmas. Nobody cares for God. Nobody carries out the order of God. Nobody knows what is God. Nobody knows what is relationship with God. So where is dharma? The, all bogus. Therefore Bhägavata says: dharmaù projjhita-kaitavo ’tra. This so-called cheating type of religious system is kicked out in Bhägavatam.

We do not decry any system of religion. We do not say that Hindu religion is better than Christian religion. In what way Hindu religion is better than Christian religion? The followers of so-called Christian religion, they’re also set of nonsense, and so are the Hindus. Why we should give preference to one class of rascals and fools than the other class of rascals and fools? We have no such idea, “The Hindus are greater than the Muslims or the Christians,” or “The Muslims or the Christians...” We do not con..

Now, sometimes, in..., the Christians, they say the Lord Jesus Christ sometimes ate fish. Is not that? But... Might have done so. One thing is Christ is powerful. Under certain circumstances, even if he had eaten some fish, that is not fault for him. Tejéyasäà na doñäya. In the çästra (it) says, those who are very powerful, if they sometimes do something which is prohibited for common man, that is special case. But even if you accept that Christ ate fish, “Therefore we shall eat meat and maintain big, big slaughterhouse, although in the Bible it is clearly said ‘Thou shalt not kill,’ ” this is not Christianity. This is against, violating the rules and regulation of Christianity. Factually, one should not kill.

<QUOTE> Posted by Shvu

Then the following statement is bad too, because it is saying the exact same thing.

There is no religion in the world except Krsna consciousness. All bogus. - Prabhupada

I agree with you. Personally, I may like Hinduism but it will be wrong on my part to say that all other religions are bogus. THEY ARE NOT. If we have right to say that other religions are bogus, then others also have right to say that our religion is bogus.

I have been posting in this forum for long. Not a single example can be given which shows that I ridicule other religions. On the contrary, many times I have objected to what ISKCON members have written. But it will not be correct if I decide that I should object to whatever they write.

One more thing: I did not find the letter humorous. I found it offensive.

Animesh,

I think it should be noted however that the quote above is separated from context (who is he speaking to, what is the conversation about, at what time is this occurring etc…) Kailasa for instance gave a very lengthy quote from Srila Prabhupada about what he considers bogus. He doesn’t care if you call God Krsna or whatever name you may choose. For instance, suppose I just gave this quote from Srila Prabhupada:

Nobody knows what is relationship with God. So where is dharma? The, all bogus.

You might get one impression. But suppose I gave this quote from Srila Prabhupada:

Dharmeëa means, religious principle means to act according to the order of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. This is religious principle. It is not that you manufacture some dharma: “We are Hindus,” “We are Muslims,” “We are Christians.” These are not dharmas. Nobody cares for God. Nobody carries out the order of God. Nobody knows what is God. Nobody knows what is relationship with God. So where is dharma? The, all bogus. Therefore Bhägavata says: dharmaù projjhita-kaitavo ’tra. This so-called cheating type of religious system is kicked out in Bhägavatam.

We do not decry any system of religion. We do not say that Hindu religion is better than Christian religion. In what way Hindu religion is better than Christian religion? The followers of so-called Christian religion, they’re also set of nonsense, and so are the Hindus. Why we should give preference to one class of rascals and fools than the other class of rascals and fools? We have no such idea, “The Hindus are greater than the Muslims or the Christians,” or “The Muslims or the Christians...” We do not con..

If one reads all of Kailasa’s quote, Srila Prabhupada is being very open minded to other religions. I remember a story I was told in which Srila Prabhupada was in Tehran. In the background, he heard a loud chanting of ‘Allah’ and he asked what it was. His disciple, told him it was the muslims chanting the Namaz (I think that is what it is called) in which they call out to Allah. Srila Prabhupada simply sat there and shook his head and said “Very nice”. Then another disciple came in (Atreya Rishi) and said “But Prabhupada, its not as good as chanting Hare Krsna”. Srila Prabhupada sat there for a moment with eyes closed listening to the Namaz and then said “Now you are asking me to be sectarian”. There aren’t many Hindus who would say something positive about Muslims.

This reminds me of what bad movies do for reviews. A reviewer will say “This is one of the finest examples of movie making gone awry – Roger Ebert” and the producers will put in the newspapers “This is one of the finest examples of movie making… - Roger Ebert”. This happens all the time. So I think Kailasa has given good background on Srila Prabhupada’s mood in context with regard to other religions. Haribol.

Gauracandra

Who can deny that such religious sentiments have been the cause of intense suffering for so

many?

jndas:

Actually I believe the conception that everyone else is worshipping false gods (maybe the devil?), that

they are deceived, that they are heathens, heretics and the such, and that "my way is the only truth, and

everyone else must be converted to my way" is the cause of much suffering in the world. I think my

view can be substantiated by recorded history as well. The settling of North and South America is a

good example. The inquisition is a good example. The crusades is a good example. The colonization of

Africa is a good example.

Precisely why I do not find anything `funny` about that Email or the ignorance it expressed.

[This message has been edited by amanpeter (edited 05-25-2001).]

Fellow souls,

How are we to define Krishna consciousness?

Is it not the natural fulfilled state of the soul?What do the residents of the Spiritual Sky have to do with religion?

Krishna tells us in the Gita to abandon all these karma and jnana based mundane faiths and just surrnder unto Him.This is also what Christ taught, surrender to the Supreme Person.So we can see Krishna consciousness there as well.

If someone has developed unmotivated devotional service in love to God that is the test.

We can accept this essence anywhere we see it.That is non-sectarian.

Krishna consciousness is not Hinduism, Christianity or Islam although degrees of Krishna consciousness can be found in all three.

And where we find it we can celebrate it.

YS MC

Originally posted by Maitreya:

Fellow souls,

How are we to define Krishna consciousness?

Is it not the natural fulfilled state of the soul?What do the residents of the Spiritual Sky have to do with religion?

Krishna tells us in the Gita to abandon all these karma and jnana based mundane faiths and just surrnder unto Him.This is also what Christ taught, surrender to the Supreme Person.So we can see Krishna consciousness there as well.

If someone has developed unmotivated devotional service in love to God that is the test.

We can accept this essence anywhere we see it.That is non-sectarian.

Krishna consciousness is not Hinduism, Christianity or Islam although degrees of Krishna consciousness can be found in all three.

And where we find it we can celebrate it.

YS MC

------------------

Maitreya,

Reborn Christian?

I am Hindu so I guess that makes me reborn again and again and again and again and again.....

Just kidding.

All-

In all seriousness ever notice how when the concept of a one omnipotent god- be it Krishna, Christ, Yaweh or Sri Whatever enters the picture there is tremendous conflict.

It is because no one can decide on the qualities of that "One." Different sects are formed by people who can kind of agree.

There is so much separatism in belief. Men will defend a concept or a belief about this one omnipotent being to the very death even within the framework of a specific religion. Northern Ireland is a good example.

This concept of a one omnipotent being seems to bring suffering and bloodshed wherever it goes.

Take India for example. There are many many deities. Within an entire village perhaps a thousand or more gods are worshiped and prayed to. The people are still able to eat together, dance together, marry, have children and there is no conflict over this. All is well until the introduction of the one omnipotent god concept. Soon everyone is bickering about who has the best invisible friend. I would only ask what in this universe is absolute?

I can not help but wonder about the statement of Jesus that he came not to bring peace, but a sword.

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on Earth; I have not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter in law against her mother in law, and a man's foes will be those of his own household."

Indeed.

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on Earth; I have not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter in law against her mother in law, and a man's foes will be those of his own household."

I would take that statement figuratively. We can see very practically that when someone takes to spiritual life, it is the family who first objects.

Yes, like to familial conflicts that many of us went through when we entered Prabhupada's temples.My parents a year or two later were even on the verge of hiring a deprogrammer/kidnapper.Others parents did.

Jesus also said that we should not conceive of anyone on earth as father for there is only one Father of us all.

The peace found in the material world is like the peace one finds in a stagnant pond.

Better war were Krishna is,than peace were He is not.

MC