IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Bhakta Shakta

STOP McDonald's from moving next to Krishna Temple!

Rate this topic

I saw a Pizza Hut in Ahmedabad last time I went there. Does anyone know anything about their ingredients?

I already know renin (animal fat) is used in American cheese. Many of these pizza chains in India will put a logo such as '100% vegetarian'. But who knows what is used to make the ingredients. This might only be the tip of the iceberg.

Maitreya: I just noticed that. I hope you saved your letter on Notepad. I don't think it's a conspiracy, I just think it's due to shoddy web designing. I tried getting in touch with Dallas Mayor Kirk and got the same result. But I just faxed letters to the Mayor and Plan Commission 10 minutes ago. Let me give you those addresses now:

Mayor Ron Kirk

City of Dallas

1500 Marilla Street, Room 5EN

Dallas, TX 75201-6390

Phone: 214 670 0773

Fax: 214 670 0646

Also:

City Plan Commission

Fax: 214-670-4210

Hope this has helped,

YS

Krsnacandra dasa

Krsnachandra, whats Notepad?I am a computer illerate.I'm still in HTML bootcamp. No its gone.But it was only a few short paragraphs.On the instruction of randOM I will try to post something like it although I am sure others will do better.

Notepad is the word-processing app that comes with Windoze for writing simple text files (no fonts or bold, italic, etc). Then you save the file with a .txt extension. Very simple and handy, you can also copy & paste (Control-C, Control-V) from other Windoze apps into Notepad. After you graduate HTML bootcamp (remember that!), will enroll you in Advanced Infantry Training....... Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Dear Honorable Mayor Ron Kirk,

Sir, it has come to the attention of the Hindu community here in America that a proposal to locate a McDonalds fast food establishment next to a sacred Hindu temple in your world famous city of Dallas is being seriously considered by your planning commission.

If I may say sir this is a serious mistake.Please consider that to those millions of us that are Hindus all life is sacred.We especially respect the cows,not out of blind sentiment or religious superstition, but out of a natural feeling of respectful gratitude.

The cow generously provides an abundance of milk products for the maintainence of human society.Our infants are nourished by the cows milk.Most of us were raised on cows milk and therefore it is natural that we would consider her a type of mother.

This is the viewpoint that we Hindus see the issue from.And as such a McDonalds next to our temple is really a slap in the face of us all.Not just those in Dallas.

We understand this was not anyone's intention, so that is why we are now letting our voices be heard in this matter.

Do all neighborhoods need to look alike?Surely something compatiable could be found for the space under consideration.

Dallas is one of the major cities not only in America but also the world.Surely there is room for diversity in Dallas, Texas.

Please let us look for an alternative establishment, one that will be in harmony with its neighbors.

This type of long range planning insures stabilty for the future.This is what planning commissions are for.

I appreciate the time you have given thus far in taking the deep rooted feelings of the Hindu community into your thoughtful consideration.

Sincerely,

Maitreya Christian

A copy of this letter is also being forwarded to the office of the planning commissioner.

Okay this is what I am sending.Copy if you wish but make it your own but adding points that I neglected.

Okay Jagat we need some editing here. Posted Image

Originally posted by rand0M aXiS:

Notepad is the word-processing app that comes with Windoze for writing simple text files (no fonts or bold, italic, etc). Then you save the file with a .txt extension. Very simple and handy, you can also copy & paste (Control-C, Control-V) from other Windoze apps into Notepad. After you graduate HTML bootcamp (remember that!), will enroll you in Advanced Infantry Training....... Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sir, yes sir.What is .txt extension sir?

Get real, people!

Instead of wasting your time fighting city hall, why not come up with a workable plan to move the temple to the countryside and away from all of the restaurants?

http://dailynews./h/ap/20010706/us/hare_krishna_mcdonald_s_1.html

According to this link above, McDonald's is going to commit yet another offense. They are opening a cow slaughtering restaurant right next to Dallas ISKCON temple. Now, I don't care what your affiliation is (ISKCON, GM, etc etc), EVERYBODY needs to get on their case and get them to pack their cow slaughtering instruments and find another place to set up shop. I encourage each and every one of you to write an e-mail to the City of Dallas Plan Commission, and tell them that having McDonald's next to the Krishna temple is akin to having a neo-nazi chapter set up camp next to a Jewish synagogue. I hope I can count on each and every one of you to write to them. The council is going to vote on thursday. Write your letter to them by the day before at least.

YS,

Krsnacandra dasa

http://www.dallascityhall.org/forms/planning/Form_Young_PJ.htm

Thanx, prabhu. When my new computer arrives in a couple weeks the whole site will be updated. I am operating under a severe handicap and OS currently, so that is why it is so simple and austere now.

Yes, I participated in some ecstatic kirtans in DC last month with him. He also gives very erudite and uplifting lectures. Sadhu-sangha ki jai!

Well, I just composed a nice letter on the page provided, sent it and got a message page indicating that the web site is no longer there.

Whats up?Did the planning commision remove the page to stop input from arriving at the desk?

Krishnachandra, any info?

Originally posted by Maitreya:

Sir, yes sir.What is .txt extension sir?

LOL! You do remember bootcamp, soldier!

The txt extension signifies the file is in a format for textfiles, as the htm or html extension signifies hypertext document, doc signifies MS Word file, wpd = WordPerfect file, wks or xls = Spreadsheet file, jpg or gif = picture file, etcetra.......

Does it matter if there is a McDonald's 5 metres away from a temple? 5 metres or 5000 metres, what difference does it make? Moving the restaurant to a different place, will not avoid slaughter of cows. And I've always wondered why people make a big ado out of cow slaughter and yet almost never talk about slaughter of any other animals. It seems funny.

The ancient Indians [including Rama, Krishna] ate meat. If it were not for the Buddha, people in India would still be eating meat, beef to be precise. The point is, if someone wants to eat meat why raise such a big fuss about it? Do as you please and let them do as they as they please.

Cheers

Originally posted by shvu:

Does it matter if there is a McDonald's 5 metres away from a temple? 5 metres or 5000 metres, what difference does it make?

I think the difference in this case is the terrible smell that comes from these restaraunts and polutes the neighborhood. No one is expecting to stop cow slaughter in the world by objecting to this restaraunt, and I think you pretty much knew that as well. You always like to somehow twist topics to some other subject, and then pass them off as the original writers intentions.

The fact is, in the U.S. you do have some right to determine your neighbors through legal means (i.e. lobbying the government or planning commission). Who ever wants to excercise their rights are free to try.

Moving the restaurant to a different place, will not avoid slaughter of cows.

Nobody ever said it would, and that's not the topic. But perhaps if you would like to give us your opinions on stopping the slaughter of cows throughout the world we could then try to implement that as well.

And I've always wondered why people make a big ado out of cow slaughter and yet almost never talk about slaughter of any other animals.

We obviously associate with different kinds of people, as most of the people I meet do object to animal slaughter of all kinds.

The ancient Indians [including Rama, Krishna] ate meat.

This was brought up on another thread. I stated there that I had yet to locate any verse from Valmiki Ramayana that state this. I went through the 10 or 20 claimed references I could locate on the internet, and not a single one existed. On that thread I asked you to provide what references you had come across, but I think you were too busy because you didn't reply.

If it were not for the Buddha, people in India would still be eating meat, beef to be precise.

Yeah, in Shvu's ancient india the main food was beef. Ok. Thanks for your comments. I think you should do some more research on the gomedha-yajna and get back to us with your conclusions.

Moving the restaurant to a different place, will not avoid slaughter of cows.

Nobody ever said it would, and that's not the topic. But perhaps if you would like to give us your opinions on stopping the slaughter of cows throughout the world we could then try to implement that as well.

...are opening a cow slaughtering restaurant right next to Dallas ISKCON temple

This is what the thread was started on, if you would care to go back and read.

This was brought up on another thread. I stated there that I had yet to locate any verse from Valmiki Ramayana that state this. I went through the 10 or 20 claimed references I could locate on the internet, and not a single one existed. On that thread I asked you to provide what references you had come across, but I think you were too busy because you didn't reply.

I did reply back by giving a precise quote asking for verification to which you did not reply. You can go back and check that thread, if interested.

Yeah, in Shvu's ancient india the main food was beef. Ok. Thanks for your comments. I think you should do some more research on the gomedha-yajna and get back to us with your conclusions.

How about a sample?

If a man wishes that a son should be born to him who will be a famous scholar, frequenting assemblies and speaking delightful words, a student of all the Vedas and an enjoyer of the full term of life, he should have rice cooked with the meat of a young bull or of one more advanced in years and he and his wife should eat it with clarified butter. Then they should be able to beget such a son. -Brhadaranyaka Upanishad 6.4.18

And this was at a time, when the Veda was limited to the circle of Brahmanas only.

With due respect, it takes more than iskcon books to learn about ancient India. Viewing everything from behind Gaudiya tinted glasses just does not cut it.

Cheers

"Does it matter if there is a McDonald's 5 metres away from a temple? 5 metres or 5000 metres, what difference does it make?"

Well it does matter when some of the devotees visiting the temple suffering from the munchies might not have complete control of their senses and might snoop into the MickeyD's for a midnight snack. Yum. Their might be outside influence in this one (Islamic community?).

Random Axis:

"Renit is an enzyme not a fat. It may come from either vegetable or animal sources, whichever is cheapest locally at the food production site."

Thanks Random Axis (BB). I will research that one. So how is my Y2k-bug friend doing. Whatever happened. You seemed preety sure that their would be world-wide disaster. Nothing happened. Get that brain checked dude. Watchout for the CAT scan. It might have a malignant chip!

...are opening a cow slaughtering restaurant right next to Dallas ISKCON temple

This is what the thread was started on, if you would care to go back and read.

Krsnachandra obviously is refering to the fact that McDonalds is a business BASED on the slaughter of cow's.

I rather like the fact that he is willing to stand up for them[iskcon] even though they have exiled him.

Perhaps to shvu it's all one and he wouldn't see a difference between having a McDonalds next door or a Govinda's.

I see a big difference.BIG, really BIG.

[This message has been edited by Maitreya (edited 07-09-2001).]

Originally posted by shvu:

Maitreya,

Can you tell me what in your opinion should be the minimum distance between a temple and the nearest McDonalds and why?

Thanx

shvu,

Thanks for giving me an easy one.McDonalds should be banned from the planet.They are an insult to the concept of compassion and Mother Bhumi should be relieved of her burden.

Until then,the general rule holds that they should be kept away at the greatest distance possible.

Thanks for giving me an easy one.McDonalds should be banned from the planet.They are an insult to the concept of compassion and Mother Bhumi should be relieved of her burden. Until then,the general rule holds that they should be kept away at the greatest distance possible.

I guessed this is what you would say Posted Image This is with a view of preventing animal slaughter which mean there should be no such activites anyhwere close to a temple or far away.

However this is not the point that K is making. His problem is that he objects to a McDonalds close to the temple. In other words, if it were a couple of blocks away, he would have no problems with it. And that is the point that I am talking about.

Cheers