IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

What do you think about pets as therapy?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm glad your potatoes were good. I am quite a fan of potatoes. I've never had gogi berries, although I know the 'stars' have them as they are supposed to be a very good source of anti-oxidants.

Jo

-

Angelo Dicks

Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:29 PM

RE: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Long time haven't chated, nice to the ideas have remained fresh. Pulled up my first ganny potatoes, they made great fries. Love the comment about thinking of our kids as pets, when angry. Now at least I know i'm not alone. Waiting to see if gogi plant grows berries first year, if not they produced the most visualy stunning flowers I have seen in a long time ,that seem to open during the day and close at night. Life been hectic with training for Human Race, August 31. Namaste

From: swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) comDate: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:18:29 +0000Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?

That is odd, as I am Welsh! maybe they were emigrants! The part of the country I associate the most with that term is the Newcastle area.

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Saturday, 26 July, 2008 3:06:03 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Hi Peter

Funny thing is, I've most often heard it used to refer to humans by people speaking with Welsh accents...

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:01 PM

Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?

I think that it maybe confined to certain regions in the uk, certainly not heard here in south wales. I would tend to agree with Frag on this one.

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comFriday, 25 July, 2008 11:35:21 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

It really doesn't mean that over here. It means a much loved person.

Jo

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:31 PM

we call our's "our kids"...they are only pets when we get mad at themhahahahhahahaseriously tho, a lot of folks have issues with the word pet, as it denotes a level of ownership and subservience

jo Jul 25, 2008 8:35 AM @gro ups.com Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?

LOL - I agree.

Jo

-

tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com

@gro ups.com

Friday, July 25, 2008 10:13 AM

In a message dated 7/20/2008 11:42:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, Dragonheart_ Kitty (AT) hotmail (DOT) com writes:

> I know a lot of us vegans do not approve of the term or idea of pets, prefering companions, but what do you think about animal therapy for depression treatment? Peter vv> >

HUH??? A pet is a companion and most are very good ones. I see nothing wrong with calling a pet a pet. What's the big deal?

Tammy

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with . Get started.

Guest guest

One theory we had was that our resident cats " told " the other cats

that ours was a safe house. They often get a bit territorial with new

cats, but occasionally, when a cat is injured or seems to really need

a home in some way, they will let the new one eat with them without

fighting. Our friends also deliver many animals to us: orphaned

birds, sick dogs or cats, or any animal that seems to need help. I

guess I like that my friends see me as the one who can help the

animals, but it's expensive. This is why I'm in vet school... we

can't afford the vet bills any longer!

~Faith

, yarrow wrote:

> Do you know for sure that they don't go to other doors and cry out?

> Maybe yours is the only door that opens for them.

>

> Or maybe they all " mark " your door in some way. I heard stories that,

> during the Great Depression in the U.S., hoboes marked symbols on the

> doors they visited to tell others whether this was a good place to

> get a meal, a drink, a bed, or nothing.

>

Guest guest

Hi Tammy,

Yes, they do make great pets, I love mine :) She's a Pekin who was

dumped at a pond, rescued, then we adopted her. We try to spoil her

as much as possible :)

What kind of ducks did you have? Did they come in the house? And have

you been a member of either of the for pet duck and

goose owners?

Jess

, tammyco5 wrote:

>

>

> Hi Jess,

> Oh...I totally agree with you!!! I had 2 pet ducks for 11 yrs. and

they are

> GREAT pets!!! People can be so cruel. Give Ducky a kiss for me.

>

> Tammy

>

> In a message dated 7/28/2008 2:51:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time,

> jessie3641 writes:

>

>

>

>

> Wow, this is quite the thread. Personally, I refer to my ducky as

my

> half-child, baby, or just pet. Since I have what is typically

> considered a farm animal for a pet, I encounter a lot of people

who

> find this strange because they think of pets only as the cat and

dog

> variety. I hear some very rude comments from people about eating

my

> ducky - now, that's something to get upset about, when someone

calls

> your pet dinner! As far as calling them pets, companions,

children,

> furry/feathery things that run around the house - I say, call them

> whatever you want, just don't call my pet dinner. A pet means

something

> different to every person and that needs to be respected.

>

> Jess

>

> _@grovegan_c_

( ) ,

> yarrow@ wrote:

> >

> > At

>

>

>

**************Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up

for

> FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

> (http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)

>

Guest guest

It's about terms for pets. Peter called his pets 'kids'. and it went from there.

Jo

-

fatou loume

Monday, July 28, 2008 12:32 AM

ah what is all this --- En date de : Dim 27.7.08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> a écrit :

De: Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Objet: Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?À: Date: Dimanche 27 Juillet 2008, 20h02

Well they certainly act like it!

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSaturday, 26 July, 2008 11:48:26 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

They are not kids either!

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Saturday, July 26, 2008 9:46 PM

thats cause they are not pets....:)

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSaturday, 26 July, 2008 7:01:23 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Well - I've hear you and Fraggle call your pets 'furkids'!

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:59 PM

I agree, but talking about the common man and woman here, the type that doesnt know what etymology means, or use it in conversation. The majority use of the term pet refers to animals not humans. Wheras wife,husband & son & father are all descriptions of human family members not animals, wheras pet could be used by some as slang to describe a human, but not the other way around.

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSaturday, 26 July, 2008 9:40:30 AMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Hi Peter

You seem to have missed a few as well... it's been pointed out several times that that's not inherent in the etymology of the word, and that the same could be said of any relationship term: "wife", "husband", "son", "father"....

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Friday, July 25, 2008 7:55 PM

Hey Tammy,

Pay attention, you seem to have missed a few posts?

Some people associate the term pet, with ownership, as in "my pet" - i own it, it belongs to me type of ting....

Peter vv

"tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com" <tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com>@gro ups.comFriday, 25 July, 2008 10:13:03 AMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

In a message dated 7/20/2008 11:42:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, Dragonheart_ Kitty (AT) hotmail (DOT) com writes:

> I know a lot of us vegans do not approve of the term or idea of pets, prefering companions, but what do you think about animal therapy for depression treatment? Peter vv> >

HUH??? A pet is a companion and most are very good ones. I see nothing wrong with calling a pet a pet. What's the big deal?

Tammy

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

Envoyé avec Mail.Une boite mail plus intelligente.

Guest guest

I like the 'kind lady' sign - a cat.

Jo

-

fraggle

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:19 AM

www.slackaction.com/signroll.htm

One evening as the sun went down and the jungle fire was burningDown the track came a hobo hiking and he said boys I'm not turningI'm headin for a land that's far away beside the crystal fountainsSo come with me we'll go and see the Big Rock Candy MountainsIn the Big Rock Candy Mountains there's a land that's fair and brightWhere the handouts grow on bushes and you sleep out every nightWhere the boxcars are all empty and the sun shines every dayOn the birds and the bees and the cigarette treesWhere the lemonade springs where the bluebird singsIn the Big Rock Candy MountainsIn the Big Rock Candy Mountains all the cops have wooden legsAnd the bulldogs all have rubber teeth and the hens lay soft boiled eggsThe farmer's trees are full of fruit and the barns are full of hayOh, I'm bound to go where there ain't no snowWhere the rain don't fall and the wind don't blowIn the Big Rock Candy MountainsIn the Big Rock Candy Mountains you never change your socksAnd the little streams of alcohol come a-trickling down the rocksThe brakemen have to tip their hats and the railroad bulls are blindThere's a lake of stew and of whiskey tooYou can paddle all around 'em in a big canoeIn the Big Rock Candy MountainsIn the Big Rock Candy Mountains the jails are made of tinAnd you can walk right out again as soon as you are inThere ain't no short handled shovels, no axes saws or picksI'm a goin to stay where you sleep all dayWhere they hung the jerk that invented workIn the Big Rock Candy MountainsI'll see you all this coming fall in the Big Rock Candy Mountains

yarrow Jul 27, 2008 8:33 PM Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?

At 6:59 PM +0000 7/27/08, Faith wrote:> What about all the animals that keep showing up at our house without>asking if we want them? The little free-loaders take our food, and>our attention, but they refuse to get jobs and pull their weight>around here. I'd love to know how all the animals know how to pick>the suckers out of a crowd. With all the doors around here, they>always manage to chose ours to cry at. Odd.Do you know for sure that they don't go to other doors and cry out? Maybe yours is the only door that opens for them.Or maybe they all "mark" your door in some way. I heard stories that, during the Great Depression in the U.S., hoboes marked symbols on the doors they visited to tell others whether this was a good place to get a meal, a drink, a bed, or nothing.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

Hi Jess,

I had Pekins also. They didn't come in the house though. Much too messy for me. ;) Does yours? Thanks for sharing about the . When we move in a few years and get some land I am getting 2 again along with some other farm animals. This has always been my dream!

Tammy

In a message dated 7/29/2008 1:03:05 P.M. Central Daylight Time, jessie3641 writes:

Hi Tammy,Yes, they do make great pets, I love mine :) She's a Pekin who was dumped at a pond, rescued, then we adopted her. We try to spoil her as much as possible :)What kind of ducks did you have? Did they come in the house? And have you been a member of either of the for pet duck and goose owners?Jess

Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.

Guest guest

Tammy,

Yes, mine comes in the house. She wears a diaper harness that can be

bought at www.thegoosesmother.com Otherwise, I agree with you, it

would be way too messy! But they make great house pets. Mine sits on

my lap and sleeps with me sometimes :) When you get ducks again,

please consider adopting - there are so many that need homes. Just

ask on the forum petducksrus or petduckassociation. That sounds

great to have ducks and farm animals; I'd like to have a waterfowl

rescue someday.

Jess

, tammyco5 wrote:

>

>

> Hi Jess,

> I had Pekins also. They didn't come in the house though. Much too

messy for

> me. ;) Does yours? Thanks for sharing about the . When

we move in

> a few years and get some land I am getting 2 again along with some

other farm

> animals. This has always been my dream!

>

> Tammy

>

> In a message dated 7/29/2008 1:03:05 P.M. Central Daylight Time,

> jessie3641 writes:

>

>

>

>

> Hi Tammy,

>

> Yes, they do make great pets, I love mine :) She's a Pekin who was

> dumped at a pond, rescued, then we adopted her. We try to spoil

her

> as much as possible :)

>

> What kind of ducks did you have? Did they come in the house? And

have

> you been a member of either of the groups for pet duck and

> goose owners?

>

> Jess

>

>

>

>

>

**************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your

budget?

> Read reviews on AOL Autos.

> (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?

ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

>