IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

What do you think about pets as therapy?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

LOL - sorry about that - I had been away for a long weekend and was dashing through my emails - obviously too quickly :-)

I agree with you - pet is a nice term - and changing it wouldn't change a relationship.

Jo

-

Faith

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:20 AM

Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?

> I think if a pet needs therapy then it would help. Hopefully the> therapist would also help the person who has the pet to be able to> make the pet happy.Giggle. I thought you were just making a joke, then I saw your otherpost. I actually call my husband and closer friends "my pet" at times. I'dnever thought of it as an inherently bad term. I certainly recognizethat some (most?) people that keep animals do so poorly withoutconsidering the feelings and emotional needs of those animals, butthis can be said of any relationship in which humans engage. Not allparents are good to their children, or spouses or friends to eachother. I don't think this abuse within a relationship has a bearingon what the relationship is called, or that changing the name of therelationship would change the dynamic of that relationship. Hm, howmany times can I say "relationship" in one paragraph? Too much classtoday, no brain power left for being articulate at home.Have a lovely evening.~Faith

Guest guest

In a message dated 7/20/2008 11:42:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, Dragonheart_Kitty writes:

> I know a lot of us vegans do not approve of the term or idea of pets, prefering companions, but what do you think about animal therapy for depression treatment? Peter vv> >

HUH??? A pet is a companion and most are very good ones. I see nothing wrong with calling a pet a pet. What's the big deal?

TammyGet fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

Guest guest

LOL - I agree.

Jo

-

tammyco5

Friday, July 25, 2008 10:13 AM

In a message dated 7/20/2008 11:42:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, Dragonheart_Kitty (AT) hotmail (DOT) com writes:

> I know a lot of us vegans do not approve of the term or idea of pets, prefering companions, but what do you think about animal therapy for depression treatment? Peter vv> >

HUH??? A pet is a companion and most are very good ones. I see nothing wrong with calling a pet a pet. What's the big deal?

Tammy

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

Guest guest

we call our's "our kids"...

they are only pets when we get mad at them

hahahahhahaha

seriously tho, a lot of folks have issues with the word pet, as it denotes a level of ownership and subservience

jo Jul 25, 2008 8:35 AM Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?

LOL - I agree.

Jo

-

tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com

In a message dated 7/20/2008 11:42:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, Dragonheart_Kitty (AT) hotmail (DOT) com writes:

Tammy

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

Mine are my furkids........freeloaders!

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 6:31:26 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

hahahahhahaha

seriously tho, a lot of folks have issues with the word pet, as it denotes a level of ownership and subservience

jo Jul 25, 2008 8:35 AM @gro ups.com Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?

LOL - I agree.

Jo

-

@gro ups.com

In a message dated 7/20/2008 11:42:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, Dragonheart_ Kitty (AT) hotmail (DOT) com writes:

Tammy

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

Hey Tammy,

Pay attention, you seem to have missed a few posts?

Some people associate the term pet, with ownership, as in "my pet" - i own it, it belongs to me type of ting....

Peter vv

"tammyco5" <tammyco5 Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 10:13:03 AMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

In a message dated 7/20/2008 11:42:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, Dragonheart_ Kitty (AT) hotmail (DOT) com writes:

Tammy

Guest guest

It really doesn't mean that over here. It means a much loved person.

Jo

-

fraggle

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:31 PM

hahahahhahaha

jo Jul 25, 2008 8:35 AM Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?

LOL - I agree.

Jo

-

Tammy

Guest guest

Hi Peter

You seem to have missed a few as well... it's been pointed out several times that that's not inherent in the etymology of the word, and that the same could be said of any relationship term: "wife", "husband", "son", "father"....

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Friday, July 25, 2008 7:55 PM

Hey Tammy,

Some people associate the term pet, with ownership, as in "my pet" - i own it, it belongs to me type of ting....

Peter vv

"tammyco5" <tammyco5 Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 10:13:03 AMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Tammy

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

I agree, but talking about the common man and woman here, the type that doesnt know what etymology means, or use it in conversation. The majority use of the term pet refers to animals not humans. Wheras wife,husband & son & father are all descriptions of human family members not animals, wheras pet could be used by some as slang to describe a human, but not the other way around.

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Saturday, 26 July, 2008 9:40:30 AMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Hi Peter

You seem to have missed a few as well... it's been pointed out several times that that's not inherent in the etymology of the word, and that the same could be said of any relationship term: "wife", "husband", "son", "father"....

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Hey Tammy,

Peter vv

"tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com" <tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com>@gro ups.comFriday, 25 July, 2008 10:13:03 AMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Tammy

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

I think that it maybe confined to certain regions in the uk, certainly not heard here in south wales. I would tend to agree with Frag on this one.

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 11:35:21 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Jo

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

hahahahhahaha

jo Jul 25, 2008 8:35 AM @gro ups.com Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?

LOL - I agree.

Jo

-

@gro ups.com

Tammy

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Funny thing is, I've most often heard it used to refer to humans by people speaking with Welsh accents...

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:01 PM

I think that it maybe confined to certain regions in the uk, certainly not heard here in south wales. I would tend to agree with Frag on this one.

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 11:35:21 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Jo

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

hahahahhahaha

LOL - I agree.

Jo

-

@gro ups.com

Tammy

Guest guest

That is odd, as I am Welsh! maybe they were emigrants! The part of the country I associate the most with that term is the Newcastle area.

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Saturday, 26 July, 2008 3:06:03 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Hi Peter

Funny thing is, I've most often heard it used to refer to humans by people speaking with Welsh accents...

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comFriday, 25 July, 2008 11:35:21 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Jo

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

hahahahhahaha

LOL - I agree.

Jo

-

@gro ups.com

Tammy

Guest guest

Long time haven't chated, nice to the ideas have remained fresh. Pulled up my first ganny potatoes, they made great fries. Love the comment about thinking of our kids as pets, when angry. Now at least I know i'm not alone. Waiting to see if gogi plant grows berries first year, if not they produced the most visualy stunning flowers I have seen in a long time ,that seem to open during the day and close at night. Life been hectic with training for Human Race, August 31. Namaste From: swpgh01Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:18:29 +0000Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?That is odd, as I am Welsh! maybe they were emigrants! The part of the country I associate the most with that term is the Newcastle area. Peter vvPeter <metalscarab > Sent: Saturday, 26 July, 2008 3:06:03 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy? Hi Peter Funny thing is, I've most often heard it used to refer to humans by people speaking with Welsh accents... BBPeter- Peter VV @gro ups.com Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:01 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?I think that it maybe confined to certain regions in the uk, certainly not heard here in south wales. I would tend to agree with Frag on this one. Peter vvjo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comFriday, 25 July, 2008 11:35:21 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy? It really doesn't mean that over here. It means a much loved person. Jo - fraggle @gro ups.com Friday, July 25, 2008 6:31 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?we call our's "our kids"...they are only pets when we get mad at themhahahahhahahaseriously tho, a lot of folks have issues with the word pet, as it denotes a level of ownership and subservience jo Jul 25, 2008 8:35 AM @gro ups.com Re: What do you think about pets as therapy? LOL - I agree. Jo - tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com @gro ups.com Friday, July 25, 2008 10:13 AMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?In a message dated 7/20/2008 11:42:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, Dragonheart_ Kitty (AT) hotmail (DOT) com writes:> I know a lot of us vegans do not approve of the term or idea of pets, prefering companions, but what do you think about animal therapy for depression treatment? Peter vv> > HUH??? A pet is a companion and most are very good ones. I see nothing wrong with calling a pet a pet. What's the big deal? TammyGet fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with . Get started.

Guest guest

In a message dated 7/26/2008 2:44:23 P.M. Central Standard Time, gayalondiel writes:

So hypothetically, you could comfortably use the term 'pet' if you were happy that animals didn't have an equivalent level of sentience with humans, and you did pay for an animal and keep it in your house and feed it out of your money, then there would be no logistical problem with calling it a 'pet', as it is in fact a creature that belongs to you?G

Okay...this is topic is getting really OUT THERE and I'm feeling like I'm in an animal rights fanatic group. Maybe I am? I just can't believe some people get offended because others call their pet a pet! I love my pets but I don't worship them. And yes, I do own them, not the other way around.

TammyGet fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

Guest guest

Well - I've hear you and Fraggle call your pets 'furkids'!

Jo

-

Peter VV

Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:59 PM

I agree, but talking about the common man and woman here, the type that doesnt know what etymology means, or use it in conversation. The majority use of the term pet refers to animals not humans. Wheras wife,husband & son & father are all descriptions of human family members not animals, wheras pet could be used by some as slang to describe a human, but not the other way around.

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Saturday, 26 July, 2008 9:40:30 AMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Hey Tammy,

Peter vv

"tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com" <tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com>@gro ups.comFriday, 25 July, 2008 10:13:03 AMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Tammy

Guest guest

I believe Lancashire, Manchester and counties around are the ones who use this most often. It also used to be used a lot in London and the south, but you don't here it so much down here nowadays. What terms of endearment do you use in Wales?

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 11:35:21 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Jo

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

hahahahhahaha

LOL - I agree.

Jo

-

@gro ups.com

Tammy

Guest guest

thyose welsh emigrants...always picking up nasty habits from you brits

:)

gotta say, pet in your sense, i've basically only heard on british television shows

different countries, different cultures...

gotta be a billion other words like that.....

Peter Jul 26, 2008 7:06 AM Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 11:35:21 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Jo

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

hahahahhahaha

LOL - I agree.

Jo

-

@gro ups.com

Tammy

Guest guest

So hypothetically, you could comfortably use the term 'pet' if you were happy that animals didn't have an equivalent level of sentience with humans, and you did pay for an animal and keep it in your house and feed it out of your money, then there would be no logistical problem with calling it a 'pet', as it is in fact a creature that belongs to you?

GOn Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Hey Tammy,

Some people associate the term pet, with ownership, as in " my pet " - i own it, it belongs to me type of ting....

Peter vv

" tammyco5 " <tammyco5

Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 10:13:03 AMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

> I know a lot of us vegans do not approve of the term or idea of pets, prefering companions, but what do you think about animal

therapy for depression treatment? Peter vv> >

Tammy

-- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson

Guest guest

thats cause they are not pets....:)

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Saturday, 26 July, 2008 7:01:23 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Well - I've hear you and Fraggle call your pets 'furkids'!

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:59 PM

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSaturday, 26 July, 2008 9:40:30 AMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Hey Tammy,

Peter vv

Tammy

Guest guest

Youve lost me now, sorry?, I`m not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Animals are not property.

Peter vv

Gayalondiel <gayalondiel Sent: Saturday, 26 July, 2008 9:42:11 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

So hypothetically, you could comfortably use the term 'pet' if you were happy that animals didn't have an equivalent level of sentience with humans, and you did pay for an animal and keep it in your house and feed it out of your money, then there would be no logistical problem with calling it a 'pet', as it is in fact a creature that belongs to you?G

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Hey Tammy,

Peter vv

"tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com" <tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com>@gro ups.com

Friday, 25 July, 2008 10:13:03 AMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Tammy

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at -- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson@ gmail.com

Guest guest

Well, if you don't ascribe a level of consciousness to animals that you do to humans, and you pay for the animal (or you pick it up from the rescue centre, whatever), and you pay for it's food and it's insurance and it's vet's bills and so on and so forth, then to a degree it is property, because you choose it but it didn't choose you.

My point here is that I do't ascribe that level of sentience to animals, that's not why I became vegan, I'm sick of people assuming that that's what I do believe and there seems to be a blanket view that if you don't eat animal products then you must believe thatanimals have human-level sentience. I'm asking at what point it becomes ok for me to say yeah, it's a pet.

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Peter vv

Gayalondiel <gayalondiel

Sent: Saturday, 26 July, 2008 9:42:11 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

So hypothetically, you could comfortably use the term 'pet' if you were happy that animals didn't have an equivalent level of sentience with humans, and you did pay for an animal and keep it in your house and feed it out of your money, then there would be no logistical problem with calling it a 'pet', as it is in fact a creature that belongs to you?

G

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Hey Tammy,

Some people associate the term pet, with ownership, as in " my pet " - i own it, it belongs to me type of ting....

Peter vv

" tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com " <tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com>

@gro ups.com

> I know a lot of us vegans do not approve of the term or idea of pets, prefering companions, but what do you think about animal

therapy for depression treatment? Peter vv> >

Tammy

-- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson@ gmail.com

-- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson

Guest guest

hmmm...

no offense, but taking your statement "you pay for food, insurance" et al, wouldn't that also stand for any human children ya had, or your parents, or anyone you care about or...

you get the picture...

fer my point o view..i don't have to anthropomorphise...animals have their own "being"...they have awareness all their own...just cuz it may be different then lil ol humans doesn't make it any less valid....

to go back, sorry, the word pet conveys ownership and property...my kids are not slaves.....and, if wee go that root, heck, they own me much more then....

:)

Gayalondiel Jul 26, 2008 2:24 PM Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Well, if you don't ascribe a level of consciousness to animals that you do to humans, and you pay for the animal (or you pick it up from the rescue centre, whatever), and you pay for it's food and it's insurance and it's vet's bills and so on and so forth, then to a degree it is property, because you choose it but it didn't choose you.My point here is that I do't ascribe that level of sentience to animals, that's not why I became vegan, I'm sick of people assuming that that's what I do believe and there seems to be a blanket view that if you don't eat animal products then you must believe thatanimals have human-level sentience. I'm asking at what point it becomes ok for me to say yeah, it's a pet.

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter vv

Gayalondiel <gayalondiel (AT) livejournal (DOT) com>

Saturday, 26 July, 2008 9:42:11 PMRe: What do you think about pets as therapy?

Hey Tammy,

Peter vv

"tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com" <tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com>@gro ups.com

Tammy

-- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson@ gmail.com

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at -- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson

Guest guest

sorry...everyone is different tammy....everyone views things differently...takes things differently, etc and so forth....certainly helps the world go round

sorry, fer me, i don't own my companions, kids, wotever you want to call them....

tammyco5 Jul 26, 2008 2:18 PM Re: What do you think about pets as therapy?

In a message dated 7/26/2008 2:44:23 P.M. Central Standard Time, gayalondiel (AT) livejournal (DOT) com writes:

Okay...this is topic is getting really OUT THERE and I'm feeling like I'm in an animal rights fanatic group. Maybe I am? I just can't believe some people get offended because others call their pet a pet! I love my pets but I don't worship them. And yes, I do own them, not the other way around.

Tammy

Guest guest

In a message dated 7/26/2008 4:16:15 P.M. Central Standard Time, EBbrewpunx writes:

sorry...everyone is different tammy....everyone views things differently...takes things differently, etc and so forth....certainly helps the world go round

sorry, fer me, i don't own my companions, kids, wotever you want to call them....

Yes, you're right about everyone views things differently but I am new to this group and I want to know if this kind of topic is the norm here or not. We all choose who we want to hang around or what groups we want to be in. I would not fit in here if this is the typical reaction to animal topics.

I for one know that my pets are probably happy that their owner is me! It's all in how they are TREATED, not labeled. People here could say they don't like the name pet but be treating their companion not so kindly either. I feel sad that your pet doesn't even have an owner. If someone came to your door and claimed your dog was hers, would you just give her your dog since she isn't owned by you? After all, you're just friends with your dog.

Guest guest

Personally I think anyone can use the term 'pet' - if others don't like it, it's their problem.

Jo

-

Gayalondiel

Saturday, July 26, 2008 9:42 PM

Hey Tammy,

Peter vv

"tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com" <tammyco5 (AT) aol (DOT) com>

Tammy

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at -- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson