IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Braggs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Maybe what people are doing right is having a good diet, and taking

supplements (as many millions of people do).

Jo

, " Oom Yaaqub " <oomyaaqub wrote:

>

> [[Of course, it's also worth remembering that average life-spans

are still

> rising, so we're obviously doing something right that they weren't

a few

> generations ago!]]

>

> It's important to understand, though, that " average life span "

doesn't

> necessarily translate into " people are living longer. " The main

factor in an

> increased AVERAGE life span is that CHILDREN are no longer dying in

large

> numbers, and that women are no longer dying in childbirth. That has

more to

> do with improved hygiene and medical advances than diet. A lot of

people are

> confused on this point. When they read that the average life span

in such

> and such country is 45, they assume everybody lives to 45 and then

drops

> dead, which isn't the case at all. There have always been people

who lived

> into their 80s and 90s, just as there are today.

>

Guest guest

I have visited a few register offices with Peter and it is true.

Overall people are now living longer.

Jo

, " Peter Kebbell " <metalscarab

wrote:

>

> While what you say is true, it's also the case that many many more

people

> are now living into their 80s and 90s. Just take a look at the ages

of

> people in the registers of death (at least in the UK), and you'll

see a very

> clear difference.

>

> BB

> Peter

>

> On 28/07/07, Oom Yaaqub <oomyaaqub wrote:

> >

> > [[Of course, it's also worth remembering that average life-spans

are still

> > rising, so we're obviously doing something right that they

weren't a few

> > generations ago!]]

> >

> > It's important to understand, though, that " average life span "

doesn't

> > necessarily translate into " people are living longer. " The main

factor in

> > an

> > increased AVERAGE life span is that CHILDREN are no longer dying

in large

> > numbers, and that women are no longer dying in childbirth. That

has more

> > to

> > do with improved hygiene and medical advances than diet. A lot of

people

> > are

> > confused on this point. When they read that the average life span

in such

> > and such country is 45, they assume everybody lives to 45 and

then drops

> > dead, which isn't the case at all. There have always been people

who lived

> > into their 80s and 90s, just as there are today.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

Guest guest

Oh, I don't think it's difficult. My Whole Foods and Wild Oats have

tofu, soymilk, tempeh, etc that are organic, and therefore non-gm. And

a lot of packaged food that contains soy ingredients can be found that

are organic, as well. Maybe it's difficult when shopping in a major

conventional supermarket, but even there they have some organic

choices.

Jolene

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork

wrote:

>

> I have come to the conclusion that it is fairly difficult to obtain

> non-gm soya in America.

>

> Luckily in England it is easy. If you can get Alpro soya milk you

> will find it to be as natural as you like, or you can buy varieties

> with the added vitamins that vegans are likely to need.

>

> Jo

>

Guest guest

This is true. However, there are may farms, which only sell fruits and veggies. I did find a few in my area. Unfortunately, I have to wait until the spring to sign up for their CSA buying program before I will be able to get anything.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"heartwerk" <jo.heartwork Subject: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 07:09:27 -0000

I hadn't really thought much about farming before. If we buy our

veggies from a farm that also raises animals for food, are we

contributing to the animal abuse?

Jo

Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Guest guest

Here is a good website for people in the US.http://www.localharvest.org/--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"heartwerk" <jo.heartwork Subject: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 07:10:42 -0000

We have farmers markets near where I live but none of them have

organic vegetables for sale :-( and most of the stalls are for meat,

cheese etc.

Jo

Guest guest

I read an article over the weekend, which claimed the average American (non-organic) farm, contains only 2% of the necessary nutrients in the soil. Nutrients includes good bacteria, etc.......... As a result the fruits and veggies are significantly less nutritious. All the chemicals and pesticides are killing the insects as well the good stuff in the soil.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"heartwerk" <jo.heartwork Subject: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 07:01:14 -0000

It is difficult to get local organic vegetables and fruit where I

live. Also when a farm turns organic it takes many years for the

soil to be built up to what soil should be, and therefore it takes a

few years for the food to contain all the nutrients you might expect

it to. Apparently organic food contains between 40% and 60% more

nutrients than non-organic.

JO

Guest guest

"I also worry about using wooden packing because of the

trees. "That is a good point. I did not think of that one. Although, many of us live in wooden houses. As we can see, these issues are much bigger than we are. Thus, we need to spread the word.............. :)--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.

Guest guest

I don't think I need it, and I do think it is a supplement. Despite what I write, I am not 100% against everything.... :) After all, the majority of food I have eaten throughout my life has been processed garbage in a box. I am just trying to adopt a raw vegan diet and weed out all unnecessary stuff. Thus, I am very skeptical of things, which are new to me; like I was with this diet before I started doing it.The only reason I am trying Braggs is because a few on this list recommended it. It tastes very good too. I tried it on a salad last night. Oh, on another salad I took some sea salt, and flax seed; and ground them in my coffee grinder (no, I don't drink coffee...lol). This was a fantastic salad topping.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"heartwerk" <jo.heartwork Subject: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 06:53:18 -0000If Braggs is just aminos, why do you think you need it, and why do you not consider it a supplement?Jo Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Guest guest

Not sure, I will see if I can find it.What are your thoughts on Silk?--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"heartwerk" <jo.heartwork Subject: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 06:37:29 -0000

I have come to the conclusion that it is fairly difficult to obtain

non-gm soya in America.

Luckily in England it is easy. If you can get Alpro soya milk you

will find it to be as natural as you like, or you can buy varieties

with the added vitamins that vegans are likely to need.

Jo

Guest guest

NON-GMO soy is available in the US as "organic". Same with corn. Most of the soy and corn in the US is GMO. In fact there was a fight to keep GMO out of the organic definition, so that we can purchase organic products knowing they are not GMO.

Also, there are numerous products that while not organic label their ingredients as NON-GMO.

Marcy

---- Original Message -----

heartwerk

Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:37 PM

Re: Braggs

I have come to the conclusion that it is fairly difficult to obtain non-gm soya in America.Luckily in England it is easy. If you can get Alpro soya milk you will find it to be as natural as you like, or you can buy varieties with the added vitamins that vegans are likely to need.Jo

Guest guest

yeah, just stick with organic....

also, for my part....try and get organic that has the California or oregon tilth symbol, as opposed to the USDA one...(better standards)

oh..hello again folks

Marcy Jul 30, 2007 8:56 AM Re: Re: Braggs

NON-GMO soy is available in the US as "organic". Same with corn. Most of the soy and corn in the US is GMO. In fact there was a fight to keep GMO out of the organic definition, so that we can purchase organic products knowing they are not GMO.

Also, there are numerous products that while not organic label their ingredients as NON-GMO.

Marcy

---- Original Message -----

heartwerk

Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:37 PM

Re: Braggs

I have come to the conclusion that it is fairly difficult to obtain non-gm soya in America.Luckily in England it is easy. If you can get Alpro soya milk you will find it to be as natural as you like, or you can buy varieties with the added vitamins that vegans are likely to need.Jo

When I see the price that you pay

I don't wanna grow up

I don't ever want to be that way

I don't wanna grow up

Seems that folks turn into things

that they never want

Guest guest

I just verified. Silk soy milk doesn't use GMO. Here is some info from their site.Why doesn't your packaging say GMO-Free or Non-GMO?

Until recently the terms Genetically Modified Organism (GMO), GMO-Free

and Non-GMO were used to help identify foods that contained genetically

altered ingredients. These terms are no longer recognized by the Food

and Drug Administration (FDA) and therefore cannot be used on food

packaging.

According to the National Organic Standards, products that are

certified organic by definition cannot contain genetically modified

ingredients. At Silk, we use only Non-GMO soybeans. Look for the

biotechnology statement on our packaging, under the list of

ingredients: "This soy milk is made from soybeans that were not

genetically engineered."--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunx Subject: Re: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 09:14:44 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

yeah, just stick with organic....

also, for my part....try and get organic that has the California or oregon tilth symbol, as opposed to the USDA one...(better standards)

oh..hello again folks

Guest guest

Hi Scott

Quick clarification question - are you talking about the fabric made from material from silk worms, or is this a brand name for something else? I ask because I seem to remember coming across a brand of soya milk called Silk...

BB

Peter

-

Scott

Monday, July 30, 2007 4:51 PM

Re: Re: Braggs

Not sure, I will see if I can find it.What are your thoughts on Silk?--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"heartwerk" <jo.heartwork Subject: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 06:37:29 -0000

Guest guest

It's a shame you have to wait until spring - should be good then though.

Jo

-

Scott

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:27 PM

This is true. However, there are may farms, which only sell fruits and veggies. I did find a few in my area. Unfortunately, I have to wait until the spring to sign up for their CSA buying program before I will be able to get anything.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"heartwerk" <jo.heartwork Subject: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 07:09:27 -0000

I hadn't really thought much about farming before. If we buy our veggies from a farm that also raises animals for food, are we contributing to the animal abuse?Jo

Guest guest

I do think it wise to eat organic fruit and veggies where possible.

Jo

-

Scott

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:34 PM

I read an article over the weekend, which claimed the average American (non-organic) farm, contains only 2% of the necessary nutrients in the soil. Nutrients includes good bacteria, etc.......... As a result the fruits and veggies are significantly less nutritious. All the chemicals and pesticides are killing the insects as well the good stuff in the soil.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"heartwerk" <jo.heartwork Subject: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 07:01:14 -0000

It is difficult to get local organic vegetables and fruit where I live. Also when a farm turns organic it takes many years for the soil to be built up to what soil should be, and therefore it takes a few years for the food to contain all the nutrients you might expect it to. Apparently organic food contains between 40% and 60% more nutrients than non-organic. JO

Guest guest

Hi Scott

As you say - there are many issues. It seems almost impossible to do everything right, but at least we do some good. The reason I was aware of the wooden tray issue was because it happened to me. I cannot eat normal wheat all the time. A branch of a French baker near me makes their bread with spelt flour, which I am okay with. I bought my bread there for a few years and then all of a sudden they changed to presenting it in wooden trays! Luckily my husband likes cooking and he makes spelt bread for me now.

Jo

-

Scott

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:39 PM

"I also worry about using wooden packing because of the trees. "That is a good point. I did not think of that one. Although, many of us live in wooden houses. As we can see, these issues are much bigger than we are. Thus, we need to spread the word.............. :)--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.

Guest guest

Hi Scott

I don't think we get Braggs here, but I have heard it mentioned several times. I think all of us on here have eaten the wrong diet most of our lives. It would be good to be vegan from birth - but you cannot undo what has already happened....

I have to be careful with salt, but I like powdered flax seed mixed in my muesli, or sometimes in porridge.

Jo

-

Scott

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:49 PM

I don't think I need it, and I do think it is a supplement. Despite what I write, I am not 100% against everything.... :) After all, the majority of food I have eaten throughout my life has been processed garbage in a box. I am just trying to adopt a raw vegan diet and weed out all unnecessary stuff. Thus, I am very skeptical of things, which are new to me; like I was with this diet before I started doing it.The only reason I am trying Braggs is because a few on this list recommended it. It tastes very good too. I tried it on a salad last night. Oh, on another salad I took some sea salt, and flax seed; and ground them in my coffee grinder (no, I don't drink coffee...lol). This was a fantastic salad topping.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"heartwerk" <jo.heartwork Subject: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 06:53:18 -0000

If Braggs is just aminos, why do you think you need it, and why do you not consider it a supplement?Jo

Guest guest

Hi Scott

I don't know about Silk. I don't think we get it over here. Is it a soya milk?

Jo

-

Scott

Monday, July 30, 2007 4:51 PM

Guest guest

HI Marcy

I think things have improved since I last heard, which is good.

Jo

-

Marcy

Monday, July 30, 2007 4:56 PM

Marcy

Guest guest

Yes.I did verify, and they are non-GMO.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"jo" <jo.heartworkRe: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 19:55:19 +0100Hi Scott I don't know about Silk. I don't think we get it over here. Is it a soya milk? Jo Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Guest guest

Yes, but sometimes it is very difficult. Sometimes when I travel it is tough to find places that sell organic produce.I have a trip coming up with my wife's family, who have terrible eating habits. I will have to make some fruit leather, and pack some of my own food to bring. The good thing is that my wife doesn't eat what they eat, and she supports me. However, I may have to live on bananas for a week........lol--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"jo" <jo.heartworkRe: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 19:48:55 +0100I do think it wise to eat organic fruit and veggies where possible. Jo Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Guest guest

Yes, but they do have a local market, which is only 8 miles from where I work. I will probably go there later in the week to get some stuff.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"jo" <jo.heartworkRe: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 19:47:57 +0100It's a shame you have to wait until spring - should be good then though. Jo Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Guest guest

Flax in porridge, now that sounds like a great idea. I will have to try that in my Irish oatmeal. I have been eating Irish oatmeal once, or twice a week for breakfast. It is very healthy, tastes great cold (uncooked), and is easy to make. I just soak it in water over night, and it is ready by morning. I love it with raisins and honey....... :)--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- jo.heartwork wrote:"jo" <jo.heartworkRe: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 19:54:11 +0100Hi Scott I don't think we get Braggs here, but I have heard it mentioned several times. I think all of us on here have eaten the wrong diet most of our lives. It would be good to be vegan from birth - but you cannot undo what has already happened.... I have to be careful with salt, but I like powdered flax seed mixed in my muesli, or sometimes in porridge. Jo Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Guest guest

LOL.........sorry...... It is a brand of Soy Milk. It is delicious too...... Here is their website: http://silksoymilk.com/--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- metalscarab wrote:"metalscarab" <metalscarabRe: Re: BraggsMon, 30 Jul 2007 19:31:32 +0100Hi Scott Quick clarification question - are you talking about the fabric made from material from silk worms, or is this a brand name for something else? I ask because I seem to remember coming across a brand of soya milk called Silk... BBPeter Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Guest guest

This is also an interesting issue - using wooden packing crates,

trays, etc, vs - what? plastic? some other material? My first instinct

is to say that I'd rather have the produce presented in wood (as

opposed to something like plastic) because at least it's a natural

material. And I know I'm not a " good vegan " for saying this, but I'd

rather wear a wool sweater than something synthetic because, again, it

is a natural fiber (yes, I know there are cotton sweaters out there,

but go with me on this for a minute...) This issue is where I seem to

differ with some vegetarians and vegans, because from my perspective,

I'd rather not use petro-chemicals. I believe there is a way of

sustainably using natural resources, and if I can live my life doing

that, then that's the goal I strive for.

Jolene

" I also worry about using wooden packing because of the

trees. "

That is a good point. I did not think of that one. Although, many of

us live in wooden houses. As we can see, these issues are much bigger

than we are. Thus, we need to spread the word.............. :)

--

Scott

Don't under estimate the wisdom of nature.