IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Braggs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

There are probably economic factors involved also.Quality of life has increased, and with it the easy availability of foods once considered "luxury". The Valley Vegan...........metalscarab <metalscarab wrote: Hi JoOf course, it's also worth remembering that average life-spans are stillrising, so we're obviously doing something right that they weren't a fewgenerations ago!BBPeter-"heartwerk" <jo.heartwork >Friday, July 27, 2007 7:44 AM Re: Braggs> Which was my point also, and all such comments are slightly> irrelevant. The argument that people used to live live ~something~> could be said of anything - doesn't mean it is best though.>> Jo>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Good point about B12, not enough in beer to get by,and I havent eaten dirt in ages, so I have to use fortified margarine & soya milk. The Vally Vegan..........metalscarab <metalscarab wrote:  Hi Scott I'm not entirely sure I follow your logic - all food we eat is processed, unless we grow it ourselves. What do you think would be in a supplement that would cause disease? I agree we should be careful about what we consume, but paranoia about supplements is simply going to play straight into the hands of the pharmaceutical companies who want to have them removed from public sale, so that they can control the supply and make more money from them. As a matter of interest - how would you suggest getting vitamin B12 without a supplement, or a food which has been fortified (i.e. processed)? BB Peter -----

Original Message ----- Scott Thursday, July 26, 2007 10:20 PM Re: Re: Braggs The fact of the matter is that you don't know if the supplements will contribute to , or cause diseases. At least until someone does a study. Supplements are all processed. I don't believe they are 100% safe to take.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- metalscarab wrote:

"metalscarab" <metalscarab >Re: Re: BraggsThu, 26 Jul 2007 21:48:50 +0100  Hi Scott While I don't know which way the results would come out, it is quite easy to see whether people who are dead would have been better off with supplements by the use of some simple tests on their bodies to investigate vitamin and mineral deficiencies. If there are deficiencies, then it could reasonably be argued that those deficiencies could have been countered with the use of supplements, and their lives extended or improved. So, not really an "impossible task", and I suspect someone

somewhere has done just this research - although I can't be bothered to search for it myself. BB Peter Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com Peter H

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

it now.

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Indeed, there are many aspects of life that have improved - general hygiene of living conditions for one.

My main point was really that saying "people lived without x before" is largely an unhelpful comment, since people didn't live as long or as healthily, so as an argument that something is unhelpful to life it's rather flawed.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Friday, July 27, 2007 12:07 PM

Re: Re: Braggs

There are probably economic factors involved also.Quality of life has increased, and with it the easy availability of foods once considered "luxury".

The Valley Vegan...........metalscarab <metalscarab wrote:

Hi JoOf course, it's also worth remembering that average life-spans are stillrising, so we're obviously doing something right that they weren't a fewgenerations ago!BBPeter-"heartwerk" <jo.heartwork >Friday, July 27, 2007 7:44 AM Re: Braggs> Which was my point also, and all such comments are slightly> irrelevant. The argument that people used to live live ~something~> could be said of anything - doesn't mean it is best though.>> Jo>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Yes - I believe the life expectancy for men in 1900 was 45, and for

women 48! Now it is somewhere near 78 I believe.

BB

Jo

, " metalscarab " <metalscarab

wrote:

>

> Hi Jo

>

> Of course, it's also worth remembering that average life-spans are

still

> rising, so we're obviously doing something right that they weren't

a few

> generations ago!

>

> BB

> Peter

>

> -

> " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork

>

> Friday, July 27, 2007 7:44 AM

> Re: Braggs

>

>

> > Which was my point also, and all such comments are slightly

> > irrelevant. The argument that people used to live live

~something~

> > could be said of anything - doesn't mean it is best though.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

Guest guest

What luxury foods are you thinking of?

Most people had fresh vegetables and some fruit available. The food

they couldn't afford, unless they were good hunters, was meat.

The latest thinking in the 'natural food' circles is that it is best

to eat food grown in your immediate area, because it has the exact

nutrients you will need. (Incidentally, I don't entirely agree with

this). People in the past would have been doing exactly that.

Jo

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> There are probably economic factors involved also.Quality of life

has increased, and with it the easy availability of foods once

considered " luxury " .

>

> The Valley Vegan...........

>

> metalscarab <metalscarab wrote:

> Hi Jo

>

still

a few

> generations ago!

>

> BB

> Peter

>

> -

>

>

> > irrelevant. The argument that people used to live live ~something~

> >

> > Jo

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Hello Peter

Thanks for saying, in such an easily understood way, what I had been

trying to say.

BB

Jo

wrote:

>

> Hi Peter

>

> Indeed, there are many aspects of life that have improved - general

hygiene of living conditions for one.

>

> My main point was really that saying " people lived without x

before " is largely an unhelpful comment, since people didn't live as

long or as healthily, so as an argument that something is unhelpful

to life it's rather flawed.

>

> BB

> Peter

> -

> Peter VV

>

> Friday, July 27, 2007 12:07 PM

> Re: Re: Braggs

>

>

> There are probably economic factors involved also.Quality of

life has increased, and with it the easy availability of foods once

considered " luxury " .

>

>

> Hi Jo

>

> Of course, it's also worth remembering that average life-spans

are still

> rising, so we're obviously doing something right that they

weren't a few

> generations ago!

>

> BB

> Peter

>

> -

>

>

> > irrelevant. The argument that people used to live live

~something~

> >

> > Jo

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

I'm not sure I follow your logic..........lol :)You mean you don't make your own soy milk from beans purchased from local farmers. I realize commercial soy milk is processed, but how are the fruits, soy beans, and veggies I buy from local farmersprocessed?--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- metalscarab wrote:"metalscarab" <metalscarabRe: Re: BraggsFri, 27 Jul 2007 10:43:06 +0100Hi Scott I'm not entirely sure I follow your logic - all food we eat is processed, unless we grow it ourselves. What do you think would be in a supplement that would cause disease? I agree we should be careful about what we consume, but paranoia about supplements is simply going to play straight into the hands of the pharmaceutical companies who want to have them removed from public sale, so that they can control the supply and make more money from them. As a matter of interest - how would you suggest getting vitamin B12 without a supplement, or a food which has been fortified (i.e. processed)? BBPeter Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Guest guest

Citrus fruit, bananas ( or even every day fruit normally available ), things like scurvy and reickets etc used to be rife..I suppose it depends how far back you want to go. The Valley Vegan.............heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: What luxury foods are you thinking of?Most people had fresh vegetables and some fruit available. The food they couldn't afford, unless they were good hunters, was meat.The latest thinking in the 'natural food' circles is that

it is best to eat food grown in your immediate area, because it has the exact nutrients you will need. (Incidentally, I don't entirely agree with this). People in the past would have been doing exactly that.Jo , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> There are probably economic factors involved also.Quality of life has increased, and with it the easy availability of foods once considered "luxury".> > The Valley Vegan...........> > metalscarab <metalscarab wrote: > Hi Jo> > Of course, it's also worth remembering that average life-spans are still> rising, so we're obviously doing something right that they weren't a few> generations ago!> > BB> Peter> > -> "heartwerk"

<jo.heartwork> > Friday, July 27, 2007 7:44 AM> Re: Braggs> > > Which was my point also, and all such comments are slightly> > irrelevant. The argument that people used to live live ~something~> > could be said of anything - doesn't mean it is best though.> >> > Jo> >> >> >> > To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

Maybe I wasnt making myself clear. What I am trying to say is that these days where we have a better quality of life, and an abundance of fresh foodstuffs more readily available than ever, that there is no excuse not to eat healthily and not need suppliments.I used to work with one carnie who took lots of pills each day and said that he never eat veg, but got his greens from a pill...........what a idiot! The Valley Vegan...........metalscarab <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter Indeed, there are many aspects of life that have improved - general hygiene of living conditions for one. My main point was really that saying "people lived without x before" is largely an unhelpful comment, since people didn't live as long or as healthily, so as an argument that something is unhelpful to life it's rather flawed. BB Peter - Peter VV Friday, July 27, 2007 12:07 PM Re: Re: Braggs There are probably economic factors involved also.Quality of life has increased, and with it the easy availability of foods once considered "luxury". The Valley Vegan...........metalscarab <metalscarab > wrote: Hi JoOf course, it's also worth remembering that average life-spans are stillrising, so we're obviously doing something right that they weren't a fewgenerations

ago!BBPeter-"heartwerk" <jo.heartwork >Friday, July 27, 2007 7:44 AM Re: Braggs> Which was my point also, and all such comments are slightly> irrelevant. The argument that people used to live live ~something~> could be said of anything - doesn't mean it is best though.>> Jo>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Hi Scott

I don't know - I don't know your local farmers. What pesticides do they use? What fertiliser? Do they leave their fields to lie fallow every 3 years? How do they package their products? Where does the packaging come from? etc. etc.

And do you really manage to purchase all of your food products from your local farmers? If you do, then you're a heck of a lot luckier than most of us!

BB

Peter

-

Scott

Friday, July 27, 2007 3:06 PM

I'm not sure I follow your logic..........lol :)You mean you don't make your own soy milk from beans purchased from local farmers. I realize commercial soy milk is processed, but how are the fruits, soy beans, and veggies I buy from local farmersprocessed?--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- metalscarab wrote:"metalscarab" <metalscarabRe: Re: BraggsFri, 27 Jul 2007 10:43:06 +0100

Hi Scott

I'm not entirely sure I follow your logic - all food we eat is processed, unless we grow it ourselves.

What do you think would be in a supplement that would cause disease?

I agree we should be careful about what we consume, but paranoia about supplements is simply going to play straight into the hands of the pharmaceutical companies who want to have them removed from public sale, so that they can control the supply and make more money from them.

As a matter of interest - how would you suggest getting vitamin B12 without a supplement, or a food which has been fortified (i.e. processed)?

BB

Peter

Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Guest guest

They don't use any pesticides, herbicides or chemicals. They use cow, horse, lama, other animal and plant waste forfertilizer. I think they actually leave their fields to lie fallow every two years. They use wooden bushel baskets to packagethe food. I'm not sure where they come from. I get about 90-95% of my food from local organic farmers.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- metalscarab wrote:"metalscarab" <metalscarab"Vegan Chat" Re: Re: BraggsFri, 27 Jul 2007 21:31:25 +0100Hi Scott I don't know - I don't know your local farmers. What pesticides do they use? What fertiliser? Do they leave their fields to lie fallow every 3 years? How do they package their products? Where does the packaging come from? etc. etc. And do you really manage to purchase all of your food products from your local farmers? If you do, then you're a heck of a lot luckier than most of us! BBPeter Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Guest guest

OK, OK......... I gave in and decided to get some Braggs Aminos.....lol :) I did a little research and it doesn't sound too bad.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- swpgh01 wrote:Peter VV <swpgh01 Subject: Re: Re: BraggsFri, 27 Jul 2007 20:28:44 +0100 (BST)

Maybe I wasnt making myself clear. What I am trying to say is that these days where we have a better quality of life, and an abundance of fresh foodstuffs more readily available than ever, that there is no excuse not to eat healthily and not need suppliments.I used to work with one carnie who took lots of pills each day and said that he never eat veg, but got his greens from a pill...........what a idiot! The Valley Vegan...........

Guest guest

I think variety makes a huge difference too.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- swpgh01 wrote:Peter VV <swpgh01 Subject: Re: Re: BraggsFri, 27 Jul 2007 20:19:17 +0100 (BST)

Citrus fruit, bananas ( or even every day fruit normally available ), things like scurvy and reickets etc used to be rife..I suppose it depends how far back you want to go. The Valley Vegan.............

Guest guest

Hi Scott

Well, you're darned lucky to live near enough a farm that seems genuinely concerned about the quality of food they produce. I'd be surprised if more than a handful of people in the Western world have the opportunity to get their food so "clean".

BB

Peter

-

Scott

Friday, July 27, 2007 11:36 PM

They don't use any pesticides, herbicides or chemicals. They use cow, horse, lama, other animal and plant waste forfertilizer. I think they actually leave their fields to lie fallow every two years. They use wooden bushel baskets to packagethe food. I'm not sure where they come from. I get about 90-95% of my food from local organic farmers.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- metalscarab wrote:"metalscarab" <metalscarab"Vegan Chat" Re: Re: BraggsFri, 27 Jul 2007 21:31:25 +0100

Hi Scott

I don't know - I don't know your local farmers. What pesticides do they use? What fertiliser? Do they leave their fields to lie fallow every 3 years? How do they package their products? Where does the packaging come from? etc. etc.

And do you really manage to purchase all of your food products from your local farmers? If you do, then you're a heck of a lot luckier than most of us!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter,

I would think that more than a handful of people in the Western

world would have acess to direct-from-farm organic produce. I can't

speak for the organic farmer's market that I visit on whether the

farmers that contribute let their fields lie fallow, but wouldn't

the fact that they are certified organic mean they are not using

synthetic or chemical fertilisers and pesticides? I also grow a lot

of my own food in the summer, so that's pretty " clean, " right? It

might take a bit of work, but this great food can be found.

Hmmm, let me back up. Having said all that, I'm realizing that a lot

of you might not being eating a primarily-raw diet, so perhaps most

of your food IS processed. In the summer, especially, when it is so

easy to get good local produce, I have little deisre for anything

else, and find myself hard-pressed to remember the last time I did

any significant shopping at a supermarket. My weekly menus basically

are born from what I find at the farmer's market each week, or

what's ripening in my own garden. Winters are usually a different

story, since I live in the northern US, and I would have to agree

with you - most of my food that time of year is processed in some

way. which is why I probably gravitate towards more whole-food

choices this time of year. Get it while you can!

Jolene

wrote:

>

> Hi Scott

>

> Well, you're darned lucky to live near enough a farm that seems

genuinely concerned about the quality of food they produce. I'd be

surprised if more than a handful of people in the Western world have

the opportunity to get their food so " clean " .

>

> BB

> Peter

> -

> Scott

>

> Friday, July 27, 2007 11:36 PM

>

>

> They don't use any pesticides, herbicides or chemicals. They

use cow, horse, lama, other animal and plant waste for

> fertilizer. I think they actually leave their fields to lie

fallow every two years. They use wooden bushel baskets to package

> the food. I'm not sure where they come from.

>

> I get about 90-95% of my food from local organic farmers.

>

> --

> Scott

> Don't under estimate the wisdom of nature.

>

> --- metalscarab wrote:

>

> " metalscarab " <metalscarab

> " Vegan Chat "

> Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:31:25 +0100

>

> 

>

> Hi Scott

>

> I don't know - I don't know your local farmers. What pesticides

do they use? What fertiliser? Do they leave their fields to lie

fallow every 3 years? How do they package their products? Where does

the packaging come from? etc. etc.

>

> And do you really manage to purchase all of your food products

from your local farmers? If you do, then you're a heck of a lot

luckier than most of us!

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

>

> -

-----------

> Learn about the power of raw foods at --->

http://www.rawfoods.com

>

Guest guest

Hi JolenePerhaps things are different in your neck of the woods - but where I live there are very few certified organic farms, and even fewer that sell direct to the public. I am fortunate in living near a whole load of shops that sell organic and / or local, but I can't buy direct from the farmers. I also don't think that there is any requirement in organic rules to let fields lie fallow. I'm also not so sure that I like the idea of what is in farm manure nowadays - all the rubbish they feed to animals (hence so many problems with phosphates in the water table). So, knowing exactly how everything is produced is very rare indeed.

BBPeterOn 28/07/07, jmaine37 <zuzu37 wrote:

Hi Peter,I would think that more than a handful of people in the Westernworld would have acess to direct-from-farm organic produce. I can'tspeak for the organic farmer's market that I visit on whether the

farmers that contribute let their fields lie fallow, but wouldn'tthe fact that they are certified organic mean they are not usingsynthetic or chemical fertilisers and pesticides? I also grow a lotof my own food in the summer, so that's pretty " clean, " right? It

might take a bit of work, but this great food can be found.Hmmm, let me back up. Having said all that, I'm realizing that a lotof you might not being eating a primarily-raw diet, so perhaps mostof your food IS processed. In the summer, especially, when it is so

easy to get good local produce, I have little deisre for anythingelse, and find myself hard-pressed to remember the last time I didany significant shopping at a supermarket. My weekly menus basicallyare born from what I find at the farmer's market each week, or

what's ripening in my own garden. Winters are usually a differentstory, since I live in the northern US, and I would have to agreewith you - most of my food that time of year is processed in someway. which is why I probably gravitate towards more whole-food

choices this time of year. Get it while you can!Jolene , " metalscarab " <metalscarab

wrote:>> Hi Scott>> Well, you're darned lucky to live near enough a farm that seemsgenuinely concerned about the quality of food they produce. I'd besurprised if more than a handful of people in the Western world have

the opportunity to get their food so " clean " .>> BB> Peter> -> Scott>

> Friday, July 27, 2007 11:36 PM> Re: Re: Braggs>>> They don't use any pesticides, herbicides or chemicals. Theyuse cow, horse, lama, other animal and plant waste for

> fertilizer. I think they actually leave their fields to liefallow every two years. They use wooden bushel baskets to package> the food. I'm not sure where they come from.>> I get about 90-95% of my food from local organic farmers.

>> --> Scott> Don't under estimate the wisdom of nature.>> --- metalscarab wrote:>> " metalscarab " <metalscarab> " Vegan Chat " <

>> Re: Re: Braggs> Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:31:25 +0100>> >> Hi Scott

>> I don't know - I don't know your local farmers. What pesticidesdo they use? What fertiliser? Do they leave their fields to liefallow every 3 years? How do they package their products? Where does

the packaging come from? etc. etc.>> And do you really manage to purchase all of your food productsfrom your local farmers? If you do, then you're a heck of a lotluckier than most of us!

>> BB> Peter>>>> > Learn about the power of raw foods at --->

http://www.rawfoods.com>To send an email to -

Guest guest

At the farm I deal with, the cows are strictly grass fed. They even rotate the animals, which are raised for food, in the fields. For example, when the cows are done eating the grass, the chickens come in, then the pigs, etc..... Then they leave the fields untouched to regrow the grass. Then the cycle starts over. The animals don't get any antibiotics, or hormones, or any other drugs. It is an organic farm.The grass fed cows is where most of the fertilizer comes from. Some comes from the pigs, etc....They will even allow you to take a tour of the farm if you wish.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.--- metalscarab wrote:"Peter Kebbell" <metalscarab Subject: Re: Re: BraggsSat, 28 Jul 2007 16:43:33 +0100

Hi JolenePerhaps things are different in your neck of the woods - but where I live there are very few certified organic farms, and even fewer that sell direct to the public. I am fortunate in living near a whole load of shops that sell organic and / or local, but I can't buy direct from the farmers. I also don't think that there is any requirement in organic rules to let fields lie fallow. I'm also not so sure that I like the idea of what is in farm manure nowadays - all the rubbish they feed to animals (hence so many problems with phosphates in the water table). So, knowing exactly how everything is produced is very rare indeed.

BBPeter

Guest guest

[[Of course, it's also worth remembering that average life-spans are still

rising, so we're obviously doing something right that they weren't a few

generations ago!]]

It's important to understand, though, that " average life span " doesn't

necessarily translate into " people are living longer. " The main factor in an

increased AVERAGE life span is that CHILDREN are no longer dying in large

numbers, and that women are no longer dying in childbirth. That has more to

do with improved hygiene and medical advances than diet. A lot of people are

confused on this point. When they read that the average life span in such

and such country is 45, they assume everybody lives to 45 and then drops

dead, which isn't the case at all. There have always been people who lived

into their 80s and 90s, just as there are today.

Guest guest

While what you say is true, it's also the case that many many more people are now living into their 80s and 90s. Just take a look at the ages of people in the registers of death (at least in the UK), and you'll see a very clear difference.

BBPeterOn 28/07/07, Oom Yaaqub <oomyaaqub wrote:

[[Of course, it's also worth remembering that average life-spans are stillrising, so we're obviously doing something right that they weren't a fewgenerations ago!]]It's important to understand, though, that " average life span " doesn't

necessarily translate into " people are living longer. " The main factor in anincreased AVERAGE life span is that CHILDREN are no longer dying in largenumbers, and that women are no longer dying in childbirth. That has more to

do with improved hygiene and medical advances than diet. A lot of people areconfused on this point. When they read that the average life span in suchand such country is 45, they assume everybody lives to 45 and then drops

dead, which isn't the case at all. There have always been people who livedinto their 80s and 90s, just as there are today.To send an email to

-

Guest guest

I have come to the conclusion that it is fairly difficult to obtain

non-gm soya in America.

Luckily in England it is easy. If you can get Alpro soya milk you

will find it to be as natural as you like, or you can buy varieties

with the added vitamins that vegans are likely to need.

Jo

Guest guest

I agree that is stupid. I think it is also unwise to close ones eyes

to the fact that our soils have been abused over the last century and

do not contain the nutrients they should. Therefore our food does

not contain nutrients in the amounts they should. Also, people vary

tremendously in what they need, and higher doses of nutrients than

can be obtained from food alone are helpful to many people to keep

them healthy.

Jo

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Maybe I wasnt making myself clear. What I am trying to say is that

these days where we have a better quality of life, and an abundance

of fresh foodstuffs more readily available than ever, that there is

no excuse not to eat healthily and not need suppliments.I used to

work with one carnie who took lots of pills each day and said that he

never eat veg, but got his greens from a pill...........what a idiot!

>

>

> Hi Peter

>

> Indeed, there are many aspects of life that have improved -

general hygiene of living conditions for one.

>

> My main point was really that saying " people lived without x

before " is largely an unhelpful comment, since people didn't live as

long or as healthily, so as an argument that something is unhelpful

to life it's rather flawed.

>

> BB

> Peter

> -

> Peter VV

>

> Friday, July 27, 2007 12:07 PM

>

>

> There are probably economic factors involved also.Quality of

life has increased, and with it the easy availability of foods once

considered " luxury " .

>

>

> Hi Jo

>

still

a few

> generations ago!

>

> BB

> Peter

>

> -

>

>

> > irrelevant. The argument that people used to live live ~something~

> >

> > Jo

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

If Braggs is just aminos, why do you think you need it, and why do you

not consider it a supplement?

Jo

Guest guest

It's a pity they don't use plant compost for fertiliser. If they grew

alfalfa in their fallow year and ploughed it in it would replenish the

earth nicely. I also worry about using wooden packing because of the

trees.

Jo

Guest guest

It is difficult to get local organic vegetables and fruit where I

live. Also when a farm turns organic it takes many years for the

soil to be built up to what soil should be, and therefore it takes a

few years for the food to contain all the nutrients you might expect

it to. Apparently organic food contains between 40% and 60% more

nutrients than non-organic.

JO

, " jmaine37 " <zuzu37 wrote:

>

> Hi Peter,

>

> I would think that more than a handful of people in the Western

> world would have acess to direct-from-farm organic produce. I can't

> speak for the organic farmer's market that I visit on whether the

> farmers that contribute let their fields lie fallow, but wouldn't

> the fact that they are certified organic mean they are not using

> synthetic or chemical fertilisers and pesticides? I also grow a lot

> of my own food in the summer, so that's pretty " clean, " right? It

> might take a bit of work, but this great food can be found.

>

> Hmmm, let me back up. Having said all that, I'm realizing that a

lot

> of you might not being eating a primarily-raw diet, so perhaps most

> of your food IS processed. In the summer, especially, when it is so

> easy to get good local produce, I have little deisre for anything

> else, and find myself hard-pressed to remember the last time I did

> any significant shopping at a supermarket. My weekly menus

basically

> are born from what I find at the farmer's market each week, or

> what's ripening in my own garden. Winters are usually a different

> story, since I live in the northern US, and I would have to agree

> with you - most of my food that time of year is processed in some

> way. which is why I probably gravitate towards more whole-food

> choices this time of year. Get it while you can!

>

> Jolene

>

>

>

>

>

> , " metalscarab " <metalscarab@>

> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Scott

> >

> > Well, you're darned lucky to live near enough a farm that seems

> genuinely concerned about the quality of food they produce. I'd be

> surprised if more than a handful of people in the Western world

have

> the opportunity to get their food so " clean " .

> >

> > BB

> > Peter

> > -

> > Scott

> >

> > Friday, July 27, 2007 11:36 PM

> > Re: Re: Braggs

> >

> >

> > They don't use any pesticides, herbicides or chemicals. They

> use cow, horse, lama, other animal and plant waste for

> > fertilizer. I think they actually leave their fields to lie

> fallow every two years. They use wooden bushel baskets to package

> > the food. I'm not sure where they come from.

> >

> > I get about 90-95% of my food from local organic farmers.

> >

> > --

> > Scott

> > Don't under estimate the wisdom of nature.

> >

> > --- metalscarab@ wrote:

> >

> > " metalscarab " <metalscarab@>

> > " Vegan Chat "

> > Re: Re: Braggs

> > Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:31:25 +0100

> >

> > 

> >

> > Hi Scott

> >

> > I don't know - I don't know your local farmers. What pesticides

> do they use? What fertiliser? Do they leave their fields to lie

> fallow every 3 years? How do they package their products? Where

does

> the packaging come from? etc. etc.

> >

> > And do you really manage to purchase all of your food products

> from your local farmers? If you do, then you're a heck of a lot

> luckier than most of us!

> >

> > BB

> > Peter

> >

> >

> >

> >

-

> -----------

> > Learn about the power of raw foods at --->

> http://www.rawfoods.com

> >

>

Guest guest

I hadn't really thought much about farming before. If we buy our

veggies from a farm that also raises animals for food, are we

contributing to the animal abuse?

Jo

At the farm I deal with, the cows are strictly grass fed. They even

rotate the animals, which are raised for food, in the fields. For

example, when the cows are done eating the grass, the chickens come

in, then the pigs, etc..... Then they leave the fields untouched to

regrow the grass. Then the cycle starts over. The animals don't get

any antibiotics, or hormones, or any other drugs. It is an organic

farm.

The grass fed cows is where most of the fertilizer comes from. Some

comes from the pigs, etc....

They will even allow you to take a tour of the farm if you wish.

--

Scott

Don't under estimate the wisdom of nature.