Thank you very much in advance,

Karla Williams

karfranw

GOD LOVES YOU & IS ALWAYS WITH YOU,

CAROLYN MALONE

TUPPERWARE CONSULTANT

www.my.tupperware.com/carolynmalone

Guest guest

Hi, Tina, Welcome to the list, though I'm kinda new here, too. I want to address your question about non-dense protein sources. Can you give me some examples of what you mean? -LynnTina <roma_rothko wrote: Hi radiant vegetarians,I'm another new non-vegetarian on the list. I've never liked meat very much and now I usually have meat or fish for lunch (I'm on step 3) and I feel that's

more than enough meat for me in a day.I've joined the group to get some ideas for vegetarian dinners and to learn how to count protein as a vegetarian. Do you also count the non-dense protein sources?It's great reading all those yummy recipes of yours... Can't wait to try them out.Tina

Guest guest

Hi Tina,

Welcome to the group, nice to have you here. You may wish to check out the

files section

where many veggy protein equivlents are layed out. What I found was that my

withdrawl

from animal proteins took place over about a year.

The most important thing to stay focused on is doing the Radiant Recovery

program. The

Radiant Recovery Program lasts a lifetime.

Peace,

Bob

, " Tina " <roma_rothko wrote:

>

> Hi radiant vegetarians,

>

> I'm another new non-vegetarian on the list.

>

> I've never liked meat very much and now I usually have meat or fish for

> lunch (I'm on step 3) and I feel that's more than enough meat for me in

> a day.

>

> I've joined the group to get some ideas for vegetarian dinners and to

> learn how to count protein as a vegetarian. Do you also count the non-

> dense protein sources?

>

> It's great reading all those yummy recipes of yours... Can't wait to

> try them out.

>

> Tina

>

Guest guest

Hi Lynn,

I mean things like yoghurt, grains... E.g. it says on my wholewheat

spaghetti that they have 12 grams of protein per 100 g of spaghetti.

Thanks,

Tina

, Lynn Kahl <newsong02000

wrote:

>

> Hi, Tina,

>

> Welcome to the list, though I'm kinda new here, too.

>

> I want to address your question about non-dense protein sources.

Can you give me some examples of what you mean?

>

> -Lynn

>

Guest guest

Hi Bob,

I checked out the files section, thanks! I will use it to complete my

own chart that I've made recently. I'm not so good with American

weight units (ounces, cups) so I'm recalculating that to 100 grams.

I'll see what my journal tells me about vegetarian food - I hope I

can shift in that direction but some people say it doesn't work for

them. I know the important thing is to do the programme. But given

that I've always loved veggies and never cared much for meat I hope I

can reduce the meat intake gradually.

Have a nice weekend,

Tina

, " Bob " <yogabob7 wrote:

>

> Hi Tina,

>

> Welcome to the group, nice to have you here. You may wish to check

out the files section

> where many veggy protein equivlents are layed out. What I found

was that my withdrawl

> from animal proteins took place over about a year.

>

> The most important thing to stay focused on is doing the Radiant

Recovery program. The

> Radiant Recovery Program lasts a lifetime.

>

> Peace,

>

> Bob

>

>

Guest guest

Hi, Tina, Don't make the same mistake I did and count the protein from milk, bread, etc. The program won't work right if you do. By the way, how did you find the files Bob mentioned? I am curious to look at it. -LynnTina <roma_rothko wrote: Hi Lynn,I mean things like yoghurt, grains... E.g. it says on my wholewheat spaghetti that they have 12 grams of protein per 100 g of spaghetti.Thanks,Tina---

In , Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:>> Hi, Tina,> > Welcome to the list, though I'm kinda new here, too.> > I want to address your question about non-dense protein sources. Can you give me some examples of what you mean?> > -Lynn>

Guest guest

Hi Lynn,I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein in breads, etc.  I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book.  How do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted?  Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat that...it clumps!)  I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of protein.  What secret protein sources do you all eat?!As you can see, I'm struggling with step 3...but I have started to see that adding protein, even if it's not yet quite enough, has helped with the cravings in between meals.  I guess I've been skipping out on protein by whole life!Any ideas you have would be appreciated,KristaOn Mar 11, 2007, at 7:37 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote:Hi, Tina, Don't make the same mistake I did and count the protein from milk, bread, etc.  The program won't work right if you do.  By the way, how did you find the files Bob mentioned?  I am curious to look at it. -LynnTina <roma_rothko > wrote:Hi Lynn,I mean things like yoghurt, grains... E.g. it says on my wholewheat spaghetti that they have 12 grams of protein per 100 g of spaghetti.Thanks,Tina , Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:>> Hi, Tina,> > Welcome to the list, though I'm kinda new here, too.> > I want to address your question about non-dense protein sources. Can you give me some examples of what you mean?> > -Lynn>

Guest guest

Lynn,

thanks for sharing your experience.

I was hoping I could count the protein in yogurt because I like it but

yes I know most people say that doesn't work for them.

You can find the files at the radiant vegetarians website, in the blue

box at the upper-left corner of the page... Click Files and there you

are.

Tina

, Lynn Kahl <newsong02000

wrote:

>

> Hi, Tina,

>

> Don't make the same mistake I did and count the protein from milk,

bread, etc. The program won't work right if you do. By the way, how

did you find the files Bob mentioned? I am curious to look at it.

>

Guest guest

Hi Krista,

I need 24 grams of protein per meal and I try to get that from a

variety of protein sources. I normally eat meat or fish once a day so

that makes it a lot easier. For dinner I often make a salad. Lately

I've been eating a mix of chopped green bell pepper, carrots,

buckwheat, beans, hard-boiled egg, sunflower seeds and french

dressing. For dessert I may have a handful of almonds or some cottage

cheese with fruit. That way I get a sufiicient amount of protein.

This is easier done at home but it may be more difficult at work. Do

you bring your own lunches to work or do you eat out?

What kind of shake are you using? You can get great shake ideas at

the breakfast list. I'm using a pure whey protein powder at the

moment. I mix it with 2 tbs oatmeal, oatmilk, frozen fruit, a dash of

cinnamon and a tsp of flax seed oil. Blend it with a stick blender...

delicious.

Hope this helps...

Smiles,

Tina

, Krista Diego

<diegofamily wrote:

>

> Hi Lynn,

>

> I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the

protein

> in breads, etc. I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of

> protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book.

How

> do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't

counted?

> Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat

> that...it clumps!) I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and

> add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams

of

> protein. What secret protein sources do you all eat?!

>

>

Guest guest

Hi, Krista, I can totally understand how it is difficult to get all the protein you need! I have felt the same way. What I have found is that for lunch and dinner, I have to eat a lot of food (more about that later) but with a vegetarian diet, I am not gaining any weight. Plus, I am almost never hungry between meals. For breakfast, I eat a grilled cheese sandwich (2 slices of cheese - 10 g) plus a protein drink of a scoop of protein powder (17 g), a teaspoon of decaf coffee substitute (called Kava made from some grain) mixed with some cold water. I like it better with oatmilk, but I can not afford to drink that regularly. To make the shake, I have a tall jar with a lid on it, and I put the protein powder and Kava in it with a little lukewarm water. I shake that up til it's smooth, then add the rest of the water. For lunch, I like to eat some kind of bean dish. This week it was a white bean dip with unsalted tortilla chips and carrot and celery sticks. To get the 24 g of protein I need, I have to eat about 1 1/4 c of the dip (which is alot), but I always manage to get it down! Last week, I made a black bean and rice salad, and I have to eat like 2 1/2 c of that, but I am getting used to that quantity of food. For supper this week, I have been eating homemade refried beans with brown rice and a wilted spinach salad. I like to eat that with some salsa or lime juice squeezed over everything. Sometimes, I like to eat omelettes (4 eggs). You can put some shredded cheese on that to up the protein. I eat that with a salad and 2 pieces of Ezekiel bread. I can not eat wheat or nuts - they make me sleepy and set me up for

cravings (bummer). Do you think you have been getting all the protein you need for breakfast? If not, try to focus on breakfast before moving on to Step 3. Too much too fast is a recipe for disaster - and this is the voice of experience speaking! Keep posting and let us know how you are doing on the program! -LynnKrista Diego <diegofamily wrote: Hi Lynn, I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein in breads, etc. I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book. How do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted? Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat that...it clumps!) I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of protein. What secret protein sources do you all eat?! As you can see, I'm struggling with step 3...but I have started to see that adding protein, even if it's not yet quite enough, has helped with the cravings in between meals. I guess I've been skipping out on protein by whole life! Any ideas you have would be

appreciated, Krista On Mar 11, 2007, at 7:37 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote: Hi, Tina, Don't make the same mistake I did and count the protein from milk, bread, etc. The program won't work right if you do. By the way, how did you find the files Bob mentioned? I am curious to look at it. -LynnTina <roma_rothko > wrote: Hi Lynn,I mean things like yoghurt, grains... E.g. it says on my wholewheat spaghetti that they have 12 grams of protein per 100 g of

spaghetti.Thanks,Tina , Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:>> Hi, Tina,> > Welcome to the list, though I'm kinda new here, too.> > I want to address your question about non-dense protein sources. Can you give me some examples of what you mean?> > -Lynn>

Guest guest

Hi Krista,

Using your lentil soup and brown rice lunch as a starting point, I would add to it (add to the LUNCH, not the soup!) a hardboiled egg and/or a cheese stick. Maybe some bean dip with wheat crackers on the side. Maybe some walnuts, or even a protein shake.

I'd also just add more soup. I guess it depends on the recipe, but a can of Progresso lentil soup (as an example) has 18 grams of protein in it (that's two cups of soup).

Hope this helps,

Sharon in CA

Krista Diego <diegofamily Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 5:39:37 AMRe: Re: hello

Hi Lynn,

I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein in breads, etc. I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book. How do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted? Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat that...it clumps!) I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of protein. What secret protein sources do you all eat?!

As you can see, I'm struggling with step 3...but I have started to see that adding protein, even if it's not yet quite enough, has helped with the cravings in between meals. I guess I've been skipping out on protein by whole life!

Any ideas you have would be appreciated,

Krista

Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

Guest guest

Or you can add more protein to the soup, such as with a handful of edamame.Sharon Wylie <swylie2002 wrote: Hi Krista, Using your lentil soup and brown rice lunch as a starting point, I would add to it (add to the LUNCH, not the soup!) a hardboiled egg and/or a cheese stick. Maybe some bean dip with wheat crackers on the side. Maybe some walnuts, or even a protein shake. I'd also just add more soup. I guess it depends on the recipe, but a can of Progresso lentil soup (as an example) has 18 grams of protein in it (that's two cups of soup). Hope this helps, Sharon in CA Krista Diego <diegofamily Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 5:39:37 AMSubject:

Re: Re: hello Hi Lynn, I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein in breads, etc. I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book. How do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted? Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat that...it clumps!) I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of protein. What secret protein sources do you all eat?! As you can see, I'm struggling with step 3...but I have started to see that adding protein, even if it's not yet quite enough, has helped with the cravings in between meals. I guess I've been skipping out on protein by whole

life! Any ideas you have would be appreciated, Krista . Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

TV dinner still cooling?Check out "Tonight's Picks" on TV.

Guest guest

Tina,Thanks for your help.  I will try some of your ideas.  I can't bring myself to eat the fish or meat however, so that is where your eating habits help with your protein amounts.  My 19 year old son was home from college recently and was helping me count protein grams.  He munched on his roast beef sandwich on a 10 p gram whole grain roll-up and felt very smug!  Getting protein for that meat lover is easy.I also am not working...so the kitchen is always calling me.  After my house sells and we move, I will have a job.  That should be better to plan meals by.  I've also never been one to drink my meals...always wanting to bite into something...but I will try your shake.  People seem to really like using them.Thanks,KristaOn Mar 12, 2007, at 6:07 PM, Tina wrote:Hi Krista,I need 24 grams of protein per meal and I try to get that from a variety of protein sources. I normally eat meat or fish once a day so that makes it a lot easier. For dinner I often make a salad. Lately I've been eating a mix of chopped green bell pepper, carrots, buckwheat, beans, hard-boiled egg, sunflower seeds and french dressing. For dessert I may have a handful of almonds or some cottage cheese with fruit. That way I get a sufiicient amount of protein. This is easier done at home but it may be more difficult at work. Do you bring your own lunches to work or do you eat out?What kind of shake are you using? You can get great shake ideas at the breakfast list. I'm using a pure whey protein powder at the moment. I mix it with 2 tbs oatmeal, oatmilk, frozen fruit, a dash of cinnamon and a tsp of flax seed oil. Blend it with a stick blender... delicious.Hope this helps...Smiles,Tina , Krista Diego <diegofamily wrote:>> Hi Lynn,> > I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein > in breads, etc. I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of > protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book. How > do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted? > Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat > that...it clumps!) I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and > add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of > protein. What secret protein sources do you all eat?!> >

Guest guest

Hi Sharon,I will try your suggestions.  I'm also trying to lose pounds as a part of YLD so I wasn't sure if I could add to my meals.  I"ll see if the pounds creep up when I eat more.  Life is such a balancing act!  I do see already that the reason why I gained in the first place was from eating almost no protein.  The ideas from this vegetarian group sure are a big help since everyone I live with are meat eaters.  You all have new ideas, or variations on ones I've heard before.Thanks...I feel like I'm on a roll now,KristaOn Mar 13, 2007, at 11:40 AM, Sharon Wylie wrote:Hi Krista, Using your lentil soup and brown rice lunch as a starting point, I would add to it (add to the LUNCH, not the soup!) a hardboiled egg and/or a cheese stick. Maybe some bean dip with wheat crackers on the side. Maybe some walnuts, or even a protein shake. I'd also just add more soup. I guess it depends on the recipe, but a can of Progresso lentil soup (as an example) has 18 grams of protein in it (that's two cups of soup). Hope this helps,Sharon in CA Krista Diego <diegofamily (AT) mac (DOT) com> Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 5:39:37 AMRe: Re: helloHi Lynn,I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein in breads, etc.  I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book.  How do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted?  Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat that...it clumps!)  I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of protein.  What secret protein sources do you all eat?!As you can see, I'm struggling with step 3...but I have started to see that adding protein, even if it's not yet quite enough, has helped with the cravings in between meals.  I guess I've been skipping out on protein by whole life!Any ideas you have would be appreciated,Krista. Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

Guest guest

Thanks Gail,I'll ask at the health food store what edamame is!  I love to try these new suggestions.  Keeps me headed in the right direction.KristaOn Mar 13, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Gail Shapiro wrote:Or you can add more protein to the soup, such as with a handful of edamame.Sharon Wylie <swylie2002 > wrote:Hi Krista, Using your lentil soup and brown rice lunch as a starting point, I would add to it (add to the LUNCH, not the soup!) a hardboiled egg and/or a cheese stick. Maybe some bean dip with wheat crackers on the side. Maybe some walnuts, or even a protein shake. I'd also just add more soup. I guess it depends on the recipe, but a can of Progresso lentil soup (as an example) has 18 grams of protein in it (that's two cups of soup). Hope this helps,Sharon in CA Krista Diego <diegofamily (AT) mac (DOT) com> Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 5:39:37 AMRe: Re: helloHi Lynn,I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein in breads, etc.  I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book.  How do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted?  Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat that...it clumps!)  I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of protein.  What secret protein sources do you all eat?!As you can see, I'm struggling with step 3...but I have started to see that adding protein, even if it's not yet quite enough, has helped with the cravings in between meals.  I guess I've been skipping out on protein by whole life!Any ideas you have would be appreciated,Krista. Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.TV dinner still cooling?Check out "Tonight's Picks" on TV.

Guest guest

Actually, there are LOTS of way to get dense protein without meat <smile>kathleenOn Mar 13, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Krista Diego wrote: Tina,Thanks for your help.  I will try some of your ideas.  I can't bring myself to eat the fish or meat however, so that is where your eating habits help with your protein amounts.  My 19 year old son was home from college recently and was helping me count protein grams.  He munched on his roast beef sandwich on a 10 p gram whole grain roll-up and felt very smug!  Getting protein for that meat lover is easy.I also am not working...so the kitchen is always calling me.  After my house sells and we move, I will have a job.  That should be better to plan meals by.  I've also never been one to drink my meals...always wanting to bite into something...but I will try your shake.  People seem to really like using them.Thanks,KristaOn Mar 12, 2007, at 6:07 PM, Tina wrote:Hi Krista,I need 24 grams of protein per meal and I try to get that from a variety of protein sources. I normally eat meat or fish once a day so that makes it a lot easier. For dinner I often make a salad. Lately I've been eating a mix of chopped green bell pepper, carrots, buckwheat, beans, hard-boiled egg, sunflower seeds and french dressing. For dessert I may have a handful of almonds or some cottage cheese with fruit. That way I get a sufiicient amount of protein. This is easier done at home but it may be more difficult at work. Do you bring your own lunches to work or do you eat out?What kind of shake are you using? You can get great shake ideas at the breakfast list. I'm using a pure whey protein powder at the moment. I mix it with 2 tbs oatmeal, oatmilk, frozen fruit, a dash of cinnamon and a tsp of flax seed oil. Blend it with a stick blender... delicious.Hope this helps...Smiles,Tina , Krista Diego <diegofamily wrote:>> Hi Lynn,> > I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein > in breads, etc. I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of > protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book. How > do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted? > Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat > that...it clumps!) I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and > add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of > protein. What secret protein sources do you all eat?!> > Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D.This is Grace Unfolding, we are not alone

Guest guest

Hi Lynn,Thanks for your ideas.  I think I'm solid for breakfast since I take a mid- morning exercise class and don't feel like my food is not giving me enough energy to keep up.  I can almost always get to lunch without snacking.Lunch and dinner have been the hardest for me.  In Kathleen's YLD book she talks about having a system of people to help reach goals.  Well...I  thought a lot about that.  I know that I have enthusiastic support from my husband and sons, but what I really need is recipe and food support.  All the enthusiasm in the world won't help if I have no idea what to plan for vegetarian protein meals!  SO...I guess  all of you in this group ARE my support.  I'm going to print out your feedback (and others who answered my plea) and hi-light the ideas and recipes, and glue them into my food journal.  That way I can be creating a new recipe book!Thanks,You've really helped me at a shaky point in my recovery. (I can never get past step # 3 if I don't know what to eat!)Krista  On Mar 12, 2007, at 8:04 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote:Hi, Krista, I can totally understand how it is difficult to get all the protein you need!  I have felt the same way.  What I have found is that for lunch and dinner, I have to eat a lot of food (more about that later) but with a vegetarian diet, I am not gaining any weight.  Plus, I am almost never hungry between meals. For breakfast, I eat a grilled cheese sandwich (2 slices of cheese - 10 g) plus a protein drink of a scoop of protein powder (17 g), a teaspoon of decaf coffee substitute (called Kava made from some grain) mixed with some cold water.  I like it better with oatmilk, but I can not afford to drink that regularly.  To make the shake, I have a tall jar with a lid on it, and I put the protein powder and Kava in it with a little lukewarm water.  I shake that up til it's smooth, then add the rest of the water.  For lunch, I like to eat some kind of bean dish.  This week it was a white bean dip with unsalted tortilla chips and carrot and celery sticks.  To get the 24 g of protein I need, I have to eat about 1 1/4 c of the dip (which is alot), but I always manage to get it down! Last week, I made a black bean and rice salad, and I have to eat like 2 1/2 c of that, but I am getting used to that quantity of food.  For supper this week, I have been eating homemade refried beans with brown rice and a wilted spinach salad.  I like to eat that with some salsa or lime juice squeezed over everything. Sometimes, I like to eat omelettes (4 eggs).  You can put some shredded cheese on that to up the protein.  I eat that with a salad and 2 pieces of Ezekiel bread.  I can not eat wheat or nuts - they make me sleepy and set me up for cravings (bummer). Do you think you have been getting all the protein you need for breakfast?  If not, try to focus on breakfast before moving on to Step 3.  Too much too fast is a recipe for disaster - and this is the voice of experience speaking! Keep posting and let us know how you are doing on the program! -LynnKrista Diego <diegofamily (AT) mac (DOT) com> wrote:Hi Lynn,I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein in breads, etc.  I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book.  How do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted?  Do you res! ort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat that...it clumps!)  I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of protein.  What secret protein sources do you all eat?!As you can see, I'm struggling with step 3...but I have started to see that adding protein, even if it's not yet quite enough, has helped with the cravings in between meals.  I guess I've been skipping out on protein by whole life!Any ideas you have would be appreciated,KristaOn Mar 11, 2007, at 7:37 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote:Hi, Tina, Don't make the same mistake I did and count the protein from milk, bread, etc.  The program won't work right if you do.  By the way, how did you find the files Bob mentioned?  I am curious to look at it. -LynnTina <roma_rothko > wrote:Hi Lynn,I mean things like yoghurt, grains... E.g. it says on my wholewheat spaghetti that they have 12 grams of protein per 100 g of spaghetti.Thanks,Tina , Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:>> Hi, Tina,> > ; Welcome to the list, though I'm kinda new here, too.> > I want to address your question about non-dense protein sources. Can you give me some examples of what you mean?> > -Lynn! >

Guest guest

Hi Lynn,

I took the step 3 class not long ago and found it very helpful. Can

you afford to do that? Or you could join the step 3 list, people

there could help you sort things out and babystep the process. One of

the things suggested is to plan 3 lunches that will always work for

you and then rotate them. That way you always know what foods to shop

for and you can fix your meals quickly. I think your being at home

should only make it easier. Now you have the opportunity to try out

some new recipes and create some workable meals for you. There are

plenty of recipes in the Files on this list, have you checked them

out? I'd like to try tofu - I've never eaten it but got tempted while

reading other people's recipes on this list.

As for the shake, you could always use it just as a supplement to

your meal. You can have 2 scrambled eggs with a ww roll and half a

shake, for example. At breakfast, I always pour my shake into a glass

and eat it with a spoon, nice and slow. I really like to have it that

way.

I'm sure you'll find some combinations that will work for you!

Tina

, Krista Diego

<diegofamily wrote:

>

> Tina,

> Thanks for your help. I will try some of your ideas. I can't

bring

> myself to eat the fish or meat however, so that is where your

eating

> habits help with your protein amounts. My 19 year old son was

home

> from college recently and was helping me count protein grams. He

> munched on his roast beef sandwich on a 10 p gram whole grain roll-

up

> and felt very smug! Getting protein for that meat lover is easy.

>

> I also am not working...so the kitchen is always calling me.

After

> my house sells and we move, I will have a job. That should be

better

> to plan meals by. I've also never been one to drink my

> meals...always wanting to bite into something...but I will try

your

> shake. People seem to really like using them.

>

> Thanks,

> Krista

>

Guest guest

Hi Krista, Edamame = soy beans. In most metropolitan areas, you can find them in a regular supermarket, in the frozen vegetable aisle. They look a lot like small lima beans, but with a milder taste. Dpending on the size and brand, they can contain up to 25 grams of protein per cup when cooked. They are a favorite of mine when I travel, because once they are boiled, they can be kept in a ziplock bag without refrigeration for up to a day. You also can buy them still in the pod. Most Japanese restaurants offer them in the pod as an appetizer (you just kind of squish the beans out with your teeth and discard the pod). GailKrista Diego <diegofamily wrote: Thanks Gail, I'll ask at the health food store what edamame

is! I love to try these new suggestions. Keeps me headed in the right direction. Krista On Mar 13, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Gail Shapiro wrote: Or you can add more protein to the soup, such as with a handful of edamame.Sharon Wylie <swylie2002 > wrote: Hi Krista, Using your lentil soup and brown rice lunch as a starting point, I would add to it (add to the LUNCH, not the soup!) a hardboiled egg

and/or a cheese stick. Maybe some bean dip with wheat crackers on the side. Maybe some walnuts, or even a protein shake. I'd also just add more soup. I guess it depends on the recipe, but a can of Progresso lentil soup (as an example) has 18 grams of protein in it (that's two cups of soup). Hope this helps, Sharon in CA Krista Diego <diegofamily (AT) mac (DOT) com> Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 5:39:37 AMRe: Re: hello Hi Lynn, I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein in breads, etc. I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book. How do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted? Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat that...it clumps!) I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of protein. What secret protein sources do you all eat?! As you can see, I'm struggling with step 3...but I have started to see that adding protein, even if it's not yet quite enough, has helped with the cravings in between meals. I guess I've been skipping out on protein by whole life! Any ideas you have would be appreciated, Krista . Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains. TV dinner still cooling?Check out "Tonight's Picks" on TV.

Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection. Try the free Mail Beta.

Guest guest

Thanks Gail!On Mar 13, 2007, at 4:39 PM, Gail Shapiro wrote:Hi Krista, Edamame = soy beans. In most metropolitan areas, you can find them in a regular supermarket, in the frozen vegetable aisle. They look a lot like small lima beans, but with a milder taste. Dpending on the size and brand, they can contain up to 25 grams of protein per cup when cooked. They are a favorite of mine when I travel, because once they are boiled, they can be kept in a ziplock bag without refrigeration for up to a day. You also can buy them still in the pod. Most Japanese restaurants offer them in the pod as an appetizer (you just kind of squish the beans out with your teeth and discard the pod). GailKrista Diego <diegofamily (AT) mac (DOT) com> wrote:Thanks Gail,I'll ask at the health food store what edamame is!  I love to try these new suggestions.  Keeps me headed in the right direction.KristaOn Mar 13, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Gail Shapiro wrote:Or you can add more protein to the soup, such as with a handful of edamame.Sharon Wylie <swylie2002 > wrote:Hi Krista, Using your lentil soup and brown rice lunch as a starting point, I would add to it (add to the LUNCH, not the soup!) a hardboiled egg and/or a cheese stick. Maybe some bean dip with wheat crackers on the side. Maybe some walnuts, or even a protein shake. I'd also just add more soup. I guess it depends on the recipe, but a can of Progresso lentil soup (as an example) has 18 grams of protein in it (that's two cups of soup). Hope this helps,Sharon in CA Krista Diego <diegofamily (AT) mac (DOT) com> Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 5:39:37 AMRe: Re: helloHi Lynn,I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein in breads, etc.  I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book.  How do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted?  Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat that...it clumps!)  I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of protein.  What secret protein sources do you all eat?!As you can see, I'm struggling with step 3...but I have started to see that adding protein, even if it's not yet quite enough, has helped with the cravings in between meals.  I guess I've been skipping out on protein by whole life!Any ideas you have would be appreciated,Krista.! Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.TV dinner still cooling?Check out "Tonight's Picks" on TV.!Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection.Try the free Mail Beta.

Guest guest

Krista, I also like to chew my food, but like the convenience of a shake. So I have whole grain toast with peanut butter with my shake.

Allison

Krista Diego Mar 13, 2007 10:27 AM Re: Re: hello Tina,

Thanks for your help. I will try some of your ideas. I can't bring myself to eat the fish or meat however, so that is where your eating habits help with your protein amounts. My 19 year old son was home from college recently and was helping me count protein grams. He munched on his roast beef sandwich on a 10 p gram whole grain roll-up and felt very smug! Getting protein for that meat lover is easy.

I also am not working...so the kitchen is always calling me. After my house sells and we move, I will have a job. That should be better to plan meals by. I've also never been one to drink my meals...always wanting to bite into something...but I will try your shake. People seem to really like using them.

Thanks,

Krista

On Mar 12, 2007, at 6:07 PM, Tina wrote:

Hi Krista,I need 24 grams of protein per meal and I try to get that from a variety of protein sources. I normally eat meat or fish once a day so that makes it a lot easier. For dinner I often make a salad. Lately I've been eating a mix of chopped green bell pepper, carrots, buckwheat, beans, hard-boiled egg, sunflower seeds and french dressing. For dessert I may have a handful of almonds or some cottage cheese with fruit. That way I get a sufiicient amount of protein. This is easier done at home but it may be more difficult at work. Do you bring your own lunches to work or do you eat out?What kind of shake are you using? You can get great shake ideas at the breakfast list. I'm using a pure whey protein powder at the moment. I mix it with 2 tbs oatmeal, oatmilk, frozen fruit, a dash of cinnamon and a tsp of flax seed oil. Blend it with a stick blender... delicious.Hope this helps...Smiles,Tina , Krista Diego <diegofamily wrote:>> Hi Lynn,> > I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein > in breads, etc. I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of > protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book. How > do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted? > Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat > that...it clumps!) I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and > add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of > protein. What secret protein sources do you all eat?!> >

Guest guest

Tina,

Boy your food sure sounds good and familiar as well. I'm sure your doing it,

but it's good

to also have Brown's in there too, like triscuits, brown rice, whole wheat pasta

(read the

label closely)...

I only mean this to be constructive, for the group...

Have a Peaceful evening.

Joy,

Bob

, " Tina " <roma_rothko wrote:

>

> Hi Krista,

> I need 24 grams of protein per meal and I try to get that from a

> variety of protein sources. I normally eat meat or fish once a day so

> that makes it a lot easier. For dinner I often make a salad. Lately

> I've been eating a mix of chopped green bell pepper, carrots,

> buckwheat, beans, hard-boiled egg, sunflower seeds and french

> dressing. For dessert I may have a handful of almonds or some cottage

> cheese with fruit. That way I get a sufiicient amount of protein.

> This is easier done at home but it may be more difficult at work. Do

> you bring your own lunches to work or do you eat out?

> What kind of shake are you using? You can get great shake ideas at

> the breakfast list. I'm using a pure whey protein powder at the

> moment. I mix it with 2 tbs oatmeal, oatmilk, frozen fruit, a dash of

> cinnamon and a tsp of flax seed oil. Blend it with a stick blender...

> delicious.

> Hope this helps...

> Smiles,

> Tina

>

>

> , Krista Diego

> <diegofamily@> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Lynn,

> >

> > I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the

> protein

> > in breads, etc. I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of

> > protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book.

> How

> > do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't

> counted?

> > Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat

> > that...it clumps!) I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and

> > add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams

> of

> > protein. What secret protein sources do you all eat?!

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Allison,If you use protein powder in your shake, how do you get it not to clump?  I've even bought the ones that claim to be clump free with no success!  My trainer told me to get Whey Fruitie which has 26 grams of protein and tastes like lemonade.  It clumps so much it's awful.  I'd really like to master using protein powder once a day to help with  the protein count of at least one meal.Thanks,KristaOn Mar 13, 2007, at 8:36 PM, alschacht wrote:Krista, I also like to chew my food, but like the convenience of a shake.  So I have whole grain toast with peanut butter with my shake.Allison Krista Diego Mar 13, 2007 10:27 AM Re: Re: hello Tina,Thanks for your help.  I will try some of your ideas.  I can't bring myself to eat the fish or meat however, so that is where your eating habits help with your protein amounts.  My 19 year old son was home from college recently and was helping me count protein grams.  He munched on his roast beef sandwich on a 10 p gram whole grain roll-up and felt very smug!  Getting protein for that meat lover is easy.I also am not working...so the kitchen is always calling me.  After my house sells and we move, I will have a job.  That should be better to plan meals by.  I've also never been one to drink my meals...always wanting to bite into something...but I will try your shake.  People seem to really like using them.Thanks,KristaOn Mar 12, 2007, at 6:07 PM, Tina wrote:Hi Krista,I need 24 grams of protein per meal and I try to get that from a variety of protein sources. I normally eat meat or fish once a day so that makes it a lot easier. For dinner I often make a salad. Lately I've been eating a mix of chopped green bell pepper, carrots, buckwheat, beans, hard-boiled egg, sunflower seeds and french dressing. For dessert I may have a handful of almonds or some cottage cheese with fruit. That way I get a sufiicient amount of protein. This is easier done at home but it may be more difficult at work. Do you bring your own lunches to work or do you eat out?What kind of shake are you using? You can get great shake ideas at the breakfast list. I'm using a pure whey protein powder at the moment. I mix it with 2 tbs oatmeal, oatmilk, frozen fruit, a dash of cinnamon and a tsp of flax seed oil. Blend it with a stick blender... delicious.Hope this helps...Smiles,Tina , Krista Diego <diegofamily wrote:>> Hi Lynn,> > I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the protein > in breads, etc. I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams of > protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD book. How > do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't counted? > Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to eat > that...it clumps!) I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch and > add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10 grams of > protein. What secret protein sources do you all eat?!> >

Guest guest

I've used Naturade whey, Naturade soy free veg, Nutribiotic brown rice powder, George's Jr and George's shake, and I haven't had any problems with clumping, aside from a little bit sticking to the sides of the blender carafe. Are you making your shake in a blender? When I make my George's shake, I pour 1 scoop into the liquid, turn the blender on, and add the second scoop gradually. I didn't have to do that with the others, but George's has oats mixed in so it sticks a bit more

Guest guest

Hi Krista

The easiest way to prevent whey from clumping is to use a small whisk

that can fit inside of a glass.

In South Africa these small whisks can be bought at speciality baking

shops.

Pour in about 3 inches of water or liquid, add the whey and whisk

until smooth - should only take a minute or two.

Then add more liquid.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Karen

, Krista Diego

<diegofamily wrote:

>

> Allison,

>

> If you use protein powder in your shake, how do you get it not to

> clump? I've even bought the ones that claim to be clump free with

no

> success! My trainer told me to get Whey Fruitie which has 26

grams

> of protein and tastes like lemonade. It clumps so much it's

awful.

> I'd really like to master using protein powder once a day to help

> with the protein count of at least one meal.

>

> Thanks,

> Krista

> On Mar 13, 2007, at 8:36 PM, alschacht wrote:

>

> >

> > Krista, I also like to chew my food, but like the convenience of

a

> > shake. So I have whole grain toast with peanut butter with my

shake.

> >

> > Allison

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Krista Diego

> > Mar 13, 2007 10:27 AM

> >

> > Re: Re: hello

> >

> > Tina,

> > Thanks for your help. I will try some of your ideas. I can't

> > bring myself to eat the fish or meat however, so that is where

your

> > eating habits help with your protein amounts. My 19 year old

son

> > was home from college recently and was helping me count protein

> > grams. He munched on his roast beef sandwich on a 10 p gram

whole

> > grain roll-up and felt very smug! Getting protein for that meat

> > lover is easy.

> >

> > I also am not working...so the kitchen is always calling me.

After

> > my house sells and we move, I will have a job. That should be

> > better to plan meals by. I've also never been one to drink my

> > meals...always wanting to bite into something...but I will try

your

> > shake. People seem to really like using them.

> >

> > Thanks,

> > Krista

> > On Mar 12, 2007, at 6:07 PM, Tina wrote:

> >

> >> Hi Krista,

> >> I need 24 grams of protein per meal and I try to get that from a

> >> variety of protein sources. I normally eat meat or fish once a

day so

> >> that makes it a lot easier. For dinner I often make a salad.

Lately

> >> I've been eating a mix of chopped green bell pepper, carrots,

> >> buckwheat, beans, hard-boiled egg, sunflower seeds and french

> >> dressing. For dessert I may have a handful of almonds or some

cottage

> >> cheese with fruit. That way I get a sufiicient amount of protein.

> >> This is easier done at home but it may be more difficult at

work. Do

> >> you bring your own lunches to work or do you eat out?

> >> What kind of shake are you using? You can get great shake ideas

at

> >> the breakfast list. I'm using a pure whey protein powder at the

> >> moment. I mix it with 2 tbs oatmeal, oatmilk, frozen fruit, a

dash of

> >> cinnamon and a tsp of flax seed oil. Blend it with a stick

blender...

> >> delicious.

> >> Hope this helps...

> >> Smiles,

> >> Tina

> >>

> >> , Krista Diego

> >> <diegofamily@> wrote:

> >> >

> >> > Hi Lynn,

> >> >

> >> > I was reading what you wrote to Tina about not counting the

protein

> >> > in breads, etc. I'm having a hard time getting the 25-30 grams

of

> >> > protein at each meal that Kathleen writes about in the YLD

book.

> >> How

> >> > do YOU do it if the little bits in all foods eaten aren't

> >> counted?

> >> > Do you resort to protein powder? (I have never found a way to

eat

> >> > that...it clumps!) I find that if I eat lentil soup for lunch

and

> >> > add brown rice and veggies to it, I'm only getting about 10

grams

> >> of

> >> > protein. What secret protein sources do you all eat?!

> >> >

> >> >

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

> >

>