IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
pandora

flag planting

Rate this topic

im from trinidad and when we do a pooja we tend to plant flags that is dedicated to different gods and godesses. but ive also observed that many people from india do not practice the planting of the flag. i was woindering if any one know of the origion of planting of the flags came from, why dont many hindus from india do not practice this? <!-- im from trinidad and when we do a pooja we tend to plant flags that is dedicated to different gods and godesses. but ive also observed that many people from india do not practice the planting of the flag. i was woindering if any one know of the origion of planting of the flags came from, why dont many hindus from india do not prctice this? -->

<!-- / message -->

<!-- controls -->

progress.gif

im from trinidad and when we do a pooja we tend to plant flags that is dedicated to different gods and godesses. but ive also observed that many people from india do not practice the planting of the flag. i was woindering if any one know of the origion of planting of the flags came from, why dont many hindus from india do not practice this? <!-- im from trinidad and when we do a pooja we tend to plant flags that is dedicated to different gods and godesses. but ive also observed that many people from india do not practice the planting of the flag. i was woindering if any one know of the origion of planting of the flags came from, why dont many hindus from india do not prctice this? -->

<!-- / message -->

<!-- controls -->

progress.gif

Probably because it is a made up ritual which doesn't appear in sastra?

im from trinidad and when we do a pooja we tend to plant flags that is dedicated to different gods and godesses. but ive also observed that many people from india do not practice the planting of the flag. i was woindering if any one know of the origion of planting of the flags came from, why dont many hindus from india do not practice this?

Can you describe these flags? What do they look like? For example, Hanuman is associated with a red triangular flag, if I'm correct..

I have spent some time in Surinam, and have noticed that local Hindus there also plant flags in their gardens. They are called dhjandis and are red, orange or sometimes white in color and have something to do with Hanuman-worship. I have no idea what they represent or where this tradition comes from. Maybe they represent victory flags of Hanumanji. Also in neighbouring country Guyana planting dhjandis (or jhandis) is common practice:

Guyanese in Florida ordered to stop flying jhandi flag

-looks like 'a torn, tattered towel in a tree,' says community board

Not all Hindus display jhandis, but the flags are common among Hindus from the Caribbean, said Sannyasin Arumugaswami, managing editor of the Hawaii-based magazine Hinduism Today.

That's because many of the Hindus who moved to Caribbean countries such as Guyana and Trinidad arrived in the 19th century from an area in central India - often called the Bhojpuri Belt - where jhandis are common, he said.

In addition to their religious significance, the flags have a cultural significance, Sharma said.

They are a way for a person to tell the world that he or she is Hindu and proud of it.

:)

Can you describe these flags? What do they look like? For example, Hanuman is associated with a red triangular flag, if I'm correct..
the flags are triangle in shape, but its not only associated with only hanuman, but with all the gods.