IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
toronto

One action of Lord Krishna that I have a problem with.

Rate this topic

Why did our Lord let his sister marry their cousin? I know we Hindus are usually against cousin marriage as we treat our cousins as if they were our siblings. Was cousin marriage acceptable back then? Is it acceptable now?

I had the same question, the way I was explained was that Krishna supported this union because being the everseeing Lord, he knew that the union of Subhadra and Arjuna would result in Abhimanyu a very integral part of his kurukshetra lila. It was because of this knowlege that Abhmanyu would be so important in the war, Lord Krishna never even taught him the retreat from the chakravue even if Abhminayu asked multiple times.

In addition, I think that because Arjuna had different paternal blood (because Kunitdevi was Vasudev's sister) than I think thats why it was ok. Thats the only explanation I got.

Jai Shri Krishna

So in Hindu culture its ok to marry your cousin from your mother's side?
I'm not too sure about this myself. The whole idea of whether or not marrying your cousin is acceptable or not, is an issue that extends beyond the Hindu tradition. Are there any instances in Hindu texts where cousin marriage is explicitly forbidden?

So in Hindu culture its ok to marry your cousin from your mother's side?

At telugubhakti.com it says, "Arjuna was no other than her aunt’s son, a marriageable alliance" and it happened while Arjuna was living incognito and that, "The only hurdle is Balarama", "Subhadra, if we both enter the palace together, Droupadi will curse us and speak some harsh words."

"Yadavas are shivering with anger. Their blood was boiling. They sought the permission of Balarama to go to Hastina, wage a war on Arjuna and bring back Subhadra."

Don't know though if the honoured Vaishnava members consider this source as bonafide.

"Sri Krishna came to know about the arrival of Arjuna. He immediately rushed to the place where Arjuna was staying. He enquired about the welfare of Dharamaja and Kunti and other Pandavas. Sri Krishna kept Arjuna in a cave of Raivatakaadri. Sri Krishna went back to his palace.With the permission of his brother Balarama, Krishna proclaimed the Raivatakaadri festival. All yaadavas proceeded to Raivatakaadri, went round the hill and worshipped the hill. Sri Krishna along with his wife also visited Raivatakaadri. Sarana, Satyaki, Akroora, Ugrasena, Uddhava also followed Sri Krishna. Balarama, his wife, his sister Subhadra, also went there to see the festival.

In fact, Subhadra heard about Arjuna and his valiant deeds. Arjuna was no other than her aunt’s son, a marriageable alliance. She began to admire Arjuna and was dreaming about him. Balarama, his wife, his sister Subhadra was making “pradakshin” by going round the hill. At that time, Arjuna concentrated his passionate looks on Subhadra and also on her beautiful figure. Sri Krishna was observing Arjuna and his behaviour with regard to Subhadra “Swamijee, sanyaasis should not look at beautiful girls like that. Control yourself” smilingly said Krishna. Arjuna felt shy. “Arjuna, I know that your mind is fixed on my sister Subhadra. Dont worry. I will tell my parents, Devaki and Vasudeva and also the elders and see that your desire is fulfilled” said Krishna.

In the meanwhile, Balarama came there. Balarama thought that Arjuna was a real saint. He bowed before Arjuna. “Swamijee, now it is rainy season. You may stay here and continue your “chaaturmaasya vrata”. We will make all arranements for your stay and Vrata” said Balarama. Arjuna gladly accepted the offer. Balarama engaged Subhadra for making all arrangements to Arjuna who is in disguise. Subhadra was serving Arjuna with great devotion. Sri Krishna sent a message to Indraprastha about the welfare of Arjuna. While serving Arjuna, Subhadra entertained a doubt about his beautiful handsome body and also about his passionate behaviour towards her. She wanted to clear off her doubt.

One day Subhadra asked Arjuna “Swamijee, you might have seen many places. I heard my aunt’s son Arjuna was also roaming around holy places. Have you ever seen him? How does he look? Is he handsome and beutiful? I am in love with Arjuna. How can I reveal it to him” wittingly she asked that fake Sanyasi. Arjuna could not control himself. He removed his sanyasi clothes and appeared before her as real Arjuna and said “Hey Subhadra, my love. I am Arjuna” Subhadra looked at him amazingly and admiringly. Her mind filled with full of joy and shy. Arjuna asked Subhadra to marry him in Gaandharva method, without the intervention of elders. But Subhadra did not agree. “Elders are ready to perform our marriage. Ask them” so saying she went away.

Sri Krishna talked to his parents Devaki and Vasudeva and other elders and they also consented for the marriage of Subhadra and Arjuna. The only hurdle is Balarama. Of course, he may not agree. Hence Sri Krishna proclaimed a Siva festival at Antara Dweepa and asked all Yadavas to proceed to Antara dveepa for worshipping Siva. Krishna also took Balarama and other Yadavas to Antara dweepa. But Krishna came back immediately to Dwaraka. Sri Krishna sent for Devendra. In the presence of Devendra, Vasudeva, Devaki, other yadava elders, the marriage of Subhadra with Arjuna was performed at Dwaraka. Devendra gave many gifts and presentations to Arjuna.Then Krishna asked Arjuna to immediately leave Dwaraka with Subhadra on a golden chariot. Krishna turned back to Antara Dveepa and appeared before Balarama as if he was there in Antaravadveepaa throughout.

While Arjuna was going on a golden chariot with Subhadra, the sentries and guards of Dwaraka thought that somebody was kidnaping their pincess Subhadra. They began to fight with Arjuna. Arjuna killed them and proceeded to Hastinapuram. This information reached Balarama at Antaradveepa in no time. Balarama along with Krishna returned to Dwaraka and convened a meeting with Yadava elders. Yadavas are shivering with anger. Their blood was boiling. They sought the permission of Balarama to go to Hastina, wage a war on Arjuna and bring back Subhadra.

Balarama pacified them and asked Krishna “Oh my beloved brother, Krishna, tell me one thing. Has Arjuna took away Subhadra along with him without your knowledge and consent?” Krishna smiled. “Brother Balarama, Arjuna took away his aunt’s daughter. Is it wrong? Is it possible to fight with Arjuna, student of Drona, and overpower him? Have you not seen his valour and vigour at the time of Droupadi Svayamvara?” Balarama kept quiet.

There, Arjuna along with Subhadra reached the outskirts of Indraprastha city . “Subhadra, if we both enter the palace together, Droupadi will curse us and speak some harsh words. Therefore, first you go to palace like a Yadava girl along with other Yadava girls and seek the blessings of Kunti and Droupadi. Then I enter the scene and convince them all”, said Arjuna. Subhadra obeyed the orders of her husband and proceeded to the palace along wth some yadava girls. She saw Kunti and Droupadi in the palace. She prostrated before Kunti and Droupadi. They both blessed Subhadra with health, wealth and prosperity and also with sons and grandsons.

Later Arjuna entered the city and revealed everything to his mother, brother and wife and convinced them. Sri Krishna and Balarama also came from Dwaraka with innumerable gifts to Subhadra and Arjuna and also to Dharmaja and his brothers. Dharmaja bowed before Balarama, and other Yadava kings and got their blessings. Later Subhadra became pregnant and delivered a male child called Abhimanyu. Abhimanyu learnt Vedas, Upanishads and other sciences from Dhoumya. Arjuna taught all the archery skills to Abhimanyu and he became equal to his father. Through Droupadi, Pandavas beget five sons. They are Prativindhya, SrutasOma, Srutakeerti, Sataaneekaa, and Srutasena. They are also called Upa-Pandavas.

Sri Krishna also was staying at Indraprastha all throughout. One day, Arjuna told Sri Krishna “Krishna, the summer is very hot at Indraprastha. Why cannot we go to some forest areas where it is cool and avoid this hot summer”. Krishna agreed for the same.They both went to a forest nearby Khandavaprastha. While they were roaming in the forest, Agni in the form of a brahmin came to them. Arjuna welcomed the Brahmin and extended due honours. “I am so hungry. Please give me sumptuous food” asked the Brahmin. “Please tell what kind of food you want. We will give” said Arjuna. Now Agnideva stood before them in his original form. “I am Agni, I intend to consume this “Khandava Vana” forest by consigning the same to my flames. But Indra is causing all kinds of obstacles for my work because his friend, Takshaka, is living in this forest. If you are able to remove those obstacles, I will consume this forest” said Agni."

I don't think that it is ok to marry your cousin from the father's sister side because I know in our particular culture, we avoid arranged marriages amonsgt families of the same village even. The only exceptions I have heard of were like a brother's wife's sister-in-laws masi's daughter or something very far like that in which case your not even remotely related to the person but I think the instant of Arujuna/Subhadradevi was political and crucial to the events to take place.

Jai Shri Krishna

Yes, this is a plain old fashion sastra question.

Yes, Kunti and Vasudeva were brother and sister.

Yes, Kunti with Indradeva bore Arjuna.

Yes, Arjuna married Subhadra, daughter of Vasudeva.

But, there is a hidden lila concerning the births of Subhadra siblings and Yasodamayi . . . [hey sucandra! Go ask your Guru!]

PS: Aside from anemia etc, High Aristicrocy of Western Europe had always intermarried among first cousins at least up till World War I.

Let's not talk about Arabs doing it all the time. And what about places where there is no 'blood tests' to determine alike blood types? Maybe that's what makes for ugly kids.

Sorry I couldn’t complete in my previous message

In southern state of India cousin marriages are still happening in some communities. It means that t it was accepted in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> previously.

But now because of the development in genetics, people are avoiding this in many communities those who used to do cousin marriage. But I can say it is still happening in some communities