IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
indulekhadasi

Ayappa

Rate this topic

Oh.

Thanks for the information...but I am very disappointed by this. Why would they make up something like that?

For my arangetram I am doing a dance on Lord Ayappa but I wanted to know the full history behind his birth and which scriptures state his birth and pastimes. I never thought that he was all made up. :(

Anyway, thanks again.

indulekhadasi

So, he is not mentioned in any official scriptures suddenly he is not real? The lord has descended upon this world thousands of times before, I wouldn't say it is too far fetched to believe that perhaps one of his avatars (or in this case his children) wasn't recognized by most of the Hindu community instantly. Btw folklore doesn't mean some sort of myth of fairytale.

So, he is not mentioned in any official scriptures suddenly he is not real? The lord has descended upon this world thousands of times before, I wouldn't say it is too far fetched to believe that perhaps one of his avatars (or in this case his children) wasn't recognized by most of the Hindu community instantly. Btw folklore doesn't mean some sort of myth of fairytale.

Thank you for giving me a broader veiw on this subject. Do you know if he has been written about in any Keralan scripture?

If you are to google Ayyappan you should be able to find a site on the first page called "Lord Ayyapa of Sabarimala, Kerala, India :: by Rtn. Mohanakannan P" click it and go to "The legend" section of the site, and you should be able to find out about his birth and life (I'm afraid I can't post a direct link yet due to my lack os posts on this forum).

Edit: I'm guessing someone has probably wirtten about Ayyapa in scriptural format, but it just hasn't gained wide popularity as of yet amongst devotees.

We prize religious texts...but that doesnt mean that something not written in a religious text isnt true... after all the texts were most certainly written by someone at some time... and so many writers included their own interpretations in the texts which were assumed to be parts of the original text... if u are doing a dance on Lord Ayappaan in your arengretram...be certain that Ayappa works...else he wouldnt have so many followers willing to take on such hardships just to pay their annual visits to his shrine... best of luck

We prize religious texts...but that doesnt mean that something not written in a religious text isnt true... after all the texts were most certainly written by someone at some time... and so many writers included their own interpretations in the texts which were assumed to be parts of the original text... if u are doing a dance on Lord Ayappaan in your arengretram...be certain that Ayappa works...else he wouldnt have so many followers willing to take on such hardships just to pay their annual visits to his shrine... best of luck

Yes, Atmatattva dasa mentions Sri Ayyappa in his Mystical Experiences series on the main Indiadivine site. By the way, many lesser-known deities aren't mentioned in the main scriptures but do exist for very real and those who have performed their upasana have been bestowed with definite results. Another example of such is Randal Maa, the daughter of Vishvakarmaji and wife of Suryadeva, who is especially worshipped in Gujarat (and almost certainly in some other parts of Bharata too, although I happen not to know more about it).

Radhe Radhe

The historians says that long ago ayyapa war worshiped by some people who stays in mountains of kerala. I mean the tribes of the mountains. Later Brahmins adopted him as god because they realize the power that temple or statue and they given a story of Mohini and shiva. Now a days Ayyapa is worshiped as a god all over south <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. But there is some thing that this much devotees are going to this particular temple.

Another form of similar god is vettakorumakan. Vettakorumakan is worshiped in all over kerala as especially in northern kerala. Vettakorumakan is defined as son of Shiva and Parvathi.

I think some where in the spiritual script it is written about both of them. I have a book about temples of kerala in that book it is mention about the spiritual description of both. Presently that book is kept in my home at kerala. I will try to get those details as soon as I go home.