IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

The Bible Is Veda

Rate this topic

There might have been rarely any mentioning of Jesus in India but it was recognized that Christians accomplished something what the devotees of Lord Krishna may also try to follow.

"The Christian missionary people are backed by huge resources and they preach the Christian cult all over the world. Similarly the devotees of Lord Krishna may also combine together to start the mission of preaching Bhagavatam cult all over the world."

Letter to Madam Sumati Morarji Baisaheba, Thursday, October 27, 1965, New York

full letter

I used hyperbole. Are you familiar with that? 'HerServant' said "all the acharyas". That is also hyperbole. To be precise; I am not aware of any record of them making any such statements. Now are you going to hold everyone on this board to such exacting standards of English usage? If I am incorrect, please cite your sources. Accusing me of lying and prejudice is simply a personal attack which adds nothing of substance.

You were there? I think perhaps some kind of prejudice leads to such brash statements. Does it matter enough to lie about? Nothing matters that much.

I used hyperbole. Are you familiar with that? 'HerServant' said "all the acharyas". That is also hyperbole. To be precise; I am not aware of any record of them making any such statements. Now are you going to hold everyone on this board to such exacting standards of English usage? If I am incorrect, please cite your sources. Accusing me of lying and prejudice is simply a personal attack which adds nothing of substance.

References? Let's start with archeological, and historical references which can be authenticated by objective sources.

Try reading these to start:

http://www.acns.com/~mm9n/articles/Isovasya/Prof_%20M_M_Ninan%20-Isovasya%20Upanishad.htm

and this:

http://www.acns.com/~mm9n/articles/PDF/Emergence%20of%20Hinduism.pdf

and how about this for a real untold truth of Indian History!:

http://www.acns.com/~mm9n/articles/dalit/index.htm

I can't speak for gHari, but I know *I* bristle when anybody claims to know the "truth" about something in the mundane realm (in contrast with eternal spiritual truths).

Even Srila Prabhupada declared certain topics (spiritual topics even) "mysterious".

There are many things which we will simply not know in the experiential sense. One example is the core of the sun. Science can *speculate* as to what's happening there, but none of us has the facility to verify any of these speculations.

The same goes for history. Without looking at the link, I can dismiss any claims anybody makes to know the "true history" of anything. Ask 10 eyewitnesses for their account of what happend in Dallas when Kennedy was assassinated, and you'll get 10 different stories.

Less hyperbolic would be to say "an alternative view of history".

I can't speak for gHari, but I know *I* bristle when anybody claims to know the "truth" about something in the mundane realm (in contrast with eternal spiritual truths).

Even Srila Prabhupada declared certain topics (spiritual topics even) "mysterious".

There are many things which we will simply not know in the experiential sense. One example is the core of the sun. Science can *speculate* as to what's happening there, but none of us has the facility to verify any of these speculations.

The same goes for history. Without looking at the link, I can dismiss any claims anybody makes to know the "true history" of anything. Ask 10 eyewitnesses for their account of what happend in Dallas when Kennedy was assassinated, and you'll get 10 different stories.

Less hyperbolic would be to say "an alternative view of history".

ok sorry ... I should have wrote ... "The Truth"

My position, is that authentic bhakti traditions borrowed from one another over the course of time. Sastra must come from Sadhu. Where does a sadhu live ? (Cave, desert, mountain, etc.) What does a Sadhu have to do with "the Truth"? Sadhu realizes the absolute Truth and they compose a hymn or scripture, and in many cases not written. From this evolves Sastra. Over time and circumstance, all manner of variations may occur. Copies, translations, interpretations, etc.

I am not claiming the reference I cited is "the untold Truth" ... I was quoting from that author's web page.

But I think it is important that we understand that there are many perspectives that need to be taken into account.

Especially in this "Information" or "Mis-Information" Age!

Peace,

HerServant and yours.

Please try to follow the thread more carefully. I said references of Sri Shankara or Sri Mahaprabhu making mention of it. Their silence is deafening.

References? Let's start with archeological, and historical references which can be authenticated by objective sources.

Try reading these to start:

http://www.acns.com/~mm9n/articles/Isovasya/Prof_%20M_M_Ninan%20-Isovasya%20Upanishad.htm

and this:

http://www.acns.com/~mm9n/articles/PDF/Emergence%20of%20Hinduism.pdf

http://www.acns.com/~mm9n/articles/dalit/index.htm

All the more reason for Hindus to start educating their own,

instead of leaving it up to other faiths. I think the second

richest man in the world is Hindu, and there are a lot of other

rich ones around the world.

Oooh!! Thanks for finding that quote. I'd *surmised* as much before on this forum, that Srila Prabhupada *must* have studied the Bible *somewhat* during his education at a Christian school.

Hopefully, Guruvani won't pull that "Prabhupada never studied the Bible" crap again (but, somewhow, I'm not so certain).

:)

I agree with what you just said. My perspective needs to be taken into account also - that of trying to slow down the change as much as possible since we are only sliding deeper into Kali Yuga (and therefore more maya)

I have nothing against your faith, only the idea that Hindus need to incorporate the Bible or Koran into their Dharma. Or the idea that either is properly classified as Veda. An educated person can say it much better than me. Dr. Frank Morales, Ph.D. (Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya) who has been a Vaishnava monk for over 30 years:

http://www.dharmacentral.com/universalism.htm

ok sorry ... I should have wrote ... "The Truth"

My position, is that authentic bhakti traditions borrowed from one another over the course of time. Sastra must come from Sadhu. Where does a sadhu live ? (Cave, desert, mountain, etc.) What does a Sadhu have to do with "the Truth"? Sadhu realizes the absolute Truth and they compose a hymn or scripture, and in many cases not written. From this evolves Sastra. Over time and circumstance, all manner of variations may occur. Copies, translations, interpretations, etc.

I am not claiming the reference I cited is "the untold Truth" ... I was quoting from that author's web page.

But I think it is important that we understand that there are many perspectives that need to be taken into account.

Especially in this "Information" or "Mis-Information" Age!

Peace,

HerServant and yours.

I agree with what you just said. My perspective needs to be taken into account also - that of trying to slow down the change as much as possible since we are only sliding deeper into Kali Yuga (and therefore more maya)

I have nothing against your faith, only the idea that Hindus need to incorporate the Bible or Koran into their Dharma. Or the idea that either is properly classified as Veda. An educated person can say it much better than me. Dr. Frank Morales, Ph.D. (Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya) who has been a Vaishnava monk for over 30 years:

http://www.dharmacentral.com/universalism.htm

This is fine with me and recommended by all true seekers of various faiths. "Just approach a spiritual master". So we can go to an authentic Christian saddhu (e.g. monk, hermit, etc.) and he can guide us. We can go to a authentic Vaisnava sannyasi and he can guide us.

If we have Vaisnava questions, we should not ask the Christian monk for an authorative commentary on Vaisnavism. We can ask the Christian saddhu for a perspective (christian) on Vaisnava philosophy. That is OK. Also, we should not go to the Vaisnava monk and ask for authorative position on Christianity, but rather we can ask for Vaisnava perspective on Christianity.

This way we can help promote peace. Because, it is easy to agree on the high principles .. the perfect principles of bhakti.

From Vaisnava side, it should be no problem if I follow Jesus Christ faithfully, because from Vaisnava view, if Jesus leads to Krsna then that is a bonafide approach to reach God. (through guru).

From the Christian side, if Krsna is the ultimate goal, and Christian saddhu takes BG as Truth wherein Krsna says "I am the father", then there is no conflict.

This is why I point out the monestaries in India that there are both Hindu and Christian sannyasi. They don't care about religion .. they care only about loving and serving God!

Everyone's personal experience should be respected.

Particularly this poor fallen soul can advise only what the scriptures say.

But to the point of this thread, the Bible contains Bhakti yoga and that Bhakti yoga of the Bible is the SAME as the Bhakti yoga of the vedas.

Bhakti Yoga is above Christianity religion and Vaisnava religion.

That fact I am sure .. Love of God transcends every human conception and all logical contraversy.

HerServant and yours.