IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
HerServant

Is Krsna Prahlada ?

Rate this topic

Quote:

prahladah--Prahlada; ca--also; asmi--I am; daityanam--of the demons; kalah--time; kalayatam--of subduers; aham--I am; mrganam--of animals; ca--and; mrga-indrah--the lion; aham--I am; vainateyah--Garuda; ca--also; paksinam--of birds.

TRANSLATION

Among the Daitya demons I am the devoted Prahlada; among subduers I am time; among the beasts I am the lion, and among birds I am Garuda, the feathered carrier of Visnu.

- BG 10:30

Why does Krsna not say, "among atheists, I am the partial expansion of myself, Prahlada" ?

He does not say that. He says, "I AM Prahlada"

In the verse you quote it says:

aham--I am; mrganam--of animals; ca--and; mrga-indrah--the lion;

Are you now going to say that all Lions are Krishna incarnations?

What Krishna is giving in that verse are examples of the most powerful of powerful beings.

The Lion is King of the jungle as such the Lion represents Krishna.

Amongst birds Garuda is the greatest.

So, Krishna is saying that these great manifestations and creatures can be seen as representing him in power.

I don't know about the lions, but, personally, I think all figs are Krishna!

In the verse you quote it says:

Are you now going to say that all Lions are Krishna incarnations?

What Krishna is giving in that verse are examples of the most powerful of powerful beings.

The Lion is King of the jungle as such the Lion represents Krishna.

Amongst birds Garuda is the greatest.

So, Krishna is saying that these great manifestations and creatures can be seen as representing him in power.

Krishna is the grain-bearing plants and grain-bearing plants are used to make beer, so by the transitive property, Krishna is beer?

Maybe that explains why some Gurukulis like beer so much.

OK, my mind is out of control now. I'd best go chant some japa (if I could find my beads, that is).

Why does Krsna not say, "among atheists, I am the partial expansion of myself, Prahlada" ?

He does not say that. He says, "I AM Prahlada"

mahaksadasa. First of all, daityas are not atheists. Demons, perhaps, but seldom are they atheists. There are two families at war eternally, the devas and daityas. Prahlada is the son of a great member of the daitya class, and Krsna is explaining a yoga process to arjuna, "when you think of Demons, think of Prahlada, and this is Krsna Consciousness, non-different than myself." He could have said Bali Maharaja, who was also a great devotee of the demon class, but Prahlada is more prominant and certain to only invoke Krsna Consciousness. Bali Maharaja had a mean streak that had to be corrected by the appearance of Lord Vamana, whereas, Prahlada, from the very beginning, only had first class behavior traits.

When Krsna tells Arjuna, "of fish, I am the shark.", he is certainly not promoting anthropromorphism or any idea that sharks are krsna. He doesnt say the shark is krsna, he says, in the chapter dealing on how to meditate, to fix ones consciousness on Himself, he uses these examples, One must study Bhagavad Gita in context, know what is being said, and why. This aqctually requires a spiritual master to consult in all matters, but we wont get into the living guru trip again ad nauseum.

Read the whole chapter, her servant, this will help you understand the context in which Krsna is teaching. Krsna consciousness IS Krsna. If one admires the shark playing in the third break while one is trying to get the second wave, the admiration is perfected and actually a form of bhakti yoga to think of that shark as Krsna. This bhakti yoga is called "Visnoh smaranama", allways remembering the sUPREME lORD, EVEN WHILE ENGAGED IN SO-CALLED MUNDANE AFFAIRS.

hARE kRSNA, YS, MAHAKSADASA

Dont worry, murali, we have a sense of humor. My only thought is why not "of weeds, I am the dandilion." Now there is a potion the gurukulis could try to get them off the hops and barleycorns.

now for my joke. As yall know, Im a groundskeeper at the graveyard, so when I go into the fanatical organic store, I ask them "what do you call organic grass?"

page down for answer.

Dandy Lawn.

I thopught it was funny, youda had to been there.

Most people groan at puns (just why is that?).

This one deserves a chuckle, though!!

Dont worry, murali, we have a sense of humor. My only thought is why not "of weeds, I am the dandilion." Now there is a potion the gurukulis could try to get them off the hops and barleycorns.

now for my joke. As yall know, Im a groundskeeper at the graveyard, so when I go into the fanatical organic store, I ask them "what do you call organic grass?"

page down for answer.

Dandy Lawn.

I thopught it was funny, youda had to been there.

Like drinking beer? Somebody slap me!

I know you be joking, but Srila Prabhupada once quipped (he was actually always full of good humor, BTW) that to a wino, Krsna is the taste of that wine. Krsna is the nectar in which we are all anxious for, but in our resent state, we have trouble knowing where happiness is hiding. The exercizes in the Gita that we are speaking of on this topic is a bhakti yoga where we can acyually purify our mundane tastes.

The whole idea of offering food to krsna is based on these principles. Indian/Hindu cuisine is not praSADAM, BUT A PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICH JUST MAY WELL BE. All depends on the bhakti yoga practice of the one taking food in this manner.

As far as the original post of this topic, Krsna tells arjuna that everything great is but a spark of his splendor. This answers the question, Prahlada is a splendorous spark of the splendor of Krsna.

I like yakkin gita. I just fry whenever news of our old brothers hits the news and brings out the worst in all of us. Ludicrous that a letter by Caru about rammy swammy can generate 7 pages in just one day. BOOOORINGGGG.

Im glad to read your quips, santa cruiser. BTW Do you know Jivananda (John Carter), one of the original SF disciples and voice on Radha Krsna Temple album produced by G. Harrison? He had a lot of compadres in santa cruz back in the day. Havent seen him in a quarter century, but if you know him, say, mahak says howzit.

haribo, ys, mahaksadasa

Im glad to read your quips, santa cruiser. BTW Do you know Jivananda (John Carter), one of the original SF disciples and voice on Radha Krsna Temple album produced by G. Harrison? He had a lot of compadres in santa cruz back in the day. Havent seen him in a quarter century, but if you know him, say, mahak says howzit.

I wish I could say I know that Vaishnava, but I haven't had the fortune of meeting him (or have had the misfortune of forgetting that I met him).

Well, I'd best wrap up my Audarya postings for the week. I've got some mainframe user ID's to do before I leave for the day.

Mahak-ji--you might appreciate that I just bought a barebones P.A.--QSC USA850 power amp, and a Kustom brand monitor wedge (12" woofer and a horn) on my lunch break. I do sound for a local public access cable show called "The Idle Hands Show" that features local bands (most of them punk, hardcore, rockabilly, psychobilly, with the odd reggae or ska band). If you are ever in town and want to do an acoustic opening slot, I'd be happy to talk to the producer!

The band tonight couldn't get a PA (there's no house PA), and I've been wanting to put one together...

All Glories to Sri Guru and Sri Gauranga!!!

Please forgive my numerous offenses!!

BTW Do you know Jivananda (John Carter), one of the original SF disciples and voice on Radha Krsna Temple album produced by G. Harrison? He had a lot of compadres in santa cruz back in the day. Havent seen him in a quarter century...

I heard he moved to Dallas in the 1980's. Swarupa's wife Bhagavat Citta is his sister. Swarupa, where is Jivananda?

Don't take this the wrong way .. but the comments on this thread are not answers. PAHMO mahak prabhu .. but the answer you give doesn't add up for me.

First of all, comparing Prahlada to demon because of his bloodline is not correct (you left out His mother)

Second He is a Person .. not a weed. We know the Lord never teaches anywhere that His presence in material energy is equal to His personal form, direct or indirect.

Third .. no pure devotee of Visnu is demon.

Krsna say I am Prahlada for other reasons than given. He didn't say He was Narasimhadeva. It means His mercy is present as Great Devotee Incarnation of Himself, among demons AKA US FOOLS!!!!

If we can't even be attracted to the purest worship of Krsna coming from the purest child among us, how can we EVER possibly get to Krsna?

No way to approach Narashimhadeva but by Prahlada .. no way to Father but by Son.

HS and yours.

Second He is a Person .. not a weed. We know the Lord never teaches anywhere that His presence in material energy is equal to His personal form, direct or indirect.

In the same chapter Krishna says among trees I am the banyon. The entire chapter is about seeing the awe inspiring qualities of God in nature and existence.

I heard he moved to Dallas in the 1980's. Swarupa's wife Bhagavat Citta is his sister. Swarupa, where is Jivananda?

I knew a Jivananda in Dallas who arrived around 1980 (along with some businessmen friends) but they were all initiated by TKG. Didn't know of any other Jivananda there. Then again, I was only in Dallas for relatively brief periods of time, and wasn't there at all during the late 80's, although I did see Jivananda (TKG) there in '90. But no Jivananda (ACBSP) that I was aware of.

Well, he is alive in thoughts about him. I remember the kirtanas, the teachings he gave me of Lord Jesus Christ (He is the source of my understandings of Lord Jesus Christ, and was given the service to delve into christian theology by Srila Prabhupada), and especially the brief (all to brief) friendship.

It was in the maui highlands (the same setting as the novel, Kipu'Ka). We were basically ISKCON renegades, a branch loyal to Srila Prabhupada while rejecting the abuses of the GBC and dishonest samkirtana pretenders. Srila Prabhupada was visiting Honolulu, and he sent a personal emisarry to maui to convey his support and usual best wishes he has for all his disciples, affiliated or otherwise. So, naturally, a great kirtana took place. The emissary, Brahmananda Swami was always open to such things, and the unity was obvious, even though we were less formal than the temples. So he took up the mrdanga, and him and Jivananda had a great percussion battle that invoked memories of the ol dead duels of Hart and Krautzman. I had the pleasure of sitting down at the harmonium, while there were many guitars, congas and a karatala section that would melt any heart. Speaking of hearts, the heart of this samkirtana band was the cowbell of Sri Phenop das, and anyone who ever heard him with that thing would have a grasp on pure energy that only tesla and oppenheimer could understand.

So, hours and hours of sweet jivananda vocals (for a sample, hear "Om Purnam adah purnam idam" on the famous record), with at least an hour devoted to the "Hare Haraya Namah" praise of the six goswamis, we were chanting "haribol, haribol, nitai gaura, haribol". I looked into the eyes of Sri Brahmananda, Sri Jivananda, Sri Phenop, and I was baffled. Looking around, I saw ecstacy in all the beautiful faces of my brothers and sisters, but no one was chanting anything, all were quiet, yet tumultuous thundering of "haribol, haribol, nitai gaura, haribol" was still going on, from another dimension, perhaps, but it would not have surprised me at all to see gandharvas dropping petals from the sky.

Sri Bramananda then read a warm welcome from Srila Prabhupada, a personal invitation of darsana, and Jivananda gave a wonderful class of unity. Then he sang a song he wrote, "The Beauty of Krsna", which was truely a great lyrical piece. "And He rains love as profusely as the clouds pour water on the fields in the monsoon." Not a dry eye in di place, mon. Later that week, at my job in the herb store, we co-wrote the following:

The Storehouse of Love, c 1975, mahaksadasa

in the service of Jivananda dasa

The Storehouse of Love is never empty

The more that's taken, the more He will give.

He is unlimited in compassion,

The Spiritual Strength of all who live.

He engages unfortunate, fallen souls

In this age of hypocracy

By singing the Holy Names of God

We can develop humility

What will make us happy, what always makes us cry?

Why for only a minute we live and the very next minute we die?

We all have aspirations for power, to control our very destiny.

We never know how to accept though the Gift is given for free

In this age of hypocracy

We can develop humility

The political leaders, the modern scholars,

All of the Doomsday preachers,

To satisfy the many polluted hearts

Of those madly searching for cheaters,

Proclaim salvation for all the souls

Teaching pleasure just comes from matter

While the world just grinds out more pain,

Both in this life and many hereafter.

Please bear witness to all

The compassionate philantrophists

All the deeds of so-called mercy

Sure make some impressive lists.

Noble deeds are often ruined

By underhanded ways of making a living

Yet the stay so proud and tell the world,

"We are the masters of giving."

But giving is not that easy

When one has not a thing to give

Not a thing to lose except

Maybe the will to live.

We never learn how to accept

Though Sri Govinda has given us all

We only seek pleasure from matter,

Thus smash our heads against the wall.

The reason I always lament,

The missing nectar from my life.

Cannot be tasted in wealth or fame,

Glory or freedom from strife.

By reciprocating the Love Govinda has for me

I take a drink from the Storehouse of Love

Entering His Supreme Abode,

With the straw on the street above.

In this age of hypocracy

We can develop humility

The kirtana described above was a deal clincher for me. While in exile from Srila Prabhupadas society, I never felt closer to him than there in the maui uplands. His potency was felt eminating from, yes, his disciples. When Brahmananda played, Prabhupadas fingers took over. When Jivananda sang, the lyrics and expertice of vocals was Srila Prabhupada. This is disciplic succession, the disciple is the key. To stay on topic, Prahlada brings the softness to Lord Nrsimha. And when we tired from carrying out the yuga dharma, the demigods even sang for us.

All glories to the samkirtana movement, try it, youll like it.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Bhagavad-Gita of Sri Krishna:

BG 7.8: O son of Kuntī, I am the taste of water, the light of the sun and the moon, the syllable oḿ in the Vedic mantras; I am the sound in ether and ability in man.

BG 7.9: I am the original fragrance of the earth, and I am the heat in fire. I am the life of all that lives, and I am the penances of all ascetics.

BG 7.10: O son of Pṛthā, know that I am the original seed of all existences, the intelligence of the intelligent, and the prowess of all powerful men.

BG 7.11: I am the strength of the strong, devoid of passion and desire. I am sex life which is not contrary to religious principles, O lord of the Bhāratas [Arjuna].

BG 10.20: I am the Supersoul, O Arjuna, seated in the hearts of all living entities. I am the beginning, the middle and the end of all beings.

BG 10.21: Of the Ādityas I am Viṣṇu, of lights I am the radiant sun, of the Maruts I am Marīci, and among the stars I am the moon.

BG 10.22: Of the Vedas I am the Sāma Veda; of the demigods I am Indra, the king of heaven; of the senses I am the mind; and in living beings I am the living force [consciousness].

BG 10.23: Of all the Rudras I am Lord Śiva, of the Yakṣas and Rākṣasas I am the Lord of wealth [Kuvera], of the Vasus I am fire [Agni], and of mountains I am Meru.

BG 10.24: Of priests, O Arjuna, know Me to be the chief, Bṛhaspati. Of generals I am Kārtikeya, and of bodies of water I am the ocean.

BG 10.25: Of the great sages I am Bhṛgu; of vibrations I am the transcendental oḿ. Of sacrifices I am the chanting of the holy names [japa], and of immovable things I am the Himālayas.

BG 10.26: Of all trees I am the banyan tree, and of the sages among the demigods I am Nārada. Of the Gandharvas I am Citraratha, and among perfected beings I am the sage Kapila.

BG 10.27: Of horses know Me to be Uccaiḥśravā, produced during the churning of the ocean for nectar. Of lordly elephants I am Airāvata, and among men I am the monarch.

BG 10.28: Of weapons I am the thunderbolt; among cows I am the surabhi. Of causes for procreation I am Kandarpa, the god of love, and of serpents I am Vāsuki.

BG 10.29: Of the many-hooded Nāgas I am Ananta, and among the aquatics I am the demigod Varuṇa. Of departed ancestors I am Aryamā, and among the dispensers of law I am Yama, the lord of death.

BG 10.30: Among the Daitya demons I am the devoted Prahlāda, among subduers I am time, among beasts I am the lion, and among birds I am Garuḍa.

BG 10.31: Of purifiers I am the wind, of the wielders of weapons I am Rāma, of fishes I am the shark, and of flowing rivers I am the Ganges.

BG 10.32: Of all creations I am the beginning and the end and also the middle, O Arjuna. Of all sciences I am the spiritual science of the self, and among logicians I am the conclusive truth.

BG 10.33: Of letters I am the letter A, and among compound words I am the dual compound. I am also inexhaustible time, and of creators I am Brahmā.

BG 10.34: I am all-devouring death, and I am the generating principle of all that is yet to be. Among women I am fame, fortune, fine speech, memory, intelligence, steadfastness and patience.

BG 10.35: Of the hymns in the Sāma Veda I am the Bṛhat-sāma, and of poetry I am the Gāyatrī. Of months I am Mārgaśīrṣa [November-December], and of seasons I am flower-bearing spring.

BG 10.36: I am also the gambling of cheats, and of the splendid I am the splendor. I am victory, I am adventure, and I am the strength of the strong.

BG 10.37: Of the descendants of Vṛṣṇi I am Vāsudeva, and of the Pāṇḍavas I am Arjuna. Of the sages I am Vyāsa, and among great thinkers I am Uśanā.

BG 10.38: Among all means of suppressing lawlessness I am punishment, and of those who seek victory I am morality. Of secret things I am silence, and of the wise I am the wisdom.

BG 10.39: Furthermore, O Arjuna, I am the generating seed of all existences. There is no being — moving or nonmoving — that can exist without Me.

BG 10.40: O mighty conqueror of enemies, there is no end to My divine manifestations. What I have spoken to you is but a mere indication of My infinite opulences

I dont compare Prahlada to a demon, His mother was Diti, and she is the matriarch of a whole race of folks called asuras. The asura class has many personalities that had no symptoms of being demons, like the sons of Hiranyakasipu and one of the sons of Ravana who sided with Rama and was instrumental in the victory at Lanka of the Waves. Without the son of Ravana, the mystic powers of his great general could not be broken, because only daityas could break the invisibility mysticism. Maharaja Bali and Maharaja Prahlad are born in the asura race, and they are two of the twelve authorities of devotional service.

So, there are different meanings of the word "demon". One is what you do, the other is who you are in regards to your appearance in the world. In kali yuga, the descendents of Diti and Aditi (the devas and demigods) are not visible. And shastra also confirms that the demons and demigods worked is conjunction with Lord Kurma, while they churned, the creation alteration took place. They created all good things and all bad things, for us to have free choice, the purity of actual love. There are no gods or devils to Lord Krsna, just devotees. All the great demons killed by Krsna were pure devotees, and the killing is a rasa that is acintya, inconceivable. Ravana, Hiranyaksa, Hiranyakasipu, Kamsa, Jagai and Madai, all were demons only because pure devotees, Jaya and Vijaya, chose to engage in Krsnas pastimes in that role.

I dont compare Prahlada to a demon, His mother was Diti, and she is the matriarch of a whole race of folks called asuras. The asura class has many personalities that had no symptoms of being demons, like the sons of Hiranyakasipu and one of the sons of Ravana who sided with Rama and was instrumental in the victory at Lanka of the Waves. Without the son of Ravana, the mystic powers of his great general could not be broken, because only daityas could break the invisibility mysticism.

Pranam

I do not know of any son of Ravan that sided with Ram, i could be wrong though.

But i know his brother Vibhisan came over to Ram side.

Jai Shree Krishna

Haribol, Leave it to a ganesh-vadi to remove my impediments, in this case, my memory.

Isnt Vibhisana awesome. He is, of course, Ravanas brother. Still in the family, so my point holds, thanx again, mon ami, ys, mahaksadasa