IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guruvani

GBC Never Authorized to Terminate Ritvik System

Rate this topic

Sridhar Maharaja was practically a babaji by the time ISKCON met with disaster.

Anybody that knows anything about him at all knows that he could never have even been dragged into ISKCON leadership by any means.

Upon listening to the original tapes of Sridhar Maharaja it was clear to most senior Prabhupada disciples that Sridhar Maharaja was acting as the siksa guru to the ISKCON leadership. Lets see, if A=b and b=c then A=c. Sridhar Maharaja was the real living guru at the time of the transition years after Prabhupada's disappearence. Therefore many in the second level of ISKCON management decided that they would have to go directly to Sridhar Maharaja for real guidance. Sridhar Maharaja had no self interest but the situation itself caused the Gurus And GBC to panic. The Sridhar Maharaja that is revealed in Sri Guru and his Grace is his absolute side. This side of Sridhar Maharaja is for everyone and for all time. The relative side of Sridhar Maharaja, his personal devotional side, is the part that goes on through the official line through Govinda Maharaja. This doesn't mean that Govinda Maharaja is not an acarya in his own right, or a pure devotee. It just means that certain key instructions from Sridhar Maharaja were objective and universal although originally for ISKCON. The supporters, disciples and friends of Govinda Maharaja sometimes forget these things in their enthusiasm. The teachings of Sridhar Maharaja can give great nourishment to all Gaudiya Vaisnavas in their personal sojourn whether or not they are destined to be a part of the line now coming through Govinda Maharaja or not.

Upon listening to the original tapes of Sridhar Maharaja it was clear to most senior Prabhupada disciples that Sridhar Maharaja was acting as the siksa guru to the ISKCON leadership. Lets see, if A=b and b=c then A=c. Sridhar Maharaja was the real living guru at the time of the transition years after Prabhupada's disappearence. Therefore many in the second level of ISKCON management decided that they would have to go directly to Sridhar Maharaja for real guidance. Sridhar Maharaja had no self interest but the situation itself caused the Gurus And GBC to panic. The Sridhar Maharaja that is revealed in Sri Guru and his Grace is his absolute side. This side of Sridhar Maharaja is for everyone and for all time. The relative side of Sridhar Maharaja, his personal devotional side, is the part that goes on through the official line through Govinda Maharaja. This doesn't mean that Govinda Maharaja is not an acarya in his own right, or a pure devotee. It just means that certain key instructions from Sridhar Maharaja were objective and universal although originally for ISKCON. The supporters, disciples and friends of Govinda Maharaja sometimes forget these things in their enthusiasm. The teachings of Sridhar Maharaja can give great nourishment to all Gaudiya Vaisnavas in their personal sojourn whether or not they are destined to be a part of the line now coming through Govinda Maharaja or not.

some good thoughts there.

I have long felt that Sridhar Maharaja left Govinda Maharaja the buildings, the deity worship and the official stamp of approval, but in his instructions during the crisis period after the passing of Srila Prabhupada he gave some precious jewels to the whole movement and devotees for all time to come.

As you said, he did share with the devotees some window into his absolute side and gave many important and valuable concepts to the rank and file devotees of the world, even though in the end he gave the brick and morter establishment to Govinda Maharaja, which surpised nobody and was predictable.

Sridhar Maharaja spilled out many precious jewels for all the devotees of the world to have, even though he gave the institution over to Govinda Maharaja.

When it is all said and done, Sridhar Maharaja gave as much to the Vaishnava world as he ever left to Govinda Maharaja.

The jewels he gave to the Krishna consciousness movement are more valuable than any building or property could ever be.

The official Sridhar Maharaja is not the complete Sridhar Maharaja.

I am personally much more concerned with the UNOFFICIAL Sridhar Maharaja than the Sridhar Maharaja of property, buildings and official successors.

I am sure he has unofficial successors apart from the official successor.

Upon listening to the original tapes of Sridhar Maharaja it was clear to most senior Prabhupada disciples that Sridhar Maharaja was acting as the siksa guru to the ISKCON leadership. Lets see, if A=b and b=c then A=c. Sridhar Maharaja was the real living guru at the time of the transition years after Prabhupada's disappearence.

But, I have to point out that Sridhar Maharaja gave certain instructions and words of guidance based upon misinformation that was the bold face lie of Jayapataka Maharaja setting in front of Sridhar Maharaja and telling a lie that Srila Prabhupada appointed 11 men to be successor gurus.

Sridhar Maharaja responded to a number of their questions based upon his acceptance of this lie as being the truth.

Considering that, we have to be very careful with those instructions that were given on the basis of false information about the final intructions of Srila Prabhupada.

In other words, most all the specific instructions he gave about these being official ISKCON gurus must have to be rejected as it was based on a false premise and false information.

Jayapataka Maharaja lied and he never apologized to Sridhar Maharaja or the ISKCON devotees for a lie that has resulted in untold damage to ISKCON and the movement of Srila Prabhupada.

Yes, Sridhar Maharaja eventually (around spring of '82) said something like [to paraphrase], "they (the "appointed gurus") came to me and told me that they were appointed (guru) by Swami Maharaja. I am a simple man, so what they told me I believed. But, now I don't believe that Swami Maharaja ever appoint them, I now see that judging by their behavior, it would be impossible (that they were appointed guru)."

Yes, Sridhar Maharaja eventually (around spring of '82) said something like [to paraphrase], "they (the "appointed gurus") came to me and told me that they were appointed (guru) by Swami Maharaja. I am a simple man, so what they told me I believed. But, now I don't believe that Swami Maharaja ever appoint them, I now see that judging by their behavior, it would be impossible (that they were appointed guru)."

This episode of Jayapataka Maharaja lying to Sridhar Maharaja is also a very telling incident.

After the passing of Srila Prabhupada, at that very time, it was accepted by one and all that Srila Prabhupada appointed 11 men as something before he left.

Jayapataka and the gang twisted the fact a little bit and told Sridhar Maharaja that Srila Prabhupada appointed 11 successor gurus.

Even today it is universally accepted that he appointed 11 ritviks and that there is no evidence that he appointed 11 successor gurus.

So, this history proves that everyone at the time considered the appointment of the BIG 11 as the final arrangements of Srila Prabhupada for the future of ISKCON after his passing.

It eventually became known that Srila Prabhupada didn't appoint 11 successor gurus, that he appointed 11 ritviks.

So, then really, if we rewind the mess back to the time when the BIG 11 went to Sridhar Maharaja and told the lie and think about what would have been the instructions of Sridhar Maharaja based upon the actual facts, then maybe ISKCON could have been spared untold chaos and disruption?

If they hadn't lied to Sridhar Maharaja, then maybe today ISKCON would actually be a very vibrant and cohesive movement with a ritvik system of initiation?

<table cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="98%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">Public Declaration</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td>by Srila Bhakti Rakshak Sridhar Dev-Goswami Maharaj

[from a recording on Gaura Purnima, 26th March, 1986] According to the desire of my Divine Master, I have been maintaining this Disciplic Succession but it is no longer possible for me, as I am now too old and an invalid. You all know from long ago I have chosen Sriman Bhakti Sundar Govinda Maharaj and I have given him sannyasa. All my Vaishnava Godbrothers are very affectionate towards him and it is also their desire to give him this position. I have previously given to him the charge of the Math and now I am giving him the full responsibility of giving Harinam, diksha, sannyasa, etc., as an Acharya of this Math on behalf of myself.

Those who have any regard for me should give this respect and position to Govinda Maharaj as my successor. As much as you have faith in my sincerity, then with all sincerity I believe that he has got the capacity of rendering service in this way. With this I transfer these beads and from now he will initiate on my behalf as ritvik. The ritvik system is already involved both here and also in the foreign land. The ritvik is the representative. So if you want to take from me, and you take by his hands, then it will be as well and as good as taking from me.

In the Mahamandala, Sagar Maharaj and many others are also ritvik of Swami Maharaj and also myself. They may do so, but in this Math and in any Math under this Math, he will be the representative. If anyone cannot accept this, he may leave the Math rather than stay here and disturb the peace of the Math. With all my sincerity and good feelings to Guru-Gauranga, to the Vaishnavas and the Acharyas, Mahaprabhu, Pancha-Tattva, Radha-Govinda and Their Parshadas, with all my sincere prayers to Them, henceforth he will represent me in this affair beginning from today's function.

Now I shall go from here and he will do the necessary. On my behalf, he will give Harinama, diksha, sannyasa, and everything.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

If they hadn't lied to Sridhar Maharaja, then maybe today ISKCON would actually be a very vibrant and cohesive movement with a ritvik system of initiation?

Gradually we have to come to the understanding that the condition of this world is as such that no 100% genuine religious system is possible on planet earth. Either you accept to live with what we have right now or there will be no KC in this world at all. This is the plain truth. Better let them play around with installing their private global networks and somehow here and there spread the yuga-dharma, the chanting of Hare Krishna. Introducing Prabhupada as the sole diksa-guru for ISKCON would result the ISKCON movement to be closed within 6 months - guaranteed. Let them the privileg to be Krishna's absolute mouthpiece and grant them private ownership of their zones - if we dont see this in context how present ISKCON is also part of the ongoing installation of globalization networks you simply swim against the current till total burnout.

Prabhupada somehow mentioned this already in the preface of Srimad-Bhagavatam:

"We must know the present need of human society. And what is that need? Human society is no longer bounded by geographical limits to particular countries or communities. Human society is broader than in the Middle Ages, and the world tendency is toward one state or one human society. The ideals of spiritual communism, according to Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam, are based more or less on the oneness of the entire human society, nay, of the entire energy of living beings. The need is felt by great thinkers to make this a successful ideology. Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam will fill this need in human society. It begins, therefore, with the aphorism of Vedānta philosophy janmādy asya yataḥ [SB 1.1.1] to establish the ideal of a common cause."

Śrīmad Bhāgavatam, Preface

Gradually we have to come to the understanding that the condition of this world is as such that no 100% genuine religious system is possible on planet earth. Either you accept to live with what we have right now or there will be no KC in this world at all. This is the plain truth. Better let them play around with installing their private global networks and somehow here and there spread the yuga-dharma. Introducing Prabhupada as the sole diksa-guru for ISKCON would result the ISKCON movement to be closed within 6 months - guaranteed. Let them play to be Krishna's absolute mouthpiece and grant them private ownership of their zones - if we dont see this in context how present ISKCON is also part of the ongoing globalization, you simply swim against the current.

<table cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="98%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">Public Declaration</td> </tr> <tr> <td>

</td> <td>by Srila Bhakti Rakshak Sridhar Dev-Goswami Maharaj

[from a recording on Gaura Purnima, 26th March, 1986] According to the desire of my Divine Master, I have been maintaining this Disciplic Succession but it is no longer possible for me, as I am now too old and an invalid. You all know from long ago I have chosen Sriman Bhakti Sundar Govinda Maharaj and I have given him sannyasa. All my Vaishnava Godbrothers are very affectionate towards him and it is also their desire to give him this position. I have previously given to him the charge of the Math and now I am giving him the full responsibility of giving Harinam, diksha, sannyasa, etc., as an Acharya of this Math on behalf of myself.

Those who have any regard for me should give this respect and position to Govinda Maharaj as my successor. As much as you have faith in my sincerity, then with all sincerity I believe that he has got the capacity of rendering service in this way. With this I transfer these beads and from now he will initiate on my behalf as ritvik. The ritvik system is already involved both here and also in the foreign land. The ritvik is the representative. So if you want to take from me, and you take by his hands, then it will be as well and as good as taking from me.

In the Mahamandala, Sagar Maharaj and many others are also ritvik of Swami Maharaj and also myself. They may do so, but in this Math and in any Math under this Math, he will be the representative. If anyone cannot accept this, he may leave the Math rather than stay here and disturb the peace of the Math. With all my sincerity and good feelings to Guru-Gauranga, to the Vaishnavas and the Acharyas, Mahaprabhu, Pancha-Tattva, Radha-Govinda and Their Parshadas, with all my sincere prayers to Them, henceforth he will represent me in this affair beginning from today's function.

Now I shall go from here and he will do the necessary. On my behalf, he will give Harinama, diksha, sannyasa, and everything. </td></tr></tbody></table>

Paper doesn't blush - also in Sridhar Swami's succession the opposite is true, not ritviks, but full-fledged disksa-gurus as successors, with the goal of incorporating Sridhar Swami's legacy into the present global networks.

Paper doesn't blush - also in Sridhar Swami's succession the opposite is true, not ritviks, but full-fledged disksa-gurus as successors, with the goal of incorporating Sridhar Swami's legacy into the present global networks.

With this I transfer these beads and from now he will initiate on my behalf as ritvik

Full-fledged diksha gurus?

Sridhar Maharaja appointed him SEVAITE ACHARYA.

(servitor acharya)

I think that falls a little short of full-fledged.

Everything hinges on the SERVITOR principle.

Sevaite Acharya........... servitor of the acharya......RITVIK.

His appointment to more than ritvik was by his followers not by his master.

no doubt that your quotes are correct but please get updated about the present situation in Sridhar Swami's temple. To consider that this understanding is being changed is simply to hallucinate.

A Critical Essay Addressing the Ritvik Misconception in light of bona-fide siddhanta

by

Sripad Bhakti Bhavana Visnu Maharaja

http://www.gosai.com/chaitanya/ashrama/links/ritvik-and-parampara-fs.html

(1998-AD) (512 Gaura-abda) (102 Bhaktivedanta-abda)

My Dear Srila Prabhupada,

Please accept my respectful prostrated obeisance's and puspanjali offered again and again and again at Your Divine Lotus Feet. All glories to Your Divine Grace! I wanted to write this offering for your Vyasa-Puja books,but instead I am writing in the very day of your Vyasa Puja which in someways seems more appropriate.

Your Divine Grace has instructed that the first qualification of a spiritual master is to be a disciple. You have always instructed us on the importance of following the guru parampara system and how ISKCON is a part of the Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya Sampradaya. The significance of being a disciplic succession mentioned in the Padma Purana is that we are to always follow the Vedic injunctions and guide our every act by the Vedic Literatures. You have always done that balancing mukhya (main instructions) with gauna (detailed instructions) and coming up with the prescription authorized by sadhu, sastra and guru most suited to ISKCON and tuned for the "time, place and circumstances" we are in. In my humble way I have been trying to implement your desires and instructions in all my services including my service as a spiritual master (both siksa-guru and diksa-guru) in ISKCON.

In many ways you have instructed me that I am to initiate disciples andguide them. On some occasions you told me that since you gave me sannyas Ihad the mandate to accept disciples, but that the etiquette was not toinitiate in the presence of the guru. That after the guru was not physically present the sannyasi disciple could initiate without restriction [according to whatever guidelines the spiritual master gave for the management of his society]. This you told me on more than one occasion. I never understood why you mentioned that since accepting disciples wasn't on my mind. I took it as a test you were putting me through. Now it comes as more of a confirmation of your desire for continuing the guru parampara according to the tradition of our disciplic succession. In your transcendental literatures you repeatedly mention how you hope for the day when all your followers will be initiating spiritual masters initiating even 10,000 or more disciples into the guru parampara.

On May 28th , 1977 you called me and the other GBC members to tell us you would be going back to Lord Sri Krishna and we should ask you any questions pertinent to the situation. One of the questions we asked you was how the future initiations would go on. You instructed that you would recommend some officiating spiritual masters who would initiate disciples into the disciplic succession in the future, but as a formality they would initiate on your behalf in your presence. Later on July 9th, 1977 your secretary wrote a letter with your approval stating that I was one of the disciples recommended as per your May 28th, 1977 discussion. I was hoping you would recover and we could go on making disciples for Your Divine Grace, but Lord Sri Krishna had another plan. After your departure from this visible world there have been many trials. The 4th canto Srimad Bhagavatam informs that after the departure of the Acarya there are many disturbances that occur in this world. We have experienced that in ISKCON. When the GBC met in 1978 and discussed what was to be done it was advised that you had expressed we could go to your godbrother HH B.R. Sridhar Maharaj for any technical questions. There was some confusion about how to implement the instructions on spiritual master so it was decided to ask your Godbrother. He certainly had good intentions, but his vision wasn't your vision. He advised that each spiritual master should have his own private area which he termed "private room" where he could be alone with his disciples. Somehow this created the "Zonal Acarya" concept where everyone in a particular zone was more or less compelled to accept initiation from the local Zonal Guru. This created more problems and offenses. Also the idea that by Your Divine Grace recommending us to be spiritual masters and initiate we were by definition "uttam adhikary" or something created false impressions and enhanced the false ego. I was a participant in these situations and knowingly or unknowingly I committed many offenses to my godbrothers and godsisters and other devotees.

I beggedfor forgiveness countless times, but still I haven't been forgiven by many. I am afraid of the reactions of these offenses impeding my spiritualprogress. Later in ISKCON the GBC tried to resolve all these problems and the "Zonal Acarya" concept was abolished in ISKCON. I personally tried to show how these concepts weren't your idea, but came from outside of ISKCON. In all of these circumstances I was always thinking that the only way I can assure any disciple to get back to Godhead was by representing you and following your instructions. I never thought I had the personal ability to do so without Your Divine Grace's causeless mercy. You have told that anyone who follows the 4 regulative principles, chants 16 rounds daily and surrenders to a bona fide spiritual master will get back to Lord Sri Krishna. Therefore, I have felt confident that I can liberate my disciples simply on the strength of Your Divine Grace's causeless mercy and instructions. Without your mercy I don't see any hope. Therefore I am fully depending on Your Divine Grace's causeless mercy to be upon my initiated disciples, my siksa disciples and those who aspire or depend upon me for any care and help. Only by your mercy will it be possible to help, guide and get them back to Godhead. Since you are a liberated spiritual master and I am following in Your Divine Grace's footsteps then by your mercy I can also fully deliver the message and mercy of Lord Sri Krishna to them. So I am fully depending on your mercy and shelter to continue.

Last year I expressed to you my how I began to realize more deeply how special and dear and wonderful are all the souls who have surrendered to Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu through Your Divine Grace and taken shelter of your Krishna Consciousness Movement. During this year I tried to make myself available to ISKCON devotees and to increase my care and attention to them. Many have expressed appreciation for this, but some are there who I have not yet been able to satisfy. In order to protect and care for your followers I need your special mercy that I can be a transparent medium for your mercy to flow to all of them. I know Your Divine Grace loves all of them and wants everyone to feel happy in the Krishna Consciousness Movement. Please give your mercy to enable me and all ISKCON leaders to become true representatives of your love for the devotees.

Today in ISKCON again many new tests are there on the faith of the devotees. Some persons are there who claim that you wanted to be the last diksa guru in ISKCON for the next 10,000 years although you have never said such a thing. Although you have always expressed your desire for the guru parampara system and that your disciples accept disciples, they use complicated word jugglery to prove their point and incessantly and ruthlessly criticize ISKCON spiritual masters. It seems their goal is to undermine faith in all of your followers in the present diksa gurus thinking this will by default force devotees to accept their speculations that you should be the only diksa guru. We need your mercy to properly establish your position as Founder-Acarya of ISKCON for the next 10,000 years. Simultaneously we need your mercy to properly establish the role of diksa-guru and siksa-guru in ISKCON so that Your Divine Grace's desires to continue the disciplic succession will be fulfilled. We have to be more sensitive to the various concerns and need of all the devotees.

You taught how the whole world is burning due to the lack of the mercy of the Vaisnavas. Now, by your causeless mercy, we have written a manual for Nama Hatta small groups and a training course for training leadesr in this preaching. This provides the opportunity to engage everyone inside and outside of your temples in devotional service through the Nama Hatta and congregational preaching programs. We look forward to a world filled with devotees practicing pure devotional service under the shelter of your transcendental movement. You ordered me to "increase the [Krishna conscious] propagation unlimitedly" and I again and again beg for your mercy to achieve this soon. The world is really on fire and the need to empower and engage the congregationally based devotees in preaching Krishna consciousness is felt now more than ever.

I take this opportunity to pray to Your Divine Grace for the quick and fullrecovery of the health of my dear god-brother Harikesa Maharaja who has suffered various ailments to his health, if it so please Your Divine Grace. I pray for your mercy on all ISKCON devotees to overcome the obstacles indevotional service and to quickly achieve pure Love of Godhead. We need your special mercy for the successful completion of the Temple for Vedic Planetarium in Sri Mayapur and the development of ISKCON's Krishna consciousness township there. I need Your Divine Grace's mercy to help me fulfill all the instructions you have given me.

Having made these offerings and meditations I beg to remain steadfastly under the shelter of Your Divine lotus feet eternally.

Your eternal servant, Jayapataka Swami

(1998-AD) (512 Gaura-abda) (102 Bhaktivedanta-abda)

My Dear Srila Prabhupada,

Please accept my respectful prostrated obeisance's and puspanjali offered again and again and again at Your Divine Lotus Feet. All glories to Your Divine Grace! I wanted to write this offering for your Vyasa-Puja books,but instead I am writing in the very day of your Vyasa Puja which in someways seems more appropriate.

Good point, we have to consider the paramapara system as Krishna's system - not ours. If there're discrepancies Krishna takes care - nobody else. It is His system, evam parampara praptam - "I have installed the parampara system - it is My system, not yours". Therefor it is Krishna's business to check who is sitting on the vyasanasana and do the needful, not ours. Why ours, Krishna will see to it. As soon some deviant sits on the vyasanana Krishna always did the needful. Why misbelief?

...When the GBC met in 1978 and discussed what was to be done it was advised that you had expressed we could go to your godbrother HH B.R. Sridhar Maharaj for any technical questions. There was some confusion about how to implement the instructions on spiritual master so it was decided to ask your Godbrother. He certainly had good intentions, but his vision wasn't your vision. He advised that each spiritual master should have his own private area which he termed "private room" where he could be alone with his disciples. Somehow this created the "Zonal Acarya" concept where everyone in a particular zone was more or less compelled to accept initiation from the local Zonal Guru. This created more problems and offenses. Also the idea that by Your Divine Grace recommending us to be spiritual masters and initiate we were by definition "uttam adhikary" or something created false impressions and enhanced the false ego. I was a participant in these situations and knowingly or unknowingly I committed many offenses to my godbrothers and godsisters and other devotees.

I begged for forgiveness countless times, but still I haven't been forgiven by many. I am afraid of the reactions of these offenses impeding my spiritual progress. Later in ISKCON the GBC tried to resolve all these problems and the "Zonal Acarya" concept was abolished in ISKCON. I personally tried to show how these concepts weren't your idea, but came from outside of ISKCON...

Giriraja Maharaja, in a letter of September 16, 1978 addressed to all GBC members, wrote:

According to Sridhara Swami, who Srila Prabhupada said we should consult about philosophy and practical points, there is relative and absolute considerationand we must give Sridhara Swami the highest regard. At one time, Srila Prabhupada said that apart from himself only Sridhara Swami was qualified to write the
Bhagavatam
dot_clear.gif
purports. When we approached Srila Prabhupada before his departure about our writing books after his disappearance, Srila Prabhupada replied, "You can write when you are realized, but now none of you are realized."

So both in terms of relative rank and absolute realization, Sridhara Swami is far beyond any of us. Recently, I have heard statements to the effect that we have now surpassed Sridhara Swami and that we are in the position where we can improve upon Sridhara Swami's conception. In this connection, I am simply reminded of the words of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu,
svami na mane yei jana vesyara bhitare, tare kariye ganana
dot_clear.gif
that we must remain faithful to our Swami [otherwise we will be prostitutes]. (Cc .
Antya-lila
dot_clear.gif
7.115)

Well, what is going on at the Matha since the passing of Sridhar Maharaja and what he clearly instructed in his "declaration of spiritual succession" might not be in sync. I don't live in a cave. I know what has been going on since the passing of Sridhar Maharaja.

That doesn't change what Sridhar Maharaja ordered in his "declaration of spiritual succession" and his appointing Govinda Maharaja as his successor in a ritvik capacity.

As I explained already, Govinda Maharaja was appointed as ritvik by his master and stripped of that status by his followers.

For me, I accept the orders of Sridhar Maharaja as being valid.

What the neophytes at the Matha decided after the passing of Sridhar Maharaja doesn't change the orders that Sridhar Maharaja left in his "declaration of spiritual succession" upon his retiring from the world.

The orders of Sridhar Maharaja are what is the power and authority.

The neophyte crowd stripped Govinda Maharaja of his ritvik status in disobediance to the final orders of Sridhar Maharaja.

What the crowd of neophytes decided and what Sridhar Maharaja ordered are two different things.

I don't follow the crowd of neophytes.

I accept the orders of Sridhar Maharaja as final.

Well yes the problem is that global Vaishnavism is so disunited because people are to poke one's nose into matters which are soley Krishna's business - not ours.

Krishna repeats and repeats that He Himself immediately corrects whenever there're discrepancies in the parampara system and that His devotees should simply serve Him with full faith. That in this age of kali already too many fell down is sad but our business is to tolerate and simply perform devotional service. Krishna will do the needfull, He's always watching, why we should interefere into His department to keep the parampara system clean, pure and genuine? Krishna keeps the genetic code of plants functioning since millions of years, why we should be such disbelievers to think that He cant manage to keep His own parampara system clean and pure?

What is going on at the Matha and what is the authorized instructions of Sridhar Maharaja don't appear to in compliance.

So, I know well the concept that Sridhar Maharaja gave in his final "declaration of spiritual succession" and I know well about the psycophants and Matha dwellers that stripped Govinda Maharaja of ritvik status and his "SEVAITE" acharya status to make him master of SCSMATH.

Our Affectionate Guardians

The First Darsana

In the spring of 1978 during the annual meeting of the GBC in Sridhama Mayapur, the GBC approached Sridhara Maharaja with questions regarding the nature of disciplic succession. They went to Srila Sridhara Maharaja following the advice of Srila Prabhupada. Sadly, Sridhara Maharaja's deep insights and generous heart were later misconstrued to be philosophically deviant and arising from evil intentions.

In the following darsana, dot_clear.gifthe GBC's first official meeting with Srila Sridhara Maharaja after the departure of Srila Prabhupada, Srila Sridhara Maharaja responds to a question asked by Jayapataka Maharaja as to how those who have harinamadot_clear.gif initiation from Srila Prabhupada should select their mantra guru:

Srila Sridhara Maharaja: A disciple, he may like one-first or third or fourth or fifth [guru], how to solve that.

Tamala Krsna Maharaja: That we must solve.

Srila Sridhara Maharaja: According to his sraddha,dot_clear.gif a newcomer should be given some time. Who will come to be initiated, he should be given a fair period of time to hear from different persons and then the sraddha,dot_clear.gif the faith

Devotee: will be awakened.

Srila Sridhara Maharaja: He will consider to whom he will submit. Do you follow?

GBC Assembly: Yes.

Srila Sridhara Maharaja: The first stage is to hear, and the second stage, varan,dot_clear.gif is acceptance by the guru and the disciple. Then the sadhana,dot_clear.gif or attempt for realization, will begin. The first stage is to hear openly-fair field to hear-then the connection should come between the guru and sisyadot_clear.gif-preceptor and disciple, both sides.

Srila Sridhara Maharaja goes on to explain the difficulties that can come to arise in the guru/godbrother, guru/disciple relationship. He said, "the sisyadot_clear.gif will be greatly disturbed if he sees any other Vaisnava disturbing the absolute position of his guru. At least one place should be there where the disciples can get their guru exclusively.That will not be possible practically in such a large and expansive society as ISKCON." The darsanadot_clear.gif concludes with this advice:

Srila Sridhara Maharaja: We cannot reach a particular solution as all complete and perfect. Go with fair feeling, go on with fair feeling--this is the utmost I can suggest to you.

Tamala Krsna Maharaja: Maharaja, we are so grateful.

GBC Assembly: Jaya.

From this darsanadot_clear.gif we can see that Srila Sridhara Maharaja advised according to eternal spiritual principles. He emphasized that a disciple must have free choice in selecting a guru. Some initiating gurus did not follow this advice, however, and many devotees were forced to take initiation by a certain guru because they were in his "zone." Ironically, Srila Sridhara Maharaja was later blamed by some for the "zonal acarya" arrangement. It should be noted that the idea of zonal acaryasdot_clear.gif is not inherently bad--Srila Prabhupada himself designated the eleven gurus to initiate in the zone that they were in charge of as GBCs. When the problems that arose in the zonal acaryadot_clear.gif arrangement were brought to the attention of Srila Sridhara Maharaja, he replied as follows:

Srila Sridhara Maharaja: My suggestion to keep the unity is that a person of one zone may accept a guru of another zone. Free choice by sraddha.dot_clear.gif He who has preference for one acaryadot_clear.gif but is compelled to accept one whom he considers to be lower, that is an anomaly. That zonal arrangement is against free choice. Also, new appointments of acaryasdot_clear.gif from amongst the brothers who are considered fit, that sort of position should also be there.By sacrifice we come together. By serving attitude we come together. By assertion we separate, distance is created by self-assertion. By self-sacrifice we unite.

Srila Sridhara Maharaja brought up another point that was not well-received by some of the eleven gurus: "new appointment of acaryasdot_clear.gif from amongst the brothers who are considered fit." The lack of this, along with other problems, was creating havoc in ISKCON. In suggesting the expansion of the number of gurus, Sridhara Maharaja's opinion concurred with that of Srila Prabhupada, who stated at the time he mentioned the first eleven gurus that other "senior sannyasisdot_clear.gif" could be added as the necessity arose. Sridhara Maharaja realized the vision of Srila Prabhupada without being told of his statement regarding a provision for expansion. He also represented the heart of Srila Prabhupada with regard to his generous spirit of encouragement.

Certainly Prabhupada sought to encourage the first eleven gurus, inspiring them to rise to the occasion of the service at hand. This spirit, however, was severely lacking in the eleven gurus with respect to their regard toward the qualified godbrothers. As a result, the movement was stifled, and it was not until considerable hardship and discouragement were suffered by sincere godbrothers of the eleven gurus that in 1982 three new gurus were added. Less well-known is that this was largely due to the insistence of Srila Sridhara Maharaja, who accurately read the environment and often suggested this change. It is significant that the three new gurus immediately went to Sridhara Maharaja for his blessings. The movement sighed a breath of relief, but soon after the entire GBC rejected Sridhara Maharaja, beginning their official campaign of vilification.

Good point, we have to consider the paramapara system as Krishna's system - not ours. If there're discrepancies Krishna takes care - nobody else. It is His system, evam parampara praptam - "I have installed the parampara system - it is My system, not yours". Therefor it is Krishna's business to check who is sitting on the vyasanasana and do the needful, not ours. Why ours, Krishna will see to it. As soon some deviant sits on the vyasanana Krishna always did the needful. Why misbelief?

Yes,we have the example of Romaharsana. Balarama killed him as he sat on the big chair with a blade of grass for his disrespect. When a deviant sits on the big chair it immediately ceases to be a Vyasasana and instead becomes a Romaharasan-asana.

But we see Balarama allowing pretenders to occupy the big chair all the time, and not just Iskcon. BUT NOT IN HIS DIRECT PRESENCE WHICH IS SELF EFFULGENT. Only in the shadow world. Such scenarios are what the material world is composed of. The false guru is needed to fulfill the desire of the false disciples. They need him as much as he needs them to fulfill the fantasy. They all get their just rewards in this world but what they don't get is Balarama's direct presence.

The real representative of Krsna is the via medium of Lord Balarama and we must see the genuine devotee as the Supreme Personality of Servitor Godhead and thus Balarama Himself is there also on the Vyasasana. Full presence.

The real devotee has no desire to sit on a big chair however for the sake of the conditioned souls, Balarama who is riding in his heart as on a chariot, steers him onto the Vyasasana even by force. A genuine devotee does not choose that position on his own initiative. He is placed there by the Lord Himself.

He also reveals the true nature of His devotee to any sincere aspirant. It is not by accident or chance encounter that one finds Krsna's devotee. It is purely an act of grace by the Supreme Lord.

No ecclesiastical body of religionists is needed. No vote by the Cardinals or GBC is required. Only Krsna's grace.

Rather ritvik initiations or some other thing takes place is really irrelevant ultimately. What is needed is direct transcendental vision given by the Lord in the heart to see where to place our faith.

To show them special mercy, I, dwelling in their hearts, destroy with the shining lamp of knowledge the darkness born of ignorance.

What is going on at the Matha and what is the authorized instructions of Sridhar Maharaja don't appear to in compliance.

So, I know well the concept that Sridhar Maharaja gave in his final "declaration of spiritual succession" and I know well about the psycophants and Matha dwellers that stripped Govinda Maharaja of ritvik status and his "SEVAITE" acharya status to make him master of SCSMATH.

Misunderstood -- you're surely right, correct, but is it our business? Why are you stealing away Krishna's service of protecting His devotees? This is clearly only His departement to protect the devotees. Krishna is not dull stone - He's fully alive and whenever things are going wrong in His installed parampara system He will personally correct and help His devotees. Therefore the ritvik movement couldnt change anything but simply disunite the whole world, ritviks are simply taking a hand into Krishna's department. And because Krishna doesnt like it when people interfere into His department nothing could be accomplished. Proof: All the deviant gurus were clearly not removed by the ritvik movement but by Krishna Himself.

Well yes the problem is that global Vaishnavism is so disunited because people are to poke one's nose into matters which are soley Krishna's business - not ours.

Krishna repeats and repeats that He Himself immediately corrects whenever there're discrepancies in the parampara system and that His devotees should simply serve Him with full faith. That in this age of kali already too many fell down is sad but our business is to tolerate and simply perform devotional service. Krishna will do the needfull, He's always watching, why we should interefere into His department to keep the parampara system clean, pure and genuine? Krishna keeps the genetic code of plants functioning since millions of years, why we should be such disbelievers to think that He cant manage to keep His own parampara system clean and pure?

Yes the Parampara is always pure. We must discriminate between parampara real and apparent.

Misunderstood -- you're surely right, correct, but is it our business? Why are you stealing away Krishna's service of protecting His devotees? This is clearly only His departement to protect the devotees. Krishna is not dull stone - He's fully alive and whenever things are going wrong in His installed parampara system He will personally correct and help His devotees. Therefore the ritvik movement couldnt change anything but simply disunite the whole world, ritviks are simply taking a hand into Krishna's department. And because Krishna doesnt like it when people interfere into His department nothing could be accomplished. Proof: All the deviant gurus were clearly not removed by the ritvik movement but by Krishna Himself.

Sri Tattva Sutra 59

"How is it possible to understand this knowledge of devotional service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead without first taking shelter of a spiritual master? Now that Lord Caitanya, the teacher of all saintly Vaisnavas who know the spiritual truth, has appeared in this world, there is no need for any other teacher".

Bhaktivinode

Yes the Parampara is always pure. We must discriminate between parampara real and apparent.

By now newcomers have learned that Krishna removes neophyte gurus with different methods of His handwriting which arent fully qualified to sit on the vyasasana and even if some havent learned from the past but become within their hearts, by reading Prabhupada's books, devotees of Krishna, Krishna will surely always protect such rare souls and ultimately show them the right path.

When we see gurus falling down one by one, even like epidemic fall down, this is Krishna's problem not ours. If Krishna considers these people to be removed from sitting on the vyasasana, whoever appointed them in the first place, then why is this my problem? What happened when the ritvik movement started to grow? The GBC did the opposite, appointed even more gurus. To speak of our responsibility for installing a safety system, this is another meddling into Krishna's department. Krishna is the only real safety system.

False gurus is a topic since the creation of the universe, Krishna is well aware of this problem and surely knows endless stories of pseudo gurus throughout creation and also has the best ways of treating this problem. Therefore He Himself created a parampara system which only He Himself controls. It is clearly His department only to sort out swindlers and to protect the devotees, not anybody else's.

Srila Sridhar Maharaja very deliberately, decisively and directly used ritvik terminology in regards to passing on his succession in his official and formal declaration of spiritual succession.

It was no accident.

It was no blip.

It was no slip.

It was no blunder.

It was a very deliberate and decisive pronouncement that I am sure he had years to ponder.

It's not up to you or me or anyone else to say that the ritvik concept is the death of ISKCON or the parampara.

That is just mental mushrooms popping-up in your head.

The wisdom and forethought of Sridhar Maharaja are far beyond your miniscule rational thinking process and decisive factor.

Your determination of the danger and destructive result of a ritvik system is just speculations and imagination.

One thing we don't have to speculate about or imagine in our minds is the final instructions of Sridhar Maharaja regarding his spiritual succession and his appointing Govinda Maharaja as ritvik.

This instruction of Sridhar Maharaja has more wisdom, power and beauty to it than all our imaginative thoughts about how bad it would be if we just followed the acharyas instead of trying to second-guess them.

If ritvik was the death of ISKCON and SCSMatha, Srila Prabhupada and Sridhar Maharaja would not have implemented such measures.

Claims of the death and destruction of ISKCON and SCSMatha if the instructions of the acharyas were actually followed is just our little minds refusing to accept that inconceivability is always an issue we have to deal with when approaching the infinite.

The infinite can't be caged-up or bottled-up with stereotypes.

But, our nature is to try to do that anyway.