IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
cbrahma

Preaching

Rate this topic

Guest guest

OK, thanks. In my opinion, if they were distributing maha-prasadam, that is just as well. Anything that can deliver the mercy of the Lord.

I don't believe that cbrahma has clarified this. Maybe I'm missing something. We will have to wait until he posts again.

Bhaktisiddhanta adopted both forms of dress for members of his mission, coining the maxim: 'Books are the basis, purity is the force, preaching is the essence, utility is the princi Bhaktisiddhanta adopted both forms of dress for members of his mission, coining the maxim: 'Books are the basis, purity is the force, preaching is the essence, utility is the princi

On the thread, Quotes of Narayana Maharaja on Prabhupada 's Books, you wrote:

I think you need to read this:...]

Here's another quote from somebody quoting. My mistake it wasn't Prabhupada that coined the phrase. Bhaktisiddhanta coined it and so I'm sure Prabhupada must have quoted him, since he was present when this slogan was the mainstay of every sankirtan mission at the time.

In his day the Rama Krsna Mission had already become popular and the members of this group wore saffron cloth. British Imperialist culture dominated India at that time and this ruling culture was epitomised by grey suits and boots. Rather uniquely, Bhaktisiddhanta adopted both forms of dress for members of his mission, coining the maxim: 'Books are the basis, purity is the force, preaching is the essence, utility is the principle'.

http://www.iskcon.com/icj/3_1/kripamoya.html

On the thread, Quotes of Narayana Maharaja on Prabhupada 's Books, you wrote:

I think you need to read this:...

Since you weren't there, you can only speculate about what I heard or chose to hear.

There is a lot of concurrence on this thread from others who have heard similar things in these scamkirtan marathons.

It was introspection that got me to thinking (sorry about that, I don't know if that's allowed but anyway it is introspection).

The thinking then made me realize that this Monster Money Rally is exactly like a corporate pep sales rally, rewarding the high achievers and discouraging the low achievers. There was applaud over the Laksmi point results (didn't imagine that).

The effect it has, the image it projects isn't just a 'how'. It is a 'what'.

One can then motivate disciples to achieve over others, berating the less successful.

The benefit is all to the leaders who rake in the moola.

I guess I'm the corrupt one who expects spiritual activity to be gauged by sincerity attitude and devotion rather than quantified on a sliding scale of sankirtan numbers.

Rather than hear the number of books distributed, you chose to observe how it was announced, thereby missing the essence.

Those that cheered, they just heard the numbers of books distributed and encouraged others by the cheering. You need to indulge in some self-introspection of your attitude Cbrahma. It'll do you a lot of good.

02/25/77

Trivikrama: He has brought you one Chinese script.

Hari-zauri: What does it say?

Devotee (3): This is Chinese character scroll. It says, "Books are the basis, preaching is the essence, utility is the principle, and purity is the force." It was translated wholly by myself, and the characters were written by...

PrabhupAda: Is that all right?

Devotee (5): I can read, but I don't write. Ah... That's not purity. It should be... It's not so exact.

PrabhupAda: What did he say in the trans...?

Devotee (5): It's cleanliness rather than purity.

Bali-mardana: He has translated purity as "cleanliness," not quite exact.

What would you accept as proof? Since your counter is another quote from somebody else.

Swami B.G. Narasingha:

... "Prabhupada said" - but did you know that His Divine Grace never said this!

If you have the facility of the Folio then simply key in the above "slogan" and see for yourself.

I don't have the Folio but I know others who do. They have also done finds on the "books are the basis...purity is the force" slogan and no one who I have spoken to has ever been able to find Prabhupada saying this.

Bhaktisiddhanta adopted both forms of dress for members of his mission, coining the maxim: 'Books are the basis, purity is the force, preaching is the essence, utility is the princi Bhaktisiddhanta adopted both forms of dress for members of his mission, coining the maxim: 'Books are the basis, purity is the force, preaching is the essence, utility is the principle'

I have never heard anyone say that [srila] Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur] ever mentioned this. And then there is the definitive answer in post #33 that gHari has just given.

Kind of like the "Law books for the next 10,000 years" statement not actually being in Prabhupada's books or anywhere in the Folio. All we are left with is what Satsvarupa remembers he thought Prabhupada say. Just a bunch of hearsay.

The post is from the same source. (One and only) Just like my post.

Are all the lectures on the Folio?

I don't have the Folio but I know others who do. They have also done finds on the "books are the basis...purity is the force" slogan and no one who I have spoken to has ever been able to find Prabhupada saying this.

I have never heard anyone say that [srila] Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur] ever mentioned this. And then there is the definitive answer in post #33 that gHari has just given.

Well this a far cry from hearsay since it was believed in every single temple I've been to.

I search the vedabase and got

06. Compilations (from Srila Prabhupada's words)

• Sri Namamrta - The Nectar of the Holy Name
  • Preaching Is The Essence
  • Spiritual Master and Disciple
  • Varnasrama-dharma
  • Siksamrta (Nectar from Srila Prabhupada's Letters) (NEW)

http://vedabase.com/index.php?main=features&content=contents

I don't have the vedabase on this computer. Suffice it to say this is not a typical "Prabhupada said". There are so many high level devotees in and outside of ISKCON who believe it. In other words it is not anecdotal.

Especially when the only counter is one Prabupada did not say. It is grasping at straws and proves nothing.

Please post the quotes.

It is grasping at straws and proves nothing.

Look I'm open either way. I just want to know. The Prabhupada conversation gHari has posted on #33 on this thread is all that I have ever seen. It is also quoted by Satsvarupa Maharaja in "The Lilamrta" but no reference is given. Most older non-GBC supporting devotees do not accept the post Prabhupada lila BBT Publications: "Sri Namamrta", "Preaching is the Essence", "The Spiritual Master and Disciple", "Varnasrama-dharma" and "Siksamrta" as being reliable because of who edited them. If I turn out to be wrong no biggy. But I don't think that you've really given us anything solid like gHari has on #33. Narasingha Maharaja is an old Prabhupada disciple who took sannyasa from Sridhar Maharaja. He's got a huge ego but he's usually extremely careful when he puts up factual things in publications or on the internet. (factual not opinions or interpretations) So I really don't mistrust what I read on post #19. I mean, what if it turns out to be anecdotal and the fact that many devotees accept it turns out to be meaningless. It might just be the case. Can you handle it?

There are more important places to put my energy at this point.

Look I'm open either way. I just want to know. The Prabhupada conversation gHari has posted on #33 on this thread is all that I have ever seen. It is also quoted by Satsvarupa Maharaja in "The Lilamrta" but no reference is given. Most older non-GBC supporting devotees do not accept the post Prabhupada lila BBT Publications: "Sri Namamrta", "Preaching is the Essence", "The Spiritual Master and Disciple", "Varnasrama-dharma" and "Siksamrta" as being reliable because of who edited them. If I turn out to be wrong no biggy. But I don't think that you've really given us anything solid like gHari has on #33. Narasingha Maharaja is an old Prabhupada disciple who took sannyasa from Sridhar Maharaja. He's got a huge ego but he's usually extremely careful when he puts up factual things in publications or on the internet. (factual not opinions or interpretations) So I really don't mistrust what I read on post #19. I mean, what if it turns out to be anecdotal and the fact that many devotees accept it turns out to be meaningless. It might just be the case. Can you handle it?