IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

question about composition of maha-mantra

Rate this topic

Haribol.

My feelings towards the maha-mantra is. I seem to perceive a mantra to be for example 'Om Namah Sivaya' or the Gayatri Mantra.

But inside the hare krishna maha-mantra, the names of hare, krishna, rama are repeated again and again. If the mantra was for example-

hare krishna rama, (3 syllables). I think in my mind it would sit well.

Why are the names repeated like this? I am not questioning the authenticity,

But what is the need to repeat 16 times (16 syllables)?

Please paste me something if you know it, or tell me if you know.

I need to know why it is repeated, in this systematic way.

I would like it said by Prabhupada, if you can find it.

From the Kalisantaranopanisad:

"These (sixteen names) destroy the Avarana (or the centripetal force which produces the sense of individuality) of Jiva surrounded by the sixteen Kalas (rays). Then like the sphere of the sun which shines fully after the clouds (screening it) disperse, Parabrahman (alone) shines."

http://www.yrec.info/Kali-Santarana-Upanishad.php

Haribol.

My feelings towards the maha-mantra is. I seem to perceive a mantra to be for example 'Om Namah Sivaya' or the Gayatri Mantra.

But inside the hare krishna maha-mantra, the names of hare, krishna, rama are repeated again and again. If the mantra was for example-

hare krishna rama, (3 syllables). I think in my mind it would sit well.

Why are the names repeated like this? I am not questioning the authenticity,

But what is the need to repeat 16 times (16 syllables)?

Please paste me something if you know it, or tell me if you know.

I need to know why it is repeated, in this systematic way.

I would like it said by Prabhupada, if you can find it.

Prabhuji, you should read "The Nectar of the Holy Name" by Srila Prabhupada. He explains that the Maha-mantra is arranged nicely in that order for "Dusting off our hearts."

Srila Prabhupada said the best way to engage in devotional service is by chanting the Holy Names. (Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.)

I'll have some more quotes from the book for you tomorrow Prabhuji. I'm just returning from school so I do not have the book with me.

Hare Krsna

Seems like an impersonal translation. (translated by an impersonalist).

I find them discusting, as I am a personalist, hare krishna.

It is a translation of the text, that is all. I don´t see why you are mixing the impersonalists (whoever they are...) into this.

TRANSLATION CC Antya-lila 1.99

“I do not know how much nectar the two syllables ‘Krs-na’ have produced. When the holy name of Krsna is chanted, it appears to dance within the mouth. We then desire many, many mouths. When that name enters the holes of the ears, we desire many millions of ears. And when the holy name dances in the courtyard of the heart, it conquers the activities of the mind, and therefore all the senses become inert.”

PURPORT

This verse is included in the Vidagdha-mädhava (1.15), a seven-act play written by Srila Rüpa Gosvami describing the pastimes of Sri Krsna in Vrndavana.

Sri Caitanya-caritamrita Madhya 25.63-64:

<center>
zekhara, paramAnanda, tapana, sanAtana

cAri-jana mili' kare nAma-saGkIrtana

</center>

zekhara--Candrazekhara; paramAnanda--ParamAnanda PurI; tapana--Tapana Mizra; sanAtana--SanAtana GosvAmI; cAri-jana mili'--all four of them; kare--perform; nAma-saGkIrtana--chanting of the Hare KRSNa mantra.

There were four people accompanying SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu, and these were Candrazekhara, ParamAnanda PurI, Tapana Mizra and SanAtana GosvAmI. They were all chanting the Hare KRSNa mahA-mantra in the following way.

<center>

"haraye namaH kRSNa yAdavAya namaH

gopAla govinda rAma zrI-madhusUdana"

</center>

haraye--unto the Supreme Personality of Godhead; namaH--obeisances; kRSNa--Lord KRSNa; yAdavAya--to the descendant of the Yadu family; namaH--obeisances; gopAla--GopAla; govinda--Govinda; rAma--RAma; zrI-madhusUdana--SrI MadhusUdana.

They chanted, "Haraye namaH kRSNa yAdavAya namaH, gopAla govinda rAma zrI-madhusUdana."

PURPORT

This is another way of chanting the Hare KRSNa mahA-mantra
. The meaning is as follows: "I offer my respectful obeisances unto the Supreme Personality of Godhead, KRSNa. He is the descendant of the Yadu family. Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto GopAla, Govinda, RAma and SrI MadhusUdana."

I notice that this looks somewhat like the chant offered at the end of the Siddhaswarupananda videos.