IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ThusArtThou

Becoming Hindu

Rate this topic

Hello:

I went to the local Shiva/Rama temple yesterday to ask for guidance in my quest or conversion to the Hindu faith. I waited quietly for the priest to finish a puja and then asked for assistance. He nonchalantly told me to "get some books" and just come to temple and "do it"! I was surprised at his attitude, not sure if it was real or if it was because I am female and caucasian.

Is this how I am supposed to follow my new faith? By just doing it?

Also: Is it a fact that to fully convert I will have to have my name legally changed to a Hindu name as given by a priest and ceremony?

Please I'd appreciate your experience and guidance, not flaming or ridicule. This is a serious endeavor for me and I will do what I have to to embrace this new faith.

thanx

ThusArtThou:ponder:

:)Please do not be disheartened that you may have not recieved a satisfying answer to your question and search from the pujari. I can relate somewhat to how you may feel. I remember when I used to drive about 3 hours some years back to go to a temple, I would sit at the temple and not be able to find anyone who had the time to share deeply. Internally I was desperate to express my sincerity in this search for new faith, but could not find anyone who had the time. I hope for you that you may find someone to assist you with your desires.

This pujari that you talked to has recommended you read some books. This is good advice. I do not know how much you have read about Hinduism but finding some books that can give some introduction about hinduism would be good. Where to start reading is the question?

You mentioned in your post about about conversion; here may be a good point to start your reading. From a christian or some other religious perspective there may be a percieved need of conversion. But in so called Hindu thought this word, "conversion" may not be applicable.

I am a Krsna consciousness devotee, and some months back I was talking to an Indian born lady who is a worshipper of Shiva. I mentioned the word Hindu to her and she replied, "we due not use the bodily designation of Hindu but we practice Sanatana Dharma".

So I would first recommend you search out and study, what this Sanatana Dharma is. It can be very simply translated as Eternal Occupation. The first key in understanding would be to question who you are. If you look deeply enough you will come to realise that you are not all these material designations; this body, this name, american, australian, christian, hindu etc, etc. But in fact you are a spirit soul, which is an eternal minute fragment of the Great Spirit which is God. And by then realising that you are an eternal part and particle of the Absolute you may then question what is your relationship or duty to this Absolute/God. There is the key to your Sanatana Dharma (eternal occupation) beyond all these material designations such as Australian, Hindu, Christian or whatever they may be.

So as you begin to realise that your original nature is spirit soul and not all these bodily designations the word conversion may not be applicable any more. Rather than conversion you may begin to understand that it is more of an awakening to who you really are, your original nature, a particle of God. A servant of God.

Since Sanatana Dharma is the scientific, universal and eternal religion of the spirit soul it can be additionally practiced by everyone and anyone belonging to any nations or religions of this world. This is because every living entity whether it be a American, Indian or Chinese or whether it be a Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist or whether it be a human being, animal, tree, bird or insect, it is a spirit soul, part and parcel of the Supreme Lord.Since Sanatana Dharma is not a bodily religion but the only factual religion of the soul, it has nothing to do with the process of conversion of a person from one external religion to another. It can be practiced simultaneously in addition to the practice of one's present religion. Sanatana Dharma will help a Christian to become a better Christian, a Muslim to become a better Muslim, a Hindu to become a better Hindu and so on because it stems from the very basic nature of the soul. There is only one actual religion of the soul which is unchangeable and unconvertible since it is the integral nature of the soul. This is to serve and love the Lord and it is thus known as Santana Dharma.

Also regarding your question about change of name. I have a spiritual name but on my birth certificate, drivers licence etc my birth name is still used. Though, I love my spiritual name as it describes nicely who I am in relation to this Sanatana Dharma.

For me I basically researched the religion. When I decided it was the right religion for me I called myself a Hindu, since there are no temples where I live to go to a priest and express my feelings on the religion. I am still learning but I have no plans on going back to Chrisitanity. Hinduism is more for me than any other religion. Even Lord Vishnu gave me a sign in a dream that I chose the right religion for myself.

ISKON is one of rare organizations that have some kind of conversion in the sense of making one par of the Hindu tradition, at least in their eyes. Maybe even the only one. Actually maybe even the only one. You might have more yoga etc cantered organizations that will give you spiritual names, mantra dikshas and even initiate westerns to sannyas but you won't get the initiations a born Hindu gets, you wont become a Brahmin and get a sacred thread (well in case you were a man) etc.. but then why should you? This reminds me of a saintly poet of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> who in a song expressed his gratitude to be from a low caste and so not obligated to perform strict rituals prescribed to twice-born (the tree upper castes) and was free just to adore the Lord..

Hinduism is not a missionary religion. Actually Hinduism is not a religion, it is a lot of sects connected by a moral code, social structure, the Vedas and a few basic believes. But actually most of them respect most of the Vedas only nominally and base their different believes on different Upanishads, Puranas etc. , their different commentaries and explanations.

Some of these sects are missionary oriented, but they propagate certain philosophies and practices, they do not make you a Hindu. A jnani, a yogi, a bhakta.. yes, but not a Hindu. In a lot of ways Hinduism can be compared to the Jewish religion. They are more of a national religion, and can't be separate from the nationality in the way you do with Christianity or Buddhism. Actually Christianity or Buddhism can be compared to Vaishnavism or Mayavada – sects and systems of belief and practices that Hindus can take while being at the same time all Hindus (actually Christianity or Budhism will take you out of the Hindu system but I'm using the compression just for an illustration. Even then I suppose being an Indian born Christian will make you more Hindu than being a Caucasian “Hindu”). In a board sense you can also say that you already are a Hindu if you understand Hinduism as the Sanathan Dharma principle encompassing all of humanity beyond different religions and schools ,,, Though I suppose that would make us some kind of marginalized outcasts :D Well I’m not at all sure how the Hindus think about this…

As I said ISKCON has a little different attitude and I think you can even get a Brahmin initiation. Bt that is an exception and I wouldn't be so sure that a lot of Indians outside this sampraday would consider them genuine Brahmins as they are not born in a Brahmin family.

The logic followed by ISKCON is that one is not a Brahmin by birth but by developing the qualities of a Brahmin, and there are instances in the scriptures to support this, but as I said it is more an exemption than a rule and I'm not sure they are accepted as Brahmins in the general Indian society though they can be accepted as vaishnavas.

From this standpoint saying that you want to be a Hindu is like saying that you want to be an Indian or a men or a stone. Maybe that is not right but it is usually so and I have the impression that Hinduism is a strong mix of faith, nationality, family structure, social norms and relations and you will never be a real Hindu. The priest (if it was an “orginal” Indian thin, not an ISCON temple) possibly just wanted to give a polite answer to another newager that wants to become a Hindu after seeing a few nice ochre robed fellows not hawing actually a clue what Hinduism is.

If you want to be „a Hindu“ learn Sanskrit, start studying the scriptures, read a lot of books, visit India etc. Not being a Hindu you still can get all the benefit from the scriptures and sadhanas, as well as becoming a Hindu you can remain the same and not change anything for the better. Actually I don't se why should that be of any importance, as I see it is more becoming a part of a social structure than a spiritual process.

If I got a wrong impression I hope that there are people of Indian origin on the forum that can correct me...

Like I said above: I researched it and liked it therefore I realized it was the right religion for me. Or if I were to be more correct the Vedic religion. I don't think I should go back to Christianity because I'm caucasian, I'm staying Hindu because it is right for me.See? In fact I was miserable as a Christian.

I understand but I don’t see the connection... maybe I have some wrong ideas about this. You left Christianity to became a Vaishnava... but in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> you are a stranger all the same...

I know in ISKCON you have even the traditional initiation a regular Hindu gets but usually that is not the case. If you are attracted by Indian spiritual traditions you might find a guru who might initiate you in his tradition. Usually by mantra diksha, but not always. That is all that is needed for our sadhana and spirituality, doesn't really meter to become more orthodox than a south Indian Brahmin...

You might even get a spiritual name. Some teachers do this as a usual practice (like giving you a new birth) but probably if you insist others will get up with a name too just to make you happy. So that we might go around in loose “yogalike” clothes with Sanskrit verses or chakra pictures on them, putting some „vegetarian smiles“ and „enlightened expressions“ to show to the world and our egos how different from those average people we now are... but all this is just a children's play, doesn't matter much. What meters is our devotion, studies, practices and if we have a genuine teacher our relationship with him.

P.S. if I got it right ThusArtThou is not speaking about becaming a vaishnava and about ISKCON so I'm also talking in this manner, for a convinced member of your sampradaya all is clear after all and this questions would not be asked, isn't it?

Well of course devotion, studies, and practices matters. Not merely that you weren't born an Indian. I feel no connection to Christianity whatsoever, I feel a very,very strong connection with the Vedic tradition and even with Lord Vishnu himself. It shouldn't depend on your race but on what is right for you. I would be stranger in India, you're right, but I could care less as long as I am connected with Lord Vishnu. :)

I thought 'hindu' was a misnomer by some invaders, not a religion.

Sanathana Dharma would be more accurate. Hindu was used by English first (to describe everything beyond the <st1:place w:st="on">Indus</st1:place> river) but as Indians accepted it themselves I thin it is not inappropriate to use it. As there are so many sects this is a word for something connecting them all... and as I said it seems to me to be more of en ritualistic, historic and social than of theological an philosophical nature.

Well of course devotion, studies, and practices matters. Not merely that you weren't born an Indian. I feel no connection to Christianity whatsoever, I feel a very,very strong connection with the Vedic tradition and even with Lord Vishnu himself. It shouldn't depend on your race but on what is right for you. I would be stranger in India, you're right, but I could care less as long as I am connected with Lord Vishnu. :)

And I think that is the right attitude. :)

But first post, unless I misunderstood her problem, it is about becoming a Hindu, not a Vaishnava or Shakta or following another Indian system and actually I don’t see the point in becoming a Hindu in that „worldly and technical“ sense nor does that seem possible.

And I think that is the right attitude. :)

But first post, unless I misunderstood her problem, it is about becoming a Hindu, not a Vaishnava or Shakta or following another Indian system and actually I don’t see the point in becoming a Hindu in that „worldly and technical“ sense nor does that seem possible. <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Yeah, I think anyone who basically follows the Vedic tradition pretty much calls themselves "Hindus" but I prefer Vaishnava :)

Actually I’m not sure what does she want. Maybe if she feels like telling us more about what attracts her in Hinduism, what is she looking for.. I suppose it is not the attraction to a particular sampradaya or teacher as in that case she would get the answers there. … I would really like to hear more about her attraction to Hinduism…

I thought 'hindu' was a misnomer by some invaders, not a religion. posted by trixie_napoleon

:)

(Adapted from the writings and teachings of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.) Some may feel that Sanatana Dharma is related to Hindusim but it is not exactly like that. Sanatana Dharma is the real Vedic, scientific and universal religion for one and all. It is real and authorized Vedic religion. One will not find the word Hindu in the Bhagavad-gita. Indeed, there is no such word as Hindu in the entire Vedic literature. This word has been introduced by the Muslims from provinces next to India, such as Afghanistan, Baluchistan, and Persia. There is a river called Sindhu bordering the north western provinces of India, and since the Muslims there could not pronounce Sindhu properly, they instead called the river Hindu, and the inhabitants of this tract of land they called Hindus. This word Hindu is not a Sanskrit word. It was given by the Muhammadans. You know that there is a river, Indus, which in Sanskrit is called Sindhu. The Muhammadans pronounce "s" as "h". Instead of Sindhu, they made it Hindu. So Hindu is a term that is not found in the original Sanskrit dictionaries, but it has come into use. The people known as Hindus in the world, the Hindu is a term given by the Mohammedans, from "Indus." Indus River is there. Now it is in Pakistan. So people beyond the Indus River, the Mohammedans in Arabia and other countries, they pronounce "s" as "h". Instead of "Sindhu," they used to pronounce it as "Hindu." So people living, crossing the river Indus or Hindus, they were called "Hindus."

:)

As far as converting, the ritual isn't as important as the practice and belief. So in that sense, the priest has given good advice for you to study the scriptures and just start applying the teachings in your life. There are some rituals that you may undertake, but they vary according to which path of Hinduism you follow. So first figure out your path and practice it, later a guru will come who can initiate you.

Hello and thank you all for your fantastic support and interest in my question!

First let me say that I know that "hindu" is not a correct term for this great and wonderous religious path we have chosen to walk. But, for a lack of a better term I chose ""Hindu".

While talking to one of the Indian women at the temple I asked her if they (meaning all attendees) prayed at either or both the Rama and or Shiva temple. The woman gave me the most beautiful of answers: she said "we pray to all the Gods". Yes! Absolutely! The Divine Ganesha is present! Krishna! Shiva!

Unfortunately, the books the priest wanted me to read are all in Tamil or Sanskrit (they have Sanskrit classes there) or some other language; however, my fine lady told me they have English books in the library.

I thought long and hard about ISKCON; I frequent many ISKCON websites and I read The Bhagavad Gita as It Is as well as other publications at work and at home. I am not interested in joining an organized group at this time.

Thank you all again for your support!

ThusArtThou

The important thing for you to know now is that you are seeking God, the same God, only in a different way. Ultimately it has to do with your desire to know Him. The Vedic religion offers many methods or yogic processes to help you move your attention from the temporary material world drama, onward towards the eternal life with God. Focussing on Him, He is so lovable, that it is easy to fall in love with Him. Then it is only time before you will find Him at the center of your life.

You may now wear a sari and eat vegetarian foods, but it is the same scenario as it ever was: how to increase your desire for God. Don't get caught up in the exotic trappings of being a vaishnava Hindu. That is only external. It is a change of heart that we all seek. And that will come.

This is the best first step: http://vedabase.net/bg/en and it is important to remember that it is more than a book - it is a process, a life process that takes you from exactly where you are now to God, Sri Krsna. Live in the Gita as much as you can. Krsna Himself says that by studying His conversation with Arjuna you are worshipping Him with your intelligence. Let that connection blossom, and you will have your desired result. Caitanya Mahaprabhu confirmed that you need not change your life circumstances or join any group. You need only to turn to God; He will happily arrange the rest.

gHari

ThusArtThou,

it is really interesting and refreshing to hear from you, and to hear about your journey. It is exciting and inspires me onward with my journey.

One thing I like about this Audarya Forum is that there is such diversity of approach, but at the same time many things are in common.

Guest guest

Yeah, I think anyone who basically follows the Vedic tradition pretty much calls themselves "Hindus" but I prefer Vaishnava :)

Yes, western caucasian/hispanic/african followers of Sanatana Dharma (no matter what denomination we are) fall under the religious classification of Hinduism...

Certain western Vaisnavas hesitant to use the word Hindu, soon found out by not identifying themselves as 'Hindu' when speaking of their sect, they were easily being mislabeled a new religious cult by outsiders. Thus, the need to make sure people became aware that the Krishna Consciousness movement was a part of the ancient Vedic/Hindu tradition; and is not some psuedo new sect. No one respects new religious groups (look at all the cult watch groups on the net) with the same respect as they do the major world religions. Thus, even though we are spirit souls and really have no labels, for matters dealing in the outer world, we must correctly identify our tradition as to avoid confusion.

A lot more people in the west are familiar with the term Hindu/Hinduism, than terms like Smarta/Saivite/Shakta/Vaisnava, etc, in the west... The truth is, Hindu is the term that has become widely accepted as the proper designation for someone who follows any Vedic tradition. Thus, I see nothing wrong with anyone saying they are Hindu, if they are a follower of a Vedic tradition. No need to be nitpicky over semantics. Then after saying we are part of the greater 'Hindu' tradition, we can more clearly define our tradition to those interested in learning more about our beliefs.

Thus, even though we are spirit souls and really have no labels, for matters dealing in the outer world, we must correctly identify our tradition as to avoid confusion.

A lot more people in the west are familiar with the term Hindu/Hinduism, than terms like Smarta/Saivite/Shakta/Vaisnava, etc, in the west...

I find the same thing guest. Considering where I live there is very little religious diversity. Maybe three or four muslim families and only christian churches. So as you say, in dealing with the outer world, when people are inquisitive and ask me questions I have found the starting point is to refer to hinduism. And then if the conversation evolves to discuss sanatana dharma. The majority of people I have talked to here have not even heard of the term Hare Krsna devotee. And the one's who have often say, "when I go to the city I no longer see the Hare Krsna's, where have they gone?"