IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
jay74

Pranayama vs Upanayanam!!

Rate this topic

Hi,

Currently I do Sandhya Vandhanam (Upanayanam) in the evenings. There is a part which I do Pranayama as part of the entire process.

I would like to skip Upanayanam and just meditate on Pranayama.

Is this advisable?

I would say that unless one has been given the mantra by a satguru, the effects of chanting gayatri will be minimal. Chanting of mantras shouldn't be given up all together, but in the Kali yuga it is more beneficial to chant nama mantras such as om namo narayanaya, om namo bhagavate vasudevaya, hare krishna, etc. You can take up chanting a nama mantra for 15 minutes a day, and then spend the rest of the time in meditation. Pranayama is for making the mind peaceful so that you can meditate. Don't give up meditation for pranayama, as the purpose of pranayama is to help you to meditate. And meditation should be on the divine. Fix the form or Narayana in your mind, mentally recite His mantra, and sit in meditation each day at the sandhyas.

Fix the form or Narayana in your mind, mentally recite His mantra, and sit in meditation each day at the sandhyas.

I did try once to fix my mind, and I got an instant realisation that very same day. I came to realise that the mind is mega hard to be kept fixed. The same thing happens when I do chant the nama hare krishna mantra. My mind would just drift away.

Its amazing you know, I have Govinda in front of me, and yet my mind would travel repeatedly, thinking of stuffs that happened 10years back, thinking about the future plans, thinking what shall I cooked, thinking how unlucky I am not having my mum here to cook for me.

My mind would be fixed, yes on everything else ,apart from Govinda who is just standing in front of me and on whom i was supposed to have the mind fixed. I know its an offence, but I just dont have any control over my mind.

I have read the gita which states how unsteady is the mind but I now got the realisation of it. Anyone having some advice of how to control the mind, that would be kool.

Haribol