IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

new form of addiction

Rate this topic

Guest guest

No Mobile Can Mean Lots Of Stress

http://www.ananova.com/business/story/sm_1698074.html?menu=

Mobile phone users can feel stressed and anxious if they are separated from their handsets for long periods, a new survey has revealed.

Virgin Mobile describes the condition as a new form of addiction.

Its survey of 2,000 people showed that 90% were "obsessed" with checking their phone at least once an hour.

Four out of five felt uneasy if their phone was out of reach for a prolonged period of time - while 84% said they never let their handsets out of their sight.

Meanwhile, one in seven users admitted suffering anxiety if separated from their mobile.

Losing a mobile phone is worse than losing a wallet or house keys, according to 60% of respondents.

David Nott, addiction treatment manager at the Priory Hospital Marchwood in Southampton, was consulted by Virgin Mobile about the study.

"People are beginning to treat their mobiles as human beings because they symbolise contact, friendship and attention," he said.

"This leads to people relying on them for affection and feeling needed - classic separation anxiety, akin to when a child is separated from its mother."

Yes this makes sense and can be seen as a pyscho/emotional addiction. This communication device is just being used as a tool for endless non stop chattering about nonsense. I often see two people walking together down the street and they are both carrying on conversations with third parties over the phone and ignoring the person they are walking with.

We can see this as maya intensifying her powers of distraction over the conditioned souls. We mixed devotee types have a real fight on our hands. If we must talk about wordly things for work they must be kept to the bare minimum. Or if talking about Krsna then talk all day but if not then leave it off.

addiction.gif

Internet Stress Survey

wvine.gif

This nine item survey is designed to test your tendency to become addicted to the 'Net. Please review each of the questions below and make a note of how many times you answer "Yes." After completing the survey, click the button below that best corresponds to your score, and you will be taken to a special report for your score.

1. <FORM></FORM>
  2. </STRONG>Do you spend more time than you think you should surfing the 'Net?
    <INPUT type=checkbox>Yes <INPUT type=checkbox>No
  3. Do you feel you have a problem limiting the time you spend on the 'Net?
  4. Have any of your friends or family members complained about the time you spend at your computer?
  5. Do you find it hard to stay away from the 'Net for several days at a time?
  6. Has either your work output or your personal relationships suffered as a result of spending too much time on the 'Net?
  7. Are there particular areas of the 'Net, or types of files, you find hard to resist?
  8. Do you have troubling controlling your impulses to purchase items, products, or services on the 'Net?
  9. Have you tried, unsuccessfully, to curtail your use of the 'Net?
  10. Do you derive much of your pleasure and satisfaction in life from being on the 'Net?
<HR width="75%">How Did You Do?

03yes.gif

If you gave 0-3 Yes Answers

If you scored between 0-3 yes answers on this survey--congratulations! You probably have very little tendency to become addicted to the 'Net. Please feel free to review the following special report: Common Causes Of Computer Related Stress.

<HR width="50%">79yes.gif

If you gave 7-9 Yes Answers

You may very well be addicted to the 'Net. Please feel free to review the following special report: What To Do If You Are (Or Fear That You May Become) Addicted To The 'Net.

<HR width="50%">If you gave 4-6 Yes Answers, you may want to read both reports.

If you scored 4 yes answers, you may or may not have a tendency to become addicted to the 'Net. If you scored 5 or 6 yes answers, you may have a greater chance of developing a problem. Please feel free to review one or both of the following special reports:

1. What To Do If You Are (Or Fear That You May Become) Addicted To The 'Net; or
  2. Common Causes Of Computer Related Stress.

Mobile phone addiction is just like computer addiction. Are you sitting at a computer right now? Are you logged on to the Internet? So you are an addict too...(if you spend daily more than 2 hours in this way without professional interests). Digital technology has made us all addicts of some sort. Especially when you're living alone and don't have so much association. This morning my internet connection failed and all what I've been doing is trying to get it fixed. Now it's fixed (mysteriously after running my anti-spyware program and removing one sort of suspious cookie) and I am happy again. So I am an addict to the Internet, just like some may be addicted to Gaming. I just heard that the Chinese government is worried about their youth, because 60% of them is spending many hours a day on playing games on the computer and their mobile phones. It's a huge problem, and they expect it will only get bigger....

Personally I am one of the last persons who don't have a mobile phone. I just don't need it, and it's too expensive. A few weeks ago I witnessed some funny scene on the street. I was looking out of the window below and I saw one young woman talking on her mobile - I could literally understand what she was saying. She asked one question, and got no reply. She totally panicked and freaked out, screeming: "Oh, my battery is finished! I have to go upstairs now!" She was practically crying with anxiety. Then I realized how people are addicted to this thing.

Are you sitting at a computer right now? Are you logged on to the Internet? So you are an addict too...(if you spend daily more than 2 hours in this way without professional interests).

This is all true, but arent we using our addiction in Krishna's service and our addiction is transformed into remembering Krishna?

There are nine kinds of devotional service: Sravana (hearing), kirtana (chanting), smarana (remembering) , pada sevanam (serving the lotus feet) arcanam (worshipping):, vandanam (offering prayers), dasyam (servitude), sakhyam (friendship), and atma-nivedanam (self-surrender).. If even one of the nine processes of bhakti can be perfectly performed, one is guaranteed full perfection in life, what to speak if one can perform more than one or even all nine. The first eight processes are represented by the eight petals of the lotus and atma-nivedana (self-surrender) is the center whorl of the lotus.

So, there's clearly no prohibition to surf for Krishna.:deal: