IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

Roleplaying Games?

Rate this topic

As some of you already know I just recently converted form Buddhism to Hinduism. So I'm not very familiar to the beliefs and customs within. I'm trying to learn and I plan on visiting a Boston Iskcon center in a couple of weeks.

Ive been wondering about the kind of games I play..

I play Roleplaying Games.. Like Dungeons and Dragons.. I play many different kinds of roleplaying games but they are all roleplaying. There is violence in these games depending on the storyline and who is playing.. Personaly I see no problem with these games. Some people like to claim that you can lose your mind in these games.. That is total nonsense. Small children play roles all the time.. "I'm Batman!", "I'm a dreaded pirate!".. If children can handle such concepts how moreso an Adult?..

I then think well the games are violent at times but when I examine myself in comparison to these games.. They do not influence my actions in real life.. for example: I will not even deliberatly kill a Mosquito.. I have great compassion In real life.. Doesnt that mean that these games are not degrading my morality?

Any thoughts?

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!

You are speaking from a very subjective point of view. Now, i assume you are a vegetarian for you say you do not even kill a mosquito...which is very good. Since you have a certain knowledge about God and so forth and that your personality is not violent by nature, playing games like this is ok for you because it will not impact you per se.

However, in a very broad sense, on a larger scale, taking into account different types of children with different social and mental backgrounds, these games can act as catalyst to violent behavior. The percentage may be less, even then, there are chances, different children can be affected by these games triggering violent attitude towards normal incidences in life.

So it is safe to prevent playing these types of games as it does not yield anything productive but only increases the chances of making people violent.

Why do we want to play with fire when we know it will burn you!

Haribol!

anand

I used to play a game called "World of Warcraft" which was online roleplaying, where you killed monsters, bad people, even animals (but you could avoid that). All in the computer game. I've played these games for as long as they've been around (although I've been avoiding them for almost a year now /images/graemlins/smile.gif ), and I've never felt compelled to hurt people or other living things in real life.

However, The problem that arises from these sort of games is the association you find. Most players are in very deep mode of ignorance, and speak about very tamasic things. The "sanga" you get playing these games can be quite detrimental to you.

RPG's are maya within maya. Maya squared :P Maya^2

Everyone has habits that aren't conducive to bhakti lata bij growing. Now that we are a younger generation of devotees, we can spend time on Maya^2, like video games, and RPG's :P