IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
stonehearted

Tinnitus

Rate this topic

Relieve the pressure by cleansing the eustachean tubes(and all the sinus) with warm saline irrigation. I use baking soda as it more gentle than ordinary salt.

Then increase the circulation to the area with a naicin flush, no more than 250 mg if you are not used to it and you can increase as tolerance builds. Cayenne powder is also good to equalize circulation.

Worked for me. Good luck, I know what an irritation tinnitus can be.

Should I use one of those bulb thingies to flush the ear? What about ear cones? Are those things on the level?

And by niacin flush, do you mean just taking it orally and buckling up for the flush? How often should I do either of these?

And irritating? A friend's doctor told him a woman in Honolulu recently killed herself out of exasperation. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yes one of those. I use the kind that came with a murine ear cleansing kit. Just tilt your head back and squeeze in the water and let it run down your throat. If the tinnitus is more in one ear then tilt to that side to get more water in that area.

Naicin. The flush means more blood is going to the area but go slow with it. Do it after the nasal irrigation.

I started listening to mine at one point without fighting it. it started to sound like a flute. LOL If you get mad at it it can drive you insane. Sometimes caffein can set it off by constricting blood flow

Never tried the cones but they don't clean the eustachion tubes.

Mine's more like yours than theist's. It's caused by damage to the cilia due to loud noise over many years, and is part and parcel of high-frequency hearing loss. Probably too many amplified kirtans over hte last 35+ years, with someone banging on jhajes (whompers) right next to the microphone. Some people might think Jayadvaita Maharaja is a little nutty with his decibel meter, but I'm right with him there. I see no reason why a kirtan leader's voice needs to be so amplified that it's louder than everyone else's together, or why it needs to be amplified at all if only four or five people are at mangal arati.

Oh, well. . . .

Well, they should be very strictly controlled inside, at the very least. I think they're great for outdoor sankirtan. I think of Bhaktivinoda Thakura's "Arunadaya Kirtan":

udilo aruna puraba-bhage,

dwija-mani gora amani jage,

bhakata-samuha loiya sathe,

gela nagara-braje

When the rising sun appeared in the East, the jewel of the twice-born, Lord Gaurasundara, awakened, and, taking His devotees with Him, He went all over the countryside towns and villages . . .

'tathai tathai bajalo khol,

ghana ghana tahe jhajera rol,

preme dhala dhala sonara anga,

carane nupura baje

. . . and played the mrdanga, and the cymbals chimed in time. Lord Gauranga's shimmering golden features danced, and His footbells jingled.

But the way most devotees play the jhajes doesn't create a chiming sound, but a crashing sound.

Guest guest

heh I figure even now as hearing loss increases I will still always look forward to the unmistakable taste of Rhadha Krsna Prasad for me it is most relishable with me eyes closed anyhow without eyes the smell and taste increase ...gee just see as some senses shut down others come more to life Prasad forever ki jai !

Well, ask them to stop, please! This is incessant, and it has been going on for at least 10 years. I can't imagine anyone thinking of me that much. Who the hell even knows I exist? This is most likely connected with hearing loss due to too much unnecessarily amplified kirtan. And sometimes it can be really annoying.

I got into the habit of wearing ear plugs when I thought I would be at an excessive loud kirtan. They work great. The sound is not blocked it is just softened so your mind is better able to get into it.

Ear plugs are also great for japa.

Gingko helps many tinnutus sufferers.

I am tuning into you pyschically right now Babhru. But I am sending you waves of soft pleasant sounds that border on silence. The sound of waves as they run across the sand and are just at their fullest extention before they reverse and go back out to sea. I love the sound they make.

shshhshshhhshshshh

Thanks, Yesu. I've found ear plugs generally annoying during kirtans because I the ones I've bought dampen the kirtan too much and I hear my voice through my cranial bones. I have often used cotton, though, which seems to help a little. But it was all too late, alas.

I'll try gingko. But I can't hear your ocean over the whining of the tinnitus.

It has been incessant for at least 10 years. And I do have some high-frequency hearing loss. The doctors (who didn't seem very interested in helping me--God, I'm sick of our so-called health-care system) said that what often happens is that when the cilia for particular frequencies are damaged, the nerves for those frequencies fire all the time.