IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Airicky

Iskcon devotee marries Lord Krishna

Rate this topic

Lucknow lady gets engaged to Lord Krishna

Reddiff On The Net -April 10 1999

It is a classical case of childhood worship turning into love. And love -- selfless, impassioned love -- progressing to engagement.

Now all that remains is the marriage. And, as per her schedule, 40-year-old Dr Snehlata Pandey will tie the knot with Lord Krishna in November.

Yes, Lord Krishna. To whom she got engaged on April 6 in a simple ceremony at her Aishbagh road home in Lucknow.

Dr Pandey, an insurance employee and member of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, appeared on her engagement day in a plain maroon silk saree, sleeveless blouse and sandals. Sandalwood paste adorned her forehead. Her fiance was present in the form of a portrait.

As devotional music flowed, the lady performed the tilak ceremony and exchanged rings with Lord Krishna. She touched her ring to the Lord's fingers and slipped it on. The one meant for her fiance, she stuck onto the portrait with dough. Dr Pandey's mother applied tilak to her to-be son-in-law's forehead and presented him with a gold chain, locket and cash.

"There is nothing abnormal about my marriage," Dr Pandey says, "It will fulfill a 15-year-old vow. No other person is more perfect."

A disciple of ISKON's Guru Yogendra Swami, Dr Pandey had taken on the name Shruti Devdasi. She said she consulted her guru about her engagement and had his blessings.

"So many women in Mathura are living happy lives after taking the Lord as their husbands," she says.

Dr Pandey's mother had initially opposed the idea of the holy act, but gave in. As for her brother and elder sister, they see no harm in the marriage "if it made her happy".

Dr Pandey, for her part, is blissfully happy. And is looking forward to living happily ever after with her lord and master.

Guest guest

Odd to say the least - Prabhupada would approve? What ritual shall be performed? Odd to say the least...but if she is happy and not hurting anyone - including herself - then all the more power to her...

I'm afraid this is bogus thing... Marrying Lord Krishna in a ceremony !? I'm not sure what our Beloved Prabhupada would think... Anyway, there's a process we have to follow, we can't do what we want like that...

Perhaps this is something meant be realized internally. A fidelity to the Lord in that mood. Something like the gopis always thinking of the Lord as their paramour. Different mood I know but maybe the same principle.

Once something becomes externalized through ceremonies and such it seems to get misdirected and misunderstood very easily.

No one can ever understand the inner dynamics of two individuals material relationship no matter how close and how well you might think you know them. So it is probably safe to say that the same would hold true with one's relationship with the Lord.

She is strong enough in her convictions of her relationship with Lord Krsna to carry it to this "extreme" (some might say).

So, she has realized her relationship - position with the Lord. Who are we to judge?

I always admired this in the Catholic Nuns. They go thru the ceremony and received a wedding band in their marriage to Christ.

About Catholic nuns and a formal ceremony. I guess I just imagine it being misused and cheapened which is probably an unfair assumption on my part. Although I too wouldn't judge anyone who did this. Not my business.